Biden: We'll win West Virginia

Yes. We. Can.

From the Charleston Gazette:

At a rally a few miles from the West Virginia border on Tuesday, Democratic vice presidential candidate Sen. Joe Biden predicted he and Sen. Barack Obama would win West Virginia in the Nov. 4 presidential election.

According to NBC's Mike Memoli, Biden asked the crowd in St. Clairsville, Ohio, "Which way is West-By-God-Virginia?" He then said, "I want to send a message to West Virginia -- we're going to win in West Virginia! ... We're going to shock the living devil out of y'all!"

Let's win to send a message that Hope triumphs over Hate.

The Hate Talk Express was going to come through West Virginia.

Instead it turned into Sarah Palin's Blow Off West Virginia Tour.

At a rally last weekend, a group of West Virginians took the front row at a Portsmouth, Ohio rally, across the Ohio River from West Virginia.

The story going around here is they shouted, "Come to West Virginia."

Obama called back, "I'll be there soon."

You know what, we're looking at a landslide of historic proportions.

Obama doesn't need West Virginia's five electoral votes.

But you can tell from Joe Biden's statement, his throwing down of the gauntlet, that Obama and Biden WANT them.

You want to send a message to the country that a new day has dawned in America, you win West By God Virginia.

This is a Democratic state. The governor, four of the five Congressional caucus, the attorney general, the treasurer, the agricultural secretary, the assessor, four of the five Supreme Court justices and soon to be the secretary of state.

Dems out number Reps by nearly a 2 to 1 margin. Sure many of them are conservative Democrats. But we are the party of the Big Tent. Not the Rs, who have issued a fatwa on Christopher Buckley.

West Virginia went Democratic when many other states voted for the Republicans. Al Gore took the state for granted and we all paid a price. In 2004, with so many of our young men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan, I heard over and over canvassing that people didn't want to change leaders in the middle of a war.

I told them they were wrong, that we needed to. But we lost.

This is an opportunity to return one of the most Democratic loyal states back into the blue column. Sure there's some racism here - just as there is in EVERY OTHER state. But I've canvassed numerous African Americans here who voted for Hillary Clinton in the primary. What are we to make of them since the primary vote is what caused so many to label the state as racist?

People will inevitably say, Obama is better off spending his resources elsewhere.

Here's what they don't understand. Many of those surrounding states that are battleground states are filled with expatriate West Virginians. Their roots, their kin, are in West Virginia. If Obama and Biden win them over, their grandmammas and grandpappys are going to be telling them to vote for Barack Obama.

We heard over and over again that Appalachians were not ready to vote for a black candidate. What a load of bullshit!

In the worst case scenario based off the polls, we are in tossup status. ARG's poll, the latest, showed Obama up by 8 POINTS. ARG is often disparaged for being a bad pollster. I looked it up today. ARG often was off from 3 to 5 points in Kerry's favor in many states. 3 to 5 points consistently off. Do the math! Hell, say they were 8 points off. Hell, say they were 11 points off.

That's tossup.

We were told over and over by the Republicans McCain would win this state by 20 points.

They swore it'd be a landslide for McCain.

This is the time, this is the state to break the backs of the rightwing movement.

I'm just a small state blogger and a foot soldier who canvasses and tells funny stories.

But I know this: When we were told this state could not be won, I had faith in my fellow West Virginians.

When we were told by 538 that the odds were 89 percent of a McCain win, I said, "Never tell me the odds."

When we were told by the state GOP McCain would bury us, I remembered what my old football coach used to say.

And he'd say, win or lose, I don't care as long as you're leaving it all on the field.

With the coordinated Campaign for Change we are leaving it all on the field.

I know how we lost in landslides in 2004 presidential and congressional and 2006 congressional.

But my coach had another thing he'd tell his undersized players every Friday night on our way to a 9-1 season (F Oak Hill High School - yes I hold grudges).

He'd say, "Boys it's not the size of the dogs in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dogs."

West Virginian's Campaign for Change is bringing it.

Hillary Clinton brought it.

Joe Biden is bringing it.

And Barack Obama is bringing it.

Let's go win this state.

Update

Tags: Barack Obama, joe biden, John McCain, West Virginia (all tags)

Comments

Fired up!

Ready to go.

by Carnacki 2008-10-14 06:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Biden: We'll win West Virginia

Holy shit. What do they see that makes them ready to make a push there?

by RandyMI 2008-10-14 06:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Biden: We'll win West Virginia

Win or lose its important for the first Black president to be open arms to those who like him least.

