Lieberman's Campaign Chair: There Must Be Consequences

A stunning rebuke of Joe Lieberman from the man who chaired his 2004 Presidential campaign:

Sen. Tom Carper (D-Del.), a close ally of Sen. Joe Lieberman, said the Connecticut Independent should pay a price for his campaign attacks against President-elect Barack Obama.

"There need to be consequences, and they cannot be insignificant," Carper said in a Monday interview with The Hill.

Carper, a fellow centrist who was Delaware campaign chairman for Lieberman's  failed bid for president in 2004, said he and many other Senate Democrats are disappointed and even angered by their colleague's sometimes-inflammatory rhetoric during this year's presidential campaign.

[...]

Carper did not rule out stripping Lieberman of his coveted gavel running the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, or imposing other sanctions like taking away seniority on other committees or a subcommittee on Armed Services.

[...]

"I'm very disappointed as a friend and a colleague," Carper said.

Carper is exactly the type of Senator I expected to at least silently vote for Lieberman maintaining his chairmanship tomorrow, if not additionally speak out on Lieberman's behalf. After all, Carper, like Lieberman, has been closely associated with the Democratic Leadership Council and, as noted above, Carper served as Lieberman's campaign chairman just four years ago. Moreover, Carper even backed Lieberman after the he had lost his Democratic primary and had decided to run as an Independent back in August 2006.

If the Carpers of the Senate aren't in Lieberman's camp, how is he expecting to get a majority of the caucus on his side to keep his chairmanship?

Tags: 111th Congress, Joe Lieberman, Senate Democrats (all tags)

Comments

Re: Lieberman's Campaign Chair: There Must Be Cons

I would be surprised if he loses the chairmanship...

by lori 2008-11-17 10:21AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman's Campaign Chair: There Must Be Cons

Of course you would also probably be upset if he lost his chairmanship...

by JDF 2008-11-17 10:57AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman's Campaign Chair: There Must Be Cons

Whats happens who knows, but my guess is there is not even going to be an up or down vote on the chairmanship.  If there is a vote at all it will be some kind of compromise giving the Senator a chair of a committee perhaps keeping homeland security in exchange for something Reid really wants, but what that is who knows.

by THE MODERATE 2008-11-17 11:28AM | 0 recs
how to handle Lieberman
  1. He loses seniority until after the 2010 election. This is how the party handled previous Dem Senators who endorsed non-Dem candidates for POTUS.
  2. If Lieberman behaves during the next Congress he's eligible to get his seniority back. This isn't guaranteed.
  3. If Lieberman doesn't want to caucus with the Democrats, he's free to leave. If he leaves the Democrats are free to not call his bills for votes in committee or on the floor of the Senate.
by Carl Nyberg 2008-11-17 10:47AM | 0 recs
There Must Be Consequences

Well this is good news.

by Jess81 2008-11-17 11:26AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman's Campaign Chair

This may come as a shock to me of you who know me...but I stayed silent on the matter for the most part this year.  I was disappointed in his endorsement of John McCain and his speaking at the RNC.  That said, I'm not one of those that is entirely trashing the Senator.  National security and military aside, he always voted with the Democrats on important domestic issues such as the environment, global warming, etc.

That said, I can't defend his actions but the Democrats need him.

by kydem 2008-11-17 11:27AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman's Campaign Chair

Why do you believe the Dems need him?

by Carl Nyberg 2008-11-17 11:40AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman's Campaign Chair

On domestic issues, we need him there.

I refuse to get into a heated debate right now...I'm already stressed out with a 3 month+ job search in Chicago.  Being unemployed, despite having a college education at a master's level, stinks.

by kydem 2008-11-17 11:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman's Campaign Chair

What really sucks is when you take a job for less money than you are qualified for but you need the money so you take the job.  But I feel for you.

by THE MODERATE 2008-11-17 11:51AM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman's Campaign Chair

No, being unemployed entirely is worse.

Anyway, he may vote with the Democrats on some domestic issues, but his chairs are all on foreign policy.  He certainly doesn't need those.  And do you think he's start voting in lock-step with the Republicans if he loses his chairmanships?  With him up for reelection in 2010 in a fairly liberal state?

If the Democrats lose him, he'll be replaced by someone better.  But the Democrats probably won't lose him, because he has to answer to the voters.

by Jess81 2008-11-17 12:26PM | 0 recs
sadly, he's not up until 2012

It sucks.

by desmoinesdem 2008-11-17 12:34PM | 0 recs
Re: sadly, he's not up until 2012

Oh that's RIGHT, because in the primaries the supporters of Clinton and Obama used to blame each others' candidate for not helping Ned Lamont.  Which would only make sense if that happened in 2006.

Plus that was the year the Democrats reached 50 seats, which begat all sorts of annoying Washingtonspeak about "how sweet it is" that Joe Lieberman was in a position to cast a tiebreaking vote, what with him being "stabbed in the back by his own party".

I'm so sick of hearing about how such-and-such is stabbing Joe Lieberman in the back.  Al Gore was supposed to have stabbed Joe Lieberman in the back when he endorsed Howard Dean for President - like being somebody's VP pick means that THEY owe YOU.  "yeah, thanks for plucking me out of obscurity, but what's in it for me?"

by Jess81 2008-11-17 01:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman's Campaign Chair

it's rough...no matter how many resumes I send out, I'm getting very few interviews...and I did one year of national service as well!

by kydem 2008-11-17 01:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Not to bring you down more

i've worked all my connections at this point.

by kydem 2008-11-17 05:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Not to bring you down more

Have considered a lesser job that may be more blue collar than what you had hoped I know its not what you wanted but you may have to start somewhere.

by swl1966 2008-11-17 06:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman's Campaign Chair: There Must Be Cons

Lieberman opposed the Democratic candidate, campaigned vigorously for the Republican nominee, and repeated slurs against Obama.How much more would anyone have to do to justify expulsion or similar punishment?

The Bush administration rarely held anyone accountable. Let's not be the same. Hold this man accountable for his actions.

homer  www.altara.blogspot.com

by altara 2008-11-17 12:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman's Campaign Chair: There Must Be Cons

Glad my old Senator came out and said this. I'm pretty shocked, but I think Biden had something to do with this as Carper and Lieberman are pretty close. I'd like to think my email helped him come to this announcement....haha right.

by Airb330 2008-11-17 12:22PM | 0 recs
I don't anything by

these senators to say one thing and vote the opposite especially since it will be secret ballot.

by FLS 2008-11-17 12:52PM | 0 recs
Re: I don't anything by

That's exactly what I thought.  It makes perfect sense: Put out a nice juicy red-meat anti-Lieberman quote for blogospheric consumption and then vote for Lieberman anonymously.  Have your cake and eat it too...

Only problem is, if everybody votes for Lieberman--and it leaks out that Lieberman was unanimously supported by the Democratic caucus--then no one has cover.

by Will Graham 2008-11-17 06:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Lieberman's Campaign Chair: There Must Be Cons

If the Dems, at a minimum, don't strip Lieberman of committees they will not get another dime from me.

by bleahey 2008-11-17 01:54PM | 0 recs