I feel for their sickness

Wow, how does it feel now for some bloggers, having crossed the line from representing a voice for progressive values to parroting the legitimization of Drudge Report as a news vehicle. It's a sad day when any Democratic candidate have to deny any report on Drudge, lest they be called guilty without any proof.

I can see someone arguing 'anything goes' and 'whatever it takes' in their desire to see a candidate nominated. But you need to ask yourself at what cost? Drudge has done this twice now this campaign season. It's worse this time though, as we have plenty of progressive bloggers that fell in line too, legitimizing Drudge Report in a false smear.

Drudge is a pox on the house of Democrats. It is a rightwing crap site that spews rumors designed to tear democrats down and divide us. I don't read it, link to it, or believe anything from that site. Everyone here ought to feel the same way on this subject, right? We are all agreed?

Tags: 2008 election (all tags)

Comments

Re: I feel for their sickness

Which makes Hillary's campaign use of him as a propaganda outlet all the more disturbing. Their campaign has not earned having a benefit of a doubt on this...sorry.

by JoeCoaster 2008-02-25 10:12AM | 0 recs
puzzle me this...

Why would the campaign's first reaction be "So...what's so bad about the picture?" instead of condemning Drudge for posting it under their name.

It makes no sense unless they did, in fact, give it to him.

by JoeCoaster 2008-02-25 10:20AM | 0 recs
Yes, I agree with Jerome
And with you as well. If Hillary is giving oppo info to Drudge, as it appears her people have, then I fully expect Jerome to condemn her.
by Ajax the Greater 2008-02-25 11:00AM | 0 recs
Drudge has a real problem with this one, now

HE either must produce the email or he becomes even less credible.

by Walt Starr 2008-02-25 11:07AM | 0 recs
Re: Drudge has a real problem with this one, now

because he cares about his credibility?

When has there been any evidence of that.

by JDF 2008-02-25 11:09AM | 0 recs
Re: Drudge has a real problem with this one, now

Drudge drives a lot of fringe stuff to the MSM. If he looks like he's just playing games on this one, he'll be less likely to push what he wants to push.

by Walt Starr 2008-02-25 11:11AM | 0 recs
Re: Drudge has a real problem with this one, now

It's not possible to be any less credible than he is now. In the absence of any credibility, it is impossible to sink any lower.

How soon Democrats forget that Drudge began the first smear against John Kerry in the last election.. you know.. "unnamed staffers", etc. his specialty.

by Catriley sez 2008-02-25 06:02PM | 0 recs
Yep.

by palamedes 2008-02-25 10:13AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Jerome,  How about some web tools that simply make it impossible to post a link to drudge's site?  Is that feasible, because I agree we would all be better served if we never had to see his BS.

by Its Like Herding Cats 2008-02-25 10:15AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Bitching and moaning about Drudge being the premier smear guy on the internet isn't gonna make him go away. Why cede him strictly to the GOP?  Considering that he's is THE go-to guy when it comes getting your oppo crap out to the corporate media, don't you think it's about time for Dems to smarten up? Why aren't both camps (BHO and HRC) busy trying to develop a relationship with the guy. I suspect that Drudge is no idealogue, just a guy who knows what side his bread is buttered on.

And I'm still not clear on why exactly the release of this photo deserves a trip to the fainting couch.

by JohnS 2008-02-25 10:55AM | 0 recs
Shrink Drudge's universe

The more Drudge just has the same old recycled GOP crap, the less interesting anyone besides GOP partisans will find him.

It's like Rush Limbaugh - do you ever hear what Rush has to say about anything anymore, unless you're watching/listening to/reading a GOP/wingnut outlet?

There ain't no news there, so the rest of us have moved on.  We don't care if the hardcore 30% still hangs on his every word.

Same thing with Drudge - why should Dems give him a new lease on life by feeding him their attack info?  There's a shrinking market for this sort of stuff.  Why give him a new market niche to extend his popularity?

by RT 2008-02-25 11:15AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Then why has the Clinton campaign been working with Drudge in the past (if not now)?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/us/pol itics/22drudge.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx =1203951964-dMAs0opE63i43seNuakmjA
    Clinton finds a way to play along with Drudge

...Mrs. Clinton's communications team, led by Howard Wolfson, is not leaving Mr. Drudge to the Republicans. Five current and former Democratic officials said Mrs. Clinton has on her side the closest thing her party has ever had to Mr. Rhoades in Tracy Sefl, a former Democratic National Committee official, who has established a friendly working relationship with Mr. Drudge -- and through whom Mrs. Clinton's campaign often worked quietly to open a line of communication...
(via http://ruralvotes.com/thefield/)

by mainelib 2008-02-25 10:16AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

ITA with you. It's not the democratic bloggers fault that Drudge is now legitimized and can be believed why? Because the Clinton campaign made him legitimate. They leaked to him fund raising figures 2 times.

remember as Marc Ambinder notes; Tracy Sefl, a Clinton adviser was outed a few months back as an informal conduit between the Clinton campaign and Matt Drudge,
http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/arch ives/2008/02/the_photo_cont_cont.php#com ments

Hillary and her campaign MADE drudge legitimate. They made the bed now they must lay in it like it or not. So if anyone is to point a finger it should be at the Clinton campaign.

by jax8 2008-02-25 10:31AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

The Clinton campaign did not even deny this when asked! So how do YOU know that it is false?

Apart from that, I agree that we should ignore drudge.

by marcotom 2008-02-25 10:17AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness
During a conference call with reporters and bloggers today - Wolfson said he wasn't aware of anyone on staff sending that to Drudge.
Obama's campaign sent the Punjab thingy to the media - but no one was fired.
by annefrank 2008-02-25 10:22AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

I don't say it is a big deal. But I find it quite reasonable, given how I suspect the mood is in Clinton headquarters, that they would send around stuff like this. There seems to be some genuine Obama hatred, not only with her supporters.

Can we agree though that this will be old news even by tomorrow and that there is no reason to bring up even older stuff?

by marcotom 2008-02-25 10:28AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

>>>> There seems to be some genuine Obama hatred, not only with her supporters.

Once again - Obamabots are the new Bushies!

