No Nunn, no Kerry, nobody knows

Nunn is out of the country. I've also got good word that its not Kerry. So, back to Daschle? Maybe, or how about Reed?

Obama and about 5 people know now, and they are good at keeping the secret.

Update [2008-8-21 17:20:19 by Todd Beeton]:A friend is telling me that CNN is reporting that the announcement will come "any minute."

Update [2008-8-21 18:17:52 by Todd Beeton]:Why the announcement may not be imminent at all. From The Fix:

One other interesting side note about the housing story: If Obama's campaign had planned to roll out their vice presidential pick at any point today, that announcement is likely to be put on hold. Why? The campaign believes the story about McCain's many houses is political gold and they won't want to step on it with a veep announcement that would immediately change the day's storyline.

Update [2008-8-21 21:13:6 by Jerome Armstrong]: The Page is thinking that Obama's signal today saying that"I want somebody who's independent, somebody who can push against my preconceived notions and challenge me so we have got a robust debate in the White House."

... means Dick Lugar, who has already endorsed McCain?!?! Man overboard!!!!

Update [2008-8-21 22:18:55 by Jerome Armstrong]: Tom Watson, with his thoughts concluding the night. We will know tomorrow.

Tags: VP (all tags)

Comments

Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Clinton.  Or maybe Schweitzer.  Or Kaine.  Yeah, one of them.  Or maybe he's been working on Warner?  Yeah, lets just keep right on tossing names out like we had any idea.

by Whash 2008-08-21 01:08PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

I dont understand Kaine is antichoice and against stem cell research.  He is no different then lieberman.  He is not progressive.

david

by giusd 2008-08-21 01:19PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Uh, Lieberman is strongly pro-life and for stem cell research.

And Obama's choice will not be a progressive.  It'll be a pretty mainstream middle of the road Dem.  They'll also probably be Catholic, and have personal issues with abortion (while understanding the need to preserve Roe v. Wade), just like the vast majority of working class White Dems, especially the Catholic ones.

by Whash 2008-08-21 01:25PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Who doesn't have personal issues with abortion? I don't mean to make this a long argument thread... But we're pro choice) not pro abortion.

by recusancy 2008-08-21 01:28PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

But when Catholics like Kaine state it (even when they also say they support Roe v. Wade), people freak out and lump them in with actual anti-choice people.

by Whash 2008-08-21 01:33PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Come on he doesnt support stem cell research.  These are left over cells from in vitro fertilizaiton.  They are not a human being and they could provide advancements for many human diseases.  WTF.  Cant we do better than him.

david

by giusd 2008-08-21 01:35PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Name me a VP possibility, and I'll tell you a good reason they suck.

by Whash 2008-08-21 01:37PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Maybe...  But then again, if he doesn't do anything to prevent it or make abortio illegal, etc.... I don't think that their personal opinion is always whats relevent.... Look at Kaines Death Penalty stance, against it, but he follows the people's will on that issue.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-21 02:58PM | 0 recs

Lieberman is pro-choice.

by rapcetera 2008-08-21 04:48PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Lieberman is pro-choice, not pro-life.  That's what the whole Republican pro-choice test ballon was all about.

by Denny Crane 2008-08-21 05:16PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Yeah, but only one of them is speaking at the Republican National Convention.

by Skaje 2008-08-21 02:00PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

If it was Schweitzer that would be awesome. And Obama will be in Montana the on Wed (when the vp speaks).

by recusancy 2008-08-21 01:22PM | 0 recs
If McCain hadn't stepped in ____ today...

...we'd probably know. Unless it was someone famous who requires no intriduction.

But I'm still glad McCain gave the Obama campaign some much needed political gold.

I'm starting to think it's going to be Clinton.

by iohs2008 2008-08-21 01:09PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Not Biden.  Obama hint today suggests economics and someone with whom he will disagree at times.

Obama said he wanted somebody who is "prepared to be president" and who will be "a partner with me in strengthening this economy for the middle class and working families."

He said he was looking for not just a partner but a sparring partner. "I want somebody who's independent, somebody who can push against my preconceived notions and challenge me so we have got a robust debate in the White House."

Clinton?  Bayh?  Sparring partner?

by TomP 2008-08-21 01:11PM | 0 recs

Clearly must be Clinton.

by Whash 2008-08-21 01:12PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

The comments do suggest that it might be Clinton.  She certainly would have the helping working families part along with challenging him.  I would be very pleased with it ... but I've got my doubts.

