Barack Obama Speech Thread

Barack Obama has taken the stage to presumably declare victory for the Democratic nomination.

Update [2008-6-3 22:15:50 by Todd Beeton]:"After 54 hard-fought contests, this primary has finally come to an end."

"Because you chose to listen not to your doubts or your fears but to your greatest hopes and highest aspirations."

"...I will be the Democratic nominee for the President of the United States of America."

Who can not be moved at this moment?

Update [2008-6-3 22:21:18 by Todd Beeton]:He's praising Hillary Clinton and the crowd is cheering. That's a nice development (the cheering I mean.) "I can tell you that what gets Hillary Clinton up in the morning..an unyielding desirte to fight for ordinary Americans no matter how hard the fight may be. And when we finally achieve universal healthcare, she will be central to that victory...I am a better candidate for having had the honor to compete with Hillary Rodham Clinton." A great tribute.

Update [2008-6-3 22:27:26 by Todd Beeton]:OK, Barack Obama just delivered perhaps the best line against John McCain all year: "I honor John McCain's service to this country...even if he refuses to honor mine." It. Is. On.

Update [2008-6-3 22:32:27 by Todd Beeton]:Umm, does anyone really think right now that John McCain has a freakin chance?

Update [2008-6-3 22:42:12 by Todd Beeton]:"America, our time is now. The journey will be difficult, the road will be long. I face this challenge with humility...with limitless faith in the capacity of the American poeple..." This is the best speech I have ever seen him give. And it was a speech that was a commitment to progressive policy. I've never seen him be so fearlessly liberal with his rhetoric. That was an incredible speech, very moving. I hope we can all get behind our nominee and the next president of the United States.

Tags: Barack Obama (all tags)

Comments

That's a big crowd.

A really big crowd.

by TCQuad 2008-06-03 06:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Yeah, and its funny that to equal it, McCain has to bring GOPers from all 50 states.

by yitbos96bb 2008-06-03 06:33PM | 0 recs
McCain can pull those #'s?

Maybe with a Laffer-endorsed, pays-for-itself inverse-fundraiser where he pays people $2000 to sit down in front of a plate of overcooked chicken while he rambles on about 9/11, the line item veto, and Metamucil.

by notxjack 2008-06-03 06:46PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain can pull those #'s?

I have to think that will all the Delegates, Party Big wigs, Bloggers, press, and family that the GOP convention gets that same number...  If not, BOY that would be embarassing.

by yitbos96bb 2008-06-03 06:49PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain can pull those #'s?

Yeah, he's an amazingly clever tactician.  Now if we could just get Hillary to work with him as a debate coach we would have the best of both worlds.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-06-03 06:51PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain can pull those #'s?

Or Edwards.

by yitbos96bb 2008-06-03 07:03PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain can pull those #'s?

Good point.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-06-03 07:09PM | 0 recs
God I miss JRE.

Looking forward to seeing him as A.G.

by notxjack 2008-06-04 08:42AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain can pull those #'s?

17k inside plus 15k outside?

I've never been to one of these things, do you usually have that many people there? It seems like a heck of a lot of people at any time.

by TCQuad 2008-06-03 06:51PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain can pull those #'s?

I went to a rally with around 20k, and it was an endless sea of humanity as far as the eye could see.

So yeah.  That's a lot of people.

by BishopRook 2008-06-03 06:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

This crowd, tonight, may be one of the most expert pieces of political stagecraft of this truly remarkable cycle. While we've been whinging about Clinton versus Obama, they've been thinking about the Summer... and a summer's worth of Convention B-Roll.

Think of that week of GOP convention coverage in the Twin Cities. What will the 24-hour nets have to show? They will have footage of Obama speaking on the very same floor filling the very same seats that McCain will be addressing on final night of that event -- so they will show those clips over and over again -- full Obama chairs with full Obama quotes and loud crowds cheering -- while empty seats are being set up and balloons are filled and O'Reilly and Hannity blather on and on and on...

Brilliant!

by Lettuce 2008-06-03 06:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

You know while I was waiting in line for 2 hours in a line that snaked for 20 through St. Paul, I was thinking the same thing.  He going on their turf.  Awesome!!!  This has been a brillantly ran campaign.  Obama is going to be a great President!!!

Someone mentioned the crown tonight above.  The Xcel Center holds 18,000+ for hockey and the workers said it holds around 25,000 for this event.  The place was full and I heard they turned a few people away.  It was a great night and totally worth the wait.

by chewie5656 2008-06-03 08:03PM | 0 recs
Should be a good contrast

with McCain's speech. Need to remember to thank McCain for providing his dull monotone on this great night.

by Lost Thought 2008-06-03 06:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Obama won I'm so ashamed at what Hillary did.

by Hillarywillwin 2008-06-03 06:13PM | 0 recs
what'd she do?

She do something tonight?  or are you talking in the past?

by DawnG 2008-06-03 06:17PM | 0 recs
Re: what'd she do?

Her non-concession speech was classless.

by Firewall 2008-06-03 06:18PM | 0 recs
Classless?

By that I assume you mean that she didn't grovel on her hands and knees and praise and worship Obama.

You've got to be kidding.  Just because Obama has millions of believers doesn't mean Hillary is chopped liver.  The media has discounted for months, yet she just won two elections in two days.  That says a lot.

by gooderservice 2008-06-03 06:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Classless?

There's a huge difference between "I ran a great campaign, but it appears that Barack Obama has secured enough delegates" and "I ran a great campaign".

by TCQuad 2008-06-03 06:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Classless?

She gave an Obama-vs-Clinton speech. That contest is over - such a speech serves only to increase the bitterness we have right now.

by really not a troll 2008-06-03 06:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Classless?

Enough.  Smell the coffee.  She did not do herself proud. She could have done much better. Obama's speech (whether those emotionally attached to Clinton want to see the truth or not), proved why he is the better candidate and WILL WIN in Nov.

I thought Obama/Clinton would be a good team.  Now, she lost me as any kind of supporter.  She came across as the smaller, less classy opponent.  If she  doesn't concede by Thursday, I'm joining a whole host of folks that emailed me about switching from the Dem party to Independent and naming Clinton as the reason.  WE'll all vote for Obama, but as independents-- not as Dems.

Way to go Hillary!  You did the party proud!

by citizensane 2008-06-03 06:49PM | 0 recs
don't inject assumptions.

One can have the grace to admit their opponant has won in a hard fought contest without "groveling".

It's not an either/or situation.

But, the question is (and I didn't see Clinton's speech so I can't comment) was she graceful or was she obstinant?

by DawnG 2008-06-03 06:57PM | 0 recs
She talked about

"the best nominee."

She talked about "the popular vote."

You be the judge.

by Rorgg 2008-06-03 07:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Classless?

It was time to start the healing.  She even had his speech ahead of time (we all did -- it was leaked).  His speech was extraordinarily complimentary of Clinton and her efforts.  Her speech refused to acknowledge that by the time she started speaking, Obama had the delegates he needed to win.

Unfortunately, she continues to think this is all about her.  The best politicians recognize political reality and plan how to ensure they get the best possible result out of whatever the reality is.  She seems to continue to think she's in a contest with Obama.  Her best bet is to swivel and work like hell to get him elected.  She is so far out on a limb now that if he loses, some will always blame her for it.  And that will NOT be to her political benefit in the Senate or in a future campaign.

by Headlight 2008-06-03 07:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Classless?

But it does give one hope--that maybe she has damaged him enough that he will lose. Already the RNC is using her comments about Obama not being ready to be commander in chief against him. It gives one hope.

by doyenne49 2008-06-03 07:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Classless?

go join redstate...

by IowaMike 2008-06-03 08:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Classless?

Comments like this will make the victory even sweeter.  Go take a look at McCan'ts Tuesday night speech -- that's what give me more than a hope that Obama's going to be making history.  Now go back under your bridge, Troll. . .

by Headlight 2008-06-06 07:05PM | 0 recs
Re: what'd she do?

Let it go.

Maybe its just too hard for her to say any more right now.

Maybe she just wants another day or two to get her bearings.

She's fought hard and long.  I didn't agree with most of what she did, but its over now and we need to be gracious in victory.

by ronik 2008-06-03 06:50PM | 0 recs
Re: what'd she do?

