Election Hangover Open Thread

We here in California are experiencing some mixed emotions with the combination of Obama winning, Prop 8 passing and Charlie Brown locked in a 50-50 battle for the 4th district. Overall though, when I think of both the concept and the reality of a soon to be President Obama, I am ridiculously moved and proud of what we've all done in a few short years.

How are you feeling about the election? Which wins thrilled you the most and which losses broke your heart?

Discuss...

Tags: 2008 election, Open Thread (all tags)

Comments

Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

Obama winning Indiana and NC (pretty much) was the most exciting. oh and him getting 52.4% which is higher thsn any dem has won since LBJ. losing MO was disappointing but the margin was very close (6k).

by YourConcernsAreNoted 2008-11-05 08:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

The Franken defeat would be the stinger based on how excruciatingly close it was, and knowing so much about the two candidates.

But in terms of a senseless unforced error, I can't remember anything in recent cycles that would top Stevens over Begich. I've been reading plenty of accounts in Alaska media and it appears Democrats simply took the day off. Didn't Obama coordinate anything in Alaska?

Here's a section from the Anchorage Daily News:

http://www.adn.com/news/politics/story/5 80139.html

"Dittman disagreed, saying it wasn't that Palin brought in new voters, but that many Democratic voters stayed home.

Even considering the tens of thousands of ballots still to be counted, turnout is lower this year than in the last presidential election, he said. One theory is that young and first-time voters who Democrats were counting on didn't show up when it became clear Barack Obama was already headed to victory."

by Gary Kilbride 2008-11-05 08:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

Well, voters might also have thought that McCain-Palin would win the state by a large margin and so they didn't bother.

by rfahey22 2008-11-05 11:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

Obama was the obvious thrill...Prop 8 was devastating for me, especially because it was black voters that provided the margin for the initiative.  That just doesn't make sense to me.

Let me say this though...the election will only be a really great success if Norm Coleman goes down in the recount and Saxby Chambliss loses in the run-off.  No two Republicans deserve to lose more than them!

by gorebeatbush2 2008-11-05 08:47PM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

Is there any chance that voters were confused by Yes being an affirmative/positive word and No being a negative word?

We had reports of many voters in Virginia in 2006 being confused by the deliberately misleading wording of the Marshall/Neuman Hate amendment.  Many who support equality mistakenly voted Yes thinking they were protecting people's rights.

Grrrr

by snolan 2008-11-06 01:38AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread
Actually, it makes a lot of sense. As an African-American, I can tell you that many African-Americans still claim a Christian base which denouces homosexuality. I really don't want to get into the resulting flamefest, but I can tell you that the Evangelicals in SoCal threw McCain under the bus to get Black and Latino voters out  to vote for Prop 8. It wasn't a stretch for the Black and Brown vote to support this.
Additionally, Black gay advocates went into Black churches to drum up support against the proposition, and that's not going to fly %99 of the time.
by xodus1914 2008-11-06 04:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

US Senate: I am thrilled that a Democrat has taken over Jesse Helms' former Senate seat after 36 years. Mind you, Elizabeth Dole kept it very warm by not bothering to get out of it long enough to do any work for North Carolina. To be fair, she has lived at the Watergate Hotel for something like 33 years, so I guess she forgot what state she was supposed to represent.

Thankfully, Kay Hagan plans to be in it only as long as she must, spending the rest of her time being a responsive Senator for the people of my great state. Kay has lived here all her life, unlike Dole who skedaddled straight out of college and never looked back.

NC-11: Blue Dog DINO dipstick Heath Shuler won an overwhelming victory over the oily and thuddingly underwhelming Republican, Carl Mumpower. Carl was on the Asheville city council for several years and made a name for himself by bringing cops to every decent rock concert that came into town. This was to push his "Smoke A Joint, Go To Jail" campaign that he was sure would garner regional attention. This it did: It made "Mump" a local laughingstock. Bumper stickers began to appear all over Asheville that read, "DUMP MUMP." This might explain his poor showing at the polls and the whopping $9,000 in campaign funds he managed to squeeze out of a couple of old ladies.

Saying goodbye to Robin Hayes in NC-8 was joyous. Hayes is the typical, know-nothing, rich dork who purchased a seat in Congress after taking early retirement. Fortunately, Larry Kissell smoked him out long enough to expose the stench of Hayes' personality to the good folks of the Eighth district. It took two tries, but they finally ripped him loose. Great work, Larry.

And what can anybody say about Barack Obama? I still tear up when I watch video of the networks calling the election for him, followed by the ecstatic shouts of joy from around the world. It is by far the greatest election I have ever experienced and it was a pleasure to do my small part. I can hardly wait to start dialing hundreds of phone numbers again in 2012. In the meantime I'll be soaking my index finger in Epsom salts...ahhhh.

