Obama's VP: Daschle

I had to make a prediction, so there it is now.

We know Obama likes Daschle, we know Daschle was vetted, and we know he has a speaker slot on Wed. We even know he's floated as a potential CoS in the WH. It makes sense too, of the whole VP process we've been watching unfold for Obama.

What do you think of an Obama/Daschle ticket?

What Daschle has said this week about the VP slot:

Former South Dakota Sen. Tom Daschle, a close Obama adviser, said Monday he had given the campaign personal information needed to examine the background of potential vice presidential nominees but was confident he wouldn't be selected."I did give ... documents a long time ago, but these matters have been resolved for a long time now as far as I'm concerned," Daschle told The Associated Press in an interview.

Daschle said, “It’s clear that there are certain candidates who would improve the chances” of the campaign in certain states. But, he added, that he’s advised Obama to make his decision primarily on two factors. “Pick somebody first that can take your job if you’re not here,” Daschle said. “And, second, somebody for whom you have good personal chemistry because you’re going to work together for the next eight years so you might as well like it.”

Update [2008-8-19 23:55:14 by Jerome Armstrong]: I missed this at the end of last week, but Markos also is picking Daschle. He points back to a Trapper John prediction of it on July 30th. Now, Trapper John couldn't have been more wrong, given the last three weeks of McCain gains, in his summation of where Obama's candidacy stands against McCain, but his logic for why Daschle is still sound.

Tags: Obama's VP, Tom Daschle (all tags)

Comments

Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

I would definitely take it, and I agree it's a good dark horse guess. He's just barely progressive enough to add momentum to the movement, and he's old enough that he won't be seen as the heir apparent, giving an opportunity to push the envelope further in 8 years.

by greenvtster 2008-08-19 07:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

It was rumored earlier in the campaign that Daschle is Obama's choice for Chief of staff

by Best in Show 2008-08-19 09:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

and...according to Steve Clemons : Tom Daschle and Evan Bayh were called and told they will not be 'it' according to several sources.

by Best in Show 2008-08-19 10:47PM | 0 recs
Ha ha

You're just trying to dump your worthless Dem.VP.Daschle stock on intrade.com

by Dale Johnson 007 2008-08-19 07:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

Um, could you explain how it makes sense?  Who does he help us with?

by rfahey22 2008-08-19 07:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

Posting on the fly.... yea, I filled out a few thoughts.

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-08-19 07:28PM | 0 recs

Listen up, kiddo:

VP is a worthless position. You get 3 days of press and then it's all over. The VP brings 1-2 points in their homestate (if even), and that's it.

It doesn't "help you" with anything. All you can do is stab yourself by picking someone who everyone hates. Beyond that, you should pick someone you trust.

by Dale Johnson 007 2008-08-19 07:29PM | 0 recs

best V.P post yet;)

by Dog Chains 2008-08-19 07:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

Missing component - The most important part of the VP is being a person capable of filling the role of the Presidency in the wake of the most awful tragedy.  Too often sheer electoral value is put ahead of that (more) important measure.

by mp 2008-08-19 07:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

Well that goes without saying.

My main point though was that the political considerations are overwraught. All you can do is harm. Beyond that, you are more likely to cause boredom.

by Dale Johnson 007 2008-08-19 07:41PM | 0 recs

This man excites NO ONE!

He is a non-choice, as if a VP pick didn't happen.

by GoldLame 2008-08-19 07:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

I'm sorry to say, but I agree with you 100%.

He'd be met with a collective shrug by the media, and by the general public, and we'd go right back to the campaign as if the VP pick never happened and didn't matter.

by dcg2 2008-08-19 09:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

One to two points in a key state like Virginia could be the deciding factor of this election.

Also, look at Cheney and see just how damaging a VP can be.  He's done far more behind the scenes work for the neo-cons than Bush ever had a chance too.

VP matters.  I hope it ain't Daschel.  Someone from Virginia or Richardson are my hopes.

by jlars 2008-08-19 07:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

1-2 points in a key state can make the difference sure. But should a President enslave themself to calculations about who can POSSIBLY deliver 1-2 points in a close battleground state? Not really.

