MyDD Guidelines

Bumped - Todd

This site went through a number of user being banned that were over the top Clinton supporters a few weeks back, and more recently (like today) with a number of over the top Obama supporters. And 'over the top' means a complete disregard for the guidelines of the site.

Here are the guidelines for the MyDD community:

• Users who are bashing or attacking any other user on the site, including authors of diaries and frontpage postings, will be banned. Candidates and politicians are fair game (but that doesn't mean you can use inflammatory language against candidates).

• Post as many comments as you like, but users that post comments that do nothing but name-call, denigrate the site users, or make inflammatory remarks will either be warned, or outright banned.

• Titles of diaries should not be inflammatory, call out other users or the site, and will be deleted if not edited out, and the user banned.

• Post only 1-2 diaries per day. No single or two-line diaries--if it's a comment, put it in a comment thread. Don't clutter the diaries with foolish commentary on MyDD itself. Do not create a diary that attacks another user.

• Do not troll rate (rating as 0) another user's comment unless it is a comment that is an attack on another user. Abusing this privilege will result in all your ratings being erased and/or getting a warning, or being banned.

• 'Trusted users' are those users that have 'mojo' and are able to 'review hidden comments' and can rate any of those posts hidden by a '0' ranking. If a trusted user deems the post should not be hidden, they can 'rescue' the post with a '1' rating.

• Users who are excessively bashing the Democratic Party, or being Republican trolls, will be banned.

• Users who are spaming the site with unrelated material or the like will be banned.

The administrating of MyDD is a group effort, and unfortunately we will fail to have the time to notice every case of abuse of the guidelines.

Tags: 2008 election (all tags)

Comments

Re: MyDD Guidelines

Thanks for all your efforts Jerome.  I know the admin. end of your work can't be fun. But it really does make a difference to the quality of your site and the community you've built up here.

Peace,
Alegre

by alegre 2008-04-30 05:51PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

Bravo!  I think it was high time people were reminded of what it means to be on DD.  This is not like that other site where attacking allies is encouraged.

Keep it up!  These standards matter!

by FISG 2008-04-30 09:29PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

that's why this is an excellent community - there is one set of rules. thanks, jerome, and don't get too aggravated at these folks; they're used to different standards.

by campskunk 2008-04-30 05:54PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

Thank you for all that you do.

Despite the fierce debates, or perhaps because of them, this is a very special place on the internet.

by bobbank 2008-04-30 05:59PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

Agreed. As someone pointed out on OpenLeft, the "progressive" blogosphere has become a toxic virtual wasteland. It is super that mydd is supporting argument and civility (of a sort, it's a blog, after all).

by Eqbal00 2008-04-30 06:13PM | 0 recs

Thanks Jerome.

A suggestion:  I noticed at Kos when I went to create a diary that the user guidelines were posted when the diary-creation template comes up, as a reminder.

TD

by TexasDarlin 2008-04-30 06:38PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

I've been wondering for a couple week now just how I ended up with TU status here.  I used to have to work my ass off to get and maintain it over at dKos.

And life is so much more pleasant when that "Review Hidden Comments" link isn't sitting over there in the left-hand frame, taunting one to take a peek. :-p

by aggieric 2008-04-30 07:18PM | 0 recs
Yes, thanks!

All I ever ask of a place I hang out at, is intellectual honesty.

When people post lies, distort the truth, try to create snowballs in the desert in order to trigger some sort of phony avalanche, yada yada yada, I get angry.

This applies regardless of who someone supports...I strongly support Hillary, but if Obama is the nominee, I'll still be a Democrat, I'll still be fine, and the fact is, an Obama presidency would be as meaningful to millions and millions of Americans who are underprivileged, as a Hillary presidency would be.

I just wish "Obama the campaign" would have been as honest and above board as "Obama the newcomer" was a couple of years ago...the word that immediately comes to mind is, disappointing.  Why couldn't he just wait his turn (yea, I said it) and actually do something for a few years, like be a good VP, and then write new history.  We could have had 16 years of history.

John

by SluggoJD 2008-04-30 07:25PM | 0 recs
I agree with a lot of what you said

except the "wait his turn," part. This is what turned me off to Hillary's campaign at the outset. I love her as a Senator and remember her fondly as a first lady. I also think she would be an excellent President.

But I have been left with the impression that she feels entitled to it. That it was "her" turn. There are no turns in politics and nobody has a right to my (or anyone elses) vote.