In saying that, the comments seem to suggest someone that's in the middle, more DLC-ish ... maybe Bayh.

Btw, anyone think Vilsack gets a Cabinet spot?  I'm a fan.

by toonsterwu 2008-08-21 01:14PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

You don't think Biden would challenge Obama?

by toonsterwu 2008-08-21 01:12PM | 0 recs

To what?

A nice game of scrabble while they are on the the campaign plane?

by WashStateBlue 2008-08-21 01:17PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

I think Biden is a very opinionated guy who knows a lot about foreign policy and thinks he knows even more.  It would be hard to imagine him being anything other than assertive as VP.

by Steve M 2008-08-21 01:27PM | 0 recs
Obama is confident on

foreign policy.  The "hint" suggests economic issues.  Biden is the big foreign policy guy.  Not that he would not challenge him, but that Obama is not going FP.  All just a guess.

by TomP 2008-08-21 01:34PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Too bad... any candidate that can make poop jokes to the press is #1 in my book... or, should I say, #2!

by LordMike 2008-08-21 06:04PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

As a Clinton person she would be a big positive for me, and strategically I think she makes a lot of sense. Nice to see him rolling out the "team of rivals" bit again, I like him better when he acknowledges his weaknesses.

But I can understand his campaign's "overshadowing" fear. A lot of people, comparing them on the national stage, will wonder why she's got second billing. I don't think Obama will risk it. I'm still hoping/guessing Biden, the choice that would least piss me off.

Bayh? How is he a sparring partner? I'm not aware of any specific issue where they disagree.

by souvarine 2008-08-21 07:36PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

My guess is that (and I have nothing to base it on) scheduling Tim Kaine last in this mini-whirlwind is sort of throwing Kaine a bone, getting him some last second national publicity whereas guys like Biden/Bayh/Richardson have more national recognition.

I think this has been Biden's to lose for awhile.  I'm sticking with Biden being the nod here, as we have Minner to put another Dem in there, and Biden is coming off a high profile foreign policy visit, thus giving Obama a good thrust to the McCain counters on FP and experience.

In a for fun scenario - if it's Obama/Biden, I'd guess

SecState - Richardson
SecDef - Clark?  Nunn?

I wonder what Cabinet slot Kaine gets.  To be honest, if went the Moore route of Caroline Kennedy, I think I would be intrigued.  That said, I don't expect that.

Of course, the counter might be that he had such a superb meeting with Kaine that solidified things, but I doubt it.

by toonsterwu 2008-08-21 01:12PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Might as well get in on the speculation while I can...

Could be he's wanted Warner all along and wanted to boost's Kaine's profile as the replacement Senate candidate.

We'll all know soon enough and be able focus on next week!

by alamedadem 2008-08-21 02:57PM | 0 recs
that would be awesome

Obama/Warner sounds awfully strong.

by highgrade 2008-08-21 03:37PM | 0 recs
Re: that would be awesome

Kaine should be able to trounce Gilmore.  Kaine/Gilmore could also delude the GOP into spending a lot of their sparse $$$, thinking it's NJ!

by alamedadem 2008-08-21 04:13PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Might as well get in on the speculation while I can...

We'll all know soon enough and be able focus on next week!

by alamedadem 2008-08-21 02:57PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Jerome's secret sources are pretty awesome.  Mine tell me it will not be Mike Gravel.  Whose sources are superior?

I've always been skeptical of arguments that attempt to divine the VP choice based upon convention schedules, for the simple reason that if the VP decision were factored into the schedule already, a lot more people would have to be in the know (meaning it would get leaked).  Rather, I assume they'll just take 5 minutes to reshuffle the convention schedule if need be.

If I must make a prediction, here is mine.

by Steve M 2008-08-21 01:14PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

MY SOURCES tell me that it isn't Bill Clinton.  NOR will it be Jimmy Carter or Ted Kennedy.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-21 02:24PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

The key is to make multiple predictions and litter them throughout the internets.... then you'll be right.

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-08-21 05:56PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Daschule no, Reed, a dark horse maybe.

Come on Obama, throuw me the big fat curve ball.

I still have heard NO downside to Wes Clark.

Give me the General, and I will forget about all the miserable polls.

by WashStateBlue 2008-08-21 01:19PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

All the miserable polls which show obama ahead (except one)

Miserable in what way?

(cue: buy why isn't he doing BETTER!?!?!)

by lojasmo 2008-08-21 01:33PM | 0 recs
I can haz Obama/Clark plz?

