Buzzing against McCain

Last weekend I posted about the idea of buzzing against McCain as a tactic to augment the McCain Googlebomb project start by Chris Bowers.  The idea is to schedule regular "bursts" of anti-McCain memes throughout the social networking-o-sphere, in order to create negative "buzz" around John McCain.  My diagnosis is that many people think they know McCain well, based on hazy impressions left by positive media coverage.  The hops is that a steady stream of negative messages coming from friends and relatives will help clear up those hazy impressions, and encourage voters to deal with McCain as he is - a conservative politician who will be just as disastrous as George Bush was as president.

Today I'd like to flesh out the idea a bit more, and to use this entry to brainstorm the project a bit.  Join me across the flip for more details, and please contribute your own thoughts in the comments.

What I'm suggesting is that at some regular interval - let's say twice a month, for argument's sake - progressives pick a day to "flood" the blogs and social networks with anti-McCain messages.  The particular steps I'm thinking of include:

• Bloggers writing posts which spread the meme
  • Social networkers digging, stumbling, Facebook-posting, and otherwise recommending those posts
  • MySpace, Facebook, and other social network members posting notes, bulletins, or blog posts which reinforce the meme
  • Facebook members creating and joining groups which reinforce the meme
  • YouTube members posting and recommending videos which reinforce the meme; bloggers and others embedding those videos on their blogs or profiles

... and I'm open to other suggestions.  There are more elaborate things we could try, too, such as designing an anti-McCain badge which displays the meme of the day in some kind of catchy way, or designing a contest website to choose the favorite anti-McCain video of the week, or something like that.

I'd also like to think up ideas for anti-McCain memes.  There's plenty to go on here, but here are some initial ideas:

• McCain has a very conservative voting record
  • McCain is breaking campaign finance laws
  • McCain is a Bush lapdog
  • McCain wants to stay in Iraq for 100 years
  • McCain is a lapdog of the Religious Right
  • McCain kissed up to Jerry Falwell to win the nomination
  • McCain is rehashing forty-year-old ideas that don't work
  • McCain is tied to lobbyists

And there are plenty more we could add to the list.  The important point is that each meme should be thoroughly documented and proven with relevant facts, articles, etc.  Those details can be dropped in the blog posts, YouTube videos, Facebook group overview text areas, etc.  That will take some effort, which means, first, that we'll need a fairly big crew to pull this off well, and second, that we'll need a bit of time between each burst - that's why I think two weeks is about right.

If you've got other ideas for buzzing against McCain, I'd love to hear them!  Fire away in the comments...

Update: There are some great suggestions in the comments, including some great additional memes (McCain is a flip-flopper, McCain doesn't know anything about the economy, etc.) I think there's also a point which has yet to emerge fully but is very important - buzzing can be fine-tuned as appropriate. If a lot of your friends have problems getting health insurance, it's probably better to buzz about that issue instead of McCain's violation of campaign finance law. If you know people who admire him for standing up to the administration on torture, maybe they should be targeted with information on his caving in on the torture issue. And so forth.

Tags: mccain, Social networking (all tags)

Comments

Re: Buzzing against McCain

What makes you think this will be counterproductive?  I mean, there's pretty good evidence that small-scale messaging through personal relationships is actually very effective at moving political opinions.  Books like The Influentials, The Tipping Point, and Applebee's America go into the details, and while they may not all be 100% true, I think they do uncover some basic and important trends we should be aware of.  Do you have any reason to suggest this idea would be counterproductive?

Also, the memes I'm talking about are all based on either his policy positions or his actions as a public official.  Re-read the list; I'm not talking about cheating or sex scandals or any of the other junk out there.  There's nothing wrong with attack politics, as long as the attacks are based on "fair game" material like policy positions, actions as a candidate/elected official, etc.  If you don't attack a candidate for public positions and actions, there is no accountability in the system.

