NY-Sen: Caroline's "Listening Tour" Not Going So Well

I seem to recall Hillary's listening tour back in 2000 going a lot more smoothly than this.

In her first visit to Buffalo and upstate since trying to clear the field by clearing her throat on a phone call to the governor, Kennedy went on a “listening tour” by listening first to political insiders in private meetings.

You can’t get any more “seasoned” than that.

No average Western New Yorkers expressing kitchen table concerns. Not much of a give-and-take with pesky reporters asking questions that working stiffs might want answers to. Instead, it’s mostly private sit-downs with political pooh-bahs, just like a veteran insider.

It’s that kind of seasoning that has cooked our goose as a region. [...]

If she really wants to know upstate, she could adapt the model of the senator she wants to work with and the one she wants to replace. Both Chuck Schumer and Clinton made a point of visiting every county in the state. Kennedy could make a point of visiting every one of the 939 cities, counties, towns, villages, school districts and other assorted taxing entities in Erie County.

The Buffalo News is not alone in the resistance they're expressing to the idea of a legacy appointment. Hillary made a credible case that she deserved her seat on her own merits, not to mention the fact that at least people had a sense of what Hillary Clinton had done. Caroline doesn't really have the opportunity to do that since this is an appointment but I guess it's admirable that she's trying, although, not well.

But is it all for naught? Has Patterson made up his mind to appoint someone else entirely? Charlie Rangel seems to think so, and apparently it's a dude.

AFAEL PI ROMAN: Lastly, I know you talked to Governor Patterson about the replacement for Senator Clinton, I was wondering if you have any favorites among the candidates that are being discussed?

CONGESSMAN RANGEL: Well the governor has already made up his mind and he shared it with me, and I support that he's going to select the best possible candidate that he can.

RAFAEL PI ROMAN: When are we going to find that out?

CONGESSMAN RANGEL: When he selects him.

Update [2008-12-18 18:19:41 by Todd Beeton]:On second thought, she did get the coveted Sharpton endorsement:

After speaking to Kennedy, Sharpton released a statement saying he disagreed with those who say she isn't qualified to be U.S. senator.

He said he had invited her to dine wtih him at Sylvia's this week, reminding her that he took Obama there during his campaign "so it's a good luck stop since he did all right."

Yep, there she is listening to the every day average folks...

Tags: Caroline Kennedy, Hillary Clinton, NY-SEN (all tags)

Comments

Sorry, but not Kennedy

I've made up my mind and I don't want Kennedy as my Senator. I know liberal Democrats are enthusiastic about her, but I'm not. Sorry. I hope Paterson is strong enough to deny a Kennedy. If she wants she can run in 2010 or 2012. I'm sure she will pose a challenge.

by RJEvans 2008-12-18 01:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Sorry, but not Kennedy

I agree.  I think she could make a fine Senator, but I tend to think the New York bench is actually rather deep right now.

If it's a he, my guess is Cuomo, who I am fine with.

Btw, Todd, did Sharpton endorse Caroline?  I thought he simply said he thought she was qualified.  I don't think he endorsed her.

by toonsterwu 2008-12-18 03:32PM | 0 recs
just like ol Teddy

in 1979, when he was asked why he was running for President, he barely had an answer. Caroline is indeed following in the family footsteps.

by Lakrosse 2008-12-18 01:28PM | 0 recs
Re: NY-Sen: Caroline's "Listening Tour"

Hillary also still had to win the general election.   If you remember, she was not a shoe in until Rudy dropped out of the race.   And even then, it was only the ham-handed antics of Lazio that really led to her blow-out.

I would have no issues with Caroline actually running for Senate, but I do not think it is a good idea to appoint someone with so little electoral experience to this position.

It might be good to give this to one of the women congressman of New York such as Carolyn McCarthy who has proven she can win Republican votes.

by gavoter 2008-12-18 01:28PM | 0 recs
My sentiments exactly

by orestes 2008-12-18 02:48PM | 0 recs
haha Rudy?

Rudy would have been trounced

by sepulvedaj3 2008-12-19 05:27AM | 0 recs
Re: NY-Sen: Caroline

I recall that according to a Marist Poll back in November before Caroline expressed interest, NY'ers favored their Attorney General, Andrew Cuomo, to replace Hillary, so I'd guess he is probably who Rangle is referring to, assuming Rangle really does know and didn't make an inarticulate "him" error.

by phoenixdreamz 2008-12-18 01:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Stop Making Post Titles Too Long to Re!!!!

Right now her constituents are David Patterson and anyone he listens to and that's it. That's just the facts and it's understandable.

After an appointment that could change. I'm not opposed to the idea but I don't support it either. I figure the voters will kick her out in 2010 if they don't like her.