Prity plz?

by Elsinora 2008-08-21 03:55PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Clark is not a good politician. I know folks loved his comments about McCain not being ready for President based on his POW record. I agree, obviously. But Clark just isn't very good at campaigning. He'd a be a great SecDef.

by elrod 2008-08-21 08:38PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

FWIW, Kristol on RCP speculates that it will be Reed. I assume that dooms his shot at VP. ;)

by tietack 2008-08-21 01:19PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Compared to some of the others mentioned, I'd love Reed.  He'd be a great choice, even if he isn't well known.  But then again, did most people know who Dick Cheney was in 2000  or Bill Clinton and Al Gore in 1992.   I mean, Joe Average might hear their name but at that point Tipper might have been the better known Gore to the Low info voter.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-21 02:25PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

I'm no fan of Reed, but he couldn't do more harm as VP than he did as Senate Majority Leader.

Plus, it would clear that position for Clinton.  That could be the deal that was struck....

by jbhelfrich 2008-08-21 02:41PM | 0 recs
Wrong "Reed"

They are talking about Jack Reed from RI, not Harry Reid from NV.

by Blue Bear 2008-08-21 04:04PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

you know what I can't wait for?

When this announcement is over.  I'm more curious about the makeup of his Cabinet than I really am about VP in all honesty.

by toonsterwu 2008-08-21 01:22PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Agreed.  And much more interested in who he'd have lined up for the Supreme Court (not that he'd be telling us now, but have some perspective on relative importance of these positions).

by milton333 2008-08-21 02:15PM | 0 recs

Not Kaine or Sebelius:

http://blogs.chron.com/texaspolitics/arc hives/2008/08/scratch_two_fro.html

by mikes101 2008-08-21 01:24PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

I don't think that means anything.  Remember, whoever Obama's chosen doesn't even know at this point, much less whenever it was that Kaine and Sebelius made those plans.

by Koan 2008-08-21 05:51PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

I am watching Cnn, and I better get my text first.

by Sylden37 2008-08-21 01:25PM | 0 recs
Any minute

"Any minute" as in very, very soon, or "any minute" as in any time from now until Saturday?

by tilthouse 2008-08-21 01:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Any minute

CNN made it sound like "it could come at any minute" (as in now til saturday) as opposed to it may come "any minute now" (as in very soon).

by BlueGAinDC 2008-08-21 01:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Any minute

I certainly don't think it would be today. why in the world would they want to step on such a good story? If they announce the VP pick today, all the news shows would talk about that instead of the McCain house flap. You can tell it's really getting under McCain's skin. They are flailing in response and firing off all their oppo ammo. Fine by me. I'd just as soon get it out now to give it time to dissipate.

by jadegirl 2008-08-21 01:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Any minute

I would agree, except that I think Obama planned his announcement time already. It may not have been set for today, but if it was, i think its unlikely that it would be pushed back, because I think that a VP rollout is more important in the long run.

That said, I think it was always going to be Sat morning, but who knows?

by BlueGAinDC 2008-08-21 01:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Any minute

Will they just get on with it!

I notice though that when I texted 62262, I got a follow-up asking me for my zip code for updates on when Barack will be in my area...

So the upside for them here is that the campaign is getting a ton of cell phones to blanket message during the coming months.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-08-21 01:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Any minute

And emails.

This was always mostly a ploy to improve and expand the voter file.  That these are textable mobile phones that you can, say, remind people to vote (or vote early, in some states) is a nice bonus.

by tilthouse 2008-08-21 01:36PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

I hope and pray it is Clinton.

by W126 2008-08-21 01:28PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Put not your faith in princes (or princesses, for that matter).

by Reaper0Bot0 2008-08-21 01:38PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Whoever it is, they better not have more than one house.  Preferably a cozy bungalow, or better yet a van down by the river.

by Steve M 2008-08-21 01:28PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Feingold has less in the bank than he owes on his single house.

He also drives an $8K car.

Just saying.

by lojasmo 2008-08-21 01:34PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

From your lips to God's ear.  Biden also has limited means, if we want to go down that road.  Oh, and I hear Hillary Clinton is in a lot of debt... heh.

by Steve M 2008-08-21 01:38PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Van by the River?  I can see the Wingnut pundits now talking about the Dem Pedophile VP with his van by the river.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-21 02:27PM | 0 recs

Neil Young?  Oh damn, he's Canadian  :-(

by Calvin Jones and the 13th Apostle 2008-08-21 09:02PM | 0 recs
Any minute?

