NY Governor Eliot Spitzer Admits "Involvement In" Prostitution Ring

Not sure what that means exactly but this is all very disturbing.

Gov. Eliot Spitzer has informed his most senior administration officials that he had been involved in a prostitution ring, an administration official said this morning.

Mr. Spitzer, who was huddled with his top aides early this afternoon, had hours earlier abruptly canceled his scheduled public events for the day. He is set to make an announcement about 2:15 this afternoon at his Manhattan office.

Mr. Spitzer, a first-term Democrat who pledged to bring ethics reform and end the often seamy ways of Albany, is married with three children.

Just last week, federal prosecutors arrested four people in connection with an expensive prostitution operation. Administration officials would not say that this was the ring with which the governor had become involved.

He should be speaking at a press conference right about now, anyone watching?

Update [2008-3-10 15:11:34 by Todd Beeton]:Crap, Fox News is reporting that sources tell them that Governor Spitzer will be indicted and will resign. How profoundly disappointing.

Update [2008-3-10 15:19:26 by Todd Beeton]:If Governor Spitzer does resign, Lt. Governor Dave Patterson will become New York's 59th governor and the state's first African-American governor. Huffington Post has a profile.

Update [2008-3-10 15:47:7 by Todd Beeton]:In a brief statement to reporters, Governor Spitzer apologized to his family and to the public. Looks like he was indeed a client.

An affidavit in the federal investigation into a prostitution ring said that a wiretap recording captured a man identified as Client 9 on a telephone call confirming plans to have a woman travel from New York to Washington, where he had reserved a hotel room. The person briefed on the case identified Mr. Spitzer as Client 9.

Tags: Eliot Spitzer, NY-Gov (all tags)

Comments

This may put sex back in the news

This trumps everything.

Very sad indeed.

by puma 2008-03-10 10:27AM | 0 recs
Damn.

What else is there to say?

by Scan 2008-03-10 10:31AM | 0 recs
So far, his term has been a mess

by earthoat 2008-03-10 10:32AM | 0 recs
Re: So far, his term has been a mess

Even the NYT has cooled considerably.

by earthoat 2008-03-10 10:33AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer Admits

So much for his administration.

by rfahey22 2008-03-10 10:33AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer Admits

He better not run for a second term. Crazy, we were all so excited about Spitzer and his commanding popular vote blowout. His term has been a disaster. Just what we need, a Democratic sex scandal as a Clinton from NY may be on the presidential ticket.

by Airb330 2008-03-10 10:34AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer Admits

Let's not get so far ahead of ourselves as re-election, this could be big enough to force a resignation. We don't know yet.

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 10:43AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer Admits

I was a big fan of Spitzer when he got elected but I'd be surprised if he makes it to the next election.  My gut is he will be forced to resign.

by John Mills 2008-03-10 10:43AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer Admits

Second term?  He better resign sooner than that!

by LordMike 2008-03-10 10:52AM | 0 recs
Is it really that hard

to keep it in his pants? What a colossal disappointment he has turned out to be. I once had very high hopes for him.

by godemsin08 2008-03-10 10:37AM | 0 recs
Re: Is it really that hard

People were talking about him running for President one day. Apparently not! The license fiasco (doesn't matter if it was right to do, he handled it poorly), other scandals, and now this. Yikes.

by Airb330 2008-03-10 10:39AM | 0 recs
Re: Is it really that hard

For rich and pwerful men, no matter what their political party or affiliation, keeping it in their pants can be very hard at times.

by spirowasright 2008-03-10 11:13AM | 0 recs
Good news?

You need to get some perspective.

Can you imagine me doing "something like this?"  (Whatever "this" is.)  After all, you know me on an actual human level just as well as you know Obama.

Yeesh.

by bruorton 2008-03-10 10:38AM | 0 recs
Re: Good news?

by mainelib 2008-03-10 10:42AM | 0 recs
Re: Good news?

Good grief.

by JustJennifer 2008-03-10 10:46AM | 0 recs
No Class...

...That's all I have to say.  No class.

by Andre Walker 2008-03-10 11:48AM | 0 recs
What a total nimrod

I have no respect for corrupt politicians.

by Walt Starr 2008-03-10 10:40AM | 0 recs
Re: What a total nimrod

In what way, exactly, does solicitation of prostitution equal corruption? This is classic Righty BS. I do not care who my politician f**ks, as long as it isn't me, and it isn't on the public's dime.

by 1arryb 2008-03-10 10:48AM | 0 recs
Re: What a total nimrod

He ran as the anti-corruption candidate.

Prostitution is illegal in New York.

Ergo, he is corrupt.

It was just a plain dumb nimrod thing to do.

Hopefully, Paterson will be abole to distance himself from Spitzer.

by Walt Starr 2008-03-10 10:59AM | 0 recs
Re: What a total nimrod

Do you even know what political corruption is?

by Trickster 2008-03-10 11:19AM | 0 recs
Re: What a total nimrod

Yes, I do.

Spitzer is at the top of the heap in New York politics, knew of a high class prosititution ring, availed himself of their services, and failed to do anything to shut down the ring.

That makes him corrupt. He is an accessory to prositution when he should have shut the ring down as soon as he knew it was in operation.

by Walt Starr 2008-03-10 11:21AM | 0 recs
Re: What a total nimrod

Based on your logic, Obama was at the top of Illinois politics, knew about the dirty tactics of certain slum lord and still did nothing. Instead, he bought house with the help of slum lord.

Having said that, what Spitzer did is very bad:-(

by Sandeep 2008-03-10 11:28AM | 0 recs
Re: What a total nimrod

You're comparing apples to ducks.

Seriously, part of Spitzer's ability to avail himself of the prostitution ring's services is the fact he would not do his job which would entail he shut them down for their illegal activity.

Please, point me to anywhere where there is evidence Obama knew anything of the illegal doings of Rezko. Spitzer most certainlk knew of teh illegal doings of the prostitution ring, and has already admitted as much. Where's your evidence on Obama?

Please, be careful before you make spurious accusations. I do not accuse Clinton of any illegal actions or knowledge of illegal actions when it comes to Norman Hsu.

by Walt Starr 2008-03-10 11:36AM | 0 recs
Interesting point

So, essentially you're saying that since government officials are part of the law enforcement apparatus, if they break any law, they have somehow violated their oath to uphold the law in return for the "benefit" of doing the illegal act and are therefore corrupt.  I could dance around this issue by pointing out that the brothel in question is in D.C. and therefor out of Gov. Spitzer's jurisdiction. But heck -- let's go for it! IANAL, but a quick glance at some court docs online indicate that a) there has to be a more overt quid-pro-quo for Spitzer's (alleged) brothel use to be corrupt; and b) Although citizens have a long-recognized ethical obligation, there seems to be some kind of a due-process Constitutional objection to criminalizing non-reporting of a crime.

by 1arryb 2008-03-10 12:44PM | 0 recs
Re: What a total nimrod

Ummmm...

