Barack Obama is No "Boy"

Here's Patrick Crowley:

The racially charged overtones of the Democratic presidential primary has ensnarled Congressman Geoff Davis after a comment he made about Barack Obama during a Saturday night speech.

During his talk at Saturday's Fourth District Lincoln/Reagan Day Dinner in Boone County Davis, a Hebron Republican seeking re-election, made the following comment when questioning the national security credentials and experience of Obama, an African-American from Illinois:

"I'm going to tell you something: That boy's finger does not need to be on the button," Davis said. "He could not make a decision in that simulation that related to a nuclear threat to this country."

Davis is taking criticism because referring to an African-American as a "boy" is considered by many as racist and pejorative. [emphasis added]

As Crowley notes in a portion of his post not reprinted above, the initial response from Davis' camp was that the Congressman "simply misspoke," a statement that did not include any sort of apology. According to First Read's Mark Murray and Mike Viqueira, the Davis team decided that such a response was not sufficient, and the Congressman himself subsequently sent Senator Obama a personal apology.

It's up to Barack Obama himself as to whether he will forgive Congressman Davis' statements, so I won't weigh in on that regard. What I will say is that certain language is just not acceptable in America today. I don't know what was in Davis' heart when he made the comments (though as Marc Ambinder says, "Davis's comments offend not because they demeaned Obama's integrity; they're offensive because, well, in 2008, for a white person to call a black person 'boy,' is generally seen as racist no matter where you are."). But what I do know is this: If the Republicans believe that they can get away with playing a nod-nod, wink-wink game over the issue of Barack Obama's race in a general election, they are going to be sorely mistaken. The American people simply will not stand for a situation in which a candidate is attacked or called names on the basis of his color of skin, or even if an attempt is made to caricature a candidate's race as an attempt at a joke (calling him "Tiger Woods" or the like). What's more, we the people will ensure that the worst offenders will not be allowed to act as such with impunity. This is not playing the race card; this is ensuring that we don't take ten steps back as we attempt to take one or two more steps forward in trying to make a more perfect union.

Tags: Barack Obama, Geoff Davis, KY-04, racism (all tags)

Comments

Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

KUDOS . . . let us rally to defeat Geoff Davis and Mitch. I know it is a pipe dream, but I have HOPE!!

by Veteran75 2008-04-14 02:01PM | 0 recs
If Republicans really said that, its ugly..

But Hillary is still the better candidate..
anger against racism is not a reason to vote for somebody..

:o

by architek 2008-04-14 02:15PM | 0 recs
Re: If Republicans really said that, its ugly..

No, but its certainly a reason to vote against these idiots and their ilk. Either of our candidates will be far better than what the Republicans are putting up, and if you can't get past your myopia of the interdemocratic horse race and denounce this nonsense for what it is, then I feel sorry that you've gotten sucked in so far you can't see the forest for the trees.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 02:19PM | 0 recs
Re: If Republicans really said that, its ugly..

"If"?  "If"?  They did, in fact, say it, so stop trying ot qualify it.

Anger against sexism is not a reason to vote for somebody either.

by NewOaklandDem 2008-04-14 02:22PM | 0 recs
Re: If Republicans really said that, its ugly..

I think anger against racism is a good reason to vote as well as anger about sexism.  Why not? We vote on all sorts of issues.

by TeresaInPa 2008-04-15 04:39AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

Doesn't have to be a pipe dream.

Donate because nothing can stand in the way of millions of donations representing a call for change!!

by gcee 2008-04-14 09:39PM | 0 recs
My grandmother used to refer to any man

more than 10 years younger as "boy."

by internetstar 2008-04-14 10:00PM | 0 recs
Re: My grandmother used to refer to any man

Davis is 50, Senator Obama is 46.

Quit apologizing for this bigot!!!

by gcee 2008-04-14 11:06PM | 0 recs
Re: My grandmother used to refer to any man
Perhaps you're in the North.  Things can be a little different here.  Our bigotry is more often based on insularity and an ignorance of diversity or history.
I was working a lunch at the Marriott a few years ago.  Buffet, attended.  The Captain was this tiny young woman, hyperactive and all of 24, I guess.  Small, small function, just the Captain, one regular, myself and this other temp.  The other temp, it's his first catering gig, he's been through a whole career and now finds himself suddenly reduced.  A black man, uncomfortable in the new white tux shirt and clip-on bow-tie, short hair going gray, obviously determined to do this new job with the pride he's worked in all his life.
The Captain gives out the positions, and when she gets to the new guy, she looks up at him and chirps, "You get to be the Soup Boy!"  I froze.  He froze.  The Captain didn't notice.  I looked at the man, wondering what he was going to do, if there was going to be some correction.  I watched him realize that she had no idea what she'd said, and I relaxed a bit.  And then we served lunch.
I never saw the man again; he left the Agency, left the industry I'm sure.  I stayed on for long time, because I needed the money, because it wasn't my dignity at stake.
by Endymion 2008-04-15 03:05PM | 0 recs
Here is the origin.....
http://polwatchers.typepad.com/pol_watch ers/2008/04/republicans-tal.html
by nogo war 2008-04-14 02:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