I honestly think if she had been working as hard at the beginning of this campaign as she is now (or at least appearing to,) and she hadn't been so hard headed about her aumf vote there wouldn't have been a contest at all...but because she acted as though she didn't expect a real fight she got one.

by JDF 2008-04-30 08:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Yes, thanks!

This is completely off-topic--but do you have any idea how obnoxious, "wait his turn(yea, I said it) and actually do something for a few years, like be a good VP," sounds to many people?

Hillary Clinton was married to a President for 8 years and has been a Senator for 8 years. That's a great resume, but we're not talking about Winston Churchill here. There's a lot of people out there who have been in more senior congressional positions for longer, or who have been governors, or generals, or secretaries of state, etc., etc. Clearly this narrow measure of 'experience' isn't the critical measure by which we select our Presidents--if so then people would be telling Hillary Clinton to "wait her turn".

The other problem with the "wait his turn" meme is that it reeks of DNC-establishment orthodoxy and, if you haven't noticed, people are pretty pissed at the DNC consultant class which has consistently snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by favoring more 'electable' candidates which never get elected.

And finally, frankly, "wait his turn" and "be a good VP" sound like code words to us for "someone like him should be happy with what he gets".

by Brannon 2008-04-30 08:23PM | 0 recs
Is this a reference to Axelrod?

...it reeks of DNC-establishment orthodoxy and, if you haven't noticed, people are pretty pissed at the DNC consultant class which has consistently snatched defeat from the jaws of victory...

Part of Axelrod's resume...

--Built his reputation sucking up to the likes of the leadership of the Cook County Democratic machine...

--Ran media and strategy for Rahm Emanuel in his 2002 campaign...

--Handpicked by the DCCC (i.e.: Emanuel) in 2006, to  run media/strategy for his (Rahm's) handpicked centrist candidate, Tammy Duckworth, with Axelrod blowing almost $4 million of perfectly good DCCC funds in the process (funds that were badly needed in other Dem races) in a futile attempt to best Rethug Roskam; at first, the effort "succeeded" by undermining the Primary campaign of the most promising Progressive Congressional candidate in the midwest, Christine Cegelis, who was outspent something like 10:1 by Duckworth in the Primary; all that record-setting money, poured into Axelrod's pockets, and Duckworth barely won the nomination over Cegelis (something like a 1,000 vote difference), all but ruining the Dems' chances for a victory that November, because the local Progressive organization was disgusted to the pointed of walking away from the Party two years ago....oh, and one more thing concering common knowledge at the time: Obama, on Rahm's and Axelrod's behalf, attempted to exert quite heavy pressure on Cegelis to get out of the primary race, even though Duckworth entered the primary quite late in the cycle.

--Not to worry, Rahm wasn't quite as successful in attempting to undermine winning Progressive efforts of Shea-Porter (NH-01), Hall (NY-19) and McNerney (CA-11); but good ole' Axelrod almost succeeded...but, "almost" doesn't count (much) in politics. Especially when the effort entailed the gross public display of Rahm doing whatever he damn well wanted to undermine the will of the brilliant, Progressive efforts of the Cegelis' organization.

Are you talking about that DNC consultant class? Or, were you referring to other consultants?

by bobswern 2008-04-30 08:46PM | 0 recs
Women are 51% of the population

"They" have been waiting "their" turn for over 200 years.

So spare me the false agony.  It is time for a woman to run this country.  If you can't be honest enough to at least admit that Hillary is a very smart woman, than you shouldn't be here.

She destroyed Bill O'Liely tonight.  You really think she's so clumsy, she'll snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?

Now then, please say something nice and honest, or don't bother saying anything.

John

by SluggoJD 2008-04-30 09:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Women are 51% of the population

" It is time for a woman to run this country"

uhhh. okay, whatever. I don't think Hillary nor most Hillary supporters would agree that she should be handed the job just for being a woman.

And I do think she's a smart woman--and that she'd be a pretty good President. But she's not my first choice nor the first choice, and that's why we have elections to resolve such things.

"You really think she's so clumsy, she'll snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?"

Yes, as evidence--look at her primary campaign. Is there a better example of the clear frontrunner mismanaging their campaign?

by Brannon 2008-05-01 03:10PM | 0 recs
HUH?

Aren't you the guy that did a three part expose on Obama scratching his face?

by ameridad 2008-04-30 10:02PM | 0 recs
Re: HUH?

Wow, you think that one bit me on the rear?

Go study the videos, study the audience, study when they got louder and louder, and come back and debate.

by SluggoJD 2008-04-30 10:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Yes, thanks!

