Edwards For Attorney General

Ever since John Edwards dropped out of the race, there's been speculation about what his role would be in a Democratic administration, if any. VP? No way. My thinking for months has been that he'd never want to go there again but even if he did, he brought so little to the ticket in 04 why would the nominee want to pick him this year? So, what then? My response has always been: Attorney General. What better job for a man who holds social justice as the cause of his life?

Looks like Edwards may feel the same.

When asked whether he'd want to be Vice President, Edwards was surprisingly emphatic:

"No," Edwards said in no uncertain terms on NBC's the Today show when asked about the possibility. "Won't happen....It's just not something I am interested in."

But when asked whether he'd be interested in Attorney General, he began to play coy.

"I don't really want to get involved in that speculation," he said. "Right now we have to focus on getting Barack Obama elected to President of the United States, then we'll worry about those things."

John Edwards is not good at playing these games. Remember when he was on MSNBC recently, he was asked who he voted for and even as he said he wouldn't reveal it, he accidentally used the pronoun "him" referring to his candidate preference. So, I have to take this as an indication that he does want AG and in fact, I suspect, he's probably been in talks with both Democrats about that very role. He'd be perfect for it and what a change it would be after the jokers who've held the position these past few years. Not only that, but as Bowers points out:

While there were some who thought he was overly messianic in his anti-corporate campaign rhetoric (people like positive messages), that strikes me as exactly the attitude we need from an Attorney General.

Tags: 2008 Presidential election, attorney general, John Edwards (all tags)

Comments

Re: Edwards For Attorney General

I really hope so, ever since he dropped out I've been saying Edwards would make a damn good AG.

by matchles 2008-05-16 11:08AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

Just thinking of the class of AG we've had over the last eight years. Ashcroft... then .. replaced by someone who voted for torture and tried to cover up a scandal.

Lets see. Edwards qualifications?

He's honest, hardworking. ambitious. He's got a clear record of strong casework as an attorney - his first major case was against a company that had made a pool accessory that sucked a little four year old girl into it and killed her. I think.

So we go from water boarding to someone who can help a grieving family recover from losing their four year old to corporate incompetence.

Um.

by Trey Rentz 2008-05-16 11:19AM | 0 recs
small corrections (though I agree with your point)

The girl wasn't killed but she'll need to be on a machine for the rest of her life.  The pool sucked out her intestines.  Edwards had to figure out who to sue: the pool?  The pump maker?  No: he sued, IIRC, the maker of the drain cover.  It was a brilliant tactical move and surprised a lot of people.

And it wasn't his first major case: Edwards was already a very well known, even feared trial attorney by then.

I lived in North Carolina at the time and have relatives who are NC lawyers.  He was a legend by the time the pool case came up.  Word was that simply having Edwards sign on to a case was enough to make defendants start taking settlement seriously.

by kellogg 2008-05-16 11:45AM | 0 recs
Re: small corrections (though I agree with your po
That's odd. Why didn't he sue them all.
Rope them in with joint and several liability and have them fight it out to reimburse each other?
by poserM 2008-05-16 11:52AM | 0 recs
Re: small corrections (though I agree with your po

"Why didn't he sue them all."

Um, perhaps not all of them were to blame?

by Aris Katsaris 2008-05-16 12:16PM | 0 recs
I think the pool itself

didn't have money and so wasn't a good target.  The goal was to get this girl the money she'd need to be taken care of for life, plus punitives.

by kellogg 2008-05-16 12:16PM | 0 recs

I beg to differ.

Edwards never said 'him'.

He said 'em'.

The fact that the neutral 'em' ultimately turned out to be a 'him' is purely coincidental and totally irrelevant.

Besides the surfacing, in the beginning of the 21th century, of gender-biased archaisms such as 'him' or 'her' in the middle of this democratic nomination contest is clear evidence of sexism - and it was the Obama campaign who did it first ;)

by french imp 2008-05-16 12:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

Edwards would make a fantastic AG.  As noted above, one of the worst features of the AG over the last 8 years has been the complete lack of enforcement of any rules and regulations that might conceivably get in the way of corporate profits, no matter the damage to consumers, workers, or the environment.  This really should be a major focus of the next AG.

by soccerandpolitics 2008-05-16 11:11AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

Yesterdat it was Singer. Today it is Todd. You guys are on a roll.

