Obama/Bloomberg?

This morning in New York City, before giving his economic speech, Barack Obama was introduced by Mayor Michael Bloomberg. While Bloomberg stopped well short of an endorsement, Obama took the opportunity to praise Bloomberg as his post-partisan soul mate.

I want to thank Mayor Bloomberg for his extraordinary leadership. At a time when Washington is divided in old ideological battles, he shows us what can be achieved when we bring people together to seek pragmatic solutions. Not only has he been a remarkable leader for New York -he has established himself as a major voice in our national debate on issues like renewing our economy, educating our children, and seeking energy independence. Mr. Mayor, I share your determination to bring this country together to finally make progress for the American people.

Ahh, yes, if only those pesky Democrats and Republicans in Washington would stop fighting. The problem with Washington has nothing to do with an obstructionist minority or an intransigent president. No, Democrats and Republicans are equally to blame. This is central to the message of folks like Bloomberg and Schwarzzenegger, aided and abetted by pundits like David Broder and David Brooks, who don't want to have to admit that conservative governance is an oxymoron and that Republicans being in power has been disastrous for our country because then they'd have to admit they were wrong for enabling it. I actually believe that Barack Obama is well aware that the solution to fixing Washington is electing a Democrat to the White House and more Democrats to congress, but it's comments like this that make me wonder. But I digress.

The reason the Obama-Bloomberg convergence is making tongues wag is because of speculation about an Obama/Bloomberg ticket. While the prospect makes me want to gag, there are some interesting cases being made for why it might not be a bad thing were Obama to become the nominee.

From First Read:

But it will be the potential of Obama-Bloomberg that could be the most important take-away. In fact, considering that anti-Israel sentiments being expressed by the Rev. Wright in these newly circulating church bulletins. A fortunate thing for Obama is at least these church bulletins aren't video. The idea of a Jewish running mate might end up making more and more sense for Obama as the summer wears on.

I actually think Marc Ambinder has a better argument for picking Bloomberg:

Obama isn't much of an administrator or a details guy by his own admission, while Bloomberg is so concerned about Your Health and Welfare that he studies intently the ins and outs of congestion pricing and trans-fats. He's a prime minister-type -- although he brings an outsider's sense of efficiency to the bureaucracy. Let Obama be the vision guy; Bloomberg could be the brass-tacts administrator.

Tags: 2008 Presidential election, Barack Obama, Michael Bloomberg (all tags)

Comments

Please, no!!!!!

by Coral 2008-03-27 10:35AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg: It's the Billions of $$$

Obama's going for the money, of course. He knows Bloomberg can kick in millions without batting an eye.

by Tennessean 2008-03-27 11:59AM | 0 recs
please.

If there's one thing Obama doesn't need, it's fundraising help.

by Adam B 2008-03-27 04:15PM | 0 recs
Chthulhu's Crullers, this is awful

Please let it not be true.

by msaroff 2008-03-27 12:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

LOL!! Silly speculation about a so called 'ticket", this speech this morning,

while Obama was introduced by Bloomberg, also in attendance was Paul Volker, Obama supporter, who was former chairman of the Federal Reserve under Democratic and Republican administrations as well as the current Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson.

It appears that Obama is beginning to 'surround himself' with people that are quite knowledgeable as well as helpful people for a potential future presidency.

Actually having an introduction from the Mayor of NYC is like a punch to Clinton perhaps, but the assumption that it's a potential ticket, I think, is a bit off base at this time.

It's one of those silly things to take focus off the importance of the speech, you know a political tactic to redirect people attentions away from the speech itself, I'm having none of it.

by Wary 2008-03-27 12:39PM | 0 recs
Myabe you guys should run a...

... "Pick-a-VP-for-Obama" poll.

by Bob Johnson 2008-03-27 10:37AM | 0 recs
We're doomed!

by Bob Johnson 2008-03-27 11:36AM | 0 recs
Re: We're doomed!

DOOMED I tell ya!

by Wary 2008-03-27 12:40PM | 0 recs
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

by Bob Johnson 2008-03-27 12:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

I have come to the reluctant conclusion that the ticket should be Obama/Clinton.

My prediction is that Obama WILL WIN THE NOMINATION AND WILL OFRFER THE vp TO cLINTON EXPECTING HER TO DECLINE, BUT i PREDICT SHE WILL ACCEPT.

I am old enough to remember 1960 when Kennedy offered the VP to Johnson and people on both sides howled. But party elder's made it happen.

Pelosi, Edwards, Gore Carter and Bill Clinton will make it happen.

by BDM 2008-03-27 10:38AM | 0 recs
I doubt it

I just don't see Hillary willing to play second fiddle for 8 more years.