Sounds like something that would have come from a Clinton campaign official

by reggie44pride 2008-04-14 02:04PM | 0 recs

NOPE . . . they ridiculed both DEMS ;o(

by FOB92 2008-04-14 02:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

Congratulations, you get the first HR I've handed out at MyDD.  I see Clinton supporters at MyDD decrying this jerk's obvious racism as well as Obama supporters.  That alone is one of many reasons why your comment is inexcusable.

As they say on Usenet, *plonk*.

Prog

by Progressive Witness 2008-04-14 02:14PM | 0 recs
If I had a sock puppet account...

I would rec you twice for plonk.  Or, one each for however many sock puppets I had.

by tonedevil 2008-04-14 02:29PM | 0 recs
Huh. Whe knew...

...that NewOaklandDem was your sock puppet account?

*grin*

by Progressive Witness 2008-04-14 05:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

Drop it. That kind of nonsense isn't excusable from either Obama or Clinton supporters.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 02:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

Sadly for the country but probably great for the party the republican noise machine will be doing a lot kidding on the square about sex or race depending on who the nominee is.

It will get ugly but I think a lot of people will remember for a very long time when they finally see the GOP's true colors.

by kasjogren 2008-04-14 02:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

I am looking forward to the Grumpy Old Party showing its true colors. They are going to get exposed as either racist or misogynist and it is going to absolutely kill them in November...

Great sig line by the way...

by JDF 2008-04-14 03:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

What do you expect from the GOP they stand for everything that is wrong with America.Diversity is not there calling card.These are elected officials who are suppose to represent what is good about America and not to regress back to the pre-civil rights era with its racist policies.Shame.

by Cristalgirl 2008-04-14 02:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"
Indeed. There are two political parties in America. One looks like America, the other looks like the membership of an upscale, private country club.
This is exactly what we have always gotten and should always expect from the country club party.
by LandStander 2008-04-14 03:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

is it bad that I actually had to think if WE were the country club party? Particularly as we see these insane funding numbers for dems, I am not sure we get to make these "you guys have all the money" claims.
On the weight of the checkbook, we seem well matched.

We are, ofcourse, smarter. :)

by hctb 2008-04-14 10:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"
It's ridiculous to think Davis didn't know what he was saying- he's been a politician way too long to let slip something like that.
He was playing to the crowd.
I hope they make a huge deal out of this and embarass the man right out of his House seat.
Veteran, I feel your pain- I live in Kansas.
by skohayes 2008-04-14 02:06PM | 0 recs
Prejudice Raises it Ugly Head Yet Again!

The Republican Party is a party that has many small-minded individuals and conservative which means stingy. They are narrow minded and unfortunately biggoted and it comes out now and then, and they think they can get away with it because they have not realized yet, the world has changed.

by bacalove 2008-04-15 02:16AM | 0 recs
I honestly think that he said it because
Obama does look much more youthful than he is.
He looks around mid thirties.
I guarantee he would not have said it about Jesse Jackson.
by internetstar 2008-04-14 02:07PM | 0 recs
This is a bad Jonathan Swift...

imitation or you are a jerkasaurus.

by tonedevil 2008-04-14 02:14PM | 0 recs
Black don't crack

I'm just sayin. ;)

by regina1983 2008-04-14 02:22PM | 0 recs
Re: I honestly think that he said it because

Please tell me you meant this as a joke/snark/tounge-in-cheek statement, because there is no reason to call anyone over the age of 10 a boy

BTW here is the way we beat this stuff, his opponent's website is http://www.kelley08.com/.

