DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

The Michelle Obama bio video is up.

Michelle's Mom: "When she was younger, I remember how she looked up to us. Now, I look up to her."

Michelle's brother is introducing Michelle. "My name is Craig Robinson and Michelle Obama is my little sister."

"The only reason Michelle was willing to campaign at all was because Mom was there to stay home with the kids."

Michelle Obama is taking the stage...

Michelle Obama: Barack's secret weapon.

"They believed, like you and I believe, that America should be a place you can make it if you try."

"People like Hillary Clinton...APPLAUSE...who put those 18 million cracks in the glass ceiling, so that our daughters and sons can dream a little bigger and aim a little bigger and aim a little higher. People like Joe Biden, who's never forgotten where he came from and never stopped fighting for folks who work long hours and face long odds and need someone on their side again.

All of us driven by a simple belief that the world as it is just won't do. That we have an obligation to fight for the world as it should be. That is the thread that connects our hearts. That is the thread that runs through my journey and Barack's journey and so many other improbable journeys that have brought us here tonight, where the current of history meets this new tide of hope.

That is why I love this country."

Amazing speech, delivery was even better. Was she even reading it? The speech was delivered to us in the blogger lounge but it sort of never seemed as though she was reading.

The Obama girls came out and Barack appeared on the big screen. OK, maybe his daughters are his secret weapon. That was super cute.

Tags: DNCC, Michelle Obama (all tags)

Comments

icecream....

that's the ticket.

by Tatan 2008-08-25 06:28PM | 0 recs
Michelle is hot

Hope I dont get in trouble for writing that. She's the prettiest first lady to be in over 30 years.

Ahem. Ok. where were we again , in this serious political discussion?

by Trey Rentz 2008-08-25 06:40PM | 0 recs
Michelle!

She is magnificent. I'm all choked up.

by Lefty Coaster 2008-08-25 06:41PM | 0 recs

she memorized episodes of the brady bunch!  <3<3<3<3

by Doug Tuttle 2008-08-25 06:43PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

80th anniversery of women winning the right to vote.   yes!  very, VERY good!

by Doug Tuttle 2008-08-25 06:45PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

This is a pretty good speech.... a really good speech.

by zonk 2008-08-25 06:47PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

she might be better than her husband

by Doug Tuttle 2008-08-25 06:49PM | 0 recs
in a lot of ways, yeah

she's better at speaking to each person, in a packed room. His cadence and pacing is better though.

by Neef 2008-08-25 06:51PM | 0 recs
The Campaign calls Michele &quot;The Closer&quot;

With good reason.

by Lefty Coaster 2008-08-25 08:20PM | 0 recs
where'd you hear that? ;-)

by BlogSurrogate57 2008-08-26 04:53AM | 0 recs
non-sequitur, but

do you see Cindy McCain doing this?

Not attacking her, just a contrast that occurred to me.

by Neef 2008-08-25 06:49PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama
This might be the most lackluster and boring convention I have ever seen. YAWN.
So predictable.
by libertarian25 2008-08-25 06:50PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

every party has a pooper and you are the democratic party's pooper. Thanks for being here.

by JDF 2008-08-25 06:58PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

There it is.  The turd in the punchbowl.

by fogiv 2008-08-25 07:03PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

Don't worry libertarian.  I'm sure the Democrats will get into the evils of traffic lights or whatever eventually.

by MeganLocke 2008-08-25 07:10PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

Congratulations on your very first comment at MyDD!

You may want to bone up on trolling 101 before you venture further into the muck.

by January 20 2008-08-25 07:29PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

Until Ted Kennedy came out I'd agree. After that point, it was great. Michelle's is one of the better speeches I've seen in a long time.

by elrod 2008-08-25 08:39PM | 0 recs

Philosophical question:

If a libertarian's house burns, is there anybody there to put it out?

Now, shut yer yap.

by lojasmo 2008-08-26 03:03AM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

Great rhetoric so far, the delivery's not the greatest.  She's a bit nervous and I think's she's
covering too much ground.