Also Charlie Rangel should be kicked out of Congress, that corrupt bastard.

by MNPundit 2008-12-18 01:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Stop Making Post Titles Too Long to Re!!!!

I'm not a fan of Rangle's either, and bet Paterson isn't too happy about his comment after a spokesman for the governor emphasized there "is no frontrunner" just a couple days ago.

by phoenixdreamz 2008-12-18 02:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Stop Making Post Titles Too Long to Re!!!!

what do you know about rangel in phoenix???

by bluedavid 2008-12-18 04:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Stop Making Post Titles Too Long to Re!!!!

I was born and raised in NY, and now live in Florida. My username has nothing to do with Arizona.

by phoenixdreamz 2008-12-19 02:43AM | 0 recs
Woah-- HANDS OFF!!

I live in Charlie Rangel's district, and while he's clearly not perfect, I think he's been an exceptional representative.  The ethics issues are certainly troubling, but the jury's still out for the most part on whether he actually did anything underhanded.

Furthermore, the NYTimes has decided that they're going to get rid of Charlie, and when the times makes a decision like that, they're not going to back down.  there are a lot of minor league corruption stories that the times could be running about politicians (including lots from the nyc area), but they're determined to take Rangle out.  do you think it's a coincidence that they've broken every single one of the ethics stories about him?

Charlie Rangel is a great man, and while i will be the first to say he needs to step down if it is proved that he has broken the law or egregiously abused his power, I think he deserves a lot of respect and a little benefit of the doubt for the many good things he has done for my district and for the country at large.

by bluedavid 2008-12-18 04:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Woah-- HANDS OFF!!

While I put a Rangel bashing diary regarding his website controversy, I do think that he is not in the bad bottom half of the senate. Too many senators have conflicts of interest where family members get perks either via campaign funds or straight out government nepotism.

Hell Mr poverty John Edwards is going to figure out a new solution to get his ex mistress and "possible mother" of his baby by finding a new buddy to act as her benefactor. Very few are clean in this business.

by Pravin 2008-12-19 06:34AM | 0 recs
I've got a bad feeling about this one

Coming from Maryland, I'm getting a whiff of Kathleen Kennedy Townsend nostalgia with this current Caroline Kennedy run. Kathleen wasn't that great of a campaigner and alienated an important voting bloc in Maryland with her Lt Gov choice. It's one thing to get an appointment. It's an entirely different thing to actually run a campaign and win.

The GOP put up a formidable candidate with blue collar roots in Bob Ehrlich in 2002. I would suspect that they plan to do the same with a Peter King type in 2010 to build contrast with the aristocratic Kennedy.

I shudder when I read her online supporters say that she'll automatically win in 2010. After all, New York is a blue state and getting bluer each election. I'm sure that's what many said about Kathleen Kennedy Townend before her gubernatorial loss in the very blue state of Maryland. Who would have thought that a Kennedy would have lost a campaign in the very blue state of Maryland? Who indeed!!

Just a note of caution to all of you Kennedy supporters out there, it's not automatic for the Kennedy name to win elections even in blue states....

by ademption 2008-12-18 01:46PM | 0 recs
Re: I've got a bad feeling about this one

I'm starting to feel the same way, but for a somewhat different reason. With the Gov. Blago scandal swirling around Obama's senate seat, I don't think it's a good time to be appointing someone on any basis except best qualified to hit the ground running.

by phoenixdreamz 2008-12-18 02:25PM | 0 recs
Hit the ground Running?

I'd say CK has hit the ground "running" - she plans to run in 2010 regardless of whether she is appointed - which is her right. And anyone Paterson appoints will have to run against her in the primaries.

Asked whether she would run for the office if Gov. David Paterson doesn't appoint her, she replied: "Absolutely." Huffington Post

As I have said on other threads - CK is deadly serious about being Senator - She probably realizes better than anyone that she will need time to get the polish of a Hillary or even Cuomo (though he's a dullard) - In two years  - I'll wager she'll be much more impressive in public.

The only question is whether Paterson will find someone willing to be appointed now, who he thinks can beat her in 2010 and who be a better Senator than she could be to boot.

by CB Todd 2008-12-18 03:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Hit the ground Running?

Considering it would be a horrible political blunder to say "no, I only want the job if I don't have to work for it," I place no stock in the claim that she will run against a Democrat in the 2010 primary.  Maybe she will, but her statement is meaningless to me.

by Steve M 2008-12-18 04:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Doubt it

It might be meaningless to you - but I doubt that she would start this just to fade away after taking a long time to decide when the right moment was to change her entire life.