DONATE!!!!

by gcee 2008-04-14 03:05PM | 0 recs
Re: I honestly think that he said it because
All kidding aside, I actually think you are 100% wrong. I was looking at a photo of Obama in TIME last week and it was a close-up. The guy looks at least his age, (maybe  more). He has a mole next to his nose, more than a few gray hairs up top and a lot of lines in his face (maybe from smiling too much).
John Edwards, by contrast looks younger than Barack despite being 6 years older.
by xodus1914 2008-04-15 05:01AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

Glad to see this is front page. I take great offence that he has insulted HRC and Obama like this.

by Cristalgirl 2008-04-14 02:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

um...and how did he offend HRC?  I can't believe that certain Clinton supporters would defend the comment, feign uncertainty or try in some way to make this about Hillary.  It's completely bizarre.

by Tenafly Viper 2008-04-14 03:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

The rest of their comments about Bill and Hillary said "she hasn't been this worried since the new Hooters opened up down the street from their house" (paraphrased). Also derogatory and disgusting, as well as a mockery of the real issues people are facing today.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 03:25PM | 0 recs
oops, then that wasn't for you.

Oh sorry,  I hadn't heard the rest of the comments.  I thought you were saying that Obama being called boy would somehow relate to Hillary.

by Tenafly Viper 2008-04-14 03:44PM | 0 recs
Re: oops, then that wasn't for you.

Apparently not so veiled racist statements receive greater outrage than the "Hillary can't handle her husband's  peter rabbit" pile on.  Hmmm. not sure what to make of that.

I think they are both beyond the pale...

by hctb 2008-04-14 10:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

And they wonder why about 5% of Blacks are Republicans...

by Whash 2008-04-14 02:08PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

Hey, it makes me wonder why the percentage is even as high as 5%!

by Progressive Witness 2008-04-14 02:10PM | 0 recs

by Progressive Witness 2008-04-14 02:10PM | 0 recs
Well enough Clinton aids have been taken down

The Dems have lost a lot of soldiers from tongue related injuries so far this cycle. Will this be the first GOP casualty?

by dMarx 2008-04-14 02:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Well enough Clinton aids have been taken down

I seriously doubt it. The 'racist' charges just don't have the same kind of power with the general electorate that they have with the Democratic primary electorate. The Republicans will get a lot worse than this, and they will use it to make Obama look prickly and over-sensitive.

by souvarine 2008-04-14 02:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Well enough Clinton aids have been taken down

Why? Did Obama act oversensitive here?

by RLMcCauley 2008-04-14 02:35PM | 0 recs
Don't bother

All events prove Sen Obama is "unleectable" to that poster, without exception.  Raining?  Obama can't win.  Neighbor didn't mow his lawn last week?  Obama is unelectable.  Cost of eggs gone up?  Obama is responsible, voters will not stand for it.  And so on.

by Quicklund 2008-04-14 04:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"
you can find this racists Dem challenger here
Michael Kelly
http://actblue.com/directory?query_param eters=---%20%0Afilters%3A%20%5B%5D%0A%0A &add_filter_query=_facet-state%3A%22 KY%22
by nogo war 2008-04-14 02:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

Awesome. I'll drop him $50 today, and I hope others can donate what they can.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 02:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

This sounds like a Clinton campaign attack.

by reggie44pride 2008-04-14 02:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

Don't be a jerk. I'm a Obama supporter but Hillary would never do something like this.

by Cristalgirl 2008-04-14 02:20PM | 0 recs

Cut it out.

by Skaje 2008-04-14 02:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No "Boy"

<i.I don't know what was in Davis' heart when he made the comments (as Marc Ambinder says, "Davis's comments offend not because they demeaned Obama's integrity; they're offensive because, well, in 2008, for a white person to call a black person 'boy,' is generally seen as racist no matter where you are.").</i>

His name is Geoff Davis.

He calls himself Geoff Davis, fercrissake.

by BlueinColorado 2008-04-14 02:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

*facepalm*  Goeff Davis.  There are days when I'm slow.  I didn't pick up on that until you pointed it out, with it being spelled differently.

Oh, that's...unfortunate for him.  *snicker*

Prog

by Progressive Witness 2008-04-14 04:58PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Don't worry, I'm a Civil War buff, and I didn't catch that. Hell, nobody should vote for him on his name alone (at least he could go by a nickname) . I wonder if Geoff is actually his middle name?

by xodus1914 2008-04-15 05:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;
It's not that a white person can't call a black person "boy". It's that a ADULT white man can't call an almost equally ADULT black man "boy". That just reeks of old-school racism. Obama is 46, and Davis is 49 - what in the world gives Davis the seniority needed to actually even TRY to call Obama a "boy",
Also, the last time I checked, it was much more prestigious to be a U.S. Senator than a U.S. Representative so Davis should truly sit and down and shut the hell up.
BTW - In a year when the Republican nominee has said that he will attempt to actively reach out to the black community, stunts like this does NOT help the GOP's cause. And people wonder why Black folks consistently vote Democrat and see the GOP as a bunch of right-wing crazy nut-job racists.
by Cristalgirl 2008-04-14 02:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

It depends on context and verbal/nonverbal cues, but that's a pretty typical southern phrase. Not any different in most usage from "dude".