Its a legacy thing and it helps outside of WV.

And if he wins WV you gotta admit he has the magic touch.

by dtaylor2 2008-10-14 06:26PM | 0 recs
why else does he show up in Central PA?

drives the secret service crazy, ya know.

Black candidate showin up to the home of the KKK (we do have Democrats there, and they could use the love).

West Virginia, like the rest of the mountains, doesn't exactly cotton to the rich folk, either, whatever they think of black folk.

by RisingTide 2008-10-15 05:31AM | 0 recs
2nd highest poverty rate in the nation?

i imagine the culture war seems much less important when your livelihood is at stake and the Republicans are destroying the landscape.

by chiefscribe 2008-10-14 06:59PM | 0 recs

As of 10/9, polling looks pretty good:

http://www.motleymoose.com/showDiary.do? diaryId=369

I suspect their internals are encouraging.

by fogiv 2008-10-14 08:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Biden: We'll win West Virginia

While I like the sentiment of the statement I still only have one real response to that...

What??!

by JDF 2008-10-14 06:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Biden: We'll win West Virginia

THE INTERNAL POLLING MUST BE PROMISING!!

by nzubechukwu 2008-10-14 06:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Biden: We'll win West Virginia

Dispatch Hillary and Bill to WV to campaign for Obama!

by Steve24 2008-10-14 06:44PM | 0 recs
they've already been there

... but by all means, send 'em back!

The clintons know how to do a good ol' fashioned barnstormin'

by RisingTide 2008-10-15 05:32AM | 0 recs

Almost heaven, west virginia
Blue ridge mountains
Shenandoah river -
Life is old there
Older than the trees
Younger than the mountains
Growin like a breeze

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads

by dannybauder 2008-10-14 07:15PM | 0 recs
Ummm...

Hey Joe, I love ya...but you might want to cool it with the constant references to the devil.

Evangelicals believe the devil (AKA Satan) is pulling the strings in our modern world.

Serious!

Otherwise, you're doing fan-freakin-tastic.

by Scan 2008-10-14 07:23PM | 0 recs
some conservative evangelicals...

I doubt rev. wright would say the same ;-)

by RisingTide 2008-10-15 05:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Biden: We'll win West Virginia

I'll have something to say about this after the election.

by QTG 2008-10-14 07:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Biden: We'll win West Virginia

I remember hearing that Kennedy came to WV during the 1960s primaries looking to prove that he, as a Catholic, could win in a state with one of the highest proportions of Protestants in the country.  It was assumed that there was widespread suspicion towards a Roman Catholic here, and Kennedy proved otherwise.

Many assumed similar things in respect to race during this years primaries, but it looks like Obama wants to also prove the opposite...

by T Law 2008-10-14 08:08PM | 0 recs
it's just as much old versus young

as it is white folks who've never met a black man.

The world grows smaller, and more connected, by the day. People find the idea of a stranger just... less scary.

by RisingTide 2008-10-15 05:34AM | 0 recs
If it keeps going like this

McCain is going to be running around like Jason Statham in "Crank" searching for votes.

This is getting good.

by mydailydrunk 2008-10-14 08:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Biden: We'll win West Virginia

If Obama spends a day in West Virginia - say, stops in Huntington, Charleston, and Morgantown - the state will tip.

by KTinOhio 2008-10-14 08:12PM | 0 recs
I won't lie. I'm in SHOCK about WV

I just never thought it could be a POSSIBILITY. I'm in total shock.

by rikyrah 2008-10-14 08:58PM | 0 recs
Re: I won't lie. I'm in SHOCK about WV

You know the sweetest words in the English language are not "I love you." They're "I told ya so!"

by Carnacki 2008-10-15 04:22AM | 0 recs
I'm pullin' for you guys...

(and trying to recruit volunteers, though I've no idea if pittsburgh is actually sending anyone down to give you guys some love. )

by RisingTide 2008-10-15 05:36AM | 0 recs
I'm waitin to read what Nate's got to say

about WV -- it has really wacky demographics. I too am in shock, but it's more of that "please, let it be so" kinda shock.

by RisingTide 2008-10-15 05:37AM | 0 recs
Re: Biden: We'll win West Virginia

Just another step in the quest to reunite the Union States again.

by MNPundit 2008-10-14 09:45PM | 0 recs
Re: Biden: We'll win West Virginia

He can.  But Obama has to visit West Virginia.  They might be willing, but he has to ask.

by Drummond 2008-10-14 10:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Biden: We'll win West Virginia

Interesting comment, but I'm not sure they'll follow through with a visit. My guess is they'll at least wait to see whether McCain can close the gap somewhat after the debate. There would, after all, be hell to pay if Obama spent time in WV and then went on to lose the election by a hairsbreadth in Colorado.

