Did Rahm Emanuel Accept Chief of Staff Position?

MSNBC just reported that Emanuel has accepted the position of Barack Obama's chief of staff. That's one guy who won't be replacing Barack in the Senate.

Update [2008-11-5 14:54:48 by Todd Beeton]:Here we go. MSNBC is asking if hiring on a pitbull like Rahm, "the enforcer," is sending the right message of unity and conciliation.

Update [2008-11-5 16:42:7 by Todd Beeton]:First Read is now reporting that the report that Emanuel had accepted may have been premature.

*** UPDATE *** In an email to NBC News, Emanuel spokeswoman Sarah Feinberg denies the reporting that Emanuel has accepted the chief of staff job.

Tags: rahm emanuel (all tags)

Comments

Re: Rahm Emanuel Has Accepted

Hugely smart move by Obama.

Rahm will help with relations on The Hill.  A smart guy, a tough guy too.  It will also help with any rifts that might exist from folks from the Clinton camp.

On the other hand, if you were looking for change you just got a glimpse that it isn't coming.

Emmanual isn't about any new style of politics.  He is old school.   He is a Clinton protege as well.

by RichardFlatts 2008-11-05 09:51AM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel Has Accepted

Yea, good move... from a holding the fort viewpoint.

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-11-05 09:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel Has Accepted Chief of Staff

I think this is great news. He'll keep everyone in line, and he scares the hell out of the GOP.

by LakersFan 2008-11-05 09:51AM | 0 recs
Oh well

Well at least we've gotten him out of the House. With any luck, his self-serving DLC MO will end up embarrassing Obama's administration and get him kicked out.  Certainly easier than defeating him in the House.

Now watch for a WH agenda that places its highest priorities on Obama's corporate donors.  Hopefully Obama can serve his donors and still do something for the good of the country too.

Rahm and Pelosi have already told us that health care reform is "off the table", so there we go!

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2 008/11/05/1651482.aspx

by Betsy McCall 2008-11-05 09:56AM | 0 recs
Re: Oh well

I almost feel sorry for Obama.

His core supporters will back him no matter what.  But there are plenty who bought the hype or believed the campaign promises, or both.  These people are going to be pissed.   We'll have a whole group of nitwits running for Nader or someother fool in 2010 because they didn't get their "change."

What change?   Go to the store and buy a pack of gum.

by RichardFlatts 2008-11-05 09:58AM | 0 recs
Re: Oh well

aww whining already?  It is okay you were humiliated beyond belief yesterday so I won't verbally pile on, but this Obama supporter is happy with the decision.

by hocuspocus 2008-11-05 10:01AM | 0 recs
Re: Oh well

Like I said.

by RichardFlatts 2008-11-05 10:06AM | 0 recs
Re: Oh well

Actually Obama was my last choice in the primary and I stand behind my reasoning. However, I am very heartened to see that he may be tapping those from the Clinton White House. I find it reassuring.

by jrsygrl 2008-11-05 01:12PM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel Has Accepted

On MSNBC's Morning Joe program, Joe Scarborough reacted very negatively when the discussion turned to Obama offering the position of Chief of Staff to Rahm, saying something like 'memo to all conservatives: so much for Obama's talk about reaching across the aisle'. I'm not sure why he feels that way, but that's what happened. Personally, I think Rahm is a subperb choice, but had my doubts he'd accept. Very glad he decided to.

by phoenixdreamz 2008-11-05 09:56AM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel Has Accepted

Pleasing Joe Scarborough will have to be a lower priority for a while! There's a big difference between building coalitions and pandering to the Right. With the hyperpolarization during the Bush administration, many have forgotten the former.

by De Re Rustica 2008-11-05 10:37AM | 0 recs
Clinton style centrist

Rahm Emmanuel is a Clinton style centrist.

That is the first indication of how Obamma intends to govern.