Why would they ruin this great coverage of "Nine-Houses" McCain by taking the media's attention away from it?

by Bush Bites 2008-08-21 01:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Any minute?

They won't. There's no way it comes today.

by recusancy 2008-08-21 01:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Any minute?

Maybe to drown out McCain's soon-to-be-released BS Rezko ad.

by rfahey22 2008-08-21 01:36PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

VP choice probably not coming today because of the McMansion story... I'm guessing that Obama would like this to saturate the airwaves before he announces his choice.  My guess is that it was originally going to come tonight, but will now probably come Saturday morning just before the event.

If it were to come tonight, though, it'd probably be by 6PM.

by leshrac55 2008-08-21 01:38PM | 0 recs
My Prediction

He'll text message his choice to supporters tomorrow afternoon so that his choice will dominate the Friday news cycle, then make the official announcement on Saturday in Springfield.

by Zzyzzy 2008-08-21 01:52PM | 0 recs
Re: My Prediction

Friday evening is kind of dead time; I bet he announces early tomorrow AM, to catch the Friday morning shows.

by davisb 2008-08-21 01:55PM | 0 recs
Evan Bayh Seems To Fit the Profile

Obama appears to state that he wants someone to be (1) Low Profile, (2) Complement his strengths (in other words be experienced), (3) Be able to disagree with him (Conservative wing of the party).

Of the major candidates mentioned, Evan Bayh fits the profile best.

by Zzyzzy 2008-08-21 01:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Evan Bayh Seems To Fit the Profile

God I hope not.  I vomit in my mouth thinking about it.  If Hillary had won, It would have been very hard for me to vote for that ticket.  I probably still would have but it would have been hard.

by yitbos96bb 2008-08-21 02:56PM | 0 recs
Are you stupid or something?

Seriously!!  Pro-life, 100 years war, Keating 5/Abramoff, privatized social security, "portable" health care, tax cuts for the rich, McSame is even a consideration!?!?!?

by ScienceTeacher118 2008-08-21 05:46PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

"1) Low Profile, (2) Complement his strengths (in other words be experienced), (3) Be able to disagree with him"

Gotta to be Gravel folks. Turn Alaska Blue!

by alexmhogan 2008-08-21 01:59PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

I don't think it will be any of the so-called frontrunners (as if there the media has any idea who the true VP frontrunners are).

My left-field guesses:

Sen. Jon Tester of Montana
Sen. Sherrod Brown of Ohio

Both of them reinforce the ticket in important ways, without giving the Republicans ammo.   And of course their electoral benefits are immediately obvious, unlike Biden's or Sebelius'.

by Skaje 2008-08-21 02:03PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Here's the thing about the "left-field" guesses... Wouldn't Obama have had to meet them in person at some point?  I just don't know that he'd pick someone that he hasn't had a chance to meet with, and I don't know if he's met with any of these people.

That's why it almost seems like it has to come from the "short-list" or the small number of "longer shots" (like Clinton and Clark).

by leshrac55 2008-08-21 02:26PM | 0 recs
i was hoping it was nunn

the fact that he's out of the country really put an end to that speculation?

by ab03 2008-08-21 02:10PM | 0 recs
They can step on Rezko ad McCain is planning!

by indydem99 2008-08-21 02:35PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

from a TV news/newspaper perspective ---- the ideal time to announce was this morning

Saturday MSM is usually a poor newsday but Friday and Sunday are usually great, so an announcement tomorrow (which would be geared for Sunday Talk shows and post Olympic news would really limit Obama to Sunday and the preconvention hoopla)

I'm still betting on Biden, he fits well with many demographics but more importantly he's a great campaigner

by kmwray 2008-08-21 03:01PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

Where is the mention of "low profile"?

- Matt

by mjc888 2008-08-21 03:10PM | 0 recs
We won't see the VP and Obama togeather untill Sat

Which makes me think we won't see the Txt until all the Sat papers hit the press.

Then the Sunday newspapers and Sunday shows will be buzzing with the VP.

Friday would be a dumb day to roll it out. So it was today or Saturday. And I think it's gonna be Saturday.

by Populista 2008-08-21 03:42PM | 0 recs
Re: We won't see the VP and Obama togeather untill

You didn't get the email?

Its Clinton.

by dtaylor2 2008-08-21 04:32PM | 0 recs
Re: We won't see the VP and Obama togeather untill

My txt sez it's Quayle.

by hilltard 2008-08-21 05:48PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry nobody knows

I give them this the many houses is political gold but they should have steered it towards this man is so rich he doesn't know how many houses, cars, boats etc he has.