WAY TO GO DEMS!!

by Spiffarino 2008-11-05 08:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

I'm elated, but I hope Obama is as aware as I think he will be that the Republicans will claw, steal, and manipulate with every fiber of their being to get back in power, damned be the nation.

I also hope he is smart enough to have all the privately installed and maintained White House computers replaced with NSA secured computers and that the NSA people involved are highly vetted and in no way associated with any neoCons - especially Cheney.

I also hope that once Bush is out of office and can no longer pardon anyone, Obama greenlights the investigation and prosecution of anyone who committed serious crimes against the American people during the Bush administration.

by Reality Bites Back 2008-11-05 08:53PM | 0 recs

TX-22 - Lampson.

What can I say? He was my congressman and NASA is non without a strong advocate with seniority. I'm hoping for an appointment to some kind of job in the space/aeronautics community.

Harris county (Houston, TX) had some of the first Dems win countywide in years including all but 4 judges, County Clerk, County Attorney, and Adrian Garcia is the new Sheriff (RIGHTFULLY SO!)

Texas house is now 76R-74D and Dems are +1 in the State Senate. Not too shabby.

OH YEAH! Remember Richard Morrison? The Dem who challenged DeLay in 2004. He's now Fort Bend County Commissioner Richard Morrisson, and yes, it was red turf he won on.

by Trowaman 2008-11-05 09:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

Great news for the greater Houston area. I'm glad to hear that a few Democrats are making headway...my daughter and son-in-law live in Cypress.

by Spiffarino 2008-11-06 05:49AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

in CA we're devastated by the prop H8 vote.  we'll soon find out if obama is the real thing & does something to bring about equality for all...or if he caves, like most politicians, to prejudice and does nothing.

by latina 2008-11-05 09:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread-OH-02

Stuck with Jean Schmidt again, dang it.

Whenever ads are run that say "contact your Congressperson" - I think "I have no one to contact."

Was glad to see Steve Chabot go down in neighboring OH-01.  Chabot's robocalls kept coming to my phone, inviting me a "town meeting". I've never forgiven Chabot for his leadership in B. Clinton's impeachment.

Steve Dreihaus (D) will in effect be representing Cincinnati, so I guess I'll get the benefit of his work for the area.

Gasoline has been ca $1.98 in my area for over a week now.  Whoopee.

by susie 2008-11-05 09:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread-OH-02

Schmidt couldn't even win a majority...  Someone find Paul Hackett and get him back here!

by LordMike 2008-11-05 09:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread-OH-02

What the hell is with that woman? Does she stand over a black cauldron, stirring and whispering dark incantations or something? There's got to be some evil magic that keeps her winning in spite of her wretched personality and frightening appearance.

by Spiffarino 2008-11-06 05:51AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread-OH-02
She's really an airhead.  Don't think she could spin the words of an incantation together to do the job.
My biggest hope is that she'll get redistricted out of a job when Ohio loses a Congressional seat, no later that 2012.
by susie 2008-11-06 07:25AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

I'm still numb... I keep clicking on the various dem blog web sites... trying to find a new poll or something... the only thing I found was a new Zogby poll that said that McCain was closing the gap today.... ;-)

I don't know what to do with myself... I can't believe the day has come and we've been victorious!

by LordMike 2008-11-05 09:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

McCain has us right where he wants us.  His victory is immanent.  He is turning back Obama at the walls of Baghdad!

by mistersite 2008-11-06 05:57AM | 0 recs
i hear there is a job opening

as the head Iraqi Information Ministry

No one has been the head since Mohammed Saeed Al Sahaf

by Dickie Simpkins 2008-11-06 06:14AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

"No no no. The Secret Service has not disappeared. They are still here and hiding in the shadows.  Also there are no happy throngs of millions of hope-filled Americans North, West, East or South of the city. Ignore your televisions."

by Spiffarino 2008-11-06 07:46PM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

A coupla downballot issues for me:

In Minnesota, the voters decided to dedicated 3/8 % sales tax to the outdoors and arts.  This could mean literally hundreds of millions of dollars for "water quality, wildlife, and trails" in Minnesota.  Provided this doesn't just translate into 7,000 more miles of ATV trails, it could be a good thing.  Whatever happens, I think it's fascinating.

In Colorado, the state voted to keep tax breaks of $300 million per year in place for the oil and gas industries.  What the hell were people thinking?  They also voted to expand gambling.  I personally wouldn't care if gambling were outlawed completely.  I know it wouldn't stop gambling, but I hate to see these sad little towns completely funded on other people's vices.

by the mollusk 2008-11-05 09:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

The best: Aside from Obama winning, of course, I'll go with watching Marilyn Musgrave lose. Even in strong red territory, hate doesn't sell this year.