I have no idea who Obamma is but it will be interesting to find out - if we ever do.

by dMarx 2008-11-05 09:57AM | 0 recs
Re: Clinton style centrist

It will take sometime to find out.   Axlerod will probably start the polling to determine the first 100 day agenda on Monday.  First they have to focus group test the music choices for the inauguration.

by RichardFlatts 2008-11-05 09:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Clinton style centrist

If Obama had also won a filibuster proof Senate majority, he'd have been able to govern more to the left, but as it is, he'll have to adopt a somewhat more centrist stance to get anything accomplished. All you can do is play the hand you're dealt the best you can.

by phoenixdreamz 2008-11-05 10:12AM | 0 recs
Re: Clinton style centrist

The Republicans didn't have a filibuster-proof majority either. But they steamrollered us anyway, just by threatening the "nuclear option". Maybe we should do the same. Or is that option off the table? Are all options off the table except continuing to appease neocons?

by antiHyde 2008-11-05 12:28PM | 0 recs
Perfect

Good decision, put a centrist pit bull who knows his way around congress and has a nack to get bills passed.  Obama plays the good guy and Rahm plays the bad guy, perfect combo.

by hocuspocus 2008-11-05 09:59AM | 0 recs
Problem is Obama said he will delegate

The Chief of Staff is the most powerful guy in the place next to the President.   A lot will be delegated to him, or he will get to help decide who it gets delegated too.

Democrats have been out of power for eight year.   The only people with a lot of experience are Clinton people.   You are going to be seeing a lot of Clinton people.

Heck, Rahm is the first guy on board, and is a Chicago guy.  So who is going to be exerting the most influence on every Cabinet pick left to be made?

As a former Clinton supporter, I hate to say I told you so, but Obama has no plans to be different, no plans to see the dawn of some new day, etc, etc.

But I do think Obama hit a homerun with this pick.

by RichardFlatts 2008-11-05 10:04AM | 0 recs
Re: Problem is Obama said he will delegate

um I have a little secret to tell ya, most Obama supporters don't give a damn if there are Clinton people in an Obama administration, we care about getting bills passed.

Hell I hope he considers moderate Republicans as well.

by hocuspocus 2008-11-05 10:08AM | 0 recs
Re: Problem is Obama said he will delegate

Progressive gonna be okay with that?   Moderate republicans?   Next thing ya know he'll be triangulating.

We all know how hugely popular triangulating was with progressives.

by RichardFlatts 2008-11-05 10:16AM | 0 recs
Re: Problem is Obama said he will delegate

how is adding different perspectives in an administration triangulating?  Ultimately the agenda is derived and approved by the President.  There will be times where he will want to be progressive, conservative, or liberal in his policies.  Group thinking is why Bush is at 20 percent approval rating.

by hocuspocus 2008-11-05 10:47AM | 0 recs
Re: Problem is Obama said he will delegate

I'm the only pure progressive in the country.  Everyone else is a sell out or a secret centrist or a cryptofascist or misogynist or a passive racist.

Me me me!  I'm the only one.  So screw all you sell out centrists ad hooray for ME!!!  I'm the only true progressive in the country!

My progressivism is pure perfection!  I have all the answers and anyone who disagrees with my politics is a sleaze.

Hooray for me!

by marcbrazeau 2008-11-05 11:06AM | 0 recs
Re: Problem is Obama said he will delegate

Obama is post-politics.

by devoted1 2008-11-05 01:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel

Rahm is a good choice for the job.  I just wish his people were a little less leaky, we've gotten to hear every detail of this little subplot over the last several days when there were more important things to worry about.  How I long for a White House as leak-proof as Obama's campaign was.

by Steve M 2008-11-05 10:01AM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel

I think those leaks were intentional.  It gave the press something shiny to play with leading up to election day and it sent a subtle message to those Clinton voters that might have been on the fence with their votes.  Not to mention Obama managed to sort of "vet" the name with progressives prior to the announcement.

