Governor Palin, Meet Bus

Is the conservative movement going to throw Sarah Palin under the bus? Let her take the blame -- some of which she rightfully deserves -- for McCain's loss? Yesterday I would have said No. One of the few truisms of this election is that the conservative base loved them some Sarah Palin, so why would the very infrastructure that feeds that base the lies that nourish them and that depends on them for their own existence attempt to destroy her?

Well, watching the video below, it's hard to conclude anything other than that Fox News intends to do just that, perhaps to ensure that she does not emerge as the future of the conservative movement, what with her not knowing Africa was a continent and all...

Sort of makes you feel bad for her...almost.

Update [2008-11-5 23:2:11 by Todd Beeton]:And it seems McCain advisors are doing more under the bus throwing of their own, dishing some unflattering tidbits to Newsweek about Palin:

Palin's shopping spree at high-end department stores was more extensive than previously reported. While publicly supporting Palin, McCain's top advisers privately fumed at what they regarded as her outrageous profligacy. One senior aide said that Nicolle Wallace had told Palin to buy three suits for the convention and hire a stylist. But instead, the vice presidential nominee began buying for herself and her family—clothes and accessories from top stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus. According to two knowledgeable sources, a vast majority of the clothes were bought by a wealthy donor, who was shocked when he got the bill. Palin also used low-level staffers to buy some of the clothes on their credit cards. [...]

Palin launched her attack on Obama's association with William Ayers, the former Weather Underground bomber, before the campaign had finalized a plan to raise the issue. McCain's advisers were working on a strategy that they hoped to unveil the following week, but McCain had not signed off on it, and top adviser Mark Salter was resisting.

Tags: Fox News, Sarah Palin (all tags)

Comments

Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

The GOP civil war has begun
http://www.redstate.com/diaries/erick/20 08/nov/05/operation-leper/#comments

RedState is pleased to announce it is engaging in a special project: Operation Leper.

We're tracking down all the people from the McCain campaign now whispering smears against Governor Palin to Carl Cameron and others. Michelle Malkin has the details.

We intend to constantly remind the base about these people, monitor who they are working for, and, when 2012 rolls around, see which candidates hire them. Naturally then, you'll see us go to war against those candidates.

It is our expressed intention to make these few people political lepers.

you either love Palin or get out of the party!

ah the next 4 years are going to be awesome

by TruthMatters 2008-11-05 06:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

I just don't get these people.  They honestly think that Palin, whom they have only learned of in the past few months, is so awesome that they are willing to chuck the rest of the Republicans overbroad?  Why does she inspire such insane loyalty?

by rfahey22 2008-11-05 06:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

It's like they've got PUMAs of their own.  Remember how all the superdelegates who endorsed Obama were going to reap the whirlwind?

by Jess81 2008-11-05 06:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

C'mon, it was there the whole time. They like her because she is a hardcore Christian, she loves guns and she doesn't want to learn anything about the issues. To a group who really does believe that government should be eliminated, she's solid gold.

Honestly, though, i'm not particularly certain either. I guess they're so used to automatically bucking conventional wisdom that it becomes reflexive. They're like the stereotypical men who gets lost and refuses to ask for directions.

by vcalzone 2008-11-05 06:55PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

The thing is, there are countless Republicans just like her, including some (like Huckabee) that can actually survive a thirty-minute interview.  Why they would latch onto such a liability is beyond me, unless it really is just because of "teh starbursts."

by rfahey22 2008-11-05 07:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

Ah, of course that's it. I completely forgot about that aspect. Pshaw, and people call me sexist! Can I use the fact that I completely forgot about her appearance as proof that I ain't?