The worst: There's still some hope, but seeing Al Franken probably lose is disheartening.  He's been fighting back against the right wing s**t machine longer than the term "blog" has even existed, and Smilin' Norm is only a senator in the first place because the right got away with lying about Wellstone's funeral.  He deserved to lose, and Franken is the one who got the word out about what really happened at Wellstone's funeral in the first place. At least he has our respect.

Prop 8 is a close second for the worst, but that's a battle we are inevitably going to win in the long term.  The races in Alaska hurt too, but what did we expect from the state that gave us Failin' Palin?

by RamblinDave 2008-11-05 10:55PM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread-Franken

Would be a pity if Franken lost.
Maybe he could be speech writer or court jester  in the Obama administration.  Or an ambassador to Ireland or a country that appreciates a good joke.

With the coming economic mess, etc., Obama's guys (and gals) may need a touch of humor now and than.

by susie 2008-11-06 11:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

I was just thinking about how a month and a half ago, during McCain's Palin surge, how we were all writing postmortems about our inevitable loss...

Seems pretty incredible now, huh?

We won by 11 points in Pa... isn't that amazing?

by LordMike 2008-11-05 10:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

We beat McCain by BIGGER margins in PA and Ohio than Clinton beat Obama.  Just to put it in perspective.

by Jess81 2008-11-06 12:11AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

Rather upset about prop-8, although BPK80 put at least a halfway ok face on it by pointing out that just a few years back, a similar measure passed overwhelmingly.

What's bugging me almost as much is the backlash.  Dan Savage, who REALLY ought to know better, is singling out African Americans as the villians behind it, even though Asians and Catholics voted for it in roughly equal proportions.

So, you're getting reactions like this:

Sadly, this actually does give the anti-black racists a good line. The black community had the chance to make an intelligent decision and they didn't. Oppossing prop 8 was a decision that any intelligent human could make with the simple use of logic without the need for any external convincing towards either side. Posted by Gavin | November 5, 2008 11:56 PM

by Jess81 2008-11-06 12:10AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

"Minorities pitted against minorities is probably the most destructive force on earth."

That, and religion.  Though the two seem to cross paths pretty often (Thanks for continuing centuries of oppression, LDS).

by ProgressiveDL 2008-11-06 01:34AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

As much as i do not want to pursue this matter, no one can deny that it was the black voters who passed Prop 8. If they had not turnout in extra numbers because we would win Cali anyhow, or have the commonsense to understand discrimination, Prop 8 would have failed. Don't put the blame on others for the failure. Time to grow up. Time to stop blaming others or making excuses for problems. We cannot solve problems till mistakes are admitted. It's time to grow up. Sorry but i was trying to express my opinion without sounding racist as with Prop 8, it will take at least another 8 years before we might score another chance.

by stevent 2008-11-06 01:42AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

No, put it on the ballot during the midterm primaries or something like that, where turnout would be lower...

There are still opportunities to turn this around....

by LordMike 2008-11-06 03:19AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

It will be harder to get people to amend the consitution back to affirming gay marriage.

Saying no to eliminating gay marriage was a far, far easier task.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-11-06 05:00AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

We should put it on the ballot for every election from now on until they repeal the amendment.  Make the people of California sick of the issue and want it gone.  Eventually, when old people die and young voters take their place, Californians will affirm gay marriage.

On the other hand, the amendment seems like it was unconstitutional, so maybe the courts will take care of it first.

by umcpgreg 2008-11-06 08:04AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

You are walking on think ice. What makes you think that Blacks and Latinos weren't voting with their heart and their brain when it came to Prop 8 ?
Aren't Democrats allowed to differ on some issues?
Your statement that the minority extra turnout was 'unecessary' because Obama awould have won anyhow reeks of political expolitationism.* You seem to think that the minority vote is only required to push causes through that you deem worthy*. Sorry buddy, you need to turn in your Democrat card on that one.
The modern Democratic Party is the real big tent, and we are not going to agree on everything, all of the time.
Gay marriage is a controversial issue that crosses party lines, believe it or not. There are many Democrats of faith who are against it, and many Libertarian Republicans who are for it.
Just remember that the President-Elect is an advocate of Civil Unions and not gay marriage.
Personally, as a devout Christan, I am against it. But as  Democrat, I know that legally,  prohibition of gay marriage is probably un- constituional and it will eventually happen. Either way, it's not important enough on my radar yet to consider leaving the last best political hope for America, the Modern Democratic Party.

