Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

Really?

From TPM:

Obama's national campaign co-chair, Jesse Jackson, Jr., just went on MSNBC and appeared to question Hillary's tears, which he called "tears that melted the Granite State," adding that those tears "moved voters."

Most ridiculous passage from Jackson's comments:

Not in response to Katrina, not in response to other issues that have devastated the American people...the war in Iraq, we saw tears in response to her appearance. Her appearance brought her to tears but not Hurricane Katrina.

What he's referring to here is the question that led in to her emotional response on Monday, as related by First Read:

64-year-old Marianne Pernold-Young, of Portsmouth, asked the senator how she got out of the house in the morning and who did her hair.

Clinton joked about having help with her hair and then began to get choked up and teary-eyed.

Watch it:

Which begs the question, is Obama trying to lose? As I've documented, Obama's bounce had already begun fading before Clinton's emotional moment blanketed airwaves on every newscast Monday night, so Jackson and the entire Obama crew might be better advised to look inward as to what Obama himself did or didn't do over the weekend to cause New Hampshire voters in droves to shift from Obama back to Clinton. Sure, no doubt Clinton did something right, at the debate in particular, but Obama I think made two mistakes that night: his "you're likeable enough, Hillary" line was delivered in unusually mean-spirited way and, as I noted in the debate live thread, Obama jumped on defense when Hillary attacked instead of turning it around on her allowing her to dictate the terms of the debate and to come off as the more presidential of the two.

Now, if you want to criticize her for the tears, that's fine, I don't think it's off limits, but framing her emotional reaction as evidence that Clinton's priorities are out of whack doesn't ring true at all. As a post-election loss message strategy, I have to say, I don't know what Jackson and the Obama folks are thinking today.

Update [2008-1-9 18:57:58 by Todd Beeton]:The more I think about this, the more I get what's at work here. They know exactly what they're doing. Notice the repeated reference to Hurricane Katrina. He's using some odious dog-whistle politics here, trying to send the message to African Americans (in other words: South Carolina) that, to borrow a phrase, Hillary Clinton doesn't care about black people. Yeah, good luck with that. [editor's note, by Todd Beeton]Changed title to reflect this update.

Tags: 2008 Presidential election, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, New Hampshire primary (all tags)

Comments

now that's a dumb surrogate

Will Obama go on tv and defend him like he defended Axelrod's stupid comments about the Bhutto assassination?

by desmoinesdem 2008-01-09 01:50PM | 0 recs
Re: now that's a dumb surrogate

And Michael Eric Dyson just called the Clinton's racist on MSNBC

He implies it throughout his segment but then his last words are, paraphrased "fairy tale, roll the dice,take a risk. These are code words African Americans are used to hearing that tell them someone's not ready to step up."

Whatever happend to leadership starts from the top?

by world dictator 2008-01-09 02:56PM | 0 recs
Thanks, Todd.

Seriously, Jesse Jackson, Jr., is NOT helping Obama by acting like a sore loser here. So Hillary's priorities are "out of whack" because she was becoming emotional in talking about the state of our nation? What Jackson said today was classless. Obama should not stand by that statement.

by atdleft 2008-01-09 01:52PM | 0 recs
particularly since

the exit poll from NH showed Obama way behind Edwards and Clinton on the question of which candidate best understands the concerns of "people like me."

by desmoinesdem 2008-01-09 02:01PM | 0 recs
his momma is gonna whip him when he gets home.

"Jacqueline Jackson, wife of Rev. Jesse Jackson, endorses HRC and tapes a South Carolina radio ad on her behalf. The Rev. himself is supporting, somewhat tepidly, Barack Obama."

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/arch ives/2008/01/_barack_obama_joins.php

by campskunk 2008-01-09 01:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's National Campaign Co-Chair Slams Clint

Just like Hillary's campaign seemed to be bumbling and stumbling for a few days after Iowa, it looks like Obama is reeling a bit when he really has no reason not to just dust himself off and move on to the next state.

If you watch the video, not only does he specifically say this is something they're talking about "within the campaign," but he goes through the argument in a very methodical way, bringing up Katrina not once but twice.  This is not a guy sharing a random thought, this is a guy present the talking points, which were ill-conceived to say the least.

