Barack Obama Press Conference

I caught some of Barack Obama's press conference to address Jeremiah Wright's recent antics. Obama is finally starting to show some measure of justified anger at what his former pastor has done to him. "What Rev. Wright said yesterday directly contradicts everything I've done during my life. It contradicts how I was raised and the setting in which I was raised, it contradicts the issues that I've worked on, it contradicts what I've written in my books...it contradicts everything I've been saying on this campaign trail." He's still remarkably measured in both tone and rhetoric. While according to Mark Halperin, he finally has come out and said of Wright's words: "They offend me. They rightly offend all Americans and they should be denounced. And that's what I'm doing very clearly and unequivocally today," he still refuses to entirely throw Wright under the bus. Not sure why he continues to insist on defending Wright: "I continue to believe Rev. Wright has been a leader in the South side, the church he has built is outstanding, I think that he has preached in the past some wonderful sermons..." I'm glad to finally see him get exercised: "That's enough. That's a show of disrespect to me. It's also, I think, an insult to what we've been trying to do in this campaign."

There are a couple problems that this press conference aren't likely to assuage. First is Obama's statement that he guesses he didn't know Wright as well as he thought he did. "The person that I saw yesterday was not the person that I had come to know over 20 years." That's a big problem for someone running on judgment. Secondly, yesterday Obama pointed to Wright's off-message press tour as proof that the his campaign was not managing or coordinating with Wright, I suppose to distance himself from Wright prove to people that he is indeed Obama's former pastor. What is does for me is call into question his fitness to run a general.

Update [2008-4-29 14:50:48 by Todd Beeton]:Fox News's take: "This could be a turning point in the campaign for the Democratic nomination for the presidency."

Update [2008-4-29 14:58:39 by Todd Beeton]:Of course it also gives FoxNews the license to replay much of Wright's weekend press tour. Interestingly, CNN appears to just be replaying Obama's press conference, perhaps in repentance for devoting literally hours of coverage to Wright last night.

Tags: 2008 Presidential election, Barack Obama, Democratic nomination, Jeremiah Wright (all tags)

Comments

I guess Obama's judgment

is specialized.  It's unfortunate that it doesn't include "the content of a man's character."

by Beltway Dem 2008-04-29 10:39AM | 0 recs
Obama was right

in 2002 on the invasion of Iraq.

I think many of these comemnts are just a game.

Content of character?  What bs.

by TomP 2008-04-29 10:41AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama was right

in 2002 on the invasion of Iraq.

So was I.

Now do I get to run for president?  I also earned a JD!

by reggie44pride 2008-04-29 12:16PM | 0 recs
sure

nothing is stopping you at all, unless you are under 35 and not a native born of this country.

by kindthoughts 2008-04-29 12:33PM | 0 recs
by minnehot1 2008-04-29 03:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama was right

Well, yes and no.  Certainly "content of character" can be sold as image. I think that we were all familiar with that in 2000 and 2004. Now, as I near my dotage (or whatever), I do understand the reality of "character."  It has to do with a lot more than one vote.  It is a sum total thing that does include the type of life you actually live...and, that includes close associates and influences and patterns (here: Wright, Rezko, Ayers, and anyone else?)  Why should we care? Because it fills in the blanks about someone we really know very little about.  Thats what Presidential elections often are about in one way or another.

by christinep 2008-04-29 01:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama was right

If were basing this on friendships then I don't think Hill's up there either I mean a good handful of her friends ended up in prison on corruption charges, not sure how that qualifies her for the presidency.

by Socraticsilence 2008-04-29 02:31PM | 0 recs
Re: I guess Obama's judgment

Yep. The most important kind of judgement is who you associate with. When it comes to authorizing wars that kill 4000 people, that's just not important.

by Democratic Unity 2008-04-29 10:41AM | 0 recs
Re: I guess Obama's judgment

And don't forget gas prices!  The war did more to raise gas prices than any pandering gas tax holiday could possibly overcome.  And talk of obliterating Iran (and, presumably, all their oil) doesn't help either.

by freedom78 2008-04-29 10:47AM | 0 recs
Re: I guess Obama's judgment

Thanks for gleefully promoting the notion that whites are running away from Obama!

by Democratic Unity 2008-04-29 11:55AM | 0 recs
Re: I guess Obama's judgment

JoseyJ was right, you know.

I'm not an Obama supporter...not one whit.  I started out with a soft spot for Obama after the 2004 convention but that leaning was straightened out when I realized how little experience and leadership the man actually possesses.

However, I have enjoyed watching the Democratic nomination process play out.  There is no better theater than politics.

That having been said, when I read accounts of Obama's presser the first thing that came to mind was "desperate".

This primary season is over.  Barack Obama is hoist on his own petard.

by creeper1014 2008-04-29 12:18PM | 0 recs
Glad you're enjoying the theatre

Now.  My rent is due in 2 days and I don't really know how to pay it because I have spent so much money on gas and food this month.  I know it sounds like I'm whining, but I think lots of people are in my situation.

Can someone tell me how this political debris relates to my problems?

by smoker1 2008-04-29 02:29PM | 0 recs
Re: I guess Obama's judgment

You know...noone "gleefully promoted" anything in the statement above.  Perhaps, that says something about your state of emotions.

by christinep 2008-04-29 01:58PM | 0 recs
Obama's Sista Souljah Moment showed fine judgment

Obama showed great judgment in taking my advice and throwing Rev. Wright under the bus.  It was the exact Sista Souljah moment that I said he needed.

First I recommended that Obama cut Sharpton off at the knees. And Obama did.  But I guess Obama hadn't been informed of my updated advice that it should be Rev. Wright instead because the Sharpton slap down received little attention in the media.

However, Obama then took my advice and threw Rev. Wright under the bus.  He got the media attention.  Andrew Sullivan declared Obama  exonerated.

Obama is showing fine judgment in taking my advice. The only thing he could do better is pay me.

by dMarx 2008-04-29 12:19PM | 0 recs
Re: I guess Obama's judgment

Exactly.

Were the comments made yesterday so much worst than the "Damn America", "Riding blakcs like he did Lewinsky","Invented aids to kill blacks" rhetoric from months ago?

Obama is really upset not because of the above statements but, as he himself claims

What particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing

That and that alone is what angered Barack

by Wiseprince 2008-04-29 01:08PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

As Wright said, Obama is just a politician saying what he has to say. Wright has horribly wounded Obama, watching his press conf. I just kept saying "your only doing this because you HAVE too"

by rossinatl 2008-04-29 10:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

its pretty obvious this race will be over next week.  full on silly season.

by Trey Rentz 2008-04-29 10:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Yep. You Hillary supporters think Wright is a racist loon and anti-American - UNTIL he bashes Barack Obama. Then he's infallible! He's your kind of guy, worth defending!

by Democratic Unity 2008-04-29 10:49AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Let me say, your logic is fallible. Your conclusion, untrue.

by RickWn 2008-04-29 11:03AM | 0 recs
Throw the Rev. under the bus!

Oh man, that makes no sense at all!

You Obama supporters think Wright is totally justified and quoted out of context - until Obama throws him under the bus - and then all of the sudden Wright deserves it?

Politics doesn't get any more entertaining than this!

by dMarx 2008-04-29 12:14PM | 0 recs
And Mark Penn does not Count?

Barack is truthful and authentic, something Hillary never has been nor will be.

As for Rev. Wright's part, it seems he was tempted and took the bite to go take part in this media blitz, surely knowing it would cause more sensation and not be helpful to Barack Obama, by Hillary supporter, Rev. Dr. Barbara Reynolds from Maryland.  Who has endorsed Hillary on her website -- Reynoldsnews.com!

(1)  Is it true that Hillary surrogate, Congresswoman Shiela Jackson Lee, is also a devotee of Rev. Dr. Jeremiah Wright; that he's been preaching at her home church, where she is actively involved, annually for the past 15 years and has an open invitation to return, and, that she sat in the pews for his visits and did not bat an eye? AND  (2)  s it true that Hillary surrogate, Rev. Marcia Dyson was not only a longtime member of Trinity United Church of Christ but also still considers Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright her pastor? That Rev. Marcia Dyson's seminary education, in part, was sponsored by Trinity UCC and encouraged by Rev. Wright? And was it not at Trinity were she first met her husband, Rev. Dr. Michael Dyson, who's been very vocal in his defense of Rev. Wright.?  And, (3)  lastly to Hillary Clinton, that if Rev. Wright would not have been her Pastor, then why did she and Bill when going through Impeachment, turn to Rev. Wright for Prayer and Support and invite him to the White House? -- There was a time that Rev. Wright was "higly respected, had great influence and sought after, hence his trip to the White House."

