WTF in Detroit, Michigan

McCain is in PA today and tomorrow, then in MI on Wed, where you know he will have a comment on the Detroit Mayor, or maybe it'll be Joe Lieberman that makes the case for the Obama/Wright/Kilpatrick angle.

The Michigan AG is making the effort to oust him, but the Kilpatrick factor is a big problem. Business has abandoned him (no surprise), his mother barely won (despite being the CBC Chair with help from Pelosi & Rangel), and now religious leaders are weighing in negatively toward the Detroit mayor.

The indication is that if he doesn't resign by Sept 3rd, then Granholm will kick him to the street (the Gov can legally remove the Mayor in MI). That will no doubt set off a firestorm of its own. Steve Mitchell, whose article is a must read on the situations potential negative effect, says that "it is hard to write a scenario where a Democrat can be elected president without winning Michigan." I don't agree with that necessarily, but I do think that MI is going to be in the toss-up column the way things are heading. I do agree with him that the GOP will resurrect the Wright-Obama story, probably in late September.

Tags: Barack Obama, John McCain, Michigan (all tags)

Comments

What is Obama's position on this?

by RichardFlatts 2008-08-11 09:00AM | 0 recs
Re: What is Obama's position on this?

Obama's position:

Stay away from this story.

by gil44 2008-08-11 09:27AM | 0 recs
yes, late September sounds right for Wright

I hope the Obama campaign is prepared.  I'm glad to see this new Embrace ad.  We need McCain's negatives to go up too.

by John DE 2008-08-11 09:01AM | 0 recs
they'll have had six months to get ready

Let's all hope they won't be caught flat-footed.

by desmoinesdem 2008-08-11 09:21AM | 0 recs
Re: they'll have had six months to get ready

Yeah, really. If they actually get caught off-guard by the GOP bringing up Rev. Wright, it would be the most boneheaded move made by any political campaign ever. Fortunately, I think they're guilty of expecting TOO MANY of those kinds of attacks, not too few.

His experience with the ABC debate hopefully taught them a lesson about expectations. If he thinks that the GOP didn't notice that and start spinning ideas in their head, he's dense. When the next debate comes, be ready for McCain to turn it personal.

by vcalzone 2008-08-11 09:36AM | 0 recs
Do you know where it's running?

I was wondering when they'd pull out the huggy bear stuff.

by JJE 2008-08-11 09:43AM | 0 recs
Re: WTF in Detroit, Michigan

McLame and his merry band of GOoPers will need a lot more than an old recycled story to have any hope of winning in November.

The Rethugs have never had to deal with a candidate like Obama, who actually hits back -- and hard. Obama is simply doing the same thing to the tired old GOP that he did the the two-time world champion Clinton Political Machine.

Sit back, take some punches, let your opponent unload. Then, when everyone is all saying "WTF is wrong with him? He's about to be knocked out!", BAM, he throws a political uppercut that, partially due to the timing, is about as effective as it could be.

by John in Chicago 2008-08-11 09:05AM | 0 recs
the GOP will resurrect the Wright-Obama story

I've always wondered how many people actually watch reruns -- and especially when fall is when new shows are supposed to be new.

If they have to resurect an old smear that failed the first time it will mean that McDesperate has become  McPanic.

by Glaurung 2008-08-11 09:11AM | 0 recs
people have the attention span of fruit flies

It is fortunate for Obama that Wright can be spun as old news this fall.

However, some of those clips are so inflammatory that I can't imagine the GOP not trying to put them to use.

by desmoinesdem 2008-08-11 09:22AM | 0 recs
Re: people have the attention span of fruit flies

We've already seen that McRove will clutch at any straw of a smear in the face of impending disaster. So far they haven't worked, and have even backfired.

by Glaurung 2008-08-11 09:39AM | 0 recs
Re: WTF in Detroit, Michigan

Kilpatrick a major a*** and  Granholm should listened to the Detroit council and dumped this clown months ago. Every racist in metro Detroit is going off on this idiot and every day he's still in the news it hurts the Democrats and Obama.

The sad thing is if the Detroit City Council could've impeached him they would have sometime last year and we wouldn't have to give a damn about Kilpatrick.

by alexmhogan 2008-08-11 09:20AM | 0 recs
Take out the bus and run over

Kwame; that's my advice for Obama.  I agree with Steve that Obama's visionary energy plan should play well with the suburban folks in Michigan but racial strife will not.

by Blazers Edge 2008-08-11 09:22AM | 0 recs
Re: Take out the bus and run over

Obama has been working super-hard on the Detroit suburbs.  In fact, a few months ago he even gave a speech at my old high school, where Reagan won 100% of the vote in a mock election against Mondale back in the day.

