Obama/Bayh?

The NYT's looks at the possibility of Evan Bayh being on the ticket through the prism of Bayh's strong support of invading Iraq.

The article has a ironic theme, as Eli Pariser of Moveon goes out of his way to not make noise about the potential of Obama choosing the DLC's Bayh, but then From goes in for the noise:

"The antiwar people cannot define the Democratic Party," said Al From, a founder of the centrist Democratic Leadership Council, of which Mr. Bayh was chairman for four years. "I think Evan's real strength is you get someone on the ticket who has a record of being strong on national security, and that is a very important quality to have."
Its starting to look, given how the convention is shaping up, that it will be someone with national security credibility (in the eyes of the traditional media).

Tags: Barack Obama, VP (all tags)

Comments

Re: Obama/Bayh?

I have made my prediction , it would be Bayh.

I don't care what Moveon thinks.

I happen to agree with Al From.

by lori 2008-08-12 06:42AM | 0 recs
if he wants someone who supported the war

I would much prefer Biden. He'd be a better attack dog, and he's more liberal on domestic policies.

by desmoinesdem 2008-08-12 08:00AM | 0 recs
Re: if he wants someone who supported the war

Look I love Democrats,  but I am trying to find what I am supposed to like about Baye.

He reminds me of my Maryland Govenor, he is a govenor and he runs the state and gets involved almost zero in national politics.

Except for winning Indiana for us (which VP is not guaranteed to get) what sets this guy apart.

Im not being snarky here, all I know of this guy is the absurd hubris he showed during his states primary when he dictated to the SD's of Indiana to not endorse anyone when already had.

Anyways, not to bring that up, but that is ALL I know of this guy.

I knew nothing about Kaine 1 months ago (and Im a MD resident, no excuses :D )   but now I know his positives and negatives.

Please someone help me out, because if Obama does pick Bayh I want to be ready to support Bayh.

See unlike alot of hair pullers here, I can handle what comes down.
In retrospect the last two VP picks our party made were terrible (Edwards was bad for not unifying with Gore over key issues, ie egomaniac) so I am fully ready to get someone weak again.

I, along with MANY here and elsewhere in the liberal internets have our hopes on Wes Clark.

by DemsLandslide2008 2008-08-12 08:43AM | 0 recs
Re: if he wants someone who supported the war

Both voted for the war, with Clinton.  She was attacked by Obama for being "wrong on day one," so these two other Senators would also appear to be "wrong on day one," if Obama is consistent.

by reggie44pride 2008-08-12 11:05AM | 0 recs
Better Clark, a general who

opposed the war, then Bayh and senator who ahwked it with MCCain and Lieberman.

Bayh adds nothing, other than to demoralize Obama's base.

by TomP 2008-08-12 09:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?
...Eli Parser of Moveon goes out of his way to not make noise about the potential of Obama choosing the DLC's Bayh, but then From goes in for the noise...

This seems completely unsurprising: Par[i]ser realizes that Obama is vastly better than McCain and doesn't want to demotivate his supporters by accentuating the negative.  From, after Clinton went down in flames, will grab onto any signs of "centrism" to try to maintain his relevance.
by username 2008-08-12 06:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

Bayh's biggest selling point is that he was a strong supporter of Hillary Clinton so his selection could be seen as reaching out to her and her people.

by politicsmatters 2008-08-12 06:50AM | 0 recs
It's bigger than that.

If John Kerry's pick of John Edwards taught us anything, it's that you don't want a VP pick who thinks they always have a better idea than the nominee.  That just leads to constant infighting and a muddled message.  Evan Bayh certainly doesn't have this sort of outsized ego.

Another big reason:  Evan Bayh is cautious and loyal.  Being one of Hillary's few congressional supporters willing to represent Hillary on TV even during her darkest days, Bayh certainly was loyal to Hillary Clinton.  Bayh is certainly willing to make a fool of himself in order to elevate the nominee.  That's not something you find in very many VP picks.

Ultimately, my preference is Kaine -- who would underscore Obama's message that the Democratic party is constantly innovating and adapting to new realities while the Republicans, by nominating John McCain are stuck in the past.  Kaine could truly mark the Kennedy torch being passed to a new generation of Americans, which is what makes Obama's candidacy so unique.

by Brad G 2008-08-12 06:59AM | 0 recs
Re: It's bigger than that.