Bushies did the same thing - accusing Dems of "hating Bush" when Bushies couldn't debate the issues.

by annefrank 2008-02-25 10:32AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Comparing Bush with a Democrat again?

by marcotom 2008-02-25 10:34AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

What issues, by the way?

by marcotom 2008-02-25 10:34AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

A Clinton fanatic never answers this question, maybe they are too much like Rove?

by gil 2008-02-25 12:21PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

I'm merely reporting news that Obamabots apparently haven't received.

by annefrank 2008-02-25 10:28AM | 0 recs

yeah, right...

You know, as a cult-member, you only hear what you are supposed to hear. But we are so thankful that you saved us with your posts, thank you so much.

by marcotom 2008-02-25 10:33AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

PLEASE !!!   PLEASE !!! PLEASE !!!!!  remove or change your signature line, it is offensive to ALL Democrats.

by Its Like Herding Cats 2008-02-25 10:33AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

she called herself the punjab senator, so it's irrelevant if obama also calls her that.

besides, punjab is not a racial slur, it's a part of india.

by Lazeriath 2008-02-25 10:37AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

I don'tthink Drudge is any dedicated Rethug, I think he's just in it for Drudge. Dems ignore him at their peril. As I suggested upthread, I'd think it would be wise for our nominee to have a relationship with the slimester rather than cede him to McCain and the GOP.

by JohnS 2008-02-25 11:00AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

If she sent the photos to Drudge, then it is her campaign that you should be complaining about.

by dmc2 2008-02-25 10:18AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

The operative word is "if" - and there is absolutely no source for that claim but Matt Drudge.

by jrooth 2008-02-25 10:23AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness
Drudge said it "obtained" an email.
But TPM gladly went along with Drudge.
by annefrank 2008-02-25 10:25AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

This all reminds me of when the Obama campaign gave Drudge a fundraising photo of the Clintons with Rezko.

Yep, if the Clintons did provide this photo (which by the way is a photo that has been around the internets for quite awhile) then it's just using Obama's own game against him.

In addition, it's a photo of HIM.  Do you think the Republicans wouldn't use it against him?  Do you REALLY think that?

If so, you've really bought into the Kumbaya nonsense.  Reality is going to hurt you badly.

by Sensible 2008-02-25 10:20AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

I and quite a lot of other Obama supporters said this s well in Turkana's diary at DKos - (which has been on the rec list all day by the way.)

I remember well when Drudge spread a false story about Wes Clark last cycle.  I don't ever accept him as a source - at most I read there to see what the right-wing noise machine is up to.

by jrooth 2008-02-25 10:21AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

If members of her campaign were circulating this, honestly her days are numbered.  She's done a terrible job managing her campaign (yes, it's ultimately her fault).  Her consultants ruined a perfectly good candidate.

by Vox Populi 2008-02-25 10:22AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

It is really sad that the Clinton campaign chose to do this.

By the way, Obama now leads in the national Gallup/USA today poll -- 51-39 -
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2 008/02/25/700522.aspx

by mainelib 2008-02-25 10:23AM | 0 recs
Wow...

..51(O) - 39(C)..that is a stunning number. They were tied two weeks ago.

by JoeCoaster 2008-02-25 10:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Wow...

The Gallup tracking poll has them 2 points apart. How do you figure?

by LadyEagle 2008-02-25 10:58AM | 0 recs
Re: Wow...

from what I understand...daily tracking polls are designed to give trend lines.

multi-day polls give a more reliable overall number.

by JoeCoaster 2008-02-25 11:09AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

No, those polls don't matter.

by pholkhero 2008-02-25 10:31AM | 0 recs
Not sure why

it would be so terrible if the photo did come from the HRC camp.  I found the "shame on you" a pretty wimpy in response to the BHO camp's Harry and Louise mailer. This is, at least IMO, a more appropriate response. Tit for tat.

Why use Drudge as your transmission vehicle? Well, by now, most of the known universe knows about it.

Both sides are playing campaign hardball, and that's as it should be, considering what we'll be facing in November. But I suppose this'll be yet another thread with both camps (BHO/HRC) tossing bile and accusations at the other for "going over the line" or whatever nonsense from the fainting couch.

by JohnS 2008-02-25 10:23AM | 0 recs
Re: Not sure why

Tit for tat?

Obama attacked her on issues. Whether or not the mailers are accurate is a matter of interpretation but it was still issue related.

The photo has nothing to do with issues it is clearly an attempt at saying either "Is he a Muslim?" Or "Look, he's a Muslim."

by JDF 2008-02-25 11:14AM | 0 recs
Hillary has leaked to Drudge before, Jerome

I don't see much of a big deal in the photo push, though. More or less it provides yet another immunization of a silly attack the GOP could use against Obama any way.

by Walt Starr 2008-02-25 10:23AM | 0 recs
Re: Hillary has leaked to Drudge before, Jerome

Exactly. It's like the kindergarten essay. Said before and I'll say it again, Hillary Clinton deserves better support than she's getting.

But she ought to fire Penn. Now. Today. Talk about a way to change the narrative.

by BlueinColorado 2008-02-25 10:25AM | 0 recs
Hillary could have been the best candidate

Unfortunately, the worth of a candidate is measured partially on the effectiveness of the campaign.

If measured solely on the competence of her campaign staff, Hillary would be dropping close to Gravel territory.

Hillary is better than Penn and Ickes. It's sad that those she trusted failed to deliver so badly.

by Walt Starr 2008-02-25 10:29AM | 0 recs
Re: Hillary could have been the best candidate

The WORTH of a candidate is their campaign? Has the concept of 'governance' simply disappeared?

My Gawd. If we have a candidate with the most modern  marketing and 'branding' techniques, in the business-sense, does that automatically makes him qualified to lead the most powerful nation in the world?

Obama has done a masterful job of branding his candidacy without branding himself, as a person, as the central issue. The campaign and the empty slogan for 'Change' are the focus of the branding. [Note: As a professional staffer on more than one campaign, no candidate runs for office without a sincere desire for 'change' in some aspect or another.]

That, non-personal, uninvestigated campaign, will not hold in the General Election. It will not hold if Senator Clinton simply continues to campaign while refusing to concede.