She's a professional. Surely she knew what was coming. I would imagine it's hard, and I don't welcome her pain right now -- but if she she imagines she has the qualifications to run the country, she must have the qualifications to run a campaign, and that requires the class to concede that campaign when it is done.

It is done.

She should have been big and gracious.

She was neigher. And that was sad to witness from a woman worthy of better.

by Lettuce 2008-06-03 06:54PM | 0 recs
Re: what'd she do?

CNN is slamming that notion.... that it's "hard for her'... it was supposed to be "her night"... no, it's not... He won.  She lost.  It wasn't her night.  It was his.  She should have showed some class...

by LordMike 2008-06-03 07:04PM | 0 recs
Huh??? Did you watch Hillary?

Hillary's speech was great.  To be honest, after the first few minutes, I thought Obama looked like he was reading his standard stump speech.  Sounded like a sermon.  His head was whipping back and forth between the teleprompters, rather distracting.  The people behind him are all going to wake up with stiff necks tomorrow since they kept looking at the ceiling rather than at him.  That too was rather distracting.

by SueBee 2008-06-03 07:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Huh??? Did you watch Hillary?

Speaking as a Gore, then Edwards supporter who's never supported either Obama or Clinton, I thought his speech was terrific and extremely effective.  I think you're letting your support for Clinton blind you to Obama's obvious advantage in the charisma/rhetorical ability categories.  It may not be enough by November, but it was pretty damned good tonight.

by geordie 2008-06-03 07:28PM | 0 recs
Re: what'd she do?

Way to spoil the mood.

by Covin 2008-06-03 09:27PM | 0 recs
Soon Obama, not quite yet (officially)

give Clinton her two days if she needs them. If shes not out by Friday, then we got a problem

by rigsoHC 2008-06-03 06:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Soon Obama, not quite yet (officially)

He had to declare. The audience, the attention, crossing the actual threshold, he had no choice.

Unprodded, his audience did cheer her louder than her audience applauded him.

by TCQuad 2008-06-03 06:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Soon Obama, not quite yet (officially)

I think that's partially a function of crowd size, partially a function of the fact that it's a lot easier to be gracious in victory.

by really not a troll 2008-06-03 06:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Soon Obama, not quite yet (officially)

Yeah I give him credit for not reacting to her speech.

I read the transcript for this on KOS.  It's unbelievable... may be better than the 2004 Convention Speech and the Race speech he gave after Wright.  The words made me tear up.

by yitbos96bb 2008-06-03 06:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Soon Obama, not quite yet (officially)

I was crying and laughing and shrieking and coming and finally I passed out with bliss and savage joy.

by doyenne49 2008-06-03 07:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Soon Obama, not quite yet (officially)

Wow!

I wish I'd watched the speech with you!

by haremoor 2008-06-03 08:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Soon Obama, not quite yet (officially)

"I'll have what she's having." What movie?

by IowaMike 2008-06-03 08:35PM | 0 recs
When Harry Met Sally.

It was indeed a great speech.  I watched it on CNN (it's the only cable news my college gets, sadly), and as the speech went on, my friends--who disdain politics and laugh at me for getting involved--slowly migrated over and parked themselves on the couch to watch.  By the end, they were as engrossed as I was!

by Elsinora 2008-06-03 10:22PM | 0 recs
Victory...

He is making it a victory speech!

by igottheblues 2008-06-03 06:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Victory...

Which is consistent with reality.

by TCQuad 2008-06-03 06:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

That's a fired up crowd!

by Lawyerish 2008-06-03 06:15PM | 0 recs
and ready to go

by igottheblues 2008-06-03 06:16PM | 0 recs
Re: and ready to go

Been to a rally have you?

by minnesotaryan 2008-06-03 06:25PM | 0 recs
Re: and ready to go

Sadly, no.  But I imagine the energy is palpable.

by igottheblues 2008-06-03 06:27PM | 0 recs
Re: and ready to go

Trust me.  It is.

by BishopRook 2008-06-03 06:31PM | 0 recs
There, he declared he's the nominee.

He certainly sounds presidential.

by sricki 2008-06-03 06:16PM | 0 recs
Listen to his audience cheering her.

That's class there.

No boos. No BS. No "Denver". Just support as Democrats.

by Firewall 2008-06-03 06:17PM | 0 recs
In all fairness

It's easier to be forgiving when you're winning. Your self-defensive fog-of-war can lift sooner.

by Lost Thought 2008-06-03 06:20PM | 0 recs
Re: In all fairness

Jinx.

by BishopRook 2008-06-03 06:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Listen to his audience cheering her.

To be fair, it's easier to be a gracious winner than a gracious loser.

by BishopRook 2008-06-03 06:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Look how gracious he is being to Hillary.

Shame it couldn't work the other way around.

by Massadonious 2008-06-03 06:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Did you see the props he gave her for universal healthcare?

by xodus1914 2008-06-03 06:22PM | 0 recs
Obama not in a Basement

Notice the Obama people aren't in a Bubble like Hillary Clinton audience was. Apparently the basement had no way for them to know Obama won. They isolated themselves in a basement cut off from the world.

by Hillarywillwin 2008-06-03 06:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Lol, Obama didn't get the memo that if your opponent doesn't concede, you aren't allowed to call it a victory.

Of course, I don't think Ron Paul has conceded to McCain officially either...

by KyleJRM 2008-06-03 06:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

At the end of a football game, it doesn't really matter if the losing team "concedes."

The points are the points.

The delegates are the delegates.

And it's GAME OVER, man!

by erzeszut 2008-06-03 06:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

It doesn't really matter.  As long as the media declare the victory, its over.

And for the record, We are STILL waiting for Alan Keyes to concede the 2004 Senate Election.

by yitbos96bb 2008-06-03 06:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

The Republican Party of Illinois conceded the race by nominating him after Ditka turned it down.

by KyleJRM 2008-06-03 06:31PM | 0 recs

LOL...

Shows just how bad Oberweis was... The guy is the runner up in the Primary AND THE GOP PICKS A CARPET BAGGING LOSER LIKE KEYES.  Amazing.

by yitbos96bb 2008-06-03 06:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

The best part is that Oberweis just keeps running, thinking people want to vote for him or something.

They don't.  The Republicans in Illinois don't even want to vote for him.

by KyleJRM 2008-06-03 06:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

It will be nice to see Foster kick his ass again in November.

by yitbos96bb 2008-06-03 06:41PM | 0 recs
Next Year's SuperBowl

will end anywhere between the final buzzer and whenever the losing team concedes.  Therefore no bets will be paid until that happens.

by Eman 2008-06-03 09:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Thank you Minnesota.  Cheered when he mentioned Hillary.  So proud of ya.

by minnesotaryan 2008-06-03 06:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Yes!  Go Obama. Being real honest about Hillary and what she believes in, which is of course what he believes in, and that's close enough to what I believe in...

...so I'm very happy.

by minnesotaryan 2008-06-03 06:20PM | 0 recs

cheering for hillary

by Monolithic 2008-06-03 06:18PM | 0 recs
Because Obama spporters are Democrats...

...who love their country.

by Hesiod Theogeny 2008-06-03 06:20PM | 0 recs
And by implication,

her supporters are not?

Just asking for clarification.

by aggieric 2008-06-03 06:35PM | 0 recs
They certainly love Denver, at least. n/t

by notxjack 2008-06-03 06:50PM | 0 recs
Maybe they're all Rockies fans?

by TCQuad 2008-06-03 06:55PM | 0 recs
We Obama supporters are Democrats

Who love our country every bit as much as Hillary supporters love our country.  And we all hate the rethugs.  It will be GREAT to win together in November.  Go DEMOCRATS!

by susanWAstate 2008-06-03 07:12PM | 0 recs
The ones hanging out with Larry Sinclair...

