Nadler Interested In NY Senate Seat

This is interesting:

AMY GOODMAN: Speaking of districts, are you interested in the Senate seat?

REP. JERROLD NADLER: Certainly.

AMY GOODMAN: And what is the politics that goes on behind this?

REP. JERROLD NADLER: Well, that's very hard to know. This is an appointment. It's entirely internal to Governor Paterson's head. So one doesn't really know what the politics is. Obviously, the people supporting Senator--I'm sorry, the people supporting Caroline Kennedy think that a public campaign would be helpful. Other candidates have not been doing it. I have not been doing a public campaign. And no one really knows.

AMY GOODMAN: Have you talked to Governor Paterson privately?

REP. JERROLD NADLER: Yes.

AMY GOODMAN: And do you think Caroline Kennedy is qualified to be senator?

REP. JERROLD NADLER: Well, that's up to Governor Paterson to decide, and I'm not going to comment on that. All I'll say is that I think that's the wrong question, and the press has been asking the wrong question. The question should not be is Caroline Kennedy or any other individual, for that matter, qualified, because the assumption there is if you meet the certain minimum qualification, you're entitled to the seat. The question ought to be the same question anyone hiring someone for any responsible job would ask, and that is, is this person the most qualified of all the available candidates? That's the relevant question.

AMY GOODMAN: And why do you think you're the most qualified?

REP. JERROLD NADLER: Well, I think all the candidates think they're the most qualified. I think my record in Congress is a very progressive and forward-looking record. I think I've shown very good judgment. I was one of the few downstate people who voted against the war, against the PATRIOT Act. I've taken a leadership role on civil liberties, on economic development. And I led the battle against the--I led the battle for eight years against the Bankruptcy, so-called, Reform Act of 2005, which we now recognize as probably responsible for maybe a third of the foreclosures that are going on in this country.

Pfft. Yeah, ok, so Nadler's built an admirable public record of 'opposing the war' and 'fighting the bankruptcy bill' and 'preserving our civil liberties.' And? What, he thinks this is some sort of coronation? How entitled!

Tags: Jerrold Nadler, NY-SEN, snark (all tags)

Comments

He is not named kennedy

And that is the only qualification that counts. Jokes apart, I hope he runs for senate if he is not selected by the governor. And dare I say, I hope he runs as an independent.

by ann0nymous 2008-12-23 12:27PM | 0 recs
Re: He is not named kennedy

You'd like watching him lose that badly?

by JDF 2008-12-23 12:32PM | 0 recs
No, I want him to ensure defeat of legacy cands

by ann0nymous 2008-12-23 02:06PM | 0 recs
and in doin that he would LOSE

Are you Ralph Nader?

Seriously? Why should being a "legacy candidate" automatically disqualify you from public office?

Caroline Kennedy clearly has the chops to do the job well, will be an excellent fundraiser for the party and, now that Hillary has accepted SoS, would be a great choice to continue her Uncle's legacy as a champion of progressive causes in the Senate.

by JDF 2008-12-23 04:51PM | 0 recs
Re: and in doin that he would LOSE

Caroline Kennedy clearly has the chops to do the job well.

Caroline Kennedy will be an excellent fundraiser for the party.

Caroline Kennedy would be a great choice to continue her Uncle's legacy as a champion of progressive causes in the Senate.

One argument has no record to back it up.
One argument is true for most other politicans as well
One argument is completely nonsensical and irrelevant, and creates the question why is it included?

by Ernst 2008-12-24 09:34AM | 0 recs
Re: Nadler Interested In NY Senate Seat

I'm not sure how any good progressive wouldn't be a fan of Jerry Nadler.

Then again, a good progressive can always come up with some objection!

by Steve M 2008-12-23 12:29PM | 0 recs

well said...

I personally have no problem with Nadler and I think he would make a good Senator. That being said I am still squarely in Kennedy's camp... if only because the people who aren't don't seem to have any actually good reasons for it.

by JDF 2008-12-23 12:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Nadler Interested In NY Senate Seat

My main reason for not is that there are better qualified candidates -- like Jerrold Nadler.

That being said, if CK is nominated, it won't be the worst thing in the world.  From what I know, I like her politics, and I expect she's be a good Senator.

by markjay 2008-12-23 12:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Nadler Interested In NY Senate Seat

There is a huge difference between liking other people for the job and simply being any CK.

It is clear from the general tone here that many view here as anathema to progressive causes simply because of her heritage. Which is absurd when you consider what that heritage is.

I am not saying she should be given the chance because she is a Kennedy, but the idea that being a Kennedy should somehow disqualify her is patently stupid in my mind.

by JDF 2008-12-23 04:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Nadler Interested In NY Senate Seat

No it's clear that people consider her heritage the only reason she's in the running, and they consider that nepotism.