"wait his turn" and actually "be a good VP"? Oh no you dih-int.

Is there a reason HRC shouldn't accept the math, wait her turn (yea, I said it) and actually do something for a few years, like be a good VP?

by danfromny 2008-05-01 06:40AM | 0 recs
This is a bit off-topic

But for a few days now, I have been unable to rate comments and recommend diaries. But my trusted user status is still intact in that I can see hidden comments.

Is this intended, or a bug in the website?

by MILiberal 2008-04-30 07:27PM | 0 recs
Re: This is a bit off-topic

Are you an Obama suporter?

by Lefty Coaster 2008-04-30 08:07PM | 0 recs
What does that have to do with anything?

by MILiberal 2008-04-30 09:36PM | 0 recs
Re: What does that have to do with anything?

This happened to me twice in the last three days. I emailed Jonathan each time and he fixed it.  He said it was a technical glitch.

by map 2008-04-30 09:40PM | 0 recs
Re: What does that have to do with anything?

Happened to me, too. I guess I'll try your fix. I kind of jumped to the conclusion that I was being punished for being pro-Obama, but maybe my tinfoil hat just isn't working properly.

by kydoc 2008-05-01 06:35AM | 0 recs
Re: This is a bit off-topic
I have the same problem...
by power of truth 2008-04-30 10:24PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

Great idea Jerome. It's okay to argue vehemently about a position or a piece of news, but a kernel of decency and respect is the only thing that makes this a civil discussion between fellow Democrats. We're allowed to fight hard for the things we believe in, but being constructive, rather than destructive, has to be at the core of it.

Cheers.

by mikeplugh 2008-04-30 07:34PM | 0 recs
Thanks Jerome for giving us a place to

hang out. I once was a proud Kossack. But, alas, no more. Now I have grown to love MyDD. I know there are more Hillary supporters here than Obama supporters, but it would be a lonely echo chamber without all the lively back and forth. I am glad we can all come here and learn from one another. There will always be those hateful few, but such is life. All in all, this place is not too shabby as blogs go.

by Rumarhazzit 2008-04-30 07:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Thanks Jerome for giving us a place to

I'm with you on that.  I was a Kossack also, but no longer.  This site is much more civil.

by slynch 2008-04-30 07:52PM | 0 recs
Thanks for posting this

I donated to this site during your last fund raising thingy.  I enjoy this site despite my primary candidate leanings.

I look forward to the day when MYDD and other sites having such vigorous primary disagreements can merge into a mighty McSame-defeating force....much like the transforming Constructicons merge into the mighty Devastator.

Despite the arguing, none of us really need another Roberts and Scalia after November.
My daughter sure doesn't.

by Sam Loomis 2008-04-30 07:42PM | 0 recs
you got a kid!!

I didn't know that!!

Look at you - Lucky guy!!

by Al Rodgers 2008-04-30 08:32PM | 0 recs
Re: you got a kid!!

Yeah, and she's crazy.

by Sam Loomis 2008-05-01 08:22PM | 0 recs
Thank you for posting this.

Please let's save this site, we do not want it to be the next dailykos. As it stands now Talkleft is the only place to go in blogosphere for serious and interesting comments - no offense to this site - the rules differ  -- it is more open here.

by Molee 2008-04-30 07:43PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

Errr, I got a warning for calling Jerome's post this morning "idiotic".  Could someone explain to me why this violated MYDD policy?  Does calling someone's reasoning idiotic now equate calling that person an idiot?

by Trinhmaster 2008-04-30 07:50PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

Just click on the warning, acknowledge it, and move on.

Hey. Moveon. isn't that a great name for an organization.

Wow.
Wonder what they are up to.

by Trey Rentz 2008-04-30 07:55PM | 0 recs
try this

the tabs are mislabled.  most of this site's rules are found under this tab/link.

I actually read the FAQ tab, because, traditionally, that where site usually keep their rules, but no.

by Al Rodgers 2008-04-30 08:04PM | 0 recs
The maps on the site could be a bit better.

Why isn't anyone updated that map, then. that mydd posts on the upper left... IE.

the clinton vs. mccain map, on the right
and the obama vs. mccain on the left..

The exit polling from Pennsylvania showed Obama carrying the state against McCain, however, the  map up there shows that Obama loses it to McCain?

There are no polls that indicate this.
I agree this place isn't dailykos.

I get alternate date from the votemaster
(electoral-vote.com) and it doesn't agree with that which is posted on this site.