Sorry - but character actually should count for something.   I don't buy into the righty framing of "character" meaing hate the gays and control a woman's body -- but patronage of a prostitution ring?

Yeah - that sorta crosses a "character" threshhold.   An affair?  OK - the heart wants what the heart wants, private matter, yada yada... this isn't an affair, it's patronage of a prostitution ring.

by zonk 2008-03-10 11:31AM | 0 recs
Re: What a total nimrod

Soliciting prostitutes is more than having an affair - it's breaking the law. You can argue that the band shouldn't be the law, but for now (and I personally hope forever), it IS the law. And knowingly breaking the law is corruption. How is demanding our leaders follow the law Righty BS? The last 7 years have suggested that that's the very OPPOSITE of Righty BS.

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 11:32AM | 0 recs
He has to go

You cannot remain in office after violating a law that you had previously sent other people to jail for violating.

by fladem 2008-03-10 11:53AM | 0 recs
Spitzer

You know what it reminds me of....a certain former president who couldn't keep it in his pants.

And I bet that will cross the minds of a lot of other people.

Do you think his replacement will be a superdelegate for Clinton, too?

by mainelib 2008-03-10 10:41AM | 0 recs
Something for MyDD to consider:

Moderating the comments section. And deleting off topic nonsense like this.

by JohnS 2008-03-10 10:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Something for MyDD to consider:

If tehy did that, most diaries would end up with two or three posts maximum.

by Walt Starr 2008-03-10 11:00AM | 0 recs
Re: Something for MyDD to consider:

Judging by the quality of most of the posts on this thread, that might not be such a bad thing.

by JohnS 2008-03-10 11:57AM | 0 recs
Re: Something for MyDD to consider:

I don't consider this off topic. He's not slamming the former President, but making a point that this is something that will cross a lot of voters' minds if the media ties Spitzer to the Clinton's. And as far as the presidential race, every superdelegate counts, so that's a fair question as well. I like Bill Clinton, but I'm ok with the post. I'd usually not give it any mojo, but I am this time to balance out the zeroes.

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 11:34AM | 0 recs
Re: Something for MyDD to consider:

Ahmmm... I think she should at least renounce and reject his support. After that, I'm done with it.

by marcotom 2008-03-10 02:06PM | 0 recs
Clinton

never sent anyone to jail for violating a law he had broken.

Just one of the many differences...

by fladem 2008-03-10 12:16PM | 0 recs
The MSM will focus on sex & politics

from Bill Clinton, to Senator Vitter, to Senator Larry Craig, etc.

by puma 2008-03-10 10:41AM | 0 recs
NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

Assuming Spitzer resigns, Hillary loses one more delegate.

by vermontprog 2008-03-10 10:41AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

If he resigned, the new governor would become a superdelegate.  He would be Lt. Gov. David Paterson, a Clinton supporter though there have been stories that he is a reluctant one.

by DaveMB 2008-03-10 10:45AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

I'm not 100% sure that's true...

While certain office holders receive SD status, I'm not certain there's a protocol for 'replacing' SDs when an office holder leaves.

We've gone from 796 to 794 SDs.... One of those - former Cook County Board President John Stroger (probably the 3rd most powerful politician in Illinois).   He passed away in January.  His son, Todd Stroger, is the new Cook County Board President, but Todd does NOT have a Superdelegate vote.

Now... I'm not certain that Stroger had his SD vote because of his (former) elected position - he might have been one of the fuzzy "party players"... but I do know for a fact that when John Stroger passed -- the total SD number dropped... his son, who now holds his former (powerful) elected position, did not automatically get John's SD vote.

Please note... I'm not in ANY WAY implying the Spritzer situation has ANYTHING to do with Clinton beyond the SD implications.

by zonk 2008-03-10 12:01PM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

Actually I saw the claim elsewhere that Lt. Gov. Paterson is already a superdelegate (and on the Clinton list), whether as Lt. Gov. or some sort of party official I don't know.  So the original poster might be right even if it goes by office, if the Lt. Gov. office remains vacant when its holder becomes governor.

Anyone know whether NY replaces Lt. Governors the way the US replaces Vice Presidents?  MA did not when Jane Swift succeeded Paul Cellucci, but I think we might now,

by DaveMB 2008-03-10 12:27PM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

Certain elected Democratic officials (governors, House Reps, Senators) are automatically PLEOs.  Others, such as especially beloved former officials, are bequeathed the status.  Spitzer's successor will be a PLEO too.  In this case, it's the office and the party (D) not the person.

by MBW 2008-03-10 12:32PM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

Yeah - I'm reading some of the same...

However - Paterson was already a PLEO (DNC member- he's listed as a SD as of 2/28 on the DNC's official list).

I assume he doesn't get two votes.

Soo... Paterson now has and will continue to have a SD vote.

I think the question here -- does PATERSON's replacement get a PLEO vote?

I don't think so, right?

by zonk 2008-03-10 12:48PM | 0 recs

SHAWN

Stop troll rating abuse

by Its Like Herding Cats 2008-03-10 11:00AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer
Or he can do a David Vitter: appear with his "supportive" wife and continue in office.
After, NYers are used to odd conduct among many of their elected officials.  Remember Giuliani?
by susie 2008-03-10 11:21AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

yeah but he could get indicted...

he needs to resign, sadly.

by JDF 2008-03-10 11:44AM | 0 recs
Governor Eliot Spitzer

I'm not sure what it means by "involved," but, if it is worse case scenario, I want him to resign and I want Bloomberg as Governor.

by RJEvans 2008-03-10 10:42AM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Eliot Spitzer

Wouldn't the Lt. Gov take over?

Hey, maybe when Hillary loses the nomination she can plan to run for Governor.

by mainelib 2008-03-10 10:43AM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Eliot Spitzer

Yes.  If Spitzer resigns, David Patterson will become Governor and serve until the 2010 election.

by John Mills 2008-03-10 10:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Eliot Spitzer

By the way, Lt. Governor Patterson would join Governor Patrick as African-American Governors.

by mainelib 2008-03-10 10:59AM | 0 recs
Possibly the silver lining

in this otherwise awfully grey cloud. Patterson's a good man and a good pol. I'm only worried that Spitzer is gonna mishandle this, he hasn't demonstrated a deft touch. I'm thinking about the state Senate and the Nov elections...

by JohnS 2008-03-10 11:04AM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Eliot Spitzer

Yes, but Bloomberg could run in 2010, and I hope he does.

by RJEvans 2008-03-10 10:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Eliot Spitzer

That would be interesting. He is a good manager, but people from the city usually don't do well upstate.

by mainelib 2008-03-10 11:00AM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Eliot Spitzer

That would be fascinating.  Bloomberg is like the anti-Spitzer.  One set out to bring down Wall St while the other owns a whole Wall St empire.