And when you bring up specifically Katrina, when you make the argument not once but twice that she didn't cry over Katrina... I hope we're all honest enough to admit that that's playing the race card.  I wish they hadn't gone there.  There's absolutely no reason for it.

On to the next state.  The Obama campaign has been a smooth operation and there's no need for it to run off the rails based on one setback.

by Steve M 2008-01-09 01:56PM | 0 recs
What Jackson says

Isn't anything new.  People have been saying the same thing for the past few days.  The problem is that Jackson said it White People.  I had to put my own post on this...so there's more my blog on this subject.

I do find it funny that I posted my and I'm just now reading the comments.  Seems like my entry is spot on so far.

by fabooj 2008-01-09 07:47PM | 0 recs
Re: What Jackson says

I hear lots of offensive crap about all the candidates from my friends.  That doesn't make it ok for campaign officials to go on TV and say those things.  The problem is not that he said it to white people, the problem is that he said it on TV as an official representative of the Obama campaign.

I'm sure there are some black people who think it's just awesome to suggest that Hillary doesn't care about Katrina victims, and I'm sure there are some who think it's completely offensive.  That's fine.  But Obama is not going to win the nomination by throwing red meat to the Hillary-haters and alienating everyone else.  There aren't enough haters in the Democratic primary to pull that one off.

by Steve M 2008-01-09 08:53PM | 0 recs
Need for the Bread and Butter

The utter media elation around the vauge theme of "change" caused Obama to seriously procrastinate developing a more solid "bread and butter" approach which he is going to need to win. Hillary started on the populist theme the day before the vote. A bit tepid, more Al Gore 2000 than Jon Edwards but it did the trick. Obama is going to need "It's the economy stupid" tatooed on his hand if he want to pull this off.

by alexmhogan 2008-01-09 01:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

everytime i get asked about my hair i have to sob, but it does get me sympathy

by leewesley 2008-01-09 02:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

She was NOT asked about her hair. My god...some people will just buy into any talking point without watching something first. The woman asked her how she did it and Clinton started to answer when smeone mumbles, "who does your hair?" from the back. The question was about how she stays upbeat in the face of what she is doing.

Here is a video including the entire question...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl-W3IXRT HU

by americanincanada 2008-01-09 02:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

Watched the video and you are correct. Funny thing is that this ABC news report says the woman asked about her hair -- but didn't give the quote. It also interviews her (she voted for Obama). An interesting read, anyway. Hillary doesn't come out of it looking that great.

Here's the link:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2 008/story?id=4109322&page=1

I for one have not ruled out that this, and the 'iron my shirts' incident were staged and part of a 'dramaturgy' to portray Clinton as a victim. I have seen such ploys used very effectively in elections in  other countries. Not saying I think this is the case, just that I haven't ruled it out.

That said, it doesn't help Obama to keep this alive at this point. Makes him look petty (which, if this was staged dramaturgy, makes such a ploy all the more effective -- if pulled off properly).

He needs to dust himself off and move on to NEV and SC. A mistake like this can be very costly at this stage.

Let's see how he handles it.

by The Exile 2008-01-09 02:50PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

Who gives a shit if she voted for Obama?  That shows everything that is wrong with the media.

by masslib1 2008-01-09 09:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

i trusted the nytimes (definitely should have known better)

it was clearly staged, not that i have a problem with that tactic necessarily, i mean its politics...

im more making fun of the media narrative which is truly maddening

by leewesley 2008-01-09 03:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

It seems pretty clear to me that Obama's "you're likeable enough" statement to Hillary was meant to be a joke. I did not think it was mean spirited. I think Obama was trying to indicate through his sarcasm that likeability is not a central issue in this campaign, at least to him.

Has he taken other missteps? I think so, but I would not use that statement as evidence of such missteps.

by lalawguy 2008-01-09 02:07PM | 0 recs
Think kindergarten

Clinton was trying to show Obama has had ambitions since Harvard and the kindergarten line was a throw away joke.  She took a pounding for it.

