Elections Have Consequences

Remember this classic moment from 2007?

For me, the replacement of Sen. James Inhofe, a global warming denier, as the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works with Sen. Barbara Boxer after the 2006 election was a shining example of the sort of change that would come if we replaced Republicans with Democrats at every level of government. Well, we're about to see a lot more of that change as cronies, corporatists and incompetents get replaced with qualified and even progressive individuals to top government posts. Consider this possibility:

President-elect Barack Obama is looking at possibly appointing Robert F. Kennedy Jr. to head the Environmental Protection Agency, according to sources familiar with the process, though he is eying several other prominent environmentalists as well.

Kennedy founded and now chairs the Waterkeeper Alliance, which promotes water quality in the U.S. and abroad, while simultaneously serving as an attorney at the Natural Resources Defense Council and a professor at Pace University School of Law. He backed New York Sen. Hillary Clinton in this year's Democratic presidential primary, but his cousin Caroline co-chaired Obama's vice presidential search committee.

Elections have consequences, indeed.

Tags: Barack Obama, Barbara Boxer, EPA, Jr., Robert F. Kennedy (all tags)

Comments

RFK Jr at EPA would be awesome!

Wow.

I'd love to see that.

by grannyhelen 2008-11-06 08:49AM | 0 recs
Re: Elections Have Consequences

I'm not a big fan of RFK Jr. for this position. His heart is in the right place, but he's a little too credulous and would sort of be an easy target.

by Steve M 2008-11-06 08:49AM | 0 recs
Re: Elections Have Consequences

Too bad Al Gore is above this position.   Its a definate step down but from a purely best person for the job... He's it.

What about Tipper or one of the Gore Kids?

by yitbos96bb 2008-11-07 04:29AM | 0 recs
Re: Elections Have Consequences

I cried when Boxer called Inhoffe out and I cried again when I heard RFK Jr. might be EPA chairman. As a person who has Environmental issues as #1 priority, it's like night and day. Someone pinch me, I still think I'm dreaming.

by Trowaman 2008-11-06 08:50AM | 0 recs
How really really right

RFK Jr. Head of the EPA seems cosmically right.  This just does get better and better and better. I've never had so much to savour in my life.

by mady 2008-11-06 08:57AM | 0 recs
God no.

RFK Jr. is an idiot. He's pushed that vaccine-autism link. I thought we could finally have a science-based administration.

by oyo 2008-11-06 09:10AM | 0 recs
Re: God no.

What does that have to do with the EPA?   And there lots of people who held the vaccine-autism belief... There were studies finding the link... they were also later refuted.

by yitbos96bb 2008-11-07 04:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Elections Have Consequences
Can you believe those Okies reelected Inhoffe. My gosh, he is so bad--what is in the water in Oklahoma that causes such mass lemming migrations to the right in these elections.
Secondly, how about Alaska re-electing Teddy the Stealer Stevens convicted felon. My hope is that the Democrat controlled Senate would refuse to accept him as a convicted felon to the Senate.
I would like to see the Chief Justice Opus Dei Roberts and his Supreme Court get into that cat fight. Actually it would be fun if the ultra right Supreme Court did order  the Senate to accept Stevens (like they did with George Bush when they appointed him to the Presidency)--then the Senate since its now controlled by the Dems could retaliate by cutting off the money for the operation of the Supreme Courts building--then the smug Chief Justice Roberts along with Antone Scalia the other Nazi would have to use candles for lights and clean their own toilets.
Good news--the Dems picked up the Oregon Republican Senate seat--gives them 57 seats--maybe the Saxbe "Mr Draft Dodger who hates disabled Veterans" Chamblis runoff will get rid of him. Lets go to Georgia to get out the vote. I can't see how the local Republicans can fix a runoff election with all the national press looking on. Thank you Bob Barr for making it a runoff.
by hddun2008 2008-11-06 09:14AM | 0 recs
Re: Elections Have Consequences

RFK Jr. seems like a nice guy but he is also a loonie bird conspiracy nut. He is loonier than Nader.

If Obama appoints him it will be like a gift to the right wing.

If Obama does appoint RFK Jr., I will go ahead and predict a one term Presidency. And massive senate and house losses in 2010.

by dMarx 2008-11-06 09:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Elections Have Consequences

Wow, really??

We can't have one week before the doomsaying starts??

Please, just one week? Thank you. Good bye.

by JDF 2008-11-06 10:21AM | 0 recs
Re: Elections Have Consequences

Although the doomsaying is a bit over the top, the appointment of an anti-science nutcase like RFK would disappoint much of the scientific community and cause Obama to instantly lose much credibility.  RFK's belief in a vaccine-autism link (after the overwhelming evidence against such a link) is as bad as global warming denials.

by feynman 2008-11-06 11:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Elections Have Consequences

Not really...  THere were several studies that showed a causal relation.    They were later refuted sure, but there were many scientists that believed there was some truth to those studies... a minority sure...But comparing it to Global Warming denial where EVERY FREAKING SCIENTIST for the most part believes it is way too much.

Besides the vaccines, please list the other anti-science aspects of RFK jr.

by yitbos96bb 2008-11-07 04:39AM | 0 recs
Re: Elections Have Consequences

Right... because the head of the EPA makes or breaks a Presidency...

Speaking of someone LOONIER than Nader.... I give you dMarx...

by yitbos96bb 2008-11-07 04:35AM | 0 recs