Obama Cornering Fox News

A couple weeks ago, I listed three examples of either Obama or his surrogates explicitly calling out Fox News for their blatant conservative bias. Obama himself told the New York Times that Fox's disinformation is likely costing him a couple points in the polls.

Today, Obama's campaign stepped up their pushback to Fox News: in response to McCain's latest lie about "spreading the wealth," spokesman Bill Burton called out the biased messenger right along with the dishonest message:

"This is a fake news controversy drummed up by the all too common alliance of Fox News, the Drudge Report and John McCain, who apparently decided to close out his campaign with the same false, desperate attacks that have failed for months.  In this seven year old interview, Senator Obama did not say that the courts should get into the business of redistributing wealth at all. Americans know that the real choice in this election is between four more years of Bush-McCain policies that redistribute billions to billionaires and big corporations and Barack Obama's plan to help the middle class by giving tax relief to 95% of workers and companies that create new jobs here in America.  That's the change we need, and no amount of eleventh-hour distractions from the McCain campaign will change that," said Obama-Biden campaign spokesman Bill Burton.

We've come a long way. Back in 2007, when Obama dropped out of the Fox news debate, the only reason given was that CNN seemed a more "appropriate venue."

Now that McCain's resorted exclusively to attacks on Obama, the go-to mouthpiece for Republican smears is working overtime. The more they're called out for their bias, the less credibility they'll have to push lies.

Fox isn't news. And as we (potentially) head into a new Democratic administration, it's crucial we make clear that what they broadcast can't be trusted. Great to see Obama continuing this fight.

Update [2008-10-27 18:53:4 by Josh Orton]: And here's Burton himself on Fox, standing behind his charge and slapping back Fox on their own time:

Tags: Barack Obama, Election 08 (all tags)

Comments

Re: Obama Cornering Fox News
How can any rational cable subscriber defend Fox News?  Where's the news?
On the other hand, the same can be said of MSNBC.
Does a wrong make the other right?  (Entendre is purposeful.)
by ChitownDenny 2008-10-27 02:04PM | 0 recs
Like all bullies

Faux is not used to anyone punching back.

The Obama team may be headed by the coolest guy on the block, but the other guys don't mind a good scrap....

Love em for it, I think Axelrod and Plouffe have put the fight in the old democratic dog for a change....

Reminds me of Carville, or of the old Kennedy boys.

by WashStateBlue 2008-10-27 02:06PM | 0 recs
Nice

Somebody's been eating their Wheaties.

by fwiffo3 2008-10-27 02:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Cornering Fox News

MSNBC is no better....I wactehd fro 3 horus the other night and saw nothing but 3 hours of republican bashing....it isnt right when they do it it isnt right when we do it. Neithee MSNBC or FOX is credible. I tend to stick with CNN, not perfect but a whole lot more balanced....

by adb67 2008-10-27 02:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Cornering Fox News

Nice, but Christopher Hitchens had the best response to this type of interview and it would have been great if Bill Burton had borrowed it.

At 5:40, he could have said "You should really have me on your show more often Megan, I'm always curious to hear what you think."

by Jess81 2008-10-27 03:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Cornering Fox News

Who the hell is this bitch? "Fair and balanced news" my ass.

by Steve24 2008-10-27 03:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Cornering Fox News

Burton was great.

We must continue to call out FoxNews for the Republican propaganda outfit it is.

by TomP 2008-10-27 03:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Cornering Fox News

I love Keith Olbermann.  Who cares if he isn't fair and balanced?  He doesn't claim to be!

The problem isn't that Fox is hideously slanted to the right.  The problem is that they get so angsty when anyone points out they aren't fair and balanced!

by Illustrious 2008-10-27 03:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Cornering Fox News

I'm compelled to admit I have been watching the hideous Fox lately, when I can stand it.  But it seems to me, in spite of their de rigueur partisan smearing of the Democratic platform at every conceivable opportunity, that they are stepping back from the abyss a bit in some of their commentary, excepting the likes of O'Reilly or Hannity, to be sure, as a matter of editorial policy.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed it but I'm guessing that the management at Fox has been doing a bit of crystal ball gazing lately and seen the same likely outcome that is apparent to everyone else.  Makes you wonder what they plan to do for the next four years, besides the obvious, but I'll bet they're thinking about it pretty hard.  They had better.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-10-27 05:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Cornering Fox News

The irony is - if you listen to the whole interview (WBEZ has it here - Obama was hardly arguing a socialist viewpoint.

In point of fact, the argument he was making was actually a conservative argument (i.e., a mistake of the civil rights movement was too centered in litigation and the courts).

Had this tape come up in the primaries, he would would have pilloried from the left!

by zonk 2008-10-27 05:12PM | 0 recs
FOX is bad

I dont mind a conservative slant---but deliberate lying and distortion and repeating it every minute every day.

I didnt think reasonable people believe them.

But when my really intelligent IT coworkers from a very blue state and very blue county is repeating the same FOX lies and really very scared of a Obama win and thinking Obama will be a socialist who will change life in America to akin to a Soviet state believes this---then I say something must be done with FOX.

I say we need to call their advertisers -because what they are doing is not good for America and Democracy.

Because they are putting Obama's life in danger by getting people riled up and fearful.  I blame McCain too.

This is really bad.

I hope Republican leaders, institutions,  Church should speak up about this.

Because this is really bad.

by jasmine 2008-10-27 05:21PM | 0 recs
Anyone notice

That "Megan"'s volume was turned way up compared to Bill Burton?

The rat bast*rds.

by Sumo Vita 2008-10-27 05:28PM | 0 recs
That's Why I don't Like

Fox News for their fair and balance coverage...not!

by markieparkie 2008-10-27 06:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Cornering Fox News

Sheesh, what a wench!  And people want to watch this garbage???  Can't you just tell that she's sad that her team's about to lose?!?!

by ctyankee70 2008-10-27 07:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Cornering Fox News

I just watched 20 minutes of Fox News (probably the most I've seen in one sitting).  It is an understatement to say that it is different from the other cable and broadcast networks.  I guess if you think all of the other outlets are liberal propaganda machines, then Fox would be "fair and balanced".  They are at least a half-turn to the right from everybody else.

I suppose this is also good business.  This stuff is red meat for the 25% of the population that thinks GWB has done a good job.  To me, an Obama supporter, I see unblinking acceptance of all GOP talking points, and questioning of all thing Democratic.

If Obama wins the White House, the relationship between him and Fox News just about has to be adversarial.

by flatblade 2008-10-28 05:56AM | 0 recs
Re: Obama Cornering Fox News

Humorously enough, I just read that Obama is running his half-hour commercial tomorrow on Fox, thus making them if not more fair, at least slightly more balanced.

by failsafer 2008-10-28 07:12AM | 0 recs