Alas, Rev. Wright has definitely put a sword in his side. I now understand why Barack thinks some people are bitter -- he has been conditioned to think that way by the bitterness of his former Pastor, to think that some people are bitter, although Barack was not subject to this bitterness himself but was able to overcome this conditioning and escape it rahter incorporating ther engery of  inspiration goodwill and hope instead!  I hope we the people will not be blindsided by this onslaught directed at this Candidate of Change and Hope we have in Barack Obama and miss the boat again by allowing him to be "Swiftboated"!

by bacalove 2008-04-29 10:50AM | 0 recs
What bs!

Obama overcame Wright's mind control?  That comment really was fantasy.

Call Dr. Spokccfor a mind meld.  Quick!

by TomP 2008-04-29 11:06AM | 0 recs
Forgive him because he knows not what he says

He has been badly infected with the Obama cult virus.  One of the symptoms is that people start talking in absurdly abstract yet Utopian ways about the holy one.

by lombard 2008-04-29 01:13PM | 0 recs
Re:Barack is just a politician afterall

Ah, the old blame Bill and Hill excuse is back.  I wondered how long it would take to trot out. The jig is up. Go take out your anger on Rev. Wright.

by superetendar 2008-04-29 11:13AM | 0 recs
Waaaaaaa! It's all Hillary fault

And Hillary wrote Rev. Wright's speeches too.

~yawn~  The Obama followers are really boring me now.

by stefystef 2008-04-29 11:42AM | 0 recs
Troll-Rated

for "is it true?" with no links to back your allusions up.

by creeper1014 2008-04-29 11:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

I think Wright's statement that Obama is just doing what a politician has to do really pissed off Obama.  Because nothing Wright said in the last couple of days should really come as a surprise to Obama.  The only difference is that Wright kinda threw Obama under the bus and dismissed him as just another politician.

Also, Obama saying that he was outraged by Wright's comments on AIDS and Farrakhan could come back to hurt him.  I somewhat doubt that in the 20 years he's been a member of the Church, that Obama had never heard Wright say similar things.  And thats all it will take to really get the press worked up and probably end his campaign.

by KevinT 2008-04-29 10:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Interesting

When you said this to yourself, did yourself tell you that you had misspelled two out of eight words?

by deminva 2008-04-29 11:07AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Some of Wright's words are right and some are wrong.

As a factual amtter, I believe there is no evidence that AIDS was created by the US Government to use on African Americans.  Nor do I agree with his 9/11 comments or praise of Farrakhan.

But he is right on some things also, especially the continued oppression in this nation based on race.

by TomP 2008-04-29 10:40AM | 0 recs

by werd2406 2008-04-29 10:41AM | 0 recs
Actually, only one minority

group was enslaved for centuries.

I tire of the refusal of some to see racial oppression.

Hillary Clinton sees that racial oppression continues:

Q: Is race still the most intractable issue in America?

A: It is abundantly clear that race and racism are defining challenges not only in the United States but around the world. We have made progress. You can look at this stage and see an African American, a Latino, a woman contesting for the presidency of the United States. But there is so much left to be done. And for anyone to assert that race is not a problem in America is to deny the reality in front of our very eyes. You can look at the thousands of African-Americans left behind by their government with Katrina. You can look at the opportunity gap. So, yes, we have come a long way, but, yes, we have a long way to go. The march is not finished, and I hope that all of us, the Democratic candidates, will demonstrate clearly that the work is yet to be done. And we call on everyone to be foot soldiers in that revolution to finish the job.

Betsy, [Hillary's high-school friend], and her grandfather took Hillary to hear Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. speak at the Chicago Sunday Evening Club. King talked about racial segregation in the North and the South. It was the first time Hillary, then 14, grasped the notion of Negro children being the country's poorest and most vulnerable.
If there is a single developmental thread of Hillary's political, religious, and social development, it is her belief and determination that the tragedy of race in America must be made right. What in part first attracted her to Bill Clinton was her perception that he was an unusual, enlightened Southerner who wanted to go into politics and help right the country's greatest wrong. Hillary formed many of her closest friendships with blacks; her mentor was Marian Wright Edelman, founder of the Children's Defense Fund. Later, in the White House, Hillary chose several African Americans as senior aides.

Source: A Woman in Charge, by Carl Bernstein, p. 31 Jun 5, 2007

1962: met MLK Jr. preaching a sermon in Chicago
In 1962, Don Jones, the youth minister at Hillary's church took Hillary and her class to hear a speech by Martin Luther King Jr. The civil rights pioneer preached a sermon titled "Sleeping Through the Revolution," and the experience gave Jones the opportunity to leave another indelible mark on his pupils. "I wanted them to become aware of the social revolution that was taking place. It was an opportunity for them to meet a great person. Park Ridge was sleeping through the greatest social revolutio this country has ever had."
In his speech, Dr. King said too many Americans were like Rip Van Winkle, snoozing through the changes happening around them.

That night was one Hillary would never forget, particularly because of the moment after the speech, when Jones shocked the teen and her comrades by arranging to have them briefly meet with King. Later in life, Hillary would remark that these experiences opened her eyes "as a teenager to other people and the way they live which affected me."

Source: God and Hillary Clinton, by Paul Kengor, p. 17 Jul 18, 2007

1965: brought black classmates to all-white church

In 1965, Hillary invited a black classmate to attend church services with her at the Methodist church, a move that raised eyebrows. Don Jones later recalled that the Park Ridge Methodist folks were bothered because Hillary seemed to make the move "not out of goodwill" but simply to shock a "lily-white church." She told Jones she was genuinely interested in her minority classmates, and today, schoolmates like Karen Williamson speak warmly of Hillary: "She was a friend. As a black woman going to Wellesley at the time friends were very welcome. All the black students felt we had a close friendship in Hillary." They also sensed something more: "A lot of us thought Hillary would be the first woman president," said Williamson later.
It was Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination that produced one of the greatest shifts. The trauma seemed to catalyze Hillary's politics. Nevertheless, her classmates insist she was never a radical. Hillary was more willing to work within the system to change things.

Source: God and Hillary Clinton, by Paul Kengor, p. 28-29 Jul 18, 2007

http://www.ontheissues.org/Domestic/Hill ary_Clinton_Civil_Rights.htm

by TomP 2008-04-29 10:47AM | 0 recs
Re: Actually, only one minority

I have no objection to the text of your message regarding Hillary's position on race.

I do object to you saying only one group was enslaved for centuries. That is NOT historically accurate. We are most familiar with AA enslavement because it is recent and happened in the U.S. however slavey had always been around. Many different groups have been enslaved.

Some of the first African salves sold were actually already slaves in Africa. Just their owners sold them to European slavers.
Also Europeans from northwest Europe were taken and enslaved by Northern Africa is large number shortly before the African slave trade came into prominence.
For that matter here in North America some Indian tribes owned slaved from other tribes.

And yes many slave practices lasted for centuries.

by del 2008-04-29 11:52AM | 0 recs
In the United States.

As for your attempts to defend white enslavement of Africans, I find them odious.

Furthermroe, chattel slavery as practicied by Europeans on Africans was different in kind than slavery as practiced within the various African societies of the times:

The slave trade in Africa began long before the introduction of Europeans. Africans would enslave people for different reasons contrary to the modern stereotype, profit. According to the memoirs of an Italian born French slave trader, Captain Theodore Canot (also spelled Canneau) there are five principles for the enslavement of Africans by other Africans. The first reason for slavery was the prisoner of war. War between rival communities over land or for other fractions left people who were captured. These people were mainly adopted into the new culture, in order to increase the power of the dominant society; they were not only used for labor purposes.

http://debate.uvm.edu/dreadlibrary/mclea n.html

Your attempts to deny the American history of slavery and racism suggest that you need to look into your heart.  Saying otehrs did it, as you do, is a defense that racists used in the past.  Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I suggest you learn American history.

Your comments show me that Rev. Wright has a lot of truth in what he says, notwithstanding some of his errors.

by TomP 2008-04-29 01:34PM | 0 recs
And here we go.

The heirarchy of oppression argument.  My oppressed group has suffered more than yours blah blah blah.  It is so tiring and so unproductive.  There are women and gays that doubtless feel that they have suffered more than the other groups, so let's not even start following this line of discussion.

Discrimination/harrassment/physical violence against women and gays has also been institutionalized in most cultures, you know.

by jarhead5536 2008-04-29 01:41PM | 0 recs
That is not my argument. You create a strawman.

By the way, I am sick of whites who play that game.  If you lack understanding of American history, please study it.

I oppose sexism and homophobia, but you seem to want to whitewash American racism for your own purposes.

I call bullshit on such games.

by TomP 2008-04-29 01:51PM | 0 recs
Re: That is not my argument.

How odd, you assume I am white.  I am most assuredly a black man, as I have said many times in the past...

by jarhead5536 2008-04-29 02:38PM | 0 recs
women are not a minority group...

women outnumber men in most societies that do not practice female infanticide

by SevenStrings 2008-04-29 11:03AM | 0 recs
Re: women are not a minority group...