It's not that she's a Kennedy that is the problem, it's the perception that her qualifications depends on it.

Anybody else with the same resume but with the name of Smith, would not be considered against Cuomo or Nadler.

by Ernst 2008-12-24 09:27AM | 0 recs
that IS interesting...

Hey, MyDD New Yorkers, how popular is Nadler state wide?

Though I was born in NY, I am about as far away as you can get, but I think a key question is, who can assure us of holding onto that seat in 2010?

Who could beat a high profile candidate like Rudy or Peter King statewide? Is Nadler too liberal to play upstate?

Senator Clinton proved her formidability by winning that upstate crowd.

Part of the reason the pro CK folks are floating his her potential fund raising ability and leverage in getting relected....

by WashStateBlue 2008-12-23 12:30PM | 0 recs

Is he qualified? Yes.
Is he disqualified? Nope!

"Rep. Nadler's support for Hillary Clinton's potential candidacy in 2008 is yet another sign of her building momentum," Said Draft Hillary Clinton for President Campaign Director Peter Feddo.

He does have the gonad problem, though.

by QTG 2008-12-23 12:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Nadler Interested In NY Senate Seat

Nadler is of course wrong as much as people on MyDD don't seem to want to face reality. The Governor gets to appoint whoever he wants and there is no requirement that he appoint the "best qualified" person.

I am surprised he would make such an innane point. He can say he wishes the Governor appoint the most qualified person but thats just simply not a requirement.

I mean when JFK appointed RFK AG was RKF the most qualified person?? Of course not. People around here don't seem to realize the difference between an APPOINTMENT and an ELECTION. In an election the voters get to decide who they want and even in that case they don't always vote for the MOST QUALIFIED person (see Bush v. Gore 2000).

Come on people wake up and quit with the facile and rather infantile logic.

by obama4presidente 2008-12-23 01:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Nadler Interested In NY Senate Seat

in one swoop you have made lowering standards for a position as A-okay.

" he wishes the Governor appoint the most qualified person but thats just simply not a requirement."

Lets know where you work and if you are in charge of hiring. We have several folks who would love to be interviewed by you.

by MumbaiBurns 2008-12-23 01:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Nadler Interested In NY Senate Seat

Don't be ridiculous. I am talking about what is not what should be. The original diary included a quote about the requirement that the appointed person be the most qualified. That is simply not true.

by obama4presidente 2008-12-23 01:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Nadler Interested In NY Senate Seat

You know debating ideas with you is pointless because you live in fantasy land. You don't want to actually talk about what IS only what you think SHOULD BE.

Unfortunately (or not.. I wonder sometimes) the world does not revolve around what MumbaiBurns thinks is correct.

You've made your point about Caroline. We get it! You are against her being appointed! You've made about 200 posts and a plethora of diaries (try to observe the 2 per day limit.. thanks) on this...

But the diary is incorrect when it quotes the Nadler saying the requirement is the most qualified candidate. That is simply not correct and rather than continuing to live in fantasyland you might as well come to grips with it...

by obama4presidente 2008-12-23 01:48PM | 0 recs
But he has to appoint some one who has the best

chance to win against Rudy, Peter King or any other Repug. If he thinks it is CK it is OK with me. I think he would play it safe not to piss off Obama or Teddy. It is ironic that Obama would have more influence on NY senate seat than the IL senate seat

by Joshuagen 2008-12-23 01:40PM | 0 recs

No he does not..

You know very well he does not have to appoint someone who stands the best chance to win against a republican..

He only has to appoint the person he feels is best for the job... Being the most qualified by the way is not necessarily proof that a person is best for the job...

There are man intangibles that go into making a Senator... Having the right resume is not really verymeaningful

OF course these are the same people who thought Obama was unqualified to be President and couldn't win..

OH when will they learn..when??????

by obama4presidente 2008-12-23 01:51PM | 0 recs
Re: But he has to appoint some one who has the bes

He should appoint a person he feels could take on all comers in 2 years and again 2 years after that.

For his own sake he should choose to make allies rather than rivals of Obama and the Kennedy family.

I know that many here don't like it but doing the politically smart thing for your party, and for yourself, are probably going to be pretty high on the Governor's to do list.

by JDF 2008-12-23 04:59PM | 0 recs

I agree.

by obama4presidente 2008-12-23 05:52PM | 0 recs
Re: But he has to appoint some one who has the bes

He should appoint somebody who is the best qualified to represent new york.

For his own sake he should choose to make allies rather than rivals of the current politicans in his state, who matter a whole lot more for the governor and his state then Obama and the Kennedy family.