by NJIndependent 2008-03-10 11:24AM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Eliot Spitzer

Seems like he is listed in the court filing as a regular customer

by godemsin08 2008-03-10 10:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Eliot Spitzer

BLOOMBERG ??? You're kidding right?  BLOOMBERG ???

by Its Like Herding Cats 2008-03-10 10:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Eliot Spitzer

Why do you want a Republican as Governor... even if he is only a shado GOPer.

by yitbos96bb 2008-03-10 12:02PM | 0 recs
This site is full of faux Democrats...

that won't support the eventual nominee Obama. The same reason they would support Bloomberg.

by Erik 2008-03-10 12:58PM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer
I will wait for his wife to stand next to him.
Spit'z ego, like so many others in power became too large. Who is the Lt. Governor?
I also await a comment from Hillary that infidelity is no reason for him to resign. Maybe it was only a BJ..and not sex. As a Senator from his State she will have to say something...(This will, no matter what she says brings Bill's infidelity out without the Obama camp saying nothing.)
Everything Spitz did right..is gone.
However, when the wingnutz go nutz,
they have to admit how a certain diaper guy of theirs is still there.
by nogo war 2008-03-10 10:43AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

Reporters should press Hill and Bill to comment on the resignation.  After all, they both live in NY and Hillary represents the state.

by mainelib 2008-03-10 10:44AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

Then they should also press David Axelrod to comment on his involvement with Spitzer too.

by JustJennifer 2008-03-10 10:48AM | 0 recs
Two good reasons

for a moderated comments board.

by JohnS 2008-03-10 10:59AM | 0 recs

Unfairly troll rated

by Its Like Herding Cats 2008-03-10 10:52AM | 0 recs
Hustler

I wonder if this is the big fish Flynt's been hinting he has?

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 10:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Hustler

Wow I had the same thought.

by JustJennifer 2008-03-10 10:49AM | 0 recs
Bummer

I wonder if Wall Street set him up. Too bad.

by alexmhogan 2008-03-10 10:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Bummer

Set him up? If he was soliciting prostitution he set himself up, and he can take the consequences. Don't set yourself up as a holier than thou crusader, if you can't take the scrutiny. I can't stand hypocrites.

by godemsin08 2008-03-10 10:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Bummer

totally agree

by bayareasg 2008-03-10 11:29AM | 0 recs
I agree wholeheartedly

Whether he was "set up" is immaterial.

I don't have a whole lot of love for Harry Reid these days, but his infamous brush with a potential briber (he went to the feds, participated in a sting --- and darn near strangled the guy that tried to bribe him) is primer on how you deal with it.

Shame on Spitzer.

by zonk 2008-03-10 11:34AM | 0 recs
Spitzer

What does Bill Clinton think of this?  I hope a reporter asks him.

by mainelib 2008-03-10 10:49AM | 0 recs
Re: Spitzer

You're being an asshole and nobody likes it.

by RJEvans 2008-03-10 10:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Spitzer

My whole family lives in New York and I'm sure they would want to know what Bill and Hillary have to say about that.  By the way, what is their standard regarding the sex lives of public officials?

by mainelib 2008-03-10 10:58AM | 0 recs
Re: Spitzer

It amazes me that the Clinton supporters on this site regularly, on a daily basis, minute by minute, claim that Muslim and CIC smears and doubts about Obama are fair game, because after all, the Republicans will bring them all up in the GE if Obama is the nominee.

But as soon as someone brings up Clinton's past sexual escapades they get troll rated out of existence.

Do you think the Republicans are not going to connect the NY gov, and NY Senator and Bill?  If you think they won't, then you are pretty naive.

I suspect however, that the Clinton supporters are just being really thin skinned, because they know this subject if going to come up and they just want to pretend it won't.

Troll rating is not supposed to be used because you disagree with someone.  There are a few people here who need to check themselves before the moderators check them.

by Its Like Herding Cats 2008-03-10 11:19AM | 0 recs
Re: Spitzer

This is a huge lie.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say it's OK to call Obama a Muslim.  Now I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that somebody has said it, because a bunch of outrageous crap gets said on this site unfortunately, but to lcaim that this happens on "a daily basis, minute by minute," is so far from the truth that it does not deserve the presumption that it is a mistake.  It is an outright lie, l-i-e, an intentional departure from the truth.

As for the "CIC smear," what is it about questioning an opponent's qualification for office that constitutes a "smear"?

Do I think the Republicans are going to connect Spitzer's deal with Bill Clinton?  Possibly in humorous asides on talk show but no, not in any significant way.  It's such a huge stretch that it can't even fit into a Republican campaign, and there have been way way too many Republicans in sexual scandals over the last couple of years for them to want to bring it up.

by Trickster 2008-03-10 11:26AM | 0 recs
Re: Spitzer

Perhaps my point was not clear,  I was trying to point out that the Clinton supporters routinely, and yes on a daily basis claim that Obama has to answer the Farrekahn question, the Muslim question, the CIC question, the Rezko question.  All the things that the CLINTON supporters claim the Republicans will bring up in a general election.

That may be true, the Republicans are soulless slugs and they will bring up everything they can bring up.  including everything from Bill Clinton's past.  But if an Obama supporter brings it up, they are troll rated.

As someone pointed out earlier in this thread, if every comment was moderated, there would be virtually no comments at all.  My point is there is an obvious double standard on the part of the Clinton supporters.  If you cannot see that, then you are not looking hard enough.

by Its Like Herding Cats 2008-03-10 11:45AM | 0 recs
Not about either Clinton

ILHC, I understand your frustration. There has been some abuse occurring. But, people have been TRed here for being obnoxious and stepping over the line. You are right the Republicans will most certainly bring up Bill's past infidelity. However, this Spitzer/prostitution situation does not relate to Bill or Hillary Clinton. Neither one of them was involved or named as a client. To bring it up in the context that some folks did got them either kicked out or TRed for good reason.

by grlpatriot 2008-03-10 12:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Not about either Clinton

Look,  I appreciate your understanding my frustration, but when push comes to shove it doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

You talk about people being troll rated for:

being obnoxious and stepping over the line

Is it stepping over the line to create a diary that is misleading at best, and out and out lies at worst? Here is a diary whose title is in fact totally untrue and leaves the perception that Obama is somehow lieing, and is covertly enlisting others to work on his behalf to subvert democracy.  And yet you recommended this diary.

http://www.mydd.com/story/2008/3/10/1323 38/341#62

The bottom line is that people on BOTH sides of this campaign have totally turned into something very ugly.  I did not support either candidate coming into this election, but made the promise to vote for whoever won the nomination, and I hope it is Obama because I still don't think Hillary can win a general election against McCain.  I guess now I am an "Obamabot" because I want him to win the nomination.

I now find myself spending most of my time uprating comments that were unfairly troll rated, and guess what, the majority of them are being troll rated by Clinton supporters.  Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of Obama supporters troll rating too, but they are far outnumbered. Just as false and smear diaries rush to the top of the recommend list when they barely deserve to be read, let alone recommended.