But I'm hopeful this humanizes Obama and removes the celebrity image.  It may be too much to move the acceptance speech back to the Pepsi Center.

by esconded 2008-08-25 06:50PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

Well, to be honest Obama may not see that as a bad thing.  She's human.  She's a normal person who finds herself married to the next President of the United States.  She's not a beer heiress, she's not a ketchup heiress (no offense to Theresa Heinz Kerry, I have enormous respect for her, it's just a different image than Michelle is ever going to put out there)  Michelle is a successful woman from Chicago's south side, but she's not part of the American aristocracy, and the fact that she was nervous on the national stage kind of shows that..

I'm not Black, but I look at her and see my mother when my mother was her age, I hear the story about Obama driving home from the hospital and I remember when my dad drove me home from my spinal fusion when I was in elementary school.  And that right there was the goal of the whole speech.

by auronrenouille 2008-08-25 07:04PM | 0 recs
I agree, the nerves and emotion were very human

I thought that her nervousness and the fact that her voice broke at times actually added to the very genuine, very heartfelt speech.

Her voice and message was strong and clear and positive. It hit just the right cord in my opinion... lots of universal human touchstones for all Americans to relate to.

The intro video was absolutely perfect too.

Adorable children at the end didn't hurt either. Cuteness.

I hope she's toasting herself with a tall glass of champagne as we speak!

Michelle Obama for First Lady 2008!

by twinmom 2008-08-25 07:14PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

Just saw CNN reporting that they also believe this is the most boring convention they've ever seen.

Finally, someone in the media tells the truth.

by libertarian25 2008-08-25 06:53PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

nope, that's next week.  my friends, i...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, huh, what?  get off my damn lawn!

by Doug Tuttle 2008-08-25 07:03PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

I let the first one slide.  Now you're just spamming.  I might also add, kindly, that you're an idiot.

Peace.

by fogiv 2008-08-25 07:07PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

When was the Libertarian Convention?  I must have missed that doozy...What did CNN say about it?  Who's your nominee?  I haven't seen any commercials...

by hootie4170 2008-08-25 07:16PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

What's with the little breathless fake crying sounds?   And why is everyone in the audience so bored?

by miker2008 2008-08-25 06:53PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

"Simpering", that's the word I was groping for.    So unlike the Michelle who must've sat through 20 years of Jeremiah Wright's hate mongering.  So unlike the Michelle who said about Hillary "If she can't run control her husband, how can she control the government?"   Or how about the one who said, when asked if she would support Hillary as nominee, "I'd have to think long and hard about that."

And how come she failed to mention the $300,000/year consulting job?

by miker2008 2008-08-25 07:03PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

Bwahhh....Haaaaaa....But you watched it........Bwaaah....Haaaaa....If you don't care why did you watch moron?

You probably make fun of American Idol to everyone you know, then you tevo it and watch it with your blinds pulled, yelling at Simon for being to mean...Do have all the seasons on CD??

Bwaaah....Haaaaa.....Haaaa

by hootie4170 2008-08-25 07:20PM | 0 recs
DIAF

by BrighidG 2008-08-25 07:23PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

You mean all those people crying?  Bored to tears, is that what you're suggesting?

by fogiv 2008-08-25 07:05PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

I think they found, like 2?   Or maybe 3?     Hey that stuff is only moving if you believe that she and Barack have struggled mightily to transcend horrible adversity.   If that makes you cry it's for the same reason that seeing an amputee compete in the Olympics makes you cry.    Hey, her mom was able to stay home with her and her brother.    My wife and I can't stay home with our kids.  We both have to work.   So ... um ... basically if you could see Michelle with color blind eyes, you'd be saying "ho hum".

by miker2008 2008-08-25 07:33PM | 0 recs

Cripes.

Have you ever been to the south side of Chicago?  Opportunity doesn't exactly abound.  They both struggled to get where they are, it wasn't handed to them.

John McCain is who he is because his father was who he was.  The sole reason the guy is a senator is because his claim to fame is being a POW.  Obama worked very hard to get where he is, McCain suffered a very unfortunate 5 years to get where he is.