I think you are wrong, by the way, in saying "McCain is not Bush".  His style of campaigning is different, and he has weaker ties to the evangelical movement, and so forth, but his whole game plan within the primary has been to argue that he represents a third term for Bush.  So why not hang that around his neck and make him accept that mantle?

by Shai Sachs 2008-03-02 08:23AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

I'm not sure if I totally agree with your conclusion here.  Apparently the 2004 Bush campaign used a variation on small-scale messaging, although not so much for persuasion as for mobilization.  (Applebee's America has more.)  Bush was hardly an unknown quantity at that point, and the approach was very effective.  It helped him drive up his national vote margin against John Kerry, which was part of the reason that Kerry conceded the election rather than fight with a recount of Ohio.  There's a different goal at play this time around, but the available evidence seems to point out that friend-to-friend messaging can be very effective in reaching a large number of people and making a big difference.

by Shai Sachs 2008-03-02 11:21AM | 0 recs

I agree.

I'm very interested in this project and think it could benefit the Democratic candidate.

Responding against one source, like the NY Times, is certainly easier than responding against perhaps hundred of coordinated sources.

by Bush Bites 2008-03-02 02:26PM | 0 recs

the negative buzzing.
Who are you buzzing?
How do you keep this from just becoming political white noise that just bugs the heck outta folks. Makes them run the other way?

This is one of the things that made Kerry unpopular in 2004 and is perhaps making Obama popular in 2008. This buzzing.

Calm statement of facts?
Giving the voter a safe harbor in a troubled political seas.

I don't know. Buzzing just kind of turns people off.

by 12 dogs and a blog 2008-03-02 09:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

This is really just about grassroots activists talking to their friends.  I trust each activist to know what will and won't annoy her friends.

The things that made Kerry unpopular, as I recall, was a right-wing smear campaign.  Buzzing, at least in the sense of intentional and organized small-scale friend-to-friend online contact, is quite new to presidential politics, as far as I know.

by Shai Sachs 2008-03-03 05:23AM | 0 recs

Oh no.

This "friend to friend" communication is as old as the hills. All you've done is changed from the back fence to the internet.

Same stuff. Only now you can email it.

Only it gets old. And can lead to messes like the one you've got now. Has traction for awhile but the conversation goes to something else.

Like back fence gossip it's only good if it is fresh.

by 12 dogs and a blog 2008-03-14 12:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

There's nothing underhanded or otherwise non-straightforward about concentrating emphasis on one (true, documented) problem with McCain and his record in one time period.  But I do agree that it's important to keep everything above board looking as well as above board in reality.

So I personally think that the anti-McCain badge would be less effective, because it's basically announcing that it's a space for saying anti-McCain stuff - anybody who isn't already anti-McCain would tune it out.

But I certainly think the overall strategy is a good one.  I'm always shocked by the number of reasonably well informed progressive folks who still think that McCain would make an acceptable president.

by gail42 2008-03-02 08:29AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

Exactly.  I get tired of people who have heard that he's not a stone age Republican and not absolutely rabid, and assume that he's therefore just as good as the Democrats.  There's an awful lot of daylight between McCain and the Democrats, and that needs to be made crystal clear.

by Shai Sachs 2008-03-02 08:31AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

Those progreesives are like me as I think McCain would mke a good president. He has been tested thoughout his life and has shown te fortitude to stand up to his party several times in the past. These attacks, if not framed very carefully, will not work because one thing people know about McCain is he has loads of integrity.

An example can be seen in Democrat reaction to the NYT piece. On TV, all Democat pols would say is that he isan honorable man and they have never known him to have anyting butthe highest levels of integrity. He coud not bu that kind of positive advertising.

If you want to beat McCain, you have to debate policy. He IS NOT Bush and people will not fall for that 3rd Bush term crap. That dog aint gonna hunt.

If Obama is the nominee, I and many other Americans will be voting for McCain because policies and the future of this country are important to me. I cannot hand the job to a rookie who seems to have poor judgement and at the least a slight contempt for the past and traditions of this nation. I know I am not alone, and attcks like the ones you are advocating will not work and will only increase the number of McCain Democrats.

by joe1119 2008-03-02 06:29PM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

If you're willing to suit up and bomb Iran, be my guest.

by Shai Sachs 2008-03-03 05:24AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

