David Plouffe Speaks To The Grassroots

This is a very cool video (h/t Ambinder), definitely take a few minutes to watch it. In it, Barack Obama's campaign manager, David Plouffe, speaks strategy to Obama supporters. I like how he keeps talking about "the movement that you guys helped build" and keeps referring to us watching as partners in the campaign. His rhetoric really reflects the "this isn't about me, it's about you" ethic of Obama's campaign.

Plouffe breaks down the Obama victory strategy pretty simply:

1. hold onto Kerry states
2. go on offense in -- and flip -- Bush states

He says they'll be "campaigning very hard out west" both in battlegrounds where Obama has a particular appeal such as Colorado, New Mexico and Nevada, but also in "unusual states" like Montana, North Dakota and Alaska, as we've already seen.

Plouffe also shares some PowerPoint slides with some positive polling info but also a warning sign on the fundraising front: the DNC vs. the RNC as a warning not to get complacent.

Check it out:

Tags: 2008 Presidential election, Barack Obama, David Plouffe (all tags)

Comments

wow, only a genius could think of that

Hold the Kerry states and flip some Bush states.

I guess that's why he gets paid the big bucks.

I don't mind making McCain play defense in a few longshot pickup states, but I am going to be very angry if Obama narrowly loses Ohio or Michigan or Florida, having spent a significant number of days campaigning in places like Montana, Alaska and North Dakota.

by desmoinesdem 2008-06-27 02:40PM | 0 recs
Re: only a genius

I don't think we should worry. If Obama makes campaign appearances in Alaska, and even Montana or the Dakota Badlands, he gets great photo ops and a good shot at making the national news because it is an "unusual" place for a Democrat. If he makes his third or fourth stop in Dayton, sorry, there's not much "news value" even for the 10 o'clock news in Dayton.

Anyway, he's leading in Ohio and Michigan now, and coming up in Florida. He can afford to flirt with these other states.

The target list is actually quite modest, and disappointing. The ad that's running now is supposed to "introduce" Obama to skeptical voters. So why not spread out a bit more with that?

For example, he's on the air with ads in North Carolina and Georgia. Why not South Carolina too? If he's on TV in Savannah and Augusta, the signals leap the river border, the Charlotte stations beam into suburbs and exurbs across the state line, and Asheville-Greenville is one market straddling the hills and the border. So go ahead and buy Charleston, Columbia, and Florence -- small, smaller, and smallest, cheap markets. The Nielsen ADI map shows 23 counties in SC seeing Obama's ads from neighboring cities, and 23 counties left out. Why not "go for broke" when it's so cheap to do?

If Obama's lead increases in the blueish battleground states, I hope to see him add a few more "unusual" ones to the target list.

by Woody 2008-06-27 04:26PM | 0 recs
Re: only a genius

The current plan seems to track closely with the available public polling so if we continue to see close numbers like those out of Mississippi earlier today I would expect some expenditure further down the line. South Carolina along with Texas, Kansas and maybe even Arizona would be the next best bets I would have thought.

by conspiracy 2008-06-27 04:47PM | 0 recs
Re: only a genius

Obama organized and campaigned heavily for several months during the primary season in South Carolina (with around 9000 volunteers by the primary), including big media moments like the Oprah event and his primary victory, so they probably don't view South Carolina as a place where introduction was needed.

by DPW 2008-06-27 05:02PM | 0 recs
Re: only a genius

Good point.

I guess I'm still thinking that for a couple of hundred thousand bucks they could have pwned the political air for a month or so in Charleston, Columbia, and Florence, while lifting the excitement level nationwide by taking that step toward a true 50-state strategy.

I understand that they can ad to their list of target states down the line, but I also believe that early money is like yeast.

by Woody 2008-06-28 10:30AM | 0 recs
Re: wow, only a genius could think of that

That's DLC thinking... the kind of strategy that lost us 2004 and 2000... if you put all your resources in Ohio... and only Ohio... so will McCain... and if you happen to lose there... what's your fallback plan?  Nothing...

And what about those downticket dem pickups you need to have a governing majority... that gets thrown out the window, too...

The strategy you are suggesting is the exact same one that not only lost us the presidency in 2004, but more house and senate seats as well.

It's time for a new direction... one that actually wins.

by LordMike 2008-06-27 07:13PM | 0 recs
we have more potential to pick up House seats

in OH, MI and FL, because those states have disproportionate numbers of Republicans in their House delegations thanks to gerry-mandering. We have more room to gain in PA as well.

So if your concern is down-ticket Democrats, I still think Obama needs to make sure he spends plenty of resources in those big states. We also want to increase the number of statehouse Dems in all those states so they won't be gerry-mandered against us after the 2010 census.

We are not going to pick up the at-large House seat in Montana, and we already hold the at-large House seat in North Dakota.

I am not suggesting that Obama put "all his resources" into Ohio, but he better be very confident that he has all the Kerry states in the bank and a strong effort in Ohio before he screws around in places like North Dakota.

by desmoinesdem 2008-06-28 03:29AM | 0 recs
Re: David Plouffe Speaks To The Grassroots
Maybe if Obama spend time in some of Montana or the Dakotas, he will make McCain play defense there and not spend as much time in Ohio,Michigan or Florida.
Ever thought of that?
by spirowasright 2008-06-27 02:45PM | 0 recs
Re: David Plouffe Speaks To The Grassroots

I'm a bit disturbed at how his hold has weakened recently in CO and OR.

