McCain and the Women's Vote

In 2004, George W. Bush lost the women's vote 51 percent to 48 percent. In 2006, the Republican Party lost the women's vote by a significantly larger margin, 55 percent to 43 percent. So what is John McCain's plan for wooing back women, who made up 51 percent of the electorate in 2006 and 54 percent of the electorate in 2004? Aside from running on a hard right anti-choice platform -- which, by the way, would likely lead to the swift overturning of Roe v. Wade (protecting a woman's right over her uterus), and perhaps even Griswold v. Connecticut (ensuring a right to contraception) -- McCain is joining other reactionary Senate Republicans in opposing equal employment rights for American women.

Republican Sen. John McCain, campaigning through poverty-stricken cities and towns, said Wednesday he opposes a Senate bill that seeks equal pay for women because it would lead to more lawsuits.

The Senate had scheduled a late Wednesday vote on the measure, which would make it easier for women to sue their employers for pay discrimination. Both Democratic presidential candidates, Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama, were leaving the campaign trail and returning to Washington to vote for the bill.

McCain was skipping the vote to campaign in New Orleans.

[...]

"At a time when American families are struggling to keep their homes and jobs while paying more for everything from gasoline to groceries, how on Earth would anyone who thinks they can lead our country also think it's acceptable to oppose equal pay for America's mothers, wives and daughters?" Democratic National Committee spokeswoman Karen Finney said.

This is a pretty simple bill, though it has wide ranging impact. Last year the Supreme Court greatly inhibited women's ability to recover legitimately earned wages in situations in which their male co-workers earned significantly more than them for the same work. What's more, and to underscore, this was a legal remedy available to women before this Supreme Court decision, so Congress is seeking only to restore that power to American women all around the country.

Republicans have decided to filibuster this bill. Apparently the idea of female workers earning a just wage is sufficiently noxious to some that they would use the most extreme of the procedural tactics at their disposal in order to stop this legislation from moving forward. And John McCain, walking lock-step with the far right within his party, is opposing this legislation as well -- though he doesn't even have the decency or honor to go to Washington to make his vote on the matter official.

Apparently, this is how John McCain believes he's going to be able to win back at least some of the women voters lost to his party in recent years. Good luck with that, Senator.

Tags: 2008, John McCain, Women (all tags)

Comments

Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

But but but all those working class white women will vote for McCain because Obama said something about being bitter and was preventing Hillary Clinton for being nominated!

by elrod 2008-04-23 03:43PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

Did you really feel there was a need for this kind of shot in a diary that is pro-democrat and anti-McCain. Can't you just let it rest even a little bit?

by pollbuster 2008-04-23 05:55PM | 0 recs

wow, John, just wow

I don't know what to say but are we really surprised anymore?

he is pandering to the Right, John McCain is a Republican now, no more maverick those days are gone.

by TruthMatters 2008-04-23 03:45PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

I don't think he finds it difficult to pander to the right. In fact, I think he feels quite at home doing it.

by pollbuster 2008-04-23 05:57PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

McCain's plan is to make sure that Obama gets the nomination

Keep it Simple Stupid(KISS) Then, All his women troubles disappear overnight.

He would then carry white & Latino women in big numbers.

by labanman 2008-04-23 03:48PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

wow, you really think he will carry women after this?

heh, I just don't know whats sad

that you literally are saying McCain can walk all over women and they will vote for him.

or the fact that you just may be right.

by TruthMatters 2008-04-23 03:53PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

Really? Are white and Latino women that stupid? I think not. Non-Republican women are not voting for McCain. McCain's appeal is among white men with a military fetish and the very wealthy Republican elite.  He has no appeal among women. Even Bush had some appeal among women - especially religious women. McCain doesn't have that. He's Bob Dole to most women.

by elrod 2008-04-23 03:55PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

As I told the Obama supporter, there is no need to take intra party shots in this kind of diary. Can't we have even one diary that just concentrates our vitriol towards the repugs?

by pollbuster 2008-04-23 05:59PM | 0 recs
Yeah, the'll come running to McCheese

who divorced his old lady and remarried Cindy within a month. Yeah Johnny McCheese is gonna be a favorite with the women...

While I will be first to admit their is too much off putting rhetoric from Obama supporters (Cafe Press I hate your damn "Bros before Hos" shirts). Senator Obama himself is a candidate that will win over women voters of all stripes.

by Stumptown Dave 2008-04-23 08:34PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

Both Obama and Hillary returned to DC to vote for the bill! Unity at last! ;)

by Huck 2008-04-23 04:09PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain loves Democrats fighting

And his campaign folks just love it that the Democrats are fighting.  They think they're going to win the general election between March and June:

"Every day they run a primary campaign, we run a general election campaign," explained Mark McKinnon, McCain's senior media adviser, as the campaign bus rolled through Kentucky. "And every day we run a general election campaign is a good day for us." That was not all. McKinnon, who used to work for George W. Bush, said he saw an historical analogy. The spring of 2008, he claimed, was shaping up to be as fruitful for Republicans as past cycles.

