Shocker! Sarah Palin Looking Ahead To 2012

Count me as someone who doesn't think Sarah Palin's statement that she wouldn't just crawl back to Alaska with her tail between her legs if she loses on Tuesday is terribly significant. Here's the transcript of the interview she conducted with ABC News:

ELIZABETH VARGAS: If it doesn't go your way on Tuesday ... 2012?

GOV SARAH PALIN: I'm just ... thinkin' that it's gonna go our way on Tuesday, November 4. I truly believe that the wisdom of ... of the people will be revealed on that day. As they enter that voting booth, they will understand the stark contrast between the two tickets. ...

VARGAS: But the point being that you haven't been so bruised by some of the double standard, the sexism on the campaign trail, to say, "I've had it. I'm going back to Alaska."

PALIN: Absolutely not. I think that, if I were to give up and wave a white flag of surrender against some of the political shots that we've taken, that ... that would ... bring this whole ... I'm not doin' this for naught.

What is a big deal, though, is the apparent glee with which Wolf Blitzer and Dana Bash report on it as though it is HUGE, which means another lost media day for McCain/Palin when they can least afford it.

Watch the Schadenfreude-inducing report below:

Gotta love Bash's description of the reaction of a senior McCain aide:

Huh.

What makes Palin's statement bigger than it otherwise might be is the extent to which it fits perfectly into the awesome new narrative that's formed about Palin the last few days: Palin as the rogue VP nominee who's preparing for 2012.

Amid reports that Sarah Palin has "gone rogue" - ignoring advisers and slamming her party's campaign tactics - some have begun to discuss her as a political contender after Nov. 4."She's no longer playing for 2008; she's playing 2012," Democratic pollster Peter Hart told CNN yesterday. [...]

But others suggest Ms. Palin is now attempting to separate herself from Mr. McCain's doomed campaign to avoid being blamed for a Republican loss next Tuesday.

"These people are going to try and shred her after the campaign to divert blame from themselves," a campaign insider told the website Politico on Saturday.

To counter that possibility, she is presenting herself to the public with an eye to her own long-term political career and a possible presidential bid in four years.

The McCain campaign has lost control of her AND their message. Not a good development for Team McCain 6 days out.

Update [2008-10-29 19:25:13 by Todd Beeton]:Ha, as if on cue, Ana Marie Cox has a first hand report of Palin going somewhat rogue during a speech she gave in Ohio today (h/t Greg Sargent):

Here, in Toledo, where she just gave a speech on energy independence, Palin's own independence took a literal turn: If there is any one place she has gone rogue, it is against her teleprompter. Visible over the shoulder of the press corps, the monitor that displayed Palin's speech shifted occasionally, as its operator struggled to pick back up after she drifted off in tangents, dropping in folksy-isms like urging some "tappin' into new ideas" and noting "special interests" -- "I've had to take on some of that," she said, "especially up there in Alaska, where they didn't want any shakin' up."

Her ad-libs are short on "g's."

Cox does give Palin the benefit of the doubt though:

Having observed the McCain campaign for almost two years, I’m inclined to believe Palin’s less-scripted moments are, in fact, less a result of active disobedience than in the governor’s own somewhat McCain-like unwillingness to stick to a script. [...]

It would probably be unfair to read too much into Palin’s freelance speech writing, though it does offer some insight into a candidate who otherwise has been hesitant to speak off the cuff.

When she went out of her way, though, to heap praise on McCain at the end of her speech, it probably was out of genuine enthusiasm. And when she changed a line from “our children” living in a “more peaceful” world to a “safer” one, maybe it was because she thinks the terms are synonymous.

Tags: Sarah Palin (all tags)

Comments

Re: Shocker! Sarah Palin Looking Ahead To 2012

Huh? Seems like a big leap in the translation happened.

Jon Swift breaks the bigger story, of the "most Pulitzer-worthy stories reported by the conservative blogosphere, in case you haven't seen it" heh:

*During Obama's dark, mysterious years at Columbia, he was involved in domestic terrorist bombings
*Obama didn't actually write Dreams of My Father. In fact, it was ghost-written by none other than Bill Ayers!
*Michelle Obama attacks "American white racists" in an interview with obscure online news site
*There is a tape of Michelle Obama with Louis Farrakhan talking about "whitey"
*Obama was not born in the United States and his birth certificate has been forged.
*Barack Obama had an underage, gay "affair" with a pedophile.
*Obama had cocaine-fueled gay sex in the back of a limousine with a not-very-attractive disabled man with a criminal background
*Obama was getting answers in the first debate through a clear plastic hearing aid in his ear

http://jonswift.blogspot.com/2008/10/gre at-moments-in-election-year-blogging.htm l

Now, I knew everyone of these already, except the last one-- I knew I shouldn't have skipped that middle debate.