I know you don't like it but doing the politically smart thing for your party, and for yourself, is not automatically appointing Caroline Kennedy.

by Ernst 2008-12-24 09:46AM | 0 recs
Re: But he has to appoint some one who has the bes

Absolutely not of course. Again, seems to me someone just doesn't understand the way it works : he should pick the person he thinks will make the best Senator for New York. Whether they have tons of experience or not does not matter one bit.

by obama4presidente 2008-12-24 10:54AM | 0 recs
Re: But he has to appoint some one who has the bes

Of course, if I had any trust in your perception or reasoning abilities I would take great stock in what things "seem" to be in your eyes.

He can pick the person he thinks will make the best Senator for New York. Whether they have tons of experience or not does not matter one bit.

Again, nobody is questioning his power to appoint; What he can do.

What he should do is something that is up for discussion.

by Ernst 2008-12-24 11:57AM | 0 recs
Re: But he has to appoint some one who has the bes

There is nothing illegal about him appointing Caroline Kennedy..
by obama4presidente 2008-12-27 01:25PM | 0 recs
Re: But he has to appoint some one who has the bes

And I find the assertion that somebody who never ever ran for any office as the best able to take on all comers in 2 years and again 2 years after that for a statewide office laughable especially when there is a candidate who has every advantage she has, plus actual experience running and winning statewide

by Ernst 2008-12-24 09:50AM | 0 recs
Re: But he has to appoint some one who has the bes

It's telling that you think that the argument that like Caligula, Patterson has the ability to appoint the person he wants without any regards to what other people think.

Incitatus would've been a fine consul, whose lack of the right resume is actually not very meaningful.

by Ernst 2008-12-24 10:09AM | 0 recs
Re: But he has to appoint some one who has the bes

Telling of what? The facts? Reality?

I agree. If you do not believe Patterson can appoint whoever he wants please explain why (and try not to resort to some useless reference to ancient history please).

by obama4presidente 2008-12-24 10:47AM | 0 recs
Re: But he has to appoint some one who has the bes

no, of the weakness of your preferred candidate.

Saying over and over again how Patterson can appoint anybody he likes, a strawman since nobody has disputed that, isn't the same as saying that he should appoint anybody he likes or that his choice would be any good.

Being left arguing that he would be in his rights to appoint a certain somebody, is infinitively weaker then being able to argue that he would be right to appoint a certain somebody.

It seems you are incapable to understand that distinction and that you have to resort to hostility instead of arguments is just unfortunate.

by Ernst 2008-12-24 11:46AM | 0 recs
Re: But he has to appoint some one who has the bes

Silly..to argue about whats "right" is silly...

I like to focus on reality...

by obama4presidente 2008-12-27 01:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Nadler Interested In NY Senate Seat

He specifically acknowledges that it is Paterson's decision, and says "the question OUGHT to be" which person is the most qualified.

Gov. Paterson, in a million years, would never claim to be appointing anyone other than the most qualified individual.  Whoever it ends up being, he's going to say they were the most qualified.  So your point is extremely academic.

by Steve M 2008-12-23 02:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Nadler Interested In NY Senate Seat

I think its Nadler's point that is academic. I mean how do you determine who is the most qualified? In the end its just a subjective decision....

Moreover, Nadler is wrong as the choice should not be who is most qualified (this is a strawman here much like it was during the primaries. I mean we knew Obama was not the most qualified- even those of us who supported him- but we thought he would make the best president) but who will make the better Senator for New York. This is a purely subjective choice to be made by Patterson. It is an appointment not an election.

by obama4presidente 2008-12-24 10:51AM | 0 recs
Re: Nadler Interested In NY Senate Seat

I think we are using words differently or something.  I'm pretty sure most people who voted for Obama believed he was the best qualified for the job.  Not everyone agrees that the most important qualities to be President include number of years in Washington, etc.

by Steve M 2008-12-24 10:55AM | 0 recs
Re: Nadler Interested In NY Senate Seat

It's the difference between experience and qualified.

by Ernst 2008-12-24 11:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Nadler Interested In NY Senate Seat

I'll be honest. I didn't know about him until now. Wow. I like him a lot. That he gets history in a way that many people, including Obama do not, is definately a plus. That saying- those who forget history are doomed to repeated has never seem more true than in modern America. I am thankful someone understands it. He has my support

by bruh3 2008-12-23 02:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Nadler Interested In NY Senate Seat

I'd love Nadler in the Senate -- he'd probably be the most progressive senator, or in the top tier with Sanders and Feingold.

But I'm backing any of the three Lower East Side/East Village congresspeeps -- Carolyn Maloney, Nydia Valesquez or Jerrold Nadler.

by BlackMage 2008-12-23 04:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Nadler Interested In NY Senate Seat

This is so BORING.. come on Patterson just pick someone already.. I'm so sick and tired of arguing about this silly business.. When by far the most important story is the Obama/Blagocevich one here on the fantasyland MyDD community we spend our time arguing about this... Patterson is going to pick whoever he wants regadless of what we think end of story.

by obama4presidente 2008-12-24 10:52AM | 0 recs