I strenuously disagree with richmond199. Sadly, most people don't give a rat's ass about differences on policy positions. They tend to vote for the guy they like, the one who makes them feel comfortable and safe, the one they think they know, the one they think isn't going to surprise them too much. A lot of people think they know McCain. They have swallowed his "straight-talking maverick" persona hook, line and sinker. The MSM will drop Obama like a hot potato in favor of McCain as soon as Obama has the nomination locked up, and begin pushing that amiable, good old Honest Johnny Mac image for all it's worth. We can't fight that by "highlighting policy positions." We can only fight it by going straight after McCain's image. You can label it "calling names" if you like, but a steady assault on his image will eventually wear away McCain's reputation. Not every hit will be a score, but there is a cumulative effect. God knows, the Republicans have been doing that to our candidates for years. They don't do it just because they're nasty, ugly pieces of crap (although they are); they do it because it works. It can work for us this time - and, as I have said elsewhere, we will have the lovely advantage that our attacks will be true.

by Not the only Dem in KS 2008-03-02 08:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

I agree, and I actually think the nominee's campaign should try to use that fact.

Whenever a surrogate is asked about McCain, part of the response should be something along the lines of "well, we know its going to be a challenge to overcome the media's love for John McCain.  He's been their favorite senator for so long, Chris Matthews admitted loving him and described the media as McCain's base.  But the truth about McCain is a lot different than what you guys in the media like to pretend.  The fact is, he's flip-flopped on the Bush tax cuts, flip-flopped on immigration, flip-flopped on campaign finance, and advocates staying in Iraq for 100 years or even more.  He's an older version of George W. Bush who's been in Washington a lot longer, and that's about it."

by bosdcla14 2008-03-02 09:29AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

Personally, I don't know why, but the term "flip-flopping" seemed a much better fit for Kerry than McCain on an emotional level.  I'm not saying I agreed with it, I'm just saying the term stuck to Kerry because it resonated for a lot of people.

For some reason, I feel a stronger resonance linking McCain to the term "two-faced," or the much less pithy "talking out of both sides of his mouth," which directly takes on "straight talking."

Is this just my own weird issue?

Anyone have anything more pithy?

by Ms Bluezone 2008-03-02 03:52PM | 0 recs
I like two-faced n/t

by bosdcla14 2008-03-02 05:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

Actually, I really like the alternative phrase.  I don't particularly like flip-flop because it was invented by Bush, and when we use it, we're inherently placing ourselves within a conservative frame.  What's more, flip-flop means that whenever you change your mind on an issue you're being silly, which is just not true - there are often plenty of reasons to change one's mind.

Talking out of both sides of your mouth fits McCain much better, since he does indeed try to pander and have it both ways with different crowd.

by Shai Sachs 2008-03-02 06:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

That's why I think the "ties-to-lobbyists" thing is a good first step. Push that whenever you can because it's the first step to showing people that he's a politician just like the rest of them. Brings him down to Earth and into the muck with everyone else.

Or even the "He violated a law with his own name on it!" That's something that people will remember because of it's quirkiness regardless of whether they agree or not.

Remember, the first impression matters more than the right one.

by MNPundit 2008-03-02 10:11AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

So, if Republicans and McCain attack the Obama image, will you cry fowl? If Obama gets attacked as a empty suit who is naive or just plain ignorant about foreign affairs, what will you say?

What if Obama's connection to the Kenyan humanitarian crisis gets criticized? Will you be upset when people charge Obama was meddling in the internal affairs of Kenyan poltics? How about when people insinuate that Obama is partly responsible for the genocide that is happening there?

What about when people really associate Obama with the soon to be convict felon, Tony Rezko? How about Obama's association with the terrorists William Ayers or Dr. Khallidi?

And what about when hateful people attack Obama's race and/or religion? Isn't that the same as attacking John McCain's age?

You guys need o focus on policy. No one wants these personal attaks and the Republicans hve at least realized that. If you can't debate policy, you shouldn't be in politics.

by joe1119 2008-03-02 06:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

If you reread the list I proposed above, you'll see that all of it is focused squarely on McCain's public actions and policy positions.  It is fair to attack a politician based on these things, since otherwise, there is no accountability in politics. The goal of this campaign is to dispell the false notion that he's a maverick or a moderate, and to encourage people to deal with the fact that he's actually a very hawkish, economically uninformed, conservative politician.  His age is only an issue in the sense that he apparently stopped picking up new ideas about 30 years ago, but a lot has changed since then.