Also, after Snipergate I think that Obama would be shooting himself in the foot by picking Hillary. Obama needs an actual foreign policy/national security VP, not someone who claims to be.

by highgrade 2008-03-27 10:42AM | 0 recs
Re: I doubt it

They said that about Lyndon Johnson in 1960 and he was the senate majority leader. He had a lot more power than Clinton has now in the senate.

by BDM 2008-03-27 10:45AM | 0 recs
Not a good idea.

I think this is not a good idea for America but it would probably placate the Clinton's egos. As VP Hillary could be sent on the more dangerous missions. However, if I were Barack, I would take out some extra life insurance--just remember all of the people the Clinton's assassinated in the 80s and 90s.

by anothergreenbus 2008-03-27 10:51AM | 0 recs
Again with the lies?

I'm a BHO guy; but it frosts me when this shit is repeated about either candidate.  Assassinations?  Name one.  I love the assholes who can't see the contradiction in claiming the Clintons were the all-powerful, sinister people who could kill people worldwide with impunity, but couldn't cover up a blowjob.  If there were a shred of truth in those allegations, we never would have heard of Lewinsky or Tripp.

by rb608 2008-03-28 05:44AM | 0 recs
Re: I doubt it

I think that would be a disaster for Obama to even ask the Clinton's to be on the ticket, I hate to say because it wouldn't be 'one VP' unfortunately, it would be TWO--

and I regret to say I don't think that would work anyway anyone attempted deal with it.  Bad idea.

by Wary 2008-03-27 12:47PM | 0 recs
No, no and no

You don't try to get independents and repentant repubs to vote for you by putting her on the ticket.  They've already made it abundantly clear they won't vote for Hillary Clinton under any circumstances.

Wes Clark would be a far better choice.  A white Southern Hillary guy with military and foreign policy cred up the yingyang.  And a good man to have around in a crisis.

by ReillyDiefenbach 2008-03-28 04:26AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

All things are possible, I suppose, but I don't think he'll offer it.  At this point, I would give either Richardson or Sebelius the best odds.

by HSTruman 2008-03-27 10:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

if that were to happen, i predict a nice, long-term overseas appointment for ol' Bill.

by pholkhero 2008-03-27 10:51AM | 0 recs
lol. That's not what the winner of America's

#1 psychic is saying. Predictions are useless right now. Too many things yet to happen.

by cosbo 2008-03-27 11:00AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

God, no, not Bloomberg the ertsatz Republican, please.  Not a multibillionaire.  I was brought up in NYC, still have most of my family there.  Bloomberg is okay in the making the trains run on time department, but is not someone who is going to play well outside of NY, and to tell you the truth, not someone I could stand to listen to for the next 8 years.

by mady 2008-03-27 10:41AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

I thought VPs were like Lt Gov's, staying silent unless scandal broke out?

by kydem 2008-03-27 10:42AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Is there a policy objection to Mike Bloomberg that makes him an unacceptable Democrat? As far as I know he is pro-choice, pro-health care, and has proven willing to impose tax increases to expand services. He is certainly seems more acceptable than John Kerry almost v.p. nom., John McCain.

by JCarlFinn5 2008-03-27 11:19AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

I think he is also pro urban gun control, which I like but not sure how that plays nationally.

I see an endorsement but I don't think Bloomberg would want VP.

by drowsy 2008-03-27 11:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Bloomberg would definitely cancel out the anti-Israel vibes and bring experience into the role.

by kydem 2008-03-27 10:42AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Has anyone taken time to read the column titled "A Fresh View Of The Palestinian Struggle" in the Trinity church bulletin?  A few points are in order.

1.  The piece, written by a Hamas official, was taken verbatim from the Los Angeles Times, which is as middle-of-the-road a source as one can ever find.

2.  While the piece did appear on the "Pastor's Page" of the church bulletin, there was no endorsement or other commentary offered.  Which leads me to...

3.  Perhaps Rev. Wright simply wanted to present a view of the Palestinian conflict to his flock that differed from the one usually presented in the U.S. media.  Why?  Perhaps because...

4.  The Palestinian people have legitimate grievances, as even a cursory glance at the evening news on most days will confirm.  They are nothing if not oppressed, and any church worth its salt must stand with the oppressed.

None of this is intended to excuse terrorism or to encourage the U.S. to withdraw its support for Israel, but the U.S. has rarely been an impartial participant in Middle Eastern affairs, and this has led to understandable resentment on the part of Muslims everywhere.  We may dislike the messenger, but the message itself contains more truth than most Americans will admit.

by KTinOhio 2008-03-27 01:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Bloomberg would also bring in moderate Rockefeller type Republicans. The result could be a crushing Alf Landon type blow to neoconservatism.

While most on this blog would rather have McCain than Obama and consider Obama the true enemy, it is the Cheney type neoconservatives that are the real enemy. I would take a moderate Republican as VP to defeat them.