Welcome to the big leagues Barry.

by dpANDREWS 2008-01-09 02:14PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

I agree it was meant as a joke, but it was tone deaf.  A gentleman does not joke about a lady's likeability in public.

by Trickster 2008-01-09 02:17PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

He's looking down the entire time he says it.  He knows he's being Mr. Smarty Pants.

by krj47 2008-01-09 02:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

At the time, I thought it was because he was writing something as he was saying it.

by OrangeFur 2008-01-09 03:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

I didn't strike me as a joke. He kept his head down. By not looking at her, with a grin on his face, he came across as dismissive and mean.  No sunny personality there.

His body language was NOT engaged in a joke...it was displaying putdown.  In the clip I saw, I didn't hear much laughter either from the audience.

by Gloria 2008-01-09 03:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

Jesse Jackson, Jr. sounds absolutely correct to me.

by Namtrix 2008-01-09 02:09PM | 0 recs
Two messages

One, the race card, i.e. Katrina.

Two, the male vote, she "cried."   Of course she didn't cry .. look at the video.  Not a tear dropped.

Obama is going to get sleazy here with his back against the wall and his "run the board" strategy failed.  Feb 5 looms and Obama can see it looming.

It isn't going to work.

If Obama isn't "different" he is done.

If Obama becomes a race pol he is done.   Name a pol that has run on race and won.

by dpANDREWS 2008-01-09 02:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Two messages

Ronald Reagan?

by Steve M 2008-01-09 02:14PM | 0 recs
Barry isn't as good a pure pol as Ray-Gun

by dpANDREWS 2008-01-09 02:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Barry isn't as good a pure pol as Ray-Gun

Okay. I m glad you cocky clintonites are back. I was begining to sympathesize with her.

by bruh21 2008-01-09 02:28PM | 0 recs
it's funny

I have started to like Clinton better the last month or so. Is it because areyouready/prisonbreak stopped hijacking every thread? I don't think so, but I'm sure that helped...

by desmoinesdem 2008-01-09 03:20PM | 0 recs
Re: it's funny

thats fair, lol

by world dictator 2008-01-09 06:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Two messages

snap

by leewesley 2008-01-09 03:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Two messages

Reagan kept it coded and off of national TV. This might help in SC (though it is risky and could hurt among SC AAs as well) but it probably hurts nationally. Obama has been so careful to avoid identity politics this change is very odd.

All three top candidates have worked hard on Katrina relief, though they could all do more. Turning Katrina relief into a political football in a Democratic primary won't do anything to help Louisiana.

by souvarine 2008-01-09 04:06PM | 0 recs
GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

Funny, Todd.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-01-09 02:18PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's National Campaign Co-

You are so unbalanced. I bet you get on your husband's nerves.

by lonnette33 2008-01-09 02:19PM | 0 recs
Strategy

Well it's clear that this is aimed at AA voters in S.C. It can't hurt the O campaign there.

Is it a response to the HRC campaign going negative? Probably.

Is it odious?

No more odious than HRC campaign references to drug dealing, Gloria Steinem's op-ed, mailers with false information, the fear card, insulting MLK statements, etc.

by illlaw1 2008-01-09 02:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Strategy

Negative?

It's called putting forth differences on each the candidates records; which is fair game. If BO can't stand the heat, then he should get out of the kitchen. Not trying to be sexist here.

by lonnette33 2008-01-09 02:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Strategy

Drug dealing is a difference in their records? Weird.

The same argument that Bush made against Kerry is valid? Glad to know since so many said it was BS and unfair back then.

Random statements about fairy tales, false hope, and MLK just talking but LBJ actually changing things are about differences in their record? Fair enough. How much more has she accomplished as a senator? Or should we also look at her time as the first lady? I'd be happy too do that as well. Welfare reform which led to the destruction of many poor families and immigration reform which led to the destruction of many immigrant families. Are those parts of her record?

by illlaw1 2008-01-09 02:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Strategy

I should add that it was Gloria Steinem that suggested HRC couldn't be a front-runner because of sexism. Ignoring the silliness of that argument since HRC was/is the front runner I don't see HRC shooting her down. Is that just more highlighting of their records?

by illlaw1 2008-01-09 02:42PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

Oh boy, Obama needs to condone this very quickly.

by Socks The Cat 2008-01-09 02:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

If this is BO's strategy, then I am shocked and appalled. He's not even trying to hide the NEW focus of his campaign. Classless!

by lonnette33 2008-01-09 02:21PM | 0 recs
What did Obama do in the

aftermath of Hurricane Katrina to help survivors? His campaign obviously wants to set up a comparison b/w HRC and himself. So what specific actions in the SENATE did he perform to help the survivors?