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-10-29 03:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Shocker! Sarah Palin Looking Ahead To 2012

I competely down with this till I found out....THEY LEFT THE ENGINE RUNNING!

You have any idea the carbon deficit we are talking about!

by WashStateBlue 2008-10-29 03:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Shocker! Sarah Palin Looking Ahead To 2012

OK, so I didn't know he was disabled-- that's added value.

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-10-29 03:29PM | 0 recs
I wonder what the internals look like

You think Sarah goes this mutinous if there weren't numbers tell her this is all but over?

Otherwise she is cutting her throat with the folks she is going to have to be working with.

Right now, the RNC is really thinking do we try and save some of these close races by sending in Palin to rally the base, cutting off funding from McCain and throwing it to McConnel or, etc.

This is a big story here, and, for once, Wolf and the bloviaters got it right.

by WashStateBlue 2008-10-29 03:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Shocker! Sarah Palin Looking Ahead To 2012

I voted today in Coral Gables, FL. I was surrounded by Obama voters, but there were a few McPaling voters within earshot of the party we were all having - at least I think they were from the extremely depressed and frightened "Oh, Noes! Now I'm Gonna Have To Gay Marry" look on their "faces".

Until this world is officially post-partisan, I say fuck them just as hard as they've fucked the whole planet.

by QTG 2008-10-29 03:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Shocker! Sarah Palin Looking Ahead To 2012

Letting them marry gay is letting them off too easy!

It's the Ricky Santorium Treatment: They have to marry their dogs!

(or, is that just too cruel to the poor puppies?)

by WashStateBlue 2008-10-29 03:54PM | 0 recs
Todd I wonder what you would say on 5th Nov

if Barack loses?

by indydem99 2008-10-29 04:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Todd I wonder what you would say on 5th Nov

The more interesting question is, what will YOU say if that happens, Indydem?

We know how we would all feel?

Not too sure about you...

by WashStateBlue 2008-10-29 06:37PM | 0 recs
Nothing.

He (and the rest of us) would be too busy invading Washington DC.

by Sumo Vita 2008-10-29 09:37PM | 0 recs
I think everyone is crazy

Our Sarah might well be thinking about a 2012 run, but that wasn't waht she was saying here. She was saying she's in this thing to win, and she believes in her cause. Shes not campainging for shits and giggles.

by oyo 2008-10-29 05:20PM | 0 recs
Re: I think everyone is crazy

OUR Sarah?

And you think we are all crazy?

by WashStateBlue 2008-10-29 06:40PM | 0 recs
Another stalker.
Did she smile just for you on TV?
Did you sit up just a little straighter?
Did starbursts come at you through the screen, Rich?
by Sumo Vita 2008-10-29 09:35PM | 0 recs
Re: Shocker! Sarah Palin Looking Ahead To 2012

She loves her some spotlight.  How long will that "backwoods" charm last her after the 4th...and how ugly is this going to get with a real Republican civil war?

As I said elsewhere...

The Republicans are burning.  I have hotdogs.

by Hammer1001 2008-10-29 05:39PM | 0 recs
"I'm not doin' this for naught. "

Show of hands: How many here think that, by golly, Sarah's never encountered the word "naught" before?

So what she did really say?

"I'm not doing this for not..", at which point all hopes for semantic coherence were snuffed out together with the rest of the sentence.

Alternative explanations will be entertained.

by Sumo Vita 2008-10-29 09:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Shocker! Sarah Palin Looking Ahead To 2012

Is she totally delusional?  After having sunk McCain's chances in this election, she thinks it has prepared her to be the standard bearer for the rethugs next time?  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

by candideinnc 2008-10-30 03:02AM | 0 recs
Re: Shocker! Sarah Palin Looking Ahead To 2012

In Alaska, she's been pretty successful in her putsch against a group of corrupt good ole boys. She's succeeded in installing her own group of corrupt and incompetent syncophants in their place. I suppose that is reform Dick Cheney style.

The problem is that the law treats her corruption in the same way it treats Stevens, Young, et al. By 2012, she'll also have done jail time. When she gets out, maybe the Republican base will treat her the way urban gangs treat a member after their first stint in prison.

by De Re Rustica 2008-10-30 03:13AM | 0 recs