The almost religious fervor of support at rallies  and on the blogs show the evangelistic tendenacy of some portions of the Progressive when their buttons are pushed in a effective anti-government campaign.

Voting for Obama as an agent for change doesn't mean anything. There is no substance but great rhetoric. No President can command the House and Senate to do a damn thing.

Whatever WH proposal, no matter how realistic, must first pass being modified by a 435 person House and a 100 member Senate. It is that reality that demands a person that knows The Hill intimately.

Rhetoric alone, without a substantial majority, will get the new President nothing. Mr. Bush is finally discovering that reality.

If the deep and vicious divisions in the political blogsphere continue I see a fractured Democratic Party in the fall if Obama fails to win the Nomination.

Clinton supporters I believe will bite the bitter bullet and work for the higher good. I have no such confidence in the evangelistic Obama supporter. The dialogue has been too personal and vicious. It makes 2004 look like a kindergarten playground.

BTW: Jerome Armstrong is the BlogFather of us all. He deserves your respect if not agreement.

by BigDog 2008-02-25 01:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Hillary could have been the best candidate

I would expect one's ability for Governance to be reflected in the way they govern their campaign.  And, by the way, It's not "their sickness" It's Our's! all of ours.  We're democrats here.  We're supposed to be fighting the republicans, the primary should be about who is best for that job, not who's the last person standing.

by cather 2008-02-25 01:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Hillary could have been the best candidate

I have been active in the Obama campaign since the very beginning.  I know of no one...not a single Obama supporter who will not support Clinton if she is the nominee.  The vision that John McCain has of the world is very Cheney, except with more bombs.

Of course there are hard feelings (its the nature of campaigns), but we are adults and we care about America.

by smoker1 2008-02-25 04:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Hillary has leaked to Drudge before, Jerome

She should have fired him after Iowa... Would have saved her a lot of money and even more trouble.

by marcotom 2008-02-25 10:30AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Just wait until Obama is the nominee and the fire gets aimed full-force at him.

We're already seeing previews from the right.

The Hillaryhaters at Obamakos don't get who or what, just as long as it maligns. Yell and scream now, but don't bother to ask questions.

And this is the band of supporters who are going to be the voice of the left if Obama is the nominee against the Right Wing machine?

What a mess...

by GregNYC 2008-02-25 10:25AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Indeed.  Hillary so marvelously defended herself against attacks from the right, that she now has low popularity ratings.

by cilerder86 2008-02-25 10:45AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Look at Facts and the latest Rasmussen that shows Obama's "will never vote" margin is just as close as the one to Hillary's.

Once the media stops coddling Obama in the general, watch his negatives soar.

by GregNYC 2008-02-25 10:55AM | 0 recs
You need to worry about one thing...

if you are Democrat will you vote for Obama? If not get out of here this is a Democratic site.

by Erik 2008-02-25 12:10PM | 0 recs
Re: You need to worry about one thing...

First of all, don't threaten me. I don't know who the hell you think you are but from your comments I just read seem like a peach of a bully.

I don't take that crap...

Second, I don't need an education on what MYDD or any site is from the likes of you.

Obamafans have a habit of insulting everyone's intelligence, but you really take the cake.

Third, it's still the primary King Eric so I can make my case against until O'Holy Obama is the nominee just like Obamafans do against Hillary.

Oy the insanity!

by GregNYC 2008-02-25 07:15PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

This is the worst argument ever. Seriously. It will never ever resonate with a human being who is not personally invested in Obama's failure.

by Lettuce 2008-02-25 11:22AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Ummm...It wasn't an argument.

It is how the Obamafans are doomed to repeat the mistakes of 2004 with their knee-jerk hysteria and no plan.

by GregNYC 2008-02-25 07:18PM | 0 recs
Violence crosses the line

I used to believe that, at least, the HRC-BHO debate is nonviolent.  But not any more.

http://cbs3.com/local/Political.Stabbing .montgomery.2.662239.html

by 1jpb 2008-02-25 10:26AM | 0 recs
Thanks

for taking what is apparently an unpopular stance now. Whoever you support, you shouldn't need to go to Drudge for information or support.

by lepidus 2008-02-25 10:26AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Interestingly that some people are so far gone that they now accept Drudge's word as fact- read the posts above.

by bruh21 2008-02-25 10:26AM | 0 recs
It seems pretty simple to me

If the Clinton campaign didn't supply the photo to Drudge, they would deny it categorically, or they would say that if they found the staff member who did it he/she would be fired.  There is really no need to play dumb here, the Clinton campaign did this.

As an obama supporter, I think this is great.  Let's get as much of this nonsense out now as we can.  As for Clinton:  pathetic.

by snaktime 2008-02-25 10:31AM | 0 recs
Re: It seems pretty simple to me

whats pretty simply is that the same thing you are using now will be used against you later. live by this sword by legitimizing it, and his campaign will die by it

by bruh21 2008-02-25 10:42AM | 0 recs
Re: It seems pretty simple to me

Are you kidding?  Taking this kind of crap head on is exactly how the Obama campaign should deal with it.  Ignoring accusations and slander is what legitimizes it or at least makes things worse.  Did you not learn that from the Swift Boats?

by snaktime 2008-02-25 10:44AM | 0 recs
Re: It seems pretty simple to me

you  miss my point, but perhaps I misunderstood yours. My point is don't legitimize Drudge. Don't assume what they say is fact. ie, because they say x did it, doesn't mean that. The first question shouldn't have been "why did clinton do this?" for the reasonable person. the first thought should have been 'drudge is a known right wing liar so let me take this with a grain of salt." do you see the difference of approach? your question legitimize the source. mines doesn't.

by bruh21 2008-02-25 10:46AM | 0 recs
Re: It seems pretty simple to me

Absolutely.