Can Bayh improve Obama's standing in Indiana by a couple of points? Probably. But if Obama wins Indiana, he's probably also won Ohio, so it's a moot point.

Can Kaine improve Obama's standing in Virginia by 2 points? No. I love Tim Kaine, but he's a generic Dem in Virginia. He will add little to the ticket in his homestate. Obama is already overperforming in Virginia. Beyond a few parents of VT students who were impressed by his speech following the VT tragedy, I'm not sure what he can do. I don't think he could even move a half of a point.

Nor could Webb, for that matter. When pollsters run trial heats between Webb and Allen, it's still a tight race.

Warner could get us that 1-2 points. But he's not going to be the nominee.

So again, Obama should pick someone he trusts, let the newscycle pass, then move on to other things.

by Dale Johnson 007 2008-08-19 07:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

But how much good has he done from a Bush perspective? If it had been someone much more palatable, would Congress have been more likely to impeach him? Would Bush be forced to take most all the blame for his actions?

by vcalzone 2008-08-19 07:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

HAHAHAHAHA... Daschle? lol HAHAHA!

by js noble 2008-08-19 07:27PM | 0 recs

exactly.

by GoldLame 2008-08-19 08:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con tent/article/2006/02/12/AR2006021201174. html

Warrantless Wiretapping is not ok.  Obama's collapse on the issue was disheartening, adding an original supporter of the program to the ticket would be awful.

It will be Dodd (I Hope.)

by mp 2008-08-19 07:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

I cannot throw up enough.

by James Earl 2008-08-19 07:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

Nor I. Not even if I had Daschle's shoes to hurl on.

by urban shocker 2008-08-19 07:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

Well, Daschle could make up for Obama's lack of boringness.

by randomscientist 2008-08-19 07:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

The guy couldn't even win reelection to his own state.  If Obama picks Daschle, he'll suffer the fate he deserves for making such an idiotic choice.

by markjay 2008-08-19 07:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

Second that one--he adds nothing, and he's not adding any votes if he couldn't win reelection.

Why would Obama pick an insider who voted for the Iraq war?  Might as we1l change his name to Barry Soetero after he loses on November 4.

by esconded 2008-08-19 07:57PM | 0 recs

I couldn't agree more.

In my opinion, though, if Obama can't suck it up and select Clinton (totally for the sake of unity), then he should at least - at the VERY least - select someone who did not vote for the war resolution.

by GoldLame 2008-08-19 08:05PM | 0 recs
I hope

that this is the worst prediction you have ever made...or will ever make !!

by SevenStrings 2008-08-19 07:40PM | 0 recs
That's saying a whole lot

Anyone remember the prediction of Hawaii going for Clinton?

by alex100 2008-08-20 07:19AM | 0 recs
I hope not

Not only would he make a bad strategic choice, not only did he prove himself a totally ineffective leader in the senate, the whole thing would have a very Bush-Cheney 2000 vibe, where the elder statesman guiding the young pup from day one just calls shotgun unexpectedly at the last minute.  No thanks.

by Fuzzy Dunlop 2008-08-19 07:40PM | 0 recs
Re: I hope not

Though, asn't it the case of the young pup taking his hands off the wheel and shouting 'you take the wheel!' in the first case?

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-08-19 07:44PM | 0 recs
Re: I hope not

That's very true, and it makes the whole idea even more unpalatable.

Although I'm not saying that the prediction itself doesn't have merit as a total dark horse pick.

by Fuzzy Dunlop 2008-08-19 07:52PM | 0 recs
Re: I hope not

Did someone steal Jerome's username?

This is getting downright strange folks.

by AntiStipes 2008-08-19 07:53PM | 0 recs
Hey wait now here Jerome...

Are you saying that you're agreeing with.... Markos?

Whoa. What happened to good blogger, bad blogger? :)

by KTinTX 2008-08-19 07:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

Sounds like a winning democratic corporate beltway lobbyist insider ticket which is why I would emphatically have to say HELL NO!

by Iceblinkjm 2008-08-19 07:46PM | 0 recs
I'm Gonna Go With...

Clinton!  Just for entertainment purposes.  And because she started to really grow on me towards the end of the campaign.