I'm not surprised that the Obama campaign wants to go down this road. He appeals to the misogny of African-American males--his base. I wouldn't be surprised if his little supporters down in South Carolina started wearing shirts "bros before hos" to REALLY get the point across. He might have Oprah do another swing in South Carolina, saying that Obama is THE ONE and then accuse AA Clinton supporters of being sell-outs if the polls get too close. That's the game plan and they're going to be sticking to it. I hope the media really covers the South Carolina antics of the Obama campaign objectively, instead of giving him the pass that they always give him (particularly MSNBC).

I hope that there's a nice backlash against him if they show what type of person he really is. Let's see the unfiltered Obama campaign in South Carolina. His schtick might work in South Carolina and other places in the South, but I hope it backfires him in the northeast and the west coast....

by ademption 2008-01-09 02:25PM | 0 recs
Re: What did Obama do in the

and now for more over the topness- his base is AA males? really? well I guess that would be a suprise to both IA and NH voters.

by bruh21 2008-01-09 02:27PM | 0 recs
Re: What did Obama do in the

Yes, all along, Obama has performed significantly well with African American male voters in South Carolina. His support among African American women was divided earlier in the year, but the Oprah events helped him with AA women voters in the past month or so.

by ademption 2008-01-09 02:37PM | 0 recs
Re: What did Obama do in the

None of which again explains the over the top nature implicited in your post. Clearly he's not just worried about AA male voters.

by bruh21 2008-01-09 02:42PM | 0 recs
Re: What did Obama do in the

what was over the top about my post? He has made comments about her just making tea etc? He's very condescending towards her in his comments, including at last Saturday night's debate.

So like I said, I don't think that it is over the top to say that his campaign is actively seeking males who like to put down women. Just like some of his supporters on his blog talk about "beating down" Hillary and other forms of aggression/violence. I'm thinking Jaehood and the rest. I'm thinking about that comment by Chris Rock about Hillary at the Apollo Theater. I guess "kudos" should be given to him that he has consolidated these type of supporters for his side....

by ademption 2008-01-09 02:51PM | 0 recs
Re: What did Obama do in the

this is a crap line of argument.  you're insinuating that all AA males are misogynists.   what a racist load of crap!

by bluedavid 2008-01-09 04:43PM | 0 recs
Re: What did Obama do in the

Actual that wasn't the insinuation.  The insinuation is that the campaign has attracted some guys who tend to use some violent imagery to make their point, and that those guys could be construed as misogynistic.

by Rooktoven 2008-01-09 06:30PM | 0 recs
by illlaw1 2008-01-09 02:28PM | 0 recs
Ooh a racist comment on liberal blog

I'm so incredibly surprised to see such a factless racist comment.

<eyeroll>

by fabooj 2008-01-09 07:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

Far be it from me to support Obama here, but please- dog whistle? Has it occured to you that maybe this is the issue that came to mind for him because, you know, this is the issue that comes to mind for him as a comparison. I suppose its dog whistle if you think bringing up something that happens to be about black folks is ulterior rather than American. If this is dog whistle, I want to hear them blow more.

by bruh21 2008-01-09 02:25PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

You have a point.  But listening to the video, it really doesn't sound like a comparison he came up with off the top of his head.  It really sounds like talking points that the campaign came up with in advance.

by Steve M 2008-01-09 02:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

That maybe true, but I don't like the implication that Todd is advancing in which talking about Katrina is now a dog whistle.

I am perfectly willing to admit its probably is, but not everything to me is about the campaign over politics.