I'd like to know who the "you" in this "movement" is and what it's a movement for.  I keep hearing "it's about you" but I don't know what that means.  About you what?

by Avedon 2008-06-27 02:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Who is you?

Well, we know who it ain't!

Question: Does being a bit disturbed feel anything like being concerned?

by xdem 2008-06-27 03:00PM | 0 recs
Re: David Plouffe Speaks To The Grassroots

It's not you.  It's probably not me either, for that matter.  And iirc, it's a movement for Change and Hope.  Weren't you listening? /snark

Pouffy has been doing this so long he can phone it in and try to sound genuine.

It's not a movement.  No campaign with such a rigid top-down structure can ever be called a movement IMO.

by KimPossible 2008-06-27 04:01PM | 0 recs
I am glad

he brought up about the DNC and RNC fundraising!

If we are going to win down ticket races in many of these "different" states, they will need DNC and grassroots support. We can not just send money and give support to Obama. If we really want to make a CHANGE then we need to help all aspects of this CHANGE.

One other thing. I recall after Howard Dean became chair of the DNC and wanted to push his 50 state strategy, the other people running the DCCC and the DSCC balked at this. They decided to push fundraising to their own separate groups and bypassing the traditional route of going through the DNC.

The end product of this has been the DSCC and the DCCC raising loads of dough and the DNC being shut out.

I will now only give to the DNC, local races and Obama.

Without the power of the local DNC offices and the grassroots that are nutured through these local offices, we would not be where we are right now and we will not win as big if the DNC can not support them.

OK... I am done with my rant.... for now.

by kevin22262 2008-06-27 03:09PM | 0 recs
Re: I am glad

The only time I'm giving money to the DNC is if I get a mailer/message that says "This is the ad about John McCain we want to put on the air" then I'll send some money.  Obama doesn't need my financial help.

by KimPossible 2008-06-27 04:03PM | 0 recs
Obama may not

but the DNC and the 50 states DO need your help!

The DNC helps the small local and state races. The DNC helps to organize Democratic field offices, hired and volunteer help.

This is not just about Obama or this year.

by kevin22262 2008-06-27 04:52PM | 0 recs
Re: David Plouffe Speaks To The Grassroots

Hahahahhhhaaaaaaaaaa......

This is pathetic.

Absolutely pathetic.

Can this fool spell 'Dukakis' or better yet does he know what the simple declarative sentence:

'Kerry lost.'

...means. If you wander around a few of the more 'neutral sites' you will find a whole lot of folks who don't want to be included in the 'we' of selling our 4th amendment right out to protect the Decider and those Dem which participated in the spying.

No thanks, I will take a pass on the 'we' bullshit, pal.

by Pericles 2008-06-27 04:11PM | 0 recs
I see yet again you're a stranger to the phrase...

...if you have nothing positive to say don't say anything at all!

by conspiracy 2008-06-27 04:27PM | 0 recs
Great point!

Kerry lost because he was too conservative on national security.  Dukakis too!  You should email the campaign - they could really use someone with your sharp political acumen.

by JJE 2008-06-27 05:52PM | 0 recs
Not as polished as the Rick Davis ask

by andgarden 2008-06-27 04:19PM | 0 recs
Re: David Plouffe Speaks To The Grassroots

I would have been more comfortable with this if his 'speaking to the grass roots' had reminded folks that "the movement that you guys helped build" wasn't about continual vitriol towards Clinton, her supporters or her former staff.

As for the DNC, I'll give to them when they recognize Florida as a 'whole' again.

I know, I know, they 'can do it' without me, or 'us', and they have that mindset, so what's the use ....

But my plan is to vote for him anyway.

by emsprater 2008-06-27 04:26PM | 0 recs
Re: David Plouffe Speaks To The Grassroots

Don't confuse the 'grass roots' for the 'net roots'. There are many, many more Democrats offline than on, the majority of whom were not ''vitriolic'' toward anyone.

by conspiracy 2008-06-27 04:33PM | 0 recs
Re: David Plouffe Speaks To The Grassroots

True, valid point.

by emsprater 2008-06-27 05:34PM | 0 recs
Re: David Plouffe Speaks To The Grassroots

I'm pretty sure "electoral" is pronounced e-LEC-toral, and not e-lec-TOR-al...y'know as in pastoral when talking about a pastor's duties, as opposed to an idyllic, outdoor scene.

But, I'm sure I digress; I'm happy to see Plouffe explain Obama's strategy. I cannot wait to have 8 years of Chimpy's National Nightmare done and over with.

Kick donkey, fellow Dems!

jhd

p.s. and let's fight against this un-American FISA/4th Amendment bunk, huh? Read Glenn Greenwald over at salon if you have any questions.

by jesus h democrat 2008-06-27 05:24PM | 0 recs
Re: David Plouffe Speaks To The Grassroots

I would have thought the senator would have understood that our beautiful movement would want him to stand up for the Constitution and against telecom immunity and a criminal executive.

I guess we ain;t that beautiful to him after all.

by porsillo 2008-06-27 05:59PM | 0 recs
exactly

How can I reconcile the "it's not about me, it's about you" theme with his vocalizations on the FISA bill?

I can't. Severe cognitive dissonance going on.

by wanderindiana 2008-06-27 07:02PM | 0 recs