The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emotion

By now, no doubt you've all seen the video of Hillary Clinton getting a bit emotional at an event in New Hampshire earlier today. Not being near a TV, I've been interested to hear from two different women, each without my even asking, that it's the story of the day on cable news. One, a 30-something Democrat, was somewhat offended by Hillary's emotional display, annoyed that she would play into pre-conceptions of women ("What, she doesn't think she can win without being emotional?") My Mom, a moderate Republican, saw it somewhat differently, more as a welcome expression of humanity from someone whose cold and calculating persona has been etched in her mind for 16 years (she felt the same about her "that hurts my feelings" moment at the debate.) It was the first time I've ever heard my Mom say anything nice about Hillary Clinton.

These two reactions clearly represent the risk and reward of Clinton's decision to go mushy and the campaign clearly has calculated that it's a net plus for her. Now, by saying this, I'm not questioning the sincerity of the emotion she expressed, I'm simply assuming allowing herself to show it was a political calculation and a fairly brilliant one at that. Notice Clinton's very carefully chosen words, spoken softly, voice still somewhat cracked, as she elaborated on why the campaign means so much to her:

"We do it each one of us because we care about our country, but some of us are right and some of us are wrong, some of us are ready and some of us are not, some of us know what we'll do on day one and some of us don't."

In other words, as the story about Clinton's expressing emotion is played over and over on TV both local and national, what is communicated in the process is the crux of her entire post-Iowa message: I'm ready, Obama isn't.

Will it pay off for Clinton? Ben Smith suggests it may have won her one new voter.

The questioner, Pernold, said she'd come to the event "smitten" by Obama but that she's now torn. "Showing that emotion, I really find it refreshing," she said.

And it may have even prompted a gaffe from Edwards.

"I think what we need in a commander-in-chief is strength and resolve, and presidential campaigns are tough business, but being president of the United States is also tough business," Edwards told reporters Laconia, New Hampshire.

I don't know how much play that's getting, so I'm not sure that it would hurt him in NH, but at the very least it demonstrated a remarkable level of tone deafness.

So is a softer Hillary the way for her to win? I'm not convinced. I thought her final ad in Iowa, the one when where she's speaking directly into the camera with an angelic glow and perma-smile, was a dud. It seemed to be Hillary putting on a show, being what her advisors think she needs to be to win as opposed to the tough, smart, funny and real person from the debates over the summer that sent her poll numbers soaring and even ate into her negatives. Now, the event today didn't smack of the fakery evident in that ad and to the extent that it represents a new "let Hillary be Hillary" approach to her campaign, I think it can only help. But I think her campaign is off-track if it thinks a sort of general "softer side of Hillary" strategy is the key to a Clinton comeback.

Tags: 2008 Presidential election, Democratic Primary, Hillary Clinton, John Edwards, New Hampshire (all tags)

Comments

Randi Rhodes compared HIllary to Brittany

Spears today on Air America.

playing music spliced in to Hillary's tearing in the background.

She than played Obama's iowa speech afterwards and had very little sympathy for Hillary.

Just wait till Team Hillary starts Willie Hortonizing Obama..

I can't wait to watch it coming..

by TarHeel 2008-01-07 04:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Randi Rhodes compared HIllary to Brittany

I can't wait either.

by Louverture 2008-01-07 04:13PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

As an Obama supporter this was the only event of today that concerned me.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-01-07 04:12PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

me too, but its too late, and it doesn't even come close the orgiastic media obama frenzy of the past 4 days.

by leewesley 2008-01-07 04:14PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

I'm a huge Obama supporter, but even I've found the media's leg-humping of Obama unbearable and pathetic. It's like they've found their Leif Garrett.

by DPW 2008-01-07 04:21PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

It took a full day to respectfully allow everyone's head to explode first, though.  Then is was off to the races;  it's like feeding the chooks.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-01-07 04:23PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

No.  But it's still a worry, I hope she really is running out of money and the media doesn't see that what applied to Muskie is the opposite of the emotional reality for her at this stage in the campaign.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-01-07 04:21PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

I think we are witnessing the end...of her campaign, of the clinton dynasty, of her quest to be president, of an era. Its going to take the country (pundits and public) a bit of time to work through this. To go from the inevitable president to beaten to a pulp, in a matter of days is stunning to say the least.  Acceptance on all fronts, is slow to arrive.