The person who's smearing people based on some pretty unsubstantiated BS appears to be you.

by Shai Sachs 2008-03-03 05:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

- McCain admitted he knows nothing about the economy, and his advisers have radically different views

• McCain has no real plan to fix health care
  • McCain flip-flopped on the Bush tax cuts after previously criticizing them
  • McCain voted in favor of extreme stress positions last week
  • Osama Bin Laden is stronger than at any time since 2001, yet McCain mocked the idea of targeted strikes on Waziristan, oops one of those took out AQ #3 a few weeks ago (best w/Obama as nominee)

We should also be ready for his VP selection.

- Pawlenty is not well liked in MN these days

• The evangelical base is convinced Crist is gay
  • Ridge, Rice = Bush
  • Almost everyone else is a total nut

- Play up the "one heartbeat from the presidency" angle to subtly emphasize his age and health problems

I'd also suggest some base wedges, but we have to be careful to not do it in a way that attracts independents.  Posting these on a conservative message board can produce flame wars.

• Gang of 14
  • McCain-Feingold
  • McCain-Kennedy

by Nissl 2008-03-02 08:35AM | 0 recs

Great suggestions!

I too am wary of the idea of base wedges, particularly because the base is already pretty depressed.  Unless McCain's fundraising picks up a lot, or there's some other reason to believe he's firing up the base, maybe we should just let sleeping dogs lie.

by Shai Sachs 2008-03-02 08:48AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

Just saw Howard Dean's interview on Wolf Blitzer, and I thought Gov./Dr. Dean was EXTRAORDINARILY effective, in his message about McCain.

He kept referring to McCain as a "situational ethicist".  It sticks in my mind like little else has in the world of punditry, and I am a political junkie, and I see and hear a lot of political punditry (I know; I need to get a life).

We need to stress Dean's message about McCain's current ethics of convenience.

Isn't that message vulnerable to attack, when we consider that Navy Pilot John McCain spent 5.5 years at the Hanoi Hilton, and refused the N.Vietnamese offer of early release, because McCain's dad was a prominent military guy (admiral, wasn't he?).  What about McCain on campaign finance reform?

On the latter subject, we continue to hammer home what is already out there: McCain is up to his jockstrap in lobbyists, and his campaign finance dealings are as shady as Jack Abramoff (whom he did favors for).  That message is already getting out there.

McCain's Vietnam service can be turned against him, but not in the sleazy dishonest "Swiftboating" way Vietnam was used against John Kerry.

We stress that the OLD MCCAIN was the one who stood on principle, and fought for our country, before being spoiled by Washington, Charles Keating, Jerry Falwell, Jack Abramoff, and Rev. Hagee.  We honor his service in the late 1960's/early 1970's, while in uniform; however, that heroism of a bygone day, doesn't explain what he has done more recently, and doesn't answer the problems of the early 21st Century.

An alternative way to say something along these lines would be to say that in 1970, we needed young Americans like John McCain to step up.  In 2008, we need a new generation of Americans to step up; Americans like Barack Obama.

Carefully crafted, the message ties a bunch of themes together..  McCain's advanced age, "old politics v. new politics", and the situational ethics referred to by Gov. Dean.

OBAMA WILL NEED TO GO ON OFFENSE ON THIS THING, once nominated, to show McCain and the right wingers who are now lining up behind him, that he (Obama) is not afraid, and will not only fight back, but will affirmatively take the fight to McCain and the GOP.

jfrankesq
ps: Wolf Blitzer is a blow-dried fucking conservative knee-jerk hack!!

by jfrankesq 2008-03-02 08:36AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

This is an interesting idea, but I'm not wild about it.  First, because I think there's already way too much warrior worship going on these days.  Second, because it's simply too complex, and I think a lot of people only hear part of a political message.  So if you say "McCain was an honorable public servant in the 1960's, but he has since gone astray", a lot of people will just hear "McCain was an honorable public servant".  There's no need to give the other side free advertising.

On the other hand, I really like the line about situational ethics.  I also think playing up the fact that he's rehashing old ideas, especially set against a symbol of youth like Obama, will work.  I've (unfortunately) seen him speak a couple of times now, and he sounds just like Ronald Reagan.  Well, Reagan was elected almost 30 years ago, and a whole lot has changed since then.

by Shai Sachs 2008-03-02 08:58AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

Very thoughtful reply.  Good work.

by jfrankesq 2008-03-02 12:56PM | 0 recs

A suggestion

Go personal.  McCain cheated on his wife after she was involved in a debilitating accident.  He eventually left her for Cindy, who is a rich heiress.  Cindy hasn't done an honest day's job in her life and stole prescription medication from a charity she was working at.