... and yet we've never had a woman president.

What does that tell us about a society where a representative of the majority has never been elected as a leader?

]{

by kristoph 2008-04-29 11:09AM | 0 recs
That you have a lot of work to do....

by SevenStrings 2008-04-29 11:11AM | 0 recs
Re: women are not a minority group...

Re: women are not a minority group... (2.00 / 1)

... and yet we've never had a woman president.

]{

Are you kidding?  It tells you that the majority of the people in that society have been brainwashed!

Now, excuse me while I go wash the dishes.

by creeper1014 2008-04-29 12:21PM | 0 recs
Re: women are not a minority group...

True, but it could also be pointed out that they have been enslaved since the gender difference was first noted.

by RickWn 2008-04-29 11:19AM | 0 recs
Re: women are not a minority group...

In some ways, yes.  Not the same as black slavery, but enslaved by society and men's rule, for sure.

by reggie44pride 2008-04-29 12:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

"Every minority group faces opression. Women, Blacks, Gays...sure it's true but it's nothing new."

oh well in that case lets not worry about it then
lets just sweep it under the rug and pretend it does not exist good idea

by wellinformed 2008-04-29 11:04AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

In what way are woman a minority?

by lojasmo 2008-04-29 11:13AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

In many, but certainly not all the states, women are a minority by definition of population. Nationwide, however, I believe that women are included in the broad descriptor "minority" because there is a very long and significant history of sexism and legalized discrimination against them. In addition to this history of discrimination, there is also an underlying sexism that is more or less condoned by the majority of Americans, many women included, that stresses how women should speak, how they should behave, what roles they should be fulfilling and promotes a very strict image of what a women should be... This underlying (often denied)sexism is deeply pervasive, as proved last week when the Senate decided to shelve the Ledbetter Equal Pay bill, the endless hammering of Sen. Clinton bc of her ambition or shrillness etc. and don't forget the lingering yet deep seated fear of passing an Equal Rights Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

by Misty Mountain Maggie 2008-04-29 11:32AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

That is true, but the United States has further duties and responsibilities and endeavors in the world than dealing with its painful racial divisions.  Race conflict and its derivate problems has its place, it has its urgency and need.  No more and no less.

At times we can and must make it our top priority.  But there is a question of how far to go, and how far we can really get, in this moment.

We have to admit that the cemetaries have a role in bringing peace.  The dying out of the worst perps and abusers (such as the KKK sorts) is part of the solution.  And likewise necessary for peace, sadly, is the healing or fading away of the hardest hit victims.

by killjoy 2008-04-29 11:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

wow what you said must either be really deep or
really stupid
"We have to admit that the cemetaries have a role in bringing peace"

so all we have to do is wait until everyone dies then it will be peace?

Faaaarrrr out maaaaaaaaan!!!

by wellinformed 2008-04-29 11:14AM | 0 recs
grandma?

So what happens to grandma now? /snark

by blueflorida 2008-04-29 10:41AM | 0 recs
he's irrelevant

imho. not as big of an issue as the action on the gas tax..

hm... someone decided to delete it..

by Trey Rentz 2008-04-29 10:41AM | 0 recs
Re: he's irrelevant

Yes. What happened to your diary? It was a great entry.

I guess the powers that be didn't want Hillary's pandering called out like that.

by PSUdan 2008-04-29 10:47AM | 0 recs
Re: he's irrelevant

The gas tax issue is your candidate in demo mode.

Clinton: repeal the gas tax, take a short term fix. Line the pockets of big oil. Similiar decision to her decision to support the war in Iraq.

Obama: No, don't repeal the gas tax. Work our way out of this as a country.

Clinton and McCain are friends on the issue of what to do with the Federal Excise tax.

Do you think McCain will help her campaign in NC?

by Trey Rentz 2008-04-29 10:52AM | 0 recs
Re: he's irrelevant

I don't know, but if he did I have no doubt what the recommended diaries from the usual suspects would talk about: how it's great to see her reaching across the aisle.

by PSUdan 2008-04-29 11:05AM | 0 recs
Re: he's irrelevant

Ahh FUD ...

Clinton wants a windfall tax on the Oil companies in addition to giving drivers the federal tax break.

So ...

Clinton: windfall tax on Oil companies, tax breaks for the people

McCain: tax break for the people

Obama: windfall tax on Oil companies

]{

by kristoph 2008-04-29 11:31AM | 0 recs
Re: he's irrelevant

would you mind posting any details about this windfall tax you're talking about - it seems as though we have another enron energy policy in the making.

how can you ignore a candidate who is going after a policy that will essentially pander to the oil companies, and to american voters - for votes ?

did you miss the fact that cutting this tax would hurt the effort to wean us from foreign oil?

by Trey Rentz 2008-04-29 11:35AM | 0 recs
If Obama throws Jeremiah Wright under the Bus

If Obama throws Jeremiah Wright under the bus, he can say bye-bye to NC.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-04-29 10:43AM | 0 recs
Re: If Obama throws Jeremiah Wright under the Bus

Why?

What black person is going to switch their vote to Hillary because of this? She's already bashed Wright...

Or are you implying that uneducated white people (Hillary's base) will flock to her after this?

by Democratic Unity 2008-04-29 10:51AM | 0 recs
Re: If Obama throws Jeremiah Wright under the Bus

How do you suppose that Obama will say "bye-bye to NC" if he throws Wright "Under the bus"?

Has it something to do with black people thinking a certain way? Or has it to do with whites who feel he must stand with Wright or fall? Fill me in, please.

by alex100 2008-04-29 11:02AM | 0 recs
the poster believes

that all black people think as he does.

by kindthoughts 2008-04-29 12:36PM | 0 recs
Re: If Obama throws Jeremiah Wright under the Bus

"If Obama throws Jeremiah Wright under the bus, he can say bye-bye to NC."

WRONG!!!!

NC has no ties Rev wright einstein

Obama was polling well before the rev wright story broke

you think Rev wright is a superdelegate or mayor in NC or something watch the news and find out who rev wright is and how he has nothing to do why Obama is polling well in NC

by wellinformed 2008-04-29 11:10AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

He dis'ed me so now I can throw him under the bus.

by Judeling 2008-04-29 10:43AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

i demand to know more about this bus that keeps being talked about.

For example, is it yellow? does it have a spare tire in the back? Does it have an interactive stop signal on its side? Are any Superdelegates aboard the ride?

by alex100 2008-04-29 11:06AM | 0 recs
Re: DUHHH its the short bus

that has a whole bunch of people under it from what I am hearing... based on what Hillary supporters say Obama for some reason like to throw people under that bus which is odd... it can't be hard to find a big pile of people with a bus on top of it

by wellinformed 2008-04-29 11:19AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

It's a green bio-diesel hybrid, assembled in North America. There are some SDs on the bus, but there are more waiting at the stop ahead waiting to see if this accident prevents it from finishing its route.

by Judeling 2008-04-29 11:21AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Wright didn't become an issue for Obama until Wright began hurting Obama in the polls. Guess what, this is about the voters, and how many saw Wright's rhetoric on Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton and the United States as an attack on their values. Obama needs to realize that he is running to represent us, he needs to take our opinions into account. That Wright makes Obama feel bad is irrelevant.

by souvarine 2008-04-29 10:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

When did Wright begin hurting Obama in the polls?

by Democratic Unity 2008-04-29 10:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Wright wasn't an issue for Obama until the media dug up every controversial comment made by the man, aired them for hours on end every day for weeks, and then spent days covering Wright's public speaking tour, where he continued to be as controversial as possible.

Oh, but I forgot that it's all Obama's fault. He must have forgotten to switch Wright to the OFF position. Sorry.

by Covin 2008-04-29 11:10AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Wright just joined Obama's grandma--under the bus. 20 years--my spiritual mentor, my book is named after one of his sermons--nope, nope, nope. This was horrendous. And I think it was a Huge mistake.

by linfar 2008-04-29 10:44AM | 0 recs

Let's be honest here.

There's absolutely nothing he could've done that would win your praise.

by PSUdan 2008-04-29 10:47AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

This is how the gotcha game works...

Everyone calling for Obama to throw right under the bus can no pivot effortlessly into charging this was just politics and proves Obama weak willed.

What I thought was remarkable about today's press conference was how a) it was done in the context of journalists asking and answering questions -- hardly a controlled environment and b) how even when apparently throwin his pastor under a bus, he maintained a sense of nuance and candor.