Your wife may not be able to stay home with your children like Michelle's mother was able to, but McCain couldn't find the house his children were in without consulting his "people."

by asherrem 2008-08-25 07:53PM | 0 recs
Of course they struggled

AA or not.

Average joes don't just fall into Harvard, and then go back to work for their community. Unless there's a trust fund I don't know about, they busted their asses.

by Neef 2008-08-25 08:09PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

Hey, um, hey, wrong. Plenty of people were moved by the speech in one way or another.

Right, two black people from relatively poor, unpriveledged families who've become remarkably successful, and...um...hey, just happen to be in contention to become the first family of the most powerful nation the world has ever known.  Yeah, pretty common.  No adversity along that road.

Are you suggesting that people only find the speech moving becasue the speaker was black?  Is that really your position?

by fogiv 2008-08-25 08:17PM | 0 recs
Was that it?

I thought s/he was saying s/he thought it was boring because the speaker was black.  I thought the commenter was just another racist pr*ck.

My bad.

by GFORD 2008-08-25 09:29PM | 0 recs
she nailed it.

by lizardbox 2008-08-25 06:54PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

paraphrasing Michelle, 'we will vote on our hopes and not on our fears!' ...brilliant!

by KLRinLA 2008-08-25 07:01PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama
She just spoke for 25 minutes and said NOTHING.
Only MSNBC liked it.
by libertarian25 2008-08-25 07:01PM | 0 recs

Maybe if you post it a 4th time, we'll come around to your POV

by zonk 2008-08-25 07:08PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

Did CNN even cover the Libertarian Convention?  Oh, that's right it was at the local Taco Bell in Omaha....All 37 of you ordering Value Meal #4, two soft tacos, a bean burritto and a Fruitista....

by hootie4170 2008-08-25 07:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Oh

<wiping hot sauce of his face>  Sorry to hear that...:)

by hootie4170 2008-08-25 07:40PM | 0 recs
Dang, that was wrong

I wouldn't have been so cruel as to mention my Convention KFC...oops

=)

by Neef 2008-08-25 08:03PM | 0 recs
I'm a cynical

a-hole.

And I got a little teary eyed. Just wow! Out of the park.

by Tatan 2008-08-25 07:02PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

This was a great evening for Democrats.

Those who yearned for attacks are no doubt disappointed, but withv Obama's Democratic base secure, the positive narrative of tonight will resonate with independents.

by Obama44 2008-08-25 07:06PM | 0 recs
Re: That won't work tonight

Those who hunger for red meat will get it.

by Obama44 2008-08-25 08:02PM | 0 recs
Amazing

Great speech, great presentation, well connected with pretty well everything.

The same TV pundits who were only hours ago pining about what a risk this was just gave A+s.

Nice view of the First Family!

by chrisblask 2008-08-25 07:11PM | 0 recs

This is surreal...

Jr. gushing about the nominee 40 years after Sr. was flipping off Senator Ribicoff.

by zonk 2008-08-25 07:14PM | 0 recs

OK...

WTF, people...

Can someone explain the zeros here?

This used to be a political junkie's site, a place to discuss politics.

...and I'm getting TRs because I point out the juxtaposition of Richard M Daley gushing about the nominee -- a nominee I supported, have supported, and continue to support wholeheartedly -- with the actions of his father 40 years ago at the 1968 convention?

What exactly is wrong with some of you people?

Are you that daft, that hyper-sensitive - that when someone muses over the juxtaposition of M to J, you've got a problem with it?

Fer chrissakes, Richard Daley is MY frakkin' mayor... there's plenty I like about him (and quite a bit I don't), but to TR this comment?

What's wrong with you people?

by zonk 2008-08-26 07:27AM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

She hit a home run...How does Cindy McCain even try to compete with that?  I mean, if she watched this, she has to be saying Holy Fuck.

