OH-15: Kilroy Wins!

This race was trending toward Kilroy as more votes were counted so this isn't the most surprising development in the world, but it is certainly a welcome one after seeing way too many close House races go to the Republican.

From The Columbus Dispatch:

Now it's official: Mary Jo Kilroy will be going to Washington as the first Democrat to represent any part of Franklin County in Congress in a generation.

Final vote tallies released this evening by the Franklin County Board of Elections show that Kilroy defeated Republican state Sen. Steve Stivers by 2,311 votes out of 304,053, outside of the 0.5 percent margin to trigger a recount. [...]

"In Washington, I will work together with Democrats, Republicans, and President-elect Obama to tackle the real problems that our community faces. Over the next few days I will be in contact with Rep. Deborah Pryce to begin a smooth transition so that no constituent services are delayed during these tough economic times."

This win is especially sweet for a couple of other reasons. First, Kilroy is a real progressive and will be a great addition to Obama's majority in the House; and second, after seeing Trauner, Brown and Burner suffer their second consecutive defeats, it's nice to see one of our 2006 challengers win this time around.

Tags: maryjo kilroy, OH-15 (all tags)

Comments

I find it disturbing

that nearly 10 percent of the electorate in this district had to cast provisional ballots.

I don't know what the national average is, but that seems like way too high a number.

by desmoinesdem 2008-12-07 03:55PM | 0 recs
Re: I find it disturbing

I agree with you but I think its legit (by which i mean according to the letter of the law, not the spirit of democracy).  I live right across from the 15th (its gerrymandered like crazy) and I believe its a high student and young population, who move a lot and forget to reregister and have to cast provisional ballots.  That said, this district is probably a good demonstration of why we need universal registration.

by goodleh 2008-12-07 04:17PM | 0 recs
Re: OH-15: Kilroy Wins!

Feels damn good knowing I voted for a winner. There was a lot of confusion about the voter ID law and some of the machines broke but for the most part things went well on Election Day. Congratulations (Rep.) Mary Jo Kilroy!

by bsavage 2008-12-07 04:18PM | 0 recs
Re: OH-15: Kilroy Wins!

I'm soooooo glad that Kilroy won.  She works hard and really cares about people.  She also won without getting any money from oil PACs, like her opponent.  Kilroy worked very closely with student volunteers from The Ohio State University. She appeared on stage before the free Bruce Springsteen concert on the OSU Oval and made a strong effort to encourage volunteers at all the Campaign for Change offices.

I was part of a team that worked for Obama on the outside of the polls on election day.  It seemed as though a large number of provisional ballots were given to voters in the precinct I worked because of a lack of training for poll workers. Also, the same precinct had several poll workers who were no-shows.

by Marie Smith 2008-12-07 04:44PM | 0 recs
Larry Kissell

was another unsuccessful 2006 challenger who won in 2008 (NC-08).

But you are right, it was a bad year for second chances. I was particularly disappointed to see Linda Stender lose again in NJ-07.

by desmoinesdem 2008-12-07 04:49PM | 0 recs
And let's not overlook Maffei and Massa in NY! : )

Really, it wasn't toooo bad a year for second chances...

by JFMDC 2008-12-07 05:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Larry Kissell

and Jeanne Shaheen, sort of

by micha1976 2008-12-08 08:58AM | 0 recs
Re: OH-15: Kilroy Wins!

Stivers was just delaying the inevitable.  Kilroy picked up a few thousand in 2006 and it looks like she did it again.  We'll hold this seat for a long tim.

by Skaje 2008-12-08 12:22AM | 0 recs