Now, back to  the lovefest, because you're ruining my buzz. LOL

by xodus1914 2008-11-06 05:03AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

The buzz of the LGBT community across the country has already been ruined, so I don't really feel so bad about yours.  Sorry.

Also, it's really annoying when I hear "as a devout Christian, I'm against it."  There are lots of devout Christians, as well as many entire denominations, who are not against it, and who don't use their faith as a bludgeon for hatred and intolerance.  If you are against it, fine, but don't hide behind your religion as an excuse.  Unless you're avoiding poly-cotton tee-shirts and shellfish, and are advocating for public stonings of adulterers and anyone who says "Goddammit," and think it's okay to own slaves from neighboring countries, then you're not taking everything in the Bible to heart.  (As you know, that's a very abbreviated list, of course.)

You are entitled to your opinion, but to say that it's because you're a Christian ignores the fact that many, many, many Christians and people of faith from all religions disagree with your position.  Better to say, "As a Christian whose church has taken an anti-gay position, I follow the religious leaders I have chosen and am against gay marriage."

Please don't presume to reflect the beliefs of all Christians in your statements.

I guess having basic civil rights extended to ALL citizens rather than just most is "not important enough on your radar."  Too bad.  Too bad that millions of Americans have to pay tens of thousands of extra dollars in taxes, can't get partners' pensions, don't have the same access to health insurance, and can lose their kids, their house, their job, and sometimes their life just because they happened to be born gay.  Oh well, better get on to the more important things.

by Ms Bluezone 2008-11-06 06:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread
Ok,for starters, please remove yourself your soapbox. If a person calls themself a Christian and they profess to follow the Bible, then there is very little room for interpretation on some matters and homosexuality, and anything that falls under the 10 Commandments a sin. Period. Churches, denominations and religions can condone it, and call themselves Christian, but that doesn't make it so. But that's another story.
The simple fact is that civil unions are the happy medium. But people like you will fight incessantly until the majority that would go along with civil unions initially, will feel beat down to the point that they may not even support that in the long run.
Remember that gender and race discrimination are intrinsically linked to human civil rights. Until homosexuality can be scientifically defined to be determined at birth, these rights won't be fully extended as long as people can attribute homosexuality to external factors such as child abuse, voluntary and involuntary adult experiences.
Sorry for the book.
by xodus1914 2008-11-06 05:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

The same can be said of Asians, who have an equal voting clout as Black voters, or Catholics, who have an even greater one.  Yet Black voters are bearing the entire brunt.  The entire line of thinking is silly anyway.

by Jess81 2008-11-06 07:02AM | 0 recs
I'm Black and I Voted for Prop 8

I don't believe I was pitted against any human being in my affirmative vote for traditional marriage. I affirmed my belief that society functions best where boundaries are upheld.

I'm a lifelong Democrat, and I take no crap from those who say that I don't care about expanding the civil rights of others.

Being able to see your partner in the hospital is a civil right.

Inheriting your deceased partner's material wealth is a civil right.

Marriage, however, is not a right. Marriage is about a man and a woman creating a family. Period.

We will continue to expand our laws to protect gays and lesbians who form households and couples, but we have decided in California that we will not protect gays and lesbians at the expense of our traditions.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-11-06 04:58AM | 0 recs
Re: But see

I did not deny those rights by voting yes.

I affirmed my beliefs.

Now, it's the legislatures turn to expand the rights of gays and lesbians.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-11-06 05:05AM | 0 recs
Re: You did both

Marriage is a privilege, not a right.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-11-06 05:11AM | 0 recs
Useless

It's useless to argue logic when people are choosing their paths based on bigotry.  They can't see facts when they already have the picture in their mind that they want to see.

by Ms Bluezone 2008-11-06 07:11AM | 0 recs
Re: You did both

Make sure we get this right...

Marriage is a RELIGIOUS institution definition that the STATE has used traditionally for the idea of unions recognized LEGALLY by the STATE.  MARRIAGE is a religious ceremony.

CIVIL UNION is the current phrase being used to describe the LEGAL RECOGNITION of people entering into a LEGAL UNION that includes things like inheritance, responsability, and visitation, among others.  This is a sort of special "Package deal" that states put together to streamline the process.  Coordination with LEGALLY RECOGNIZED religions is also a streamlining.

While states may call their certificates MARRIAGE LICENSES, they are not, in the sense that NO CHURCH or RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATION is compelled to recognize any union that the state approves.  While religous entities do work together in recognizing marriages across church borders, all marriages are not universally recognized in all churches, not by far.  So while my marriage is recognized by some churches, If I joined another church, especially a conservative one, I would have to be "re-married" even though my marriage always had been and always would be accepted by the state.