The "Republicans will smear him worse in the future so you shouldn't respond to smears now" line - just - makes - no - sense.

by mainelib 2008-02-25 10:47AM | 0 recs
Re: It seems pretty simple to me

some of you  may want to wait a couple of seconds to understand a point being made.

by bruh21 2008-02-25 10:49AM | 0 recs
Re: It seems pretty simple to me

I absolutely agree with you.  By legitimizing this story now, it will be hypocritical later when Obama pooh-poohs Drudge as an inaccurate right wing site when they start piling on later if he's the nominee.

by AnnC 2008-02-25 10:57AM | 0 recs
Re: It seems pretty simple to me

I think these sorts of incidents in small amounts can be overcome. However, I think when facing a candidate like McCain (who is equallly liked by the media as Obama is) the challenge is to realize that these incidents overtime can build to provide cover for the other manipulations of the right. Democratic action itself can create the conditions for swift boating. I don't think his supporters who have been using this story appreicate this. We legitimize the sources that will later swift boat us. It's like debate over mandates. Some of his supporters said later that he didn't mean that he was absolutely against mandates, but they  miss that this openning was all that is necessary for the GOP to make just that point. There are any number of examples I can give of how they either are being short sighted, but clearly aren't appreciating it, or don't want to appreciate it. I am not sure which. I just know where the dangers lie.

by bruh21 2008-02-25 11:01AM | 0 recs
Re: It seems pretty simple to me

in other words, a reasaonable supporter would have said in a diary "drudge is a known liar" and written diary on that, and said, don't let the politics of division divide our party. even if one suspected it were true, it would have addressed teh issue, but in such a way without giving legitimacy to it. its all in how you handle a situation.

by bruh21 2008-02-25 10:48AM | 0 recs
The really sad part

is the multi-angled Drudge legitimization... Not only do both sides use it to legitimize something about the opponent, both sides even use the converse to accuess the other side of malfeasance.

I'm in 100% agreement.  NO. LINKS. TO. DRUDGE.  For any reason.

Sometimes I feel like one of the last 2-3 people on earth that have never visited Drudge and never plan to... I honestly don't even know what the URL is - and I do not care to find out.

For whatever little my opinion is worth - I'm fine with one warning, then banned for any Drudge linkers.... for ANY purpose... well -- maybe with an exception for Drudge posting something like "I quit".

IGNORE DRUDGE

by zonk 2008-02-25 10:32AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Oh, yes, she is so smart to NOT DENY that it came from her campaign.  What a brilliant strategy.  No one will think they actually did it, since they'll all know that it so beneath her to deny it.

by mainelib 2008-02-25 10:32AM | 0 recs
Re: I agree wholeheartedly

Except her campaign can't stop responding. Eventually they will get it right....
           "Yes a volunteer staffer sent the picture to Drudge, they have been fired.

Response #1

If Barack Obama's campaign wants to suggest that a photo of him wearing traditional Somali clothing is divisive, they should be ashamed

Response #2

"We have over 700 people on staff. I don't know if someone on our staff sent it out or not,"

Response #3

Wolfson - I've never seen that picture before. I'm not aware that anyone else here has. I'm not aware that anyone here has circulated this e-mail."

by JoeCoaster 2008-02-25 10:34AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Of course, the Obama supporters blame Clinton.

Amazing, they are the new bushies and read just like them. Dittoheads, if you will.

I would call this a RW smear:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/? entry=29048_Farrakhan-Obama_is_Hope_of the_Entire_World#comments

by gotalife 2008-02-25 10:34AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

So linking to Drudge is a sign of "sickness", but LGF is okay?

Got it.

by BlueinColorado 2008-02-25 10:36AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Do you blame Clinton for that smear too?

by gotalife 2008-02-25 10:47AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

No. I don't read Little Green Footballs. Or Redstate. Or any other right-wing hate sites.

by BlueinColorado 2008-02-25 10:49AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Except for giggles or to point out silliness.

I don't know about you, but I spent virtually all day after the 2006 GE on lucianne.com, freeper, etc.

Of course - one should never link to lgf, RS, Freeperville, et al to "make a point" - unless that point is "look at these fools!!!"

by zonk 2008-02-25 10:52AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Well, the corporate media and the RW will smear Obama, so I would not jump to conclusions and blame the Dem.

Drudge is a RW tool.

by gotalife 2008-02-25 10:54AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

BTW, that lgf smear is also on Drudge:

by gotalife 2008-02-25 11:00AM | 0 recs
Re: I agree wholeheartedly

That was snark right?

by Its Like Herding Cats 2008-02-25 10:41AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

It's not Drudge's faults, it's the Clinton campaign's fault for using Drudge as an outlet for their propaganda. Notice how the Clinton campaign has NOT denied that they leaked the photo to drudge.

by mecarr 2008-02-25 10:42AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

My man Al Giordano at The Field is all over this one.  Check out the photos he found....

by global yokel 2008-02-25 10:46AM | 0 recs
It is a pox...

... which is why people are so up in arms that one of the Democratic candidates might have used it in an attempt to smear the other one.

I do agree that a lot of people leapt straight to a conclusion without passing go or collecting any proof. On the other hand, the non-denial by the Clinton campaign is doing her cause no particular good. It just seems like the obvious answer should have been "we don't think anyone on our staff did this but we are checking" followed by either "yep, someone did and now they are gone" or "nope, Drudge did this all by himself to wind everyone up and it worked. Time for decaff."

by Purplepeople 2008-02-25 10:46AM | 0 recs
Let's move on...

Yep. Drudge is just stirring the shit storm and the MSM is in tow. Don't we all have something better to do?

by grlpatriot 2008-02-25 10:50AM | 0 recs
Drudge plays Democrats like violins

And the Obama campaign somehow feels it's more important to tie Clinton to Drudge than to defend a perfectly harmless photograph.  Oh, well--they're the geniuses, I guess.  But pardon me if I don't feel very good about their chances against world-class Republican thuggery.

by Upstate Dem 2008-02-25 10:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Drudge plays Democrats like violins

They don't have to work to hard to do that, as the Clinton campaign has worked with Drudge in the Past.

by Socraticsilence 2008-02-25 11:00AM | 0 recs
Anything goes
boy you've got that one right. I'm watching people who are supposedly for Progressive policies, ethics, truth, facts just throw it all out of the window and embrace the spin like they are Karl Rove puppets.
by Robert Oak 2008-02-25 10:54AM | 0 recs
their sickness

If it's true that the Clinton campaign leaked the photo of Obama to Drudge, then it comes down to this--

Apparently the Clinton team believes that the American people are so xenophobic and unsophisticated that after seeing the photo we will jump to the conclusion that Obama is sympathetic to militant Islamic fundamentalism.

