Charles Lemos at MyDD

I want to welcome Charles Lemos to becoming a regular contributor here at MyDD. His site where he has blogged most regularly, By The Fault was one of the best reads of a Democratic partisan blogger during the election this past year (I first came across his writing around August). His background extends well beyond politics, which is something I can appreciate, and which adds to his insight into both American and international political blogging.

MyDD will have a lot of changes in 2009, including a new blogging platform that will integrate social activism for our efforts at political change (more on that next month). We have some of the best Democratic political bloggers on the net here, and Charles will make a great addition to the team.

Tags: Charles Lemos (all tags)

Comments

Re: Charles Lemos at MyDD

Fantastic, I've been following Lemos since I ran across a link to him at Anglachel's. Now I won't have to bounce around as much.

by souvarine 2008-12-01 01:34PM | 0 recs
Yeah...

He scared me at first when it seemed he was going PUMA. But later on, I was glad to see Lemos move away from No $0.25 & The Effluence of Lies. I've been a fan of Charles for some time now, so I'm glad to see him here at MyDD. :-)

by atdleft 2008-12-01 02:04PM | 0 recs
Awesome choice! 6 out of 5 stars!

A politically liberal historian with an MBA, bigtime Wall Street experience, and a first-hand view of world affairs, not to mention extensive street cred when it comes to energy politics!

How cool is that?

Well, at least I won't have to wander over to The Automatic Earth everyday just to get my fix. (I'll still check-in with Ilargi and Stoneleigh often, mind you...just not everday! LOL!)

I'm going to enjoy this...quite a bit...thanks Jerome!

by bobswern 2008-12-01 02:28PM | 0 recs
Sorry, but I can't resist ...

"Markos, eat your heart out!" LOL!

by bobswern 2008-12-01 02:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Sorry, but I can't resist ...

Considering that kos.dailykos.com is the only other blog I have had bookmarked beside Charles (the rest I get through memeorandum or other blog aggregate), he'll do fine-- they are actually both in the bay area too.

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-12-01 02:50PM | 0 recs
Yes, it appears Lemos and Moulitsas...

...have much in common...San Francisco...Democratic activism...some family from South America...grad degrees...with one small exception...their preferences for POTUS among Dem candidates this cycle.

by bobswern 2008-12-01 03:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Yes, it appears Lemos and Moulitsas...

Funny story that is. I actually started out as an ABC voter (Anybody But Clinton) but ended up a NBC one (Nobody But Clinton) though I largely supported John Edwards through January 2008. The poverty is a moral imperative really captured my attention. I also admired Dennis Kucinich but thought him unelectable. Hillary was off my radar screen until she found her voice in New Hampshire. That speech floored me. Obama I found largely to be an empty suit (though he is filling it out nicely and he has clearly grown during the campaign) and I didn't like his post-partisan approach (some fights are worth having) among other things (his vote for the Bush-Cheney Energy Policy and his clear inexperience on foreign affairs to name two). Still on Election Night I was pretty tickled pink. I did flirt with the PUMA movement for about two months but their spouting of right-wing talking points led to a complete break. My view of Obama is that he is a politician with flaws and attributes. During the primaries, I focused on his flaws. Now it's time to focus on his attributes I think and prod, push, cajole him leftward.

There is all this talk of FDR lately. My own take on FDR is that FDR was a pragmatist and an experimenter more than some committed liberal ideologue. He was willing to try any approach and see if they paid results. It just so happens that more "radical" programs was what paid dividends.
LBJ was the radical but he also governed in a time of plenty with an America still ascendant. We don't have the luxury of time on a whole host of issues.

If I have a favorite Democrat, it's Barbara Jordan. If I have a favorite Republican, it's Chester Arthur.

by Charles Lemos 2008-12-01 04:31PM | 0 recs
How funny...

I had the same experience. I started out as "Draft Gore", then flirted with Edwards, then flirted with Obama, then went back to "Draft Gore" before he finally said he didn't want to be drafted. So what did I do? I found Hillary, and I discovered she wasn't the "evil witch" some of the high-profile posters at that other big blog said she was.

It's funny how I had to go through the same experience when I knew Hillary wouldn't be the nominee & I eventually had to break away from my former friends gone PUMA. It was hard at first, but I gradually grew more comfortable with Obama when I realized how much he & Hillary share in common. That's what ultimately got me walking neighborhoods in Southern Nevada & making calls to Colorado for him!

But anyways, it's nice to have you here, Charles. I hope you help us hold our President's & our Congresscritters' feet to the fire when we need to! :-)

by atdleft 2008-12-01 06:56PM | 0 recs
And...

Lemos is such a hottie! Markos... Well, I'm glad he has a wife. hehe ;-)

by atdleft 2008-12-01 06:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Charles Lemos at MyDD

welcome, Charles!

by Todd Beeton 2008-12-01 02:47PM | 0 recs
He'll fit in well.

The problem that Obama has had from day one of his campaign is that he wanted to be all things to all people. It is the politics of political expediency, the easy road out, what is doable not what is needed. He believed himself our life line, a uniter. His campaign he said was about hope and change and never quite defining those platitudes. And the irony is that's a very tight rope to walk in politics. At some point, you have to stand for something and let the cards fall where they may. Instead of being that uniter, Obama became a divider. And unable to walk that tight rope of stand for everything politics any longer, Obama is free falling.

http://www.bythefault.com/2008/04/30/fre e-falling/#more-131

by Bush Bites 2008-12-01 04:14PM | 0 recs
Re: He'll fit in well.

