Unity

Beyond just having heard one of the best speeches I had heard during the course of the entire campaign (and I've seen, both live and on television, a lot since the DNC winter meetings nearly a year and a half ago), I think the thing that really stuck out to me from Hillary Clinton's magnificent speech from here at the National Building Museum was the unity, both from the candidate and (perhaps more importantly) from the crowd.

Some on cable news and on the nets may point out that a few "boos" were heard emanating from the crowd when Clinton spoke of the importance of the party coming together. Those who were actually in the hall would have noticed that the number of dissenters was remarkably small compared with the overall size of the audience. Out of a few thousand hardcore supporters in the hall, only one real "booer" could be heard over those cheering Clinton's repeated endorsements, and perhaps at most a half dozen others could be heard heckling.

Does this mean that there were no people here who were unhappy about the fact that Senatoc Clinton ended her candidacy today? Of course not. At the same time, the overwhelming unity from the crowd and the candidate herself today was really remarkable and is a tremendously good sign for the Democrats going forward.

Update [2008-6-7 14:9:48 by Todd Beeton]:In an e-mail to the DNC list with the simple subject line "Unity", Howard Dean expounds on the "We are family" theme of Hillary Clinton's speech.

We've just finished the most exciting primary contest in a generation, and Barack Obama is our presumptive nominee for President.

Senator Clinton ran an outstanding campaign and we all should be deeply thankful for the passion, energy, and ideas that defined her from the start.  Our country and our Party are better off today because the incredible amount of work she and her supporters put into her campaign.  We thank Hillary for her leadership, her commitment to America and the Democratic Party.

It can be tough to lose a hard-fought race -- I know, because I've been there.  But no matter who you supported, you're part of a bigger family -- one that shares the same hopes, values, and dreams.  This campaign is so much more than any of us or any candidate.  It's about the future of our country, and our collective desire to take it back for the people who make it great.

Over the next few weeks and months, our family will reunite.  It starts today, and I'm asking for your help.  Reach out to your friends and family, your neighbors and coworkers, and anyone else who may have fought hard for what they believed in.  Bring them in and remind them that we're a family -- that together, we can bring about fundamental change and elect a Democratic president.

We have to be unified if we're going to bring universal health care to America's families, to help fight global climate change, to ensure a woman's right to make her own medical decisions, and to end the war in Iraq.

We have to be unified if we're going to put a Democrat back in the White House.

Over the past few years, we've all been part of the work to rebuild the Democratic Party in all 50 states.

When the primary came around, we found ourselves with two once-in-a-lifetime candidates.  Barack and Hillary crossed the country inspiring activists, building organizations, and registering new voters.  In state after state, we saw record turnout that dwarfed the Republican's; we saw hundreds of thousands of Americans become involved with a Democratic campaign for the first time; and millions of voters saw just how passionately we feel about the future of our country.

After years of rebuilding and a historic primary campaign, our Democratic community is stronger than ever before.  And with Barack Obama, we have a candidate who has inspired millions of people to believe again.

But change doesn't come easily -- and no matter how much we've prepared, no matter how inspiring our candidate, no matter how badly we want it to happen, we have to fight for it every step of the way.  Absolutely nothing will be handed to us over the next five months -- we have to do everything we can to make sure Barack Obama is our next President.

We've just seen two brilliant candidates run the most exciting primary in decades.  Now we need to come together and finish the job.

I'm looking forward to it.

Howard Dean

Well said, Chairman.

Tags: 2008 (all tags)

Comments

Re: Unity

As a hard core Obama supporter, I have to agree that this was the best speech of the campaign. She knocked it out of the park big time. I must confess I was not keeen on her as VP but this speech has changed my mind on that. I think she would make a fine VP.

