Republicans 4 Obama

There's been a flood of Republican endorsements of Barack Obama in recent days, the most notable of which were Colin Powell and Ken "cakewalk" Adelman, but now those have been followed in quick succession by former Bush press secretary Scott McClellan, former MA Governor William Weld, former MN Governor Arne Carlson, Barry Goldwater's granddaughter CC Goldwater and, today, perhaps most dramatically of all, Charles Fried...one of McCain's top...former...advisors.

Charles Fried, a professor at Harvard Law School, has long been one of the most important conservative thinkers in the United States. Under President Reagan, he served, with great distinction, as Solicitor General of the United States. Since then, he has been prominently associated with several Republican leaders and candidates, most recently John McCain, for whom he expressed his enthusiastic support in January.

This week, Fried announced that he has voted for Obama-Biden by absentee ballot. In his letter to Trevor Potter, the General Counsel to the McCain-Palin campaign, he asked that his name be removed from the several campaign-related committees on which he serves. In that letter, he said that chief among the reasons for his decision "is the choice of Sarah Palin at a time of deep national crisis."

We are seeing a similar phenomenon among newspaper endorsements. DemConWatch alerts us to the impending endorsement of The Hartford Courant, no liberal rag they:

The endorsement, to be printed in Sunday's newspaper and released on courant.com at 5 p.m. Saturday, cites Obama's leadership qualities, his can-do message and his calm temperament.

The Courant, the nation's oldest continuously published newspaper, endorsed Sen. Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney for the Republican nomination in this year's presidential primaries. Bill Clinton is the only Democrat whom the The Courant had previously endorsed for president, in 1992 and 1996, but the editorial board later called for Clinton's resignation after the Monica Lewinsky scandal.

With 11 days left until the election, Obama is dominating the daily newspaper endorsement race 134-52 (representing a daily circulation of 15 million vs. 4.1 million.) Notably, Obama is also dominating McCain among newspapers that endorsed the candidate of the opposite party in 2004. DemConWatch has that tally at Obama winning 29 Bush endorsers vs. McCain winning just 4 Kerry endorsers.

This trend of Republicans embracing Barack Obama fulfills one of the promises of Obama's candidacy -- that he would unite both parties, that he would draw significant cross-party support -- one that I was not convinced would come to fruition yet one that I am thrilled to see is. An added bonus is that it really undermines John McCain's claim that he has the monopoly on consensus building.

Tags: Barack Obama, Endorsements, John McCain, republicans for obama (all tags)

Comments

Re: Republicans 4 Obama

Jed and I are keeping track of Republican ship jumpers (and endorsers):

We're at 61 as of this afternoon.

by barath 2008-10-24 02:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Republicans 4 Obama

I think that is a key to the coming schism in the party, between the Mitt Romney/George Will/National Review/Country club wing and the Sarah Palin/Pat Buchannan/James Dobson/Culture Warrior wing of the party.

Pat B. and his side sees "Intellectuals" as part of the evil?

Hence, if Palin is "Not a policy wonk" so what, this is all common sense stuff anyway?
Good vs evil, black and white, us vs them, no need for nuance.

They revile smart, and celebrate dumb.

Fried is professor himself, and may rail at the "liberal lefty bent" but I'm betting he doesn't tar ALL of academia with the same scorn the Palinites do...

This is a key element of the coming war for the soul of the party, between the base, and the OLD leaders, who ran it for all the years the Palin army were only foot soldiers....

by WashStateBlue 2008-10-24 03:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Republicans 4 Obama

America is coming 'home.'

by Shaun Appleby 2008-10-24 03:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Republicans 4 Obama
These endorsements are fine,but in the grand scheme of things ,will they tip the balance one way or the other? Will they even be reported
 anywhere else except  for on the internet?
I can't even see  any  of the networks even giving  any of the endrosements a mention.
 This battle is far from over.
by Lodgemannered 2008-10-24 03:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Republicans 4 Obama

I think though it does bode well for President Obama's ability to get some of these guys on board with some of his programs, because we know where Rush and the Palin army are going to go...

He doesn't have a lot of grace, but at least these folks are perhaps looking at what is good for America enough to not be such contrarians.

Hell, with the disaster Bush, Cheney and shit-for brain punks like Phil Gramm put us in, Barack needs as much early buy-in as he can get?

by WashStateBlue 2008-10-24 03:48PM | 0 recs
Hartford Courant

Forget the Hartford Courant, even the New Haven Register endorsed Obama. This is an even more conservative paper, endorsed Bush twice, and is consistently at odds with the political reality in Connecticut, not to mention the city it supposedly serves. Joe Lieberman seems to be the paper's favorite person ever.

And worst of all (to me) back in 2004 they even allowed a nutjob's letter to be published that accused me of being an "Al-Qaida sympathizer" simply because I wrote a letter protesting the potential naming of a local highway after Bush (he was born here) and instead suggested naming the sewage treatment plant after him.

by ctman1638 2008-10-24 03:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Republicans 4 Obama

Don't forget Julie Nixon Eisenhower and Susan Eisenhower, both very early Republicans for Obama.

by LanceS 2008-10-24 04:02PM | 0 recs
he's not famous, but

a moderate Republican family friend in his 70s, who caucused for McCain in January, told me last weekend he had voted for Obama. Not that he expects good things from Obama, he just didn't want to take any chance of Palin becoming president.

by desmoinesdem 2008-10-24 04:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Republicans 4 Obama

I am a former Republican. Voted for Bush and his dad. But I also voted for Clinton the second go-around - he just proved himself to me.

I vote for the right person in spite of my ideology.

I strongly support Barack Obama.

I was voted a delegate by my new Democratic friends.

I live in Virginia.

Virginia and I will deliver this state to the next President of the United States of American, Barack Obama.

Get the Vote Out - I want a landslide!!!!

by comingawakening 2008-10-24 05:33PM | 0 recs
My Former Professor

Charles Fried served on the Massachusetts Supreme Court (its called Supreme Judicial Council if I recall correctly).  He then returned to Harvard to teach Federal Courts, one of the three or four hardest courses.

He was my professor and is a man of great intellect and character.  I actually phoned him before the Fed Courts final exam and asked him about the test.  It worked in college, but not with him.  He was so offended that I would even ask that he shamed me for the rest of my life.

His endorsement is meaningless to those who don't know him, but quite incredible to those of us who do.

by PabloZed 2008-10-24 06:53PM | 0 recs
Re: Republicans 4 Obama

This is important because I think about 20% of Republicans are decent people who put their country first, and are therefore reachable.  80% of them are jackasses.

by Bob H 2008-10-25 03:53AM | 0 recs
Where are the Dems for McCain?

Not seeing the love going to repugs.  And no, LIEberman doesn't count.

As for the meaning of endorsements, I think it doesn't mean much more than getting an idea of what kinds of people are going to Obama, not that by their endorsement, they are going to change people's minds.  But, always glad to get them.

by mydailydrunk 2008-10-25 07:54AM | 0 recs