The latest scandal has really done a lot to inflame racial polarization once again and that is something that Detroiters really, really do not want to go back to.  But does the polarization hurt Obama in the suburbs because he is black, or does it help him because he is perceived as a healer and not a racial politician in the style of Kilpatrick and Coleman Young?  I have no idea, but these are my people, and so I'm going to keep faith that they will do the right thing in the end.

by Steve M 2008-08-11 09:34AM | 0 recs
Re: WTF in Detroit, Michigan

This is certainly not good news. Right now, Obama needs to keep Michigan in the toss up column. If McCain surges to a lead in Michigan, then he won't need to pick Romney as VP and instead may try to pick up Pennslyvania with Ridge.

On the positive front, Obama still leads Michigan despite the Michigan and Florida controversy earlier in the primary season. Earlier, I had predicted that McCain would be ahead in Michigan by this time. Obama is still the favorite to win Michigan and the general election.

by Zzyzzy 2008-08-11 09:23AM | 0 recs
fortunately for us

There are at least a few reasonable scenarios where Obama could get to 270 electoral votes without Michigan.

I agree, though, this state will be a tossup and it shouldn't be.

by desmoinesdem 2008-08-11 09:23AM | 0 recs
Re: fortunately for us

Generally speaking, Michigan is seen as a must-win for Democrats simply because it is the bluest of the swing states in the region.  In other words, if a Dem loses Michigan, the reason it's fatal is because it also means he's surely going to lose Ohio and Pennsylvania.

But certainly, if Obama were to lose Michigan for some Michigan specific reason, like Romney as McCain's VP, or some kind of weird fallout from the Kilpatrick scandal (which I don't see happening), then it's at least possible he could make up the votes elsewhere.  For the record, I would take it extremely personally if my home state were to vote Republican, I don't see it as the natural order of things.

by Steve M 2008-08-11 09:49AM | 0 recs
How are Obama and Kilpatrick connected?

I can see the local machine being out of whack and hurting Obama turnout, but I haven't heard anything about Obama being linked to Kilpatrick any more than Obama being linked to Edwards.

by magster 2008-08-11 09:23AM | 0 recs
Re: How are Obama and Kilpatrick connected?

Well, the theory of the article is that the GOP would create the link, such as by showing Kilpatrick's introduction of Rev. Wright before the NAACP in Detroit.

There certainly is no real connection.  In fact, it was persistently rumored during the primary that Kilpatrick was actually more of a Clinton supporter, although he obviously kept it under wraps since his own constituency is overwhelmingly pro-Obama.

Kilpatrick regularly quotes Obama, invokes his name in speeches, and so forth, but it's simply a case of an embattled politician trying to rally support by linking himself with a more popular politician.  I'm confident Obama would just as soon his name were left out of it.

by Steve M 2008-08-11 09:46AM | 0 recs
Re: How are Obama and Kilpatrick connected?

No one wants to state the obvious.  They are both Black, relatively young, "new to politics", inexperienced Democrats.  Guess which one of the these things will the rev wright redux focus on.

by lamh3176 2008-08-11 12:29PM | 0 recs
Re: WTF in Detroit, Michigan

If you are a Republican in Michigan, it is always, always, always good politics to run against Detroit, mayoral corruption, yadda yadda.  The Republican AG declared long ago that Kilpatrick should resign, and he is no doubt thrilled to be able to file a new set of felony charges against Kilpatrick arising out of the mayor's assault on a sheriff's deputy.

On the other hand, if you're a Democrat, the only way for you to win a statewide election is with good turnout in Detroit, which means you need to nurture that relationship.  Undoubtedly the reason why Gov. Granholm has been dragging her feet for months on this is because she's hoping someone else will act before she has to, or that the mayor will jump before she pushes him.

I don't know that this really has a ton of effect on the presidential race, aside from Obama's awkward role as the guy who must denounce every bad thing done by a black person somewhere.  The only issue is that the more chaos there is in the mayor's office, the less effective the turnout machine will be in November.

This may or may not be an issue, because Detroit is surely super-energized to vote for Obama either way, but I think the best-case scenario is if Kilpatrick leaves office ASAP and there's a chance to restore a little stability before November comes around.

by Steve M 2008-08-11 09:27AM | 0 recs
I am no Obama apologist BUT
why would anyone let any Republican get away with saying Obama is responsible for all corrupt black politicians?  What connection (other than skin tone) does Obama have with Kwame?
If a veteran suffering from PTSD shoots up a post office, or an older man with dementia drives through a store window, does that reflect on McCain?
by kosnomore 2008-08-11 09:44AM | 0 recs
Re: WTF in Detroit, Michigan
Jerome,
Perhaps I am naive, but I don't understand why this is bad for Obama.  Is he close to Kwame or was he supportive of him?
I think that the whole story plays into "lets get rid of bad pols", democratic or republican that Obama's message pushes.
Could this possibly help him with undecided voters who might see McCain as part of the old style of politics (complete with questionable lady friends and special interests calling the shots)?
by epiphany 2008-08-11 09:51AM | 0 recs
Re: WTF in Detroit, Michigan

kilpatrick was Obama's loudest supporter in Michigan. He went to the national media to bat for Obama more than once.

He was very vocal about Obama.