Personally, I'd like to see my governor, Brian Schweitzer, chosen.  He and Obama would destroy McCain.  Though I highly doubt it's gonna happen.

by Whash 2008-08-19 07:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

If you are right, the reaction of the base & the MSM would be one of almost shock mixed with  lots of worry.

Obama needs any help he can get. Tom Dashle does not bring that help. If you're going to go with the ex-senator from the Dakotas, you might as well roll the dice with a Biden or Bayh.

by latinomaker 2008-08-19 07:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

I guess I'm the only one around here who actually likes Tom Daschle.  He wasn't a great fit as majority leader, but I think he's an incredibly decent man, an underrated politician, and he could be president if he needed to step in.  He lost in a terrible year for democrats, in a very red state, to a guy who had already held statewide office.  So I don't hold the loss against him.  In fact, I could see an Obama/Daschle ticket doing very well in the dakotas.

At the very least, I would prefer a Daschle pick to Bayh, Nunn, or even Kaine.

by HSTruman 2008-08-19 07:51PM | 0 recs

Completely agree.

by YuedoTiko 2008-08-19 07:58PM | 0 recs
I like Daschle

He's smart, sane and a decent person.  His loss to Thune doesn't bother me-it's a tough state for a Dem despite Herseth's success and particularly difficult when he was a target as senate leader.  I also think he does quite well on television.

I think he is absolutely well prepared to be president, obviously more so than Kaine or Sebelius, and unlike Biden, he is not a narcississtic blowbag.

I think he was overly careful as Dem leader but it was at a very difficult time.  He would be a good balance (experience) to Obama and is not the kind of person who needs a lot of attention.

The  most important attributes are experience,  character and compatibility with Obama.  Daschle scores high on all three.

I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed.

by Thaddeus 2008-08-19 08:01PM | 0 recs

----

Could say the same thing about Kerry, and I wouldn't recommend him either.

Biden's a wild card but at least he brings some fire.

(Though, I'd accept Bayh if their polling showed him taking Indiana.)

by Bush Bites 2008-08-20 04:39AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

Daschle is a total SNORE!

by GoldLame 2008-08-19 07:56PM | 0 recs
What do you think of an Obama/Daschle ticket?

At this point, anybody is preferable to the endless lobbying for favorites or badmouthing against disfavorites, as well as seeing Obama attacked for choices he hasn't and never will make.

by Obama44 2008-08-19 07:58PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

snooze. almost as much of a bore as Bayh (didn't think that was possible.)

by Todd Beeton 2008-08-19 08:01PM | 0 recs

Daschle is not the fighter we need in the VP slot. He won't deliver SD. He lost his home state in 2004.

What does he add that, say, Joe Biden doesn't?

by elrod 2008-08-19 08:03PM | 0 recs
Re: No

South Dakota.

(Don't think that adds many EVs, but that's all I could think of off the top of my head.)

by Bush Bites 2008-08-20 04:41AM | 0 recs
All the rationals for Dashle also apply to

Gephardt, and he didn't lose an election as a congressional leader.

Whatever the rationals for that, I just can't get past it. Gephardt would be worth more votes, in places like Missouri and Ohio. Why take Dashle over Gephardt?

by Davidsfr 2008-08-19 08:16PM | 0 recs

no way.

my bets on wesley clark.

obama/clark 08?

by tomanderson13 2008-08-19 08:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

i gravitate to clark at this point in time. Of all the names vetted, he makes the most sense to me.

by alex100 2008-08-20 07:23AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

Is this a different Tom Daschle?

Cause otherwise, the folks above, pass me that vomit bucket after you're through.

I thought I was going to hurl at Evan Bayh, I am going to blow serious chunks if they pick Daschle...

by WashStateBlue 2008-08-19 08:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

Daschle is too much of a polite person to be an attack dog for a VP. He is a good person but I'm not sure why Obama would pick him for his VP. So can't see the reason...

by louisprandtl 2008-08-19 08:32PM | 0 recs

A "Nice Guy" Ticket!