Want to see what I mean?  Find out what it takes to get a "marriage" by the justice of the peace or some such.  You don't need a ceremony or anything, just to fill out the paperwork and have it properly witnessed, paid for, and turned in on time.  Not one drop of religion involved.

I guess it is time for our society to get off its lazy ass and properly define what a marriage and union are.  I think state governments either a. like the current set-up to appease their own world-view, b. like to pander to the religous conservatives, or c. just do not want to deal with the mess as it is too hard or may expend too much political capital on too small a group of constituents.

Where do I fall in all of this?

My wife is a Protestant Minister.  I am a Roman Catholic.  I do not approve of the homosexual lifestyle BUT I feal that denying state recognition of civil unions to people belittles and cheapens MY marriage that I cherish and work so hard on.  I served in the miltary and I would fight to protect that homosexual lifestyle and their RIGHT to state recognized Civil Unions.

In summary I say that religious "Marriage" is a priviledge and should be SEPERATED from state recognized "Civil Unions" that ALL state citizens need and that the STATE recognition should be seen as a RIGHT.

by Hammer1001 2008-11-06 10:10AM | 0 recs
Re: But see
Then the efforts of our Party should be focused on the consensus area, namely Civil Unions.
Most "Prop 8 Dems", would throw their weight behind a legal device that wwould include the benfits of marriage without calling it marriage. THis is what I think most gay advocates doen't realize.
by xodus1914 2008-11-06 05:20AM | 0 recs
People who say this are generally full of it

.. and don't put their money where their mouths are.

If you actually believe that gays and lesbians are being denied basic rights that could be addressed by civil union legislation, then I would expect you to be in the streets raising holy hell about this and advocating for it until it happens.  But this is rarely the case.

Tell me one thing you have done to proactively advocate for the rights of your LGBT sisters and brothers.  And then tell me what you are going to do starting today to get this done.

If you have things to tell me, great, and thank you for your support.  If not, then shame on you for your callous disregard for the civil rights of millions of your fellow Americans.

by Ms Bluezone 2008-11-06 07:09AM | 0 recs
Re: I'm Black and I Voted for Prop 8

Being married in a church is a decision of a church... a church is supposed to be peopled with individuals, ordained and of the congregation, whose principle concern should be the respect, best welfare and spiritual comfort of all individuals in their community.

Being married in a civil ceremony is a right for all citizens.

Seems to me the end result should be the same thing.  An individual who commits to a loving and supportive relationship in close harmony with another individual may be married.

The problem isn't marriage: it is love or lack thereof.

by Palli 2008-11-06 05:22AM | 0 recs
Re: I'm Black and I Voted for Prop 8

Forty years ago, the Supreme Court ruled that couples had a right to marriage, and that it was not a privilege.

Marriage is not about a man and a woman creating a family.  If that were the case, marriage laws should have be written so that childless married couples marriages would be annuled after a certain time, or that one of a couple who could not have children (post-menopausal women or infertile men) could not get married.

Marriage was originally a contract between two men, originally one that would force the son of one man and the daughter together.  It later evolved to being a contract where one man's property (the father's daughter) would be transferred to the ownership of another (the man getting married).

Other cultures demanded that when a man's brother died, his sister-in-law became his wife; so marriage wasn't between a man and a woman, it was between a man and possibly two or three women.

Other cultures allow a man to marry a woman and a woman and a woman and a woman.

So this talk about "Marriage is about a man and a woman creating a family. Period," is bullshit.

by Khun David 2008-11-06 05:33AM | 0 recs
agree with you here, but with a twist

I don't think marriage is at all the business of the state. The word 'marriage' should no longer be used in any federal or state law or wording. As far as the State is concerned (federal or otherwise), there should only be recognitions of civil unions be they straight, gay, lesbian, monogamous or polygamous.

Then again... I'm Libertarian-biased

by Dickie Simpkins 2008-11-06 05:38AM | 0 recs
so those of us not planning on creating a family

should go get divorced?

REEALLY>

Those women who are unable to bear children should go kill themselves, rather than continue to be lawfully wedded wives. REALLY.

Not happy camper wants you to go turn your dem card in, and replace it with Dem With Conditions card.

Can we Please Has Quaker Marriage back nowz?

by RisingTide 2008-11-06 07:17AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

I wish I had never become invested in the Franken campaign.  If I hadn't, I'd be happy as a lark right now.  As it is, I'm pretty pissed.

by lojasmo 2008-11-06 02:33AM | 0 recs
6,000 bad ballots

There are 6,000 ballots which were not counted in the Senate race because the machines kicked them out.

There's still hope.

