Kristol: Please Pretend I'm Not A Hypocrite

Bill Kristol's got chutzpah. In his NYT column today, he concludes:

The MoveOn ad is unapologetic in its selfishness, and barely disguised in its disdain for those who have chosen to serve -- and its contempt for those parents who might be proud of sons and daughters who are serving. The ad boldly embraces a vision of a selfish and infantilized America, suggesting that military service and sacrifice are unnecessary and deplorable relics of the past.

And the sole responsibility of others.

Kristol is of course referring to MoveOn's ad "Alex," the powerful spot released last week.

According to Kristol, we're to believe that it's MoveOn's supporters who want to pass the buck of national defense.

Huh.

Because from what I can tell, MoveOn's ad spoke specifically to war proponents like John McCain and Bill Kristol - men who, no matter the mounting cost in American lives and treasure, are willing to continue flacking a war with no end.

John McCain and his supporters, for example, defend the "100 years" statement by claiming insufficient context. They claim that, really, what McCain meant was that he envisions a peaceful post-war presence analogous to Japan.

Except Iraq is not Japan, and that sort of presence for our troops is impossible. So the ones playing games with the lives and futures of our troops are conservatives who still insist that invading Iraq was the right thing to do.

Here's Kristol lying about whether there's a civil war in Iraq, desperately trying to help the cause of a longer American presence in Iraq:

Chutzpah.

Tags: moveon.org, New York Times, William Kristol (all tags)

Comments

Re: Kristol: Please Pretend I'm Not A Hypocrite

He's too cowardly to put a comments button (which some NYT columnists now use) on any of his work, let alone do that kind of service.

Because I'm sure he'd have a 100 comments of "oh, really, sir.  When did you wear a uniform?  When did anyone even tangentially related to you do so."

by odinseye2k 2008-06-23 11:24AM | 0 recs
Re: Kristol: Please Pretend I'm Not A Hypocrite

There is an e-mail link, which I took advantage of this morning after reading his column (calling those who choose not to serve "narcissists"):

Isn't that ad talking about people like you, Mr. Kristol?

Of course the e-mail was longer than that, I just quoted the last sentence.

by skohayes 2008-06-23 12:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Kristol: Please

At least David Brooks can write well and is capable of independent thought from time to time.

This schmuck?

by Reaper0Bot0 2008-06-23 11:31AM | 0 recs
Unapologetic

Yes it is and it's about time. Obama is unapologetic as well and that decisive confidence is driving David Broder up a wall. How dare a DEMOCRAT not be afraid of the Beltway Pundit Class! Why, the nerve!

by RandyMI 2008-06-23 12:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Kristol: Please Pretend I'm Not A Hypocrite

It really amazing that a candidate like McCain, who exemplifies this complete hypocrisy gets such a free ride from the media.

Check out The John McCain Comedy Jaunt: A Laughing Liberally Lab, featuring comedians from Comedy Central, the Onion, MTV, and special guests Cliff Schecter and Paul Waldman.

by Seth Pearce 2008-06-23 12:09PM | 0 recs
Pvt. Kristol? Sgt. Kristol? Lt. Kristol?

Has ONE freakin' member of that evil chicken hawk clan EVER served in the U.S.Armed Forces?  'Nam?  Iraq?  Somalia?  Any of their bright ideas?

by kosnomore 2008-06-23 01:08PM | 0 recs
Re: Kristol: Please Pretend I'm Not A Hypocrite

Ugh ... Well, I think Bill Kristol is evil and more responsible than most for the quagmire, but he's not wrong here. That MoveOn ad SUCKS. It is absolutely awful. Makes we squirm (and not in a good way). I can't even watch it. Not because the message is difficult, but because the message is just juvenile, way way too cute, and the actress is horrible. I've personally had it with the use of babies and children to make political points.

MoveOn has moved on past the bend. They need to stop throwing raw emotion up on the screen and spend a few bucks testing these things first. This will lose votes. A LOT.

by ColoradoGuy 2008-06-23 01:58PM | 0 recs
Re: Kristol: Please Pretend I'm Not A Hypocrite

Sorry, but I really disagree with you on this one. I have two small grandsons, and I and their mothers (my daughter and daughter-in-law) found this ad very moving.

by Not the only Dem in KS 2008-06-23 03:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Kristol: Please Pretend I'm Not A Hypocrite

Yes -- I think it's definitely a targeted ad for those Clinton voters who need reminding that, no matter how disappointed they are that Clinton lost to Obama, that there are bigger issues at stake than hurt feelings.  Lives are on the line, including the lives of their children.

by Headlight 2008-06-23 05:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Kristol: Please Pretend I'm Not A Hypocrite

Moving, yes. Effective after the fact? That's debatable.

by vcalzone 2008-06-23 06:03PM | 0 recs