...and getting his autograph at the PBC, you mean?

by Hesiod Theogeny 2008-06-03 08:27PM | 0 recs

I'm in tears here...

by ipsos 2008-06-03 06:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Me too. I cried so hard I ruptured my spleen. It's like taking a direct hit of ecstasy to the sternum.

by doyenne49 2008-06-03 07:24PM | 0 recs
Me too, we are so screwed

As much as I hate to say it, Obama won't get us back into the White House.  Hillary might have.  he won't.  :(

by SueBee 2008-06-03 07:59PM | 0 recs

Who, indeed?

by Shaun Appleby 2008-06-03 06:19PM | 0 recs
Obama's showing class and grace,,,,

...in his praise for Hillary. The opposite of her self-absorbed, speech.

by Hesiod Theogeny 2008-06-03 06:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Very classy shout-out to Clinton.  Supporters are into it as well.

by BishopRook 2008-06-03 06:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

He's being very complimentary of Clinton right now. Wow. Obama/Clinton?

by politicalfan 2008-06-03 06:19PM | 0 recs

i hope not

he's just trying to reach out to her voters i think

by Monolithic 2008-06-03 06:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Yes, I hope he's smart enough to listen to YOU on this score.

by doyenne49 2008-06-03 07:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I take that back. I don't think he'll picj her for vp, but maybe a cabinet pos.

by politicalfan 2008-06-03 06:21PM | 0 recs
Secretary of Health & Human Services?

That would fit with the mention about Clinton's roll with healthcare.  The question is if she would accept.  Obama has mentioned admiration of Lincoln and how he reached out and made his oponents members of his cabinet.  That also bodes well for Edwards as AG, which I think would be fantastic.

by protothad 2008-06-03 06:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Secretary of Health & Human Services?

Edwards isn't exactly a political enemy any longer. :P  But he'd make a terrific Attorney General.

by BishopRook 2008-06-03 07:36PM | 0 recs
Why would she want that?

Being a Senator is better than being in the cabinet.  No one cares about who is running Ded or HHS.  No one even knows who they are.

by SueBee 2008-06-03 07:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Why would she want that?

Yep - I want her as either Majority Leader or Chair of Senate Finance (which has jurisdiction over Medicare and probably any real health care reform legislation.)

by geordie 2008-06-03 07:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Either that or "I don't hate her, I admire her, I just think she'd be better over there."

by TCQuad 2008-06-03 06:21PM | 0 recs
Olive branch is out...

Please accept it Hillary, we do need you in the Senate to get UHC passed.  We need you to fight THERE, not in Denver.

by igottheblues 2008-06-03 06:20PM | 0 recs
so far

he's much more gracious and conciliatory than she has been.
by southernman 2008-06-03 06:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

See, this is what you do.  He's gracious, classy, respectful.

Obama is about the we.  HRC is about the I.

by PantsB 2008-06-03 06:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

On CNN, there was a great comment that this was an opportunity for Hillary to show humility and the ability to play second fiddle to Obama.  This is a NECESSARY quality in a VP.  She did not show it - she used her speech not to share the spotlight, but to occupy it herself.  CNN's pushing that she shot herself in the foot, giving a speech like this right now, if she truly wants the VP position.

by Matt Smith 2008-06-03 08:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Who can not be moved at this moment?

Hillary. And maybe Alegre.

But that audience response for Hillary is quite impressive.

by TCQuad 2008-06-03 06:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Where is Alegre tonight?  Haven't seen the daily Hate diary.

by yitbos96bb 2008-06-03 06:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

She's in the HRC's NY bunker, I'd imagine.

by notxjack 2008-06-03 06:52PM | 0 recs
Compare Obama on Hillary vs. Hillary on Obama

I don't even think I need to comment.  He is still graciously singing her praises as I type this.  I'm not going to say the less charitable things I'm thinking about her comments.

by quixote27 2008-06-03 06:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Compare Obama on Hillary vs. Hillary on Obama
He is a much more gracious human being than I.
And I am very glad that he is.
by Ida B 2008-06-03 06:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Compare Obama on Hillary vs. Hillary on Obama

Seriously, I won't deny that there is obviously SOME political calculation in being nice - but it was still very gracious.  I don't understand how she thinks threatening him is a good way to get the VP?  Just very very odd...

by quixote27 2008-06-03 06:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Compare Obama on Hillary vs. Hillary on Obama

Word.

by Oly 2008-06-03 06:34PM | 0 recs

Uplifting.

by nzubechukwu 2008-06-03 06:20PM | 0 recs
Uplifting

Yeah, he always sounds like a good preacher.

by SueBee 2008-06-03 07:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

what a effing class act.

how could you hate that?

by alyssa chaos 2008-06-03 06:21PM | 0 recs
Obama is so impressive, no way he doesnt

win G.E, this vs boring old mccain

by rigsoHC 2008-06-03 06:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama is so impressive, no way he doesnt

Speeches are great, but he'll have to do more.

He should destroy McCain in debates, but we'll have to see how it all shakes down. The Clinton factor is the biggest question mark right now.

by TCQuad 2008-06-03 06:26PM | 0 recs
i agree with that, she holds

some power right now, i think she could literally cost him the election if she says 4 little words to her supporters "dont vote for Obama"  Of course, if she wanted a future she would never, but just having that power must have a lot of thoughts racing through Clintons head

by rigsoHC 2008-06-03 06:30PM | 0 recs
McCain will wish he didn't schedule

a televised speech tonight. Back to back with Obama he got crushed. They won't let that happen again, guaranteed.

by 79blondini 2008-06-03 06:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Who can not be moved at this moment?"

Me.  I feel repulsed.  I had no doubts and I had no fears.  Well, I am afraid of a few things, but not what Obama refers to.

The more I hear him talk, the more sick-in-the-stomach feeling I get.  It just happens.

by gooderservice 2008-06-03 06:22PM | 0 recs
Your guy's toast in November.

I suggest you drown your sorrows at Free Republic.

by Firewall 2008-06-03 06:24PM | 0 recs

A McBlogger?

by igottheblues 2008-06-03 06:25PM | 0 recs
Yep. First comment less than an hour ago.

by 79blondini 2008-06-03 06:33PM | 0 recs
Does he get...

a gold star? Or a coupon?  I forget what they get these days.

by igottheblues 2008-06-03 06:36PM | 0 recs
Right now they get to ponder

their disappointment in November

by 79blondini 2008-06-03 06:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Does he get...

They get a Happy Meal.

That's why he's sick to his stomach.

by JoeW 2008-06-03 07:02PM | 0 recs
Get lost, freeper.

You're looking at your next president on that TV. Deal with it.

by sricki 2008-06-03 06:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

No, isn't it time for you to provider some gooderservice to McCain's colostomy bag?

by fogiv 2008-06-03 06:30PM | 0 recs
McCain doesn't even have an office in AZ

his home state.

So you may have to do more than pretend to be a Disappointed Dem to get him elected.

Nice Knowing You!

by chrisblask 2008-06-03 07:26PM | 0 recs
Of course I won't attribut you any thoughts...

But why does it almost feel like I can tell some of those things you are afraid of?

Then again... Of course I really can't.

Peace.

by gustavoNYC 2008-06-03 07:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Boos!  Boos reserved for the Republican convention.

by BishopRook 2008-06-03 06:22PM | 0 recs
I think the Republicans picked the wrong city

but then, what city wouldn't be hostile to them these days?

by Lost Thought 2008-06-03 06:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Passion and desire. He's trying to turn the chapter.  The ONLY ? left is AMERICA, ( MI,VA, OH, FL, and other swing states) going to allow him to try to begin a new tomorrow?

by nzubechukwu 2008-06-03 06:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

What a difference between him and her. What a difference. Guy's a class act and America got the right President today thank god!

by Graham1979 2008-06-03 06:23PM | 0 recs

"I respect John McCain's accomplishments, even if he denies mine." LOL

by politicalfan 2008-06-03 06:23PM | 0 recs
Haha, classic quote..

"...and I respect his many accomplishments...even if he chooses to deny mine."

Ace.

by Firewall 2008-06-03 06:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

And he spends most of his speech hitting McCain.
The way it should be!
Man, I feel like going outside and doing something for my country!

I feel like how conservatives must have felt about Reagan!

by xodus1914 2008-06-03 06:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I'm impressed so far. Obama is much more gracious when he doesn't feel threatened. His extended covering of Hillary Clinton's issues was classy, and he is taking McCain on respectfully. Both tacks are smart.

by souvarine 2008-06-03 06:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread
Agreed. I think he will feel very comfortable going after a Republican as opposed to a fellow Democrat.
All us Democrats have to do is keep the 527s off of him, and he will crush Grampy McSame!
by xodus1914 2008-06-03 06:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

That was an awesome line alright!

Way to go Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee Barack Obama.

by Blue Neponset 2008-06-03 06:28PM | 0 recs
What did he mean?