Fraken's down only 477 votes and dwindling....

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-11-06 05:03AM | 0 recs
Re: 6,000 bad ballots

I know that, and thanks for the reminder.  If I had not been sucked into the magic of all things Franken, I could be rejoicing without compunction right now.

Also, Prop. 8, and Stevens.  Gaah.

by lojasmo 2008-11-06 05:49AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

How are you feeling about the election?

1) in a vacuum: the achievement is inspirational  that the US finally elected a minority as POTUS - it almost feels like redemption of the US from the reign of terror and assault on sanity of bush and the republicans that we inflicted on humanity.

2) in context: it took way too long, and required way, way too much suffering to reach the achievement. Aside from the untold legions of minority Americans that previously had good reason to have no hope that this could occur, it is a travesty of epic proportions that it took so much  massive suffering inflicted on humanity by bush and the republicans for Americans to make this change, including:

* a million unnecessary deaths in Iraq and many millions more maimed and displaced

• the lost opportunity costs of at least a trillion dollars wasted inflicting the destruction of Iraq
  • the US as promoter of torture and rendition - the evisceration of the rule of law and the Constitutional separation of powers - a criminal executive - the implementation of a police state in the US based on fear and lies of measures necessary for phony security.
  • an economic catastrophe the depths of suffering  from which is not nearly known yet and from which hardship will be felt by many for many years to come.
  • the promotion and embrace of religious intolerance and attacks on science

the reign of greed, insanity, and terror of bush and the republicans should NEVER have occurred - it is way too steep a price to pay for the simple decency that should be a natural part of electing leaders based on their capabilities and policies, not on their ethnicity or religious beliefs.

America should never forget the enormous price in human suffering that it took to elect a minority as POTUS. Lets hope America can use the vaunted intelligence of humans to make its next great step forward without first inflicting quite so much suffering.

by gak 2008-11-06 02:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

I am excited for Obama but absolutely appalled that Prop 8 passed after spending 35 million dollars lying about schools, kids and churches. I guess it's hard to sell bigotry with a straight argument. I think the great unsung story of this election is how the Mormon Church came up with at least 20 million dollars of that money. So they get pride of place in doling out blame on why we lost this thing.

by wjpugliese 2008-11-06 02:37AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

That so many AA's who voted for Obama also voted for Prop 8 to the tune of 70%. Donna Brazile and Donnie McClurkin's words are ringing in my head. I feel quite foolish for voting for Obama and for celebrating on Tuesday night. I think it's time for gay people to re acess our priorities and who are real friends are.

by Iceblinkjm 2008-11-06 02:57AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

That's absurd... If Hillary was the nominee, those same latinos and AA's would be voting for Prop 8 as well...

Don't blame the candidate... Blame the cultural forces at work in these communities then work to change them!

by LordMike 2008-11-06 03:17AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

So Obama is responsible for how all Black people vote? This argument is so outrageous it is insulting. It makes me doubt that you actually did vote for Obama.

by Lolis 2008-11-06 05:30AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

You voted for Obama to do black people a favor?

That was dumb.

by Jess81 2008-11-06 07:04AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

I'm not feeling much of anything.  I'm just exhausted from almost two years worth of arguments and debates.  I also have a certain amount of foreboding about the gravity of the global economic crisis facing us, and the deepness of the shit Bush has piled up over eight years for Obama to deal with, foreign and domestic.  These reflections have put a damper on my ability to celebrate.

When I start to add up in my head the huge number of areas in which significant change is needed, how interconnected those areas are, and how many people are anxiously awaiting change in the areas most important to themselves personally, the task seems almost overwhelming, and I wonder what strategic agenda Obama will devise toward establishing priorities and making the changes in a systematic fashion, maintaining legislative support throughout.

I have been trying to get information on possible Obama appointments.  The decisions he makes over the next few days about whom to put in charge of the key departments are momentous, and will be just as important as the policy decisions he implements as president.

I suppose I'm experiencing an emotional letdown, which is a normal response for me to the end of a long struggle.  I expect that as inauguration day gets closer, my spirits will pick up again.

by Dan Kervick 2008-11-06 03:08AM | 0 recs
Prop 8 feel awful

This morning's NYT article was depressing to read.  Latino & AA support is being heralded as key for Prop 8 passage, and that is so sad.

The fact of it's passage is bad enough, but for fellow minorities to be the people that are depriving me and my people of our rights is just devastating and feels like betrayal.

I don't like the feeling of cracks developing in our Obama coalition. I hope we make some serious progress on pulling together and FAST.  I am overjoyed about Obama's win.  I hope those minority people who voted in favor of depriving my rights in CA and other states wake up to our common humanity soon.