However, I think Obama will choose a military type Blue Dog as VP. Hillary doesn't qualify despite her experience under sniper fire in a hot LZ.

by antiHyde 2008-03-27 04:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

This may be a stretch, but maybe Obama is floating the idea of running as an independent if the nomination is take from him in a nefarious super delegate coup.

by anothergreenbus 2008-03-27 10:43AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

I don't think she takes the VP slot, though it will have to be offered.

However, I think she demands the senate majority leader job in exchange for being gracious and pushing her supporters to vote for Obama.

I think she would have made a fine president (though I support Obama), but I honestly think she'll make an even better majority leader for years to come.

by SFValues 2008-03-27 10:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

The VP will be offered and she will take it.

Bobby Kennedy did not want thew VP to go to Johnson, but it was offered and accepted.

by BDM 2008-03-27 10:48AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Fair point, though how old will Clinton be in 8 years? She's one tough lady, but after 16 years in the White House will she have it in her to go for another 8?

Maybe it's also just wishful thinking on my part.

I think Obama with the bully pulpit will be able to crush any Republican slime machine when trying to sell Democratic ideas (ie getting out of Iraq, universal healthcare), and there's no Republican tough enough to stand up to Clinton pushing those proposals through the senate and making them law.

by SFValues 2008-03-27 10:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

"...the solution to fixing Washington is electing a Democrat to the White House and more Democrats to congress..."

Not necessarily. Just because they have a "D" next to their name does not guarantee that they are going to stand up and do something to solve our most pressing issues. I think Republicans are mostly responsible for where we are, but Democrats have not done a whole heck of a lot to provide a true opposition on the most important issues.

by dmc2 2008-03-27 10:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

obama and obamaites true stripes are showing.

as a yellowdog dem,  I would be forced to not vote for that ticket.

and writers for msnbc and the atlantic being pro wall street repub billionaire, who'd a thunk that !?

by John Wesley Hardin was a Friend to the Poor 2008-03-27 10:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

You'd be absolutely right not to vote for that ticket, but it's not going to happen.  This is game-playing speculation going on, not a serious foray into choosing a candidate for VP.

by mady 2008-03-27 10:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

though it IS interesting considering Bowers' post over at OpenLeft encouraging Obama to begin to pick his admin in an effort to solidify the image that he is the likely nominee.

i do think, though, this could backfire if HRC was to portray it as arrogant and dismissive of the upcoming contests.  Still, i'm not sure that story would have legs at this point.

certainly after pa, NC and IN, if she doesn't make up much delegate ground, the argument could be made that he should start the full pivot to the GE.

by pholkhero 2008-03-27 10:49AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

How does this reflect on obama or obamites?  What stripes are they showing?  todd wrote the diary, and he's hardly a BHO supporter.

by pholkhero 2008-03-27 10:47AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

If you wouldn't vote for the Dem then you are not a "yellow dog Dem" by definition.

by bawbie 2008-03-27 10:51AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Didn't Bloomberg become a Republican just to clear the primaries in NYC? He's essentially a liberal who has supported higher taxes on his Wall Street buddies and the best green reform agenda in any big city in America. I am willing to listen to contrary arguments. I just don't understand dismissing him out of hand and certainly not rejecting the entire ticket because of him.

by JCarlFinn5 2008-03-27 11:24AM | 0 recs
Bloomberg

Michael R. Bloomberg, a longtime Democrat who switched to the Republican Party to run for mayor of New York City in 2001, announced this evening that he is changing his party status and registering as an independent.NYT June 19, 2007

by Ida B 2008-03-27 04:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

God no! I like Bloomberg as my Mayor, and I will love him as my Governor should he choose to run, but I do not want him running with Obama, nor do I want him as my Vice President. I will pull the lever for McCain if that is the case.

by RJEvans 2008-03-27 10:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

So you'll vote for Bloomberg over the Democratic candidate for any and all state level positions, but you'd vote for a lunatic neoconservative for President over an Obama/Bloomberg ticket?

I'm sure there is some logic in your statement somewhere, but for the life of me I can't see it.

by HSTruman 2008-03-27 10:48AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Yeah, the logic is who will be the best damn person for the job. That is my logic.

by RJEvans 2008-03-27 10:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

And Obama choosing someone you have admitted you would support would mean that John "Bomb, bomb bomb Iran and stay in Iraq for 100 years" McCain is the most qualified how?

That doesn't make any sense to me.  Or are you simply saying you will vote for McCain over Obama period?  I find that equally ridiculous, but could at least follow your logic if that's what you mean.

by HSTruman 2008-03-27 10:55AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Buddy, running for Mayor, running for Governor, running for National Office are different things. I'm from NYC. Bloomberg will do different things for this city than would a Republican. Bloomberg will do different things for my state than a Republican. Bloomberg is not what I want for this country. I may not agree with McCain on every issue, but has have proven he can not only do the job, but the job done. That is what I want in a President. Barack Obama has yet to prove that to me and to add Bloomberg on a national ticket does not make this moderate Democrat feel comfortable.

by RJEvans 2008-03-27 11:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Basically, you prefer the Republican nominee for President to the Democratic nominee for President. I don't think 'moderate Democrat' is the right label to self-apply.