To me a pre-election visit to West Virginia would  indicate that the Obama team thinks it's over as a contest and have moved on to trying to run up the score. I don't think they'll do that unless they're at least 99% confident of victory.

by al1 2008-10-14 11:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Biden: We'll win West Virginia

http://FiveThirtyEight.com has the odds now at 46% of an Obama/Biden win, so I wouldn't be so down on the earlier 11% chance. The economy has changed things since that 11% chance was calculated.

by TheWinch 2008-10-15 12:49AM | 0 recs
Democrats are coming home.

It's no surprise that the older folks wanted to see how Obama performed in the debates -- that may be where they get their first look at the candidates "unfiltered" like.

by RisingTide 2008-10-15 05:44AM | 0 recs
Re: Biden: We'll win West Virginia

Unless something changes in the next two weeks, five days, we may very well be hearing things like, "This is the first time Indiana and North Dakota have gone Democratic since 1964," and "West Virginia had previously not voted for a Democrat since 1996, but they have now voted for Obama."  This is going to be fun!

But, if Obama does visit West Virginia, I also want him to visit my state (Georgia).  Let's really contest these emerging battlegrounds.

by TheUnknown285 2008-10-15 03:48AM | 0 recs
maybe he should have traveled a few miles

to speak to West Virginia in person instead of sending them a message.  Sheesh.

by Thaddeus 2008-10-15 06:16AM | 0 recs
Re: A no-downside two-fer!

It would be so easy to schedule a no-downside tour of WVa. If nothing happens in WVa, it's nothing wasted because you've been getting a barrel of free media spilling into the battleground state of Ohio.

Wheeling, Parkersburg, and Huntington all look across the river at southeast Ohio. Their TV stations send the local news into Ohio homes. So any campaign stops in these places would be a two-fer.

I wonder if the scheduling decisions, and even media buying decisions, are sometimes made by professional operatives whose entire experience is with statewide elections. (Er, and some commentors on the blogs, likewise.) It often seems like their minds come to a complete stop at the state borders. Maybe they use an atlas of the states that is blank outside each state's borders? They don't seem to get it that a national candidate can appeal across a state line, and that a TV signal can sail across a river and 50 miles beyond. It's a frustrating deficiency to see opportunities wasted in an election like this one.

South Carolina is a longer shot, but another two-fer. TV ads running in Charlotte, Asheville, Augusta, and Savannah cover half the counties of SC. The remaining markets in SC -- Columbia and Charleston -- are small and cheap, so Obama could contest this state, too, during October, for total cost of about $1 million.

The sixth largest city in North Carolina is a bedroom suburb of Charlotte, NC. How many times has Obama been to Charlotte? How many times to SC since the primary? Of course, if he went to the SC-side suburb, the Charlotte TV stations would still give heavy coverage to his visit. And if he appeared at a suburb in SC, would folks talk about it at the office in NC the next day? Even if nothing happened in SC from the visit, he'd help his efforts in NC by going to SC. And if he made a campaign stop in SC, they'd talk about it all over the state, and probably all across the South.

by Woody 2008-10-15 08:41AM | 0 recs
The Power of Ted (and Joe and Jay and Bobby?)

Interesting article (The Power of Ted) by Howard Wilkinson in Politics Extra on cincinnati.com today regarding Obama's successful swing through southern Ohio last week.  It seems popular Gov. Ted Strickland had a hand in making that happen.

Perhaps Joe Manchin and Jay Rockefeller and Robert Byrd need to step forward with personal requests and pledges to be there with Obama on campaign stops to put WV in the Dem. column.  Such a visit could also help in the race to unseat Shelly Moore Caputo in Congress.

by susie 2008-10-15 10:28AM | 0 recs
Re: The Power of Ted (and Joe and Jay and Bobby?)

Gov. Manchin and others are doing that this weekend in southern wv. I'm going along to chronicle it.

by Carnacki 2008-10-15 11:37AM | 0 recs