Anything to stay AWAY from houses.

by dtaylor2 2008-08-21 04:30PM | 0 recs
Dick Lugar
I hope that Obama is not a ``dickhead'' to name a Republican.
Sorry for the pun, but that will clearly mean defeat for him.
by ann0nymous 2008-08-21 05:18PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry, nobody knows

Lugar would be ridiculous...

Isn't the fact that Clinton challenged him during the primary mean that it could be her?

And I'm not saying she necessarily my top choice, but it seems like his chatter about it doesn't exclude Clinton.

by leshrac55 2008-08-21 05:35PM | 0 recs
Colin Powell

I'm just sayin'

by ScienceTeacher118 2008-08-21 05:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Colin Powell

Colin Powell is the only non Clinton candidate I could see.

He does offer something that none of the white candidates can.

by dtaylor2 2008-08-21 06:43PM | 0 recs
It would be an awesome choice

But I don't think America would be ready for that. I f it were to be Powell, it would be Clark.

by iohs2008 2008-08-21 07:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Colin Powell

He's a Republican.

by carrieboberry 2008-08-22 02:08AM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry, nobody knows

There's zero chance that Obama's going to name a Republican, or any other conservative (Dem or Repub). Here's why:

1. He wants our money.

1. He needs our money.
  2. He won't get our money.
  3. He's announcing via text message to us, and he won't do something for us that would also serve to fire us up in a negative way.

His pick will be someone who is well received, more or less, by his grassroots campaign contributors. A populist of some kind.

by mikeplugh 2008-08-21 05:37PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry, nobody knows

As a life long Democrat resident of Indiana, I would rather have Lugar than Bayh.

by DemoDan 2008-08-21 05:39PM | 0 recs
If it's HRC...

she'll have to cancel the speech she is scheduled to give on Sunday in Fresno, CA before a Hispanic group.  She's going to be in New York tomorrow but her schedule is free on Saturday.

I don't see why Obama had to stretch out this entire week for Joe Biden; did Biden need a couple days of rest back from Georgia?  All it did was ram up speculation about HRC, which is risky as hell.

by Blazers Edge 2008-08-21 06:10PM | 0 recs
Re: If it's HRC...

If its anyone but Hillary its been risky as hell for weeks.

by dtaylor2 2008-08-21 06:44PM | 0 recs
If it's anyone but Hillary

the world will explode and we'll all die!!  AMIRITE dtaylor2?

by JJE 2008-08-21 07:28PM | 0 recs
Re: If it's HRC...

If it IS Hillary, it's less vital to be reaching out to the swing states, since it's not like Obama would have to define her or their history. People know what they're getting and any extra stuff would be known by the convention.q

by vcalzone 2008-08-21 06:58PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry, nobody knows

I'm not sure Obama intended this through his words about the VP selection, but suddenly CNN is all "Hillary, Hillary, Hillary."

It's been awhile.

by mjc888 2008-08-21 06:11PM | 0 recs
He made a mistake then if it's not

her; I don't know what he was thinking when he made that comment today about his veep.  While it sounds generic, the person that fits that characterization (someone who is going to challenge me in the White House) the most is HRC.  Some will say that fits Biden as well but c'mon, most people forgot Biden even ran for the presidency.  Seriously, who's the person that comes to your mind first when Obama mentions "someone who is going to challenge me."  Obama had to know the media would take it that way, especially in light of the last two national polls.

Of course, it could be fricking Hagel as well.  I am hoping against hell that it's not.

by Blazers Edge 2008-08-21 06:15PM | 0 recs
Re: He made a mistake then if it's not

He needs to soften the blow to the fringe of his support who hate her.

by dtaylor2 2008-08-21 06:45PM | 0 recs
Re: No Nunn, no Kerry, nobody knows

HomeDiariesBreaking BlueE-Wire 2008   Display:  ThreadedMinimalNestedFlatFlat Unthreaded Rate?  YesNoHide

Permalink :: 7 Comments :: Post a Comment

Re: Open Thread (none / 0)

my veep picks of the media choices (one's the media says are on the short list)

1.  Joe Biden.  foriegn policy, fighter, don't have to worry about him looking to 2012.  just make sure he doesn't do any gaffes.

2.  Evan Bayh.  regional similar ages, reinforces generational shift ala bill Clinton (bill-dawg!).  moderate with gov and foriegn policy experience.