How about, 'right-leaning Independant?' or maybe just 'Republican'?

by Brannon 2008-03-27 03:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

I don't want either an Obama/Bloomberg or BHO/HRC ticket.  No indies, please, adn having clinton as your VP would hardly resonate with Obama's 'change' message.

by pholkhero 2008-03-27 10:46AM | 0 recs
What a great idea

Who needs blue collar democrats, we you can scrap an extra 5% of the Jewish vote?
by TaiChiMaster 2008-03-27 10:46AM | 0 recs
Re: What a great idea

You want to elucidate your position on that before I snap out something I'm sorry for?  Do you really think having a Jewish VP is the only reason Jews will vote Democratic?  We are one of the most reliable, though small, segments of the party.  The "Jewish vote" comes home to the Democrats, right now is split between Obama and Clinton.  I am an Obama supporter but will vote for either candidate.  I can't stand Bloomberg.

by mady 2008-03-27 10:50AM | 0 recs
Re: What a great idea

Read my post a second time, and open your mind. We are saying the SAME thing. I was being sarcastic.

by TaiChiMaster 2008-03-27 10:54AM | 0 recs
Re: What a great idea

I apologize, am prickly on the subject and there have been enough strangeness lately to overreact to things.

Mady

by mady 2008-03-27 10:56AM | 0 recs
Re: What a great idea

No problem

by TaiChiMaster 2008-03-27 11:03AM | 0 recs
Re: What a great idea

The suggestion that Bloomberg will help with the Jewish vote comes straight from the post we're all responding to.

by Steve M 2008-03-27 10:56AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

I agree that Hillary as VP or Senate Majority leader would be great for the country. She's an excellent administrator/prime minister type. I really do hope when the primaries are over they both are on the ticket.

by hnic357 2008-03-27 10:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

I am an Obama supporter and if you want to win then He will offer the VP to Clinton and she will accept.

by BDM 2008-03-27 10:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Where do you get the idea that Hillary is a great administrator? The biggest thing, as far is I can tell, that Hillary, Obama and Crazy John have administered is their senate staffs. Tell me about HRC executive experience, please.

The other test for executive experience for all of these candidates is their campaigns. Look at Hillary's. She had access to anyone she wanted, being right at the center of the party power structure. The result has been chaos. She should have had the nomination sewn up very early, and when she didn't, nobody around her had a plan B. She doesn't get my vote based on administrative experience.

by anoregonreader 2008-03-27 09:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

This is a senseless idea.  The economy is the key issue this year, and Bloomberg has credibility on the economy, but it is a Wall Street sort of credibility rather than a Main Street sort.  Obama is already just fine with the financial community; Goldman Sachs is his #1 source of campaign funds.

Obama's "Jewish problem" strikes me as significantly overstated, and it's certainly not a big enough problem to require a Jewish VP.  Obama already gets nearly half of the Jewish vote in the Democratic primary against a candidate with significant support in the Jewish community, so that's the best evidence right there.  And to be completely practical about this, I don't believe the Jewish vote makes a huge difference outside of New York, which Obama will win, and Florida, which he will not.  On the other hand, I'll remind everyone of my proposed Feingold for President slogan: "Annoy the Terrorists, Elect a Jew."

Finally, it's clear that Bloomberg is much, much closer to the McCain/Lieberman axis on the war than he is to Obama.  That would make the GE campaign quite awkward.

by Steve M 2008-03-27 10:49AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

First of all, your Feingold slogan is amazing.  Well played sir.

I agree that Bloomberg would be a poor choice, and don't think that will come to pass, but are you sure about Bloomberg and the war?  My recollection was that he has been antiwar more or less from the start.  Which, in my view, always made the 'R' next to his name look even more cynical.

by HSTruman 2008-03-27 10:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Bloomberg has played it close to the vest at times because the city is obviously quite anti-war, but I'm pretty sure my statement was correct.

Here's a fair-minded link for you.

Here's a less fair-minded one.

by Steve M 2008-03-27 11:00AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Thanks for the links.  Looking at all the contemporaneous stuff, it definitely looks like he was trying to have it both ways.  Which, in the final analysis, means he enabled Bush at the very least.

The fact that I had remembered differently shows he had some success with that approach.  Good thing these "internets" are around so we can pin people down on things.

by HSTruman 2008-03-27 11:26AM | 0 recs
a black and jew on the same ticket?

frankly, to be "cycnical," or realistic, I think that would be unelectable.

by DiamondJay 2008-03-27 10:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Jewish running mate may help Obama?
Hahahahahahahaha, Gore thought the same thing.