I actually used to read Lemos b/c he links to a few Ethiopian news blogs, but stopped when he started exhibiting signs of ODS. Here's a beaut

<quote>How dangerous is Barack Obama? More dangerous than George W. Bush, in my view.  </quote>

by highgrade 2008-12-01 04:33PM | 0 recs
Re: He'll fit in well.
Plenty more where that came from...
  • "Ah, the arrogance and hubris of the messiah from Honolulu truly is a wonder to behold. "
  • "I have to wonder if Jeralyn knows what an asset she has, or better put, had in TalkLeft and that the value of that asset is not her just own posts until recently anyway and certainly not TChris's posts which resemble Obama campaign talking points and offer little if any analysis but rather the commentary and insight of Armando LLorens who blogs as Big Tent Democrat " (Armando is the good part of TalkLeft?!)
  • "While my antipathy towards Barack Obama could not be greater, that has not translated into empathy or support for Senator McCain but if McCain's speech today is any indication then I am growing increasingly comfortable with McCain."
And I only went back to August.  The batshit crazy only increases as you go back in time.
by username 2008-12-01 04:50PM | 0 recs
Re: He'll fit in well.

Yegads! A Dem who didn't drink Kool-Aid.  Where's the tar and feathers?  :)

by ChitownDenny 2008-12-01 05:03PM | 0 recs
Re: He'll fit in well.

Break it out, party season!

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-12-01 05:05PM | 0 recs
Hillary Klinton killed Vince Foster!!11!

Kudos to me for not drinking the Kool-Aid!!

by JJE 2008-12-01 05:09PM | 0 recs
even better!

he was a star at noquarter! i wonder if he's still waiting for the "whitey" tape?

by highgrade 2008-12-01 05:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Charles Lemos at MyDD

Hey, it's your blog.

I'm glad he has fans.

A bit to tinfoil for me though.

by spacemanspiff 2008-12-01 05:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Charles Lemos at MyDD

my gawd, can you people please pull yourself out of events that have past six months ago. For your child's childrens sake, we are about to move into a new year.

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-12-01 05:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Charles Lemos at MyDD

C'mon Jerome. You bring a new blogger on board, I do a quick google search and see what he has written in the past. I start forming an opinion about said blogger.

Dude was out there a couple of times.

I trust bob's opinion and he seems crazy about the idea so I'll give the guy a shot. Just have trouble with people who posted on NoQuarter and refered to a presidential candidate as the Honolulu Messiah or whatever childish bullshit the PUMA's came up with.

I trust your judgement. I'm a pretty big Beeton and Singer fan. Orton is great as well. Natasha is fantastic. You have a great eye for talent.

Looking at it on the bright side, maybe this means desmoinesdem will post less.

by spacemanspiff 2008-12-01 05:39PM | 0 recs
quick google search

you're probably lucky it was so quick. spend just a couple of more minutes and you'd may be shocked at what you find. it would not be a stretch to assume that he probably favored mccain going into the final days of the campaign. it's disgusting.

by highgrade 2008-12-01 07:45PM | 0 recs
Spiff, this place REALLY needed someone...

...with a well-grounded and highly credible background in history, economics, energy politics/strategy, and world affairs. We get all of this with Charles.

(Bob momentarily turns on the "self-deprecating humor switch": When I'm the one with the most diaries about our economy on a blog--any blog--that kind of tells you the place needs help, in and of itself!)

The next time I hear any so-called "leaders" of the Progressive blogging community reference something which occurred in 2005, or earlier, as being something akin to antebellum in origin (Markos is notorious for this), I think I'm going to scream! There's scant attention paid to accurate historical reference in most quotes from most bloggers...pretty much everywhere...these days. I saw this play out a LOT during the '08 primary discussions via grossly inaccurate references to the Kennedy-Carter primary in 1980, for instance...scads of folks around DKos making ridiculous comparisons between 1980 and what occurred this year...really pissed me off, too...just one "for instance..."

And, as far as being an asshole's concerned...as a close bud of mine used to say back in college..."At one time or another, we're all assholes." (Denny, don't even think about chiming in with: "Speak for yourself, Bob!' LOL!)

I'm glad I had no knowledge about Charles' association with No Quarter until just the past couple of hours! It allowed me to be a little more objective than what I'd consider "normal," even for me. (I think I checked out No Quarter for all of 10 minutes, once, as in forever...that's all I needed to know it wasn't for me.)

The net-net, IMHO, on Charles, is so positive (in terms of what he brings to the table), I think we're lucky to have him around...very lucky!

Compare his bio with those over at DKos...and absolutely NOBODY there holds a candle to Mr. Lemos, at the very least from a basic life experience standpoint.

Hey...nobody's perfect...we all make mistakes...people with otherwise impeccable credentials shouldn't be grossly discounted for allowing a place like No Quarter to publish their stuff for a couple of months...certainly not when the positives so tremendously outweigh--what I'd consider to be--nothing more than insignificant negatives...veritable bygones.

I heartily welcome--and look forward--to Charles' commentary! And, bigtime kudos to Jerome for taking the time and expending the resources to upgrade the joint! A fresh paint job, every now and then, does wonders, ya know!

Again, thanks Jerome!

by bobswern 2008-12-01 08:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Charles Lemos at MyDD

Welcome aboard, Charles!

by markjay 2008-12-01 07:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Charles Lemos at MyDD

Welcome, Charles!  Great to have you aboard!

by DizzyQueen 2008-12-01 07:39PM | 0 recs