I look forward to seeing her in  places like Ohio stumping for Obama.

by telfishbackagain 2008-06-07 10:01AM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

More than any other person at this juncture, the fate of the Democratic Party was in Hillary Clinton's hands today.  Would she unite the party or exacerbate a move to increased factionalism and zero-sum gain identity politics?  Clearly she's done the former, and my hat is off to her for doing so.

by robitude 2008-06-07 10:02AM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

Was a wonderful speech.  I am so proud today to be a Democrat, we have such an abundance of riches.  This just feels like the beginning of a great new era in American history; the needs of this country and the answers provided by our party and its amazing leaders.

by mady 2008-06-07 10:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

MSNBC is basically replaying her whole speech again...

by falseintellect 2008-06-07 10:07AM | 0 recs
it will be rerun in its entirert at 4eastern...

adjust for your specific time zone...

by bored now 2008-06-07 10:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

I knew the booing had to come from a tiny number of people - like less than five - because they got shut up very quickly.  You can't do that with silence a large group like that.

There are real cracks in the party right now, and there are a million ways that Republicans could pry them open and pray upon them right now.  If about 10 dittoheads had thought of it, they could have gone to the rally today and booed, or tried to disrupt everything.  They did not.  But it's only a matter of time before this kind of stuff occurs to people.

by Jess81 2008-06-07 10:08AM | 0 recs
There's no way to gauge this but...

Of those few, there's a real possiblity that many of them were Limbots, trying to make trouble.  And if they were really Hillary supporters, I hope the majority of them were touched by Senator Clinton's very touching speech.

by SpanishFly 2008-06-07 10:09AM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

The speech was so good I'd actually be open now to contributing to her to help retire her debt, something I was dead set against before the speech.  I just went the Obama website and used the tool to send her a message which undoubtedly will result in an email back from Hillary's campaign, and I welcome that.  Great speech.

by Piuma 2008-06-07 10:09AM | 0 recs
Yes unity

I wish some at Dkos would remember what that word means.

I went over to check things out, saw some good but also lots of negative Clinton stuff and nitpicking of her words.

I don't think I will EVER go back to Dkos the way I had been there before. It is no longer and will most likely never be my first place to go.

MyDD and EENR are my main blog homes now.

by kevin22262 2008-06-07 10:14AM | 0 recs
mydd is better, anyway...

by bored now 2008-06-07 10:27AM | 0 recs
In the past

I always came to MyDD but it was usually like third on my list.

Wes Clark's site and Dkos were usually first, this year I added John Edwards site as one of my top sites.
I always pushed people to come to MyDD because there was more opportunity to get on the rec list, your diaries would stay visible longer and there was more policy being spoken here. Some, even years ago, did not like the "toughness" of this place.

But, since kos himself helped put Dkos into the extreme bash and hate filled gutter... I have less respect and less patience with that site. It is no longer the first place I go.

In order of where I go now..

MyDD, EENR, and then I spread it out between what grabs me... SercuringAmerica.com, Dkos, MyLeftWing, and many other "Left" sites.

by kevin22262 2008-06-07 10:36AM | 0 recs
Don't forget

Don't forget about Openleft.com   -- some of the most level-headed and intelligent analysis out there.  The frontpagers are great and the comments are generally quite intelligent, insightful and civil.

That's my first go-to.  It used to be MyDD, before the primary made everyone get really mean!  I teach in inner-city public schools; I have no need for any more childish name-calling and arguing in my life :)

With any luck, everyone will be calming down here somewhat and we can save all our snark for McCain!

by Ms Bluezone 2008-06-07 01:18PM | 0 recs
openleft is too policy-oriented...

mydd has traditionally been more campaign or politics oriented.

i personally don't visit openleft because i think democrats are far too prone to get bogged down into policy discussions.  i'm personally more interested in message, and how we communicate our policy/party direction to voters.  that's much more likely to happen here, i think...

by bored now 2008-06-08 06:22AM | 0 recs
Re: openleft is too policy-oriented...

Yeah ... policy discussions ... it's like crack to me ...

by Ms Bluezone 2008-06-08 03:45PM | 0 recs
heh...

by bored now 2008-06-09 09:54AM | 0 recs
Yes we need unity not nit-pickers

Well just to even things out in the spirit of unity I think I'll go over to Dkos more often because I was so impressed with the OVERWHELMING number of comments praising Hillary's speech. I guess your comment is one of MYDD's tiny minority just like those who Booed Hillary's speech! Shame on them!

by eddieb 2008-06-07 11:42AM | 0 recs
Re: Yes we need unity not nit-pickers

tiny minority?