If Obama is to pick someone, why not Feingold?

A Bloomberg VP will GUARANTEE a win for McCain.

by stefystef 2008-03-27 10:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

A Bloomberg VP will GUARANTEE a win for McCain.

would you care to explain why?

I don't think it's a great idea, but I've heard worse.  Ambinder's analysis of Obama needed an administrator is good, and Bloomberg fits that role better than HRC because he's not married to Bill Clinton.

by bawbie 2008-03-27 10:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

I have no political ESP whatsoever, but, in my opinion, which could be wrong, either Obama or HRC would need a similar type of running mate: a guy from the South or Southwest with a strong military record.

If the hatchet people around McCain start insinuating that the Democratic nominee is clueless about the military, the Democratic VP nominee has to be there to say something like, "Well, I have fought my way up the war-torn mountains of Somewhereistan with a toothpick and a hairbrush, and I would have loved to have Hillary/Barack right there alongside me. S/he is as tough as nails and as sharp as a tack."

Bloomberg might make a good Treasury secretary, but would probably be even more likely to scare off Southern swing voters than Obama or HRC would.

by sclminc 2008-03-27 10:50AM | 0 recs
Obama is very sneaky

and I couldn't imagine why he's do this speech in NY where there are so many jobs missing thanks to Bush, in Pennsylvania, Indiana and No. Carolina.

This is something for those Republicans or "Reagan Democats" in those three states can think about when to vote in their polls.

The last thing we need is a Republican and if Obama tried to pull that off, couldn't the convention stop it?

Bloomberg thinks we should open all the borders and bring in as many immigrants as we can to pay for the Soc Sec bubble.  As a typical Republican he is short-sided at best not realizing that would be the straw that broke the camel's back.  First there are no jobs here that Americans can't do other than work for Wal-Mart for min wage and no health-care so the government has to pay it.  Second, the older people brought in would demand Soc Sec and Medicare when they reach 62/65.  For some it might be as quick as 10 years.  Who is going to pay for that plus reimburse the municipalities who have to pay the health-care of the Wal-Mart employees who don't get it.

by cpa1a 2008-03-27 10:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Obama/Webb is my dream ticket. A ticket likes that will scream dark blue here in Colorado.

Bloomberg as effective as he is represents NY. NY will be Obama this fall come what may. So we need someone who can bring a leaning blue state to the table.

by KathyM 2008-03-27 10:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

I love the idea of Obama/Webb.  Has Webb endorsed either candidate?

by mady 2008-03-27 11:29AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Or Obama/Clark, for the same reasons.

by KTinOhio 2008-03-27 01:08PM | 0 recs
Bloomberg would seal the deal in Nov

It locks up completely the Jewish Vote as well as steals all the Social Moderates/Fiscal Conservatives from McCain.

I would not be surprised to see this.

I think Obama will have some serious reservations about putting Hillary at #2. I hate to say it but I would be more concerned about his assassination when the #2 on the ticket will do anything to be #1.

by Chimpeach 2008-03-27 10:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Bloomberg would seal the deal in Nov

Are you sure you aren't talking about a Clinton/Obama ticket then?  Obama has clearly demonstrated time and time again that he, too, will do anything to win the nomination. He's a politician (I know -  a shock to the Obama fans out there).

by cmugirl90 2008-03-27 11:31AM | 0 recs
Re: Bloomberg would seal the deal in Nov

Actually, that's not a shock.  I think that Clinton supporters think it's a shock, or that it should be a shock, because if we only "woke up," we would see that the clear choice is Clinton.  It's a condescending line of reasoning.

by rfahey22 2008-03-27 11:37AM | 0 recs
Ah yes - the old ideological battles -
this has been one of obama's fav lines. And why were these battles fought at all? Why do we need for instance a Department of Labor - Why do we need Labor Unions for instance? Get rid of them. That would shut off the old ideological arguments. And Medicare, SS - get with the program - let's be pragmatic. We can find a way to work with the markets, can't we? And what's with the FDA, for instance - getting into trade's face? Let's shut down these old ideological values.
by Xanthe 2008-03-27 10:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Ah yes - the old ideological battles -

oh that's right ~ obama's a closet republican (AND the most liberal senator) ~ THAT's why he's so awesome; he can both at the same time!!

by pholkhero 2008-03-27 11:02AM | 0 recs
awesome - yes, a word
I hear often to describe Sen. Obama. I believe he will be a centrist Democrat. We'll see should he become president. The conservative chicago tribune has 3 positive articles about him on their editorial page today (today or yesterday - I don't feel like going downstairs) - he is well liked by many conservatives - the better to make money - He is a talented politician - I don't think of him as awesome which is used so often to describe him. I think of Bach as awesome but that's me.
by Xanthe 2008-03-27 12:21PM | 0 recs
Re: awesome - yes, a word

There's nothing at all wrong with making money, as long as the workers get a fair piece of the pie.

by KTinOhio 2008-03-27 01:11PM | 0 recs
Re: awesome - yes, a word

Excellent point. If only the financialcons could understand this. As the pie gets larger, so should everyone's cut, but not necessarily the percentage.

by xodus1914 2008-03-27 02:00PM | 0 recs
Awesome!
Can hardly wait for his presidency. It's gonna be good times! Better than that guy - what's his name - Clinton - when I actually had a few good years! Awesome!
by Xanthe 2008-03-27 03:46PM | 0 recs

Gag me with a spoon.