(Sounds like a real winner, huh?)

by Bush Bites 2008-08-20 04:43AM | 0 recs
Daschle is one thing, and that is:

a LOSER. He fucking lost his seat even being a Senate leader! He was abysmal as minority leader too, and shoulda been replaced by someone else a long time ago. If he's on the ticket, I'd consider not voting for President, and just voting downticket, or even writing in Mickey Mouse.

by Lakrosse 2008-08-19 08:37PM | 0 recs
micky mouse?

you can't vote for cartoons silly.

by alex100 2008-08-20 07:25AM | 0 recs
Hey!

If there's going to be an award for this, I wrote a "diary" back in February 2007 about Daschle running for Obama's VP.  Check it out.

http://www.mydd.com/story/2007/2/21/1840 28/286

by Vox Populi 2008-08-19 08:44PM | 0 recs

Daschle?

Nope.

Sorry Jerome.  Try again.

by AntiStipes 2008-08-19 09:26PM | 0 recs

Ha.  Daschle.

This seems to be an exhibition of Jerome's embarassing political instincts more than anything.

Here are the latest InTrade stats:

1. Joe Biden 32.1

1. Tim Kaine 15.5
  2. Kathleen Sebelius 15.0
  3. Evan Bayh 15.0
  4. Hillary Clinton 12.0
  5. Wesley Clark 10.1
  6. Jack Reed 5.0
  7. Chuck Hagel 4.0
  8. John Kerry 3.5
  9. Sam Nunn 3.0

by evantakesall 2008-08-19 10:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

I think Jerome did the ole "drink and blog" tonight.

He's in a foul mood.  He appears to hate us.  He's damn near lost control of this site, and I honestly don't think his heart is in it anymore.

Look at his previous FP to this one.  The contempt, (going both ways), is very strong.

by AntiStipes 2008-08-19 10:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

Hmm ... Daschle.  Admittedly, he hadn't crossed my mind so my quick thoughts are

a)  Could I see it?  Yes.  He has a good rapport with Obama, he might want back in and he's not going the Congressional route.

b)  Daschle?  Really?  I think that

1)  Obama needs someone to bridge his gaps.

I know, his supporters suggest that it's unnecessary and that Obama is a brand unto itself.  I think, in many ways, that would be a horribly dangerous assumption in such a critical election.  Look, maybe he can ... but that's an unnecessary risk.

2)  He needs someone that will excite people.

Does Daschle do that for the base?  I'm just not sure.  Enough so that the base won't be annoyed?  Yes.  Enough to excite?  Is Daschle that successful attack guy who's persona really works?  If, and knock on wood that it nothing would happen, do we really want Tom Daschle as our President?  Is Daschle the guy that will blunt attacks on Obama?  Is his experience a positive or a negative?

I'm just not sure Tom Daschle is the job.  I think he's better suited for a cabinet post.  I know he mentioned (or an article once mentioned) HHS.  I think that would be great.  Interior?  Sure.  Ag?  Go down the line.  There's a good post somewhere, a post for him to step forth again.

I'll give the Obama campaign huge credit - they have everyone guessing, and while I'm sure some people are right, it seems like no one can definitively guess it.  I'm looking at the Wednesday list again.  I'm fine with Clark, but I don't feel that he's gonna somehow emerge late.

Heck, I'm confused enough to wonder if a darkhorse like Wexler occurs (it would be intriguing).  I can see Richardson/Kerry getting a F.O.B. nod, but I hope that it is neither.  Bayh and Biden are guys I'm okay with, but a lot of people aren't for one or the other for various reasons.  Hmm ... could a stunner like Salazar happen?  Might not make everyone happy, but it might be an intriguing choice?  I would be really intrigued with Patrick Murphy, but I don't see that happening.

I'm still guessing Biden for now, though, with Clark as guess B if I'm allowed 2.

by toonsterwu 2008-08-19 10:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

Only time Daschle ever excited anyone was when he received Anthrax in the mail.

by Bush Bites 2008-08-20 04:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

didn't he loose his Senate seat while he was minority leader?

isn't that a little embarassing?

seems odd to pick a candidate that lost a seat from a tiny state like south dakota....

by nikkid 2008-08-19 10:55PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

That's not a little embarrassing.

It's a lot embarrassing.

Even though Thune pulled some cheap shit.