Kaine is exceedingly boring and would not serve Obama well when campaignin on his own.

Secondly, what has he done?  He is completely unable to work with the Republicans in the General Assembly, hardly emblematic of the call for "new politics."  His signature achievement is riding Warner's coattails into the governor's mansion.

by realistic democrat 2008-08-12 07:05AM | 0 recs
Re: It's bigger than that.

Boring is what VPs are supposed to be.

Boring is a bonus for Vice President, they don't overshadow the top of the ticket. VPs are there to say "vote for my potential boss" and say whatever the top of the ticket asks them to do.

Any second we're asking about what the VP's personal life is doing, we're losing.

by Trowaman 2008-08-12 07:31AM | 0 recs
Re: It's bigger than that.

VPs are not supposed to undermine the candidate's message. Obama "change" candidacy has been largely about changing the way Bush and the GOP/neocons have been conducting foreign policy. Bayh has been an enabler of that policy if not worse:

"...Mr. Bayh's support of authorizing force in Iraq stands in sharp contrast to Mr. Obama's oft-stated view that he showed the good judgment to oppose the conflict from the start. After his vote, Mr. Bayh in early 2003 joined Mr. McCain as an honorary co-chairman of the Committee for the Liberation of Iraq, which made regime change in Iraq its central cause..."

Obama can't go with Bayh.

by JohnS 2008-08-12 07:43AM | 0 recs
Re: It's bigger than that.

Boring to the point where he/she adds nothing to the ticket?  That's a winning strategy.

by realistic democrat 2008-08-12 07:48AM | 0 recs
Correction

Kaine's signature achievement is serving as the number two guy in a very successful administration.  Isn't Kaine supposed to be the number two guy?

by Brad G 2008-08-12 07:55AM | 0 recs
Re: Correction

His signature achievement is serving as Gov. Warner's understudy.  He has little record to speak of as governor.

This is your guy????

by realistic democrat 2008-08-12 08:06AM | 0 recs
Re: It's bigger than that.

BradG: Interesting argument about Kaine and his symbolism of "the torch being passed." A problem, tho, is that the phrase when highly used in 1960 focused on the Presidential nominee (JFK) only. His VP, Lyndon Johnson, was a much more pragmatic and experienced person...the one who brought in Texas that was central to our victory. If the experienced (as Senator and Governor) Bayh can bring in Indiana and hold Kerry's states, the Democrats will win. Remember that Sen. Bayh earlier outdistanced Bush in the quite Republican Indiana.

by christinep 2008-08-12 12:09PM | 0 recs
Bayh's biggest selling point

is that he was a DLC chairman, and therefore From loves him.  And his father was a long time Senator from Indiana.  That's it.

Trust me, as a former Hillary supporter, I don't feel that choosing Bayh is reaching out to me.  Bayh just wasn't an obvious part of the campaign, unless you lived in Indiana.

He was worse on Iraq than Hillary.  How is this good?

He's boring & will probably lose the VP debate, unless McCain chooses Lieberman for VP.  How is this good?

But most important, if Obama is taking a lot of advice from Al From and/or Bob Shrum, I'll eat my hat.  Obama is too smart to do that. Those two guys have been partially responsible for more Democratic losses than anyone else in the party.

by LIsoundview 2008-08-12 07:22AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

Great! Someone who's major qualification and justification for his job being related to someone else supported someone who's major qualification justification of her run was being related to someone else.

Whoo Hoo!

Screw Bayh.

by ElitistJohn 2008-08-12 07:36AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

This Obama candidacy is shaping up to be one huge Shit Show.

by MKyleM 2008-08-12 06:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

What? Explain yourself. "This Obama candidacy" is going very well and getting stronger and better all the time. Stop being a hater, if you can, and work toward making this country and it's democracy better

by onlinesavant 2008-08-12 07:00AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

First of all, where the hell is he?

Can't he go on vacation after he loses?  And didn't he come out in sweat pants to give his blurb about Russia's invasion?

Hackish.

As for his VP pick, if he doesn't have the character to pick Hillary Clinton (for the sake of party unity and the simple fact he won by a hair), then he should pick someone who at least did not vote for the Iraq war.