Once again, it's nice to be talked to like an adult.

by Pragmatic Left 2008-04-29 10:56AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Well, he could have dropped out and endorsed Hillary. I'm pretty sure that would be unassailable :)

by Lost Thought 2008-04-29 10:57AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

except that we would have the candidate that the republicans want for the democratic party -

the fact is, the GOP can completely unify their support against Hillary in the upcoming election but Obama saps their independents  -

the idea that there is a candidate that can truly be in washington at the behest of the american people is... well lets put it this way.

big donors and nepotism aren't going to get us there. so yeah. he'd be unassailable

but then again. so would the republicans.

by Trey Rentz 2008-04-29 11:38AM | 0 recs
cept

some polls suggest that isnt true anymore

by sepulvedaj3 2008-04-29 11:46AM | 0 recs

ahhh linfar

I got a question are you the Obama girl i always see on youtube ? if you are WOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW

your HOT

by wellinformed 2008-04-29 11:21AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Looks like Jerome was right.  He's been saying that Obama would eventually disavow Wright just like this, and here it is.

by Denny Crane 2008-04-29 10:44AM | 0 recs

Blood in the water . ..

by dmc2 2008-04-29 10:46AM | 0 recs
Why did he pray with him??

If it's true that Wright now is different from the person he met 20 years ago, why did Obama pray for him right before announcing his candidacy?  http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/30/us/pol itics/30obama.html

Obama knew the sharp edges of Rev. Wright and his handlers undoubtedly didn't want the link to be so visible, so they nixed the onstage invocation.  Obama just gave a political speech to save face.

by unabashed dem 2008-04-29 10:47AM | 0 recs
Re: Why did he pray with him??

OMG OMG OMG OMG WHY DID HE PRAY WITH HIM OMG OMG OMG

yawn

by Democratic Unity 2008-04-29 10:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Why did he pray with him??

Why is Penn still on Hillary's campaign when he was stabbing the unions in the back when he was lobbying for the Colombian government?  And why does Hillary stay with Bill who cheated on her with dozens of women over the years?  Bill Clinton cheated on Hillary with a young intern in the White House in the oval office.  How could voters even want this man back in the White House amazes me.

by Spanky 2008-04-29 10:58AM | 0 recs
Re: Why did he pray with him??

Why does HRC pray with Sam Brownback?

Is it possible that she can separate politics from religion?  Is it possible BO could do the same?

by Fluffy Puff Marshmallow 2008-04-29 10:59AM | 0 recs
Who the hell cares? n/t

by kellogg 2008-05-07 03:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Obama knows Wright quite well. He knows that the TUCC is based on Cone's Black Liberation Theology. He knows that it's racist. He knows that what Wright says is in keeping with what James H. Cone says and writes about in his books. To say he didn't know stretches the bounds of credulity.

It's right and proper to call into question Obama's character and judgement. He would be a dreadful nominee for the general and it's becoming apparent to those who need to know that before it's too late.

Hillary will be our nominee and I just put my money where my mouth is by contributing more to Hillary today.

by Nobama 2008-04-29 10:49AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Black liberation theology is racist? That's a new one. thanks Mr. Duke!

by Democratic Unity 2008-04-29 10:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

1) Black liberation theology is not racist.

2) That you would throw good money after bad is proof that you don't really understand anything.

by lojasmo 2008-04-29 11:22AM | 0 recs

ummmm newflash

Obama is half white  how can he be racsist ?

does Obama beleive he is only half superior to white people ?  hmmmm interesting you created a paradox

oh yeah what about the white people that are part of the church ? oh I get it they must hate the blacks that go to their same church

thats   brilliant nobama   you must be one of the uneducated voters that Hillary polls well with ( no offense to real Hillary supporters)

by wellinformed 2008-04-29 11:28AM | 0 recs
Under the bus

Wright finally goes. I'm much more optimistic of his chances if he is the nominee. he may have just saved his candidacy. i'm surprised he didn't do this two months ago when it could have handed him the nominee. Obama is a typical politician indeed for doing this, but better than being the typical Democrat nominee in the mold of HHH, McGovern, Carte '80, Mondale, Dukakis, and Kerry.

by DiamondJay 2008-04-29 10:51AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

We could all question Hillary's poor financial management skills and on how poorly she ran her campaign to judgment on what kind of a president she would be.  If she has trouble paying her own bills, how could she run a country???

by Spanky 2008-04-29 10:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

blah, blah, blah...more Obama supporters copitulated talking points. Let's talk about money. She ran how many millions behind Obama in PA and still scored a big victory. Almost identical situation in TX and OH. The bills will be all be paid in full very soon as she is well on her way to the nomination.

by corunner26 2008-04-29 11:02AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Hahaha, give me a break man. She won in a state where the demographics already favored a victory for her by 15%. Obama still closed the gap.

Money matters. Hillary had the nomination wrapped up before she even announced, and she blew it. You don't think that's an indication of incompetent leadership? You don't think Obama's ability to overcome Hillary freaking Clinton, whose nomination only six months ago was thought to be a given in this presidential race, says something about the quality of the campaign he's run?

How are those rose-colored glasses treating you?

by Covin 2008-04-29 11:16AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference
" The bills will be all be paid in full very soon"
Is this going to be how she handles the U.S. economy? Good thing the majority of voters don't trust her either.
by venician 2008-04-29 11:17AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference
Hillary had over a 20 pt lead in the polls before dropping one red cent into PA take that into consideration along with the fact that the Governor and the state dem party had her back along with the impact of the Bitter comments he had to outspend just to attempt to be competitive in PA everybody knew PA was Hillary's
only foolish Hillary supporters that bought into that spin that OBama outspent her he should have won  because all you have to do to win a election is to buy ads if you bought into that spin then will beleive anything my friend
by wellinformed 2008-04-29 11:36AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

the superdelegates figured this out. there has been a movement to Obama this week. He's picked up a few.

They're going to wait until after north carolina and then its lights out all over town.

by Trey Rentz 2008-04-29 11:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Not sure why he continues to insist on defending Wright

The more Obama condemns Wright, the more he risks alienating African-American voters who are not offended by Wright's message. Rasmussen has a poll reporting that 58% of African-American voters do not believe that Wright's comments are racially divisive:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_c ontent/politics/people2/just_8_have_favo rable_opinion_of_pastor_jeremiah_wright

by ryeland 2008-04-29 10:55AM | 0 recs

Not true.

African Americans are not idiots (as you imply). They may agree with Wright. But they also understand that Barack Obama is not all about that divisive stuff.

Either that, or they're idiots, as you imply. We'll see!

by Democratic Unity 2008-04-29 11:09AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

I wrote nothing to imply that African Americans are idiots. If a voter (of any race) believes that there is nothing racially divisive about Wright's comments and hears Obama condemn those comments and throw Wright under the bus, that voter may be less likely to support Obama. If a majority of black voters are fine with Wright, it's reasonable to assume that Obama's condemnation may hurt him with those voters.

by ryeland 2008-04-29 11:32AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Not to mention the danger that Wright will truly turn on Obama. What happens if Wright decides to tell the media what he already implies with his "Barack's a politician, saying what he needs to say to get elected" -- that he knows Obama has been aware of this stuff for years or even that he thinks Obama agrees with any of it.

by ryeland 2008-04-29 11:47AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Yes, what else could Obama do?  As you pointed out, he should have done more.  After all, even Rev Wright said last week, "he says what he has to as a politician".

And heck, even Karl Rove told him he had to do this.  Of course, we know he still holds out hope to run against B O, but the point is still that this is the absolute minimal he had to do.

Excpected.  Too little, too late.  He could have taken care of it appropriately long ago, instead of bringing him closer and closer, making him part of his campaign and not addressing the proper issue when he should have.

And why couldn't he say he oppopes Wrights claims, instead of reaffirming what Wright said is opposite of what he says. WE KNOW THAT.

", it contradicts my decisions to pursue public service, it contradicts what I've said in my books, what I've said in my convention speech . . ."

IT?

by LindaSFNM 2008-04-29 10:56AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

When will Hillary reject and denounce Bill Clinton.  After all she has associated with this man for years, and nobody is questioning this?  The man is an adulterer, and had sex with a young intern in the oval office for goodness sakes.  An intern, who by all accounts is still scarref from her association with Bill Clinton.

by Spanky 2008-04-29 11:01AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

the fact that you find it prudent to try and inject this disgusting and off base analogy into the conversation is just gross. Desperate any?

by corunner26 2008-04-29 11:04AM | 0 recs

No, it's a great point.

We're talking about guilt by association here. Well Hillary Clinton has been associated with Bill for more years than Obama and Rev. Wright....

by Democratic Unity 2008-04-29 11:10AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Democratic Unity.... my ass...

If you were really for Democratic Unity you would immidiately STOP trying to claw down the most successful Democratic politician our party has seen certainly in my lifetime, if not since JKF.