"In the Bush campaign we used to say that we won the campaign in 2000 and 2004 between March and June," McKinnon said later in the day. "And I think the way things are going we could say that McCain won this election between March and June."

by politicsmatters 2008-04-23 04:10PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

Any time you come across either a Clinton or Obama supporter who talks about not voting if their choice is the nominee, or voting for McCain, point them at this story.

Both of our potential nominees are miles ahead of what the other side has to offer.

by mascho 2008-04-23 04:12PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

Err...not voting if their choice is NOT the nominee.  Sorry about that...

by mascho 2008-04-23 04:12PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

not voting is their choice

but for a democrat to say yeah THIS is the guy I want to be president.

that is just wow, well I am a man so the bill didn't help me, if women want McCain over Obama, then they also endorse his stance on this bill as is their choice.

they speak with their votes, can't blame em for it.

by TruthMatters 2008-04-23 04:15PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

I discussed this Supreme Court decision with several conservative friends at the time.  They all agreed that it was a complete crock.

This just reaffirms that the Republicans are and always will be the party of big business above all else.  There's no way this fight is an electoral loser for the Dems, as long as they stick to their guns.

by Steve M 2008-04-23 04:35PM | 0 recs
Working class white women who vote

for John McCain in the Fall do it at their own peril.

by puma 2008-04-23 04:36PM | 0 recs
McCain & women

An example of how Senator McCain thinks about women:

At one point, Cindy playfully twirled McCain's hair and said, "You're getting a little thin up there." McCain's face reddened, and he responded, "At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you cunt." McCain's excuse was that it had been a long day. If elected president of the United States, McCain would have many long days.

http://matthewyglesias.theatlantic.com/a rchives/2008/04/trollop.php

In my opinion, this is McCain's "macaca" moment.  Anyone who would think and say something this offensive and heinous has disqualified himself from being the President of the United States.

by mboehm 2008-04-23 04:50PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain & women

It's his macaca moment if video drops between now and November.

With no video its pretty much a non-story.

by bawbie 2008-04-23 05:31PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain & women

There is video of a supporter asking McCain "How do we beat the bitch". He smiled and took it as a perfectly reasonable question.

by hankg 2008-04-24 04:31AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

Filibustering against women -- yep, that attracts my attention.

His charming "cunt" remark, too.

Not to mention his famous "joke" about Chelsea Clinton.

by No Blood for Hubris 2008-04-23 05:33PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

Nice try, Mr. Singer, but if Obama is the nominee, women will not forget the mountains of sexist crap that Obama, some of his supporters, and the media have thrown at them. Olbermann, Matthews, Barnicle, Randi Rhodes, Huff Po, 99 Problems, periodically, the kitchen sink, a million KOS diaries, the cover of The New Republic, I mean it just goes on and on and on and on and effing on.

You think BIG SCARY MISOGYNIST McCain is going to be the magic pony that will heal all the wounds that have been inflicted on Clinton supporters by Obama & Co?

Pft, you're so naive.

by cc 2008-04-23 05:46PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

Vote for McCain.  That'll show us!

by Skaje 2008-04-23 05:59PM | 0 recs

What the hell?

What has Obama said that is "misogynist"?

I guess I missed that accusation.

I sure hope cooler, saner minds prevail before November.  If women as a block vote against their economic AND civil rights interests, it will be an incredible shame.

by bawbie 2008-04-23 06:02PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

ah....yes he is the pony...
You have every right to speak as a woman for yourself cc...

But most of the same intelligent women who supported Clinton, will join the intelligent women who support Obama and make sure Democratic women are the block defeating McCain.

by nogo war 2008-04-23 05:57PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

I am sincerely interested to know what Obama has done that has seemed sexist.  I'm not being confrontational, I just haven't heard of anything and I would like to know.  Maybe I should be more informed... but I'm not.

by goodleh 2008-04-23 06:43PM | 0 recs
Did they cross paths?

Any photo op of Obama and Hill running into each other on the Senate floor today?  They both gave speeches before the vote.

I think Harry Reid should allow the GOP to bring an anti-illegal immigration bill before the Senate to force John McCain's hand.  Though the bill will probably be popular with the majority of America, if John McCain were to vote yes on the bill, Hill will be able to paint him as a flip-flopper, which is probably the worst character-trait you can have as a candidate (e.g. John Kerry).  If I were advising McCain, I'd just skip the vote.

by Blazers Edge 2008-04-23 07:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Did they cross paths?

See, John McCain has been skipping lots of votes for just this reason, and it's been working for him! He gets to pander to the people whose votes he needs without actually having to go on record as having voted a certain way.