If there's one reason not to pick Clinton, it is that she voted for the war.  Otherwise, you know, if Obama has decided he no longer cares about that (after killing Clinton over the issue), well, I think that fucking sucks.

by MKyleM 2008-08-12 07:05AM | 0 recs

?

by Jess81 2008-08-12 07:08AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

Troll rated for the absurd suggestion that Obama is required to pick Clinton.

It's a winner-take-all system.  Obama isn't required to do what you, a sore loser, insists.

In the meantime, read the Atlantic article.

by randomscientist 2008-08-12 07:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

So not only do we get trolls here who will take this party down with their self-destructive sanctimoniousness, but apparently this site is run by those same trolls, since calling them out is now ratings abuse.

And here I thought this was a site for progressives.

by randomscientist 2008-08-12 08:06AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

Just because someone has an opinion and isn't simply laying flowers at the foot of an alleged saint, doesn't make that person a "troll".

Since you threw mud my way, I'll say this: if we lose, it will be because of the intellectual arrogance of liberals like yourself.  It won't be because of Clinton or her supporters.  It will be because the Dem party has a terrible habit of willingly blindfolding themselves and walking the plank with smiles on their faces.

Believe me, stranger things have happened that Democrats nominating the weakest candidate on state (with, of course, the exception of Kucinich and Gravel, in this case).

by MKyleM 2008-08-12 08:16AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

What's with the "alleged saint" line?  It's the same mischaracterization that's coming out of the McCain camp.

I don't think Obama is a saint.  I'm not smiling while walking the plank.  I'm a political cynic.  Obama obviously has his drawbacks, the most important of which is his tendency to appear aloof.  But when you tar me, a Democrat, with the aloof brush you're doing the Republicans' work for them.

As for the parent comment...it's the quintessential purity troll.  But I guess in a place where purity trolling is the norm that makes me the bad guy.

by randomscientist 2008-08-12 08:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

randomscientist: 'Just passing through, but noticed your sparring and troll-calling words. From this person's perspective, it is your language that leaks invective. It is ok for someone to disagree and not be considered a troll or otherwise abusive. Shouldn't robust discussion (and disagreement) be encouraged here. I seem to recall that Republicans used to be the party that considered rigid conformity and adherence to every talking point as a required virture. Lets all loosen up.

by christinep 2008-08-12 12:22PM | 0 recs
Here's a reason:

As a candidate, do you really want -- every time you have an idea -- your VP nominee and his/her ex-President spouse telling you all the time:  "I have a better idea, and what would you know?  Last time I checked -- you've never won a Presidential election.  Why am I always one step ahead of you."

This is what happened when Kerry picked Edwards.  The constant disagreements in the Kerry/Edwards camp lead to a muddled message.

Then there's the Clinton psychodrama. ...

by Brad G 2008-08-12 07:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Here's a reason:

While you may be right, I think the fatal flaw was Kerry himself.  He was a terrible candidate.

by MKyleM 2008-08-12 08:17AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

"If there's one reason not to pick Clinton, it is that she voted for the war."

I totally agree.  I'm still trying to understand how Obamaphiles justify people like Biden and Bayh based on the fact that they derided Clinton for the same vote.

by reggie44pride 2008-08-12 11:09AM | 0 recs
Shit show?

I think Bayh is one of the two best picks for Obama (Kaine being the other).  Bayh is loyal and cautious, and doesn't think he always has the best ideas over the nominee.  Those are all good qualities.

by Brad G 2008-08-12 07:01AM | 0 recs
Re: Shit show?

Whenever someone comes out of nowhere with something crazy, it helps to check out their past diaries.  Kyle here was advocating for Obama to drop out of the race throughout the primaries.  His failure to do so just showed how arrogant he was.  You know the type.

by Jess81 2008-08-12 07:07AM | 0 recs
Re: Shit show?

Yes, I've said many times Obama was the worst choice.  I'll believe it until I'm dead.

I'm still wishing he'd drop out, but i'm afraid his narcissism would never allow that to happen.

I mean, seriously!  Where is he?  What is he doing?

I see yet another Dem candidate getting the bark blasted off of him.  And the worst is yet to come.

by MKyleM 2008-08-12 08:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Shit show?