Great post. Edwards would be perfect for the role.

by spacemanspiff 2008-05-16 11:11AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

I predicted this would happen when the nominee is clear. myDD did not tolerate the type of thing going on very well whatever was going on, in the last days of clinton's campaign.  now wait till I get front page again!

:-)

by Trey Rentz 2008-05-16 11:21AM | 0 recs
Doh

you beat me to this, now if Jerome would stop playing Chicken Little this blog would be back to its roots.

by Student Guy 2008-05-16 11:27AM | 0 recs
Not a fun job

Unless you have a weak president, like W, the Vice Presidency is not a fun job.  One gets assignments like overlooking admin. policy on new regulations (one thing Gore did at times, I'm told).

It is unlikely that either of the two remaining Democrats would be a weak president.

by katmandu1 2008-05-16 11:12AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

I would totally root for this to happen.

Now, put Gore as global warming focused Sec of State and let Hillary lead the Health Care reform movement and I think we'll be in for a great 8 years (as sec hhs, if she wants it.)

And get Eric Shinseki for Joint Cheifs chair... Richard Clark for Sec Def and Valarie Plame for Nat'l security and I'll plotz.

This is a fun game!

by Lettuce 2008-05-16 11:13AM | 0 recs
Political Strategy Question

If Obama had decided that he wanted Edwards for his AG, do you announce this before the election?  I don't recall cabinet members being announced before elections in the past, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

by soccerandpolitics 2008-05-16 11:14AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

Really, Edwards is too good to be Attorney General.

I'm getting tired of people trying to build the Obama Universe without know what Obama is thinking.  David Axelrod already has Obama's cabinet planned and the people who will be in the inner circle.

Edwards is not on the list.  Neither is Clinton.

by stefystef 2008-05-16 11:15AM | 0 recs
Your sources being?

You seem to know much about the Obama campaign for a random highly partisan Clinton supporter.

by Dracomicron 2008-05-16 11:20AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

So, who's on the list, then?

by LordMike 2008-05-16 11:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

Edwards should be solicitor general. Its better because he can argue a case extremely well, and he's more likely to get confirmed. He's never prosecuted before, and its likely to be a much more partisan confirmation due to it being Edwards.

by DiamondJay 2008-05-16 11:46AM | 0 recs
Solution to partisan confirmations-

get more Dems elected.

by JDF 2008-05-16 12:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

Would be happy if Edwards became SG as he is by all accounts a phenomenal litigator and it is a stepping stone to the USSC (why not aim high?)

Partisan confirmation?  GOPers put calico cat Ashcroft in charge after one term in the Senate and he was friggin nuts and far more to the right than Edwards is to the left.

I would like GOPers to explain why they would block Edwards from AG after a Dem controlled Senate approved Ashcroft and after years of them screaming up-or-down vote.  Yes, I realize there is no hypocrisy gene among GOPers but I would like to see them try to block, especially since I am pretty confident that after we get to 54-55 this cycle that we could peel away 5 GOPers to confirm using a variety of tactics.

by Trond Jacobsen 2008-05-16 01:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

Go ask Axelrod...it's him re-shaping the Democratic Party.

Or at least he thinks he is.

by stefystef 2008-05-16 11:48AM | 0 recs
He may be too good for AG

But AG would be a great step to a Supreme Court nomination, which is where I'd most like to see him end up.

by kellogg 2008-05-16 11:47AM | 0 recs
Re: He may be too good for AG

I'd still like to see him in the oval for a few years first...

by JDF 2008-05-16 12:44PM | 0 recs

silly

by mikeinsf 2008-05-16 12:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

I'm not a big Edwards fan, but I think he'd be an excellent AG.  We haven't had high-profile "I'll fight for you" type since Robert Kennedy, and Edwards is perfectly suited for the role.  Even the "Breck girl" stuff would rebound to his benefit--who doesn't want their lawyer to be most pampered, fastidious, and arrogant person in the courtroom?  Can understand why he's not interested in the VP slot, and, frankly, am not sure why Clinton would consider taking it.