(BTW: Wonder why nobody's talking about McCain/Thune?)

by Bush Bites 2008-08-20 04:52AM | 0 recs
Daschle will be Secretary of HHS...

and he has earned it because he has been working his ass off for Obama since the beginning.

If Obama picked Daschle for VP, McCain would be tempted to pick Thune.  That replay we don't need.  Plus, he is a lobbyist -  a bit off the Obama message.

Plouffe looks like the favorite for Chief of Staff - if he wants it.

by mboehm 2008-08-19 11:08PM | 0 recs
Miss Kansas, Rodney Slater and Wes Clark

Let's see. First let's set aside Ethanol for the moment. Even McCain is smart enough to have shut up about questioning anything about Ethanol. Both Obama and McCain are quite eager for the electoral votes in the Ethanol beltway, which has made some believe red states will vote their pocketbooks filled with corn growin' sawbucks. Oh, and Miss Kansas, Rodney Slater and Wes Clark? I don't do opposition research, but that one is such low hanging fruit.

Republicans could phone the attacks in.

" If Linda Daschle lobbied one arm of Congress to weaken airline safety and give away billions of taxpayer dollars to corporate clients, the voters are likely to assume that her husband was in there, too. And they'll probably be right. After all, American voters may not understand the inner workings of Washington politics, but they do understand the inner workings of marriage."

That's from 2001. It only gets worse. Boring is the last word that Republicans would call a Daschle pick. As tired as fifty years of beltway insiders' political and social pirouettes might be a better description. Now I'm beginning to question whether some people actually know what a vetting process entails.They seem to be frightfully concerned about "vetting" Bill Clinton. But Daschle would bring a great unifying lift to the Democratic Party, that's for sure.

"Well," he said, "Barack Obama has more public office experience than Hillary does, that is elected public office experience. And it's not just a question of experience, it's a question of judgment, and every single time Barack has been called upon to show good judgment, it's not only his experience but his character and his courage that has caused him to make decisions that others only wish they'd made years later, including Hillary Clinton."

And the whole thing about Daschle trashing the Anthrax vaccine's lead investigator, Ivins, several months before the guy is supposed to have sent out his deadly letters - that will really go over well. If he has decided the FBI probe is complete. Or if he has decided more questions need to be asked. Or if he just can't stuff enough minutes into the day to have someone pay attention to him.

Don't Bogart that Barf Bag, people. If this is a six degrees game, it's a really ugly one that we should put the kids to bed for first.

by Jeter 2008-08-19 11:30PM | 0 recs
Richardson

I must admit that none of the primary VP candidates bandied about dazzle me in any way.  Actually they all kind of put me to sleep and will leave me wanting more.

Then there is Hillary, who on one hand would be an interesting pick (and if solo, i.e. no Bill, would probably be my first choice) - but I just cant see that working out in practical terms.

So Ive fallen back to who I backed in the beginning of the primaries before he dropped out - Richardson.

I think his friendly, affable nature, plus his solid resume would do well for Obama.

The only questions I have for the others here is - could he overcome the 'Judas' label?  Or is he still too hated by a small subset of Dems to be considered?

Just curious to see others take on him as VP.

by pattonbt 2008-08-19 11:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Richardson

I think Richardson is great on paper but performed badly in the campaign. I think he'd do poorly in the VP debate. Obama's unlikely to gamble with such a diverse ticket, great as it would be historically i think it would be too much of a risk.

I think one of the reasons the Clinton camp went so hard after Richardson on his endorsement of Obama was to hurt his VP chances. The 'judas' label has hurt him i think.

Richardson would still be preferable to Bayh or Kaine though.

I agree that Bill needs to be kept quiet for Hillary to be the VP, i still hope they can come to some arrangement. Let him go travel the world giving speeches for free or something.

Hillary's still the one for me. I'd be so excited to see Obama/Clinton 08.

by liberalj 2008-08-20 03:39AM | 0 recs
Re: Richardson

Yeah, Hillary would be great if Bill wasn't around.

by Bush Bites 2008-08-20 04:54AM | 0 recs
Radar Tracking

I wonder if this will build up as hyped as when Edwards endorsed Obama and his plane was being tracked minute by minute as to where it was going.