You can drink all the Obama kool-aide you want, but please stop using Limbaugh talking points because it really doesn't help out your whole "unity" idea.

by Misty Mountain Maggie 2008-04-29 11:37AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

One elected office in her entire lifetime does not make her the "most successful" Dem since JFK.  To the contrary, her inexperience and mismanagement led her to blow the massive lead she had going in to the primaries.  If she were so successful, why couldn't she stop this unknown from even gaining a toehold

by semiquaver 2008-04-29 12:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

I assume you're talking about Bill, and I'd beg to differ.

Politics isn't just about getting elected.  It's about enacting law once you are elected.

I'm happy to argue that, while he was not elected president when he ran in 1980, Edward Kennedy has been a far more successful politician than pretty much anyone in Congress or the Senate.  Take a look at the legislation he's authored, promoted, and influenced, and it certainly dwarfs Clinton's achievements as President.

If you're old enough to remember, former Speaker Tip O'Neill was about as great a politician as they come--perhaps even better than Kennedy.

LBJ was a far better politician than Mr. Clinton as well, as he sponsored and passed the Great Society bills, whereas Clinton pushed what?  Americorps?  Ok.  NAFTA? Great.  DOMA?

by Flynnieous 2008-04-29 02:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Seriously, I loved the economy of the Clinton years but when you ask his hardcore supporters to point to significant legislative achievement they freeze, and resort teither naoiming things which were waiting for him to sign the day he took office (FMLA) or were Republican (welfare reform), in fairness you could say that Clinton was the most prodigous GOP president of our lifetimes.

by Socraticsilence 2008-04-29 03:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

How many "turning points" can there be in one campaign?

I think the important thing here to realize is that it wasn't the media or voters who forced Obama to finally through Wright under the bus. Wright just gave Obama the excuse he needed to reject him.

by BlueGAinDC 2008-04-29 10:56AM | 0 recs
Curious

Did Fox News commentator seem to think it would be a turning point in favor of Obama, or in favor of Hillary?

I'm as fervent an Obama supporter as anyone, but I can't make heads or tails of whether or not that was an effective response.

by Hatch 2008-04-29 10:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Curious

I can't imagine they thought it was a turning point in favor of Hillary. I mean according fox news, Wright is an evil terrorist devil man himself, so I'd think that anything Obama does to distance himself from him would have to be good, right?

Then again, this is Fox News. Anything that a Democrat does is bad.

by BlueGAinDC 2008-04-29 11:02AM | 0 recs
The Church Lady Says:

That Barack Obama just talks, and talks, and talks, and likes the sound of his own little voice.

by BigBoyBlue 2008-04-29 10:58AM | 0 recs
Re: The Church Lady Says:

Bill Clinton likes to talk and talk and loves the sound of his own voice.

by Spanky 2008-04-29 11:02AM | 0 recs
Re: The Church Lady Says:

um. let me see if i have this right. two men, one named "little boy blue" and another named "spanky" are trying to interpret what church lady says ... about obama..?

wow. thats really something.

by Trey Rentz 2008-04-29 11:25AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

C'mon Barack, why so tentative, reluctant and weak? This is all so half-hearted you're getting rid of Wright. You need to give a good hearty shove to the Rev. So far you've only managed to ding the Rev's knee with the fender. You need to give the Rev a whopping shove and make sure that MSNBC is driving the bus at no less than 50 miles per hour. Then you need to run him over again for good measure. Don't worry its good practice for Putin, Ahmedinijad and all those pesky dictators you'll be meeting in you're first term. They need to know you know how to take care of business and so do we. Cheer up, at least, Mika, Chris, Andrea, Keith and all your supporters at MSNBC are cheering for you.

Beware, though a wounded lion. I suspect Wright has survived to fight another day. Makes Bill Clinton's alleged race card playing look positively amateurish. Rev Wright has dealt you the ace of race cards. And I suspect he's holding some more up his sleeve.

by superetendar 2008-04-29 11:02AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Movement in the right direction. Finally. I didn't see the press conference, so I've no idea how it went over. We'll see if its enough to assuage the mainstream media.... now, if Wright comes out after Obama again (like Sharpton just did), this could get real ugly.

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-04-29 11:02AM | 0 recs
How Could He Resist?

I predict he's back on TV before the end of the night.

by Hatch 2008-04-29 11:05AM | 0 recs
Re: How Could He Resist?

I did hear him say he's got a book coming out, no doubt, he's here to stay, and not willing to be the mere 'advisor'.

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-04-29 11:19AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

I think you've hit on something fairly important. I don't think this episode is over. Wright has many, many allies nationally among the black clergy and civil rights activist community. They are not likely to let Obama get away with this unscathed.

by blueflorida 2008-04-29 11:07AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Yes, it could re-ignite the whole "Barack is not black enough" debate. It is already happening on some of the black-oriented blogs, probably even more now.

Anyway, I do want to say that this is a good move by Obama, if it buys him the media believing he's separate. Sure, its late, and reflects very badly on his judgment, but better late than never.

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-04-29 11:22AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

If inflammatory African-American preachers get into a vendetta against Obama it would only help him politically.  It could only gain him support from white voters, while few African-Americans are going to follow Sharpton and Wright instead of Obama.

by CA Pol Junkie 2008-04-29 11:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

If they start publicly feuding, that might not be bad for Obama.

by mikeinsf 2008-04-29 11:26AM | 0 recs
I think he had to do this....it was the right move

and he had to denounce that idiot and distance himself from his idiotic theories.

I am sure that the internals (internal polling accessed only by the campaign) have showed a worrying trend over the weekend and yesterday. And this pretty much sealed the deal on that idiot Wright.

Senator Obama had to do what he had to do. He cannot be commander-in-chief and send our troops on missions around the world and associate himself with someone who thinks that our troops are a bunch of terrorists. What that idiot Wright said yesterday undermined Senator Obama capability of being a commander-in-chief and no one can tolerate that.

Let us see how this thing is going to evolve over the next week or so.

by likelihood zero 2008-04-29 11:03AM | 0 recs
funny pictures
by proseandpromise 2008-04-29 11:04AM | 0 recs

"yur"?

"sabotagin'"?

Bigot.

by mikeinsf 2008-04-29 11:20AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference
HA. Snark? Hope so. Oh the deep racism of lolspeak.
by proseandpromise 2008-04-29 11:23AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Yeah, ascribing malapropisms to pictures of animals is funny.

People of minority status...not so much.

by lojasmo 2008-04-29 11:26AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference
But if it was a white guy, no problem. Maybe I just don't get internet meme's. Capshuns seemed universal to me. My apologies. I thought it was a funny twist on "I'm in yur fridge..." Nothing racial intended. SRY
by proseandpromise 2008-04-29 11:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

hey I am black and I understood it was a joke

I am ashamed to say it but I  thought it was funny man   you ok with me

by wellinformed 2008-04-29 04:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Tood - I think the only reason Obama still defends Wright to some extent is because he doesnt want to alienate AAs. It seems that many AAs associate themselves with Wright (not saying it in a bad way, because after all Wright has his own charm whether we like it or not). Remember the black enough talks? If he starts belittling Wright too much in public, people will think he isnt black enough and that's why he is berating one of our respected reverends.

Just a thought:-)

by Sandeep 2008-04-29 11:07AM | 0 recs
Although...

I think a lot of these same people also saw the man going on TV and essentially sabotaging Obama's campaign right before an important primary and thought "Why is Rev. Wright doing this to Obama? He could singlehandedly keep America from electing its first black President." I have a feeling most people's sympathies are going to be with Obama on this one, I don't think he'll lose much African-American support for this.

by Hatch 2008-04-29 11:12AM | 0 recs
Re: Although...

Of course he won't loose any AA support. What an absurd notion. The problem is will he loose bedrock white Democratic support. We all know AA voters are going to support him under any conditions in the primary or general. That's not the issue.

by ottovbvs 2008-04-29 11:14AM | 0 recs
Re: Although...

If it's Wright versus Obama, sure, things could play out the way you say. If it's Wright + Sharpton + black radio + other black clergymen versus Obama, it could be very bad for Obama. Fortunately for him North Carolina is the last primary where he'll depend significantly on african-american turnout. And certainly, Sista-Souljah-ing Wright could pay dividends with whites voters.

by blueflorida 2008-04-29 12:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

This moves Wright from center stage to more of a Hagee position; Not really an issue, except for the hyper-partisans, who won't be changing any minds.

I think this move is a necessary part of the GE pivot to the center, just like the appearance on Fox News. It won't please some of his fervent supporters, but most of the country will say that he did the right thing.

by Lost Thought 2008-04-29 11:09AM | 0 recs
Enough with this train wreck.

Wright is going to have another press conference to respond to Obama for tossing him under the bus.