It's really about the Clinton's low regard for our judgement.

by global yokel 2008-02-25 10:54AM | 0 recs
Re: their sickness

another swiftboating post. "if its true' turned to it is true.

by bruh21 2008-02-25 11:03AM | 0 recs
I will continue to read Drudge

How could one otherwise know what is up? What the enemy is thinking?

But I will admit I was very surprised by the level of paranoia emanating from the Obama camp. It strikes me that such a seemingly disciplined, "hopeful" campaign would display such visceral, emotive, plaintive finger-pointing among its supporters towards us innocent Clinton supporters.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-02-25 10:56AM | 0 recs
Re: I will continue to read Drudge

psssst..... it's not "finger-pointing", it's head-shaking disbelief and exasperation at the ineptitude and haplessness of gang that can't shoot straight and still may have to go up against the MSM's golden boy.

by BlueinColorado 2008-02-25 10:58AM | 0 recs
Re: I will continue to read Drudge

We're ready. We're not reaching for the stars, we're aiming for the real.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-02-25 11:25AM | 0 recs
I hope so

McCain isn't Rick Lazio, or whoever finally staggered into the GOP Senate candidacty in '06 (can you name him without googling?)

by BlueinColorado 2008-02-25 11:27AM | 0 recs
Re: I hope so

Yeah, John "Former Mayor of Yonkers" Something-or-other.

He actually had a pretty compelling story.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-02-25 12:17PM | 0 recs
their sickness

I don't know for sure if the Clinton people leaked that photo, but if they did, I regard that as encouraging news for Obama.  It's a signal that they have given up on the idea of winning the race on its merits, and are resorting to desperate Rovian tactics.

It's sad, really.  Hillary is my Senator, and I'd like to see her exit gracefully before she squanders all her poltical capital and diminishes her ability to function effectively in Congress.

by global yokel 2008-02-25 10:59AM | 0 recs
Re: their sickness

You don't know if it's true, but like a good little swiftboating you proceed at act as if it is. This is how the swiftboating of Kerry worked.

by bruh21 2008-02-25 11:02AM | 0 recs
Re: their sickness

You really are too far gone.  For the few who are capable of understanding, this isn't a post about Clinton. It's about Drudge. If you trust Drudge, you go next to question this person feels the need to ask. If you don't, you never get to that question. Why because you don't trust the source. Why? For the same reason you would question the bias of the following question "So, when did you stop beating your wife?" If you don't see your own bias in this- this is getting really scary. It's simple matter of reasoning skills and simple logic.

by bruh21 2008-02-25 11:23AM | 0 recs
Re: their sickness

I didn't dodge your question. I question your ability to think so your question for even asking it. Sorry if you are incapable of understanding teh conversation. i can't help y ou there. There are a lot of courses in basic logic. If a) preceeds b) then b is irrelevant.

by bruh21 2008-02-25 11:28AM | 0 recs
Re: their sickness

No- because the first question is whether the source is one that I can trust. Just like when they were swiftboating Kerry the first question was could I trust the swiftboater. Your lack of reasoning skills  miss how this shit plays out other than how you think it advantages Obama right now in this moment. I am asking how using untrust worthy sources for whatever reasons affects all Democrats. And even before that, I asking whether one should go to the next question if the source is untrust worthy. All you are doing is saying I don't care if the source is trust worthy or not. All I care about is it helps my candidate or hurts someone I don't like. And to that, I say I am not playing your game. Your real problem with me here is I am not playing along. I am not the AMerican public. I am not going to be manipulated by you. I am going to use reasoning skills, and I am going to use them correctly whether it supports a particular candidate or not.

by bruh21 2008-02-25 11:38AM | 0 recs
Re: their sickness

With arrogance like yours, Obama is sure to lose.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-02-25 11:52AM | 0 recs
Re: their sickness

arrogance is where you think that the rules you create now will somehow not apply to you later. you maybe right. but you may also be wrong. given the swiftboating of kerry i am betting on wrong.

by bruh21 2008-02-25 12:25PM | 0 recs
Re: their sickness

by the way, my candidate already lost. his name was edwards. i don't have a dog in this race anymore. i am saying these things because i am logical,and you are syaing what you are saying because you are a) immature b) a republican without a home so you choose obama c) an obama supporter but one who has a really shallow understanding of politics outside of obama (i have friends who are obama supporters who would get my point instantly and would agree) d) just illogical or e) something i haven't figure out yet, but one of which isn't that you know what you are talking about. i've tried logic a few times on you and must conclude you aren't very logicl. again good luck.

by bruh21 2008-02-25 12:27PM | 0 recs
Re: their sickness

You lack critical reasoning skills. Good luck.

by bruh21 2008-02-25 11:24AM | 0 recs
Re: their sickness

Desperate Rovian tactics? You're kidding right? Desperate Rovian tactics are getting a Democratic indicted on trumped up charges of bribery. This is a photo for God's sake, one that I have yet to exactly understand the truly nefarious nature of. But I guess it's back to the fainting couch anyway...

by JohnS 2008-02-25 11:09AM | 0 recs
Re: their sickness

You're right Rove has evolved from these tactics. Hillary is using the Texas/2000 Rove playbook.

One constant throughout his career is the prevalence of whisper campaigns against opponents. The 2000 primary campaign, for example, featured a widely disseminated rumor that John McCain, tortured as a prisoner of war in Vietnam, had betrayed his country under interrogation and been rendered mentally unfit for office. More often a Rove campaign questions an opponent's sexual orientation. Bush's 1994 race against Ann Richards featured a rumor that she was a lesbian, along with a rare instance of such a tactic's making it into the public record--when a regional chairman of the Bush campaign allowed himself, perhaps inadvertently, to be quoted criticizing Richards for "appointing avowed homosexual activists" to state jobs.

by JoeCoaster 2008-02-25 11:27AM | 0 recs
Re: their sickness

Yes, because the fact he actually is black, has the middle name and was in this picture would never do this. How far away from reality are we suppose to get here?