On the other hand, I doubt Obama would pick Bloomberg, since he's Jewish.  With a black man leading the ticket there would be more than enough alterity already.  Which means Obama will have to pick a white Christian male whose name does not end in a vowel.  Someone like John Edwards, Jim Webb or Mark Warner.

by kaleidescope 2008-03-27 10:55AM | 0 recs
Fascism in NYC during the 2004 Rep. Conventio

Bloomberg invited W to exploit New York and horror of 9/11. Many New Yorkers left the city for the week: many other New Yorkers stayed to fight. Bloomberg lined the street with Policemen. Traumatized me to see Free New York as a police state. Those that were arrested were thrown in illegally inhumane conditions on a oil stained pier and kept much longer than was legally allowed by Bloomberg.

He could be worse than Cheney. Beware.

by maxstar 2008-03-27 10:59AM | 0 recs
"Let Obama be the vision guy"

He reminds me of Bush more and more. Bloomberg was liberal Cheney - hoorah!

by owl06 2008-03-27 11:00AM | 0 recs
Re: "Let Obama be the vision guy"

Just like Bush - the great visionary and public speaker?

by proseandpromise 2008-03-27 11:03AM | 0 recs
Re: "Let Obama be the vision guy"

..don't forget bestselling author. What was that book the George 'wrote' again?

by JoeCoaster 2008-03-27 11:15AM | 0 recs
Re: "Let Obama be the vision guy"

The Never Ending Story 3 - Iraq.

by proseandpromise 2008-03-27 11:22AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

I can't get my head around the "Clinton as great administrator" bit when she has a staff that seems to cause her more agony than joy (Mark Penn) and when she is running on debt.  She gets the issues, that is for sure.  But her administrative skills have not shown through clearly in this campaign season.

I'm not saying she is not a good administrator - maybe she is and there is more to it than I see.  But I don't know why we assume she'd be good at managing staff or working on solutions for the economy.

by proseandpromise 2008-03-27 11:02AM | 0 recs
Why Bloomberg?

If Obama needs a COO-type to complement his CEO/Board Chairman style, then we have plenty of actual proud Democrats who could ably fill that slot:

-- NJ Gov Jon Corzine (Former CEO of Goldman Sachs)
-- AZ Gov Janet Napolitano (Strongest administrator among current Dem Governors plus former Pres of NGA)
-- Wes Clark (Former Supreme Allied Commander, Europe)
-- Rep. Joe Sestak (Former Navy Vice-Admiral)
-- John Podesta (former White House Chief of Staff)
-- PA Gov Ed Rendell (former Philly Mayor plus DNC General Chairman)
-- Google CEO Eric Schmidt (he's a Dem)
-- Kleiner Perkins V.C. John Doerr (he's a Dem)
-- GE CEO Jeff Immelt (he's probably a Republican, but has given money to Dems)

by blueflorida 2008-03-27 11:03AM | 0 recs
Re: Why Bloomberg?

The more acrimonious this primary becomes, the greater the need for Obama to pick someone from the Clinton camp as a VP (it seems to me).

Thus, I am liking the Obama/Clark ticket idea more and more.  He is both the COO-type and the military-type, both of which are areas Obama could use help.  Plus he has slight regional benefits too.

by bawbie 2008-03-27 12:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

It ain't gonna happen, you guys are getting all worked up over NOTHING!

by mecarr 2008-03-27 11:06AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?
KathyM I agree with you about Webb but I don't want to see any sitting Dem Senators leave for other offices in 2009. We need as many as we can to get to 60 votes in the Senate.
That being said, I think Gen. Clark would be a fine running mate but I still prefer Clinton as VP.
by hnic357 2008-03-27 11:07AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Doubt it will happen... maybe looking for an endorsement, though... not that anyone really cares what Bloomberg has to say.