What do you mean?

by kevin22262 2008-06-07 11:59AM | 0 recs
we need unity not nit-pickers

I guess that was redundant wasn't it! :)

by eddieb 2008-06-07 12:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

I am so much happier to have a rapidly uniting party. I've always enjoyed this site and those who post here. It sucked having two rival camps. Now we can combine our efforts and defeat the GOP in the Fall. Big Time!

by kitebro 2008-06-07 10:14AM | 0 recs
I gave her a standing O for that speech.

I agree with others thinking she would be a good choice for VP based on that speech today.  Who else could have rallied the troops so well?

by GFORD 2008-06-07 10:15AM | 0 recs
That was Hillary's BEST speech!

I LOVED IT!!!

by puma 2008-06-07 10:16AM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

I agree with you. It was one of the best speeches of the entire campaign. She was incredible. And the theme of unity was loud and clear, front and center.

by linfar 2008-06-07 10:16AM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

Her speech was amazing.  The setting was beautiful, the supporters were gracious, she was inspiring.

Good day for Dem party.

by Deadalus 2008-06-07 10:18AM | 0 recs
it's a great place for these kinds of events...

by bored now 2008-06-07 10:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

I'm all for unity, and hope Obama wipes the floor with McCain. But unity is a two-way street. As long as Obama supporters are taking shots at Hillary and her supporters, this will be a hard task.

by Chelsea in 2020 2008-06-07 10:26AM | 0 recs
as you get older, you'll find that...

there are lots of battles you'll fight, some that you win, some you lose.  for most progressives, losing is more common -- and the times one wins so infrequent that you can become a bit of a jerk when it finally happens.  so forgive us, we who are jerks.  it may be the only battle we win.

when it happens for you, we'll cut you some slack for celebrating it so hard...

by bored now 2008-06-07 10:32AM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

All I can say is "You can't soar with eagles(Hillary) if you let the Turkeys(Hillary's detracters) get you down." Just ignore them and follow her example and help us all beat McInSane.

by eddieb 2008-06-07 11:51AM | 0 recs
A magnificent and historical speech

I've been tougher on her and her supporters than just about anyone, but that was an extremely difficult speech to deliver and she, as someone noted previously, knocked it out of the park.

If you're a Hillary supporter, you backed a great lady and you should be proud.  If you're an Obama supporter, you owe her your gratitude for what she did today for the Democratic party and the future of America.

Bravo Hillary! Bravo!

by Rumproast 2008-06-07 10:26AM | 0 recs
Re: A magnificent and historical speech

I agree... this is the speech I really feared we'd not hear.

But then again, I think a Clinton supporter really could care less if I gush now.

I do remember being frustrated at all the Bushies who LOVED Gore's concession. Of course you loved it, it was a concession.

I imagine Clinton supporters feeling kind of the same way. Nothing sounds better than the other guy giving up. Since I haven't listened with the most open of minds to Hillary's speeches over the last few, of course, I heard this one for all her strengths, rather than all her weaknesess.

Not sure my point here. Just some empathy.

by Lettuce 2008-06-07 10:52AM | 0 recs
Good thing we have Dean

I wasn't a "Deaniac" in 04 but I am sure glad we have him now.  I don't think many party heads could have done as good a job in 06 as he did and (partially because of that) I don't think many could help create unity in the party as he can.

by PantsB 2008-06-07 10:34AM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

As a diehard Hillary supporter, I offer this as an example of the great President she would have been, should have been.

I can take no joy in backing Obama right now.

Despite my Hillary's superb show of spirit, strength, wisdom, compassion, and encouragement, I am just not as fine a person as she.

by dembluestates 2008-06-07 10:37AM | 0 recs
Unity

I don't think she asked you to be as fine a person as she is, just to follow her example. It's not so hard to do if you really believe in her. If she can do it so can you! :)

by eddieb 2008-06-07 11:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

It was a good speech -- but why do we all look at Vice President as the best spot for a nomination runner-up?

I think those that have seen in Hillary the role of a partisan general in what may be one of the most influencial upcoming congresses of all time -- have it right. Imagine how close we will be to a filibuster-proof majority. With Kennedy ill, or gone, we need a lion.

She roars but good.