These stories go over terribly with his base, and my parents mentioned them as the reason they don't want him and Cindy as the first family.

Anyone find a picture of his first wife in a wheelchair?  That would help.

by foxsucks81 2008-03-02 08:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

I got pretty heavy backlash going after that angle the week of the Cindy/Michelle flap.  That stuff is ancient past.  We need to do this very, very carefully if at all.

IMO it's another issue that might be best used as a base wedge, i.e. to depress the evangelical vote.

by Nissl 2008-03-02 08:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

You'd be amazed at the number of people who missed this part of McCain's story. I was vaguely aware that Cindy was his second wife, but I just recently became aware of the sordid story behind his divorce and remarriage. Believe me, that kind of stuff resonates with older women like myself. I agree that we need to be careful with this, but there's no arguing that it's not true, and I think it will help to take some of the sting out of the attacks that are going to be aimed at Michelle. Whatever you may say about her, there's no way she's a trophy wife.

by Not the only Dem in KS 2008-03-02 09:01AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

Good point.  I'd focus on the cheating and not so much Cindy McCain's problems.  The McCain comeback is going to be "I've made mistakes in the distant past just like Obama used drugs/Clinton was a radical, and I've learned from them."  Obviously I think cheating and leaving your wife is worse than either of the others (and happened later in his life as well), but we should be ready for that counter-narrative.

by Nissl 2008-03-02 09:06AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

Let's start tying John W. McCain* to Randy "Duke" Cunningham.

McCain's "national security credentials" are founded on having been shot down over Vietnam.  Randy "Duke" Cunningham was an actual fighter ace in Vietnam.  If we want an old Top Gun for president, let's at least have a good one.

-- TP

(*) Yes, I know McCain's middle initial is not really W.  It's just an "innocent" mistake I like to make.

by Rethymniotis 2008-03-02 09:03AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

I have already been employing this strategy on Facebook. It's easy to do with the sharing tools, and when you have over 400 friends, like I do, a lot of people are going to see what you post on your profile through the "News Feed." College students can be extremely effective this way in influencing other influential people.

However, the list you have brainstormed seems quite shallow, and that's why I would recommend people posting "real" articles about McCain--whether they are NYT, WaPo, or blog posts. This way, you don't have to actually construct the McCain slams, and they seem more legitimate coming from a third party.

I would say that I've reached at least 250 people with negative articles, and comments about McCain using the Facebook newsfeed. The same could be done on MySpace with the Bulletins. If you have access to these resources, I recommend using them. Now.

by The Best Blogger 2008-03-02 09:13AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

I'm running my own experiment with this today on my profile, using Brave New Films's excellent video on McCain singing.  Should be interesting to see how that works out.

Between articles and memes backed up by articles, I don't think there's a whole lot of difference - we should be doing whatever we think our friends will respond to.  And that's the major strength of this tactic - it's easy to fine-tune it in a high-impact way.

by Shai Sachs 2008-03-02 10:03AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

First of all, I hadn't seen your first installment. I'm glad you apparently have dropped the first recommended theme  -- McCain is unelectable.

By definition, if he were unelectable a diary like this wouldn't be necessary.

But I agree with the summation that Google bombing is most effective in low information races, not the presidency. This will sway based on media portrayal, and Democratic commercials. We need to redefine McCain using his own words, on tape. Like Kerry's "voted before it before I voted against it." It doesn't matter how old or seemingly obscure the comments were, they can be shattering if properly packaged in theme. You have to plant a few devastating phrases in the mindset and vocabulary of the American people -- "McCain doesn't know anything about the economy," etc. That will have exponentially more impact than flailing on social networks.

In Las Vegas there's a local political talk show hosted by Jon Ralston. Perhaps there's similar in Arizona and McCain has made wobbly comments, something that could be summoned. Quotes in local papers. You can't afford to overlook any potential source. Like O.J. Simpson's Bruno Magli shoes popping up in an old Buffalo Bills magazine even after Marcia Clark and company insisted they checked everywhere. This is hardly a matter of a simple Google, or relying on base memory.