And not that this is necessarily set in stone, but hasn't Pelosi already said that a joint ticket won't happen since Clinton essentially burned that bridge (claiming that Obama can't be CiC)?

by leshrac55 2008-03-27 11:13AM | 0 recs

I just remember how giddy Bloomberg was for Bush in 2004

by rossinatl 2008-03-27 11:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

That's back when Bloomberg was pretending to be a Republican.

by stefystef 2008-03-27 12:10PM | 0 recs
by anothergreenbus 2008-03-27 11:19AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

This won't happen in a million years.

by rfahey22 2008-03-27 11:21AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

CLINTON: Well, you know, you can always go to the convention. That is what credential fights are for. You know, let's have the Democratic Party go on record against seating the Michigan and Florida delegations three months before the general election? I don't think that will happen. I think they will be seated. So that is where we are headed if we don't get this worked out.

by rossinatl 2008-03-27 11:21AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

I think she only said that to try and stop people from talking about her getting out of the race.

She's too smart for this. If she takes this to the convention and somehow wins it, the party will be too divided for her to win. On the flip side, if she loses it at the convention she will take the blame for the party losing the race and will not be welcome back in 2012.

As much as I dislike her going on Fox to make such statements, she's got to do something to make the drumb-beat for her to get out stop.

by SFValues 2008-03-27 11:28AM | 0 recs
We do not another warmonger and a fascist

I remember distinctly the fasict techniques used by Bloomberg in the RNC convention 4 yrs ago.

If Obama chooses Bloomberg, that will be it for me. I will choose Nader.

by ann0nymous 2008-03-27 11:25AM | 0 recs
Obama/Clinton? NFW
What woman in her right mind these days would take a position where she would do all the work for her less qualified boss and get none of the credit?
I wouldn't vote for such a ticket and I'm a Clintonista.  I would lose all respect for her.
It's a non-starter.
Now, if she wants to take him on as her paid intern for four years, complete with private jet, that's another matter.
by goldberry 2008-03-27 11:27AM | 0 recs
BAD IDEA!! Clintons and Interns Don't Mix

by Chimpeach 2008-03-27 11:38AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Clinton? NFW

Do you really want to be suggesting another Clinton with another intern?

Seriously, I agree with your point.  As an Obama supporter, I would have no problem with the ticket (and I will vote for HRC if she is the nominee), but I don't see why she would take it.

by edparrot 2008-03-27 11:46AM | 0 recs
What the...

Am I reading things correctly...  Are the MYDDers acknowledging the prospect that Obama will win?  Are they actually suggesting HRC be his VP?

However, IMHO, I don't see either BHO giving her the nod, nor her accepting it.  I see it going to Richardson or another with foreign policy experience.  But, regardless who is the nominee, Edwards for AG!!

by igottheblues 2008-03-27 11:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?
Bureaucratic efficiency is an argument for Bloomberg as Chief of Staff, not Veep. There's this disturbing tendency to think that the next VP needs to be an active, day-to-day member of the administration a la Dick Cheney. I think that's a terrible idea. We need to reexamine what role we want our Vice-Presidents to play in Washington beyond casting tie-breakers in the Senate, because I for one am not a fan of having the second-in-line be the second-in-command. Michael Corleone had it right--find your likely successor, someone you can trust to do the job effectively, and keep him out of the way of the big stuff until he's needed.
by Jay R 2008-03-27 11:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Well, it's worth remembering that Walter Mondale pioneered the concept and Al Gore perfected it.  The Vice-President can be a powerful tool.

by Steve M 2008-03-27 12:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?
Nobody will ever argue that the current VP isn't indeed a 'powerful tool'.
by Jay R 2008-03-28 07:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?
Well, it's better than a McCain-Guiliani ticket, isn't it? And is it possible for an Ind. to run with a candidate from another Party? If so, we might see a McCain-Lieberman ticket. Personally, I would like to see Barack choose Biden or Richardson as his running mate, as both are highly experienced and would be a wonderful asset to him. Plus, Richardson would help get the Hispanic vote.
I think that Barack is only trying to reach out to Republicans who are not completely greedy or bonkers  (die-hard Bushies). Hillary seems to have decided that if you can't lick 'em, join 'em. I will vote for her only if she is the nominee which seems less and less likely all the time. I still have concerns about Barack's electability after the Wright scandal, but at this point I have to be true to myself and support Barack. Didn't Hillary say BEFORE he was her only opponent that any Democrat running would be better than any of the Republicans? Now that he is her only opponent she has changed her tune and she is saying that even McCain would be better than Barack. It seems that her own ambition to be the first woman President is greater than her loyalty to The Democratic Party and even to the American people who will surely suffer if McCain is elected and turns out to be simply a puppet for Cheney, the neo-cons, and Corporate America. I would have no problem voting for a woman for President, but I am thinking Barbara Boxer NOT Hillary Clinton!
And, yes, it is the problem of the extreme partisanship of the GOP in Congress helping Bu$h to veto so much Dem sponsored legislation that is creating problems. The ignorant people who don't realize that it takes a 2/3 majority to override BuSh's vetoes and choose to attack their own Party are only helping the GOP. We need to stop attacking our own people, folks. The enemy is Cheney and those like him and putting another Democrat in The White House and increasing the number of Dem Representatives, Senators, etc. in Congress and around the country
is what we need to be focusing on, not race, gender, etc. Otherwise, we are just helping the GOP slime machine put McCain in office.
by Dee9lvs 2008-03-27 11:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Bloomberg is an ally but not a VP candidate.
Hillary, Richardson,Webb, and Napolitano would be on my short list.