I know, he's just so uppity.

by Jess81 2008-08-12 03:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

obama is a centrist, and frankly, so is this website so I am not sure what you thought you were getting?

by bruh3 2008-08-12 07:06AM | 0 recs
Don't worry

if you were a Hillary supporter, you are probably used to the schizo freak-out high-drama campaign, where everything is a crisis that has to be reacted to IMMEDIATELY OMG OMG and the candidate has a new image every few weeks.

Obama's campaign doesn't work that way.

by JJE 2008-08-12 07:21AM | 0 recs
Re: Don't worry

Obama doesn't have a new image every week, just a new stance/view (c.f. FISA, offshore drilling, Iraq, etc.)

by reggie44pride 2008-08-12 11:10AM | 0 recs
Reading is hard

thinking is harder.  Your lack of knowledge/understanding of his stances on those issues sounds like a personal problem.

by JJE 2008-08-12 01:49PM | 0 recs
From?

Why is anyone even listening to From anymore.  If From supports Bayh, then I would almost instinctively want to be against him.

by gavoter 2008-08-12 06:54AM | 0 recs
Re: From?

separate what people do for their careers from what is the case in terms of outcomes. blogs are where people go to become part of the dc establishment

by bruh3 2008-08-12 07:08AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

Evan Bayh, what an awful pick.  And what of the BO must pick some who is in line with his theme of change.  Bayh is Mr Washington insider.

If BO picks Byhh it is in line with change.  That is BO ablity to keep changing his mind and actions and views to what is political expedient.

david

by giusd 2008-08-12 07:01AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

Yeah, clever.  What are you talking about?  How has he been changing his mind about who his VP pick is going to be?

by Jess81 2008-08-12 07:03AM | 0 recs
write in english

so people can understand what you're talking about.

by JJE 2008-08-12 07:15AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

Yeah, us Hoosiers must be insane for electing him to so many offices. You read a blurb, watch a clip, and base everything from that. Bayh left the governorship with a near 80% approval rating in a rural, red state. We're not the idiots that you might make us out to be. There was a reason why Hoosiers have stuck with Bayh. Is he a centrist? Absolutely! Is that bad in an election where the conservatives hammer away with "crazy librul"? I don't think so. But then again, what do I know.... I voted for Bayh in his last election.

by zep93 2008-08-12 08:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

Evan Bayh is the safe, bland choice.

I've made my thoughts on the VP clear: it's about getting the top of the ticket elected, and that's it.  I think progressives should lobby the candidate for policy reasons, but the VP choice?  It's a waste of time: it's just packaging.

by Jess81 2008-08-12 07:06AM | 0 recs
Re: 14 out of 46

Historically, 14 out of 46 VPs have become President.  Many have been eminently forgettable.  The better ones have strong resumes with real accomplishments.  bayh reminds me too much of two past Hoosier VPs: Thomas Marshall (who refused to take over temporarily for Wilson unless he got full Presidential pay) and Dan Quayle.

by David Kowalski 2008-08-12 07:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

It would be difficult to nominate Bayh as the VP being that if he does become VP, then his Indian senate seat become open, only to be filled by a Republican governor (Mitch Daniels.). Clearly, more to be lost than gained. Obama/Clark 08

by onlinesavant 2008-08-12 07:08AM | 0 recs

Wes Clark
Ed Rendell
Hillary Clinton

Those are the three names that he should be seriously considering.

by JDF 2008-08-12 07:09AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

A few days back, Bobswern hit on the best idea I've ever heard of: Bob Graham.  I was such an instant convert that it's hard for me to be excited about anyone else.

But Rendell?  Really?  I mean, there's Washington insider, and then there's just plain hack.  And he's got no appeal outside the middle atlantic.

by Jess81 2008-08-12 07:15AM | 0 recs

by LIsoundview 2008-08-12 07:26AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

Sorry. This empty post was unintentional.  Unfortunately, I can't delete it.

Sort of like Evan Bayh as VP...

If that's who Obama wants, it's his choice, not mine.