Obama should drop out so we can win this time.

by gotalife 2008-04-29 11:10AM | 0 recs
Barack Obama Press Conference

I can't help but think that Wright was not happy with Obama's speech back in late March/early April.  Wright had a right to defend himself, but watching his behavior over the weekend at the National Press Club and NAACP event showed him acting like a fool.  Instead of trying to repair his legacy, he's just in it for limelight.

by venavena 2008-04-29 11:11AM | 0 recs
looks like the wheels are

coming off the Hope Express

by sepulvedaj3 2008-04-29 11:12AM | 0 recs
Re: looks like the wheels are

Uh oh. look out. It looks like the hope express has turned into a 007 james bond car.

are those cannons ... omi gosh they're looking like they're aiming at someone... who is it..

by Trey Rentz 2008-04-29 11:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

It's just going to confirm opinions one way or another. Overall whichever way you cut it this has to be a negative for Obama. We'll see what happens next week in Indiana. If he gets a hammering I'd say he had problems.

by ottovbvs 2008-04-29 11:12AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Obama has to stop looking so pained -- like he is just saying these things because he has to. He has to look truly offended -- and he didn't.

And this isn't about what Wright did to Obama, but what Obama believes in relation to his pastor's beliefs.

Wright has been Obama's pastor for 20 years and after yesterday and Wright's press conference Obama suddenly found "religion" when it came to Wright and his divisive beliefs?

Give me a break.

I'll be writing in Hillary now more than ever after this weak spectacle.

by GregNYC 2008-04-29 11:13AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Here is what Obama wrote in his first book about meeting Wright 20 years ago.

In his 1993 memoir "Dreams from My Father," Obama recounts in vivid detail his first meeting with Wright in 1985. The pastor warned the community activist that getting involved with Trinity might turn off other black clergy because of the church's radical reputation.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custo m/religion/chi-070121-relig_wright,1,271 630.story?cset=true&ctrack=1&pag e=2&coll=chi-religion-topheadlines

More then a year ago, http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/30/us/pol itics/30obama.html?_r=1&sq=wright%20 obama&st=nyt&adxnnl=1&oref=s login&scp=11&pagewanted=3&ad xnnlx=1209496403-ypuuddps1F4S2sEEsAir6Q

"If Barack gets past the primary, he might have to publicly distance himself from me," Mr. Wright said with a shrug. "I said it to Barack personally, and he said yeah, that might have to happen."

Obama has been exposed as a typical politician who wants to have it both ways.
For a candidate who is running on his judgment, it shows a complete lack of one to feign ignorance after such close association with a pastor of 20 years.

by gomer 2008-04-29 11:14AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

I disagree.  A politician is a politician is a politician.  It's (some of) the Obama supporters who come off, to me anyway, as the hypocrites.  When Hillary or any other politician listens to constituents or potential constituents it is labeled "pandering."  The reality is that a democracy is about pandering in a sense.  One does not get elected to be a monarch or a tyrant and make the decisions FOR the people.  Their job is to listen to the people, hear what they want and if it is the correct course to consider it, and listen to more people....and correct course and more people.....  It is a REPRESENTATIVE system.
Senator Obama nor Senator Clinton are not going  to be representing ONLY one group....and should not.   But they should respect the views of all and understand that in most instances no one (not Wright, not Hillary's husband, not any one person is always right, nor always wrong).
Because so many Obama supporters on some blogs have been so sanctimonious, this is hitting hard.  For a few days several were defending any and everything Wright said because their Senator was not throwing him under the bus so to speak.
I had no problem with however the senator felt about Wright.  What I have a problem with is the sanctimony, the hypocrisy.  Senator Clinton has a lunch with Scaife and she was demonized...how dare reach out to a right wing skank like him.  She belongs to a Christian group...how dare her belong to that looney tune neocon Christian group is what I read.  What the h*ll?

What goes around comes around.  First of all, no one's religion or pastor should even be in the discussion. Secondly, Senator Obama is not perfect, and he is a politician.  He has learned how to compromise because that is what politicians have to do. In fact that is what people in a democracy have to do...compromise.  But somehow, the extreme right and to my disappointment the extreme left, see compromise as evil.  Apparently, these people want the tyranny of one side or the other to rule.  And this is what scares me.

by Jjc2008 2008-04-29 11:42AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

todd, judgement runs in a myriad of angles. I must admit, the whole Wright thing is a bit too oblique for me to grasp at. The man said questionable things about AIDS and some things that I quite find true.

But in terms of non-oblique judgement, pressing to go to war is a more important measurement for me. It's not one that prays upon the politics of tabloid"ism".

If you care to elevate the conversation, it seems that focusing on semantics isn't the way to do it. For instance, Obama saying that the man he has known for 20 years was not the man he recognized yesterday. We can fight about whether Obama is right or wrong in making such a comment but I guarantee you that grounded people will see through the b.s. shilled out in this diary and not care.

But in all honesty, what type of language would placate your sensibilities in this matter?

by alex100 2008-04-29 11:15AM | 0 recs
It would appear that .....

Obama is just as poll driven and focus group reactive as his supporters claim that Hillary is.

After all, it most likely is Obama's fall in the polls that caused this denouncement of Wright, not Wright's recent appearances or words, for they are just more of what has been said over a course of 20 years.

He's a politician, just like everyone else in the race.  Imagine that.  The Emperor has the same clothes as everyone else.

by emsprater 2008-04-29 11:17AM | 0 recs
Respect?

Demanding respect? Isn't that a little angry black man-ish?

What politician goes around throwing public pity parties because they were disrespected?

Doesn't that play into the impotent, waffling, wimp factor that is forming around Obama?

by ineedalife 2008-04-29 11:19AM | 0 recs
Re: Respect?

I think Obama handled this very difficult issue in a extrordinary professional manner.

I have more respecdt for him more than evcer.

Remember he got the war right well another politician was wrong from the beginning.

Having over 4,000 american's killed and 30,000 more wounded and billions of dollars spent for nothing pales in comparison to the Wright story.

by BDM 2008-04-29 11:43AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

So lets go back to Obama's wonderful, historical speech on race defending the Rev. Wright and the hate speech he supposedly first heard that was offensive to all Americans but understandable to Obama. Let's hear all the 'all black churches are like this' comments from Obama supporters. They are not.

I think Obama's come back will be giving the Rev. Wright a lot more air time and with some not so flattering things to say about Obama and if you only attend church services for nearly 20 years you know your pastor's views unless you are asleep or listening to the ballgame and not paying attention and their relationship went beyond just the sermons.

This is too little too late and only after HE felt disrespected by the Reverend. I think pretty soon we'll be hearing Obama say he only got married there and had his children baptized there but never attended the church.

by Justwords 2008-04-29 11:20AM | 0 recs
Dramarama in the OBAMA camp...

my gosh, all we have been hearing all primary season is that Hillary and the 1990's were all so, well, dramatic....

But after the last month, is there any doubt that the real drama belongs in the Obama camp?

Let's get serious. Obama has no serious chance at winning the GE with the albatross of Wright and Ayers hanging around his neck. If Hillary isn't the alternative, then let's come up with something, because we aren't going to the Promised Land with Obamadramarama.

by njsketch 2008-04-29 11:21AM | 0 recs
Re: Dramarama in the OBAMA camp...

Well, if it's not Obama, then we're screwed, because Hillary simply can't win it: soft AA support, high negatives, turned off youth vote, pissed-off anti-war vote.

Perhaps it's time reboot the 'Draft  Gore' movement?

by mikeinsf 2008-04-29 11:31AM | 0 recs
Re: Dramarama in the OBAMA camp...

you haven't seen the latest polls, i see.  hillary has a better chance of pulling this out than obama does, and her advantage is growing.  let's see if the incompetent dem party leadership manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by nominating obama, though.

by nance 2008-04-29 11:57AM | 0 recs
Re: Dramarama in the OBAMA camp...

There are different polls saying different things.  You can cherry-pick what you'd like.  Fact is, she went into this with terrible negatives that have gotten worse, she's alienated key groups in the Democratic base, and, oh, she's in second place.  She's a horrible candidate. Think about it: if Obama's such a terrible candidate, what does that say about her that she's losing to him?

If you loathe Obama, then you are better off casting around for Gore or someone else to get nominated at the convention.  Hillary's a hopeless cause.

by mikeinsf 2008-04-29 01:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Very strong speech by Obama.  Said exactly what he needed to say.

by RussTC3 2008-04-29 11:22AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

This is all going to be over next week. Make careful note who is your friend and who is your enemy.

Even better. Make note who is going to be eating humble pie.

And start cooking up some big slices.

by Trey Rentz 2008-04-29 11:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Rev Wright has not been helping Obama this week.  And now, Obama's come out to more fully denounce his statements and distance himself.  This is some tricky stuff.  I wonder how it's gonna play out...

Will African Americans and lefty-elites feel like he's thrown Wright "under the bus" (to use a phrase I've learned this political season)?  Will they feel angered/betrayed by this?