It can even be ironic, something like Cheney asserting when you win a war the credit belongs to the previous presidency, since he was responsible for building the military.

Overall, I can't believe we aren't making more use of the '90s economy. Can you imagine the way Republicans would hammer the issue, if they were in charge of the presidency during times like that, preceded and followed by economic plight controlled by Democrats? It would be bombarded beyond description, daily by every GOP spokesman and every right-leaning talking head. Yet when it was in our favor we seem to more or less expect the public to factor it into the equation, without being reminded. Newsflash: it don't work that way. When I detail economic specifics to apolitical friends, comparing '90s to this decade, they insist I'm exaggerating if not pure invention. I realize there is problematic scattered residue, like NAFTA impact in Ohio. But overall Obama needs to define Democratic and Republican differences on the economy, and not let go.

If McCain volunteered he doesn't know much about the economy, I'm confident it wasn't a one-time thing. Find old related remarks and it can be a fatal self-portrayal.

by Gary Kilbride 2008-03-02 09:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

Yeah, the doesn't know much about the economy line is pure gold, and should be added to the list of memes.

I do think it's important to spread the idea that McCain is very much beatable, even if we disagree that he's "unelectable".  I think a lot of people take a quick look at the race, assume McCain's positive brand will help him sail to victory, and might either get frightened, or tempted to vote for the guy, as a result.  Defeating the invincibility meme is important - maybe not equally important to establishing other negative ideas, but certainly key.

by Shai Sachs 2008-03-02 10:08AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

Your ideas are too direct.  You need to ask leading questions.  Insinuate, insinuate, insinuate!

Get bloggers to write posts answering these questions:

-Is George W. Bush actually smarter than John McCain? (probably)
-Did John McCain do anything of distinction in the military besides become a POW? (not that I know of)
-Is John McCain too old to be president? (change vs. tired old politics)

If you're lucky, the mainstream media will pick up on these questions and post polls on their websites.

by Anthony de Jesus 2008-03-02 11:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

Actually I like my idea:  If McCain rallies here in NC I plan to attend wearing a McCain button and carrying a McCain sign and chanting "Four More Years" at every opportunity!

by LanceS 2008-03-02 01:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

I think this is a great idea.  As a "millenial" i can tell you that people my age get alot of information via sites like facebook and myspace and constantly send video clips to each other.

my suggestion would be to focus on videos that make mccain look unpresidential.  the problem that needs to be conquered here is that people actually like the guy and many view him as "presidential".  to change that view, people need to see him acting in ways that directly contradict their pre-existing ideas about him.  (if videos like the "bomb bomb iran" thing became viral, they could really change a lot of people's mind about him.)

i think video would be the most effective medium for this because written media is derivative by nature.  it necessarily involves someone telling you something about mccain.  that allows you to possibly discount the message by distrusting the messenger if it contradicts what you already believe about mccain.  however, if you see a video of mccain doing something crazy, you have no choice but to believe your eyes.

by bluedavid 2008-03-02 03:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

one more thing>  i think the most effective meme against him (at least for people my age) is to paint him as a crazy old man that we can't trust to make the big decisions facing the country.

(second place goes to being in washington too long, corruption, etc)

by bluedavid 2008-03-02 03:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

Yep - that's exactly the point.  I've already tried doing some of this with the excellent Brave New Films Bomb Iran video, I think we just need more of it, in concentrated form.

by Shai Sachs 2008-03-03 05:30AM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

Perhaps this is late and not quite what the original author was looking for, but I'd like to see a site devoted to nothing but pictures of McCain hugging Bush.  Perhaps with a side of him cozying up to nutjobs like Hagee.

Call it "Hugs4Bush" or something.  Even if it's a little silly, simply getting awkward pictures of McCain hugging Bush into the MSM would be a major victory.

We might want to wait to go up with that until say September, when swing voters start tuning in.

by Nissl 2008-03-02 04:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Buzzing against McCain

Actually, I was thinking of something like that, although what I had in mind was more of a badge, with McCain hugging Bush and some kind of randomly generated anti-McCain meme at the bottom.

by Shai Sachs 2008-03-02 06:37PM | 0 recs