Chuck Schumer to MyDD on Moving Forward

Following Hillary Clinton's remarks from the National Building Museum earlier this afternoon, I had a moment to ask Senator Chuck Schumer, an early and ardent supporter of the Clinton campaign, for his message moving forward to the MyDD community and the netroots more broadly.

powered by ODEO

Jonathan Singer: Can you speak to the online supporters, the people online who are so strong for Hillary, who don't want to see her leave, as a strong Hillary supporter yourself?

Sen. Chuck Schumer: As a strong Hillary support I say, look, I was for Hillary all the way. I was sort of the first Senator to endorse her and I guess I'll be the last off the bandwagon, which I guess will be tomorrow. But, having said that, I would say to all of the people online, there's too much at stake to sit this out, to be angry, to be bitter. There is too much at stake. A Supreme Court with more Alitos and Roberts. A continuation of the war in Iraq. A failure to have a healthcare policy that helps people. A failure to have an energy policy that frees us from foreign oil. All these are such huge things that we have to do what Hillary said there, which is overcome, not look back, even though there are lot's of disappointments, but look forward.

Tags: Chuck Schumer (all tags)

Comments

A question for you, Jonathan:

Not to be (too much of) a jerk, but I do have a question for Jonathan Singer and Josh Orton, among others.

Two weeks ago, you wrote some blistering criticism of Clinton, suggesting that she was waiting around in case Obama was assassinated. Previously, one or another of you has made other similarly explosive charges. In your praise of Clinton's speech and her historic candidacy today, do you stand by those earlier comments?

by OrangeFur 2008-06-07 11:39AM | 0 recs
Re: A question for you, Jonathan:

That's not what they said.

by spacemanspiff 2008-06-07 11:52AM | 0 recs
Re: A question for you, Jonathan:

Josh was feeding the frenzy.  He was not helping with his blog, despite the fact he knew that is not what Hillary was stating.

by colebiancardi 2008-06-07 02:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Chuck Schumer to MyDD on Moving Forward

Go Chuck!  Do what the DNC and the Big Media really want!  Go Chuck!

by krj47 2008-06-07 11:40AM | 0 recs
What Hillary asked her supporters to do

Isn't that what her speech was about today?  Coming together as a party?  Getting a Dem elected?

by Coach Jay 2008-06-07 12:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Chuck Schumer to MyDD on Moving Forward
FYi -
The big media wants a convention fight
Better ratings
by gil44 2008-06-07 01:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Moving Forward

I'm all for that, now if I could only fill up an empty enthusiasm tank the way I can for gas.

Come on Sen. Obama, give me a reason. You know what I'm talking about.

by phoenixdreamz 2008-06-07 11:49AM | 0 recs
Re: Moving Forward

I know. At least you can buy gas, with enough money.

Heck, before I can even start filling the enthusiasm tank, I need to take all the crud that the DNC left there out of it.

by OrangeFur 2008-06-07 11:57AM | 0 recs
Re: Moving Forward

Excellent analogy, phoenixdreamz.

by ChitownDenny 2008-06-07 11:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Chuck Schumer to MyDD on Moving Forward

Barack Obama played gold BEFORE the speech. He saw the speech live on the internet. Please, MyDD help put this rumor to rest and help us move towartds unity. HE DIDN"T PLAY GOLF DURING THE SPEECH. People are out there trying to circulate this rumor.

by politicalfan 2008-06-07 11:50AM | 0 recs
yeah

obama is just not good at inspiring people

by ab03 2008-06-07 11:54AM | 0 recs
whoops

meant as a (snarky) reply to the post above

by ab03 2008-06-07 11:56AM | 0 recs
I am so impressed with MyDD

doing original reporting. You guys at this site have a real opportunity to become the new water cooler to discuss ideas and Democratic values.

dailykos is too mean and angry and I just can't condone it with my mouseclicks at this point.

by catfish2 2008-06-07 11:51AM | 0 recs
This old Kossack gone

FOR GOOD!

I am hoping to watch myDD grow in a more productive way than Kos has turned out.  I spent a number of years on that site, now I just don't like it.