I want the Democrats to win the GE and think Obama is the best candidate  to accomplish that. Disagreement is fine, discourse is encouraged, but troll rating and smear diaries ard just not helpful in any way. That being said, After seeing the continuous BS coming from BOTH sides, I'm almost to the point where I could really care less about this damn election anymore. My state is going to vote for the Democratic nominee whoever it is.

by Its Like Herding Cats 2008-03-10 01:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Not about either Clinton

Sounds like you need to write a diary about it.

by grlpatriot 2008-03-10 01:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Not about either Clinton

I did, but it was obviously not inflammatory enough as it fell on deaf ears.  People were apparently too busy stirring the sh*t elsewhere.

by Its Like Herding Cats 2008-03-10 01:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Spitzer
Most of us don't think it's appropriate to bring up the Muslim question. I TR anyone who mentions that smear. I don't think Obama needed to do anything other than "denounce" Farrakhan. Personally, I'm bored with Rezko. By the CIC question, do you mean our concern that he isn't the right person to be Commander in Chief? There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying that, especially since Obama supporters constantly talk about how unfit Hillary is for the position.

I have not TR'd mainelib, but I did HR someone else who said Spitzer's wife has just announced her candidacy for the 2012 presidential race because she now has the requisite experience. That implies that Hillary's only qualification to be president is having a cheating spouse. Comments like that don't contribute to the discussion. For that matter, neither do comments like, "What's the protocol for interns once Bill is back in the White House?" Discussing the ways the GOP may attack Hillary because of Bill's previous infidelities is legitimate. Making smartass remarks is unnecessary. I'm not surprised that comment got TR'd.

by sricki 2008-03-10 01:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Spitzer

You,like I, spend most of our effort giving "mojo" or uprating peoples comments.  You, like I, rarely troll rate people and when we do it is usually for comments that totally lack content or are obvious freeper sh*t.  But that is you and me.  There are far too many people who just flat out abuse the rating system, I could name names, but see no reason to do so since we can all see who they are.  I hope it stops soon and I hope people understand that if you want to give it, you better be able to take it.

by Its Like Herding Cats 2008-03-10 01:18PM | 0 recs
This thread is about Spitzer

not about your freaking f*ing preferred nominee for the primary.

by JohnS 2008-03-10 11:47AM | 0 recs
Re: This thread is about Spitzer

My preferred candidate stepped out of the race a month ago.  I think I am just pointing out was is an obvious double standard when it comes to people troll rating.

by Its Like Herding Cats 2008-03-10 11:53AM | 0 recs
Re: This thread is about Spitzer

It's your place to jump in and say things like this to people?

by wiretapp 2008-05-04 12:29AM | 0 recs
Re: Spitzer

You just lied and proved yourself to be another abhoring hypocrite. And I just dont like hypocrites. They are like scum and you are trying to be one thru your blind idolizing.

by Sandeep 2008-03-10 11:41AM | 0 recs
Re: Spitzer

How did I lie?

by Its Like Herding Cats 2008-03-10 11:52AM | 0 recs
That's pretty low
I can forgive an affair in an elected official,
but not this. This is just as bad as the GOP.
by votermom 2008-03-10 10:51AM | 0 recs
What makes it really bad..

if he is indeed involved is the story I just read stated he was involved in a sting in 2004.  So.. one assumes he would know better and just get laid for free like the rest of the world.

by JustJennifer 2008-03-10 10:53AM | 0 recs
not excusing the behavior, but

I think a lot of men go to prostitutes because they think prostitutes are more likely to keep a secret. If you start getting laid for free, who knows when your mistress might get pissed off and sell her story to a tabloid.

Like I said, not excusing the behavior.

by desmoinesdem 2008-03-10 11:21AM | 0 recs
Re: What makes it really bad..

Not all prostitution rings are the same. Spitzer probably went after the female slavery rings based in Russia or the Far East. I doubt he went after the independent escort listings in your local indepdendent paper.

by Pravin 2008-03-10 01:34PM | 0 recs
Oops

When I said involved I meant involved in the prosecution not involved as a customer.

by JustJennifer 2008-03-10 10:54AM | 0 recs
Say goodbye to Eliot

He can't survive this. The knives have been out in Albany (GOP and DEM) for this reformer since Craig Johnson. Spitzer's poll #s are way down post Troopergate and the drivers' license fiasco -- look for Cuomo to capitalize in this as he did re: Troopergate.

This is devastating as the Dems have (had?) a serious chance at retaking the State Senate this year, for the first time in something like 50 years. After last week's special election we are now only one seat away!

I am seriously disturbed out by Spitzer's f*ups! Not sure how this will pan out. One thing for sure, the state  GOP, formerly in disarray, will now be solidly united behind Bruno.

by JohnS 2008-03-10 10:55AM | 0 recs
Prostitute or prostitution ring?

I hope he got caught with a prostitute-- then he could run for Senate and be accepted by his peers like Vitter.

But if he got caught dealing with the prostitution ring iself, then that's another thing.  That would be a real crime.

by Sieglinde 2008-03-10 10:56AM | 0 recs
Spitzer will resign

Just announced on FOX.

by falcon4e 2008-03-10 11:00AM | 0 recs
Re: Spitzer will resign

Finally, something actually pertinent to the actual thread.  What a novel concept.

The reason this scandal is so deadly is because Spitzer ran on being a reformer that would clean Albany up.  But if he just another John or Pimp (has anyone explained what "involved in" means?), then he is just another politican and there is no reason to believe anymore.

I just hope Dems can still take back the state senate, and get Spitzer's worthy agenda passed.  Spitzer as a person, go to counseling.

by DaveB 2008-03-10 11:04AM | 0 recs
Re: Spitzer will resign

I agree - I hope he gets help and I feel really bad for his wife and children.

by JustJennifer 2008-03-10 11:07AM | 0 recs
Re: Spitzer will resign

My bet is, he was a John on the House.

In other words, he obtained services, but never had to pay.

by Walt Starr 2008-03-10 11:24AM | 0 recs
Re: Spitzer will resign

Read the complaint--it's even sadder than that.  He had to haggle with them over an outstanding balance and whether he was credit-worthy enough.

Actually, maybe don't read the complaint.  It's sordid and depressing.  But it is up on NYT and Ambinder--Spitzer's "Client 9."

by Koan 2008-03-10 12:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Spitzer will resign

It is sad... I mean Clinton's affair really didn't have any impact on his governing ability... but the GOP's cruxifiction of Clinton greatly hindered his ability to govern.  I would assume the same would be true.  Not sure WHY they would indict him... yeah prostitution is illegal but that seems a bit extreme.