What service?  Was Obama in the service?  Or did he mean his time in the Senate?  I didn't get that.

by SueBee 2008-06-03 08:02PM | 0 recs
Re: What did he mean?

The point being that military service is not the only way to serve your country.  Organizing communities is a service to the country.  Volunteering is service to the country.  Getting involved in politics to better your community, state, or the nation as a whole is service to your country.  There are a lot of ways to serve your country, and it's important to encourage and honor all forms of service.

by fangthang 2008-06-04 01:09AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

B. Hussein is knocking it out of the park tonight.

by Blue Neponset 2008-06-03 06:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Man.  'Americans first!'  He just tore the cover off the ball.  And it didn't take him long to start speaking for 'this party' in unequivocal terms, did it?  Good for him.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-06-03 06:35PM | 0 recs
That's Democratic Presumtive Nominee

Obama to you please.

Try to show class like our Democratic Candidate.

by IowaMike 2008-06-03 08:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Nice rebuttal to McSain's Iraq proposal.

by nzubechukwu 2008-06-03 06:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Holy fukin' barnburner!  What a moment.

by fogiv 2008-06-03 06:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

He just made 17 long months bearable and stated very clearly that this is not about him or Hillary Clinton (smart and classy) but about America. I'm proud to be a Clinton supporter. I don't care what anyone says, her speech was brilliant and what was needed. I honestly have to say that I'm now even prouder to be an Obama supporter. His humility was stunning. His passion was obvious. What an incredible candidate we have chosen. I don't think he will have a very hard time, but the combination of hearing Hillary then Barrack just kicked my ass into working my ass off for Obama to be certain he gets elected.

by Jeter 2008-06-03 06:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Jeter, you're a hell of a democrat (and a damn fine shortstop too)!

by fogiv 2008-06-03 06:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Yeah I was worried a little about when I would hit my first home run of the season. But not anymore.

by Jeter 2008-06-03 10:49PM | 0 recs

Go, Jeter!!!

(However much it pains me to say that as a Mets fan.)

by JoeW 2008-06-03 07:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Is it, like, really painful? Cause I'm a Yankees and a Mets fan, and I'm just saying that the Mets have me a little worried right now.

by Jeter 2008-06-03 10:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Angry?

What is with his attitude? Does he always look so angry when he speachifies? I thought he was a great public speaker.

John McCain and Hillary Clinton were smiling throughout their deliveries. Obama just looks and sounds angry. For someone who just claims he won the nomination he should be happy, no?

by Caliman 2008-06-03 06:32PM | 0 recs
Go back to Free Republic...

...and peddle your angry black man shit somewhere else.

by Firewall 2008-06-03 06:34PM | 0 recs
Re:Wrong attitude, dude.

Seriosly, is this his style? Can he not act and sound happy? Americans want celebratory speeches occasionally. This was Obama's time to give one. He blew it.

And where was the humility at the honor granted him? McCain showed humility. Clinton showed humility. Where was Obama's? Seriously.

by Caliman 2008-06-03 06:44PM | 0 recs
McCain troll here for the autoban.

by Firewall 2008-06-03 06:47PM | 0 recs
Re:Wrong attitude, dude.

Clean-up crew!

Mess in Aisle Seven.

by JoeW 2008-06-03 07:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Angry?

For reference, what John McCain was wearing was not a "smile."  It actually fluctuated between what is called a "grimace" and a "shit-eating grin."

by BishopRook 2008-06-03 06:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Angry?

That is so true.  Thanks for expressing it better than I could.  He was really creepy.  His weird smile was the cue for the audience to cheer as they had no idea otherwise...

by oliver cromwell 2008-06-03 07:23PM | 0 recs
He's a passionate speaker...

You, unfortunately, are a troll.

by Massadonious 2008-06-03 06:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Angry?

Because he knows what's waiting for him between now and November.

McCain is delusional and I hope that he underestimates Obams, because we all know what happens when people do that ;-) .

by xodus1914 2008-06-03 06:36PM | 0 recs
Anger???

Focused intensity

by 79blondini 2008-06-03 06:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Angry?

He is serious and that is the face he projected.  Serious about fixing the damage Bush and McCain and all their GOP cronies have done to this country.

by yitbos96bb 2008-06-03 06:47PM | 0 recs
That's not anger.

That's what we call FIRED UP and READY TO GO, baby.

by Mardarkin 2008-06-03 06:50PM | 0 recs
Make sure...

you report your findings at the McBlogger site.  You might get your cookie!

by igottheblues 2008-06-03 06:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Make sure...

...with ex-lax sprinkles and a prune juice chaser.

by fogiv 2008-06-03 06:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Make sure...

Don't forget the metamucil shake!

by igottheblues 2008-06-03 07:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Make sure...

Centrum Silver Baby!

by fogiv 2008-06-03 07:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Make sure...

they come in chocolate chip?

by igottheblues 2008-06-03 07:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Angry?

He wasn't dancing for your entertainment  you %^###!. He was being humble and strong and serious about doing what he needs to do for this country. Take your bs somewhere else.

by Jeter 2008-06-03 06:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Angry?

Sounds like you have moved on to anger....

by IowaMike 2008-06-03 08:45PM | 0 recs
Man St. Paul is going crazy right now

Barack is knocking this speech out of the park...

Amazing, the crowd is so fired up, I can't imagine what it is like in the X.

by Student Guy 2008-06-03 06:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Man St. Paul is going crazy right now

Hey, sg, YOU had the chance to go and passed it up. Will you remember your homework 20 years from now? ;-)

by ipsos 2008-06-03 06:46PM | 0 recs
I hope I will

Knowing what drugs to prescribe to people is important isn't it,  Obama will be back in the TC sometime before November, I promise to go to that no matter what I have to do.

by Student Guy 2008-06-03 06:59PM | 0 recs
Re: I hope I will

Yeah, yeah, be the responsible one tonight and make me feel guilty, why don't you?

OK if I do the celebratory drinking for both of us, then?

by ipsos 2008-06-03 07:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Obama has secured,vacum packed, welded,and super glued my vote and then sealed it with a kiss.

hjahaahaa

by alyssa chaos 2008-06-03 06:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

wow the crowd is gigantic

that "yes we can" was thunderous

by Monolithic 2008-06-03 06:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

It's kind of a dual-edged sword at the moment. The crowd is occasionally jumping on the punch line, so he ends up having to yell.

Meanwhile, John McCain just had to yell at his crowd too. They nodded off again.

by TCQuad 2008-06-03 06:35PM | 0 recs
Damn...

Brilliant, brilliant speech. I wonder whether McCain realizes how incredibly screwed he is.

by sricki 2008-06-03 06:33PM | 0 recs
Interesting

He passed on an easy Iraq dig on the "visits" issue and went straight through the economic laundry list.

Talking about this debate on the issues, I have this mental image of Obama standing in the middle of the ring saying "You want some, come get some!"

And, at the same time, he's trying to unite the country. This speech is really well done.

by TCQuad 2008-06-03 06:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I am so glad Obama won the ticket.

I hope that Hillary will agree to be VP.  Hillary is HAWT! and Obama is sexy cool.

by agpc 2008-06-03 06:34PM | 0 recs
That would definitely be a sexy ticket. n/t

by sricki 2008-06-03 06:36PM | 0 recs

Hmmmmmm

by Rationalisto 2008-06-03 06:50PM | 0 recs
This is

his best speech since IA. Even better than his speech on race and reconciliation. This is just fantastic!!
by southernman 2008-06-03 06:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Don't kid yourself...McCain is gonna be tough...

DOn't let enthusiastic crowds mislead you...I once attanded a massive Walter Mondale rally and came away convinced he would beat Reagan...

by SaveElmer 2008-06-03 06:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

"My Friends, this is not change we can believe in"

uncomfortable laugh

by heyhellowhatsnew 2008-06-03 06:37PM | 0 recs
You'd best get to work, then...

...presuming you'd rather see Barack Obama in office than John McCain. ;^)

by Firewall 2008-06-03 06:37PM | 0 recs
Re: You'd best get to work, then...

I will vote for him...and will get to the point where I can support him actively...too soon now...I believe we picked the wrong candidate as the nominee...

by SaveElmer 2008-06-03 06:39PM | 0 recs
Re: You'd best get to work, then...

Take your time, my friend. You will see how he does battle with McCain soon.

