GA-Sen: Jim Martin Plays The Barack Obama Card

With Merkley's victory and three Senate seats still outstanding, the prospect of a 60-seat super-majority is technically not dead yet, although everything would have to go our way for Begich, Franken and Martin to all pull out victories. What's somewhat frustrating is that for the most part there's not a lot we can do other than wait for the counting; that's not the case with the Georgia Senate run-off, however.

Jim Martin is in full on campaign mode for the Dec. 2nd run-off and has released this ad in which he tries to capitalize on Barack Obama's victory, casting himself as Obama's partner in change.

This is a smart ad as it captures the uplift that even detractors felt once Obama was declared the winner Tuesday night. But is it enough to turn out Barack supporters to vote for Jim just 30 days after the general and will this argument be MORE compelling than the inevitable argument Chambliss will make that voting for him is a check against Democratic single party rule? Which of those arguments will win the day and whose supporters will turn out?

Give to Jim Martin's campaign at our newly updated Road to 60 ActBlue page to make sure we do what we can to add one more seat to President-Elect Obama's majority.

Tags: Barack Obama, GA-Sen, Jim Martin (all tags)

Comments

Re: GA-Sen: Jim Martin Plays The Barack Obama Card

As a former Hillary supporter, it strikes me that it is impossible for me to imagine anyone running ads in Georgia saying "send me to Washington to help out Hillary Clinton."  I didn't think we'd get to that place with Obama, either, but it shows you what I know.

I sure hope Obama will find time in his busy schedule to make a personal appearance in Georgia, because a Senate seat is really, really important.  Lord knows the GOP can be expected to fly in Sarah Palin and every other popular Republican (except wait, I can't think of any).

by Steve M 2008-11-06 12:50PM | 0 recs
Re: GA-Sen: Jim Martin
I heard on Ed Schultz's show that Norm Coleman actually asked Al Franken to sign away his rights to a recount, to save the state money.
The last time I looked, they were about 600 votes apart, and he thinks Franken should just sign the waiver.
I want whatever that Coleman guy is smoking...
I plan to donate to Al and Jim Martin tomorrow, when I get paid, this is just too important to let go now.
by skohayes 2008-11-06 12:55PM | 0 recs
Re: GA-Sen: Jim Martin

Especially since the difference is now down to 336 votes.

Can't say I'm optimistic, but who the hell wouldn't want to make 100% sure?

by fsm 2008-11-06 01:11PM | 0 recs
Re: GA-Sen: Jim Martin
Well, Franken said today on Ed's show that there are 6000 ballots that were rejected by the readers for irregularities (have to fill out that oval properly so the scanner can read it) that still have to be counted after they are gone over. I guess that process could take up to two months (having a 5 member panel look over any disputed ballots).
I'm still hopeful.
by skohayes 2008-11-06 01:32PM | 0 recs
Re: GA-Sen: Jim Martin Plays The Barack Obama Card

If the Dems fall short by one, and Sarah Palin becomes the Senator from Alaska, President Obama should offer Arlen Specter the job of the Secretary for Homeland Security, thus allowing Rendell to fill the slot with a Democrat and a 60 seat filibuster proof majority. Of course we also have the issue with Sore Looserman and this may not do it!

by Boilermaker 2008-11-06 01:13PM | 0 recs
how about...

offering the Secretary of Veterans Affairs (a cabinet level) position to McCain?  Then Napolitano can appoint herself to the Senate.

by mboehm 2008-11-06 01:21PM | 0 recs
GA-Sen: Jim Martin Plays The Barack Obama Card

Hey wait, Is this a VietNam service ad by Jim Martin a big mistake? In most places, we veterans are proud to have served but Georgia Republicowards HATE all Veterans who serve and regard them like they do everyone else as serfs. I expect any time now will probably start running the HATE Veterans ads against Martin too like they have other veterans. Remember that Saxbee is a draft dodger, draft card burning, protester while he was of draft age. Now that he is too old he is all for SENDING YOUR KIDS AND OTHER PEOPLE TO FIGHT IN WARS FOR THE OIL COMPANIES. Remember also when this big J*CKASS coward Saxby Coward Chambliss  and his draft dodging crew of Republicowards ran ads says that Sen Max Cleland was a coward because he didn't get KILLED in Vietnam--he only lost his legs and his arm. Oh, wait Al Gore was also a coward because in Vietnam he was a photographer--yeah that's right--Republicans hate veterans so much they don't know that a sniper at 500 yards away  can tell if Al was carrying a gun or a camera--they are such dispicable people. Let's go down there and get out the vote--then Saxby and his buddy Rove will have big trouble rigging a runoff election. Thanks to the Libertarians for forcing this into December--but of course all the Georgian Republicowards will still vote for Saxbee.

by hddun2008 2008-11-06 01:20PM | 0 recs
Other Georgia runoffs.

In addition to the Martin-Shameless runoff, I would like to encourage my fellow Georgians to remember that there will also be runoffs for the Public Service Commission and one of the Appeals Court positions.

by TheUnknown285 2008-11-06 01:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Other Georgia runoffs.

I posted that before I watched the video.

My response to the video: Hell, yeah.  Great ad.  Martin needs to be careful about negative ads.  I'm sure Georgians really don't want to see negative ads during the Thanksgiving holidays and into the Christmas season.

by TheUnknown285 2008-11-06 01:24PM | 0 recs
Re: GA-Sen: Jim Martin Plays The Barack Obama Card

My only negative feedback on the ad is that the date of the runoff election needs to be spoken as well as shown graphically.  Nuts and bolts.

by Steve M 2008-11-06 01:32PM | 0 recs