by IncognitoErgoSum 2008-05-16 11:15AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

Yeah, as a former Edwards supporter seeing how poorly he did in the primaries I have to say no to the VP slot as well. But, have been thinking for a few months an AG spot would suit him very well.

by notedgeways 2008-05-16 11:15AM | 0 recs
Edwards would be a GREAT

attorney general.

by puma 2008-05-16 11:17AM | 0 recs
Edwards would be perfect

He'd be a pitbull as AG. Voters being disenfranchised, workers getting maimed and killed because of lack of prosecution of industrial safety abuses, laws being flaunted by the rich and well connected it would all come to an end quick.

by hankg 2008-05-16 11:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards would be perfect

The man has his progressive side, I will admit.
Wow. The more I think about this the more I like it.

Remember Edwards speech on energy policy in California?  Or ... remember, how Edwards led the field to shut down the Fox news dog and pony show?

Wow. !! This is a great idea. Yep. Edwards would make a DAMN FINE AG.

by Trey Rentz 2008-05-16 11:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards would be perfect

Remember how Obama's camp would go after him about the union support, until of course Obama starting getting union support AFTER Edwards had to drop out?

Remember how Feingold would not have a kind word for Edwards, but now since he's all smiling next to Obama, Edwards is now worthy to be part of the "new" coalition of blacks and eggheads?

~sigh~  Edwards only became "perfect" when he endorsed Obama.  Before then, he was just "another white guy".

by stefystef 2008-05-16 11:47AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards would be perfect

"blacks and eggheads" that's pathetic.

Pretty much how the Republicans have caricatured the Democrats for years. There are millions of Americans from across the demographic spectrum who support Obama. He wouldn't have beat Hillary if his support was as limited as your Republican talking point would suggest.

by hankg 2008-05-16 12:20PM | 0 recs
I don't appreciate being called an egghead.

So cut it the fuck out.

Troll-rated.

by Lord Hadrian 2008-05-16 12:39PM | 0 recs
Wow Todd you are on a roll like Johnathon

This blog is getting back to its purpose, defeating republicans.

kudos to you sir, major kudos.

by Student Guy 2008-05-16 11:21AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

This would be a serious red-meat nomination.  Every Republican organization would come out of the woodwork to fight the confirmation of the King of the Trial Lawyers.

To the victor belong the spoils, of course, and I have to think we would win any confirmation battle.  But it would definitely be a nomination that would take some political capital.  I just don't know if it would be too "divisive" a pick for President Obama.

by Steve M 2008-05-16 11:25AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

IMHO his popularity and easygoing demeanor make it hard for the GOP to demonize him.
by Trey Rentz 2008-05-16 11:29AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

He would win the confirmation.  He's a former senator, and the Senate rarely dis'es one of their own.

I don't know how much political capital it would need.  Edwards is loved by most Democrats.  We didn't think he'd make a good president, but we like his passion and ideals.  I think there would be a strong movement from our side to support him.

Remember, the Republicans will be on their heels, and they would need every vote and then some to filibuster.

I think they'll make a show of it for their base, but I don't think they would succeed.

by LordMike 2008-05-16 11:31AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

"We"???  Who is the "we" you speak of?  It is the Obama-Nation "we"???  Most Democrats didn't "love" Edwards, or they would have voted for him.

I just love these "Johnnie-Come-Late-lies" who now think Edwards was the best thing since sliced bread.  Same folks who didn't have a kind word to say about him when he was trying to run against "The One" but now sing his praises- as long as he does what's best for Obama and his minions.

After November is over, Mr. Edwards should go home, spend what time he can with his wife and leave the politics to its own devices.

by stefystef 2008-05-16 11:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

Well, I didn't think he was a good candidate for president, but I've always admired his advocacy of the poor and forgotten.