For the record, I am African American, I don't  support Clinton (although for a split second this weekend over healthcare I leaned that way but decided I still am agnostic). What's bothering me here is a) your lack of reasoning skills and b) the disconnect between what you are arguing. I mean- if i wanted to get nasty with you- I could do you like I do my co-workers and ask you what's wrong with the things you are now claimiing is a smear?

by bruh21 2008-02-25 11:27AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

This is so frustrating. Every single post has to generate into name calling. Is it possible for most to agree that Drudge is not a credible source? It doesn't matter if one candidate leak to him or the other advertises on the site.

He is not a credible source!!!

by LadyEagle 2008-02-25 11:01AM | 0 recs

Clinton already is tied to Drudge -- see http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/

Oh, well--they're the geniuses, I guess.

Geniuses, no. Winners, yes.

If ya'll haven't figured it out by now, Obama's like Bill -- he's teflon. Neither Hillary Clinton, nor the Republican are capable of taking Obama down. And as someone else noted, Hillary Clinton hasn't beaten the Republican smear machine -- she's lost to it, and has the 48% negatives to prove it.

by RP McMurphy 2008-02-25 11:06AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Drudge sucks but the slowness of the Clinton campaign in issuing a denial for the "Official Campaign" (i.e. they admit it could have been a staffer on their own initiative but they don't know yet) doesn't do wonders for my confidence in her rapid response campaign.

by MNPundit 2008-02-25 11:13AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Frankly I just don't see what all the fuss is about. I think Obama looks quite cute in that little toga get-up. Obama should just laugh it off and move on. Everyone who is anyone from the Queen of England to Bill Clinton has had to don global gear to get down with the natives. If we are such a xenophobic nation, that Obama cannot get elected because of this picture, then that is indeed a sad commentary and America is in terrible shape.

Obama too has to stop being so neurotic. He is turning into the "Catch Me If You Can" candidate. He wears and discards so many identities only when it suits his needs that it is dizzying. One minute he is black the next not, one minute he is touting his "international" credentials, the next he is hiding from them. Who is Mr. Obama really? Until he is comfortable answering this question in an American context he will continue to make stupid Drudge stories somehow creditable and newsworthy. I think the big story here is not Drudge's stupidity but Obama's neurotic response. Unfortunately Drudge will still be in existence in a would be Obama presidency. Drudge is a public nuisance sadly Obama will have to learn to live with him, God knows all of us mere mortals have to deal with Drudge's toxic waste.

by superetendar 2008-02-25 11:19AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Are you involved in a different campaign I haven't heard of yet? Maybe you've got the candidates mixed up or something.

by Lettuce 2008-02-25 11:28AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

The Clintons are finally back to what they do best: kicking butt. They have been at the dominant end of the news cycle for three days now, and you are obviously having problems with that. I believe we have resolved in this thread that Hillary's campaign was not behind the photo smear, but you continue to perpetuate that myth, even going so far as to say that Clinton should publicly decry this smear against Obama. Why should she waste her time? She's campaigning for the future of America.

I think you're taking Obama's war on politics to an extreme. Perhaps this was inevitable among some in the Obama camp.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-02-25 11:32AM | 0 recs

kicking butt?

hardly.

by alex100 2008-02-25 11:39AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Sure, Maggie Williams' response basically stopped any media narrative that the Clinton campaign was responsible for the smear and even went so far as to psychoanalyze the Obama team for their over-the-top, visceral reaction. Such emotional behavior does not reflect the proper comportment of a commander-in-chief!

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-02-25 11:44AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Except it didn't actual do that because they have had to issue multiple denial (sort of) statements anyway.

Obama was able to deflect the story back into Hillary's lap and now she is having to waste time talking about it...not him.

by JoeCoaster 2008-02-25 11:50AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

There was one statement. And the candidate doing the crying is Obama because of his own shame in not dealing with the Muslim issue as clearly as he should have early in the campaign, thus putting to rest any future smear attacks on that basis.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-02-25 11:59AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Obama because of his own shame in not dealing with the Muslim issue

I know I'm going to regret asking, but...

What are you talking about?

by BlueinColorado 2008-02-25 12:01PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Her style of campaigning has been great.

She's been the only one consistently touting bread-and-butter, kitchen table issues which matter to people who live paycheck-to-paycheck, or are in other tenuous circumstances.

With people like you supporting Obama, I honestly don't think I would enjoy being a Democrat.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-02-25 11:42AM | 0 recs
wrong

Edwards was the only one "consistently" touting "paycheck to paycheck" issues.

let's not get revisionist on us okay?

and her campaign style has been so great that the outcome will speak for itself:
http://us.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/25/te xas.poll/index.html

Hillary now done 4 in Texas.

by alex100 2008-02-25 11:49AM | 0 recs
Re: wrong

done = down

by alex100 2008-02-25 11:49AM | 0 recs
Re: wrong

Edwards talked about poverty, i.e., people who have little to no income relative to the number of people in their household.

I'm talking about working-class and middle-class issues.

If you don't know the difference, read a history book. And when you do, tell me the title, and I'll respond with if it's revisionist or not.

One poll which oversamples Obama voters doesn't change anything.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-02-25 11:57AM | 0 recs
Re: wrong

edwards talked about the middle class on down. I don't need to read a history book to know that.

Hillary has never been characterized as how you're portraying her right now. the revisionist in you is out of control!

and you'll find out, as you've found out on most occasions before that Obama supporters don't really get oversampled. The very fact that Texas is an open primary should be the final blow to her campaign.

by alex100 2008-02-25 12:08PM | 0 recs
Re: wrong

We've seen open primaries before, which Hillary has won.

And the only thing out of control is your lack of any sense of reality.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-02-25 12:20PM | 0 recs
Re: wrong

right. my lack of reality really has taken a toll on obama. he's only won 11 straight, most of them by over 20points and always outperforming the polls.

but we can go back to nH if you'd like. That was a good day for Team Hillary no?

by alex100 2008-02-25 12:27PM | 0 recs
Re: wrong

Here's a tally of pledged delegates through the days and months (courtesy of wiki).