That said, you're still thinking that they consider her ignorance to be anything less than a virtue. They liked W because he was dumb. They want someone who isn't very bright because they think that makes them more insightful.

by vcalzone 2008-11-05 07:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

The Sarah Palins of the world are having so much fun in the limelight political stardom and their shinny new clothes that they are managable by the Cheneys of the party.  Thinking is so hard. The control (care and feeding) of political eye candy figureheads is much easier then the consequences of exposing real decision-makers of the party to the light of day. An added attraction.: opponents of their ideas are distracted by the absurdity of the speechafier and the situation.

by Palli 2008-11-06 06:58AM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

Hardcore christians do not allow their teenage daughters to sleep around and get pregnant out of wedlock. Liberal Mark Warner's daughters have been taught better!

by Boilermaker 2008-11-05 07:36PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

Good point. I suppose I should use Andrew Sullivan's word, "Christianists". Like Christians, but morally corrupt and endlessly hypocritical.

by vcalzone 2008-11-05 07:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

I like, "X-tians." It leaves out Christ so as not to associate His good name with the lying, hypocritical Pharisees who pretend to claim Him yet are nothing like Him.

Gandhi was right:
I like your Christ; I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ.

by Spiffarino 2008-11-05 09:04PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

It's a battle between conservative ideologues and conservative intellectuals.

It's Palin versus Romney; Kristol v. Will; Barnes v. David Brooks; Malkin v. Noonan.

by ProfessorReo 2008-11-05 08:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

And it all makes me so excited.  I think the Palin side is going to win because they have more passion (and vitriol, to be honest).  The problem for them is that they have no money.  I hope this destroys their party for generations.  And I hope A LOT of the Romneyite Republicans become libertarians.  To paraphrase The Big Lebowski:  Dude, at least it's an ethos.

by ProgressiveDL 2008-11-06 02:01AM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

Well, Palin's got a knack for scaming money from them...she could just stop using it for clothes.

But I do have to look at the big picture: the stupid dumbing down of the national discourse.  Take note of this comment from the redstate.com site:
            "He [Fox reporter Cameron] really cut into her hard, more than was necessary. He makes
            it sound like it's all Palin's fault. I feel like they're trying to turn her into a scapegoat for
             McCain's loss. It was McCain who picked her, Sarah did her best."
Apparently, it isn't her fault that she is uneducated & uninformed.  And this is the party that reformed education standards to leave no child behind!

by Palli 2008-11-06 06:34AM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

Only learned of in the past months?

Palin was the favorite of the right wing blogs for a long time. There were web sites dedicated to her getting the VP nomination.

She was unknown to a lot of people but a woman conservative governor with an 80%  approval rating did not go unnoticed by the right wing blogosphere.

They knew exactly who she was.  Those are the same people defending her now.

by dMarx 2008-11-06 06:48AM | 0 recs
I wholeheartedly endorse this strategy

Go Redstate!  Purge the wrongthinkers!

by JJE 2008-11-05 07:20PM | 0 recs
Michelle Malkin v. Rick Davis

Too fun.

by ProfessorReo 2008-11-05 08:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

All I can say is . . . WOW.

And I agree about the next 4 years gonna be awesome!  These fools thing that they need to be MORE conservative with Sarah Palin at the helm.  Keep this up and they may not even carry Utah.

by scytherius 2008-11-05 06:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

I actually believe everything the sources in the McCain camp are saying.  It's not like it makes them look good - they picked her after all - I just think that some of them want to run and tell people "you will not BELIEVE what just happened..."

Besides it rings true.  I know the type.  There's a reason that women voters were repelled by her.

by Jess81 2008-11-05 06:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

BINGO. They could not say ONE word before today. Now they don't have to worry about covering anything up to win the election, they can tell the truth.

Same way that Scott McClellan refused to come clean until after he'd quit.

by vcalzone 2008-11-05 06:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

Also, remember when McCain "suspended his campaign", tried to get the first debate postponed, and then said "oh, and can we cancel the VP debate too?" even though his VP was going to have nothing to do with the bailout?  And the fact that they wouldn't let her do interviews without McCain standing next to her, ready to talk over her whenever she'd start to ramble.

Either they knew back then that they were going to lose and so concocted an elaborate ruse that they could point to later as proof of the fact that she was dumb as rocks, or she's dumb as rocks.

by Jess81 2008-11-05 07:24PM | 0 recs
New headline

Coming up on Fox News...