I hope Obama finds a way to heal these wounds. He needs to rethink this particular nuanced position.

by sarany 2008-11-06 03:08AM | 0 recs
when you suffer, we all suffer

we need more Rev. Wrights. We need more mixed churches. We need more representation.
And we need to LISTEN more.

When your black brothers and sisters say that you aren't listening to them (and a lot of gay ones do) -- you gotta perk up your ears and do something.

Make sure your own community ain't split, and then move on to the world.

by RisingTide 2008-11-06 07:22AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

With 70 days left to go, is anyone watching Bush?

George W. Bush has done so much to damage this country, it is a relief to have Obama elected.

But 70 days is a long time... and Bush could still make the mess he created worse. What could he do with the military, say, by creating a shakeup with Iran? Or how could he make the financial crisis be worse?

And Cheney... Cheney is still in place and he worries me more than Bush, primarily because we NEVER see what he is doing.

One thing the blogs will do is stay as much on top of Bush as possible.

I hope.

Under The LobsterScope

by btchakir 2008-11-06 03:09AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

Aside from Obama, of course, the sweetest victory was right here in Hampton Roads: we ejected our empty suit, Republican rubber stamp congresswoman Thelma Drake in favor of Glenn Nye.

Biggest upsets are the Senate races in Minnesota and Alaska (pending the absentees, of course). I thought Franken might pull off a win, and to see him lose by a few hundred votes is heartbreaking. Not getting rid of Michele Bachmann was a bummer too, as well as losing Nancy Boyda. Maybe she can run for Governor in 2010 or something.

by johnny longtorso 2008-11-06 03:22AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

I am pleased that MI passed a measure losening restrictions on stem cell research.

Our economy is terrible and the thought of losing out on the inevitable Federal funding would have been tragic for us.

Winning IN and looks like NC is huge.

Taking Jesse Helm's senate seat was beautiful.

Al Franken probably losing will be a disapointment.  I'm looking at the silver lining of another book, or return to radio or TV:-))

by nintendofanboy 2008-11-06 03:46AM | 0 recs
Prop 8 Hangover

I am angry at the fellow Dems who turned on us.  Signs need to be erected at marriage license bureaus across the country: "Gays need not apply," and "Heteros only."  Gay people are the new Irish, the new Black.

by candideinnc 2008-11-06 03:52AM | 0 recs
remind them that they think abortion is wrong too

;-)

Rev. Wright was very helpful with Aids missions and homosexuals in the church. and he's evangelical. They ain't all bad.

by RisingTide 2008-11-06 07:24AM | 0 recs
rev. wright is a firebrand

... every once in a while, he said something he probably shouldn't have. but most of the time he got people motivated, and they did good deeds.
also, a lot of that was taken out of context.

I still can't get over that he things the gov't might have done the aids virus, but... everyone's entitled to something crazy, I guess.

by RisingTide 2008-11-07 05:52AM | 0 recs
Nothing "new"

Gays have been run off, beaten, tortured, and murdered simply for their orientation. But most often their basic humanity is denied by our society's demand that they stay hidden away.

by Spiffarino 2008-11-06 07:42PM | 0 recs
Disappointment in Alaska for me

Come on. A convicted felon!

by sepulvedaj3 2008-11-06 04:47AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

We NEED public and private arenas for political discourse between elections so the ill-informed, un-thinking opinions don't harden in the 6 weeks before an election.  True thinking and learning are processes that require time; didactic learning is memorization; the simpler the message- the more lazy and quick the learning.  Therefore it is easier to memorize lies.

But I still don't understand why "do to others as you would do to yourself" is not simple enough!

by Palli 2008-11-06 05:00AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

Well here in Maasachusetts, land of all things Democratic, with Kerry (one of my favorite people) angling for the Secretary of State position, and the possibility of an open Senate seat for the first time in 24 years here, we're seeing an abundance of political riches. In particular, there is talk of Martha Moakley (another one of my favorites) possibly running if that happens.  We are very short on women in political office here and that would be a huge deal.

The worst thing, I really have liked Al Franken since his days on SNL, found him smart and incisive and was extremely excited about his Senate run.  Am really pissed about that.

by mady 2008-11-06 05:12AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

Still teary eyed. Every time I read something about the election and the celebrations that followed around the country. Around the world even.