I'd love to see him pick any of the following:

Wes Clark
Bob Graham
Joe Biden
Chris Dodd
Barbara Boxer
Diane Feinstein (double plus, gets her out of the Senate...although replaced by Gov. Schwarzenegger though )-:
Barbara Mikulski
Hillary Clinton
Gov. M. Jodi Rell if he wants a Republican woman (prochoice, for one thing)

by LIsoundview 2008-08-12 07:31AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

I keep putting a thought with  two words into Obama's universe...

BoB Wexler
BoB Wexler

by nogo postal 2008-08-12 07:30AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

yea, I like it, that would make them go crazy.

Wexler's first book, Fire Breathing Liberal, was published in June 2008 by St. Martin's Press.

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-08-12 07:56AM | 0 recs
WES CLARK, COME ON BARACK! n/t

by spacemanspiff 2008-08-12 07:36AM | 0 recs

Wes
Hillary
Joe Biden

Bayh is an attack poodle, we need someone with teeth.

by WashStateBlue 2008-08-12 07:47AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?
 The worst bite I ever got was from a poodle (while working for a small animal vet), don't ever underestimate poodles!
That being said, I am in complete agreement with your list.
Here's something I heard on The Young Turks this morning-Wednesday night (the night of the VP's speech, right?), the theme of the convention will be "Securing America's Future".
What's the name of Wesley Clark's PAC?
Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm....
by skohayes 2008-08-12 02:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

You listen the The Young Turks?

Word up!,  finally a fellow listener on MYDD!

Keep listening and check out MeetTheBloggers.org!

Man if Clark is the VP, it might be huge for TYT (and of course america and the dems).

Wes Clark Jr was cohost on at least 20 shows in the last year.
He and his father are great friends of the show.

by DemsLandslide2008 2008-08-12 02:40PM | 0 recs
Strong and Wrong

This mentality totally infuriates me. What Mr. From was REALLY saying was "I think Evan's real strength is you get someone on the ticket who has a record of being WRONG on national security."

be good,
c

by c 2008-08-12 07:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Strong and Wrong

Screw From.

He's defining "Strong on National Security" as being willing to Cowboy Up with the Neocons and Dick Cheney's "bomb first, ask questions never" crew.

Wow, let's pick someone who is a poodle for BOTH the DLC and the Republics.

by WashStateBlue 2008-08-12 07:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

he can help in IN and OH (maybe MI if the media markets cross.)  he can take over as president if ever needed.  he has gubernatorial and senatorial experience.  he can't be seen as another celebrity candidate (even karl rove couldn't make people think that).

he is a strong hillary supporter, but what's best is that because of his lack of charisma, it's arguable that if he doesn't grow in office, come 2016 hillary could still beat a veep bayh for the nomination.  she drinks his milkshake, but has a much bigger straw.  with a probable net roots edwards type also running (warner, schwitezer, someone we haven't heard of yet) she could knock him out, beat the netroots candidate and get the nom 8 years from now.  though if that's what obama wants, biden would accomplish that better as he probably wouldn't run for prez in '16.

by Doug Tuttle 2008-08-12 08:00AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

"but what's best is that because of his lack of charisma, it's arguable that if he doesn't grow in office, come 2016 hillary could still beat a veep bayh for the nomination.  she drinks his milkshake, but has a much bigger straw..."

Yes, great, because ALL decision, now, and anytime within the next 8 years must be predicated on "Do they help Hillary get to be President?"

by WashStateBlue 2008-08-12 08:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

as long as there are still hillary holdouts, and obama is under 50% we sadly need to think like this :S.  i don't like it, but until he wins the election, whaddya gonna do?

by Doug Tuttle 2008-08-12 07:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

Wouldn't be thrilled, or even pleased.  In the end, it's Obama's choice to make.

I think Bayh's odds are one on seventy trillion against.

by lojasmo 2008-08-12 08:05AM | 0 recs
STRONG or WRONG on nat'l security?

It's like being "tough on crime" instead of smart about crime.  It's incredibily expensive scenery chewing that has cost countless lives and injuries and has damaged our ability to respond to other truly pressing needs.

The Iraq invasions as a response to 9/11 and the threat posed by terrorists is a textbook example of the wrong action in the wrong place at tremendous cost which at the time appealed to many Americans as :they did it to us; now we are really gonna get them."  Except it wasn't them and the whole thing was based on bullshit.