Rev Wright's suggested that Obama's only distanced himself because politically he "had to" (to play to white/rural America), simultaneously insinuating that Obama doesn't really mean it.  So, with Wright, himself, saying it's just a political maneuver, will those white/rural voters  "believe in" Obama's denunciation?

This press conference denunciation is, in fact, a distinctly "political" thing to do, and Obama's been campaigning as the "non-politician."  This makes him look more like a "politics-as-usual" kinda candidate...

by ahw 2008-04-29 11:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Obama only did this because he had to. His campaign is in real trouble with middle class white voters. The Youtube sermons have been out for a very long time.

Obama did this because he had to.

by cc 2008-04-29 11:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Wright is saying things that go against everything Obama believe in.  He didn't do it because he "had to", he did it because it's a complete misrepresentation of who he is and what he believes in.

by RussTC3 2008-04-29 11:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Really, do we know what Obama REALLY believe in or what he says in his speeches.

I could not go the church of a Rev. Wright or a John Hagee or Pat Robertson.  If Obama went to this church but didn't agree with Rev. Wright, it tells me he only attended Trinity Church for political connections, not spiritual connections.

The mask is slipping...

by stefystef 2008-04-29 12:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

I've got no problem with that, personally.  I wish that this country was capable of electing a president who didn't fall all over themselves to appear very religious, but we can't.  Claiming to be a churchgoer is a good and necessary way for a pol to shore up his support in certain very large demographics.  And a black Chicago politician is going to choose a black Chicago church.  All politicians wear masks, even this one.  That doesn't mean he's not the best candidate.

by semiquaver 2008-04-29 12:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

I liked what Obama said.  It was good.(And, I voted for Hillary (early voting) in CA. )   Obama seems to have the  political life of a cat.  He's on what number life,  maybe 4?  Whether you like him or not, or support Hillary, he will be the candidate.  This last press conference just proved it.  So, all of us who are still supporting Hillary, need to do so, BUT  WE NEED TO TONE DOWN THE ANTI-OBAMA COMMENTS.  The goal is the White House, right? I'll take either Dem over McSame any day. Hopefully you feel the same, or you have validated Rep Clyburn's point that Hillary wants Obama to lose the General.  I don't believe that, but unless we all stop the demonizing of the other Dem candidate, we will lose the W.H. for ourselves.  Support your candidate, but lose the negative talk about the other Dem candidate!

by citizensane 2008-04-29 11:32AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

to tell you the truth, i agree. Obama has this resilience however because he simply speaks truth to power.

i am curious why wright decides to hop up into the public eye ... thats just strange. what is the point of him going public at this precise point in time?

very distracting. however. the real issue for me is the gas tax issue. clinton wants to pander and she did it before in her vote on the Iraq war - which she defends to this day despite being so wrong.

an 18 cent holiday? no thanks.
fix the real issues.

by Trey Rentz 2008-04-29 11:43AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

i am curious why wright decides to hop up into the public eye
He has a book coming out in November.  Let's hope to god it comes out after election day.

by semiquaver 2008-04-29 12:58PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

I don't feel sincerity from Obama at this point.
I think Obama and Rev. Wright talked about this and planned what he was going to say to the press.

I don't think this press conference will help Obama.  IMO, the damage is done.

by stefystef 2008-04-29 11:37AM | 0 recs

Are you kidding.

Yes, I'm fully sure that Obama and Wright said down and talked this all out.

Obama: Yes, go on national TV. Act like an idiot and throw a knife in my back.
Wright: Sure thing, then what?
Obama: I'll have a press conference and denounce you.
Wright: Sounds great!

Are you wearing a tin foil hat right now?

by PSUdan 2008-04-29 11:46AM | 0 recs

Are you kidding?

Yes, I'm fully sure that Obama and Wright sat down and talked this all out.

Obama: Yes, go on national TV. Act like an idiot and throw a knife in my back.
Wright: Sure thing, then what?
Obama: I'll have a press conference and denounce you.
Wright: Sounds great!

Are you wearing a tin foil hat right now?

by PSUdan 2008-04-29 11:46AM | 0 recs

stefystef

It's incredibly sad that you feel that way.  I don't know what to say except that.

by RussTC3 2008-04-29 11:57AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Oh, don't cry for me MyDDers
I'm just giving my opinion about his press conference.

I read many blogs and message boards and the tide is turning.  I feel sorry for Obama followers who can't honestly look at the damage that Rev. Wright has caused Obama.

by stefystef 2008-04-29 12:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Excuse me for choosing to NOT listen to the pundits who have been wrong since day one on every issue that's important to the American public.

The voters have shown in the past, and I believe they will again in the future, that the remarks have not hurt Obama.

On the other hand, pundits have declared the earlier remarks to be the end of the Obama campaign.  I still chuckle over the Lou Dobbs "panel" when asked by Mr. faux-Independent Dobbs how much damage the original Wright comments would cause Obama on a scale of 1-10.  One of the Democratic strategist's (a Clinton supporter whose name at the moment escapes me) declared it an 11.

Obama and more importantly the Democratic Party, will be fine in the end.  He'll receive a boost by the time this is all over and the Democrats will expand the house and senate in ADDITION to taking back the White House come Election 2008.

American's have had enough of these BS issues commanding the spotlight.  It's time for a change, and that change will begin with the Democrat in control of the House, Senate and White House.

by RussTC3 2008-04-29 12:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Voting McCain then huh, I mean if sincereity matters Hillary would never gotten elected to the Senate.

by Socraticsilence 2008-04-29 03:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

"I got to give a special shout-out to my pastor. The guy who puts up with me, counsels me, listens to my wife complain about me. He's a friend and a great leader, not just in Chicago but all throughout the country. So please, everybody, give an extraordinary welcome to my pastor, Dr. Jeremiah Wright Jr."

Obama may be the nominee, but if that is the case the Democrats will lose in November. I said it back in March: this stuff is too inflammatory and extreme to go away, especially with the kind of politics of personal destruction the Republicans practice.

No, it's HRC as the nominee or we lose to McCain. All of your hope cannot change what is obvious to anyone who has seen how politics are played in the last 30 years. Nothing magic is going to happen to make it vanish from the minds of Middle America. The Republicans are going to beat him with Rev. Wright mercilessly. If you do not believe this, then you are in denial.

by cc 2008-04-29 11:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

The problem is if HRC is the nominee the GOP is going to drag out every single negative thing they can about both Hillary and Bill: Assault weapons ban, gays in the military, "hillarycare", bimbo eruptions, the semen stained dress, the perjury, whitewater, Vince Foster, etc. As we all know it doesn't even matter if it is true as long as they get enough voters to believe it.

Sadly both potential Democratic nominees have some serious baggage in dealing with the media and the GOP noise machine come November. The question at this point is can either of them overcome it and beat McSame?

by ces 2008-04-29 04:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Jeez, why didn't he have this press conference back in Philly? I like Obama, I really do (I voted for him but am now neutral and hoping the convention picks someone else entirely). But he's so unbelievably naive. He doesn't seem to understand that everyone has an agenda, and many of them are out to get him. He needs to toughen up, FAST. How he managed to be a community organizer on the South Side I can't imagine.

by ColoradoGuy 2008-04-29 11:48AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

I suspect the average reaction to the current contretemps will be "If Wright is such a bad guy, why did Mr. Obama sit in his church for twenty years?

The public is beginning to view Mr. Obama through something other than rose-colored glasses.  What those of us who do not support him have been trying to say for months is that this man is simply not ready to be President of the United States.  John Q. Public is starting to see that.

by creeper1014 2008-04-29 11:51AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

And Hillary stuck by Bill even though he cheated on her.   Sometimes will stand by people who don't necessary deserve it.

No one is perfect.  The key is understanding when a change needs to occur and moving away from the person should a relationship no longer be in the cards.

by RussTC3 2008-04-29 12:21PM | 0 recs

HOW DARE YOU THAT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!1

by semiquaver 2008-04-29 01:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

In what sense?  Wright made controversial and inappropriate comments.  Bill Clinton DID inappropriate things towards a loved one.

by RussTC3 2008-04-29 03:53PM | 0 recs
whoosh /nt

by semiquaver 2008-04-29 07:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

he's still partially defending wright because rejecting him completely would alienate a big portion of the african-american community.  wright's more mainstream among aa's than farrakhan is, and a lot of the aa's he previously took for granted are likely to feel pretty disillusioned by obama's distancing.

by nance 2008-04-29 11:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

I'm African American and I never heard for Rev. Wright until this year.

I don't believe he speaks for anyone except himself.  Another self-important clown trying to be important.

~yawn~

by stefystef 2008-04-29 12:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

do you support obama or clinton?

by nance 2008-04-29 12:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

stefystef, never mind--i just checked out your comments.  i love you.  :)  it's gotta be hard supporting her as an aa.  i have a ton of respect for you.

by nance 2008-04-29 12:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

As as black woman, it's not hard to support Hillary.
It's quite easy actually, because I see beyond race and gender and can see the right person for the Presidency of the United States.