Got to self important, and turned into an echo chamber.

by Al Depansu 2008-06-07 11:55AM | 0 recs
Re: This old Kossack gone

Seems you recognize the KOS-ification of MyDD.

by ChitownDenny 2008-06-07 12:01PM | 0 recs
Taylor Marsh

I have been lurking over at her site for some time now and all I can say is that I'm impressed. She is proving she is a Democrat and is putting the country before herself. By taking this stance readership and ad revenue will diminish which makes it all the more obvious where her priorities are. Bravo Taylor Marsh! Bravo!

Here she is laying the smackdown in her comments section :

I had a slightly different take on Hillary's speech.

I love Hillary, but most of her speech today was dispassionate. She did what she needed to do politically, that's all. Her calls to support Obama were forced. The most passionate and genuine part of her speech was the bit about defying sexism and never giving up.

There are 9 weeks until the convention and the "presumptive nominee" does not have enough pledged delegates. I will do my part to be sure that Barack Obama's weaknesses are exposed between now and then.

I heard an opening in Hillary Clinton's speech for those of us who are NOT politicians to keep fighting in a way in which she cannot this summer. In fact, I think she's counting on it.

I am not a "fringe lunatic" as I have been called on my blog. I am not a person without a life. I am an American, a lifelong Democrat, a civil rights activist, a tax-paying citizen who believes that, as an American, it is my duty and my right to rebel, to stand up and fight for the best my country can deliver. That's what I heard Hillary say today, and that's what I intend to do. Between now and August 27, no rest for me.
TexasDarlin     | Homepage | 06.07.2008 - 3:07 pm | #

Always classy TD.

TexasDarlin | Homepage | 06.07.2008 - 3:07 pm | #

Knowing Hillary a bit, as a politician, you couldn't be more wrong. Your opinion is valuable, but your assessment would be deadly for Hillary if true. It is not true. Clinton will work tirelessly to put Obama in the White House in November. If it cannot be done it won't be because of her or supporters like me. I will not be part of any effort that leads to harming Hillary.

TaylorMarsh     | Homepage | 06.07.2008 - 3:10 pm | #

Ouch.

by spacemanspiff 2008-06-07 12:01PM | 0 recs
TD is now officially against BO

wonder how that will be received here on mydd (which as Beeton said, a site seemingly ahead of the curve on the issue of unity)

by lizardbox 2008-06-07 12:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Taylor Marsh

Wow, I'm flattered that you guys are stalking me all over the blogosphere.  I guess that means I'm effective to some degree. Otherwise, I just can't imagine why you'd give my little bitty blog the time of day. And I know you've been lurking....I'm getting thousands of hits a day!

Anyway...democracy, free speech, dissent, rebellion -- all the wonderful things I will always cherish about America.

See you in Denver!

by TexasDarlin 2008-06-07 12:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Taylor Marsh

Are you a delegate?  What makes you think you'll be welcome at the Democratic National Convention?

by PantsB 2008-06-07 02:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Taylor Marsh

No, her, Harriet Christian, and I'm going to say, four other people will be shrieking outside.

by dkm201 2008-06-07 03:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Chuck Schumer to MyDD on Moving Forward
The obama supporters who denigrated HRC at every turn must have egg on their collective face. Now that the kossholes don't have Hillary to kick around any more what will be their reason for living?
by usedmeat 2008-06-07 12:34PM | 0 recs
It must be nice

to be such an Obama hater.  You have been denegrating him and his supporters for 16 months now, and you get to bash us for at least 5 more, and then hopefully 48 more months after that.  You must be so empowered today.

Go over to talkleft and see what unity is there.  Look how many people are still saying they won't vote for him because of his Muslim background, or because his father was not American but a Kenyon.