Obama's ground game will overcome a few tears--and the pundits will internalize the fall and folks will move on.

I will be amazed if they can sustain the campaign through Feb. 5th. That is 4 weeks of what????

by aiko 2008-01-07 05:00PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

Oh, I agree.  It's all over rover, but of all the tactics she has tried and abandoned recently being honest and emotional is probably the most effective, and they never thought of it themselves.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-01-07 05:15PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

Maybe... but I still don't think this helps here... I'm not sure I think its scripted or anything like that as some have suggested... I can actually relate to what she did today... I have had moments where I am really tired, really frustrated and something just gets me emotional and there is a mini-breakdown... tears in the eyes, etc.  I can relate with what she went through...

The problem is there is a double standard and women in power can't look week.  Its not fair, its not right, but its the way many many people feel.  I think this will hurt her even more among men and will be a wash with women (some will be drawn to her, others will be turned off as Todd's example).  The big thing though is this... Todd's mom said a good thing about Hillary... The question is will they vote for her?

I feel bad for her and I think the media play on this is going to be harsh (much of what I have seen has been negative).  This may even end up being her Dean Scream moment... something else completely unfair.  Unfortunately for her, dean and most of us... life is seldom fair.  It really is a sad thing to see how this is getting treated.

by yitbos96bb 2008-01-07 05:37PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

Well, it is the only moment in the campaign when I have believed her to be genuine.  Frankly I believe any criticism of her for it is inappropriate, this must be a soul-destroying experience for her, she ran this campaign almost as a personality quest and she has been nearly humiliated.  Bill ain't looking too happy about it neither 'cuz his legacy is consumed with her ambition in the bonfire of the vanities.

I don't think it is going to make or break her campaign, at this juncture I colour her finished.  But if she showed us that kind of humanity, indeed humility, coupled with her wonkishness months ago she might still be in the hunt.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-01-07 05:41PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

I agree its inappropriate... but the media are a bunch of vultures.

by yitbos96bb 2008-01-07 06:20PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

I think you have them too far up the food-chain.  Chooks!

by Shaun Appleby 2008-01-07 06:45PM | 0 recs
Not Edwards' finest moment

His point is valid, but better left unsaid.

by MeanBoneII 2008-01-07 04:16PM | 0 recs
this is one downside

of pulling an all-nighter in the middle of the campaign.

He should have left this one at "I have no comment on that."

by desmoinesdem 2008-01-07 04:28PM | 0 recs
He actually did say that first

but the second part of what he said is getting more spin/play

by TarHeel 2008-01-07 04:39PM | 0 recs
Now that's the nastiest attack yet.

I wouldn't compare any of our candidates to that slimeball Romney. Edwards is a good and decent man who is genuinely trying to help people. But politics ain't beanbag, and he's trying to keep his campaign going, just like the other candidates.

I assume that must just be emotion talking.

by MeanBoneII 2008-01-07 05:33PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

Echidne was goddamned right about this:

Can Clinton's Emotions Get the Best of Her?

The headline on one of those pieces about Hillary Clinton showing emotion. For months the media has fretted over her not showing emotion: Is she perhaps too cold, too callous, too ambitious? She was supposed to suffer from a "likeability" crisis.

So what happens when she shows some emotion, by tearing up? Oops:

How voters weigh Clinton's composure may not differ between genders, according to Georgetown's Owens.

"Male voters are basically going to see a hysterical woman," said Owens. "Women are going to think that if Clinton is going to take on this responsible role and represent women in such a visible way she should do a better job of it and not expose the gender to this criticism."

There ya go. Now could someone in the media write a piece about exactly how a female candidate may show emotion, when and where.

I've always felt liberals understood racism far better than they understand sexism.  Maybe a little focus on this particular double standard will help matters.

by Steve M 2008-01-07 04:22PM | 0 recs
there's emotion

in between automaton and crying or yelling..

I think that's the emotion we're looking for

by TarHeel 2008-01-07 04:24PM | 0 recs
Re: there's emotion

I was hoping people who are more objective than you about Hillary Clinton would be the ones to get the point, quite frankly.