January '07:
Obama 63  Hillary 48

Super Tuesday (the day that Hillary would win the nomination):
Obama 842 Hillary 826

February:
Obama 285.5 Hillary 160

by alex100 2008-02-25 12:42PM | 0 recs

"Resolved?"  Nice try.

by Koan 2008-02-25 03:19PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Pray tell, I would not dream of offering advice to God's appointed! All hail King Obama master of the universe ruler of the Clintons, conqueror of men! Happy now?

by superetendar 2008-02-25 01:09PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

this thread is a real winner sarcasm

penn needs to get kicked in the nut sack, fired, spat on and then some. is there a worse man for democrats?

i still like Hillary, and only because I can separate her campaign team from the person.

mydd should stop being a clearinghouse for Hillary and start becoming a critical forum again. This means going after Penn, the DLC and both candidates weaker positions. MyDD used to be my favorite blog, it is the worst one at the moment.

by alex100 2008-02-25 11:36AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Heh. Ever think you'd be nostalgic for Bob Shrum?

by BlueinColorado 2008-02-25 11:43AM | 0 recs
The natives ?

Get down with the natives ?

So that's what people from Africa are called ?

The natives ?

Keep up the good work.

by DougWatts 2008-02-25 11:41AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

i've got to say that if this photo did in fact come out of the Hillary campaign it woudln't surprise me.

it would not be the first time in this primary that some type of overt discriminatory angle has been taking.

by alex100 2008-02-25 11:42AM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

The point of this thread is to put spurious rumors like that to rest. And you buy right in.

Do you read? You're not running for office as far as I know, so you really could do what the rest of us do: read and listen.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-02-25 12:01PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

you're starting to reek of desperation.

your personal attacks are increasing with little substance.

by alex100 2008-02-25 12:18PM | 0 recs

YES - ABSOLUTELY!

"Everyone here ought to feel the same way on this subject, right? We are all agreed?"

by tomthroop 2008-02-25 11:59AM | 0 recs
False Accusations DENIED
Both Clinton Communications Director Howard Wolfson and Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano deny the false accusations that the two year old Drudge photo came from them:
Howard Wolfson:  I have not previously seen this photograph.  I'm not aware that anyone in this campaign circulated it. I don't imagine that you have any independent reporting to suggest that we did."

Gov. Janet Napolitano:  ...I think it's irrelevant to the issues of the campaign. I know there's some back and forth today; the Clinton campaign says they have nothing to do with it. I take them at their word. We need to move on. The people of the United States, the people out in Arizona aren't interested in a photo. What they're interested in is a president who will lead; who will help them deal with the economy, with health care, with foreign policy, and by the way with a new vision for the war in Iraq.
Now which member of the Barack Obama Complainer Caucus wants to take issue with these two statements?

by Andre Walker 2008-02-25 12:00PM | 0 recs
Re: False Accusations DENIED

Well the key word is I. We now know that neither Wolfson or Gov. Napolitano send the image to Drudge.

Is Wolfson going to check if someone in the campaign did send the image? So he can speak for the entire campaign staff?

I don't think so.

by JoeCoaster 2008-02-25 12:29PM | 0 recs
Re: False Accusations DENIED

is that how it works now?

Drudge launches an unsourced, unspecific smear against a Democrat and the campaign that is the target needs to drop everything and launch an internal investigation on Drudge's say-so?

Will you call for the same behavior when the smears are directed at Obama?  (and, rest assured, when he is the nominee, they will be).

by dcg2 2008-02-25 01:42PM | 0 recs
Re: False Accusations DENIED

all they have to do is say "We--meaning the candidate and the top leadership--had nothing to do with this" which I believe, btw--'but if we discover that some overenthusiastic staffer or volunteer acting on his or her own intiative...etc etc... we will take appropriate actions, and we deplore any attempts to appeal to racism or xenophobia in this campaign".

End of story. It's not that hard. How much are these people being paid?

by BlueinColorado 2008-02-25 02:23PM | 0 recs
Re: False Accusations DENIED

ummmmmm "take them at their word" is much different from   "i believe they had nothing to do". My understanding from what Gov Janet says is well, its irrelevant to issues all around, the Clinton campaign has now denied it so I'll take their word for it.

remember it took the Clinton campaign until this afternoon to categorically deny they had anything with the photo to drudge even then it was more a "I'm not aware, not sanctioned" as opposed to no way did we do it and if we find someone did they'll be kicked out of the campaign

by jax8 2008-02-25 12:42PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Why should the Clinton campaign have to deny anything when her name isn't tied to anything?

by nzubechukwu 2008-02-25 12:18PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

hence the swiftboating. the people above don't understand teh nature of swiftboating. it works because of its assumption of being true. so the bias of the listener allows them to run with what they already want to believe. she's evild therefore she's evil kind of thinking.

by bruh21 2008-02-25 12:29PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Exactly. Why is it always assumed that no matter who makes what ludicrous attacks, that it is always Clinton's campaign doing it? You first have to ask the question: who gains by it? The only ones who gain by this are: a) the Republicans; b) Obama himself, since he can take up a whole news cycle yet again calling Hillary a racist.

Personally, I suspect Axelrod. It has been his MO this whole campaign that any time Hillary is winning a news cycle, as she has this weekend, or something potentially embarrassing comes up with respect to Obama - such as getting an endorsement yesterday by Louis Farrakhan - or the upcoming Rezko trial - then suddenly some ugly picture or email surfaces that supposedly Hillary's campaign put out. There is never any proof, mind you. But they are cynical to know that the MSM is always going to pile on Hillary with just the tiniest bit of excuse. Anyone who really looks at the evidence knows where the race-baiting started prior to SC. And it is very plain to me now.

by CognitiveDissonance 2008-02-25 12:39PM | 0 recs
I agree

this was put out by the Obama campaign.

Agent provocatuer; the oldest trick.

by bigbay 2008-02-25 01:24PM | 0 recs
Audience

The decision to link or not to link should be based on who we might affect, i.e., the liberal blog audience. We are the smart liberal guys and gals at parties, not a voter with latent racism that happened upon a Drudge link on day. We need to know what goes on on Drudge, so that we can fight it in those arguments with that guy (with the latent racism) at a party.

by IsaacGol 2008-02-25 12:24PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

You're right, and campaigns shouldn't legitimize Drudge by leaking, say, fundraising numbers to Drudge so he gets the scoop.