Sarah Palin: Dumb as a bag of hammers or sharp as a bowling ball? We report, you decide!

by Spiffarino 2008-11-05 09:08PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

And she actually held her own fairly well in the debate. She certainly beat my very low expectations.

by carrieboberry 2008-11-05 11:28PM | 0 recs
This gets worse

or better depending on view point...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/200 8/11/05/soruces-mccain-aide-fired-for-tr ashing-staff/

One of the aides tells CNN that campaign manager Rick Davis fired Scheunemann after determining that he had been in direct contact with journalists spreading "disinformation" about campaign aides, including Nicolle Wallace and other officials.

"He was positioning himself with Palin at the expense of John McCain's campaign message," said one of the aides.

That is backstabbing to the nth degree.  And, really, scheunemann looked at Palin and thought, "She's the future, I'm going to ally myself with her?"

I almost feel sorry for McCain that he had to deal with these people.  Post says that Ayers might not have been his choice.

Of course, he tried to run with it after it was said and he did pick Palin in the first place.  Anybody who gets himself into that mess deserves whatever's coming to him

by ab03 2008-11-05 07:21PM | 0 recs
Re: This gets worse

I predict McCain will ultimately be our ally. Hell, he has a choice. Stand with a party that never trusted him and ultimately is moving on the path to complete betrayal... or once again be the incredibly popular Senator that proves he is indeed a maverick by crossing party lines. Tough call, eh?

by vcalzone 2008-11-05 07:30PM | 0 recs
Re: This gets worse

I wouldn't go that far, but I think it would be neat if he joined the Obama administration just to make it completely like the seventh season of The West Wing, instead of just kinda like it.

by Jess81 2008-11-05 07:33PM | 0 recs
Re: This gets worse

Oh, please.  McCain is a 72 year-old man who hasn't yet formulated a clear moral compass to guide his personal decisions.  He is not a leader for the Senate or will he be an able and active particpant in a  Obama administration.

Anyone who feels sympathy for McCain (and we all should in some degree) should wish him the quiet solitude and private counsel that can help to bring him to a long overdue self realization that he is a non-meritorious person in dire need of personal redemption. His silver-spoon flaws, erased by family connections and undisclosed through media courtesy, have damaged individuals over and over again throughout a conceited life of self-indulgence.

For every undeserving person with a boost up the ladder from heritage, family wealth or self-delusional ambition, there are others below whose intelligent problem-solving and greater sense of the common good is restricted to circles of smaller of influence on the larger society of as a whole.

With fewer John McCains and Sarah Palins and more Paul Wellstones in government, we would be closer to the America we are supposed to be.

And I speak as the daughter of a POW whose small circle of influence greatly benefited from his belief in a progressive America.

by Palli 2008-11-06 06:04AM | 0 recs
Re: This gets worse

I don't know. I don't feel any hate for McCain the way you do.

People have different political views. I don't find that as a reason to hate them.

Personally, I think people who hate their political opponents are the ones that need private counseling and solitude.

by dMarx 2008-11-06 06:52AM | 0 recs
Re: This gets worse

the sad thing is that republicans will blame john mccain for this, and not the ones that truly deserve it, those whacky palinites.

Granted he WAS at the head of the ticket, but there comes a point when running as a republican where economic conservatives and social conservatives just dont see eye to eye anymore.

McCain will be the fall guy (or at least the palinites will try to frame it that way). If moderate republicans still want a party, they're going to have a long way to go to ensure that the uber righties dont take over.

Let them have a war already. It will be good for dems. The cracks at the seems are already there. What can we do to have it burst.

by sepulvedaj3 2008-11-06 04:58AM | 0 recs
Re: This gets worse

Why?

The incumbent party has never won an election in a period of economic decline, or even perceived economic decline.

The poll numbers for McCain got quickly worse with the financial mess.  His showboat overreaction didn't help either.