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 02:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

And there's a reason he didn't use the word "dude". This isn't casual conversation, this was in regards to national security, in front of a Republican audience, from an elected official. This wasn't a casual chat at the corner store.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 02:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

What's a pretty typical Southern phrase? Boy? If that's what you're referring to then there is a huge difference between that and "dude" when applied from a white man to a black man.

by RLMcCauley 2008-04-14 02:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

It is absolutely a Southern slang term of endearment used in a sarcastic/hostile way. Maybe less like "dude" and more like if you call someone you're angry at "buddy". If anything, it was probably a colorblind statement.

Do you not remember the theme to the Dukes of Hazzard? "Just some good ole boys"? Try watching a couple of episodes of Squidbillies on Adult Swim if you genuinely don't know what I'm talking about. Or just ask anyone who grew up in the south.

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 02:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Anyone who grew up in the south would understand that a White guy calling a Black guy 'boy' is not at all the same thing as the phrase "good ol' boys".

by Whash 2008-04-14 02:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Well, not anyone, because I grew up in North Georgia, and my mom's family is from NE Alabama. I see it as an unfortunate word choice, but not necessarily chosen because of racial intolerance. If it was, and it really seems like it was, I'm right along with you guys. But I think people may be jumping the gun, and they should consider whether it is worth playing the race card over this. Last thing you want to do is lose that card before you start facing a GOP with no money and with nothing to lose.

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 02:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

All due respect, I can understand how this might have gotten by the radar, but this kind of thing does NOT fly in other parts of the country at ALL.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 03:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Here's another helpful hint.  When someone actually says something racist, calling them on it does not constitute "playing the race card."  It is simply noting someone's objectionable racism.

by HSTruman 2008-04-14 03:16PM | 0 recs
Playing the Race Card?

Really?

This ain't poker.  America IS a racist country, and combating racism isn't a game.

by nwgates 2008-04-14 09:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Uh no. Not white man to black man. That's racism and there's a long history of it.

by RLMcCauley 2008-04-14 02:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Using an almost 3 decade old television show about rural southerners isn't really the best defense to use in this situation. If anything, it makes them look even more out of touch.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 02:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

I'm not responsible for getting you caught up on modern Southern culture. I mentioned Squidbillies, and that's one of the only fictional shows I know of that actually captures some authentic dialect.

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 03:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Modern southern culture might be wise to see what isn't acceptable outside of said southern culture. No offense, but this kind of thing would get your ass handed to you if you said it almost anyplace else in the country - and it wouldn't just be black people furious.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 03:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Except Geoff Davis isn't really much of a Southerner. He represents Northern Kentucky, a suburb of Cincinnati. He is more of a lower Midwesterner (his district is HEAVILY German-American and Catholic) than a deep Southerner. That said, he is well aware that such phrasing is unacceptable in Cincy or anywhere, which is why he apologized.

by elrod 2008-04-14 03:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

OK, knowing his background, that I can't defend. You don't use the phrasing I was talking about unless you grew up around here, more specifically around a fairly rural area. So yeah, that guy's fucking awful.

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 03:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

I live in Cincinnati, just across the river from Davis' district.  If I remember correctly, he is not a native Kentuckian, as many of his constituents are not, as well.  That area has grown with the influx of companies locating near the Greater Cincinnati airport in Northern KY, and parts of the area are new and higher-income.

He is also, I believe, a graduate of one of the military academies- West Point, if I recall.

So, yes, he should know better, and, yes, he was apparently playing to his Republican audience.

by susie 2008-04-14 09:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

I guarantee you he never would have used that word in regards to a 47 year old white senator.  It just wouldn't have happened.  The statement doesn't even make sense without the racial implications.

by Tenafly Viper 2008-04-14 03:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Is that a joke?  A white man, in the south, calling a black man of the same age "boy" only has one meaning.  To pretend otherwise is beyond ridiculous.

by HSTruman 2008-04-14 03:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Hmmm, no complaint from Obama supporters about all the rampant sexism.

Color me surprised.

by Sensible 2008-04-14 02:22PM | 0 recs

Look at the rec list:

http://www.mydd.com/story/2008/4/14/1719 10/263

by NewOaklandDem 2008-04-14 02:24PM | 0 recs
Hold on here...

This is a diary about a racist comment made by a Republican.  You write a comment complaining that nobody complains about sexism.