By and large, myDD is still my favorite but
I am going to be preparing some special things for all the hotshots out here who are running th show thinking Hillary has a hat trick.

Next week, boys. Next week.
And watch the quality of writing improve lads.
When that big slice of humble pie is munched down.

There is no way the candidacy of Hillary clinton will survive a double loss next week.

by Trey Rentz 2008-04-30 07:54PM | 0 recs
Re: The maps on the site could be a bit better.

The EV maps are based on the most recent Dem vs. McCain poll in each state.

The most recent PA poll was McCain 44, Obama 43.
The one before that was McCain 48, Obama 40
The one before that was McCain 49, Obama 39
Of the last 15 polls in Pennsylvania, 11 show McCain beating Obama, 4 show the reverse.

http://www.pollster.com/08-PA-Pres-GE-Mv O.php

by DaveOinSF 2008-04-30 09:31PM | 0 recs
Re: The maps on the site could be a bit better.

Actually, per the link you provide, the most recent poll is Quinnipiac - which does indeed have Obama ahead of McCain 47-38.

by SKI 2008-05-01 08:17AM | 0 recs
MyDD Guidelines?

I've been around for over a month, post sparingly and the posts are more reasonable than most of the supporters on this board.  Heck, I've only been troll rated once in the 80 something posts I've made.  And that was for making fun of Drudge.  And I didn't comment on anything all day until about an hour ago.  Yet you take away my rec and rating powers for recommending a couple diaries you didn't like.  Is that the 'over the top' you are talking about?

by reggie23 2008-04-30 07:57PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines?

I am in a similar position, and a few others have commented on it as well. Someone upthread suggested that s/he emailed Jonathan about it, who is reported to have said that it was a technical glitch (rather than punishment/censorship) and that after emailing Jonathan, the account was fixed.

I have now also emailed Jonathan, so I'm hoping mine gets fixed soon, too. I say give mydd the benefit of the doubt unless evidence piles up that this glitch is actually intentional.

by kydoc 2008-05-01 11:39AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines?

You know, its happened to me before and I finally got through to Jonathan Singer who fixed it for me .  But this time around, I think its just too big of a coincidence to be a  technical glitch

by reggie23 2008-05-01 12:58PM | 0 recs
Here here

civility is a good thing, we can disagree but we can do it with humor.

by Student Guy 2008-04-30 08:04PM | 0 recs
MyDD Guidelines should be posted under FAQ

On most sites, the rules are posted under "FAQ/Usage."  But here the rules are posted under "about MYDD."

I think alot of people will make that error.

by Al Rodgers 2008-04-30 08:07PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

I hate that these rules have to be continually put out there. I guess people get carried away sometimes, myself included.

by Ga6thDem 2008-04-30 08:08PM | 0 recs
Well seeing is I never got
warned, I guess I never broke any rulez.
I'd say you still have got some work to do on that number one rule.
Not that I care all too much, I've been a lurker here longer than most of the members, since 2004, and only started posting here recently.
And tomorrow I am gone, no more bloggin for me.
I do hope we all support the nominee come Nov.
by Drewid 2008-04-30 08:16PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

thanks jerome and co for all your hard and good work!

by canadian gal 2008-04-30 08:20PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

You might want to change the point 5.  Troll rating is a rating of (1) not (0)..

other than that bravo!

Lets keep it civil and help the Democrats win in the fall!

by Why Not 2008-04-30 08:37PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

Who was banned recently? Can people say?

by vcalzone 2008-04-30 08:54PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

Michael Moore blames senile old people for supporting Hillary.

Somebody didn't give him a hug.

He dismissed Hillary supporters as being old and senile.

Did I watch this interview correctly?

For someone who seems to understand and exploits the plights of American middle to lower class citizens, he sure does have a disdain for a woman who has a history of supporting women, children and the advancement of the middle class.

What's his problem?

by devoted1 2008-04-30 08:57PM | 0 recs
A couple of questions

With regards to this item, where does saying that you'll vote for McCain/Nader/Gravel if X is the nominee fall? On the one hand, I can see how some might see it as a legitimate political viewpoint (ie. I want immediate withdrawal from Iraq, Obama/Clinton does not offer that). On the other hand, this is a website dedicated to electing Democrats, right? So if someone gets too trollish about it, is that enough to get banned?

I'm just curious. I'm not sure which way it should go.

