AP: Rep. Hilda Solis Obama's Pick For Labor Secretary

The AP is reporting that Rep. Hilda Solis, one of California's most progressive house members and great friend to labor and the grassroots, will be President-elect Obama's choice for Labor Secretary.

A labor official says Rep. Hilda Solis of California will be nominated as labor secretary by President-elect Barack Obama.

The Democratic congresswoman was just elected to her fifth term representing heavily Hispanic portions of eastern Los Angeles County and east L.A. She is the daughter of Mexican and Nicaraguan immigrants and has been the only member of Congress of Central American descent.

I agree with Juls at calitics. While this is a big loss for California, this is the nation's gain, as she will be a phenomenal champion for labor in President Obama's cabinet. Just to give you a taste of Solis's record -- and hence Barack Obama's commitment to labor by picking her -- according to Project Vote Smart, in 2007 Solis had 100% voting records with the interests of the AFL-CIO, SEIU, United Auto Workers and the American Federation of State, County & Municipal Employees, to name just a few.

This is an interesting coda to Dave Dayen's post about California's rising influence nationally even as it flounders at home. He even had cited Solis as the "only woman who could fix California" as Governor. Clearly President-elect Obama had similar ideas about what Solis can do to the decimated US Labor department.

Update [2008-12-18 14:13:21 by Todd Beeton]:Watch Hilda Solis's passionate floor speech in support of The Employee Free Choice Act when it was up for a vote in 2007 (it passed easily in the House.) With Solis at Labor, this is a strong sign that Obama is serious about EFCA.

I rise in strong support as a family member from a strong union backgroud. My father was a shop steward for the Teamsters and my mother was a proud worker for the United Rubber Workers who worked tirelessly for 20 and 25 years. Without the help protection we received in retirement benefits I know myself and my seven siblings would not be where we are today.

Tags: Barack Obama, hilda solis, labor secretary (all tags)

Comments

Re: AP: Rep. Hilda Solis Obama's Pick For Labor Se

Si se puede!

Great to get some good news!

by dannybauder 2008-12-18 09:02AM | 0 recs
Secretary

But I thought Obama was a moderate sellout who wasn't going to have any liberals in his cabinet...

by Vox Populi 2008-12-18 09:05AM | 0 recs
More rope-a-dope?

by SocialDem 2008-12-18 10:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Typical of Obama

This doesn't mean she won't be one of those things. If anything it could raise her cache in that regard over the next few years before she resigns to run for one of those offices.

by JDF 2008-12-18 12:22PM | 0 recs
Fascinating!

If she'd been an early pick, the GOP's collective heads would be spinning on their necks. God, it would be like "SEE WE TOLD YOU!!!1one".

At this point, of course, the Right has gotten comfortable with the "Obama versus the Left" meme. Will they be able to pivot and fight this? Won't that make them look weak after they spend three weeks complimenting him?

Obama's really boned the Right on this, EFCA is huge for them.

by Neef 2008-12-18 09:58AM | 0 recs
This is the red(blue?) meat I have

been waiting for personally.

by SocialDem 2008-12-18 10:41AM | 0 recs
I assume she would not have agreed

to take this job without assurances that they would push hard for EFCA. Let's hope they truly are serious about that.

by desmoinesdem 2008-12-18 10:46AM | 0 recs
Re: I assume she would not have agreed

That is going to be a super-tough fight.  The PR war really needs to get going on our side of the fence.  Lord knows the other team never rests.

by Steve M 2008-12-18 10:51AM | 0 recs
Re: I assume she would not have agreed

I'm still not onboard with that and I'm a former Teamster.  I kind of agree with Al Sharpton, who came out against it today because it doesn't allow a private vote in all cases, which I agree should be mandatory.

by Vox Populi 2008-12-18 07:05PM | 0 recs
Re: I assume she would not have agreed

The workers can vote to have a secret ballot election if they chose. This just ensures that workers have the ability to chose which way to decide whether to form a union or not. As the law stands now workers can only chose to form a union via signing a card if their employer agrees to let them do so. This puts the choice in the hands of the workers, not the employers.

by Quinton 2008-12-19 01:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Hilda Solis

....not a peep at Alegre's corner. I don't get it.

by QTG 2008-12-18 10:56AM | 0 recs
Hilda Solis

A great choice, a hidden gem.

by Charles Lemos 2008-12-18 06:13PM | 0 recs