Hillary picked up another superdelegate today:
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2 008/04/29/958278.aspx

Now this race gets interesting.

by stefystef 2008-04-29 01:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

wow nance your racsism is amazing

I guess I should thank all white women that voted for Obama  I wonder how hard was it for them to do it  I mean come on to vote against your on kind how can people do that ?

by wellinformed 2008-04-29 04:11PM | 0 recs
Barack Obama Press Conference

It's official, I think neither one of our candidates is electable.

by venavena 2008-04-29 12:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Stop being a defeatist and listening to the nay-sayers in both camps.  Of course each wants you to believe the other is unelectable. But the TRUTH is, either Clinton or Obama will be victorious over McSame.  We as Dem supporters need to stop the negative campaigning and focus on the positives. And, whichever side you are on, you must be prepared to eat crow and support the nominee--unless you are creepy and want McSame.  I can't wait until the primary is over.  Then whichever candidate it is can  spend time concentrating on McSame, and the losing candidate can do repair and bring his/her faction to the convention and show support.  I wish all of the blogs would incorporate rules not allowing trashing of fellow Dems.  Think how powerful that would be in  helping in the General Election!

by citizensane 2008-04-29 12:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Yeah it is a turning point. It is the turning point to Hillary becoming the nominee.

It just shows more and more what Rev. Wright said is true that Obama is a politician and says what he needs to in order to try and get elected.

Obama saw that Wright was going to destroy his campaign and he had to come out like this against him like a good politician would do.

by CMFost23 2008-04-29 12:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

%^( it all Obama should have come out and denouced and rejected Rev Wright for his offensive comments about Bill and Hillary Clinton just a few months ago.  To do it now when *he is the one being insulted is beyond lame.  He is a pandering little jerk and if anything his cover his own ass actions today make him look even worse than he did before.

by JustJennifer 2008-04-29 12:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

I say that the MyDD community should make a comprehensive list of every pastor/preacher/rabbi/whatever that has said some horrible things about America, about our government, or whatever else someone may fake outrage over. We can then put the whole list together and when anyone announces a run for the Presidency we can cross reference their church affiliation with our list. As we are a hyper-sensitive society that is so easily offended it will be quite a list to be sure. And we may even find a seriously depleted roster of talented politicians. But what is the alternative? If we can't expect to have a candidate who has never affiliated with the more extreme elements of our society why should we even pay attention at all. So if the church of a Presidential candidate is on our list we can kindly nudge that candidate toward not running at all. I mean, why let the candidacy of a seemingly strong Democratic candidate, maybe the strongest in a generation or more, even get off the ground. Lord knows Rev. Wright would have been right on top of our list. We could have saved ourselves a lot of time and cyberspace. I'm just sayin....

It will be something to look back at all this some day when the next generation is looking back on this moment and they ask us all quizically how it came to be that this candidate couldn't ascend to the Presidency at this time in our country's history and the answer will inevitably be that he went to the wrong church.

by AHunch 2008-04-29 01:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

Yep best stick to bland people who have never taken any risks in their lives, never made any mistakes.

Gov. Gary Locke is the future of our party ... heaven help us.

by ces 2008-04-29 04:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

To me this is more about weakness more than anything. I thought the problem with Barack was inexperience and one day (2012 or 2016) he would be ready to make a fine president. I no longer believe that he has the mettle for this I would have respected him more if he'd stood his ground.

Following on from caving in to Fox News, nbeing "bored" by the campaign and being frightened to debate Hillary, this doesn't show Barack in at all a good light, especially with some of the constituencies he is having trouble convincing. And how much of the MSM adulation is going to continue after this display of weakness?

by zebedee 2008-04-29 02:01PM | 0 recs
Name That Loon In 20 Years!

Obama's press conference was a farce!

It took us all one day to know that Wright was a nut. Why the hell did it take Obama 20 years to figure it out?

And don't get me started on the fact that he and his wife took their kids to hear this loony toon speak!

by BigBoyBlue 2008-04-29 04:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Name That Loon In 20 Years!

umm because he knows more about wright then you do from a 30 second sound byte

by wellinformed 2008-04-29 05:01PM | 0 recs
Too Little, Too Late, and proof

that Obama will do and say anything to get elected.   Does he really expect the American people to believe that he knows more today about Rev. Wright than he knew back on March 18 when he delivered that disingenuous speech on race?

It's getting highly annoying to be dragged through the psychological development of an adolescent presidential candidate.

by miker2008 2008-04-29 05:02PM | 0 recs
Tired and Sad

All of this drama lays at the feet of Obama and he will just have to learn to deal with it effectively.  I liked the presser because as John Stewart said a long time ago 'wow, a politican that speaks to us like we are adults'.  I know it doesnt work in the soundbite world, but I like seeing it in full.  Plus I like to see Obama get a bit angry, I think he should do it a bit more.

In any case, Wright is now, and always will be, Obama's Albatross - and there will be more because no politican can go through life without accruing several.  Wright is no longer something that he can get away from.  The good thing is its not earth shattering in any way, but it takes the shine off.  Every politican has them.  McCain - Keating 5, 100 years in Iraq, 'I dont know much about the economy'.  Clinton - Bosnia, 90's Scandals (you know if she is the nominee), etc.  Wright is now essentially Obama's first BIG permanent negative and it now is what it is.

I hope this is the end of the Wright business outside of this general long term meme, but I know it will hurt Obama short term in both Indiana and NC.  And this is where it saddens me most.  I could care less how the republicans were going to use it because they will do what they do no matter who the candidate is, but in the dem primary season it is making me feel really unsettled from a general dem standpoint.

Im not concerned because Obama will lose luster or that he will lose IN and only win NC by a slight mragin, I could care less truthfully.  The problem I have is this issue staying in the forefront feels to me too much like a black/white thing.  We, or really the media, are talking too much about white voters and black voters and saying how much Wright will hurt with white voters and such.  And then to see polls move gives that dangerous talk credence.

I know there is a place for frank discussions about how blocks of voters vote and how they are affected by issues, etc.  But this issue is not being discussed in the backroom anymore or in the context of an issue where a confidant of a candidate is making inappropriate statements, its being openly discussed and put out there as a black and white thing as if it is almost a valid reason for whites to fly from Obama.  It seems to me we're almost creating a self fulfilling prophecy that the US is not ready to elect a black man.  And we are doing this in the democratic primary.

Please do not misinterpret what I am trying to say as claiming racism or race baiting.  But we are essentially starting to condone the thought that America is racist and people vote on racist beliefs and therefore we should validate that and not choose the black man.

I am not naive babe in the woods, I know racism exists but it just feels awful.

And I am not accusing anyone here or in the Clinton campaign of racism or race baiting.  I am just stating how I feel the media narrative seems to be developing for me.  I think everyone here, for the most part, has valid issues with Obama or valid reasons to support Clinton, but we should all be dismayed with the dangerous path this issue is heading down in the media and we should not embolden it.

If this craters Obama I will of course be hurt, but I will pick myself up and dust myself off and vote D as usual.  I dont think it will crater him, but it will hurt and its his to bear.

Truthfully though, all I think this does is tighten the last few contests and doesnt really affect Obama too much.  Its not like Wright is new on the scene or anything, its just the continuation of on ongoing drama (although thats never a good thing).  It will keep the supers on the sidelines longer and further cement the fact that the primary is going to the convention, which is the worst outcome in my opinion.

But what will be will be.  The next week will, as always, be interesting.

by pattonbt 2008-04-29 06:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama Press Conference

"he still refuses to entirely throw Wright under the bus. Not sure why he continues to insist on defending Wright: 'I continue to believe Rev. Wright has been a leader in the South side, the church he has built is outstanding, I think that he has preached in the past some wonderful sermons...' I'm glad to finally see him get exercised:"

You are kidding, right?  The reason he defends Wright on those issues is because they just happen to be true and because Obama is an honorable man.

It is utterly amazing to me how even on this site, the posters seem to have thrown the concept of separation of Church and State out the window and  are holding Obama to a standard to which no White candidate is ever held.  What about Hillary being a member of The Family?  Why is no one exercised about that?  Why does no one comment on the fact that Hillary's own pastor defended Wright as an impressive church leader?  Why is no one exercised about McCain seeking the support of Hagge?  Mike Huckabee is the only political person I have heard take a humane and reasonable position on this issue.  Namely as long as a man is doing no active harm to another, his mode of worship should be his own business.  ENOUGH already with this whole business.  It has always been and remains a canard.  Nations get the leaders they deserve and we are about to do it again, if we continue down this utterly arsine road.

by Annabella 2008-04-29 10:14PM | 0 recs