I'm living in Ireland and a small village in County Offaly -- where Barrack's great great great grandparents on his mother's side are from.. They had a big election night party. The band sang, "No one is more Irish than Barrack O'Bama."

by carrieboberry 2008-11-06 05:14AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

For me, it was more like Christmas afternoon: all the presents are unwrapped and I'm, like, is this all? So disappointed with my home state and prop 8 and the apparent defeat of some of my pet candidates. On the other hand, high-speed rail passed in California, and that's pretty cool. Merkeley's looking like he made it in Oregon. Darcy Burner and Al Frankin are still hanging in there. See, I'm already crawling out of my funk-hole.

by 1arryb 2008-11-06 05:21AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

I am very excited and proud about the Indiana win. Almost all of my family went to Indiana over several weekends and campaigned for him. Even my brother, who works overnight shifts at work, would drive from Chicago every Saturday after getting off of his job around 8:00 am to do data entry in Indiana. He has a bad stutter and wanted to be able to help out without having to speak with people. I've gone door to door with my mom, my dad, and my fella. I've even brought along some first-time-canvasser friends for the trip. So when we heard every precinct in Hammond went to Obama, there was a small sense of pride along with general feelings of crazy awesomeness at the huge Obama victory.

I am also really happy that every anti-abortion measure was defeated!

Super, super disappointed about Prop 8. I was at the rally in Grant Park, and throughout my excitement, I kept trying to find out about Prop 8. I was standing next to a lovely gay couple and we were all celebrating together- and I was so hoping to celebrate a big win for equal rights as well. It was not fun waking up to that news. I hope they protest like crazy and take it to court.

by cecilybecily 2008-11-06 05:34AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

HOPE Won the Presidency. HATE Won the Ballot Initiatives.

As an EX Puma and I can now say EX. I am proud of our country and proud of Obama. Being here in Cali, I had the luxury of knowing that my writing Hillary's name on the ballot (therefore that vote not counting) would be fine due to Ca being Obama territory.

But now I'm on board, looking forward to a NEW Democratic administration with a FULL Democratic congress. I mean really, this is more than we could all hope for.

I am VERY sad about Prop 8 here in CA and I am hoping that a Pres Obama and Dem Congress can help push through some of the LGBT issues.

I understand that 3 lawsuits were filed yesterday in CA court and, fortunately, Jerry Brown is our attorney General so that will help our cause.

I hope that my marriage to my Partner of 15 years will remain valid.

I honestly thought that "my political year" (the book I want to write on following the Hillary Clinton campaign around for all these months) was finished on November 4th, but I now realize this could become "my political yearS" now that I am deeply involved and affected by Prop 8.

by nikkid 2008-11-06 05:35AM | 0 recs
As a Missourian, Obama's close loss here hurts

Even after running up the score in KC, Columbia, St. Louis city, and St. Louis county, even after narrowly winning a handful of other counties won by Bush, way too many people in other parts of the state just couldn't bring themselves to vote for Obama.

Strangely I am almost as disappointed in my state as a whole as I was in 2000 and 2004, and for that reason, while my brain tells me to be overjoyed that the real grownups will soon be in charge of the country, my heart saddens me that Missouri didn't turn blue in the wave of change.

by LSdemocrat1 2008-11-06 05:44AM | 0 recs
bastard republicans

else we would have won. 6 hour lines  are insanity.

by RisingTide 2008-11-06 07:27AM | 0 recs
Virigina racists for Obama

So I got my whole family and a few of my relatives, and a majority of my friends to vote for Obama in Buckingham County, Virgina.

You'll see that Buckingham was a blue county...

but here is the thing, that night sitting with dad and his friends (who mostly went for Obama) right after Obama's speech, they cracked a joke, a joke I'll share but don't agree with, but just to give everyone here an idea of the prevailing attitude.

someone cracked, "Barack Obama - just another black man asking you to spare some change."

to roaring laughter.

Not a black man in the room.

My stomach churned, but I kept quiet, I knew I was around a bunch of drunk rednecks (dad included) and know my place in these environments.

Anyways, I was warmed by their cheers for Obama, and their true happiness for his victory.

regarding the election in general:

N. Carolina, Virginia, Indiana... wow!

but between the 2 speeches, it was McCain who made me cry, had he campaigned in the manner he conceded, I probably would've gone for him... Obama caught me after Feb 5th, but McCain truly lost me after Pailin.

by Dickie Simpkins 2008-11-06 05:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Virigina racists for Obama

Oh I forgot to add....

I voted for Tom Perillo too...

felt weird voting straight ticket... especially being a  lifelong Republican

by Dickie Simpkins 2008-11-06 05:56AM | 0 recs
pish. you think that's bad?

south of here we had people saying
"I'm voting for the nigger"

That's still north of the mason dixon.

by RisingTide 2008-11-06 07:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Election Hangover Open Thread

A little post-election humor here:

by MtnFrost 2008-11-06 06:41AM | 0 recs
Franken's deficit down to 217!

WoooHoooo!