Joe Biden To Help Hillary Clinton Retire Debt

Vice President-elect Biden will be headlining an upcoming fundraiser to help Hillary Clinton retire the remainder of her campaign debt. Gov. Ed Rendell and Sen. Bob Casey will be there as well.

Per Ben Smith:

Hillary Clinton's debt relief project (or, as the reader who spotted this referred to it, the Mark Penn Restitution Fund) will get a boost from Vice President-elect Joe Biden on Jan. 7.

He and Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell will headline a Philadelphia fundraiser for her that day.

The big guns are coming out as the time remaining for Clinton to raise money toward her debt dwindles. Jon Bon Jovi is helping out as well.

Tags: Hillary Clinton, joe biden (all tags)

Comments

Help Hillary Clinton Retire Debt

Just last week, she absorbed $13 million of her remaining debt. Clinton's campaign still owes about $6.3 million to various vendors but of that $5.3 million is owed to Mark Penn.

And that's the problem.

by Charles Lemos 2008-12-30 03:17PM | 0 recs
Then she should

pay off the 1 mil. and forget Mark Penn.

by SocialDem 2008-12-30 03:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Then she should

I agree.  I know it is tough for those small businesses who gave goods and services and are waiting to be paid, but it pisses me off that Mark Penn is in line for $5 million.  What good did he do the Democratic Party, or Hillary this campaign?

With the economy in the shape that it is in, it is disgusting that he is still up for this much money.  And you wonder why people hate politicians.

Are campaigns allowed to accepted directed funds?  Can the donors say that the money they give needs to pay off any vendor put Penn?

by gavoter 2008-12-30 03:50PM | 0 recs
I have no idea

on your last question. But what I do know is Hillary can direct the funds to pay off those vendors and then just tell Penn oops!

by SocialDem 2008-12-31 10:24AM | 0 recs
Re: Help Hillary Clinton Retire Debt

That's one fo the problems I have with middle class folk feeling obligated to chip in. You got families. Take care of them first. No need to donate to retire the debt and get Penn paid an obsce4ne amount. My wish is for Bill Clinton to pay all the small vendors out of his pocket and have them waive their fees to Hillary's campaign. Meanwhile Penn won't be entitled to whatever personal donations Bill  pays.

by Pravin 2008-12-30 03:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Joe Biden To Help Hillary Clinton Retire Debt

Everytime I send her money, I get money back from her campaign saying I overpaid!!! I have my mother and partner make out checks for her to send in and I still keep getting money back....

I've given up trying to help her out.....I don't know how to pay her when they keep sending me refunds!!!

Will this thing ever go away?  If it's just to pay off Mark Penn, he doesn't deserve it anyway in my opinion, I say 'stiff him' after the shitty job he did for her....

by nikkid 2008-12-30 03:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Joe Biden To Help Hillary Clinton Retire Debt

Are you over the $2,300 limit?

by Bush Bites 2008-12-30 04:45PM | 0 recs

by nikkid 2008-12-30 04:49PM | 0 recs

Oh, well, there you go.

by Bush Bites 2008-12-30 04:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Joe Biden To Help Hillary Clinton Retire Debt

well, duh. big surprise your checks are sent back then seeing as it'd be illegal for them to accept them.

by Quinton 2008-12-30 04:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Joe Biden To Help Hillary Clinton Retire Debt

Something that I've never been clear on is the legality of Mark Penn waiving the debt.  Of course, in a perfect world he ought to do it, or Hillary ought to force him to do it for providing such sucky advice.  (Although some of the amount is undoubtedly for polling and other vendor services, as opposed to strategic advice, that surely ought to be paid for.)

I mean, if you can provide millions of dollars in services to a political campaign, and then agree afterwards not to get paid for it, you've effectively donated millions of dollars to that campaign.  It seems like you would be in a tricky legal situation if the campaign did anything but pay fair market value for those services, but I'm not the campaign financing expert.

by Steve M 2008-12-30 03:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Joe Biden To Help Hillary Clinton Retire Debt

She was paying for HIS polling to confirm HIS strategy.

Can you imagine?

by Bush Bites 2008-12-30 04:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Joe Biden To Help Hillary Clinton Retire Debt

This has nothing personal I have against the Clintons on this issue. But when the Clintons have amassed close to 100M in assets, a big chunk coming by virtue of being in public service(like all those speaker fees and other opportunities that come by), why the hell can't the Clintons retire their own campaign debt? People are suffering in a recession. How much money do the Clintons need to save?

by Pravin 2008-12-30 03:42PM | 0 recs
What s/he said.

The Clintons deserve all the pity allotted to Steve Forbes and Mitt Romney.  They're worth over $100 million, and spent some of it on a vanity campaign.  Let them suck up the loss.

by username 2008-12-31 12:07AM | 0 recs
Re: What he said.

The Clintons should consider them fortunate that they did not get taken by a Madoff like figure that has cost people like Spielberg bigger losses.

by Pravin 2008-12-31 03:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Joe Biden To Help Hillary Clinton Retire Debt

Totally just lost all respect for Bon Jovi -- paying off the debt to Penn from after Clinton lost but wouldn't get out is disgusting.

by Bob Brigham 2008-12-30 10:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Joe Biden To Help Hillary Clinton Retire Debt

If she had quit two weeks earlier (or a month, when every sensible person knew she didn't have a chance) all her vendor debt would be paid by now.

Penn shouldn't get a penny.

by lojasmo 2008-12-31 01:51AM | 0 recs
Re: Joe Biden To Help Hillary Clinton Retire Debt

Mrs. Clinton chose to remain in the race as her money ran out and her campaign went into debt.  99 out of every 100 campaigns would have packed it in, hers chose not to.

She should be the one responsible for paying down her debt.

by Khun David 2008-12-31 03:37AM | 0 recs
Re: Joe Biden To Help Hillary Clinton Retire Debt

But Alegre said she still had a chance!  How were we supposed to know better? ;-)

by username 2008-12-31 06:31AM | 0 recs
Re: Joe Biden To Help Hillary Clinton Retire Debt

haha. anyone with a clue knew it was over after super tuesday.

by Quinton 2008-12-31 11:10AM | 0 recs