I don't know much about Rahm's staff, but I'm not getting the feeling that the leaks were accidental at all.

by hello world 2008-11-05 10:09AM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel

Then how come we are still hearing all these "maybe, maybe not" leaks the day after the election?  How it is electorally helpful to know that Rahm is "agonizing" over the decision, after the votes have already been cast?

by Steve M 2008-11-05 12:51PM | 0 recs
Its a great decision. Everyone whining about

him should realize that his job is not to set the agenda. His centrist politics are of little relevance. Rahm will do a fine job helping Obama execute his progressive agenda.

by BlueGAinDC 2008-11-05 10:04AM | 0 recs
Re: Its a great decision. Everyone whining about

meh they need something to whine about

sad part it's going to get worse in the next four years

by hocuspocus 2008-11-05 10:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Its a great decision. Everyone whining about

Exactly.  His job will be to execute the agenda and Rahm is good at that.

by jmnyc 2008-11-05 10:24AM | 0 recs
Rahm rocks

I'm thrilled with the pick.

by Reaper0Bot0 2008-11-05 10:05AM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel Has Accepted Chief of Staff Posit

Remember the Clinton years?  We can expect almost incessant whining from the MSM about Obama's each and every move.

We need to ignore that whining, support our guy, and continue the fight.

This isn't over - it's just beginning.

by baghdadjoe 2008-11-05 10:06AM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel Has Accepted Chief of Staff Posit
Well said.
I think Rahm would be a great choice, he is very direct, smart and a great organizer.
No doubt some heads will be spinning on both sides of the blogosphere, but you can't please everyone.
I wish everyone would just trust Obama to make the right decisions the same way he has been doing during his campaign.
by skohayes 2008-11-05 12:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel Has Accepted Chief of

Apparently the whining on our side has already revved back up again as well.

by rfahey22 2008-11-05 10:12AM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel Has Accepted Chief of

Oh, gentle rfahey22, don't you see? The whining was there all along! The only difference is that now, I no longer care.

by vcalzone 2008-11-05 12:50PM | 0 recs
WOULD YOU QUIT WHINING?!?

The Chief of Staff doesn't set policy, the Chief of Staff twists arms and makes the sausage.
Rahm is PERFECT for this role, and it takes him out of the House Leadership line of succession.

Love him or hate him, he may be a sonovabitch, but he's OUR sonovabitch, and he brooks no TomFoolery.

Good on him, President Obama wll not be bossed around.

I can't believe you people! You give up so damn easy on everything, EVEN WHEN WE WIN!

by neutron 2008-11-05 10:13AM | 0 recs
Re: WOULD YOU QUIT WHINING?!?

This sends a good message that Obama means business.  Obama is not making the Clinton mistake of bringing in a novice like Mack McClarty as CoS.  Instead, he has a CoS who knows how to work the Hill, who will be a true gatekeeper and who will play bad cop if necessary.

by jmnyc 2008-11-05 10:29AM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel Has Accepted Chief

Rahm?  PitBull?  You have to be kidding me?

This guy was the master of caving to Republicans!

He said we shouldn't run against the war in Iraq in 2006 'cos it would be too politically dangerous!

Pibull my ass!!!

by LordMike 2008-11-05 10:16AM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel Has Accepted Chief of Staff Posit

I can't stand Rahm in the house, but he did a great job in the D Trip.  I think this was a GREAT choice.

by lojasmo 2008-11-05 10:18AM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel Has Accepted Chief of Staff Posit

Just realized it takes more time to type "D Trip" than it does to type dccc

Sigh.

by lojasmo 2008-11-05 10:19AM | 0 recs
Y'know what else?

This would steal Luca Brasi away from a lot of the Dems that might otherwise try to undermine Obama. All of a sudden, one of the most powerful centrist/middling operatives is no longer at play.

Of course, this could also be something Rahm is using to negotiate a much more serious position in the House. Which would suck.

by vcalzone 2008-11-05 12:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Y'know what else?