But really it was the economy not ideology and this is true for every Presidential election.

by dMarx 2008-11-06 06:54AM | 0 recs
In defense of McCain

I can kind of think of what he was doing with the Palin pick.  He saw someone who took on her own party and ran against corruption.  He had a great narrative going with the mavericks thing.  She had a similar anti-pork ethos AND she was popular with the base.  What more could he want?

...And then it turned out that the anti-pork thing was largely false.  It was when they couldn't use the, "thanks but no thanks line," that things started to fall apart.  Without that, there was no narrative and with no narrative, ours could take over.  If the bridge to nowhere story were true, Palin might have a different reputation now, but it wasn't so... well... HA HA!

Moral of the story?  Vet your blerping VP pick!

by thezzyzx 2008-11-06 05:52AM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

How dare they say bad things about senator Palin... Oh, God, the thought of that makes me want to hurl...  Please, please... somehow let Begich win!  If not, then please grant Stevens his appeal and a  new trial and all that...  Honestly, I cant' stand the thought of that woman in the Senate!

by LordMike 2008-11-05 07:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

Any bets on wether the Repubs survive this in the next two years or that they officially split into two political parties?  I am thinking, right now, that splitting into two parties looks a LOT more like easy money...I say 70%.

I LOVE the thought that the "wealthy donor", who is a Minnesotan Repub by the way, was "shocked" at the bill.  That is a HUGE warning signal to the fiscal conservatives that the social conservatives are eyeing them up for some quick change and a free ride, kinda like what those same fiscal conservatives just did the the social conservatives.  I seriously think that they will eye those hard-right fanaticals, look at the Obama admin., and decide to become right-wing democrats or some such.

There is going to be hell to pay in dealing with Palin supporters (For the love of all that is Holy, they are damned close to ELECTING A CONVICTED FELON TO THE SENATE!) If you think Palin supporters hate liberals, wait till you see what they do to republican non-believers...Holy Mother Hanna.

I was WAY off on my election predictions, but this seems to be VERY clear:  The Republican party is going to go down like the Hindenberg (fairly apt description too) and I think many of us will be on the side-lines saying "Oh the humanity".  This will NOT be pretty, but to be honest, I have lived under their smug yoke nearly all my life.  I will give a helping hand to those who decide to play fair by civil rules, but for all others, I will sit back and enjoy the heat.  I have some hotdogs, lemonade, and the ingredients to make SMORES.  I may not have gotten as much blue in the Federal Govt. as I wanted, but the consolation prize is pretty damned nice.

Maybe from the ashes a decent counterbalance party will come out so we can actually debate respectfully, make well thought out decisions, get the work done that needs doing...and THEN go have that beer with the Pres.  (Now that we have one I want to sit and have a drink with and not throw at...)

by Hammer1001 2008-11-05 07:38PM | 0 recs

You mean:

"Oh the Sean Hannity!"

by Rooktoven 2008-11-06 07:31AM | 0 recs

Ya, will bet.

Chalk it up to my Political Science degree.

Remember the last time the Dems controlled all three branches of Government?

It lasted two years and then GOP took back the House and the Senate. Why because of a slow down in the economy.

Six years later Bush was elected and they held all three branches until 2006 - losing in 2006 mainly because of the Iraq war. Nobody cares about the Iraq war anymore.

In 2008 it was the economy. The debate transitioned from the war to the economy over the summer as fatalities in Iraq kept breaking record lows and the media stopped reporting on it.

After January 20th anything that goes wrong will be the Dem's fault, who control a congress more unpopular than Bush. Hard to believe it is even possible.

When Reagen took the White House in 1980, the economy was far worse than it is right now. Luckily, Volker's monetary policy managed to break the back of inflation by 1982 and by 1984 the economy was roaring - leading to a landslide Reagen victory over Mondale.

So the Dems will stay strong as long as the economy does. But when the business cycle hits - and it always does - the GOP will be there to lay blame and seize the mantel.

Deal with it folks. It is always the economy. Sorry to inject reality into the debate.

by dMarx 2008-11-06 10:04AM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

So, did your PS degree predict the US would elect a black man with a muslim sounding name after 9/11?  I am sure you have huge precidence for it...somewhere.