I doubt that such a statement  or her actions in general are taken as meaningless by Paterson or the other potential candidates.  AND I'M SURE SHE HAS MADE HER INTENTIONS TO RUN IN 2010 CLEAR IN PRIVATE AS WELL TO THEM AS WELL.

by CB Todd 2008-12-19 01:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Doubt it

Look, you just showed up out of the blue three days ago making very odd, very aggressive posts in support of Caroline Kennedy.  I have no idea what your game is, but I don't know why anyone would pay attention to what you have to say.  It's obvious you have some kind of agenda at this site.

by Steve M 2008-12-19 04:55AM | 0 recs
Re: Doubt it

EVERYBODY has some kind of agenda at this site.

by Bush Bites 2008-12-19 06:37AM | 0 recs
Re: NOT QUALIFIED TO POST ON A BLOG?

I guess I'm not qualified to post on a blog because I haven't paid my dues or some such nonsense.  My game is to get people to possibly see what is going on here and not merely live in an echo chamber.

by CB Todd 2008-12-19 07:34AM | 0 recs
Re: NOT QUALIFIED TO POST ON A BLOG?

And yet you only seem to post on the issue of Caroline Kennedy - where there was plenty of debate and disagreement long before you suddenly showed up - and your posts are uniformly nasty and aggressive.  Yeah, you're just a regular guy who decided one day for no particular reason that MyDD had to hear the truth about Caroline Kennedy, I'm buying that.

by Steve M 2008-12-19 09:21AM | 0 recs
Gee Steve

I guess you missed all my posts about Hillary during the primaries and all my posts about Palin.  I tend to post when I see people going off the deep end about people. And yes I'm aggressive about it.

by CB Todd 2008-12-19 03:04PM | 0 recs
Gaffe-tastic Caroline

Awesome, political royalty goes on a clumsy 'listening tour' to those far-flung 'upstate regions' while running from reporters asking legitmate questions.  Apparently she only feels like listening to her base, that is, elected officials that defer to the Kennedy name instead of running for the job themselves.

by T Law 2008-12-18 02:32PM | 0 recs
The Kennedy name is not so golden anymore...

I remember very well when Romney ran against Ted and could have won if not for the workers of a company Romney had taken over, fired them all but told them they could have their jobs back at a lower salary without benefits. The campaign ads with all of them making their plea not to vote for Romney were extremely effective and the major reason why he lost.

The glow has come off the Kennedy aura what with all the scandals. I don't think she's a shoo in... This election has proven that the country is fed up of candidates who feel a sense of entitlement simply because of who they are!

by suzieg 2008-12-18 07:29PM | 0 recs
Re: The Kennedy name is not so golden anymore...

Oh man. That's great.

I hope the Democrats remember this if Romney gets the nomination in 2012.

After Romney touted his business credentials and his record at creating jobs within his company, Kennedy ran campaign ads showing an Indiana company bought out by Romney's firm, Bain Capital, and interviews with its union workers who had been fired and criticized Romney for the loss of their jobs, one saying, "I don't think Romney is creating jobs because he took every one of them away."[30] Romney claimed that 10,000 jobs were created because of his work at Bain, but private detectives hired by Kennedy found a factory bought by Bain Capital that had suffered a 350-worker strike after Bain had cut worker pay and benefits.[31]

by Bush Bites 2008-12-19 06:42AM | 0 recs
Kennedy will either

be a real star or a real dud.  There is potential on both sides of the coin.  I just hope for everyone's sake that she's a star.

by ClintoniteNoLonger4McCain 2008-12-18 03:38PM | 0 recs
Re: This is a done deal

word on the street is actually that hillary is cool to the idea...

by bluedavid 2008-12-18 04:26PM | 0 recs
Caroline

My money is on Caroline to get the appointment, win the 2010 election and she will try to be the first woman Prez, not saying she will WIN, but I would not be at all surprised if that is her real goal.

by nikkid 2008-12-18 06:07PM | 0 recs
Sour Grapes

I figured much of the mydd crowd would be against CK.  It's too bad really.  I don't think Todd and many of the posters are giving her a fair shake or have solid reasoning behind their prejudice.  It sounds like you are still holding a grudge.

I think CK could become a great Senator one day.  She's a little raw right now, but from what I know of her positions, she sounds like a strong progressive and has unlimited potential.

If Todd or anyone else wants to talk me out of the CK pick, tell me about how she would work contrary to the the liberal agenda I favor.  Or tell me how Cuomo would be better.  Just stay away from the petty nitpicking expressed in this article.  And by the way, those opposed to CK based on the "dynasty" argument, you do remember that Andrew Cuomo's father Mario was the gov. of NY, right?

by Dirk Diggler 2008-12-19 06:36AM | 0 recs