This is strong on national security?  Really?

by Thaddeus 2008-08-12 08:31AM | 0 recs
Re: STRONG or WRONG on nat'l security?

"Why do DLC drones like From insist on confusing "strong on natinal security" with supporting  invasions and out-of-control military spending?"

Because they're wimps for the most part?

Dick Cheney and his chicken-hawk crew cowers them and they piss all over themselves in response.

Wasn't From involved in the brilliant strategy to let Kerry NOT RESPOND to the Swift Boat attacks, just let them go un-answered for a couple of weeks?

So, cause THEY are pussys, they made Kerry look like one as well.

It's a self defining meme. They cower to the Republics, and America looks at them, sees them as cowards who won't stand up for what is right, and votes for "the strong guys" instead.

From, and the rest of the 1990's holdovers should never be let near a political campaign again.

by WashStateBlue 2008-08-12 08:37AM | 0 recs
I think that it will be Bayh as well

I doubt that it will be Kaine or Sebellius who have no national security experience.

by puma 2008-08-12 08:36AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

Why does no one point out that picking Bayh will in all probability cost the Democrats a Senate seat. Gov. Daniels is favored to win re-election and unless there is a major upset will appoint a hardline conservative to replace Bayh.

by jhiestand 2008-08-12 08:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

"Why does no one point out that picking Bayh will in all probability cost the Democrats a Senate seat."

Because the average "netroots" contributor has the intelligence of Peter Griffith.

by reggie44pride 2008-08-12 11:16AM | 0 recs
The Stupid Economy

Foreign policy matters most to the base voters Obama has locked up.  I realize that people who have foreign policy as their #1 issue do not appreciate Bayh (except for idiots like From).

However, this election is not going to be won or lost on foreign policy.  It will be lost on the stupid economy.  Obama needs help with his weak economic message and Jobs jobs jobs to seal the deal with the swing voters.  Obama is doing better attacking McSameonmics, but Obama really needs to do better with his own positive jobs message.

Bayh was 'the working man's' governor.  His strength is the economy and he would give Obama a needed boost.
Obama needs to get off of foreign policy and mention the word jobs 100 times every day until Nov 4.

by bakho 2008-08-12 08:52AM | 0 recs
Re: The Stupid Economy

Bakho: Good comment.

by christinep 2008-08-12 12:33PM | 0 recs
I don't like the company Baye keeps.....

Did a little Wiki on my new favorite political villain Nancy Jacobson,  Mark Penn's wife.

Well we all know how she is making millions profiting of the Convention in August.

Short and sweet, she set up fake "Celebrity" tours for rich Democrats attending the convention.

Problem is, the celebrities arent coming and the 750,000 gross that comes in, not a single red cent goes to the DNC, while she piggybacks on a convention we all donated to run.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/10 /mark-penns-wife-feeding-a_n_112058.html

So while researching this scam artist I found this interesting bit of info on wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Jacob son

Additionally, since 1995 she has been the chief financial architect for Sen. Evan Bayh, a moderate Democrat from Indiana.

Hillarious reading her wiki, wow, I only thought republicans entered public service with the express intention to get RICH.

Man I hate Mark Penn and his wife that was at least smart enough not to share his last name.

Imagine her trying to collect that money from those rich folks "Hi, Im Nancy Penn, yea that guy,  now give me my money"

Democrats here older than me, is our party riddled with these types, and Im just too naive to know?

by DemsLandslide2008 2008-08-12 08:53AM | 0 recs
Re: I don't like the company Baye keeps.....

Funny there is no outrage on this one.

Man, Dem politics pays out like this, and noone stops these thieves, we will turn right into Republican corruption.

Just wait till we get the power next year, all the Mark Penns will be tapping us on one shoulder then stealing our money out the opposite pocket.

by DemsLandslide2008 2008-08-12 03:40PM | 0 recs
Bayh? Probably not.

I think Bayh is an unlikely choice for Obama.  The VP choice can solidify the base and amplify the message, but Bayh will give him headaches on both counts.  If he wants a safe choice, I think he will choose someone like Sen. Reed (RI).  If he wants to amplify his anti-Washington message, it would be Kaine or Sebelius.

by CA Pol Junkie 2008-08-12 09:02AM | 0 recs
Re: Bayh? Probably not.