She can drive health care from the Senate. It would be the ultimate coda to Hillarycare -- which was driven from the WH without real congressional involvement. That mistake can be righted in reverse -- with a White House willing to merge the relatively small differences between the plans. (And the matter of vocabulary of "mandates" resolved.)

I delight playing the What-If game. I thought Hillary was always a better Senatorial presence than executive anyway -- for some reason people called this sexist from time to time. I felt the same way about Kerry and to a lesser extent Dean. I wonder if there's a Supreme Court role in her future too... maybe the ultimate "senatorial" position (since the supreme court is far more committee minded than single-brained judicious.)

Now, put an Edwards as AG, overseeing the prosecution of the war profiteers and the Delta Reconstruction that should have happened ages ago. Gore as Sec/State -- since national security, environment and world diplomacy could have no greater arm at the helm. A strong labor sec to ride the economy forward, maybe Eliz. Edwards as an HHS sec that will make an obama/hillary/edwards plan truly happen with the support of a country crying out for it.

I love playing this game. R. Clark at National Security Advisor, Wes Clark at the UN.

But today I really saw in Hillary the next lion of the Senate. Roar.

by Lettuce 2008-06-07 10:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

My guess is that the people who feel the worst, are most dejected, are seriously depressed, and fullest of despair.....

are REPUBLICANS!

That speech was a kick in the nuts to Republicans who had been counting on Democrats to resort to voting for McCain in November. That last desperate hope for Bush's 3rd term was stomped on by a real Democratic leader.

Bravo, Hillary, I'm gonna proudly help you pay off those debts.

by xdem 2008-06-07 11:21AM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

I am an Obama supporter and I feel it's important for me to say something to all Hillary's supporters here. I am truly impressed by the large enthusiastic crowd and their heartfelt honest embrace of her and the suprisingly positive response to her call for support of Obama. I now have a much better feel of the kind people you are and the support she has gotten from all of you folks here and over at Dkos! I salute you!

by eddieb 2008-06-07 12:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

For all you guys who are having trouble swithing gears just think about Heavy weight prize fighters. They all but kill each other. Before, with insults and demeaning antics and during, Beating and pounding each other with everything they've got! Then to everyone suprise wen ITS OVER the Real Champs and Losers hug and congratulate each other and move on to the next battle! This is our challenge! So i congradulate you all so we can move on to the next and real battle to win the WH!

by eddieb 2008-06-07 12:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

In thanks to Hillary Clinton for her endorsement of Barack Obama, I have donated to her campaign $25.  I also donated $100 to Obama's campaign today.  Take that McBush and your band of rethugs.

by Spanky 2008-06-07 12:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

From a website with a different POV:

Goto http://democrats.org/contact.html and under ISSUES tab write in that your a Clinton supporter and will never vote for Obama.  This will send a clear message.

by BARB 2008-06-07 02:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

Barb, I am sorry you are still so upset about Hillary's close contest.  (actually a tie, but the way we do delegates, gave it to Obama). Perhaps that would be a good start for Clinton?  Chairing a committee to change the Dem primary system.  Think of the good she would bring to it with what she learned!

Even if you can not vote for Obama, but I believe that will change as time goes on and you hear the difference between he and McSame, please Do NOT vote for McSame-- Remember when one of his supporters asked him "how are we gonna beat the bitch in Nov?" ?  He just chuckled.  He could have put that sorry excuse for a female in her place by saying, "Ms. Clinton is my colleague.  We don't using disparaging words against each other."  Remember that he just chuckled.  (But what do you expect from the man who calls his wife a c_nt? )

Donate to Hillary's campaign to help retire her debt and please be sure to support down line Dem candidates. This is not the year to carry a grudge because your choice candidate didn't get in.  We have much to change in the next 8 years.  It won't happen with McSame.

by citizensane 2008-06-07 03:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

I was at the speech in the upper balcony where I could watch much of the crowd , and it was very clear that only about 25% of the crowd cheered her positive comments about Barack..the rest were silent. When she spoke of feminism or her own efforts the volume of cheers was incredibly intense. This was not a crowd reconciled to Obama...despite Hilary's eloquent support of unity...

by oderb 2008-06-09 02:12AM | 0 recs
Re: Unity

I thought Hillary was always a better Senatorial presence than executive anyway.

by anasky123 2008-06-24 09:49PM | 0 recs