PA-Sen: No Run For Matthews?

Arlen Specter is one of my top targets for 2010 and so while I'm skeptical of Chris Matthews's politics, I've been enthusiastic about his possible entrance into this Senate race only to the extent that he may represent the best opportunity to knock another moderate who's enabled the Bush agenda out of Congress. This idea that Matthews is the best chance to oust Specter is questionable, of course, based on early polls, which are likely more reflective of name recognition and Pennsylvania's ambivalence toward Specter than anything else but it's beginning to look as though we may never have the chance to find out.

Eric Kleefeld breaks it down:

NBC News chief Steve Capus said Matthews isn't running: "Well, look, if he were running for office, he wouldn't be on TV."

Meanwhile, MSNBC president Phil Griffin cast doubt on the idea, too. "I've talked to Chris. I think he's going to be here for a long time," Griffin said. "I want him to be here for a long time."

Could it be that Matthews has been floating the idea of a possible Senate run as a bargaining tool with NBC? This speculation is after all coinciding with contract talks but now that NBC has presented Matthews with an offer and given him through the holidays to consider it, they seem to be trying to shoot down the idea of a run before Matthews himself does.

With MSNBC ascendant, it would be surprising to see Matthews run for the seat, time to figure out who our best best against Specter would be...

Tags: Arlen Specter, Chris Matthews, PA-Sen (all tags)

Comments

Re: PA-Sen: No Run For Matthews?

Patrick Murphy for Senate!

by dannybauder 2008-12-22 09:34AM | 0 recs
based on his show

Chris Matthews would be a disaster for our party.

He is intolerant of others people's viewpoints that he thinks are illegitimate.

He seems unable to honestly debate the issues.

I like his show because when I agree with him, he's a good advocate and it's funny to watch how far he takes it.

When I disagree, I marvel at how closed minded he is.

Either way, it's good entertainment.

But I would want a senator to be truly openminded, and able to honestly defend their viewpoint.

by yellowdem1129 2008-12-22 09:53AM | 0 recs
After the way he bashed Gore in 2000?

Are you out of your mind? He is an assh0le!

Tweety was a huge admirer of Bush for at least 4 years.! Tweety Matthews has no integrity! When Bush laded on the aircraft carrier Tweety had a spark go up his a$$.

by Joshuagen 2008-12-22 10:37AM | 0 recs
f@#k Matthews!

by FLS 2008-12-22 10:06AM | 0 recs
I know he says no thanks

but would be great to see Ed Rendell run for the seat.

by activatedbybush 2008-12-22 10:12AM | 0 recs
Re: PA-Sen: No Run For Matthews?

As we go back into the Primary process we should all keep in mind that the goal is not to pick the candidate with the best chance of winning but rather to pick the riskiest candidate who can still compete.  A campaign can be strengthened, a candidate's beliefs and ideology can't.

by Endymion 2008-12-22 10:19AM | 0 recs
Re: PA-Sen: No Run For Matthews?

Honestly, if he decides to run I'm moving back in with my parents and filing to run against him.  And I mean AGAINST HIM.  I wouldn't have any platform other than "Chris Matthews cannot be allowed to become a United States Senator."  I would be a one-man negative-raising machine.

I'm only slightly kidding.

by dday 2008-12-22 11:07AM | 0 recs
Re: PA-Sen: No Run For Matthews?

I agree with you. I'd join your campaign.

Pennsylvania needs a competent Democratic senator and not some loud-mouthed idiot who doesn't know the first thing about civility, or open-mindedness, or good judgment, or how to really lead.

Matthews's problems with women and sexism are legion.

He's also got a treasure trove of materials on YouTube for oppo researchers.

I'll be out there campaigning against Tweety if he gives up his cushy job.

I wonder who his Republican politician brother who is (and I have this from people who've dealt with him) as sleazy and slimy a person as you'll ever meet, will be supporting?

by cuppajoe 2008-12-22 12:47PM | 0 recs
Re: PA-Sen: No Run For Matthews?

I would think of running and the fact that i am a woman may help.  :)

by selfevident 2008-12-23 12:22AM | 0 recs
Re: PA-Sen: No Run For Matthews?

Let's be honest:

Who actually wants Matthews to run as a Democrat, anyway?

by djtyg 2008-12-22 08:39PM | 0 recs
Matthews is a wind bag

Matthews is a blow hard who is using the idea of a Senate run as leverage in his contract negotiations with MSNBC. He knows he would never win a Senatorial run in Pennsylvania. Let's get real, tweety couldn't win in the primary either.

Allyson Schwartz would be the candidate of choice, if she's interested. Her position in Congress right now is very powerful, so who knows.

Joe Hoeffel has just formed his, "Friends of Joe Hoeffel" committee, read into that what you will.

by jfoster 2008-12-23 02:55AM | 0 recs