The more I look into it the only postive I see Bayh with, is the theoritical that he guarantees Indiana.

Man, think about if Clark is picked and we win Viriginia and Inidiana.

Thats what I love about this election, the ever growing possibility of the system getting bucked and rebuilt.

by DemsLandslide2008 2008-08-12 09:55AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

My bet is on Wesley Clark.

Obama/Clark '08!?!?

by tomanderson13 2008-08-12 10:12AM | 0 recs
Bayh's positives

The whining about Evan Bayh is wildly disproportionate to the reality. I can imagine already all the wrist-slitting that will happen should Obama actually announce Bayh as his ticket-mate. Good grief.

Anyway, the case for Evan Bayh is this:

1. Former two-term Governor -- Evan Bayh, unlike Barack Obama, has actually run a governmental bureaucracy. Bayh, by most accounts, was a terrific Governor. His first act as Governor of Indiana was to restore collective bargaining rights for state employees. His major landmark achievement was to institute a program called 21st Century Scholars -- that provided the financing for tens of thousands of Hoosier students from impoverished backgrounds to go to college. Bayh also cut taxes, balanced his state's budget, and ran a surplus for several years. He's got a Gubernatorial record that's hard to complain about.
  2. National Security Credibility -- Bayh's Senate Record is more modest than his gubernatorial record, but he can claim that he has focused on defense and foreign affairs issues, and so he has what passes for national security credentialing among DC elites.
  3. Trade Credibility -- he has a strong record on trade issues, and is frankly a stronger messenger on that than Obama.
  4. Culture -- Bayh is the embodiment of the newest generation of Midwestern, heartland politicians. Unlike the prairie populist Tom Harkin types, Bayh learned expertly how to present himself as culturally non-threatening, and reassuring. Evan Bayh looks and acts like the guy Middle America wants to marry its virginal daughter. With Evan Bayh on his flank, Obama will seem much less 'exotic' than he may currently be percerived in some areas. After all, if that nice boy Evan Bayh hangs around with him, he can't be all bad.

by blueflorida 2008-08-12 10:15AM | 0 recs
Re: Bayh's positives

Blueflorida: Outstanding presentation. (Note: The handwringing you discern here is quite palpable isn't it? Could it be that a lot of those expressing such strong concerns now will find reason to support whatever their nominee wants after the convention?)

by christinep 2008-08-12 12:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Bayh's positives
In case you haven't noticed, there's a lot of speculation about Obama's VP pick on this blog, and people are allowed to post their thoughts and opinions about each person. Some people like Bayh, some don't.
I'm sure you have your own preferences, don't you?
by skohayes 2008-08-12 02:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Bayh's positives

So what you are saying is Obama is too black, and to appease to ignorant people (which science proves rarely chang) that he is ok, because he has a white friend.

And this guy aint the wrong white, he is the right white.

He's more Huckabee than he is Kennedy.

Wow, I can't believe this garbage still flies around here.

Thank you for reinforcing why Evan Baye is a terrible candidate.

by DemsLandslide2008 2008-08-12 03:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Bayh's positives

So what you are saying is Obama is too black

1. Screw you.

2. 'Exotic' doesn't imply "too black;" it implies has a funny name, grew up in Indonesia and Hawaii, and presents himself like a big-city urban professional.

3. I'm saying that Obama's thisclose to winning this election in a massive landslide. If the few voters on the fence have the willies because they can't identify with his background, then give them someone who they can identify with.

by blueflorida 2008-08-12 05:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

Obama can look center, but if he goes DLC, we are in trouble. We are back into light Republicanism and not far from "politics as usual." Isn't this exactly what Obama promised to steer away from?

by shyboy 2008-08-12 10:38AM | 0 recs
From and the Ultimate Irony

If you look at who the DLC and much of the MSM defines as having national security credentials they all supported the biggest clusterF*** in recent foreign policy. Why does screwing up royally and showing utter political cowardice under GOP fire earn you leadership stripes from Al From?

You never hear about the national security credentials of a Harkin, Chaffee or Byrd even though they had the foresight to see what a total diaster this would turn out to be.

by alexmhogan 2008-08-12 10:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

Better not choose Bayh!!!!!

That would go over well at all.

