Heckuva Job, Condi

Well, at least the State Department is an equal opportunity invader of privacy.

From CNN:

The State Department said Friday that all three presidential candidates' passport files were breached.

Sen. Barack Obama's passport file was breached three times since January, the State Department said.

The admission comes after it was revealed Sen. Barack Obama's files had been viewed three times by contractors. One of the contractors also viewed the files of Republican Sen. John McCain, said State Department spokesman Sean McCormack.

Earlier Friday, Sen. Hillary Clinton's office said that the State Department had notified it that her file had been breached in 2007.

These revelations come on the same day that Condoleezza Rice apologized to Barack Obama for yesterday's news that his passport file had been breached by State Dept. contractors.

"I told him I was sorry and I told him that I myself would be very disturbed in anyone had looked at my passport files and that, therefore, I will stay on top of this," Rice said.

"We are going to do an investigation through the inspector general," she said. "None of us want us to have a situation where any American's passport file is accessed in an unauthorized way."

Umm, ya think?

The State Department thus far has refused to reveal the names of the companies whose employees breached the presidential candidates' files in their capacity as State Dept contractors. Waxman is on it.

The chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, Rep. Harry Waxman, sent a letter to Rice asking for the companies' names and said they should be made public.

The department hires contractors to design, build and maintain their systems and help employees with searches. McCormack said two of the contractors in the Obama case were "low-level" personnel and the other was in a mid-level position with no management role.

The Clinton and McCain campaigns are being briefed on the breaches to their files today. What's more remarkable than the fact that these breaches occurred is how long it's taken for them to come to light. The Clinton breach took place last year, which makes one wonder just how many other candidates' files were compromised.

Tags: breach, Hillary Clinton, John McCain, State Department (all tags)

Comments

Re: Heckuva Job, Condi

I can't say I'm surprised. Nothing like this is a surprise anymore with these people in control.

by Christopher Lib 2008-03-21 09:03AM | 0 recs

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2003/03/0 079525

Jesus plus nothing: Undercover among America's secret theocrats

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080331/eh renreich

Hillary's Nasty Pastorate

by dearreader 2008-03-21 10:58AM | 0 recs
Timing on McCain?

I wonder when McCain's file was accessed. Was it back when he was the enemy of all true conservatives, or was it after he'd wrapped up the nomination and become the standardbearer for continuing Bushism?

by KCinDC 2008-03-21 09:07AM | 0 recs
Re: Heckuva Job, Condi

Now that Clinton's file was also breached, I wonder if Olbermann will be as outraged tonight as he was last night?

I doubt it.

by BRockNYC 2008-03-21 09:13AM | 0 recs

Olbermann gets outraged, that's what he does.  99% of his outrage is aimed at this current incompetent administration.

Sorry if his outrage was aimed at your candidate one night but you shouldn't get the idea that it's every night.

by GFORD 2008-03-21 09:37AM | 0 recs
Re: Yes.

I've watched him enough to know his M.O. and I'm so over it.  He def has a dog in the race.  He makes that plain and clear.

I never really liked the bloviating anyhow.

by BRockNYC 2008-03-21 10:11AM | 0 recs
Somehow the pontificating alongside
oddball with its animal and human gotesques, followed by sex and drugs gossip make me a little nauseous.
Olbermann is basically desperate to bring on viewers any way he can.
by internetstar 2008-03-21 11:20AM | 0 recs
Desperation? Look in mirror. Hillary toast.

by cypruspoint 2008-03-21 04:08PM | 0 recs
Wouldn't tell a lie.

The State Department wouldn't tell a lie, now would they? Of course they would. They do it all the time.

So it surprises me that you (all) are desperately jumping to exonerate Clinton or McCain. As far a I am concerned Obama is the only one with clean hands since he is the only candidate not employing Rovian tactics.

Watch the truth dribble out.

by anothergreenbus 2008-03-21 11:00AM | 0 recs
Re: Heckuva Job, Condi

Hey!

What's the big deal. If you haven't done anything wrong there is nothing to worry about.

George and Dick have repeatedly assured us of this.

What a bunch of Chicken Littles.....

'Course as we've seen from L' Affair de Wright one person's right is another's wrong.

by Pericles 2008-03-21 09:30AM | 0 recs
Files Breached

Didn't something just like this happen during the Clinton administration?

by alhill 2008-03-21 09:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Heckuva Job, Condi

Does anyone think it is strange that only after it came out that the two Democratic candidates files had been compromised did it come out that McCain's was well?

Doesn't it seem a lot more likely that McCain's name was tacked on to the list so that Dems couldn't make a big deal about it?

by JDF 2008-03-21 09:56AM | 0 recs
Re: Heckuva Job, Condi

EXACTLY what I thought when I saw this.  Was McCain's file REALLY accessed?

by Globe199 2008-03-21 10:43AM | 0 recs
Re: Heckuva Job, Condi

Olbermann was a little hectic last night when the news broke, but I do think is primarily focused at the current administration.

His special comments are simply priceless.

by Politivine 2008-03-21 11:23AM | 0 recs