/salute

by heyhellowhatsnew 2008-06-03 06:41PM | 0 recs
Reagan was a great speaker

McCain is your sweet old uncle...

Want some more strained peas, Unc?

by chrisblask 2008-06-03 07:22PM | 0 recs

What. The. Hell.

Must McCain be thinking right now??

by Neef 2008-06-03 06:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

"That's not change we can beli--ohshitI'mtoast."

by Firewall 2008-06-03 06:37PM | 0 recs
He's thinking...

"Uh-oh. I just soiled my Depends... again!"

by sricki 2008-06-03 06:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread
He is on fire. President Obama. Nice. Inspiring. He is slaying John McCain. Class Act. Hillary laid her case out for her supporters. I think when she endorses him they are more likely to come along, at least those who are at all hesitant. I think both of them are absolutely brilliant. They both have the patience required to unify all Americans behind Obama/whomever. She had her part of the night. Now it is his.

Okay. He's winning the general election now. And he's doing it in the exact place where the RNC will have their convention. Americans first. He just won the GE as far as I'm concerned. Looks like I'm not the only one who feels this way. We have a new President people! Great work.

by Jeter 2008-06-03 06:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Dude, your confidence is a little premature.  I agree that he is worlds better than McCain but elections aren't won with speeches..they are won with votes.

by JustJennifer 2008-06-03 06:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

And votes are won with speeches like this one

by nibit25 2008-06-03 06:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Ugh, please let's not rest on our laurels and think it is a done deal.  Man, as a Clinton supporter this has been one of my biggest fears.  We have to WORK to beat McCain in the fall.  Don't doubt it for one second.

by JustJennifer 2008-06-03 06:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread
Which is exactly why she did not concede, because we want people to cool off and listen when she asks everyone to work for Obama. It will take a few days or more time for some people, and both he and she know this well. Give them a few days to plan a big unity fest. And we will all be working together for Obama. Hillary did a great job. She deserves respect and Obama gave her a lot of it and more.

But Obama won the primary and he had his first spectacular night running for President, and I'll make sure that I let Hillary know that we've decided we're going to do everything we can to get him elected - and we still support and respect her. Tonight, McCain laid bare his pathetic and deceitful pandering to Hillary supporters. Any one of them who heard him will not vote for McCain. If they heard Obama speak, I think they'll agree that we should let Hillary know we appreciate everything she has done and recognize the historic legacy she just added onto.

by Jeter 2008-06-03 07:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Well said.  Welcome aboard.  It just occurred to me that the Hillary supporters who come around to Obama are the best resource for teaching us all about unity.  Good for you, we need your help.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-06-03 07:13PM | 0 recs
Wow

Very well said!

by Neef 2008-06-03 07:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Jesus, can't we just give this guy the keys now?  McCain is a goner.

by fogiv 2008-06-03 06:37PM | 0 recs
I felt that way watching Forrest Gump

the first time.

sitting in a hotel room, wet faced (er, I had to wash some lint off), shouting at the TV "just give him the Oscar!"

by chrisblask 2008-06-03 07:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

If he doesn't win, America is racist.

by nzubechukwu 2008-06-03 06:38PM | 0 recs
McCain troll, go away.

Your posting history makes it clear you're here to troll.

by Firewall 2008-06-03 06:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Oh snap, that wasn't addressed to you.

by Firewall 2008-06-03 06:39PM | 0 recs
That comment does not get a passing grade

by kellogg 2008-06-03 06:56PM | 0 recs
Man, Student Guy..

You passed up this to do homework?

Shame on you. :P

by Massadonious 2008-06-03 06:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Man, Student Guy..

No kidding!

by TCQuad 2008-06-03 06:49PM | 0 recs

Our Next President of the United States

Barack Obama!

by PantsB 2008-06-03 06:38PM | 0 recs

Damn.

That's just...lint in my eye.

lint I tell ya!

by Neef 2008-06-03 06:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

It's really dusty in here!

by TCQuad 2008-06-03 06:40PM | 0 recs
If you want to know why

Barack Obama is the nominee of our party... you need look no further than this speech.

WOW.

by Tatan 2008-06-03 06:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread
At the end, he sounded like the President in "Independence Day", one of the best moments in Movie history.
"TODAY WE FOUGHT BACK"
by xodus1914 2008-06-03 06:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Um... Independence Day and Best Movie Moments belong NO WHERE in the same sentence together.

by yitbos96bb 2008-06-03 06:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

What do you mean?!  There were so many classics.  Like...  "Oh, you did not just shoot that green shit at me!"

by BishopRook 2008-06-03 06:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

This speech is on fire and giving me goose bumps

by desertlover 2008-06-03 06:39PM | 0 recs
Michelle looks gorgeous right now, by the way. n/t

by sricki 2008-06-03 06:40PM | 0 recs
Sexist!

No, seriously, that purple fit her sweetly. :^)

by Firewall 2008-06-03 06:44PM | 0 recs
Let's all get down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXcZz5n5H I0
by nogo postal 2008-06-03 06:41PM | 0 recs
Oh my that was fucking amazing
That was his best since New Hampshire.
And he nailed John McCain to Bush, Game Set Match...
by Student Guy 2008-06-03 06:41PM | 0 recs
He's gotten pretty damn good

at smiling while sticking the knife into McCain.

He makes it sound like he's doing McCain a favor, as if he's putting him out of his misery.

by zonk 2008-06-03 06:42PM | 0 recs
Holy crap what a speech

On the radio (where I heard it), it kept surprising me, and kept building, stage after stage, into one of the best speeches I've ever heard.

by kellogg 2008-06-03 06:43PM | 0 recs
that was fucking awesome

Nothing else needs to be said.

by highgrade 2008-06-03 06:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Crikey, what's he going to say at the convention?  Man, that was stunning, on message and smart, smart, smart.  Imagine the poor McCain staff watching that.  My heart goes out to them tonight...

by Shaun Appleby 2008-06-03 06:45PM | 0 recs

Screw them...

CNN Said 15,000 OUTSIDE the hall listening to the speech.  NOW THAT'S impressive.

by yitbos96bb 2008-06-03 06:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Has my drollery gotten so dry it has left the building...?  It has been a long campaign.  I revel in their discomfort.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-06-03 06:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

No i knew where you were going.  I just like saying Screw Them about McCain's staff.

by yitbos96bb 2008-06-03 06:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Hehe, he will simply take what McCain says and do his beautiful Jujitsu throwing it back in McCain's face. Damn I can't wait for the documentary on this campaign, I want to see all the inner workings.

by Lost Thought 2008-06-03 06:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Ho. ly. Shit.  That speech was incredible.

by recusancy 2008-06-03 06:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread
I almost, but not quite, felt sorry for McCain and his pathetic speech. The crowd was anemic, the room was tiny, McCain's delivery was robotic and flat, and they should fire whoever picked the green backdrop. Obama gave another impressive speech that simply blew McCain out of the water.
by zenful6219 2008-06-03 06:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

There will so not be a McCain White House...

by chrisblask 2008-06-03 06:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

By the way, it's nice to have you aboard, Todd.  You were always the best and brightest of the Hillary loyalists and have always been fair and insightful.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-06-03 06:47PM | 0 recs

I second that opinion.

by recusancy 2008-06-03 06:48PM | 0 recs
Re: He gave an excellent speech.

Said very gracious things about Clinton, complimented Pres. Clinton's "fiscal responsibility," which was nice--Obama's offhanded dissing of the Clinton presidency rankles some of us who have fond recollections of those 8 years.  He seemed presidential.

by half nelson 2008-06-03 06:48PM | 0 recs
"fearlessly liberal"

First of all...I loved it.

Todd, you mention that you don't remember Obama ever being this fearlessly liberal in his rhetoric.  I think he went back to some of the rhetoric from his 2004 DNC Speech.  "Job for the jobless, homes for homeless, etc."

by KickinIt 2008-06-03 06:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

There will be no political ammo left in the arsenal after this general election.

by nzubechukwu 2008-06-03 06:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Okay...  No more Angels and Airwaves at your rallies, Obama.  Please.  Please.  You can do much better.  Bring the Decemberists back.  Get Ben Kweller, he did a show for Kerry that I attended.

by BishopRook 2008-06-03 06:49PM | 0 recs
You only got Ben Kweller?