Amazing... two years ago he was a bench candidate for President or VP.  Now his career is over.

by yitbos96bb 2008-03-10 11:54AM | 0 recs
Spitzer

It's getting to the point where we can no longer trust any ethics reform proposals for our public servants which come from a member of a major political party.

http://www.jeffwartman.com/2008/03/new-y ork-governor-eliot-spitzer-linked.html

by Jeff Wartman 2008-03-10 11:04AM | 0 recs
WHAT are you DOING!?
This story has NO relevance to the primary race.
by JoeCoaster 2008-03-10 11:04AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer Admits

So? MyDD is a blog about democracy, the Democratic Party, and politics. It existed before the primary race and will exist after - we don't need to limit it to one issue or story.

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 11:39AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer Admits

Hmm... was the snark? Is my snarkmeter broken again?

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 11:39AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer Admits

No, the post I was responding to is gone. Never mind.

by JoeCoaster 2008-03-10 11:54AM | 0 recs
Just heard..

whispering that it was a Gambino family prostitution ring.  Wow, if that is true it looks even worse.

by JustJennifer 2008-03-10 11:06AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer Admits

Paterson is also legally blind.

by mainelib 2008-03-10 11:07AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer Admits
He's done a lot of advocacy for the blind:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Pater son
by mainelib 2008-03-10 11:10AM | 0 recs
pretty awesome

for non-sighted actually, if does a good job. (Not that being blind would prevent him from doing a good job, just saying that it would help in overcoming the bias against voting for people who is blind or deaf. Hope that made sense.)

by votermom 2008-03-10 11:17AM | 0 recs
Strangest thing ...

Just this morning I was commenting to my partner about what a strange disappointment Spitzer has been as a governor, given all the FDR-esque hype that surrounded his candidacy. My partner agreed and noted that it reminded him of that line from the movie Double Indemnity: "All this time I though you were a little smarter than the rest of the outfit. Guess I was wrong. You're not smarter ... you're just a little taller."

by Inky 2008-03-10 11:07AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

Why would you make a joke about his wife?  This has to be a terrible time for his family.  You are an insensitive boob.

by JustJennifer 2008-03-10 11:14AM | 0 recs
Spitzer Admits "Involvement"

From Chicago Tribune:

The Times reported that a person with knowledge of the governor's role believes the governor is identified as a client in court papers.

by grlpatriot 2008-03-10 11:17AM | 0 recs
LOL!

Think Larry Sinclair feels the same way?

by Scan 2008-03-10 11:17AM | 0 recs
Re: LOL!

note, this comment was a clever retort to comment that no longer exists. oh well...

by Scan 2008-03-10 11:25AM | 0 recs
Re: LOL!

Yeah, he got snatched up by the collar and booted out. There are other comments that seem out of context now.

by grlpatriot 2008-03-10 11:36AM | 0 recs
Irrelavent

I'm an Obama supporter, but seriously, you give us a bad name when you pull shit like this. This has NOTHING to do with the Clintons, or with Obama, so stop being a troll and spamming this nonsense.

by JewishJake 2008-03-10 11:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Irrelavent

I'm commenting on how the public may react, since I do think that a lot of people will think of Bill Clinton when they hear the news.

But I guess we just can't even speculate about possible public reaction, no?

Somethings can't be said here and some history has to be pushed down the memory hole.

by mainelib 2008-03-10 11:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Irrelavent

Give me an effin break.  There have been TONS of stories about scandals since Bill Clinton.

by JustJennifer 2008-03-10 11:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Irrelavent

This comment is so not worth the mojo I gave it, but it's not worth being hidden, either.

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 12:05PM | 0 recs
Hillary For Governor!!!

by CardBoard 2008-03-10 11:19AM | 0 recs
Re: Hillary For Governor!!!

LOL... Yep, she should drop out and run for Governor...

by yitbos96bb 2008-03-10 12:03PM | 0 recs
"Involvement In" Prostitution Ring

If he steps down, he is also out as Clinton Super Delegate

by Skipster 2008-03-10 11:19AM | 0 recs
Re: "Involvement In" Prostitution Ring

That is the most beside the point thing people have said on this thread.

IT DOESN"T FLIPPING MATTER!

And on top of that, resignation means David Paterson is the governor and he becomes a Super Delegate immediately. He supports Hillary Clinton.

This alters NOTHING in the presidential race and people who are trying to make presidential political hay over it are disgusting.

FUL DISCLOSURE: I am an Obama supporter.

by Walt Starr 2008-03-10 11:27AM | 0 recs
Re: "Involvement In" Prostitution Ring

Except that the new guy will vote for her anyway.  Those terms are miniscule and unimportant right now.

by yitbos96bb 2008-03-10 12:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Eliot Spitzer On A Personal Note

Regardless of what you think of him politically, on a personal note, what kind of compulsion makes someone in his position do this?  And, at the risk of being flamed, this does resemble president Clinton's situation.  Both were men who appeared to have everything, yet they risked losing so much because they were not able to control their sexual urges.  It's very sad and yet fascinating at the same time.

by ruskin 2008-03-10 11:21AM | 0 recs
Re: Eliot Spitzer On A Personal Note

At least Clinton could hide behind the thin veil that he was seduced, I seriously doubt that you just run into $5000 call girls.

by Socraticsilence 2008-03-10 11:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Eliot Spitzer On A Personal Note

I agree - but I got a warning because I asked that question.

By the way, how do you get a warning and what does it mean?

by mainelib 2008-03-10 11:29AM | 0 recs
Re: Eliot Spitzer On A Personal Note

The resemblence is merely spurios and does not exist when examined in the light of day.

With Bill Clinton, the matter was between two consenting adults and involved no illegal activity.

With Spitzer, we're talking about a prostitution ring which is illegal in the state of New York.

The two matters could not be more different.

by Walt Starr 2008-03-10 11:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Eliot Spitzer On A Personal Note

I agree that is different, but I'm telling you, the media, public, and late night comics will be drawing parallels.

In any case, if it does have an impact on the presidential race, I'm not at all clear what it would be. In fact, it could help Hillary since it would remind people of how she has been overcome difficulties in her life and fight on.

by mainelib 2008-03-10 11:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Eliot Spitzer On A Personal Note

These two episodes are more similar than they are different.  Both involved public, powerful men with families, who risk everything to sneak around to have sex with someone they should not have sex with.  The fact that one involved a criminal transaction and the other didn't is really an insignificant distinction.  (also, let's not forget the whole perjury thing that arose from Clinton's behavior)

It's tragic on a personal level, but I also think it raises serious questions about the judgment of the men involved.  If they are willing to risk so much to satisfy their lust, what else are they willing to do (or what did they do when they were in office).

by ruskin 2008-03-10 01:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Eliot Spitzer On A Personal Note

Many men have gone to a prostitute. Just look at the business. Or go to one of those escort forums. It is not a sign of arrogance but it could be a need for sex outside marriage and since our society frowns on affairs, these things will happen.

by Pravin 2008-03-10 01:31PM | 0 recs
Ugh

Ugh, this is freakin lame.  GOPers are supposed to be the ones that pull this crap.  Very disappointing to see Spitzer caught up in this.

by kasjogren 2008-03-10 11:28AM | 0 recs
Just Saying-

All these political guys with their various sexual problems-

Seems like a good reason to elect more female office holders.  Women, in general, don't seem to be so much afflicted.  (Not to say it couldn't ever happen).

by susie 2008-03-10 11:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Just Saying-

That's very presumptuous...  The fact is, there are significantly less women in elected office, so there are less opportunities for philandering to be exposed...

by LordMike 2008-03-10 12:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Just Saying-

When was the last time a woman was exposed for "philandering" while in any elected office - federal, any state, anywhere?

by susie 2008-03-10 12:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Just Saying-

Women cheat at the same rate as men, they just don't need to pay for it ;)

by kasjogren 2008-03-10 08:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Just Saying-

Interesting claim.  May I have your source?

