Primary Night: Lautenberg Wins, Pearce Leads Narrowly

Here are the results out of the New Jersey Democratic Senate primary look like this:

√ Sen. Frank Lautenberg: 181,467 votes (60 percent)
Cong. Rob Andrews: 101,514 votes 34 percent)

91 percent reporting

And here are the results out of the New Mexico Republican Senate primary:

Cong. Steve Pearce: 41,461 votes (52 percent)
Cong. Heather Wilson: 39,041 (48 percent)

72 percent reporting

This, and much more, over at Swing State Project...

Tags: NJ-Sen, NM-Sen, Senate 2008 (all tags)

Comments

Re: Primary Night: Lautenberg Wins, Pearce Leads N

IA-03: Boswell defeats Fallon. I was hoping Fallon would pull the upset, but Boswell had a lot of advantages.

by blueflorida 2008-06-03 07:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Primary Night: Lautenberg Wins

3rd oldest senator wins nomination for 5th term!

by doberman pinche 2008-06-03 07:23PM | 0 recs
Will he win again?

I know NJ hasn't elected a GOP Senator in forever.  I remember back when I lived there and he beat Millicent Fenwick.   I just was wondering if he would still be popular enough to win.

by monkeyga 2008-06-03 07:39PM | 0 recs
He'll win...

His approval ratings are abysmal, but as a longtime erstwhile Jerseyite, he'll run away with it.  Jersey hates its politicians of any party, but the Republican party of NJ is so in tatters, they could barely find anyone to run.  Add to that, the fact that the NRSC(right acronym?) is going to be taxed defending over 10 seats, including Mississippi and Texas, and Lautenberg'll be fine.

by thurst 2008-06-04 05:59AM | 0 recs
Good in NM

I think the seat looks like a solid pickup, but I think Pearce is gonna be easier to beat.

He's nuttier and more out of touch with the electorate than Wilson.

by zonk 2008-06-03 07:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Good in NM

I think Udall beats either... Wilson's seat is the easier pick up if she's out of it...

by PantsB 2008-06-03 07:30PM | 0 recs
I don't know NM

Is this true?  I thought Wilson had been pretty far out of touch too.

by monkeyga 2008-06-03 07:37PM | 0 recs
Re: I don't know NM

I thought otherwise, but it's hard to tell these days.

paraphrasing Homer Simpson... "kids, kids, you're BOTH out of touch!"

by zonk 2008-06-03 07:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Primary Night: Lautenberg Wins, Pearce Leads N

Thank goodness for Pearce. I was afraid that campaigning for Senate would take Wilson away from her nipple-watching duties. Remember, our children could see those things.

by Johnny Gentle Famous Crooner 2008-06-03 07:35PM | 0 recs
My letter to lautenberg

Crossposted from Blue Jersey
http://www.bluejersey.net/showDiary.do?d iaryId=8041

I couldn't be much more pissed off than I am right now. I suppose this is to be expected from the party that brought you the superdelegate. I swear, the left hand doesn't know, or even seem to care, what the right hand is doing.

So, I made my angry phone calls, and then I wrote the following email:

Mr. Lautenberg -

I am a long-time supporter and admirer of yours, but your involvement in my local politics has crossed the line. After spending weeks campaigning for the Real Bergen Democrats and including your name on EVERY piece of campaign literature I produced, I came home from the polls today and found a door hanger, paid for by you, urging me to vote for Column 4.

Frank, pick up a copy of Sunday's Bergen Record. Read the lead story (top of A-1). Then read the story at the bottom of L-1. These are the people who supported a lawsuit to overturn New Jersey's pay-to-play laws. These are the people who you are urging me to vote for? Get serious.

Just because someone calls themselves a Democrat doesn't make them good.

In the past I have judged you by your deeds. Today I am judging you by the company you keep.

I don't know what you can do to make this right. An apology to me and to my co-workers would be a start.

P.S. the woman in your Newark office listened nicely as I told her this.
The "gentleman" in your campaign headquarters hung up on me. Very classy.

by NJ Liberal 2008-06-03 07:41PM | 0 recs
New Laws?

Was this the new set of laws they passed a few years ago?  I grew up in NJ, but haven't paid much attention.   I have an Aunt who worked for Ocean County Freeholders and would always talk about how corrupt they all were.

by monkeyga 2008-06-03 07:48PM | 0 recs
Re: New Laws?

all of nj is corrupt, it is par for the course.

by doberman pinche 2008-06-03 08:01PM | 0 recs