Barack Obama at La Raza

The theme of the La Raza brunch is The Power to Change History. Janet Murguia is speaking now introducing Barack Obama. She said her first experience with Obama was when he reached out to La Raza upon first having been sworn in a a US Senator. She's speaking about what an ally Obama has been to La Raza.

He stood with us on legislation to help stem the current housing crisis. He has stood with us on the Dream Act and helped pass Illinois' own version of the Dream Act, stood with us on increasong access to health care for latino and immigrant children and in our attempt last year to pass comprehensive immigration reform.

She just introduced Barack Obama as "the next president..." and then caught herself and refered to him as the presumptive Democratic nominee. Whoops.

Update [2008-7-13 15:56:14 by Todd Beeton]:Barack took the stage and got a great reception. "Si se puede!"

"I will never forget that the most important experience in my life came when I was working every day on the ground in our communities to make change." He's speaking about his work community organizing on the south side of Chicago, a largely Latino community.

"Change does not come from the top down, change comes from the bottom up. Change doesn't happen just because someone in Washington says it should. Change starts when you teach a child to read or register to vote...when you heal broken bodies and troubled spirits, organize communities and allow people to join unions."

Update [2008-7-13 15:56:14 by Todd Beeton]:The theme of this speech is "The system is not working.""The system is not working when...the student who is top in her class can't afford to go to college...when 12 million people stay in the shadows and employers hire undocumeted workers instead of citizens so they can avoid paying overtime and exploiting workers...when neighborhoods are terrorized by ICE...others are ripped from their babies."

The overflow room is now applauding.

"I will be a president who works with you and who walks with you every step of the way."

He's now speaking about the importance of the values of the hispanic and immigrant communities. "That sense that we are in this together, that we are our brother's keeper, we are our sister's keeper...the values that have made the Hispanic community so strong have made America strong too. This election is a test to our allegiance to the American dream."

On McCain and comprehensive immigration reform:

"I know Senator McCain used to buck his party by supporting comprehensive immigration reform. I admired his courageous stance and joined him in it. But as he was competing for his party's nomination he said he wouldn't sign the bill that he himself wrote."

"I marched with you in the streets of Chicago and I fought for you in the senate and I will make it a top priority as president of the United States."

On what immigration reform means:

"We should require them to pay a fine...learn english...go to the back of the line but we can not have 12 million people in the shadows. That would turn America into something we are not. We need to offer the 12 million of those who are undocumented a path to citizenship."

Update [2008-7-13 15:56:14 by Todd Beeton]:He's now going after McCain's "health care plan."

"I will take on the drug and insurance companies. We are going to guarantee health insurance for anyone who needs it and make it affordable for anyone who wants it."

He just mentioned a new element to his health care plan, which would make it easier for small businesses to offer employees quality health care through tax breaks. "This is a plan that was championed by my friend Hillary Clinton." The ballroom and the overflow room went nuts."

Update [2008-7-13 16:5:7 by Todd Beeton]:He got another strong reception when he said "this election is going to hinge on you." He spoke about the power of the latino community in elections and the importance of "translating your numbers into votes." He said hundreds of thousands of latino voters in New Mexico did not turn out in 2004 yet John Kerry lost the state by less than 6,000 votes.

"La Raza: 'the people.' I'm told the original phrase was 'the cosmic people.' That's big...The notion that we are all a part of a larger community, that we are all in this together, that we are our brother's keeper."

"That's how we're going to make the system work for everyone."...that system belongs to every last one of us...This November we're coming together to turn the page on the failed policies of the past and together we are not only going to win this election but we will transform this nation."

Tags: Barack Obama, la raxa (all tags)

Comments

He is the next President n/t

by parahammer 2008-07-13 11:37AM | 0 recs
I can't even imagine

a roomful of people "going nuts" for McSame.

by Beren 2008-07-13 12:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama at La Raza

Not even a room full of Washington (a ha-ha) "journalists"?

by spirowasright 2008-07-13 12:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama at La Raza

1. He's referring to lawful enforcement of our laws as "terrorizing".

2. He doesn't understand what "raza" signifies, and BHO isn't "raza". It's a good thing he wasn't around in the 30s: he would have gone to a Bund meeting and thought he was "Volk" too.

by TheLonewackoBlog 2008-07-13 12:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama at La Raza

This may sound crazy, but something can be lawful and wrong at the same time.

by Sarcastro 2008-07-13 12:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama at La Raza

Sounds like it was a Obama raucus any video up? Really want to it.

by Makey 2008-07-13 12:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama at La Raza

McCain ought to call Hanoi and ask if he could have his room back.