For many of the people here, he was their first choice.  Unfortunately, now that he's endorsed the pledged delegate leader, everyone here hates him.  That is too bad.

by LordMike 2008-05-16 11:58AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

Actually, a lot of Obama supporters were Edwards supporters before he dropped out.

by mikeinsf 2008-05-16 12:29PM | 0 recs
You're really beginning to piss me off.

DailyKos used to be the standardbearer for John Edwards; where Obama people were criticized and John Edwards was propped up.

Until he lost - and then we moved towards Barack Obama.

Markos may have liked Obama but Edwards was our choice.

And he was my choice.

So again. Don't be bitter about losing a critical endorsement that ate up news cycles.

He'd be a great AG; he'd be confirmed easily.

by Lord Hadrian 2008-05-16 12:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

So if you didn't vote for him than you didn't love and respect him?

Clearly you are not a member of the democratic party but of the clintocratic party.

The irony of that being that the Clinton's would be disgusted by it.

by JDF 2008-05-16 12:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

On what grounds?  There would have to be some grounds on which they oppose him besides being a former trial lawyer.  If he was an ardent gay marriage proponent or anti-Gun, if he had a clear political bent on some area where there might be legislation, but I can't think of an area where they would have the political capital to block him.

I like the idea because it fits in with the Jerry Brown style of AG where he increases his role in going after corporate & environmental crime.

by Piuma 2008-05-16 11:41AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

I think the trial lawyer thing is more than enough for the GOP.  I mean, trial lawyers want to bankrupt our economy and destroy the foundations of capitalism, after all.  They sit at the right hand of Satan.

The Republicans don't really need political capital to be in opposition.  Indeed, opposition is how they gain their political capital.  I have confidence Edwards would be confirmed, as I already said, but I believe we'd have to put up with quite a bit of grief to make it happen.

by Steve M 2008-05-16 12:08PM | 0 recs
That would indeed be ideal

Guy needs a job, anyway. I don't think he's even a superdelegate.

by Dracomicron 2008-05-16 11:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

Hell yeah Edwards for AG.  I've read Bobby Kennedy is the guy's political idol, and besides Edwards comes from a trial lawyer background, it would be a good fit for him.

Especially lined up after such jokers as Ashcroft and Gonzales.

Biden for Sec of Defense?  Maybe?  Just please don't appoint the token Republican there, we need to stop the "Democrats weak on defense" meme already.

by Skaje 2008-05-16 11:38AM | 0 recs
Yes...certainly a good prospect for this position!

I would completely support it...Love Edwards.

by netgui68 2008-05-16 11:39AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

My issue is that I want an attorney general who will prosecute the former AG and his attorneys who committed crimes while at the Justice Dept.  I don't care if they claim it is a witch hunt.  I want these guys to go to jail.

by stationakl 2008-05-16 11:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

Absolutely Todd.  AG is a perfect fit for Edwards, and for Democrats.

by Dan Kervick 2008-05-16 11:42AM | 0 recs
Na, Hillary won't want him as AG

I don't know, I can't see Hillary placing him in that position, not sure who she'll put in at AG.

by gorgias 2008-05-16 11:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Na, Hillary won't want him as AG

Well, since this is an alternate universe we seem to be in, how about Harvey Dent?

by mikeinsf 2008-05-16 12:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

You think an "anti-corporate" attitude is exactly what we need from an Attorney General?  That's like saying you want an "anti-defendant" attitude in criminal trials.  What we should look for in our prosecutors and should be an even-handed approach to people and corporations, not a bias one way or another.

Of course, John Edwards is a brilliant man and fully realizes this, so I would be thrilled to have him as our Attorney General.

by Onward Virginia Democrats 2008-05-16 11:51AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

While I like John Edwards, I can think of others who I would like equally -- if not more:  Mario Cuomo, Tim Kaine, Mel Watt, Bobby Scott, Sheila Jackson-Lee, etc.  The last three -- particularly Mel Watt and Bobby Scott -- are also good Supreme Court picks, IMO.