Right?

Of course not.

I guess I'll get inappropriately troll-rated now for pointing out the obvious.

by Dave Sund 2008-02-25 12:36PM | 0 recs
Drudge Blows but

you leading "liberal" bloggers might want to police the right side of your webpages a bit better to as Drudge-esque stories constantly pop up there about the Democratic candidates.

by illlaw1 2008-02-25 12:42PM | 0 recs
Of course someone could have sent it

Someone who is a little overzealous or a little dense who happens to be a volunteer or a supporter could have, I suppose.  Does that mean it was directed by the main campaign?

An Obama precinct captain in Nevada sent out flyers encouraging Clinton hating Republicans to vote for Obama in the Democratic primary as a way of hurting Hillary.  The Obama campaign claims they had nothing to do with this initiative.  I believe them.

by lombard 2008-02-25 01:16PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

When asked about the photo,  (from MSNBC)

"The Clinton campaign did not comment on the distribution of the photo, but campaign manager Maggie Williams said the Obama campaign's reaction was inflaming passions and distracting voters."

Got to hand it to Clinton for pulling a solid Republican trick, too bad it was against a fellow Dem.

by shoeshine boy 2008-02-25 01:32PM | 0 recs
Amen

Legitimizing Drudge in the name of winning a primary is just a terrible idea long term.

It's a wonder that Hillary gets smeared with the "she'll do anything to win" label, rather than her opponent who legitimizes Matt Freakin' Drudge.

by dcg2 2008-02-25 01:38PM | 0 recs
a wonder indeed

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/oct /23/usa.hillaryclinton1

by BlueinColorado 2008-02-25 02:35PM | 0 recs
Re: a wonder indeed

I know about those articles.  I also know there isn't a single named source in them, which makes it about as credible as the allegation in the Obama/Canadian NAFTA story.

More to the point, can you name a single example of Hillary pouncing on an unsourced Drudge rumor to attack Obama with (as if the unsourced Drudge rumor has credibility)?

by dcg2 2008-02-28 12:33PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Supposedly this cutsie photo has been public domain for a couple of years and floating around the blogs for some months. So then, how could the Hillary campaign provide it to Drudge? I mean it's pretty fantastic and hilarious the uproar over it.

What about the picture of Obama with that Kenyan leader/ cousin whose followers are hacking up their own peeps? Now that's a picture to be ashamed of.

by India 2008-02-25 01:42PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Wow. That's disgusting on so many levels.

by BlueinColorado 2008-02-25 03:11PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Why is the picture bad? You do know, everyone, don't you that you don't get to whine about it (or anything similar) in November?  The picture is the picture. It isn't going away; and, it has been out there for awhile now.  Are we so stupid that we can't see that it has nothing to do with how it got out there.  This is a lot of "sound and fury signifying nothing."  Think.  I am a Hillary Clinton supporter, but if I thought for a moment that she would be subject to a lot of new/surprise/devastating attacks, I would reconsider.  Think about your man--leave the obstinancy and see where this is going in November.

by christinep 2008-02-25 02:50PM | 0 recs

Such ominous condescension....

Do you really want to play the "what Republicans will do" game?

Why didn't Clinton release her tax returns? What's she hiding? What kind of business deals has Bill made with donors?

BOO! SCARY!!

by BlueinColorado 2008-02-25 02:59PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Honestly?  I read Drudge all the damn time now that the primary got as dramatic as it did.  That's exactly what Drudge is good for - newsertainment.  Whenever I feel like I'm overdoing it, I shoot right back over to the Huffington Post to counteract whatever bad karma I picked up.

Also, I eat Chick-fil-A ALL the time and that money just goes to the GOP.

But, I don't use Netflix, that money goes to the right wing too.  Those envelopes aren't just red for no reason.

by Cloudspitter 2008-02-25 04:56PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

I think Obama released the photo to Drudge.  Here's why:  He was quick to play victim and without any evidence, shamelessly accuse Hillary of divisiveness. What is divisive about a photo of him wearing traditional Somali clothing unless you frame the discussion of the photo as divisive?  He would have been more believable had he said, "So what, no big deal, Hillary and many other politicians have worn the traditional clothing of countries they visited." Instead he whines, as usual, and Obama lovers everywhere feel sorry for him and send him money to get even with that mean old Hillary.  Meanwhile, the media stops giving Hillary headlines for handing Obama's ass to him the last few days. Bitch is the new Black.  You go girl!

by lowdowndog 2008-02-25 05:58PM | 0 recs
Re: it's a sickness alright.

Remember the good old days when Democrats despised Drudge? It seems like just yesterday, when I was still at DU before it turned into Democratic Cage-Fighting Underground, we would chastise other members for linking to Drudge. It was a sin equal to posting things from the Freepers.

Now.. today.. because it's politically useful for some Democrats, he is linked and discussed as though he's credible (because it serves their purpose today.) Someone posted that Obama actually purchased ads on Drudge Report. That would be a deep disappointment if it were true.

Folks.. before you start trying to legitimize Drudge, remember that HE and HE ALONE began the first smear against John Kerry in the last election.  Remember that? The young woman he was supposedly involved with, which turned out to be a complete and total lie that hurt a lot of people.

So Drudge is who the Democrats are now relying on for info?  How low some people have sunk to advance their own interests.

by Catriley sez 2008-02-25 05:59PM | 0 recs
Re: I feel for their sickness

Perhaps it wouldn't be so easy to believe Drudge if Clinton didn't surround herself with lethally stupid people such as Stephanie Tubbs Jones:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/th e_daily_dish/2008/02/in-his-native-c.htm l

by pcjnyc 2008-02-26 07:35AM | 0 recs
Looks like it originated with Freepers?

Check the date (2/23):

http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/197 5275/posts?page=168

and a comment: "Good Job, it needs to get to Drudge,M.Malkin,Debbie Schussel etc....I want to see his explanation on this."

and then boom it appears on Drudge but attributed to Clinton?

by Plange 2008-02-26 10:41AM | 0 recs