"Women cheat....they just don't need to pay for it"

Let's see:

Prostitutes are prosecuted; johns rarely;
Amateur women cheaters- pregnancy possible; (Ever watch Jerry Springer or Merv "who is the father of this baby?" Griffith?)
Women too tired out from raising children, keeping house while holding a job.

I'll go back to my original contention: if we had more women office-holders - even 50% of offices- we would have much fewer sex scandals and the hypocrisy that accompanies it.

by susie 2008-03-10 09:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Just Saying-

I can't believe there is anyone out there naive enough to believe that women don't cheat but here you go since you need a source.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/01/1 7/earlyshow/living/main667380.shtml

That is on the high end, the standard number is between 40-45% of women cheat.

So no, I don't really think there would be some great reduction in the numbers of office holders cheating.  It is 2008 and women are just as dirty and nasty as men now and don't have to hide behind a false moral code where they have to be all demure and whatnot...AND THANK GOD FOR THAT!

by kasjogren 2008-03-11 06:17AM | 0 recs
This Is the Best You've Got?

So you "don't really think there would be some great reduction in the numbers of office holders cheating" if 50% of office holders were women.

I say it's worth giving it a try, and that's only one reason.  Male-dominated government hasn't been working too well for us lately.

by susie 2008-03-11 11:09AM | 0 recs
Re: This Is the Best You've Got?

No I don't think there would be a substantial change in the amount of philandering officer holders but if you want change just for change sake that obviously doesn't bother me.  I voted for my state's female senator and then voted for America's first muslim congressman so you are preaching to the choir on that front.

by kasjogren 2008-03-11 11:59AM | 0 recs
Troll bait

Todd, this diary has brought at the trolls. Ugh!

by grlpatriot 2008-03-10 11:29AM | 0 recs
Re: Troll bait

You can call it trolling, but there are MSM folks already asking how it affects the Clintons and making comparisons to that situation.

The press will continue to do this and the public will be thinking about it.  Wishing that away doesn't make it so.

One example below, from http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0 308/If_David_Vitter_can_survive_this.htm l
"Illinois State Senator Emil Jones told me a little while ago that he'd been among the few Illinois elected officials willing to meet Bill Clinton on the tarmac in Chicago during the worst of the Monica Lewinsky scandal, and recalled how crucial that (largely African-American) political support had been for Clinton.
I'm not sure whom Spitzer can lean on here."

by mainelib 2008-03-10 11:36AM | 0 recs
Re: Troll bait

It's ugly gutter crap that makes the MSM look bad.

Heck, I'd not be surprised if some idiot from the media asks Obama about it and he comes back telling them how he's perplexed they would make such a question and that the question is ridiculous on its face.

by Walt Starr 2008-03-10 11:41AM | 0 recs
Re: Troll bait

The fact the you bit into my comment just reinforces my observation. BTW, this is just an example of one of your comments that is now hidden: "By the way, what would the protocol for interns working in the same White House as Bill Clinton?"

by grlpatriot 2008-03-10 11:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Troll bait

If you want to do honest political analysis, you have to be willing to discuss how issues will play out in the press and campaign.

And what is your answer for my question?

by mainelib 2008-03-10 11:48AM | 0 recs
Re: Troll bait

You are not doing "honest political analysis". Your question isn't worth an answer.

by grlpatriot 2008-03-10 11:58AM | 0 recs
Re: Troll bait

Again, if you think this question isn't being asked there, you are not paying attention.

I sometimes work with a program that places interns in govt offices and the question comes up, often with a statement about the Clinton-Lewinsky matter.

You can't troll rate those parents, but that doesn't mean that they aren't out there.

by mainelib 2008-03-10 12:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Troll bait

Oh, for the love of Pete, mainelib. There was a jab at the man's wife. How is that NOT trolling? Even if you take yourself out of the picture, and most folks wouldn't today, this thread is covered in trolls and TR abuse both.

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 11:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Troll bait

If there was a jab at the man's wife, then you are right that that was not ok.

However, I have to say that I don't approve of this whole troll rate system.  I really like free speech and open discussion. If you don't like what someone has to say, either ignore it or answer it.  Don't block their speech.

by mainelib 2008-03-10 11:56AM | 0 recs
Re: Troll bait

Andrew, why was this comment of mainelib's worth TRing? It's not worth the mojo I gave it, but I feel I need to balance out the zero. Man, the TR abuse here today is as bad as the actual trolling.

This is not Daily Kos, where it is acceptable to zap every single comment on a given thread from someone who makes two or three trollish comments on that thread.

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 12:11PM | 0 recs
It is kind of pathetic..

that Obama supporters are rubbing their hands together at what they perceive as another chance to sit around and cluck like hens over how this will affect Clinton.  If you have no sense of decency for his wife and children than I don't know what to say.  This is a tragic story for democrats and for this man's family and friends.

by JustJennifer 2008-03-10 11:42AM | 0 recs
Re: It is kind of pathetic..

Oops..screwed up again I meant to say some Obama supporters.

by JustJennifer 2008-03-10 11:44AM | 0 recs
Re: It is kind of pathetic..

As I am sure there will be some clinton supporters who will do the same if Blago gets indicted due to Rezko.

Some people are just giant douches... oh course, Ironically Blago is ONE of those people, but still.

by yitbos96bb 2008-03-10 11:57AM | 0 recs
Re: It is kind of pathetic..

Jennifer, I'm a Obama supporter and will say this has nothing to do with HRC. The party is in trouble, we can close ranks on this.

by PrinceCA 2008-03-10 12:36PM | 0 recs
This has nothing to do

with Clinton or Obama - it simply has to do with a Democratic governor who broke the law, showed an appalling lack of character, and ought to resign.

He's all but admitted the truth of the accusation.