by Brad G 2008-05-16 11:52AM | 0 recs
I'd say Solicitor General instead

Edwards would be good at the Justice Department, but I don't think he should be Attorney General. He doesn't have much experience in terms of prosecuting, and would have a very tough time getting confirmation, with that as just one of the GOP excuses. He may not get taken as seriously because of that too. He should use his litigating gifts, and he's a great litigator and can argue a damned good case to a court. That is why he should be Solicitor General. Solicitor Generals argue cases to the SCOTUS on behalf of the White House. With a right wing court, the White House will need someone like Edwards, and the job is perfect for him. Confirmation would be easier too. The job is cut out for him.

by DiamondJay 2008-05-16 11:55AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

I'm not sure that's the direction McCain will go in.

by masslib1 2008-05-16 12:36PM | 0 recs
The Skkkkyyyyyyyyy is falling

you chicken littles need to get over it.

by JDF 2008-05-16 12:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

Is this a joke?  Shouldn't someone ask Hillary? after all, she will be the nominee.  All this talk is downright idotic, given that Obama is not the nominee and stands a good chance of not being the nominee.  He is unelectable.  I suggest maybe Obama approach Hillary on bended knee to ask Hillary to maybe consider him as Vice-President, that in another eight years he might be ready to be President.  That would be unity!

by jimbo 2008-05-16 12:59PM | 0 recs
This is disgusting

"I suggest maybe Obama approach Hillary on bended knee to ask Hillary to maybe consider him as Vice-President, that in another eight years he might be ready to be President.  That would be unity!"

Seriously disgusting. I can just imagine the cries of sexism if someone said that about Hillary. Puh-leeze

by SocialDem 2008-05-16 05:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

I've been thinking of Patrick Fitzgerald for AG.  Hugely experienced and respected, and not a partisan.  He has experience in organized crime and terrorism cases, and has gone after both R's (IL Gov Ryan) and D's (Chicago mayor Daley) for corruption.  I really think he'd be perfect to cleanse the Justice Dept and get it back to "enforcing the rule of law for all".

Edwards, I would see at Labor.  That's much more of an advocate's spot, standing up to corporate power.  Plus that dept. needs some re-invigorating and Edwards would do that.

by lilnev 2008-05-16 01:13PM | 0 recs
yup, yup... all that.

And also a Republican.

Lord knows Blogo would be happy about though.

by neutron 2008-05-16 03:51PM | 0 recs
this can come from a couple different things

Either it is actually being talked about within the Obama campaign, or Edwards WANTS the media to start talking about it amongst themselves.

Either way it's facinating to watch.

by DawnG 2008-05-16 02:45PM | 0 recs
Rather Justice Edwards....

Not bad, but I want Justice Edwards. As former Senator, he'll even pick up some GOP votes in the confirmation. He's young enough; could even end up Chief Justice.

by Skipster 2008-05-16 02:53PM | 0 recs
Hillary for Veep
Edwards for AG
by rossinatl 2008-05-16 03:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Like a Bulldog on a Bone: Edwards For AG

He'd be great at pursuing and "clearing the case files" (of obstruction and executive lawlessness) of the Bush Co.  He's tenacious and that is exactly what you need.  Of course Bush will do everything he can to lock up and/or destroy all his records, so it will be an interesting standoff.  As executive, Bush has already defied the Supreme Court and Congress in separate cases and defied them to do anything about it, exposing a huge weakness in the American system-- balance of powers only works if the balance can be enforced and the executive is the only branch with effective enforcement powers.  Sure Congress can issue "inherent contempt" and/or impeach, and Supreme Court can legally order certain actions but both can still be mostly defied or deferred without a Congressional supermajority.  With Edwards you would have someone who DELIGHTS in going after the crooks.  He'll make good ole Fitz seem like a patent attorney.

by citizenzeus 2008-05-16 08:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

if he was a judge at any point i'd say SC justice,but yeah AG would be grat.  however, iwouldlike to say that i think the wrong edwards went into elected politics.

by Doug Tuttle 2008-05-16 09:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards For Attorney General

Why not put Edwards on the Supreme Court?  He'd be too busy as AG to do his poverty work stuff.

by shellius 2008-05-17 04:39AM | 0 recs