Of course, at talkleft that is perfectly acceptable, and not racist at all.  After all, usedmeat, you have never said anything nasty about Obama, right?  You have never criticized him, his ideas, his qualifications, right?

by monkeyga 2008-06-07 12:54PM | 0 recs
Re: It must be nice
In Webster's under the definition for the word projection, do they have your picture?
by usedmeat 2008-06-07 01:57PM | 0 recs
This is misleading

There are people at Talk Left who are still angry about the treatment Hillary got from certain quarters and they are not in a forgiving mood today.  I read that blog regularly & was there most of the day.  No where have I seen any discussion of his Muslim background or his Kenyon father. And Jeralyn has now officially thrown her support to Obama.

by 1040SU 2008-06-07 03:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Chuck Schumer to MyDD on Moving Forward

As an Edwards-then-Clinton supporter, I am unhappy with the outcome. I think that the Obama campaign "gamed" the system; with only two years in the U.S. Senate, I think that the CHICAGO CABAL OF BUSINESS INTERESTS "pushed" Obama forward before he was "widely know to the American public" (Note: This is an Achilles heal with potential for defeat).  Having expressed DOUBTS over at the Daily Kos about an Obama candidacy, I was called a "HATER."

Nonetheless, Obama will get my vote in November.

Though, I foresee the Obama campaign's need to "kiss a lot of ass" to get many of the alienate, disrespected voters, including many Clinton supporters, to come around.  Obama and his campaign have given themselves a huge task.

by slip kid no more 2008-06-07 12:51PM | 0 recs
And wouldn't Clinton have had the same problems?

See, I don't get this.

I agree, both candidates have weaknesses that the GOP will exploit. Both are problematic in some ways and powerful in others.  Both have a following of very passionate supporters.

Look, it was a long drawn out campaign and either one would need to have to work hard to get as many people on board as possible.  It was obvious by March there were going to be lots of hurt feelings no matter which way it turned out.

My problem is that it was (and still is) perfectly acceptable to point out any and all of Obama's flaws, even the false ones.  However, if anyone repeated anything about HRC that may have been stated by Rush, or by Hannity or by Delay, they were a hater.  In the view of many supporters, only a hater would not vote for HRC; only a hater would attack her and state her flaws.  In their view there were zero possible problems with a Hillary candidacy.

Again, as you can see I fully admit that Obama is not perfect.  There is no such thing as a perfect candidate.  If you really believe that you have a perfect politician, then you are only looking for even more letdowns.

There was no room for discourse, ON EITHER SIDE. Both sides decided to stick their fingers in their ears and state that only their candidate could win.  Then it descended even further.

The main difference this time is that it was so extremely close.   It probably would have been better if Edwards had stayed in the race longer as he probably would have knocked one of them out much earlier.

I say this last point only because the noise machine of Republicans saying that they would not vote McCain has been dying down.  Huckabee and Romney supporters are much less vocal in their displeasure with McCain than they were 3 months ago.   I am seeing a lot less Huckabee 2012 stickers than I was back in April.

by monkeyga 2008-06-07 01:18PM | 0 recs
Re: And wouldn't Clinton have had the same problem
Facts about obama vs republican hit machine smears about HRC?
by usedmeat 2008-06-07 01:59PM | 0 recs
Re: And wouldn't Clinton have had the same problem

Obama's "new politics" won't cut it with many voters.  Just be prepared to pucker up (see above comment).

by slip kid no more 2008-06-07 03:59PM | 0 recs
Richard Mellon Sciafe

Well, since the Clintons became such good friends with him during this election, I am sure this will now pay dividends.

Hopefully, after turning him lose on Obama, she will call him up and ask him to play nice.

by monkeyga 2008-06-07 05:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Richard Mellon Sciafe

Scaife?

Are non sequitur comments typical for Obama loyalist?

God help us.

by slip kid no more 2008-06-08 06:20AM | 0 recs
20 McCain bucks?

I figure that is about how much you must have earned today for all of the GOP smears you have spread here  today.

by monkeyga 2008-06-07 02:11PM | 0 recs
Re: 20 McCain bucks?

May I use it to buy an obama secret message decoder ring?

by usedmeat 2008-06-07 02:14PM | 0 recs
(Comment Deleted)

This comment has been deleted by an administrator.

by ceojuliej 2008-06-07 03:15PM | 0 recs
The Democratic Party is better off...

without ya and yer whinin'.

by Freespeechzone 2008-06-07 03:49PM | 0 recs
Chuck Schumer

....an early and ardent supporter of the Clinton campaign.

Also an early and ardent supporter of "Waterboard" Mukasey, the Bush Regime's personal protector from any legal inquiry and accountability.

by Freespeechzone 2008-06-07 03:43PM | 0 recs