by QTG 2008-07-13 12:31PM | 0 recs

That is not funny .

by lori 2008-07-13 12:42PM | 0 recs

Are you drunk?

by spacemanspiff 2008-07-13 12:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama at La Raza

There is nothing funny about this.  We are - or should be, better than cracks like that.

by January 20 2008-07-13 01:01PM | 0 recs

Obama/Clinton '08-the only way to go

by Lakrosse 2008-07-13 12:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama at La Raza

No, it is absolutely not the only way to go.  It may make the most sense, but then again it may not.

by Reaper0Bot0 2008-07-13 02:53PM | 0 recs
Comprehensive immigration reform

I'm not a fan of what amounts to amnesty (I like the current system and it's built in deterants, actually - with better border security). But I applaud Obama for not pandering to white rednecks on this issue.

by Lance Bryce 2008-07-13 12:55PM | 0 recs
Re: Comprehensive immigration reform

Until the border has been secured which has both national security and economic implications , I do not support any form of amnesty..

We obviously would have to deal with the millions of illegal immigrants here but we have to be able to certifiable take control of our borders , i don't know how you remain a sovereign nation without control of your borders .

It is really perplexing.

by lori 2008-07-13 01:06PM | 0 recs
imaginary

no nation has control of all its borders...well, maybe the vatican or lichtenstein.

We can have real security or the illusion of security...i prefer real.

by PHDinNYC4Kerry 2008-07-13 01:10PM | 0 recs
Re: imaginary

I do not expect the government to have full control of all of its borders , however I expect a better job than what is being done now .

My idea of real security is not what we have now.

Illegal immigration is an issue we have been dealing with for decades.

by lori 2008-07-13 01:16PM | 0 recs
Re: imaginary

Forgive the wordplay, but it's an issue that we have not been dealing with for decades.

I'm all for border security if its sane.  I think back to the absurdity of the Soviets trying something akin to what the Republicans now want and I laugh my ass off.

Short of generating a massive death ray/force field we aren't going to seal it off.  The best solution to the immigration issue (which dovetails a bit with the terrorism issue) is to foster a successful Mexican economy.  Take away the disparity and there's far less reason to come here illegally.  If that community shrinks then far fewer opportunities for mischief abound.

by Reaper0Bot0 2008-07-13 02:55PM | 0 recs
Neena Terra

seems to be having quite an impact already on Obama's healthcare plan.  I think he'll flip on mandates for adults eventually but should hold off for awhile until this flop-flopper narrative dies down a little bit.  Healthcare is one of the most underrated issues in this campaign (it's probably why Hillary won Ohio by nine instead of three) and my prediction is that it'll be just as important in voter's minds as the War in Iraq come November.

by Blazers Edge 2008-07-13 01:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Hmmm

Idiot.

by Reaper0Bot0 2008-07-13 02:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama at La Raza

I caught a little of the Obama speech, enough to hear him say something along the lines of: "Spanish speakers need to learn English, but English speakers also need to learn Spanish", to which I, and everyone in the room, said a big FUCK YOU!. America is an English speaking country, and anyone wanting to move here has to learn the National language, and don't fucking tell me I have to learn Spanish. I can not believe this idiot is our nominee for president. Is it too late to bring JRE back? I would even settle for Hillary.

by muggle 2008-07-13 05:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama at La Raza

I think Obama stuck his foot in his mouth. Saying that Ice is terrorizing neighborhoods will alienate him from most Federal law enforcement officers. They are enforcing the law as little as they are allowed by political appointees and getting blamed for all that goes wrong. Now, Obama has essentially called them terrorists, but he won't call the illegal aliens criminals..... what is wrong here? Have all our politicians gone crazy? It's ok to call and apple an apple. But calling brave men and women terrorists for upholding our laws that WE enacted is lunacy! he also said that children were ripped out of mothers arms..... where? when? name one incident and be specific! He can't!!!  If you all want to vote for him... go ahead, but don't bitch later about how much he sucks! and... if you do.... do it in Spanish please! :-)

by jake450 2008-07-13 11:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama at La Raza

Oh.. and anyone who says they are just here to make a better life for their families.....

If you found out that your next door neighbor, a legal citizen of the united states, had committed tax fraud, document fraud and conspiracy to commit immigration fraud and social security fraud as well as identitiy theft from some unsuspecting person..... you would say,,,"arrest them" Why do ILLEGAL aliens get a pass?

There are ILLEGAL aliens from all countries and races here and I say deport all of them regardless of nationality or race. That's fair right?

by jake450 2008-07-13 11:12PM | 0 recs