While I totally agree that "so goes the US economy, so goes the nation" that does not mean that the economy will not be back in the black by 2012...or that some of the major changes we NEED to make will not work and have positive effects on the electorate.

Really, how the hell did FDR keep winning re-election?  (I know, you said post-WWII...maybe we now need a post-Bush time frame for all the new changes that are coming.)

And Palin is a Idiot.  Not a moron, but a person who believes her own BS, loves to look in the mirror, AND just cannot help making assenine decisions.  I know a LOT of people like her and NOONE wants to give them any power at all.

by Hammer1001 2008-11-06 10:29AM | 0 recs
worse than we thought

Her not knowing the members of NAFTA doesn't surprise me as much as it should.  But if she does run for national public office in future, thinking that Africa is a country may prove a liability.

by semiquaver 2008-11-05 07:41PM | 0 recs
Re: worse than we thought

Of course, I don't believe it.  She is governor of Alaska and has considerable dealings with Canada. The main trade partner of Alaska is Canada. It is wishful thinking that she doesn't know who is in NAFTA - or even stupider - that she didn't know Africa was a continent. 3rd graders know that.

You are really buying into a stereotype if you believe that nonsense. It is the Democratic version of Obama being a Muslim and really born in Kenya.

Pure nutbaggery.

by dMarx 2008-11-06 10:08AM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

If FIXED NEWS - KNEW - (as they now admit they knew) that Mrs Palin was unqualified to be President, Vice President or Dog Catcher for that matter, and they did not tell the American people then why can they not be sued for everything they have? OR - at the very least, be stripped of their broadcasting lisence?

Furthermore, they not only did not let us know THEY KNEW she was incompetent BUT they actually engaged in a conspiracy to BUILD HER UP - all while having information that PROVED they were misleading the American people. This borders on TREASON! I mean it!

by 1Mylegacy 2008-11-05 08:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

Looks like you and Gov. Palin are in good company with regards to your understanding of the first amendment.

by semiquaver 2008-11-05 08:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

Tactically a big mistake on their part. Sarah Palin could become the next George W. Bush for them. Not that I want another one. But with some real grooming, they could really make something of her if they wanted. She has the charisma and star power.

She is certainly not ready even for the office that she holds. But they are making a big mistake and splitting their own party in the process.

FANTASTIC!!! Christmas comes early this year!

by carrieboberry 2008-11-05 11:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

I think a lot of people overestimate that "star power". Does she get high ratings on television? Yes. But that says nothing about her electability or whether people like her. If Paris Hilton were named vice-presidential nominee, she'd get big ratings too. Doesn't mean it would translate into votes. Palin was the new big thing at first, then she became a sideshow. That is what she will likely remain to all but those indiscriminate souls who only care about character at a completely superficial level.

by vcalzone 2008-11-06 02:22AM | 0 recs
I think there was a nominal level of intellgience

or at the very least, you could mold a malleable Bush into anything you wanted.

Molding a insular diva is much harder

by ab03 2008-11-06 04:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

not a  chance. Bush carried evangelicals (she will) as well as the fiscally conservative (which are more moderate socially and i think she will have a problem there). He also did well enough with indies to beat kerry and gore, and i think she doesnt get much, if any of those.

The hope, she actually becomes the nominee and loses worse than Dole did, and then she is gone forever.

by sepulvedaj3 2008-11-06 05:03AM | 0 recs

Palin 2012  I am all for it

it gaurantees a second term for Obama

Romney or huckabee worries me a little

so I hope they Put Palin up there

by wellinformed 2008-11-06 06:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Governor Palin, Meet Bus

Obama will only win if the economy is doing well in 2012 unless we are fighting a war that voters deem more important than the economy and they think Obama is better than the Republican candidate to win the war. The war scenario seems unlikely.

Think I'm wrong?

Find me one example since WWII that breaks the rule I just described.

by dMarx 2008-11-06 10:12AM | 0 recs