I was one of the 90,000 at Kerry's Madison, WI rally.  We got the GooGoo Dolls and Bruce Springstein.  (It's just too bad we didn't get a stronger candidate.)

Hopefully, when Obama comes to WI, he'll bring Bruce back with him!  I'm looking forward to it--if Kerry could draw 90,000, just imagine how many Obama could pull...

by Elsinora 2008-06-03 10:38PM | 0 recs
Re: You only got Ben Kweller?

Well, the rally I went to was fairly small and held at a university with mostly students attending.  So Ben Kweller fit the setting.

by BishopRook 2008-06-04 03:30AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Wow, he makes that look easy. It will soooo nice to have a president who can speak the English language again.  A president who I can watch without cringing at his every word. I still can't believe that he is actually the nominee for president.  I'm so happy for our country now.

by Gene In PA 2008-06-03 06:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Our country is still an imperialist hegemon, it is destroying the planet on a daily basis. Glad Obama makes you feel all warm inside.

by doyenne49 2008-06-03 07:26PM | 0 recs
Holy freakin'...

...shit!!  That was absolutely incredible....

by hootie4170 2008-06-03 06:49PM | 0 recs

Fucking hell....

can you imagine...

can you imagine 8 years of having someone who speaks like that?

by notedgeways 2008-06-03 06:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

He's got the republican pundits vibrating.

Never underestimate a motivate public.

-woof!

-chris

by chrisblask 2008-06-03 06:55PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I SO know why Michelle had his little Barack babies.

by lollydee 2008-06-03 06:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I just loved how they tapped knuckles, he and Michelle, right before he went on-stage. It's got to mean everything in the world to have someone behind you all the way like that.

by Firewall 2008-06-03 06:57PM | 0 recs

The hillaryis44 crowd took offense at that, and

jbstonesfan Says:

June 3rd, 2008 at 10:57 pm
Did you see the little "brother" handshake he and MO made as he was about to speak..truly revolting. Best cases 1) damaging stuff comes out and Hillary comes in or 2) she tacitly supports him and he loses. We then wait for 2012....

started planning to kill the party in Nov.

Here's the competition, folks.  This is what a troll smells like today.

by chrisblask 2008-06-03 07:12PM | 0 recs
Nice Speech

he will have a career in some church as a fiery orator some day like his spiritual advisers.

by Newport News Dem 2008-06-03 06:51PM | 0 recs
Lincoln-Douglas?

Is John McCain sure that he still wants to do that?

I think few people know that the Lincoln-Douglas debates were actually back-to-back stump speeches on the same stage.

by zonk 2008-06-03 06:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Lincoln-Douglas?

Not to mention, the format they used.  First person spoke for an hour, the other got 90 min to rebut. Then the frist speaker spoke for 30 min in rebuttal.  I would love to see McCain try that... without bathroom breaks, of course :^)

by igottheblues 2008-06-03 07:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Lincoln-Douglas?

Not to mention, the format they used.  First person spoke for an hour, the other got 90 min to rebut. Then the first speaker spoke for 30 min in rebuttal.  I would love to see McCain try that... without bathroom breaks, of course :^)

by igottheblues 2008-06-03 07:07PM | 0 recs
That's what I'm sayin'...

Umm, does anyone really think right now that John McCain has a freakin chance?

Seriously.

Sweet doddering grampa McCain, smiling at his own iterative catchphrase.  "That's not change you can believe in" <grin>

All the GOTV thrill of watching ice melt.

Gimme Obama versus that any day.  Jack the GOP, bring the noise.

by chrisblask 2008-06-03 06:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Nice Comments Todd.  I appreciated the chance to have read them.

And you are absolutely right...It. Is. On.

by mchughusa 2008-06-03 06:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Clinton and Obama just gave their best speeches

Despite the instant analysis ---- Clinton clearly wants to define the terms whereby she concedes and endorses

by kmwray 2008-06-03 06:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Obviously she wants to concede and endorse in front of a crowd who would be ready to hear that message.  The crowd she spoke to tonight wasn't.  I don't know why people don't get that and instead chose to continue with the bad mouthing.  Reacting before thinking..

by JustJennifer 2008-06-03 06:55PM | 0 recs
&quot;write me to tell me what I should do?&quot;

you gotta be effing kidding me.  remember when we were panning huckabee and his god math?  I wish we had him.

by ab03 2008-06-03 07:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Winning nominations and party conventiosn are nice, but really mean nothing. If you underestimate McCain and the GOP you are sadly mistaken. McCain still has enormous appeal to independents, white voters, older voters and those who seem him as an experience,honorable military veteran. This is gonna  be as close an election as any. And....we dont know what else might pop out of Obama's closet....

by adb67 2008-06-03 06:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Other than the part about his closet.. I agree.

by JustJennifer 2008-06-03 06:57PM | 0 recs
if we underestimate them we ARE mistaken

but if we poison every victory with fear, we're already defeated.

Whatever happens in the fall, McCain caught a thumpin tonight. It's a good night to be a Dem.

by Neef 2008-06-03 07:05PM | 0 recs
what else might pop out of Obama's closet

Hopefully it won't be bill clinton and another bimbo eruption.

by Freespeechzone 2008-06-03 07:08PM | 0 recs
He sounds good, like a preacher

We're fired up by what the preacher says on Sunday, and we've totally forgotten it by Tuesday.  I hate to say it, but that's what Obama sounds like to me, a fiery preacher, complete with the yelling.  He's got to have more than that to win.

by SueBee 2008-06-03 08:09PM | 0 recs
&quot;to presumably declare victory&quot;

Todd's final shallow attack?

Hopefully he'll make up it for by writing a diary about a great speech at one of the high moments in American history.

by Freespeechzone 2008-06-03 06:55PM | 0 recs
Re: &quot;to presumably declare victory&quot;

Reading WAY TOO MUCH into that comment man.

by yitbos96bb 2008-06-03 07:01PM | 0 recs
Re: &quot;to presumably declare victory&quot;

I dunno about you, but it seems to me Todd's been pretty spot-on and objective through this whole process.

by BishopRook 2008-06-03 07:05PM | 0 recs
Re: &quot;to presumably declare victory&quot;

He's been a hack for Hillary who has engaged in blatant deception. As I said, let's hope tonight was the last time he'll make disparaging remarks about the Democratic nominee --  on this blog at least.

by Freespeechzone 2008-06-03 07:43PM | 0 recs
Re: &quot;to presumably declare victory&quot;

I think you might be mixing up the definitions of "presumably" and "presumptuously" ...?

I can't imagine any other reason why you'd see what Todd posted above as an attack.

by BishopRook 2008-06-03 07:58PM | 0 recs
He's been on the &quot;declare victory&quot; meme

...for weeks, knowing that it's like waving a red flag in front on Hillary's fans and stirring up bitterness.

But, as I said, hopefully it's the last dart. He now seems to be expecting Hillary to end her campaign in the next few days.

by Freespeechzone 2008-06-03 08:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

As a new poster here (but a long-time "lurker") can I just congratulate Senator Clinton on her hard-fought campaign.

I beg of Democrats to now unite.  Compared to McBush, either candidate would be a welcome breath of fresh air.  As an Obama supporter, I am open to an Obama/Clinton ticket.  Please . . . if you are a Hillary Clinton supporter, e-mail her to unite this party.  We would SO crush McWarmonger if we are together!

by batchick 2008-06-03 06:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Adb67 boo! The boogie man is guna get ya!!!! lol!!!

by nzubechukwu 2008-06-03 06:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Wow, more SD endorsements.  He had 52 Total SD votes (including the MI and FL half votes) today.  WOW.

New Obama endorsements:
MD Rep. John Sarbarnes . Obama at
NC Muriel Offerman
MT Margaret Campbell
AZ Rep. Gabrielle Giffords
CA Christine Pelosi
CA Rachel Binah switches from Clinton to Obama.
CA Rep. Sam Farr

• Added DNC Diane Glasser (FL)* for Obama
  • Switched Rep. Maxine Waters (CA) from Clinton to Obama
  • Added DNC John Daniello (DE) for Obama
-Added DNC Harriet Smith-Windsor (DE) for Obama
  • Switched DNC Rhett Ruggerio (DE) from Clinton to Obama
  • Added Rep. Dennis Moore (KS) for Obama
-Added DNC Belkis (Bel) Leong-Hong (MN) for Obama.
-Added LA Rep. William Jefferson (LA) for Obama.
-Added WY DNC Cindy Nunley (WY) for Clinton.
-Added Rep. Bob Brady (PA) for Obama
-Added DNC Mike Tardiff (MI)* for Obama
-Added DNC Ray Buckley (NH) for Obama
-Added DNC Frank Dixon (OR) for Obama
-Added DNC Margaret Campbell (MT) for Obama
- Added DNC Muriel Offerman (NC) for Obama

by yitbos96bb 2008-06-03 07:00PM | 0 recs
Wow, I have to say...