In that comment, you make no complaint about the racism of that Republican.

Too funny!

by you like it 2008-04-14 02:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

This was frontpaged. Complain to the management.

by RLMcCauley 2008-04-14 02:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

UGH!!! Stop it! This is the kind of thing that gets us in trouble with Clinton supporters. That sounds like an informal remark. Unless what he said sounded like "that BOY" and not "THAT boy", this is not only a non-issue, it's one that really makes Obama's campaign look bad.

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 02:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Sorry, have to disagree. Davis is three years older than Obama. What possible reason does he have for calling him "boy"? Its derogatory and for anyone that's been out of the loop since "Roots", its pretty obvious this wasn't just a poor choice of words, but something absolutely indefensible.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 02:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Fair enough, it was a poor choice of words, but that still doesn't make it offensive or racist in intent.

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 02:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

It was so very poor I have a hard time believing an elected official isn't brain dead for saying it mistakenly. Also note the fact there was no apology forthcoming.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 02:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

There's a reason for that. Southern voters (Repubs definitely, but probably Dems too) will recognize the word for what it means. ANd they will perceive all of this as misplaced outrage, and that opens up the GOP to pushing forth things that should provoke GENUINE outrage but won't have as strong of an impact.

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 02:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

What it means? When White men call us Black MEN "BOY" it only means one thing.

by RLMcCauley 2008-04-14 02:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

No, I promise you it doesn't. I don't know exactly whether or not it did in this situation, because I'd have to hear the actual comments and the intonation.

But I cannot say I would never refer to an African-American by saying, "That boy". It's not a racial thing, and this whole situation makes me realize what a hostile word it still is. But it is a word I use all the time about my friends, family, etc. And people who live further out from a major city use it even more.

You'd have some traction if you just said it was disrespectful. Because it IS something informal used in a hostile manner. But it is very likely NOT racially charged.

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 02:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

I will say that I'll definitely TRY never to say it about a black person now! Though I'm not entirely sure they wouldn't understand its meaning, too.

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 02:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Honestly if you're coming from the position that you just didn't know that it was a derogatory term, now you know - for a long time its the word used when you can't say the "n" word in public. It has a long history in terms of slavery and the marginalization and dehumanization of black men.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 02:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

I knew how it was used, I've just never been in situations I can remember where it's been used in that way. And I definitely didn't realize it still was so upsetting.

If he'd said "some boy" or "That boy, Barack Obama", I would be very pissed off at it. Not only for being ignorant and offensive, because his bigoted ass just reinforced a thousand Southern stereotypes.

But the phrase "that boy" rings bells because it is used when you want to talk about someone who doesn't have much sense. As in, "That boy is crazy". It's more commonly used as in, "Boy, you're crazy", but it IS relatively common.

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 03:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

As there is a long history of this word being used to disparage my people I'll simply disagree and leave it at that.

by RLMcCauley 2008-04-14 02:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Well, I hope you don't think less of me, because you're one of the posters I rather like. But I grew up in a school that was fully integrated and where we never had any problems between the black kids and the white kids. And I think a lot of the South has come a very long way since the days of George Wallace. It's just not very often I've seen anyone (anyone who isn't pure redneck, anyway) talking poorly about someone for being black.

Now racism towards HISPANICS? That's a different story.

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 03:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

They say "brown is the new black", but yes, I agree with you - black and white relations have come a long way especially in the most recent generations. Hispanics tend to be cast as the new boogeymen - not that long ago it seemed like gays and lesbians were in that position.  Its still as wrong as any form of bigotry and racism.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 03:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

You are right, the Hispanic racism is awful, and it still pisses me off because I hear people talking about how "gangs are coming to the suburbs", and I know what they mean the cause to be.

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 03:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Well perhaps you haven't been looking.  I worked for a year after highschool in a dept. store in rural Pennsylvania (circa 2000).  My town's black population would have been less than 1%.  My boss was a very kind elderly white man who used to call our single black employee "boy" every chance he had.  It was disgusting and I felt horrible just witnessing it.  I can't imagine how it would feel to be called that after the history of that in black culture. It always brought to mind the song "strange fruit" and black people only being considered partially human under national law.

I think all your describing is an insensitivity and a lack of empathy.  Racism against black people exists.  I find it disturbing that people still have to be told that.

by Tenafly Viper 2008-04-14 03:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

While I bristle at being called insensitive or apathetic towards intolerance, you may be right in that I haven't looked hard enough.

But I know enough non-racist conservative people who speak this way to refuse to automatically condemn anyone who says something like this.