See, all the Senators vote, but talking about a position with voting on it, well, that's what a Maverick does.

by CrazyDrumGuy 2008-04-23 07:25PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

So "The Party" is going to throw out a symbolic vote on a bill that they know Bush will VETO, it has zero chance of becoming law, so they can throw a token "BONE" to women. Now we are all just supposed to fall in line, because the misogynist wing of "The Party panders to us with a bill that has a snowballs chance in hell of becoming law. Can you say "wag the dog". Sorry the Kerry, Kennedy and JJ Jr wing of "The Party" have shown their true colors and pink isn't one of them.

by RedstateLib 2008-04-23 07:54PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

Its kind of like when the racist when of the party pretends it doesn't loathe black people.

by Socraticsilence 2008-04-23 07:58PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

When I meet those racist democrats I will proudly call them out. Can you say the same about the sexist?

by RedstateLib 2008-04-23 08:02PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

Sure if I see any them I'll call them out but I can' t find any so far.

by Socraticsilence 2008-04-23 08:20PM | 0 recs
Vote Present

Those who are thinking of sitting out the election or voting McCain if Obama is the nominee, don't. Show up on Nov. 4th and proudly write a vote of  "present". Send a message load and clear if it's good enough for him it's good enough for us.

by RedstateLib 2008-04-23 07:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Vote Present

That should have read "loud and clear"

by RedstateLib 2008-04-23 08:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Vote Present

Good one, and if Hillary's the nominee we can right in the anme of somoen form our state who died in Iraq.

by Socraticsilence 2008-04-23 08:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Vote Present

Err, Good one, if Hillary's the nominee we can write in the name of someone from our state who was killed in Iraq.

by Socraticsilence 2008-04-23 08:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Vote Present

Voting "present" isn't what you think it is.  Please learn about Illinois legislature before you go around slandering its politicians.

by Homebrewer 2008-04-23 09:06PM | 0 recs
Well, what can we expect from the man...
...who called his wife a "cunt" and a "trollop" and has happily shed his maverick image in favor of becoming the far-Right's lap dog?
by sricki 2008-04-23 08:18PM | 0 recs
Dinner with Republican douchebags

I work for a company that is 99% Republican. There is a Democrat contingent, but we're in the closet, so to speak. So I'm at a department dinner tonight with 6 men in their upper 40s to mid-sixties. Wealthy white men. I'm the only female amongst 6 men.

Someone brings up the PA primary and mentions Hillary's win. One of the VPs who I thought was a Democrat and who knows I am says out loud "Be careful, Dari (substitute with my real name) is a big Hillary supporter". The table fell silent. I've been outed. My boss (who promoted me and whom I have a good relationship with, but have never had a political discussion - he actually has a photo of himself with the devil himself, Dick Cheney) turns to me and with a look of disgust on his face says "Are you kidding? Why in the world would you support that bitch?" Silence. "Are you serious? Tell me why you support that bitch".

The silence is deafening. I can't believe this is happening. What year is this? Who are these people? Is this really appropriate discussion at a work dinner? I'm so stunned I say nothing. No one else says anything. So incredibly awkward and terrible.

I couldn't decide whether I wanted to stab him with my steak knife or run out the room. Needless to say, it was a low point in my career and as a woman.

If Obama wins the nomination, I will make sure that any woman I come into contact with understands that voting for McCain is saying "Yes, I'm okay being a second-class citizen". I want Hillary to be President, but I will not ever vote for a Republican and any woman who does needs to get their head examined.

And I guess I need to find a new job. :-)

by Dari 2008-04-23 10:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Dinner with Republican douchebags

Wow, Dari.. that is really terrible.  What a hostile work environment.

The GM at my company is a big Republican.  He is also a good old boys network type of guy.  Whenever I know I am going to have a meeting with him that day I wear my Hillary shirt to work.  :)

by JustJennifer 2008-04-24 10:32AM | 0 recs
Too many lawsuits

If McCain is really worried about the courts getting a backlog of these cases, maybe the evil fucker could try to make sure that women aren't discriminated against at will? Or would that be too difficult?

by Englishlefty 2008-04-24 02:36AM | 0 recs
Matter-of-Fact Misogyny

I think Anglachel says it best today in her post, Party Rules and Political Reality:

I don't think the majority of Obama supporters (not even Big Tent Democrat, who is to be commended for his impressively clear-eyed view of the campaign) really grasps the damage that has been done with the false claims of rampant racism. Yes, there is probably some, but it is no where near as prevalent on the Left as the misogyny that gets thrown around without apology. Given voting habits, Hillary probably has greater defections due to her gender than Obama does due to his race. The overt and callous misogyny exhibited towards HRC is also going to have significant fallout in the party. The combination of these two - baseless accusations of racisim coupled with matter-of-fact misogyny - are not things that will easily be set aside. Obama can lose, and the party will continue to pay for his irresponsible campaign for several cycles.

Count on it.

by cc 2008-04-24 07:09AM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

hey jonathan, is this an attempt to threaten women into voting for obama?  i'm sorry to break it to you, but THIS democratic woman isn't falling for the ploy.  there are MANY reasons i won't vote for obama, and unfortunately for him, your threat re: mccain doesn't alter the calculus nearly enough.  nice try, though.

by nance 2008-04-25 08:55PM | 0 recs
Re: McCain and the Women's Vote

I am speechless.  Where is this anger coming from?

by skinny mcthin 2008-05-11 09:50AM | 0 recs