...the contrast between that speech and McCain's was striking. We are so fortunate to have such strong candidates on our side of the aisle. Any republicans who are watching have to be shitting their pants.

Obama/Clinton 2008

by HRC 2009 2008-06-03 07:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Wow, I have to say...

I would LOVE to be a fly on the RNC's wall right now...

by Neef 2008-06-03 07:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Look, here are the facts:

In 2004, 59m people voted for John Kerry.
In 2004, 62m people voted for George Bush.

So far in the Dem primary approx 36-37m people have voted.

Even if Obama gets every single Obama/Clinton vote from the primary he can still lose.

This isn't a done deal.  Don't get cocky.

by JustJennifer 2008-06-03 07:01PM | 0 recs

Here are the facts:

In the 2004 primary, 10 million people voted for John Kerry out of around 14 million total.

In the 2004 general election, 59 million people voted for Kerry.

In the 2008 general election, over 17 million people voted for Barack Obama out of around 35 million total.

I think the numbers are good, I dunno about you.

by BishopRook 2008-06-03 07:09PM | 0 recs

(2008 primary rather)

by BishopRook 2008-06-03 07:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

If this was the standard, no candidate who ever won the primaries can win a general election.

by nwodtuhs 2008-06-03 07:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I am just sayin'... he has some work to do.  He isn't going to be able to win with the coalition he has formed in the primary.  It's going to be hard work.  John McCain, as lame as he may be, will end up being a tough opponent.

by JustJennifer 2008-06-03 09:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Wow!  He proves why he is presidential material.  She proves.... ??? I was so disappointed in her response.  This was a long time coming--HIS victory.  I am sorry she lost.  But SHE DID LOSE.  She used Mark Penn--need I say more?  She needed to read the tea leaves and concede.

She has lost my support and I voted for her in the primary in CA. Sorry I did.

I don't think this is how she wants to go out of this campaign--a bitter, unaccepting, opponent?!  Party unity?  Yeah, right.

by citizensane 2008-06-03 07:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

honestly, she aint the conceding type. this might be the closest we get to a concession.

by alyssa chaos 2008-06-03 07:08PM | 0 recs
Gracious, magnanimous and VERY classy...

THAT is what CLASS looks like, folks.  He acknowledged that the race against McCain is NOT personal but ideological.  He honored his service and accomplishments while enlarging himself by rising above the typical partisan talking points.  I was so disappointed when his campaign felt it had to stoop to engage in the petty campaign bickering albeit I respect the challenges he faced - damned if he did/damned if he didn't.  This display of leadership is what I have come to expect from BO and I hope he finds a way to faces future challenges without having to retreat from it.  He really IS a better candidate because of this campaign.

I really wished the Clinton campaign had not ended with the "Denver" chants going unabated, but on a higher note, I, for the first time in a while, I again felt the affinity for Sen. Clinton that I did before my Primary.  For this, I am grateful.  I really wanted to like her again and the ending of this primary has gone a long way to achieving that for me.

Kudos to MI supporters for showing Clinton the love... you showed the class of your candidate and represented him well.  I look forward to putting a Dem in office.

by ILean Left 2008-06-03 07:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Gracious, magnanimous and VERY classy...

Yes, it was very classy how he basically said we would continue to be the ass-kickers of the world.

by doyenne49 2008-06-03 07:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Gracious, magnanimous and VERY classy...

Really? You got that from this? Really?

It's not change when he offers four more years of Bush economic policies that have failed to create well-paying jobs, or insure our workers, or help Americans afford the skyrocketing cost of college -- policies that have lowered the real incomes of the average American family, widened the gap between Wall Street and Main Street, and left our children with a mountain of debt.

And it's not change when he promises to continue a policy in Iraq that asks everything of our brave men and women in uniform and nothing of Iraqi politicians -- a policy where all we look for are reasons to stay in Iraq, while we spend billions of dollars a month on a war that isn't making the American people any safer.

So I'll say this -- there are many words to describe John McCain's attempt to pass off his embrace of George Bush's policies as bipartisan and new. But change is not one of them.

Change is a foreign policy that doesn't begin and end with a war that should've never been authorized and never been waged. I won't stand here and pretend that there are many good options left in Iraq, but what's not an option is leaving our troops in that country for the next hundred years -- especially at a time when our military is overstretched, our nation is isolated, and nearly every other threat to America is being ignored.

We must be as careful getting out of Iraq as we were careless getting in - but start leaving we must. It's time for Iraqis to take responsibility for their future. It's time to rebuild our military and give our veterans the care they need and the benefits they deserve when they come home. It's time to refocus our efforts on al Qaeda's leadership and Afghanistan, and rally the world against the common threats of the 21st century -- terrorism and nuclear weapons; climate change and poverty; genocide and disease. That's what change is.

Change is realizing that meeting today's threats requires not just our firepower, but the power of our diplomacy -- tough, direct diplomacy where the President of the United States isn't afraid to let any petty dictator know where America stands and what we stand for. We must once again have the courage and conviction to lead the free world. That is the legacy of Roosevelt, and Truman, and Kennedy. That's what the American people want. That's what change is.

Change is building an economy that rewards not just wealth, but the work and workers who created it. It's understanding that the struggles facing working families can't be solved by spending billions of dollars on more tax breaks for big corporations and wealthy CEOs, but by giving a the middle-class a tax break, and investing in our crumbling infrastructure, and transforming how we use energy, and improving our schools, and renewing our commitment to science and innovation. It's understanding that fiscal responsibility and shared prosperity can go hand-in-hand, as they did when Bill Clinton was President.

John McCain has spent a lot of time talking about trips to Iraq in the last few weeks, but maybe if he spent some time taking trips to the cities and towns that have been hardest hit by this economy -- cities in Michigan, and Ohio, and right here in Minnesota -- he'd understand the kind of change that people are looking for.

Maybe if he went to Iowa and met the student who works the night shift after a full day of class and still can't pay the medical bills for a sister who's ill, he'd understand that she can't afford four more years of a health care plan that only takes care of the healthy and wealthy. She needs us to pass health care plan that guarantees insurance to every American who wants it and brings down premiums for every family who needs it. That's the change we need.

Maybe if he went to Pennsylvania and met the man who lost his job but can't even afford the gas to drive around and look for a new one, he'd understand that we can't afford four more years of our addiction to oil from dictators. That man needs us to pass an energy policy that works with automakers to raise fuel standards, and makes corporations pay for their pollution, and oil companies invest their record profits in a clean energy future -- an energy policy that will create millions of new jobs that pay well and can't be outsourced. That's the change we need.

And maybe if he spent some time in the schools of South Carolina or St. Paul or where he spoke tonight in New Orleans, he'd understand that we can't afford to leave the money behind for No Child Left Behind; that we owe it to our children to invest in early childhood education; to recruit an army of new teachers and give them better pay and more support; to finally decide that in this global economy, the chance to get a college education should not be a privilege for the wealthy few, but the birthright of every American. That's the change we need in America. That's why I'm running for President.

The other side will come here in September and offer a very different set of policies and positions, and that is a debate I look forward to. It is a debate the American people deserve. But what you don't deserve is another election that's governed by fear, and innuendo, and division. What you won't hear from this campaign or this party is the kind of politics that uses religion as a wedge, and patriotism as a bludgeon -- that sees our opponents not as competitors to challenge, but enemies to demonize. Because we may call ourselves Democrats and Republicans, but we are Americans first. We are always Americans first.

Despite what the good Senator from Arizona said tonight, I have seen people of differing views and opinions find common cause many times during my two decades in public life, and I have brought many together myself. I've walked arm-in-arm with community leaders on the South Side of Chicago and watched tensions fade as black, white, and Latino fought together for good jobs and good schools. I've sat across the table from law enforcement and civil rights advocates to reform a criminal justice system that sent thirteen innocent people to death row. And I've worked with friends in the other party to provide more children with health insurance and more working families with a tax break; to curb the spread of nuclear weapons and ensure that the American people know where their tax dollars are being spent; and to reduce the influence of lobbyists who have all too often set the agenda in Washington.

