MN-Sen: Lieberman Defends Coleman

Oh, to be in the room when Schumer heard about this. From The Hill:

Lieberman, the 2000 Democratic vice presidential nominee who caucuses with Democrats and gives them their two-seat Senate majority, disputes partisan attacks that Coleman conducted inadequate oversight of the Iraq war as the top Republican on the Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations (PSI).

"Any suggestion Sen. Coleman stymied Democrats' investigations into Iraq-related matters is unfair and unfounded," Lieberman wrote this weekend in an op-ed in the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

Joe better savor every last ounce of this garbage now, because after the election he'll likely have the less political capital than he's had in decades. I know some wanted a more immediate ousting from Democratic leaders, but I actually prefer things this way. Joe's advocacy isn't going to help Republican in any measurable way (McCain least of all). Instead, he'll just dig himself into a deeper hole.

It's crucial we elect as many Democratic Senators as possible - let's do everything we can to get to a caucus of 60...WITHOUT counting Lieberman.

Toss Franken (or any of our Road to 60 candidates) $25 bucks now. Our donations still matter - the more we give, the less power Lieberman will have come November 5th.

Tags: Election 08, MN-Sen, Road to 60 (all tags)

Comments

Bwa ha ha

Vengence is mine!  I beat you by a full day

Anyway, Joe Lieberman desperately wants to prevent us from getting 60 without him.  I don't necessarally think that we will get there, but unless we get 59 without him, he can say goodbye to his committees.

I honestly think that his only potential future in government is for a cabinet position in a McCain presidency.

by Dracomicron 2008-10-14 01:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Bwa ha ha

Obama and Reid should make Lieberman an offer he can't refuse.

He can either be ambassador to Canada (or some other country that's important, but where he can't do much harm) or he can get his committee assignments from the Republicans.

Will someone like Chris Shays get appointed to the U.S. Senate? Yeah, but Shays (or another moderate Republican) will see the handwriting on the wall and realize that if he's gonna get re-elected he has to be a bi-partisan Republican.

If Lieberman is left in the Senate I think he's made it clear he's going to fuck with the Democrats as much as he possibly can.

by Carl Nyberg 2008-10-14 03:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Bwa ha ha

There's a strong part of me that would prefer to see us sitting at 57 + Bernie Sanders rather than sitting at 58 + Bernie Sanders. Specifically because, with 59 seats, I suspect Reid will continue pandering to Lieberman.

by Justin Alexander 2008-10-14 10:33PM | 0 recs
by Turkana 2008-10-14 01:28PM | 0 recs
Re: MN-Sen: Lieberman Defends Coleman
I dropped money in the kitty for Noriega, Franken and Betsy Marky.
I can't wait until Lieberman runs again, I may go broke contributing to his opponent.
by skohayes 2008-10-14 01:30PM | 0 recs
Basic Self Interest

and also, he is groveling to show his allegance to his new party.

Joe will switch, and become a full fledged Repub is my take, sometime next year.

My other take is, he doesn't even try to run for re-election, he knows he is going to get walloped.

He's going to ride this out, then go to work for AEI or APIC in 4 years....

by WashStateBlue 2008-10-14 01:39PM | 0 recs
I will piss on his grave

He has become the most despicable ^^$%#######^%$^%$$%$#@@@##%$ in America today. Even without the 60 kick his ass out. Who needs him? Lying chickenshit.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

by meddembob 2008-10-14 01:49PM | 0 recs
Re: MN-Sen: Lieberman Defends Coleman

Which of these Senate candidtes need it the most? Anyone know? I want to allocate my money in the most efficient way.

by fugazi 2008-10-14 03:53PM | 0 recs
Jim Martin of GA

Is polling strongly (even) and severely underfunded.

Rick Noriega of Texas is down in the polls and underfunded, but might be in striking distance in a tidal wave year.

by Carl Nyberg 2008-10-14 05:52PM | 0 recs
Re: Jim Martin of GA

Thanks Carl. That's helpful.

by fugazi 2008-10-15 06:48AM | 0 recs
Re: MN-Sen: Lieberman Defends Coleman

Lets see

November 5, Reid tells Lieberman that he's toast and they refuse to seat him with the Democrats

The GOP is going to let a socially very liberal Senator with seniority rights sit with them

Especially when he has helped doom the GOP  presidential ticket

Especially when the very candidates he campaigned against as an Independent Democrat are going to literally tell the Senate Democratic Leadership that this guy cost them money votes and without him they would have been up by 5 points or more and that they intend to block any legisation or amendments with Lieberman's name on it

I've had suicidal mentally deranged clients (I'am a crimianl defense attorney) with a better sesne of rational behavior than this guy

by kmwray 2008-10-14 03:53PM | 0 recs
Managers of Democratic Party like Lieberman

> November 5, Reid tells Lieberman that he's
> toast and they refuse to seat him with the
> Democrats

One more time:  the managers and power brokers of the Democratic Party like Lieberman.  And they like the way Lieberman defeated his groundling critics in 2006.  They won't punish him because (a) he is their friend (b) they don't think he has done anything wrong.

sPh

by sphealey 2008-10-15 03:38AM | 0 recs
Yes, but he stabbed Obama in the back

Reid (or whomever runs the Senate after all these progressives win seats) is going to have to ask himself whether remaining on a President Obama's good side is worth his "friendship" with Joe Lieberman.

Obama took a risk defending Joe in 2006 and got, essentially, betrayed for his good faith.  I don't think that Obama is the sort to hold grudges, but he's also not going to give the guy a shot at his back again.

by Dracomicron 2008-10-15 06:09AM | 0 recs
Who does he think he is?

posing as human
tongue thrusting, buttocks clenching
an election whore

my sad sad attempt at haiku, but will someone please , please, please put us out of our misery by electing someone else.

by mydailydrunk 2008-10-14 08:49PM | 0 recs