3.  kaine.  meh.  i'd take sebilius over him if i wasn't terrified of clinton supporter backlash.

veep choices of possibilities not talked about in media (ya know, the ones most likely to get it :P)

1. daschle.  former majority/minority leader.  faced tough races, no stranger to a national stage.  experience in spades, midwest appeal, could make sd MORE competetive. GO YOTES!

2. Hillary (Hill-cat!  meant to be  positive nickname).  it would heal the party, bring back oh/fl, solidify pen/mich.  more importantly, her attention to details will help both in office and on the campaign trail.  plus she'll be able to go negative for him (as any veep is expected to do).  i think (as does my neighbor) that this could happen.  he's using the rolecall vote as a way to say i got the most delegates, but look how close she was.  we had catharsis, now it's time to join together and defeat the greater evil.

FU-SION- HA!!

3.  Bill Richardson.  gen thing like bayh, but reinforces change.  gubernatorial, house, foriegn policy experience.  only X-factors, clnton backlash?  backlash by the REALLY nuuty anti-immigration people?  are te stories of him being a womanizer true?  (if so, replace with Reed)

by Doug Tuttle 2008-08-21 06:19PM | 0 recs
Obama deserves some credit

In past years, I've seen campaigns drag prospective veeps around in front of the press and the crowds. In 1988, Dukakis was in Ohio and said "wouldn't John Glenn be a great Vice President?" And of course we don't need to get into Jesse Jackson. Obama has not gone out of his way to squash rumors, but this vetting is very well run at least in terms of keeping mum. If we win, Caroline may deserve a place in the Obama Administration.

by RandyMI 2008-08-21 06:28PM | 0 recs
Chuck Hagel?

by RandyMI 2008-08-21 06:47PM | 0 recs
please no Republicans

That means no Hagel and no Lugar. To blur the ideological party lines is one thing but to actually choose a Republican and make it Republican-lite is to take Daschle-ization to the extreme. Clinton, Biden and Bayh are good choices and the rest are soporific.

by tarheel74 2008-08-21 07:05PM | 0 recs
Since the press and the Obama camp

has turned this into such a huge media game, building it up daily, hints and silliness, anyone who does not make the masses go WOW...will be a dud  And right now, imo, the only WOW people are Hillary or a rethug.

It's his own doing.......

by Jjc2008 2008-08-21 07:12PM | 0 recs
Lugar would be interesting

He's always been my favorite Republican. Something about him puts me at ease. I disagree with him on plenty, but he's a solid guy and qualifies as a moderate in today's GOP.

But no ticket has crossed party lines since 1864 (Lincoln/Johnson). I just don't see it happening, unless Lugar actually switched parties.

by elrod 2008-08-21 08:45PM | 0 recs
I have been out on a limb with Gephardt . . .

but now it looks like Hillary. I've been seeing people posting on various sites with what seems reasonably credible info that the text message will go out tomorrow.

For the record I will stick with Gephardt, but the Hillay scenario makes more sense all the time.

by Davidsfr 2008-08-21 09:06PM | 0 recs
Re: I have been out on a limb with Gephardt . . .

I'll be mightily impressed with her if she accepts the VP spot when she knows it's a bit of a sacrifice. Far greater men than her have not measured up to that example.

by vcalzone 2008-08-21 09:28PM | 0 recs
Re: I have been out on a limb with Gephardt . . .

Wait. LOL, "far greater" isn't what I meant. That's an insult. Let me just say "other great".

by vcalzone 2008-08-21 09:29PM | 0 recs
Tom Watson is smoking something

The Watson post saying how it has to be Clinton is pretty silly.  Polls have shown that Obama is not underperforming among the working class, nor is he underperforming among whites.  The Bradley Effect is apparently an artifact of the 1980's, since Obama overperformed the polls in most primaries.

He and his campaign have made alot of good decisions to get to this point - it's time for us duffers and faux oracles to stand back and let him do his thing.

by CA Pol Junkie 2008-08-21 09:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Tom Watson is smoking something

BULL. Polls show that he has a very real problem with Democrats. That is by no means guaranteed to get better. If you want to say that he doesn't need Hillary to fix this, that's fine. But don't pretend he doesnp't have a lot of work to do.

by vcalzone 2008-08-21 10:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Tom Watson is smoking something

Huh?  Obama is maxed out with blacks and latinos.  Therefore, if he wants to go up, he needs to improve with whites.

by mjc888 2008-08-22 03:24AM | 0 recs