All that's left is his resignation.

by zonk 2008-03-10 11:44AM | 0 recs
Re: This has nothing to do

It is very, very sad.  He is a brilliant and talented man.

by mainelib 2008-03-10 11:50AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

maybe we should just castrate politicians.  too much?  not enough?

by Doug Tuttle 2008-03-10 11:45AM | 0 recs

LOL

they already have castrated brains, might as well complete the procedure.

by Sieglinde 2008-03-10 11:54AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

Or prostituted themselves to special interests.

by yitbos96bb 2008-03-10 12:05PM | 0 recs
This is just a subtle smack at Sen. Clinton...

...And it's just plain wrong.

What davidjohnson12000 is implying is that Gov. Spitzer's wife can now run for President because her husband cheated on her.  And davidjohnson12000 is also implying that Sen. Clinton only won her election in New York because her husband cheated on her and felt sorry for her.

Davidjohnson12000, that is in bad form and bad taste for you to say things and imply things like that.

Politics aside, this is a very trying time for Gov. Spitzer and his family, and we should not be trying to score political points over a personal and private matter.

Shame on you davidjohnson12000.  Shame on you.

by Andre Walker 2008-03-10 11:46AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

how is this comment still visible??

Come one people- pile on. This is disgusting and we should let him know it.

by JDF 2008-03-10 11:49AM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

You're a Trusted User, all comments are visible to you. It's not visible to an anonymous passer-by.

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 11:51AM | 0 recs

I can still see it.

by JustJennifer 2008-03-10 12:23PM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

Yeah, I just realized I misspoke, there are comments I can't see I'm a TU. Huh, not sure how it works then. Sometimes I open mouth insert foot.

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 12:25PM | 0 recs
Can you set

a comment to hide?

It should be gone - multiple people have troll rated it (including me)

by fladem 2008-03-10 12:28PM | 0 recs
Is he the only one?

This prostitution service "Emperors Club VIP" seems like it caters to the powerful.

Who else in Washington and in government is linked to this mess?

I doubt that Spitzer is the only politician that will be linked to this Emperors Club.

by Sieglinde 2008-03-10 11:53AM | 0 recs
Press Conference

He did not resign. Bad news for Dem Party in NY hoping to retake the state senate. Bruno and GOP will be all over this, and they got lotsa practice during Troopergate.

by JohnS 2008-03-10 11:54AM | 0 recs
Re: Press Conference

he'll resign eventually.  they'll step up pressure in the next few days, and he'll bow out.  all that's holding him up now is pure ego.

by Doug Tuttle 2008-03-10 11:56AM | 0 recs
This is one of those days...

...Where it sucks to be a guy.

I know there are women across America wondering why we men can't keep it our pants.

by Andre Walker 2008-03-10 12:00PM | 0 recs
Re: This is one of those days...

I think there are men across America wondering that too.

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 12:08PM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer Admits "Involve

I'm glad he'll resign... he was already on double secret probation for other scandals... Unfortunately, his stepping down is a huge blow to corporate accountability.  All his efforts to protect consumers will now be spun by republicans are mere political opportunism.

I never expected such arrogance from a democrat... especially a progressive one.  Good Riddance, Gov. Spitzer, you've hurt the party... you've hurt America.

by LordMike 2008-03-10 12:06PM | 0 recs
Spitzer's Owners

Nothing significant happens in US politics by accident.  Who did he piss-off?

by 1truthteller 2008-03-10 12:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Spitzer's Owners

Sometimes criminals just get caught, and sometimes those criminals happen to be politicians instead of cashiers or HR reps - this ring was already under investigation. If being in the wrong place at the wrong time can happen to ordinary people, it can still happen to them once they choose to run for office.

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 12:21PM | 0 recs
Re: NY

"It is really silly that prostitution is illegal."

Really that's all that needs to be said. Spitzer will probably resign, and probably should. And remember he paid with is own money, not the state.

by MNPundit 2008-03-10 12:19PM | 0 recs
Re: NY

It's a darn good thing prostitution is illegal. Bob Herbert did a good job explaining why.

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 12:22PM | 0 recs
Re: NY

Unlike Herbert I think those problems which are real are solvable.

by MNPundit 2008-03-10 12:31PM | 0 recs
Re: NY

I have seen women demean themselves in real lives as much as any hooker. There is no statute against golddigging wives who marry 90 year old rich texan men.

by Pravin 2008-03-10 01:28PM | 0 recs
Re: NY

That's more a statement about those other women than it is the prostitutes.

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 01:58PM | 0 recs
Re: NY

The thing is we are  a party that lets women do abortions regardless of the cause. Because we stand by their right to do whatever they want with their bodies. And commerce is involved when a woman has to pay a doctor for the procedure.

Who is the government to interfere when two consensual adults want to trade play for pay?

If there are sad cases then the government can go after those.

by Pravin 2008-03-10 02:39PM | 0 recs
Re: NY

Heh, my girlfriend just said:

"Sex = Legal
Selling = Legal
Selling Sex = Illegal

...wtf?"

by MNPundit 2008-03-10 03:17PM | 0 recs
Resign Now...

The Democratic leadership should come out right now and demand he step down immediately!

by SaveElmer 2008-03-10 12:22PM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer
Ugly, blatant swipe at Hillary. Disrespectful toward Spitzer's wife, a woman you probably know nothing about and have no right to demean.

Nice to see you've been studying the Chris Matthews playbook, though. He'd be proud. Is your leg tingling, too?

by sricki 2008-03-10 12:26PM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

Lonhorn Sam, you gave this mojo??? WTF?????? Disgusting!

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 12:27PM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer Admits "

I'm sorry for his family. As a Obama supporter this has nothing to do with the Clintons, lets put that to rest.

by PrinceCA 2008-03-10 12:34PM | 0 recs
My first reaction was

Oh no! How stupid could he be?!

My second, after hearing that it was caught ina wire tap was... was he set up.. were "they" going after him?

It really does not matter how or why it happened. He admitted to it and the people of NY will do as they see fit.

But, if he was caught because of a set up to try and take him down, then that also needs to be found out.

by kevin22262 2008-03-10 12:36PM | 0 recs
What about David Vitter

If this is "just" that he went to a hooker, why is it that Spitzer has to resign, while Republican Senator David Vitter got to keep his seat?

by dcg2 2008-03-10 12:47PM | 0 recs
Re: What about David Vitter

There was transportation across state lines, so that makes it a federal crime.

by mainelib 2008-03-10 12:48PM | 0 recs
Re: What about David Vitter

In addition to mainelib's comment, there's the statue of limitations argument. Vitter admitted to a hooker from years past but denied the more recenet allegations. The allegations Spitzer is admitting to are current, and it looks like he'll be indicted. Vitter was never indicted.

There's also the replacement argument. If Vitter resigned, then-Gov Blanco, a Democrat, would have replaced him. Spitzer is replaced by another Democrat. It's possible (although unlikely) that Spitzer would fight on if a Republican would replace him, and that Vitter would have stepped aside if Jindal were Governor at the time.