Over at Ezra Klein site, someone had a great line that I can't now remember exactly. But it was something like this- campaigns and elections are commercials in democracies, and governing is the actual show. We seem to focus more on the commercials than we do the show. However incomplete this analogy is- I do think it exemplifies my problem with this post.

by bruh21 2008-01-09 02:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

Well, of course it's fine to talk about Katrina when you're talking about Katrina.  But here he wasn't making a point about Katrina, but about Hillary.  He could have inserted about any issue of his choice in that spot (the war, for example) and Katrina seems like a deliberate choice.

This comes on the heels of the MLK controversy where I felt the Obama campaign was partly in the wrong and took no flak for it.  And I would feel bad if this became a pattern, because nothing good can come of it.

by Steve M 2008-01-09 02:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

Hi Steve--I'm not saying I disagree with you, but a few things to consider.

- He actually does mention the war in the video.

- Did Obama's campaign play any role in the whole MLK thing after Clinton made her statement? I don't remember them saying anything, even though a lot of online supporters did. Also, I remember the Obama campaign didn't criticize Bob Kerrey for his comments. I took that to mean that they thought he was speaking in good faith (as I did). It struck me as a classy gesture at the time.

by OrangeFur 2008-01-09 03:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

Here's what the Obama campaign put in the press yesterday - the day of the election in NH:

A senior Obama staffer just told me the Barack Obama campaign is livid over Hillary Clinton's recent comment about Martin Luther King Jr. and what was apparently her attempt to point out the difference between dreaming and accomplishment.

"Dr. King's dream began to be realized when President Johnson passed the Civil Rights Act," Clinton said in the TV interview Monday.

"It took a president to get it done."

Some in the Obama campaign are now outraged at what they take to be a denigration of King's accomplishments and the sacrifices made during his era.

"Go ask black people what they think of that statement," the Obama staffer told me.

"People died for the civil rights movement in this country. People marched and put their kids in front of fire hoses! They were bitten by dogs! This is the worst thing she has said in this entire campaign."

I happen to think that's a pretty red-meat argument right there.  But of course, maybe an Obama senior staffer just happened to be sharing his random personal thoughts with the senior political correspondent from the Politico, the day of an election.

by Steve M 2008-01-09 03:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

How do you know that the staffer wasn't asked about it?

by illlaw1 2008-01-09 03:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

This would be pretty strong rhetoric for a senior staffer who was just talking out of turn.  If the Obama campaign is that undisciplined that senior staffers are going around race-baiting without authorization, that's an issue in and of itself.

by Steve M 2008-01-09 03:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

I think I understand what you mean.

I'm not sure exactly what Jesse Jackson Jr. meant by this, but if he was talking about race, I don't think it was a dog whistle in the sense that he wasn't trying to keep it secret. He openly talks about the size of the African American vote in South Carolina, so if he's making a point, he's doing so openly. So I agree, "odious" (from the story) is too strong an adjective to use here.

In any case, even though he said it was something people in the campaign are talking about, I'm not going to assume that Obama sent him out to say this, until there's some more reason to think so--for example, another campaign person makes the same point, etc. A lot of people work on campaigns, and the candidate can't be responsible for all of them.

by OrangeFur 2008-01-09 02:55PM | 0 recs

Here is some on Obama.

by illlaw1 2008-01-09 02:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

Did you read through that list before you posted it? You should have. It's thin to say the least. Especially considering the best piece of legislation he co-sponsored was introduced by Hillary Clinton.

I don't think the list ought to be padded with some of that stuff.

by americanincanada 2008-01-09 02:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

You  wanted me to just make it up or something?

What do you have for HRC?

by illlaw1 2008-01-09 02:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

I sure won't be giving you a list naming all the time she decried something or every time she released a statement.

The big one is she introduced legislation, that was passed, to create the Katrina Commission. Obama jumped onto her coat tails for that one.

by americanincanada 2008-01-09 02:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

I certainly didn't make that list up and don't expect you to make one up.  How about you just find a list?

Here is some more.