In our country, I have found that this cooperation happens not because we agree on everything, but because behind all the labels and false divisions and categories that define us; beyond all the petty bickering and point-scoring in Washington, Americans are a decent, generous, compassionate people, united by common challenges and common hopes. And every so often, there are moments which call on that fundamental goodness to make this country great again.

by ILean Left 2008-06-04 05:38AM | 0 recs
Jon Tester for Obama

On MSNBC right now.

He's saying "We" are for Obama.  I'm not sure if he's speaking for the MT superdelegates.

by PantsB 2008-06-03 07:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Jon Tester for Obama

I think he is. The MT supers said they would come out for whoever won the state.

by Massadonious 2008-06-03 07:09PM | 0 recs
Letter to Obama

Dear Senator Obama,

Congratulations on winning the Democratic Party's Nomination, which you have fought extensively for.

The raison d'être of this letter is my vote in November. You have it; it's yours.

While I have biblical proportions of doubt in your ability to deliver your promises, I believe, giving my vote to Senator John McCain would be an act of bitterness towards your primary victory.

Furthermore, recalling what my candidate has preached about republicans, it would be a disgrace to vote for Senator McCain.

Please accept my sincerest regret that I won't be volunteering for you or making phone calls on your behalf (that level of commitment belongs to someone I truly believe in).  Regardless, I hope you win the presidency.

Good luck and all the best,

Proud Clintonite for Obama

by worlddem 2008-06-03 07:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Letter to Obama

Thank you.  Even that level of investment is important.  I hope you'll change your mind about Obama as the campaign gets into full swing.

by BishopRook 2008-06-03 07:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Letter to Obama

Thank you for your vote.  At this  moment, that is all that I ask.  I do hope that eventually you will join the Obama supporters and support him with more than your vote.  (Please remember the alternative!)

Again, I congratulate Senator Clinton on her amazing campaign.  Perhaps she will be on the ticket or in the Obama cabinet.  I would wholeheartedly support that.

by batchick 2008-06-03 07:24PM | 0 recs
Phantom Rec!

by chrisblask 2008-06-03 07:13PM | 0 recs
Clinton made a HUGE mistake today

I'm pissed but that's immaterial.  She grossly miscalculated this move and she's going to hear about it from all sides.

I didn't really think it was necessary that she concede but she looks really really bad at this point.  She just lost a lot of friends.  Not everyone, but many that would have supported her for VP.

bad bad move.

by ab03 2008-06-03 07:09PM | 0 recs
Unfortunately, I agree.

I want Hillary on the ticket, and I think that's what she's gunning for here, but I don't think her speech tonight was the way to do it. She's trying to strong-arm her way into being asked, and basic psychology tells me that that's not going to boost her chances. As one of the pundits just said, her statements don't suggest she's someone who's willing to play second fiddle.

I really thought we see a strong, strong message of unity from Hillary tonight. That's the approach that's more likely to get her on the ticket, I think. Obama needs to see that she's someone he can work with, someone who will be part of the team, you know? I'm disappointed. Disappointed on many levels.

Disappointed that Hillary isn't going to be our nominee, which has been obvious for awhile now. But also disappointed I'm starting to see that the characteristics that make Hillary such a strong candidate in my mind (tough, tenacious, etc.) probably aren't going to do her any favors for getting the V.P. nod. But hey, let's see how the rest of the week goes...

by HRC 2009 2008-06-03 07:37PM | 0 recs
i agree with you, maybe completely

i've been saying for a while that she's no good at being a #2.  But, I could have been persuaded otherwise today.

If she had either conceded, or just given some concessions, then maybe she could have shown that she could at least pretend to play second fiddle.

I was actually more optimistic than most that Obama would ask her eventually but she did not do herself any favors tonight.  I truly feel that she lost some support (maybe from people like Feinstein or Rendell).

Hard for a nominee to ask someone to be their VP choice if they haven't conceded yet.  Is that supposed to happen on the same day?  Seems like a great way to usurp power from the nominee.  As much as clinton would like it, it's not a co-ticket.

She'll get her high cabinet position if she wants it either way (he will too if he wants it) but today was not smart for them.

by ab03 2008-06-03 07:47PM | 0 recs

Thank you Todd for this!
What an amazing time to be a Democrat - so many remarkable leaders.  Edwards, Clinton, Obama, and non-elected people like Howard Dean and Donna Brazile - it's amazing to see the party so overflowing with talent.

We will win in November.

by tibbs 2008-06-03 07:14PM | 0 recs
Romney Wins Montana!

oh, wait, he's not running, is he?

Would you like fries with that McCainburger?

by chrisblask 2008-06-03 07:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Passing thoughts. I think Gergen may be right that the impact of Obama's amazing speech would have been greatly amplified if Hillary had endorsed him tonight.

It was a great speech and really touched on patriotism, religion and race in interesting challenging ways. I think he took it to McCain boldly and threw down several gauntlets for the Republicans. Fighting spirit...

Todd, I love your enthusiasm! Can you please work on Jerome a little?

by wasder 2008-06-03 07:32PM | 0 recs
Compare all three of tonight's Speeches

McCain gave a decent speech.

Hillary gave a fine, rousing speech. She made some memorable points.

IMHO the stand out had to be the Obama speech. As one who carefully watched all three, and one who has lived and breathed American politics for the last 40 years I think Obama's was an exceptionally moving speech.

by Lefty Coaster 2008-06-03 07:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Compare all three of tonight's Speeches

I think you give McCain too much credit.  I saw them as:

Obama - great speech, Bill Clinton in his prime was the last guy who could match it

HRC - self focused but fine

McCain - terrible.  Universally reviled.

by PantsB 2008-06-03 07:42PM | 0 recs
Anyone else concerned?

About what happens if Obama doesn't choose Hillary for VP?

Or if he does choose her?

I see downsides to either.  He can't preach change and pick the Clintons.  But if he doesn't choose her, how could he do that when she got the most primary votes?  SO many of her supporters will be furious if he doesn't choose her.  But is that the right thing to do?  will she be a plus, or a minus?

OR, is there just no chance that Obama will choose Hillary?

by SueBee 2008-06-03 08:14PM | 0 recs
Stop ignoring caucuses.

Anyway I don't think her supporters will be furious.  This is about ideas, not people.

by Jess81 2008-06-04 12:26AM | 0 recs
Re: Anyone else concerned?

Clinton obviously is having a real problem with accepting defeat. If you think about it she really hasn't had to face losing since she entered the political arena. This is a real hard crash and agonizing moment for her and I feel her pain. I only hope she doesn't take the road of self-emmolation, she has such a great future in politics.

by eddieb 2008-06-04 04:15AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Obama's speech aggressively differentiating himself from McCain (without his usual mouthing of Republican talking points) is encouraging. Maybe he can do so-called "confrontational politics" after all. It shouldn't take much courage to do so in 2008, and we don't need a candidate who compromises on core Democratic values just when we could win! One just wonders who the real Obama is.

by DeanOR 2008-06-03 09:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

I guess you totally missed Obama evicerating McCain on foreign policy during the entire month of May. I recommend checking it out, the man is a beast when it comes to a straight up fight.

by skaiserbrown 2008-06-03 09:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Some times we just plain miss the obvious. All you had to do was listen, and I mean really mean LISTEN  his words and you would know who Obama is! Just what do you think? Do you feel he is some kind of manchurian candidate? Obama through his words inspires and motivates people to Jump to their feet and cheer until it hurts. If you believe in Hillary you can believe in him. Try to remember he is an honest to goodness Democrat. He says what he means and he means what he says!

by eddieb 2008-06-04 04:07AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Say what what you will about the man, but he's got his chops up there on a podium...

I thought it was breathtaking.

FIRED UP AND READY TO GO!!!!

by redwoodsummer 2008-06-03 10:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Speech Thread

Actually, I think We're all Democrats....I haven't had a single discussion on this issue from anyone ...I'd be pleasantly suport  the man who is really democratics.

by anasky123 2008-06-24 10:45PM | 0 recs