What Edwards said about Hillary today was personally embarrassing to me.

by Steve M 2008-01-07 04:28PM | 0 recs
Re: there's emotion

Edwards was way off-key, one of his lesser moments.  Obama was insightful and compassionate, you could see that he understood that in some ways he, Hillary and Edwards were in a shared, high-stress role that few others could imagine:

"I didn't see what happened. I know this process is a grind. So that's not something I care to comment on," he told reporters who threw questions at him, as he bought tea for his throat and cookies and cupcakes for the press corps.

Senator Obama - 7 Jan 07

by Shaun Appleby 2008-01-07 04:34PM | 0 recs
Re: there's emotion

Good response from Obama... smart too... He could really have taken a vicious shot there and I am glad he took the high road.

by yitbos96bb 2008-01-07 05:39PM | 0 recs
Your point was NOT lost on me.

I say this as someone who isn't for Hillary but isn't too thrilled about the other two, either.

I will say it:  That was an assholish thing for Edwards to say.

Edwards is REALLY starting to sound bitter and very very angry.

by jgarcia 2008-01-07 04:36PM | 0 recs
Well

She basically just told Edwards yesterday that's he's never fought for anyone in his life.

by Progressive America 2008-01-07 04:41PM | 0 recs
Re: Well

where?  link?

by jgarcia 2008-01-07 05:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Well

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/ 01/06/edwards-no-conscience-in-clinton-c ampaign/

Of course Edwards defended the Lakeys in court and won the case for them.

by Progressive America 2008-01-07 05:37PM | 0 recs
Re: there's emotion

That was stunningly horrible, borderline racist and incredibly stupid.  I nearly cried over that myself.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-01-07 04:40PM | 0 recs
It's not racist

to say that it takes political power and political will to turn ideals into policy and legislation.

It does not demean Martin Luther King to say that he needed a poltical actor to get the Voting Rights Bill and the Civil Rights bill enacted.  Martin Luther King knew he needed to get powerful politicians to get his dream realized.

He marched in Selma for just that purpose....to get the political world to make political equality happen for black Americans.

She's describing a historical truth...too man Obama supporters try to stamp out the reality of the political world by seeing racism in accurate observation.

it is not racist to ask if this country is ready for a black president just as it is not sexist to ask if this country is ready for a woman president (seems not given the sexist double standards that abound)

by debcoop 2008-01-07 05:52PM | 0 recs
Re: It's not racist

I said borderline on the grounds that at the time it was inconceivable that a black public figure could have been in the position to have been the political actor to get the Voting Rights Bill and the Civil Rights bill enacted.  So LBJ had to do it.  Great for him, I admire him to this day, but her argument rests on his entitlement at the expense of MLK's.  I was only 10 at the time but I remember that America pretty clearly.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-01-07 06:04PM | 0 recs
Re: It's not racist

Wow, your old!!!  ;-)

I kid because I know I can with you Shaun :-P

by yitbos96bb 2008-01-07 06:18PM | 0 recs
Re: It's not racist

Yeah, after fifty it's a breeze.  And fun, too.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-01-07 06:47PM | 0 recs
I don't get what you mean by entitlement?

MLK never wanted to be a politician.  He was the leader of a movement.

"but her argument rests on his entitlement at the expense of MLK's"

I don't get how this demeans anybody or anything,, you are imputing backward It's 20-200 hindsight.  Entitlement is irrelevant to the point she is making and you are not getting it because you are letting your sensitivilty to the racism charge get in the way.

Nevertheless the point works in any arena ....environmental activists need politicians...political leaders to turn their dreams into legislation, pro choice activists neded legislators as well..even the NRA needs politicians to get their programs turned into laws.

She was making a point about the necessity for political action and political will and power.  None of it had anything to do with racism...borderline or otherwise.

And by implication once again she was saying that talk always has to turn into political action to be successful.  She is saying she is one who acts and he values talk more..  In that I agree with her.

by debcoop 2008-01-07 06:26PM | 0 recs
Re: I don't get what you mean by entitlement?

