4 More Years

In the post-debate commentary last night, literally the best thing that could be said about McCain's performance was his one-liner about Bush: "If you wanted to run against President Bush, you should have run 4 years ago." It was a good line but the enthusiasm it elicited from the right seemed a bit disproportionate to me, but I guess that's what you get when your candidate has exactly one good line in 90 minutes. But considering Team McCain clearly hoped the line would put President Bush behind McCain, the Obama campaign is making that more difficult in its obligatory morning after ad. In it, McCain's line "I'm not George Bush" is juxtaposed with previous statements from McCain that belie it, specifically his own assertion that he's voted with the president more than 90% of the time. The ad will run on national cable.

McCain for his part continues to try to distance himself from the Bush years by opening his new ad with what is perhaps the understatement of the century: "The last eight years haven't worked very well, have they?" This is McCain's feel your pain moment but it falls flat on so many levels.

It's amazing to me that McCain won't more overtly throw Bush under the bus in an ad. It would be easy enough to do, there are enough issues on which McCain has bucked Bush, but here again, McCain only takes half measures that don't come close to countering the effective Obama messaging that McCain = 4 more years.

Tags: Barack Obama, George W Bush, John McCain (all tags)

Comments

Re: 4 More Years

How can McCain tell Obama he should have run four years ago at the same time he's saying Obama isn't experienced enough to be president?

by BRoss 2008-10-16 06:51AM | 0 recs
Bus....

It's odd - especially given the fact that the republicans are so desperate not to lose any more congressional seats this fall.

I'm would be surprised if Bush doesn't call McCain to demand that he throw him under a bus!

by NoThirdBushTerm 2008-10-16 06:54AM | 0 recs
Re: 4 More Years

Bush hasn't gone below 20% yet in approvals, meaning 20% of this country LIKES him.

and they aint voting for Obama, McCain can't just throw the president under the bus and hope that these 20% will understand.

by TruthMatters 2008-10-16 06:55AM | 0 recs
Re: 4 More Years
I have Bush at 14% (October 2008) and now that's his nickname. Mr. 14%.
Can you think of any President more disgusting than this guy. Even Nixon acted somewhat Presidential (we didn't find out until years later that he cussed like a sailor). Clinton acted out his sexual fantasies in the privacy of his bedroom(s). But Bush has to take the prize as a non-Presidential acting scumbag. The Oliver Stone movie which starts this week would be a major embarrassment to any President. But you know what, I think that privately Bush is proud of his life -- after all, not one of his daddies rich friends has ever been President and NO ONE in the entire world has his notoriety.  Its just a shame those that have continually pointed out that he is the worst President in history have to put up with him for four more months. I hope Stones new movie about him is a disaster--why glorify this guy anymore than we need to even in a negative way.
by hddun2008 2008-10-16 08:52AM | 0 recs
Re: 4 More Years

That Obama ad is hilarious.

by NJIndependent 2008-10-16 07:10AM | 0 recs
Old, old, old?

I can't get over how very old McCain looks in that ad.  I'm not even mocking at this point - he looks like a great-grandfather here.  He's no spring chicken, but I've never seen him look so... well, ancient.  I felt kinda sorry for the old man in the ad.

by January 20 2008-10-16 07:19AM | 0 recs
Re: 4 More Years

I have noted before McCain was royally screwed by Karl Rove and the Bushies in 2000 primaries when they said that McCain had a black love child. Had he had some personal integrity (which he does not), he would have changed to a Democrat and HE could have run against Bush in 2004--he would probably have beaten Bush handily and now he would be President. Instead he is now running a big loser of a campaign against a 1st term black Senator. I think that's what really galls McCain--his chance to be President and he is stuck with it.

Read today's Rolling Stone Magazine Story on McCain--some of the stuff in there will knock you over--he is really a big phony in many ways according to the writer.

by hddun2008 2008-10-16 08:27AM | 0 recs
Re: 4 More Years
WOW what an ad.He can REALLY do all those things?
Amazing.
 "I backed the government who screwEd this country into the ground ,90% of the time, but now I'll tell you all how to undo that damage"
GET OFF OF MY LAWN MCCAIN. GO ON BEAT IT.
by Lodgemannered 2008-10-16 08:30AM | 0 recs
Re: 4 More Years

He almost makes our argument for us, doesn't he? If you were a struggling middle class american wouldn't you have felt left out of that add? He never mentioned Middle class once. Doesn't spreading the wealth around sound pretty good to the average working siff. This add reflects the mindset of the people who surround McInsain. They really don't relate to the vast majority of voters.

by eddieb 2008-10-16 08:40AM | 0 recs
Re: 4 More Years

The McCain ad makes me think he'd be good on a kids, show, a Mr Roberts type guy

by NY Writer 2008-10-16 08:56AM | 0 recs
Re: 4 More Years

You mean Mr Rogers? "it's a wonderful day in the neighborhood" guy?  I think McCain looks to predatory for kids.Kind of pervy and creepy.

by Lodgemannered 2008-10-16 09:07AM | 0 recs
Re: 4 More Years

I think the most impressive difference between the two last night was awareness. The split screen showed McCain as someone who wasn't aware that people were watching him. Everytime Obama made a lengthy statement he looked squarely in to the camera showing his awareness that people were watching him. I think we are seeing a politician that's "over the hill". McCain's time has come and went and he's having a tough time accepting it.

by fillphil 2008-10-16 09:08AM | 0 recs
Re: 4 More Years

I still contend that George Bush is going back to Crawford, pour a big swig of Jack, put his boots up on his desk and laugh his ass off. You may not think he's been successful but the "Big Boys" who got him elected think he delivered the goods. Follow the money. His Term has produced the biggest money scam in our history. The Rich wanted to be richer and they are. That's all Geo Bush was expected to do and he delivered. He didn't fail-We did!

by fillphil 2008-10-16 09:18AM | 0 recs
Re: 4 More Years

First two points of his plan:

Rebuild your savings
Grow your investments

How is that a "plan"?  He actually puts his name on this?

by Jack1982 2008-10-16 09:58AM | 0 recs