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 12:51PM | 0 recs
Re: What about David Vitter

Yup, apparently it happened a month ago.

by MNPundit 2008-03-10 03:18PM | 0 recs
Re: What about David Vitter

Why should Spitzer resign?

1. Spitzer's voice was tape recorded ordering a prostitute. While it's not fair, the presence of a recording shapes the political dynamic to a huge extent.

2. It's about effectiveness. Spitzer, because of driver's licenses and the whole Bruno-following crap, is already completely ineffective from a policy perspective. His only power lies in his ability to elect Democrats to the State Senate, with the hopes of forcing Joe Bruno into oblivion. His ability to do so has been hurt as his personal popularity has fallen. This scandal will make things much worse. If he can't get anything done from a policy perspective, and he can't generate electoral wins, then he's dragging down NYS Dems and should give Paterson a run.

by ConnecticutHack 2008-03-10 02:26PM | 0 recs
Spitzer should resign

because the NY GOP, once on life-support, will get a whole new lease on life if he sticks around. They'll beat him like a drum. Come Nov, our chances of coming back and retaking the State Senate (for the first time in some 50 years) will be easier to accomplish with Lt Gov Paterson stepping in and leading the party.

by JohnS 2008-03-10 03:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Spitzer should resign

The problem is.  Does NY's constitution say that the Lt. Governor automatically becomes Governor or does it call for a special election?

In 2003 When Gray Davis was recalled in California, the Lt Governor Cruz Bustemante did not become governor, because the CA constitution calls for a new election.

I think it would be wise for Spitzer to stay in office at least for enough time to let this die down, if in fact a new election is mandated by the NY Constitution.

by Its Like Herding Cats 2008-03-10 05:12PM | 0 recs
Federal Wiretapping by Bush/Rove ?!

Is this what our federal wiretapping budget is going for - trapping Democrats (in minor crimes) during an election year?

by jginnane 2008-03-10 12:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Federal Wiretapping by Bush/Rove ?!

I for one rest easier knowing that the DoJ is pursuing major threats, like internet prostitute agencies, instead of minor nuisance crimes like Al Qaeda.

by ConnecticutHack 2008-03-10 02:28PM | 0 recs
Spitzer should have not resigned

Republicans have stayed in office for much worse crimes. Was Spitzer a moralizing crusader on prostitution? I don't see any evidence of that.

This is such bullshit.

Spitzer should have done what the Bushies and Cheneys have done. Just ride it out. His crime did not hurt anyone.

On another note, I really find it tacky for politicians to trot out their wives everytime they get caught in a sex scandal. What the hell? Do we need the understanding doting wife next to you? Just man up and apologize and say you made a mistake as Hugh Grant did.

Dollar Bill Jefferson did not resign. Bathroom stall Republican did not resign. Many of our Justice Department and Pentagon jokers did not resign despite all the crap that has gone on in recent years.

by Pravin 2008-03-10 01:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Spitzer should have not resigned

I would argue that Jefferson, Craig, and Justice and Pentagon officials SHOULD HAVE resigned. That's more a statement about them than it is about Spitzer.

by Nathan Empsall 2008-03-10 01:57PM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer Admits
Was a user of these girls or was their pimp?
If he was the pimp, that is really really bad.
by PrinceCA 2008-03-10 01:20PM | 0 recs
Mack Daddy Spitzer? You're kidding, right?

Do you seriously think the governor of NY was caught pimping out prostitutes?

by JohnS 2008-03-10 03:46PM | 0 recs
Stop the presses

Politician caught with hooker.  Yawn.

by Upstate Dem 2008-03-10 01:29PM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer Admits

Ok, the million dollar question:

WHY WERE THE FEDS WIRETAPPING PROSTITUTES?

While the Feds clearly have jurisdiction in a Mann Act case, there seems to be no clear reason why the Feds would actually choose to pursue a prostitution ring instead of leaving it to local authorities... unless the purpose was entrapping Spitzer.

Don't the Feds have better things to do, like, protecting us from Al Qaeda?

Also, who the hell leaked the wiretap to the NY Times Metro Desk?

Why is Spitzer's identity even relevant to this case?

By no means am I standing up for Spitzer -- aside from the obvious moral questions, his actions were reckless and idiotic in the extreme. But something smells, and this Justice Department isn't exactly known for its nonpartisan ways. Spitzer should resign, but afterwards I think there's a lot more to this story than meets the eye.

by ConnecticutHack 2008-03-10 02:21PM | 0 recs
Spitzer

For those of you arguing that Spitzer's seeing a prostitute is irrelevant to his being a governor (which I don't agree, but accept for the sake of argument), remember that the early press stories suggest he was a regular client, and previously, Spitzer was attorney general.  I think most would agree that involvement with prostitution is perhaps even more inappropriate for an AG than a gov.

Also, Spitzer has so far been very ineffective as governor.  He has wasted the loads of political capital he had on his inauguration with scandals, bungles, and an inability to work with almost everyone of both parties.

Very, very disappointing.  Thought this guy could be in the running for national office someday, but he pretty much has been nothing but a disaster.  This guy doesn't really deserve our sympathy or support here.  He walked right into this one himself.

by alhill 2008-03-10 05:35PM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer
Personally, I don't really care that he broke the law patroning a prostitiute any more than i care that bill clinton smoked pot, and there by broke the law.  (no attack at Hillary Clinton here, just can't think of any other well know example)  Politicans are not law enfrocement, and they are not angels.  I think the issue of character is a subjective one and brought up when you can't justify your reasons for dissaproving of someone else's behavior.
I hope he doesn't resign, this in no way affects his job.  But I do hope he doesn't run for re-election cause unfortunately, people care about a politician's personal life.
Not saying you have to agree, but I hope my fellow Democrats will not stoop to the level of Republicans by chastising others for their personal choices or "moral bankrupcy".  It is agreable however, that this is sad as it may very well end a promising Democrat's career.
by goodleh 2008-03-10 05:59PM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

As AG, he put people away for this very crime.  That is major league hypocrisy, regardless of how you view the morality of it all.

by rfahey22 2008-03-10 07:17PM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer

At $1000 to $5500, she was probably hotter than Hell though!  Or maybe it's just like wine where the higher price is often the virtue.

by Drummond 2008-03-10 06:15PM | 0 recs
Re: NY Governor Eliot Spitzer Admits

I am very disappointed by this, because I deeply, deeply respected Mr. Spitzer.  To me, he represented everything right about politics and I greatly admired his crime-fighting squeaky-clean image.

I'm not going to judge him personally--that's between him, his wife, his family, his faith... but what he did was a majorly hypocritical (not to mention incredibly stupid) act on the part of a former state attorney general and current governor.

At least Lieut. Gov. Paterson looks to be a great guy, and would make history as NY's first black governor.

Wishes for healing both to NY state and to Spitzer's family.

by costanoan 2008-03-10 08:07PM | 0 recs