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/KatrinaFa ctSheetFinal.pdf

http://www.hillaryclinton.com/feature/ka trina/

BTW I see multiple pieces of legislation introduced by BHO. You saying you've only got one for HRC?

by illlaw1 2008-01-09 02:37PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

He jumped on as co-sponsor of bills introduced by others.

by americanincanada 2008-01-09 03:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

I guess if you want to ignore all the legislation he introduced that's cool. Not sure what the point of that is though. That's too much like a Republican for me and I have to bid ya a fond farewell.

by illlaw1 2008-01-09 03:40PM | 0 recs
Playing the race card

Obama had his surrogates all over the cable news shows tonight playing the race card: arguing that his loss in New Hampshire was the result of silent racism in the voting booth.

The Obama pundits are also suggesting that President Clinton's remarks in New Hampshire were racist.

As usual, the pundits didn't call them on it. To the contrary, it's pretty clear that racism hurting Obama will be this week's media narrative, surely culminating in a Meet the Press roundtable.

Compare to Hillary giving a speech at her womens college alma mater and the week of attacking her for "playing the gender card".

by hwc 2008-01-09 02:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Playing the race card

Or Gloria Steinem's op-ed even.

by illlaw1 2008-01-09 02:30PM | 0 recs
It's Morton's Fork.

If Obama and his surrogates play up the race card and suggest it's important it suggests he's unelectable in the general. Are these guys crazy.

by ottovbvs 2008-01-09 03:26PM | 0 recs
Re: It's Morton's Fork.

Does playing the gender card suggest that HRC is unelectable in the general?

by illlaw1 2008-01-09 03:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

Meanwhile, a lot of NOLA people came out for Edwards  with a message to NH.  Oh, let's forget Edwards....it's all about Obama and Hillary.

Edwards actually got his hands dirty down there as well as announcing.  And he still talks about NOLA as if he really means it.

by Gloria 2008-01-09 02:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

In case anybody even Gloria thinks my following post is a rebutal or rebuke... I'm writing to support Gloria's point.

by inexile 2008-01-09 03:23PM | 0 recs

I should have phrased it better..I HAVE NO DOUBT
Edwards really cares about NOLA in addition to the broader problem of everyone getting screwed by corporate America.  In NOLA, we know that the big developers are pouncing as public housing is razed.
Heck, who cares since the black/poor population has been driven out of the city....

Make no mistake, Edwards gets it and he cares, about NOLA and they whole damned rigged system.

by Gloria 2008-01-09 03:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's National Campaign Co-

FWIW, the woman who asked the question that prompted the tears voted for Sen. Obama:

http://cbs4denver.com/nationalpolitics/c linton.crying.voter.2.626577.html

BTW,  I haven't digested the Jackson thing yet but I'm not happy with it either.  Although I have to say I am still digesting Sen. Clinton's MLK/LBJ remark and while its obvious she meant no disrespect, it doesn't sit right.  To me it devalues MLK and the civil rights movement.

by Satya 2008-01-09 03:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's National Campaign Co-

Please keep bringing up this bogus MLK remark. You BO supporters are unbelieveable.

by lonnette33 2008-01-09 03:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

They're both good candidates and decent people. Let's not get into a "who cares for Katrina folks more?" argument... please?

by OrangeFur 2008-01-09 03:04PM | 0 recs
I agree,

but it was started by Jesse Jackson Junior, an Obama National Campaign Co-Chair, not some random dude on the web throwing mud.

by Rooktoven 2008-01-09 06:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

"as if he really means it" which seems to be the best one expects of our politicians.

I'm sure you understand, you don't hang out on picket lines because it's good for your political career. It's spending, not collecting, political capital to support hotel worker strikes.

Go ahead and say, "no no John knew that politics would be very very progressive now!" then show me another national politician willing to do it, oh I mean "smart enough" to side with the powerless.

Say whatever you want, JRE has already moved America further towards a progressive agenda than anybody in national politics now, and that includes Kucinich, who has good polices and no idea how to run a campaign, even a campaign to support another progressive.

I'm damn proud to be standing with JRE, and because he still is the most electable Democrat according to CNN, I haven't got an inkling of a smidgeon of a clue why progressives haven't committed to him yet.

BTW, I think you will.

by inexile 2008-01-09 03:22PM | 0 recs
Matthews was playing the race card big time.

