John "I Didn't Say What I Said" McCain

As I've written before, John McCain has this amusing little habit of denying his own words. It's as if he's not aware that we have these devices nowadays that record sound and images and still other devices that replay them. Whether it be his "100 years in Iraq" comment or his "it's not too important when the troops come home" line, when called on it, he simply chooses to pretend he never said anything of the kind, crying "Out of context!" like a child trying to avoid punishment for something everyone knows he did.

McCain's latest "I didn't say what I said" moment -- this one on the subject of his self-professed lack of economic expertise -- came this morning on Good Morning America:

"Good Morning America's" Robin Roberts...asked McCain why he went abroad when the No. 1 issue for voters was the U.S. economy.

"You have admitted that you're not exactly an expert when it comes to the economy," Roberts began.

"I have not. I have not. I actually have not," McCain interrupted. "I said that I am stronger on national security issues because of all the time I spent in the military. Very strong on the economy. I understand it. I have a lot more experience than my opponent."

In response, The DNC has released this excellent compilation video of all the times McCain has let us know just how NOT an expert on the economy he is.

Man this guy's pathetic.

Tags: 2008 Presidential election, Economy, John McCain (all tags)

Comments

I wonder

if we could do nothing and just let mccain beat himself?

by kevin22262 2008-07-02 04:23PM | 0 recs
Re: I wonder

I trhuly believe that is Obama's best strategy option. That's what I didn't get about the town hall meetings not being high on his list. There is a 90% chance McCain would both blow up over something asked and/or say something during one of them that would be in such direct opposite to what he said earlier, the news would finally be required to cover it.

by Dog Chains 2008-07-02 04:30PM | 0 recs
Re: I wonder

Wouldn't that be hilarious?  They could have CNN live feeds stationed at his house each day, watching him play video games with assorted Democratic pols.

by rfahey22 2008-07-02 04:34PM | 0 recs
McCain also said that he NEVER

said that he was for privatizing social security but just a couple years before he said that he was for privatizing social security.

We netroots need to document every time that McCain has LIED.

McCain is blasting Obama for not "keeping his word" well Obama needs to blast McCain for LYING REPEATEDLY.

by puma 2008-07-02 04:29PM | 0 recs
uuummm

I think mccain would say...
he never said never but then he would have to back up and say that he never said that he never said never and then he would have to say that he never said that he never said that he never said he said never...

hahaha

that hurt my brain.  :)

by kevin22262 2008-07-02 04:37PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain also said that he NEVER

Steve Benen already has a 50 or so point list going ... and KO covered a lot of it the other night

by Calvin Jones and the 13th Apostle 2008-07-02 06:42PM | 0 recs
HAH HA HA HA HA! HO HO HO HO! SUCKER!

henry rollins band, liar

by truth hurts 2008-07-02 04:51PM | 0 recs
McCain learned all the wrong things from Bush

John McCain is running for President based off of his 2000 campaign.  He is no longer that man. Life and Washington has beat him down. Back in 2000, if you can imagine, people actually respected him as an honest guy and a maverick.

Since then, he has backed away from all his core beliefs. The point in which you knew he had  finally turned to the dark side was when he voted for the torture bill that let Bush determine what torture was.

How can anyone vote for this guy?

by erlin 2008-07-02 07:53PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain learned all the wrong things from Bush

since then, he has backed away from all his core beliefs.

he once might have appeared to have had core beliefs, but today no one knows what they are. did he ever have any to begin with or have they always been a facade? this is the essential problem of dealing with liars.

by truth hurts 2008-07-03 01:50AM | 0 recs
In a nutshell- BNF video

Thank the gods for You Tube. McCain has spent half of the campaign denying he said things that he's said numerous times. His campaign staff must hate it when he gets interviewed on TV, without Lieberman or Graham by his side to rephrase all his gaffes.
My dad was planning on voting for McCain, I think I'll send him this...

(From Brave New Films)