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 04:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Here's the thing. The speaker was a man who grew up in the segregated South. He's not some kid who doesn't know better.

by RLMcCauley 2008-04-14 04:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Did he? Another commenter said he was from the midwest more than the south, and that he had a German-Catholic accent.

If he had a southern dialect, I would be inclined to think it could go either way, but without it, he's guilty as sin.

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 04:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Oh HELL. Not accent, background. But it isn't even that, his Wikipedia page (which I should have checked) says he's from Montreal.

Seriously, I apologize, and I hope you can at least understand where I was coming from.

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 04:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

No learning can take place without first bringing to light that learning needs to take place. No hard feelings from me, and thanks for taking the time to understand where we're coming from.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 04:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Actually it appears he's in KY but born in Montreal. I'm not sure when he came to the US.

by RLMcCauley 2008-04-14 04:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

In this day and age, if this kind of dogwhistle racism provoked "misplaced outrage" (especially in the context of the rest of their remarks, none of them good), then America hasn't come as far as we've thought - something I simply don't believe. If that was the case Obama would have been out of the race before he even began.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 02:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

This isn't even dogwhistle. I'd have put my foot in his ass if he said it to me (black man). I wouldn't have needed to ponder the meaning.

by RLMcCauley 2008-04-14 02:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

As a white female I'd be right behind you cheering you on. I have too many good friends and family that this man is insulting with that kind of verbal sludge.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 02:58PM | 0 recs

Right behind you, bruh.

by xodus1914 2008-04-15 07:04AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Constituents in Geoff Davis' district are not really Southerners.  Most are transplants, as is Davis himself.  Of course, some are native Kentuckians - (think George Clooney and his father Nick Clooney, who ran as a Dem. Congressional candidate a few yrs ago.), and they have some gentle ways, but the majority have come in recent years as this area has become a southern extension of the greater Cincinnati area.

by susie 2008-04-14 09:55PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

That said, any Clinton supporter feeling outrage or rolling their eyes needs to ask themselves how they would interpret it if he had been referring to Clinton and said "girl".

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 02:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Oh please. That's pure racist talk.

by RLMcCauley 2008-04-14 02:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

And if he said "that girl" regarding HRC?  Would you be angry at the rampant sexism?  Or, would you be saying it was an informal remark?

by igottheblues 2008-04-14 03:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

And if Courtney Love quit calling herself a righteous bitch it would constitute progress as well. I don't know what musicians have to do with this.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 02:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Your first comment really makes me wish I didn't have to troll you for your second comment.

by vcalzone 2008-04-14 02:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

I just flipped to the Dennis Prager show (a right wing talk show)... The caller so wanted to call Obama the N word, but Prager stopped him....

In the end, it will come down to race, no matter what the racists try to say....

by LordMike 2008-04-14 02:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

I thought about this some more, and your comment about black musicians is a hell of a lot more offensive than you seem to think it is. I listen almost exclusively to hip hop and I like to think I have a pretty good understanding of the culture surrounding it. People that freak out because some of the black musical community has taken back a word used for centuries to degrade an entire race miss a much larger picture.

Oh, by the way, many hip hop artists refuse to use that word. Believe it or not, black rappers aren't a monolithic group with no dissenting opinions.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 02:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

I suggest you learn a LOT more about the culture you're talking about before you open your mouth and spill that kind of ignorant bullshit again.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 03:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Either you're functionally retarded (completely missing the fact that the word is being used between two black people, much like my gay friends call each other queer in an affectionate manner) or you're desperately looking for a reason to claim reverse racism (they can say it! why can't I!)

The word nigger was used for so long and has such a long and horrible history associated with it that "taking it back" was used to try and blunt the force of it, and to help foster a sense of unity within the community (we will use this word to remove its power to hurt). I don't give a shit what different cultures call themselves, but if you can't understand any of the above, you have a lot of learning to do. Get off your judgmental high horse and off this site.

And in case you also didn't read the rest of my post, the use of the word in hip hop is in no way universal. Way to generalize about something you obviously know nothing about, champ.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 03:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

News flash. As upstate girl is desperatly trying to get through your skull, the use of the 'n' word is not  universal in hip-hop and never has been. And just because it's prevalent in some artist's use, that doesn't mean that all listeners enjoy it's use either, even though they still buy the music.

But it's obvious you really don't care about the nuances here. You just want people to get over all that racism stuff and move forward, regardless of past experiences.