If Hillary and Obama could tone it down a bit,there is a chance for Hillary as VP. Not sure that will happen if they both continue to fire away.

Of course if Hillary is the nominee, then Obama would be on her list also.

Vote democratic in november..end the war!!

by hawkjt 2008-03-27 11:57AM | 0 recs
Hey, where did Jerome's North Carolina post go?

Anyway, Pew/AP has a new national poll out:

Barack Obama, 49 percent

Hillary Rodham Clinton, 39 percent

The two rivals' standings in the Pew Research Center poll have changed little from late February, the latest indication that so far Obama has weathered the controversy over provocative sermons by his longtime pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright. While Obama has a mostly favorable image among white Democrats, those with unfavorable views about him are likelier to say equal rights for minorities have gone too far and to oppose interracial dating. Almost one in four white Democrats who view Obama unfavorably also think he is Muslim, when in fact he is Christian. Obama and Clinton both continue to hold slender leads nationally in matchups against the all-but-certain Republican candidate, John McCain.

by Bob Johnson 2008-03-27 11:57AM | 0 recs
Re: Hey, where did Jerome's North Carolina post go

That poll is so opposite of all the other polls, I give it NO VALUE.  Looks like someone is trying to get attention for their polling services.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/105724/Gallup -Daily-Obama-Now-48-Clinton-44.aspx

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_c ontent/politics/election_20082/2008_pres idential_election/daily_presidential_tra cking_poll

This is more accurate to the real mood of the country.
Nice try from the Obama-bots.  Keep trying to spin, spin, spin!

by stefystef 2008-03-27 12:04PM | 0 recs
You have me laughing aloud.

Nice try from the Obama-bots.  Keep trying to spin, spin, spin!

How is posting poll results without comment "spin" by an "Obama-bot?"

It's called "news."  Yes, you can take issue with the poll results, but why name-call and call it "spin?"

It's posting a news item.

by Bob Johnson 2008-03-27 12:08PM | 0 recs
Re: Hey, where did Jerome's

How much do you want ot bet that the 1 in 4 that think he's Muslim also hate his Christian pastor?

by SFValues 2008-03-27 12:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

i would love to see a post-partisan, progressive ticket like obama/bloomberg.  however, i think obama would be more likely to appoint bloomberg treasury secretary and to choose sebelius or richardson for veep.

by aleather 2008-03-27 11:57AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

>Which actually sort of sounds like an argument for an Obama/Clinton ticket, doesn't it?<

I had thought so a few months ago, but those views inside her campaign (all the Patti Solis Doyle, Mark Penn stuff) have led me to think that competent administration is not a strength of hers. Not being critical, lots of people aren't good at it (including me) -- but if that's what you're looking for, I'd look somewhere else.

Seriously, what's your evidence that "brass-tacks administration" is something Sen. Clinton is good at?

by bcamarda 2008-03-27 12:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

Bloomberg isn't my favorite pick for veep but it would help Obama's electability. The "Washington is broken because of both partys" line is moronic but a lot of people believe it. Obama could drag the 10% of people who would vote for Bloomburg in a general race over to his side. But Bloomburg would be bored as veep anyway.

by bentheben 2008-03-27 12:37PM | 0 recs

A number of problems with Bloomberg as VP:

1. He's a Republican.

1. He's from New York and, hence, brings nothing to the ticket. New York, according to recent polls is an easy win for Obama.
  2. Recent polls show Obama doing just fine with the Jewish vote. He doesn't need Bloomberg.
  3. He doesn't need the money that Bloomberg might bring to the race.

An endorsement would certainly be nice, though an introduction, like this am, is pretty darn close to the same thing.

As a VP nominee, Bloomberg is a non-starter.

by vermontprog 2008-03-27 12:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?
Do the polls show him doing fine with them in the GE?
I have been in need of reassurance on this.
by DemGenii 2008-03-27 01:46PM | 0 recs
Bloomberg

atleast a billion

by Ida B 2008-03-27 04:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

He'll probably be homeland security czar, or whatever that position is called.

by Drummond 2008-03-27 04:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama/Bloomberg?

On the plus side, it would likely lock up the GE for the Dems.  OTOH, I'd be pissed at putting an R, even a convenient R, on the ticket.  F*ck Bloomberg.  When he changed parties, he forfeited that right imo.

by rb608 2008-03-28 05:46AM | 0 recs