He had some black guy and Pitchfork Pat. And you know what Pat was talking more sense. Then jj jr. Matthews and Obama don't seem to get that this pigeonholes them with Sharpton jj etc. They must be crazy.

by ottovbvs 2008-01-09 03:24PM | 0 recs
A Legitimate Question!
Jesse Jackson Jr's remark was incredibly stupid, and borderline insensitive (not to mention disturbing that he would bring up Katrina), but it was a legitimate question.
What exactly was Hillary Clinton getting choked up about the day before the New Hampshire primary?
Hillary Clinton may or may not have actually shed tears, but she definitely got choked up.
When I get choked up when I talk, it is usually because I am talking about poor children without food or medical insurance, our best and brightest dying over in Iraq (9 in the past two days), or our crumbling public school systems.
But when Hillary Clinton was asked "how do you do it?", she responded with a choked up voice saying "It's not easy, and I couldn't do it if I didn't passionately believe it was the right thing to do. You know, I have so many opportunities from this country, and I just don't want to see us fall backwards."
She said I four times in those 2 choked up sentences, so obviously she was choked up about herself.
I didn't like what Jesse Jackson Jr said (or what Edwards said, or what all the pundits said when they analyzed Clinton's choked up voice), but he was right.
And in any case I am not voting for Jesse Jackson Jr.
by fetboy 2008-01-09 03:31PM | 0 recs
Re: A Legitimate Question!

i don't like your comment, but i agree with it.  if you listen to hillary when she speaks, the most common word is "i".  Her biggest reason for running is her own ambition.

we've seen hillary go through amazing humiliations in public over the years.  if you think this one question was enough to cause a minor breakdown for her in front of the cameras, but watching her husband admit to the world that 1) he screwed around on her and 2) got caught lying about it, i've got some more koolaid for you to drink.

by bluedavid 2008-01-09 04:52PM | 0 recs
Re: A Legitimate Question!
I don't like my comment either, but it makes me sick every time I see someone cry "poor, little, rich, and fortunate me."
In the past I had praised Hillary Clinton for being "tough as nails", but her Ed Muskiesque moment before the NH primary was a grand bit of dramatics to obtain sympathy for... herself... that I just couldn't stomach.
I was aghast at watching her choke back emotion for herself, because it was like listening to her say "vote for me, not because of the great things I will do, but because I am Hillary Clinton."
Wrong Hillary, I don't need another ego maniac at the helm of the US government, I want someone who is going to roll up their sleeves and go to work for me.
by fetboy 2008-01-09 05:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

So she gets credit for her husband? Does she also take the blame for him then?

by illlaw1 2008-01-09 03:42PM | 0 recs
Of course she gets credit for him

Where you think "35 years of experience" is coming from.

by fabooj 2008-01-09 07:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

And in Hillary Clinton's own words, he's not standing here right now.

by Nautilator 2008-01-09 03:56PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

Do the Obama people really want to turn this into black vs. white and woman vs. man?  This is the true Obama campaign.  They think they are backed into a corner and politics of hope go out the window.  This is the reason gay people won't vote for him because if push comes to shove he will play into the black communities dislike of gay people which he already did in South Carolina.  Nice!

by MidwestTracker 2008-01-09 04:44PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

One more thing:  to assume that race played a factor in the polling in NH you must ASSUME that the typical NH democrat voter would be ashamed to admit he or she voted for Hillary Clinton like one would be ashamed to admit he or she voted for Jesse Helms when one is a blue collar democrat in a textile town in NC or a independent suburban soccer mom in Chapel Hill.  If you voted for Hillary and admit it no one would assume you did it because of race like they would if you voted for Helms instead of Gantt.  This is really ugly, tenuous stuff here.  The Obama are walking a tight rope here.

by MidwestTracker 2008-01-09 04:49PM | 0 recs
Re: Obama's Dog Whistle Politics

I'm a little surprised not to see more Obama supporters acknowledging that this was a stupid comment, he shouldn't have said it, it's offensive to suggest Hillary doesn't care about Katrina victims, etc.  I've seen a grand total of one person admit it.

I honestly cannot believe the Obama campaign has not walked this back by now.

by Steve M 2008-01-09 06:23PM | 0 recs