I guess I have a similar and possibly related question: if bashing the Democratic Party is not okay, what about bashing Democratic leaders (Howard Dean, Nancy Pelosi, etc.)? They're public figures, but they're also the public face of our party. Where is the line drawn? (And please, don't let the line be "Pelosi supports Obama, so she's fair game.")

by Fitzy 2008-04-30 09:08PM | 0 recs
Re: A couple of questions

no he just means the party in general, not specific people if for good reason. but if you call Dean "a liberal loon" with no reason and do it all the time, you can be a troll. but if you say "Howard Dean lacked leadership on the primaries for a while" that is not bashing the party, just talking about how he wasn't leading, with respect to MI and FL. Same with Pelosi, but its OK to point out how she "hasn't ended the war and doesn't stand up to bush" because its legit complaint, but if you call her "a pro corporate corporation corporatist" then you're a troll

by DiamondJay 2008-04-30 09:32PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

I don't get it- are you yourself not an 'over the top Clinton supporter'? You're to Clinton what Markos is to Obama.

What's a community without dissenting opinions, both muted and 'over the top'.  Isn't that more representative of 'Direct Democracy'?

by bradical 2008-04-30 09:30PM | 0 recs
Actually No

Jerome is clearly a (tepid) Clinton supporter, but he is not to Clinton as others are to Obama.

I wince less with Jerome's posts (or less often) than I do with most other bloggers.

IMO Digby is the most evenhanded, but like me, she isn't taking sides this primary, she just wants to beat McCain.

by molly bloom 2008-05-01 05:41AM | 0 recs

and responding.  Regards to you all for site management.

by 4justice 2008-04-30 09:39PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

Methinks he doth protest too much.

by Bob Beard 2008-04-30 10:14PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

I didn't get any warning, and I only troll-rated people that made personal attacks but I still have all my ratings stripped and can no longer recommend diaries or rate posts.  I'm curious as to whether this was a technical glitch or if I got caught up in a wave of some sort.

by juliewolf 2008-04-30 11:42PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

Yes Julie,  I lost my rec privledges too, but without any kind of warning or reason.

What do we do to get it back?

by GeorgeP922 2008-05-01 06:38AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

I don't expect to get anything back.  If it was done purposefully, no one's under any obligation to explain it to me.  This is, after all, a privately owned and operated site.  I'd just like the courtesy of being informed as to whether or not this was intentional and, if so, why.

by juliewolf 2008-05-01 11:26AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

I wondered why mydd seemed more civil than other sites.

Good job.

by kang5 2008-05-01 04:31AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

Thanks...I was getting tired of the anti-Israel postings showing up in the diaries as of late.

by kydem 2008-05-01 05:14AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

Sorry. I can be a bit of a d-bag sometimes.

by danfromny 2008-05-01 06:11AM | 0 recs
It seems alot of

It seems alot of people got Recing privileges and TR privileges stripped on 4/28 - 4/30.

I myself got no warning.

How do what seems like a large group of people go about getting turned back on?

Also is there somewhere on this site where your user status is conveyed?

by GeorgeP922 2008-05-01 06:40AM | 0 recs
Just to note.

#  * Post as many comments as you like, but users that post comments that do nothing but name-call, denigrate the site users, or make inflammatory remarks will either be warned, or outright banned.

I have personally seen JA denigrate other users.

# * Users who are excessively bashing the Democratic Party, or being Republican trolls, will be banned.

But it's OK to bash the Democratic nominee and his supporters?

by Kobi 2008-05-01 07:28AM | 0 recs
These are sensible guidelines

I am over my snit of a few weeks ago and hope to make meaningful, positive contributions.

by katmandu1 2008-05-01 07:43AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

Eh, I've been using the 'net way too long to get in such a tiff over arguments like this.  The part about 'enforcing the rules' just happening to coincide with 'stifling those who disagree with the owner of the site' isn't exactly new.

Unlike most situations, this one has an endgame.  Very soon, Obama will be the nominee, and those who were so incredibly upset at having to listen to supporters of his express their opinion, will be forced to choose between supporting him, or supporting McCain.  (If you don't support the Democratic nominee, you are helping to elect the Republican, period.)

Then we will see how dedicated everyone is to Democratic causes, and to electing Democrats.  These little spats will just be fodder for the Wayback Machine.

by Wayward Son 2008-05-01 09:19AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Guidelines

Lets see.  The 5 rec'd diaries are all anti obama, pro clinton.  Mydd got exactly what it wanted.

by reggie23 2008-05-01 10:33AM | 0 recs