Are there private detectives (media style) on all these potential VP candidates tailing them to see where they travel, when they answer the phone, who they are holed up with, etc.

Will Obama keep it a suprise until Saturday and we will all watch the skies and radar screens for where 'the plane' came from and whos on it and all that jazz?

Or will it be like it most likely will be a build up to a ho-hum, non-event moment? (my bet is of course here)

Semi seriously - I still like the idea of a VP-less convention.  Have signs that say "Obama - ????" throughout the convention.  Keep everyone on their toes.  Annoy the media.  Deny McCains convention week and own VP announcement and announce the pick in the middle of the Republicans convention.  Keep the media buzzing and waiting on baited breath for as long as possible.  (and yes I know, thats not gonna happen buts its fun to think about)

by pattonbt 2008-08-19 11:58PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

For what what it's worth..

American Prospect..

"The Obama campaign and Senate staff, by contrast, are full of Daschle and Gephardt veterans--an unexpected rebirth of the power bases and reputations of two politicians who had long been written off. Obama's chief of staff is the aforementioned Daschle associate, Pete Rouse. His deputy campaign manager, Steve Hildebrand, managed Daschle's 2004 campaign. His director for battleground states, Jennifer O'Malley Dillon, and his director of communications, Dan Pfeiffer, were both deputy campaign managers for Daschle in 2004. Obama's foreign-policy director, Denis McDonough, was Daschle's foreign-policy adviser, and his finance director, Julianna Smoot, was head of Daschle's PAC. Many of those who didn't come from the Senate minority leader's office came from the House minority leader's office. Obama's campaign manager, David Plouffe, was Gephardt's deputy campaign manager in 2004. His head of delegate operations, Jeff Berman, played the same role for Gephardt. His national press secretary, Bill Burton, was Gephardt's Iowa press secretary. Dozens of others come from related arms of the party, in particular the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

Full Article
http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?arti cle=its_his_party_08

by nogo postal 2008-08-20 02:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

Much of Obama's team would have formed the core leadership of Daschle '04, which came thisclose to becoming a reality.

by blueflorida 2008-08-20 06:24AM | 0 recs
Utterly underwhelming choice!

Don't see a hell of a lot of value-add in it...sorry.

Unity-builder? No.

Good public speaker and attach dog? No.

Well-known entity by voters? No.

Really good counterbalance for Obama? Not really.

Polls can't be saying he's a good choice; not enough folks know who he is!

Sorry, a total yawner...safe and sorry. Not a good harbinger for November if this prediction turns out to be reality.

by bobswern 2008-08-20 05:53AM | 0 recs
Michelle Obama

Michelle Obama

Makes sense to me.

by bakho 2008-08-20 05:56AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

Dash-hole is the worst of the worst.  He is right there with guys like Gephardt who oversaw the handing of the keys to D.C. over to the Republicans.

He caved to Bush Cheney over and over again back in 2001 and then was surpirsed when they cut him to bits in the midterms.   He is weak.

by RichardFlatts 2008-08-20 07:00AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

I called Daschle way back in the Summer of 07. I don't think he would be a bad choice. He would be the safe choice. A lot of people seem pissed because Daschle is a "loser." But Obama was able to be competitive in the primaries because he inherited Daschle's aborted '04 D.C. operation. He would have no electoral coattails and is not the sexy pick, but he has extensive policy and campaign experience, has never made a major gaffe and is INTENSELY loyal to Obama. I think he'd be better as Chief of Staff, but Daschle as VP wouldn't surprise me one bit. Btw, has anyone else noticed that no matter who is floated as a possible VP (except for Clark), a clear majority of posters always opposes that pick? I think it's definately not going to be Clarke and people are going to be pissed regardless of who it ends up being.

by Mr Grohl 2008-08-20 09:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's VP: Daschle

Class act but too bland and the points re his stand on Iraq are valid.

It should be one of these:

Kaine - great presence-super bright -tough
Sebelius - the classiest woman in the field and totally sympatico with Obama
Clark- foreign affairs plus presence
Clinton - totally qualified plus heals the wounds
Biden - a risk because he shoots from the hip, but also great presence, experience and toughness.

Not Bayh - also too bland.

Hey, what about Madeline Albright?! She's younger than McCain