Michelle actually could run for Congress, everything was genuine and came off true....

by hootie4170 2008-08-25 07:25PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

I thought that speech was fantastic.  I'm hoping that she succeeded in showing the common humanity of the Obama family's experiences to those who "don't know enough about him."

by Dreorg 2008-08-25 07:34PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

This was an amazing speach.  I do think that Michelle hit a home run.  Everytime I hear some right winger talk about what a radical BlackPanther, hate-whitey person that she is, I just want to bash their heads in with a tire iron.
It is bad enough that the President is a moron, we shouldnt all strive for that.

I do hope that enough of the undecideds do watch this and realize what a thoughtful, intelligent, caring, patriotic person that Michelle is.  She is obviously a wonderful mom and she will make a wonderful 1st lady.

by gavoter 2008-08-25 07:41PM | 0 recs
I have a crush on Obama

Michelle Obama, that is.

"Hot" doesn't really do her justice. She's beautiful, yes, but the beauty is way, way more than skin deep.  She's a soulful, authentic, and downright compelling person who happens to be physically beautiful to boot -- rather like her husband.

And those are the sweetest kids.

I think "I love you daddy" is the money quote.  A little girl p0wned the GOP hate machine tonight.  Totally awesome.

The Obama family represents everything good about the United States, everything you want to believe is possible.

Great, great job Michelle.  Barack sure is a lucky, lucky man.

by realcountrymusic 2008-08-25 08:10PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

Nothing Michelle Obama or Barack Obama could say could change my mind.  When she was saying that crap was she thinking about the things her husband did to those people in impoverished housing?  Did she think about the Maytag people who thought that Obama was going to help them?  And what about those African American voters he disenfranchised?  As an African American I could never forgive him for that.  We have enough to contend with without being disenfranchised by our own people, political bean bags or not.  And what have the Obamas to do with getting women the right to vote?  Is that so that Obama, being the man that he is, can put up a finger to women?  Insulting mutt.  I still haven't figured out what was in that kool aid you all drank that made bots out of you, and I don't want to know either.  I just haven't figured out how things got this bad, turned into a nightmare I can't even wake up from, no matter how hard I try.  I even know it's going to get much worse before it can ever get better.  I'll be glad when this farce is over.

by 1Jazzylady 2008-08-25 09:00PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

I was wondering why I was only seeing about half of the comments.  I had read that MyDD was being overun with trolls but hadn't read any yet.

Your first comment diserves my first TR.  Go home, troll.

by blueAZ 2008-08-25 09:08PM | 0 recs
some of us

have fun mocking the trolls.

not me though.

by BlogSurrogate57 2008-08-26 04:59AM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

Took you a lot of words to say "I'm a douche"

Brava.

by lojasmo 2008-08-26 03:22AM | 0 recs

Bravo!

That was one of the great non-sensical rants I've ever seen here. You must be commended for your awesome trollish-ness.

by PSUdan 2008-08-26 06:13AM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

As an intro it was quite good. Very much what they needed to start. Tommorrow and Wednesday must however be about the contrast. and ends with Obama's vision

by bruh3 2008-08-25 10:36PM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

I think the history is great.  Both her and Obama have great stories to tell.    They rose up to where they are today on their own with the help of their families.

However, I do think it is a stretch for them to try and paint themselves as just like you and me.  She has a $300,000+ job that just allows her to takes months off to campaign, no problems, and Barack gets paid large for his books.   They live in a million dollar home.

I think overplaying their we're just like you thing could backfire.

The positive from last night, in my mind, is that they managed to soften Michelle's image.  I think a lot of people viewed her as harsh on the campaign trail during the primaries.   There was none of that last night.

But color be old fashioned I still don't know what the heck first ladies have to do with elections anyway.  Not one vote will be cast for Mrs. Obama or Mrs. McCain.

by RichardFlatts 2008-08-26 06:19AM | 0 recs
Re: DNCC Live Thread - Michelle Obama

Michelle Obama is AWESOME!

I hope that my daughter gets 8 years of this woman as a very public example of class, smarts, style, and toughness.

by lockewasright 2008-08-26 08:23AM | 0 recs