I think this is a play by Obama to accomplish that to which your godfather reference alludes.

Pretty savvy.

by lojasmo 2008-11-05 05:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel Has Accepted Chief of Staff Posit

Dumb move on Emanuel's part. He would have had far more power in the House and would have easily become Speaker in 5 to 10 yrs. Now, Steny Hoyer has his chance...(throw up).

by bsavage 2008-11-05 10:41AM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel Has Accepted

I think Rahm's decision involved self sacrifice, and give him alot of credit for it.

by phoenixdreamz 2008-11-05 10:47AM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel Has Accepted

That's true, but he could have helped more people by passing legislation and been more effective in the House.

by bsavage 2008-11-05 10:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel Has Accepted

I think that legislation is going to e generated ad whipped from the White House ad its a great place for him to be.

by marcbrazeau 2008-11-05 11:24AM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel Has Accepted

I agree with some opinions I've seen. I think he might be eyeing the governor's seat. It would be about a year or so of getting everybody in line, then a hearty, lengthy, ringing endorsement of his governing abilities from the only Chicago president ever.

by vcalzone 2008-11-05 12:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Rahm Emanuel

Another advantage: It opens up the third spot in the House... maybe for current D-trip chair Chris Van Hollen (my congressman and a pretty solid progressive). In 10 years we could be looking at Speaker Van Hollen, which is SO much better than Speaker Emanuel.

by js noble 2008-11-05 11:18AM | 0 recs
Am I the only one??

that is still in shock from last night???

I am sorry I don't have a contructive comment to add but ummmm my brain is trying to process what happen last night its gonna take a few weeks until it reboots and is able to digest this.

maybe its a dream?? but I tried pinching myself (ouch) I am afraid to wake up and hear Bush version 3.0 our president.........

If you told me two years ago America is will elect a African American named BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA I would have said you are smoking some good stuff

by wellinformed 2008-11-05 11:29AM | 0 recs
Opportunity

Well, can't say that I like the idea of Rahm being a top advisor to Obama, but I'm not surprised.  Can any of us really be thrilled that the person who pushed through the bailout and caved on FISA retroactive immunity will be this close to our new leader?

That said, we have an opportunity to put a very progressive person in Rahm's soon to be vacant House seat.  His district is heavily gay and well-educated/white/social progressives in Chicago.  Not sure how the process works to replace (governor appointee?), but there are plenty of good progressives to choose from.  In my opinion, it would be hard to do worse than Emmanuel.

by passionateprogressive 2008-11-05 11:51AM | 0 recs
Re: Opportunity

Special Election. But, Rahm will handpick his successor. It's a Cook County tradition. Does he have a son or daughter that needs a job?

by antiHyde 2008-11-05 12:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Did Rahm Emanuel Accept

Sounds like they screwed the pooch on the rollout.  Reminds me of the Biden announcement debacle.   Are there loose lips in Camp Obama?

by RichardFlatts 2008-11-05 12:20PM | 0 recs
Staff Position

Damn, I was real busy and I didn't get here soon enough to let SmashedFlat or whatever his name is have a piece of my mind. Oh, well. Next time, maybe.

by QTG 2008-11-05 12:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Did Rahm Emanuel Accept Chief of Staff Positio

I for one am heartened to see members of Clinton's staff being brought into the fold.  The Clinton years were great years.

by jrsygrl 2008-11-05 01:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Did Rahm Emanuel Accept Chief of Staff Positio

I am though concerned about taking any Dems from Congress, as Clinton pointed out.  We need to keep our numbers.

I love the idea of having a pit bull in the cabinet though. Do you really think the Republicans will even pretend to work with us. Hell NO.

by jrsygrl 2008-11-05 01:11PM | 0 recs
Re: Did Rahm Emanuel Accept Chief of Staff Positio

He'll be replaced by a democratic appointment.  I suggest Tammy Duckworth.

by lojasmo 2008-11-05 05:22PM | 0 recs