Who's Left?

Republicans don't like people who are Arab.

Republicans don't like people who drink wine.

Republicans don't like people who eat lettuce.

Republicans don't like people who live in cities or suburbs.

Republicans don't like people who now think that the Iraq war was a mistake.

Republicans don't like people who are Hispanic or speak Spanish, unless they are pro-torture.

Republicans don't like people who are gay, unless they STFU about wanting to marry the people they love.

Republicans don't like people who organize unions or want better treatment and more protection from their employers at work.

Republicans don't like people who are professionals or college educated, unless those people pretend to be 'folksy' latte-haters.

Republicans don't like people who take the extreme position that people who are women are just as good as people who are men.

Republicans don't like people who are offended by the use of racist threats and stereotypestargeted towards people who are Black.

Who's left over after all that? Republicans, I guess. Real Americans, some Republicans might say. Other people might call them 27-37% of American adults, depending on whether you count the leaners.

Now probably a good few of the leaners don't pass the full 'real American' screen, but let's be generous, and say that Republicans like Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann would consider about 30 percent of American citizens to be real, pro-American types.

Once again, with feeling, this is "inherently ridiculous."

Tags: Republican Party (all tags)

Comments

Re: Who's Left?
I saw that Bachmann video on DKos yesterday, that was disgusting. Made me donate to someone I had never heard of before I read that diary.
It's going to take a few cycles to get rid of nutcases like her.
by skohayes 2008-10-18 02:59AM | 0 recs
Re: Who's Left?

I thought in case anyone hadn't seen this interview with Chris Matthews and Michelle Bachmann, I'd share it, it's really eye opening:

I would like to add that Elwyn Tinklenburg, running against Bachmann, has received over $100,000 in donations since this video was first posted on Huffpo and Daily Kos last night.

by skohayes 2008-10-18 04:10AM | 0 recs
I just came from ActBlue

where I donated $50 to Tinklenburg to help defeat Michelle 'Loyalty Oath' Bachman.  As you said, I never heard of Tinklenburg before either but if he has a chance to defeat Bachman, I love the guy.

by GFORD 2008-10-18 07:02AM | 0 recs
Stop making up excuses.

No one.  The racism in this election is so clear.  I'm sick and tired of the Muslim Smears, along with any other excuse people try to use for not voting for Obama.  If Obama looses the ONLY explanation is RACISM.

by nzubechukwu 2008-10-18 03:39AM | 0 recs
Re: Stop making up excuses.

Can anyone imagine how Arab-Americans felt to hear a questioner claim that Obama was an Arab, and then hear McCain denying it, in an effort to clear Obama's name or middle name. It was about as bad as the claim that Obama is a Muslim.

Xenophobia does have racism, in this case Islamophobia, as its core. All I can say is, welcome Arab-Americans to the Democratic party, if you were not already with us.

by shyboy 2008-10-18 05:14AM | 0 recs
Re: Stop making up excuses.

It goes beyond racism.  It's the villification of anyone who isn't "just like me".  Black people, Muslims, atheists, liberals and educated people are all tossed into the un-patriotic cauldron.

When it gets to the point that Republican candidates have to continually reference the one or two moderate people left in the party to prove they aren't all far right lunatics (as they point out "my one black friend" to prove they aren't racists) the party is doomed.

by GFORD 2008-10-18 07:14AM | 0 recs
Re: Who's Left?

They don't like people who are poor, most importantly.

by Bob H 2008-10-18 03:46AM | 0 recs
Re: Who's Left?

Bob,

You are so mistaken it is laughable. They LOVE the poor. Without the poor they wouldn't have anyone to point the finger at while they rob you blind!
  i.e. "You think we swindled billions from you in the housing scandal? Hey look, there is a poor person with no political clout, it's their fault. Blame them so I can get back to swindling you!"

Take care,
Alec

by alectimmerman 2008-10-18 07:01AM | 0 recs
No, only CERTAIN poor people...

White poor people are the salt of the earth.

People of Color who are poor are some things else....

by WashStateBlue 2008-10-18 07:24AM | 0 recs
: Who's Left?

Repuglican don't like dissenting Repuglican "intellectuals".

by eddieb 2008-10-18 03:52AM | 0 recs
Ignorance

Those people really bother me. They don't get to decide. I tell them I could be a DAR. They can argue with my politics, but they can't argue with my roots.

by misscee 2008-10-18 03:57AM | 0 recs
Re: Who's Left?

republicans like people who are stupid enough and willing to say they are republicans.

Turns out "Joe the Plumber" is not the prototypical American, he's the prototypical republican:

Obama's proposed tax cuts will SAVE him money, mccain's won't, but he plans on voting for mccain...why? because he hates himself...ergo a prototypical republican.

perhaps the most amazing thing about the nasty dolt reagan was that he got so very many "Joe the Plaumber" rubes to gleefully vote AGAINST THEIR OWN INTERESTS.

Besides the universal republican immature need to always create boogeymen, being stupid enough to vote against yourself is what characterizes any republican that isn't exceptionally wealthy.

by gak 2008-10-18 05:20AM | 0 recs
What if McCain was the Dem nominee?

What kind of Ads and robocalls do you think will GOP have on McCain.

What kind of 24 hr FOX commentary will he receive?

I bet GOP ads and robocalls will portray McCain as a traitor, Saddam Hussein links,  Alaska  seccessionist,  hot headed and dangerous,  Keating 5,  etc.

That is how bad GOP is ----they are really really so bad.

Democrats dont do that!