The problem is that where Kilpatrick actually had pull and could turn out voters, he has lost credibility.

Its like not being able to use Edwards to shore up blue collar votes anymore.

by sepulvedaj3 2008-08-11 10:54AM | 0 recs
Re: WTF in Detroit, Michigan

thanks

by epiphany 2008-08-11 12:14PM | 0 recs
I think MI will fall in the R column

I think that the only blue state that will flip is MI and I think it will likely fall in R column. The detroit mayor and Wright are problems of course, and the primary fiasco (whoever is to blame for it) makes it even harder. But I agree with Jerome that MI is not crucial, majority can be built elsewhere. MO,OH,IN,CO,NV,VA and MT has enough electoral votes. If by some remote chance, Obama picks up Gore or Clinton, FL will also come into full play.

by ann0nymous 2008-08-11 09:51AM | 0 recs
Re: WTF in Detroit, Michigan

I see Jerome has written something new, so it must be bad news, or something that can be construed as bad news, for Obama.

I mean, really, your antipathy is so transparent. It is sad.

by anoregonreader 2008-08-11 10:02AM | 0 recs
while this raises valid concerns...

This thread contains a lot of hand wringing over a state that has polled in Obama's favor in every poll since the beginning of June. Let's not be calling MI a toss-up just yet.

by Casuist 2008-08-11 10:15AM | 0 recs
Re: WTF in Detroit, Michigan

Kwame Kilpatrick needs to go and go now..it is incomprehensible that he is not impeached. His personal ambitions and wrongdoings are affecting Democratic Party's chances in MI this November.

by louisprandtl 2008-08-11 10:37AM | 0 recs
Re: WTF in Detroit, Michigan

No but keep the anti christ memo going.

We must pander to the hageees of the world.

by DemsLandslide2008 2008-08-11 01:17PM | 0 recs
I humbly suggest that you cool it...n/t

by louisprandtl 2008-08-11 01:37PM | 0 recs
Re: I humbly suggest that you cool it...n/t

Cool it?   That sounds SOOOOO Familiar.

Man, I hope you aren't who I think you are.

Well for all those scratching their heads, Louis attacked the existence of the Anti-christ right wing meme being pushed in churches and prayer groups all over the country.

Do you remember Pastor Hagee, this is the kind of religious bigotry he survives on.

Louis, do you support the Anti-christ meme, yes or no.

so far I have gotten a big fat no comment from you,  oh yeah, and you told me to cool it like you own the place.

by DemsLandslide2008 2008-08-11 02:36PM | 0 recs
of course you have no interest in
polite discourse.
  1. I don't own the place. I'm just another regular MyDD reader.
  2. I didn't attack the existence of Anti-Christ right wing meme. I called you out because you asked Jerome about his religious upbringing. That is way out of line. Of course you don't understand why that was beyond pale even for you.
  3. Yes you're lying. See 2.
by louisprandtl 2008-08-11 03:24PM | 0 recs
Re: I humbly suggest that you cool it...n/t

The only one acting like they own the place is you.

by hootie4170 2008-08-11 09:27PM | 0 recs
Can't win without Michigan...

Is a load of hooey.  One example: McCain overextends in Michigan in hopes of winning it, and picks it off.  He's already stated that he's not going to contest really red states which are looking good and in which Obama is creating huge GOTV infastructures.  The polls showing Indiana, North Dakota, and Montana even turn out to be right.  Let's say Obama's ground game adds 5 points to the edge in these states...Indiana has 11 ev's, ND & Mont have 3 apiece...that's 17 ev's, offsetting Michigan.  And that's just one scenario.  Any effort McCain puts into Michigan will hurt his chances in other states...and so many "red" states could tip either way.

And McCain would need to put a hell of a lot of effort and resources into winning Michigan, regardless of the Kilpatrick nonsense...particularly if he decides to keep making this the one place he continues his "straight talk express" and keeps talking up free trade...IN MICHIGAN!!!!

by thurst 2008-08-11 10:46AM | 0 recs
That being said...

I hope he does (and do think he will) win Michigan...just sick of the whole, "he can't win without" style simplifications...

"Through the gutter, slime and stinky/[John McCain/Glenn Thrush] is a twinkie...damn my social conscience" (all apologies to opus and berkley breathed)

by thurst 2008-08-11 10:55AM | 0 recs
WTF indeed

This is notable why?

Black/black?

All those "hardworking whites" are going to be Piiiised at Obama for sure.

by lojasmo 2008-08-11 11:09AM | 0 recs
Re: WTF in Detroit, Michigan

Why must Obama be compared to every single African-American politician in the entire country?

by Skaje 2008-08-11 04:10PM | 0 recs
Can we put aside the partisanship for a minute...

and consider what might be best for the city of Detroit? It doesn't seem that a mayor under multiple indictments, who keeps violating his bail bond agreements, is going to be an effective leader for a city that needs help. Kilpatrick needs to go.

by johnny longtorso 2008-08-11 04:36PM | 0 recs