Wesley Clark should be the pick.  He can respect McCains service-(it does not even begin to meet his own) and he can also say McCain is not ready to be a leader!
And he sticks to his position!
I respect Clark for not backing down.
Hope Obama's VP selection group can see the wisdom.  He needs a proven national security choice.  Wesley Clark is the only choice when it comes down to that!

by lja 2008-08-12 12:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

I think this is a long-shot. I think that Bayh will not be the VP--and it will be his pro-Iraq war stance which is the reason. There are many generals and politicians who have the military or security creds who will be picked before Bayh. I think it's going to be either someome from Virginia or someone from Kansas.

by johnrarch 2008-08-12 12:42PM | 0 recs
Again, I ask, WHO IS EVAN Bayh?

Really, what sets this guy apart from say,   Govenor Martin O'Malley.

Or any other VP pick.

I keep hearing his name on TV, on the net but not a single detail to go with him.

What does he bring to the ticket?
What does he bring to the national stage?

Any examples of him attacking or standing up to Republicans?

I know everyone likes to flame and snark on here, but if we are going to vet every single Dem who opens their mouth, why have I not seen bupkiss on this guy.

When we have discussed Clark, Kaine and everyone else, details and happy/mad remarks float around.

With this mystery man Bayh, all I hear are annoying crickets.

Does anyone support this guy on this board, if so speak up!

by DemsLandslide2008 2008-08-12 12:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Again, I ask, WHO IS EVAN Bayh?

go here

by blueflorida 2008-08-12 01:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Again, I ask, WHO IS EVAN Bayh?

Ok, he got hired to be a senator and govenor, he did his job and stayed quiet.

What sets him apart from Tim Kaine of Virginia?

by DemsLandslide2008 2008-08-12 01:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Again, I ask, WHO IS EVAN Bayh?
Google is your friend. Rather than asking other people what they think of him, look for yourself and make up your own mind.
Here are my opinions, for what they are worth:
Tim Kaine hasn't even served one whole term as governor yet. If Obama is already getting hit with the "inexperience" meme, imagine what they'd be like with another inexperienced pol on the ticket. No thank you.
Bayh was a very sucessful governor in Indiana, served two terms, but he is definitely what I would term a "conservative" Democratic Senator.
Not my first choice, not by a long shot.
by skohayes 2008-08-12 03:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Again, I ask, WHO IS EVAN Bayh?

Sko, well I did google him and found nothing.
I have a govenor in my state that has the same creds and is better looking to boot.

now to Blue Florida, I am sorry I did read your copy/paste racist diatribe to smear this Democrat:

by DemsLandslide2008 2008-08-12 03:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Again, I ask, WHO IS EVAN Bayh?

I'm sorry I thought you had enough integrity to grasp a tactical political argument and to not wantonly cast false and disgusting aspersions. I won't make the same mistake again.

by blueflorida 2008-08-12 06:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bayh?

I'm not sure how Obama can hit Clinton on judgement issues (due to her Iraq war vote)in the primaries and then turn around and select a guy who not only vvoted for the war, but was a strong supporter of it for quite a while.
Nonetheless, his fiscal policies as governor were quite impressive and had many good results. Most people in Indiana love him.
Here's an excerpt from Chris Cizilla's post on the WaPo blog, "The Case Against Evan Bayh"

To the extent Bayh has organizing political principles, they come out of the Democratic Leadership Council, a group he chaired earlier this decade. The DLC is reviled by the emergent liberal left of the Democratic party particularly the blogosphere; in 2004, Markos Moulitsas, perhaps the most powerful member of the so-called "netroots" penned a post entitled "Time for the DLC to Die."

Obama, whose primary victory over Hillary Rodham Clinton was credited, at least in part, to his strong support from the party's liberal wing, has had rocky relations of late with this crucial bloc -- largely due to his decision to support a domestic surveillance bill that included immunity for telecommunications companies who handed over caller information to the government.

Picking Bayh has the potential to inflame this group even more -- not just because of his DLC ties but also because he was a leading proponent of the war in Iraq and voted in favor of the 2002 use of force resolution.

In an interview with Post editors and reporters in February 2006 -- as he was ramping up his exploration of a presidential bid -- Bayh refused, as some of his fellow Senators already had, to renounce his support for the war.

The Fix, WaPo