I understand.

by xodus1914 2008-04-15 07:25AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

It's OUR choice and quite different as we're not part of the ruling class.

by RLMcCauley 2008-04-14 04:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Don't even worry about this idiot. I've run into his/her type before and this "rappers are racist for using the n word" almost always directly precedes "its racist against white people for US not to be able to say it now!" Its a ludicrous argument designed only to capitalize on latent racism and hostility, not to mention amazingly self-centered and completely ignorant of any sort of context, history, or knowledge about the culture they're speaking about.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 04:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;
you are way over reacting.  The person you are slamming said nothing about reverse racism.
Normally I would agree with you, but not when you are putting words in to the guys mouth.
by TeresaInPa 2008-04-15 05:03AM | 0 recs
Obama is running for head

of the ruling class.  He doesn't get a pass anymore on race. He has to transcend it and so far he has only exploited it.

by TeresaInPa 2008-04-15 05:01AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

It think it was racist.  Although, I grew up in Texas and have a knee jerk reaction to stuff like this.  If he didn't want to sound racist he would have said man instead of boy.  Or even guy or dude.  Oh and I am a Hillary supporter so I am not just looking for knocks on my candidate.  It was an inappropriate thing to say.

by JustJennifer 2008-04-14 02:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;
As a unity post, this should serve as a way to unite both HC and BO camps.  Instead - I see these snippets of ..."racism isnt a reason to vote for him" ... or ... "where was the outrage with the sexist comments" ... or "This sounds like it came from a Clinton official".  Shame on you.  You wonder why there so few visitors to this site ... it is because of bullshit posted as a way to drive a wedge, versus trying to come together.  I am not a pollyanna ... but do want to win  in November and these divisive crap comments nudge us further away from the prize.
Sheesh.
by stryan 2008-04-14 03:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;
and he probably would have used the b* word to refer to Candidate Clinton - both are pejorative. (The adjective pejorative is synonymous with derogatory, derisive, dyslogistic, and contemptuous.)
We all still have a lot to learn about racism and genderism.
by pan230oh 2008-04-14 03:03PM | 0 recs
Scarborough Keeping The Muslim Smear Alive
Their panel show tonight had everyone bellowing out their favorite Obama smear while Maddow tried to say why repeat these things we all know are false? Why not address some issues? But no, they were using "Muslim" in the same breath as "bitter." Clearly the panelists were having nothing to do with Rachel's plea for reason. This race is about far more than just the Dems versus the Republicans, this is about whether the gold standard for getting elected is who can muster more relentless stupidity. And frankly if this is what it takes for Hillary to win the Democratic nomination, then fuck the Democratic party. There will be a race to launch third parties for 2012.
by bernardpliers 2008-04-14 03:03PM | 0 recs
Rachel's call to reason?
She is just another member of the media clique for Obama.
Repeating the fact that the Muslim smear is ridiculous is NOT keeping it alive.  It is already out there and they are disputing it.
by TeresaInPa 2008-04-15 04:58AM | 0 recs

Wonderful diary

by wrb 2008-04-14 03:08PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Getting all these closet racists to come out into the open is like drawing pus from a festering sore. It's a positive side effect of Obama's campaign and a step toward healing the nation of our awful legacy.

by Kobi 2008-04-14 03:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

I find Davis's comment to be reprehensible and join others in condemning it.

by markjay 2008-04-14 03:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;
you know guys, i think he meant boy as in "young'un.
 not boy as in black guy.
 his statement was still stupid, but still..
by theninjagoddess 2008-04-14 03:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

I am sure that is what he wants you to think it meant... that being said I can take you through a few neighborhoods where even calling a true boy "boy" would get you the beating of your life.

It has racist connotation regardless of whether he meant it to or not.

by JDF 2008-04-14 03:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

See my above comment. What if he referred to HRC as "that girl?"

by igottheblues 2008-04-14 03:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

He's only three years older than Obama.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 03:52PM | 0 recs
That argument would only fly

if there was a huge disparity in their ages and they were both the same race.

When a 49 year old white man call a 46 year old black man 'boy', there's only one way to read it.

by GFORD 2008-04-14 06:41PM | 0 recs
Axelrod probably planted him

Axelrod has out karl roved karl rove. He is dirty. He got Novak to say that hillary was going to drop dirt on obama and then used it to attack hillary. I have no doubt that he would use this republican to change the subject on Cling-Gate.

by maxstar 2008-04-14 04:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Axelrod probably planted him

You're obtuse, ignorant, hateful and myopic. Get out of here with that kind of bullshit.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 04:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Axelrod probably planted him

If Obama's chief strategst has that kind of power I think we should all just cede the election to Barack right now, I mean wow he can make republican congressman say racist crap, that's amazing is he a witch or a jedi?

by Socraticsilence 2008-04-14 05:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Axelrod probably planted him

The mental gymnastics this guy must have used to come up with this kind of reason makes me weep. Either that or its time for Jerome to do another troll purge - there's more than enough evidence in this thread alone.

by upstate girl 2008-04-14 05:23PM | 0 recs
DISGUSTING

HILLARY should DEMAND that Alex R. explain to his Hillary is 44 crowd that these comments do NOT belong in the Democratic Party:

April 14th, 2008 at 9:09 pm

I agree wiht Geoff Davis.

THAT BOY"S finger does not need to be on the button!

---------------------------

April 14th, 2008 at 9:14 pm

Why is "boy" considered racist? That's bull.

---------------------------

April 14th, 2008 at 9:16 pm

No, it's not bull. Black men were called "boy" by whites often much younger than them for centuries. There's a definate history.

---------------------------
Today's racial insensitivity brought to you by:

by Veteran75 2008-04-14 05:58PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Ok, first, I don't know who Patrick Crowley is.
Second, although I consider my english to be relatively good, the fact is that I am not a native speaker.

Still, I've lived long enough in the US to get that "boy" employed in a certain way can be considered racist.

But for this quote:
"That boy's finger does not need to be on the button"

Honnestly I don't see it, to me it sounds more like the guy is making an allusion to his age and lack of experience.

Again, I only read the quote.

by TaiChiMaster 2008-04-14 06:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Patrick Crowley is the political reporter for the Northern Kentucky  edition of the Cincinnati Enquirer.  Though I don't regularly read his columns, he appears to be fairly even-handed in his analyses.

by susie 2008-04-14 09:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;
Once again, Obama is a US Senator hand 46 years old. How does a US Representative who is 3 years older get to call him that again?
Trust me. This was lost in translation.
by xodus1914 2008-04-15 07:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Calling a grown man a Boy is racist southern term.  Unfortunately REP. Davis's slander will have NO effect on him.  He will be relected in his district.

by nzubechukwu 2008-04-14 07:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Again, I say that he is only guaranteed a win if we who are outraged do nothing! I have read enough here to see the begining of an upset if we pool our resources, tag our listservs and donate to his opponent.

I have both donated, and spread the word here and yon. http://www.kelley08.com/

Go! Donate! CHANGE THE WORLD

by gcee 2008-04-14 09:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

Identity politics is tearing our party apart.  Have we learned no lesson from this primary?

Obama is again using race to divide and conquer.

Shame on him.

by switching sides 2008-04-14 11:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;

SO when did you switch sides and become a Republican?

by xodus1914 2008-04-15 07:48AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;
For folks that don't get it..may I suggest you rent
"In the Heat of the Night"
by nogo war 2008-04-15 02:13AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;
Gillespie: Whatcha hit him with?
Tibbs: Hit whom?
Gillespie: "Whom"? Are you a northern boy? What's a northern boy doing down here?
Chief Gillespie: I got the motive which is money and the body which is dead.
Virgil Tibbs: They call me MISTER Tibbs!
by nogo war 2008-04-15 02:16AM | 0 recs
Re: Barack Obama is No &quot;Boy&quot;
I use the term Boy in my common speech and it has no connotation to the "Boy's" race. As in "that Boy has a lot too learn." " That boy really can hit the ball "etc.
I can't tell you how many times I have  reedited posts regarding Obama when the  word boy was in it because I knew idiots would  spend their time attacking the use of the word. If we are going ro get to the post racial era stuff like the word boy has to be let go .
by coolofthenight 2008-04-15 04:06AM | 0 recs
you would be a moron
id you did NOT edit.  The word is just too loaded.
Now if Obama would edit his sexist language...
by TeresaInPa 2008-04-15 04:50AM | 0 recs
saying &quot;boy&quot; was a terrible

thing to say.  However I think he GOP WILL get away with dog whistle race baiting. They know damn well that they are not going to get any significant percentage of the African American vote, even less than ever before with a black man in the candidacy.
And there are not enough swing voterss who will give a damn to put the republicans in their place.
They are going to paint Obama as every scary thing they can use.

And after Obama played the race card time after time and at the same time made sexist remarks about Hillary... I am afraid I do not care what will happen to him in the GE.  Maybe it is time for a wake up call for the whole party.

by TeresaInPa 2008-04-15 04:47AM | 0 recs
Re: saying &quot;boy&quot; was a terrible

That's a Republican talking point. Please give examples.

by xodus1914 2008-04-15 07:50AM | 0 recs