Yeah, well I don't.  It's not a big issue, but I think she was overemphasising the legislative at the expense of the visionary, a common perception.  I would make the case, in this instance, that the legislative step was a political risk for Democrats but a moral necessity.  LBJ didn't make that happen.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-01-07 06:50PM | 0 recs
Go back to read Josh Marshall: he has entire quote

Indeed that is exactly what she meant and what the entire quote shows.  She talked about JFK who was sympathetic but did not accomplish much for blacks and the stolid LBJ who wasn't so glamorous but who did.

That was her point.

But suspicion of her always justifies a lot

by debcoop 2008-01-07 07:20PM | 0 recs
Re: Go back to read Josh Marshall: he has entire q

Well, then maybe I should have kept my mouth shut and enjoyed the ride.  Hillary inspires great scepticism in me, I must admit.  If I was all wrong I apologise.

So she was comparing Obama to JFK, then?

by Shaun Appleby 2008-01-07 07:27PM | 0 recs
Re: there's emotion

You bring up a great point.  It doesn't change my vote of course, but as I said, I feel bad for her and do think its unfair BS... unfortunately as we know, life is seldom fair.

by yitbos96bb 2008-01-07 05:41PM | 0 recs
Re: She didnt' say it. that was misreported

Are you sure, because its still all over the media?  Personally, I got what she was saying (if the reports were true)... I just think she said it poorly.

by yitbos96bb 2008-01-07 05:42PM | 0 recs
Re: She didnt' say it. that was misreported

I have a diary up on this.  Check it out and let me know what you think.

by Steve M 2008-01-07 05:56PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

They don't understand either.

They are just less tolerant of racism than sexism, which they tend to excuse.

by Louverture 2008-01-07 04:37PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

I'm not so sure many liberals understand racism much better. There were many so-called liberals wondering if Obama was "black" enough, etc. earlier in the campaign. That said, it's hard to deny that Hillary has faced some unfair obstacles. Some of it probably applies to women candidates generally, but much of it arises out of a unique unwillingness of some folks to like the Clintons. I don't particularly like Bill--though, I've grown to like Hillary more during the campaign--so, I probably suffer from this problem a little. I think I can justify some of my feelings about them, but I'll admit some of it is irrational and unfair. Hopefully, I'm not too unfair, though.

by DPW 2008-01-07 04:47PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

I thought her tears were genuine, but they were tears of anger, not hurt or grief. They matched her words, which displayed anger that the upstart Obama is displacing her.

by cmpnwtr 2008-01-07 04:22PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

I think they were just tears from Stress and frustration... I have experienced the same thing in life and I am sure there are lots here who have as well.

by yitbos96bb 2008-01-07 05:44PM | 0 recs
I think the Clintons are losing their minds

Both of them.  Today the two of them managed to insult the legacies of the two most important Black people in history.  First Hillary somehow placed Lyndon Johnson ahead of Martin Luther King in the Civil Rights struggle and then Bill inexplicably said if he had to choose one person to help him with the last job on earth, he would pick Hillary over Nelson Mandela.  It's not so much his choice, but what the hell is he even talking about it for?

And Hillary chokes up over how hard it is campaigning, showing how she reacts under stress.  Bill says he can't make her "young, tall, or male".  Hillary gets into a spat with Chris Matthews and then says she can't understand men obsessing over her.  And Bill comes out and says he always knew she'd have a tough time winning the primaries.

Quite a day.

by Piuma 2008-01-07 04:26PM | 0 recs
Re: I think the Clintons are losing their minds

Fuck Chris Matthews.  He's been savaging her so much over the years and being so misogynistic, if I were her, I'd have punched him  in the face and deleted his number from my cell phone.

by jgarcia 2008-01-07 05:07PM | 0 recs
Re: She didn't compare LBJ and MLK

Again, that's not what is being reported.

by yitbos96bb 2008-01-07 05:45PM | 0 recs
Re: She didn't compare LBJ and MLK

Well to be fair, that is not what i saw earlier when I was reading things... it may have been corrected since that point.

by yitbos96bb 2008-01-07 06:15PM | 0 recs
Oh please

The "emotional" Clinton was followed within ten seconds by more attacks on Obama. Nothing has changed by her hopelessness.

by mattmfm 2008-01-07 04:29PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward

I think the tearful moment probably helped Clinton. If the stereotype is of her being a cold, calculated and shrill woman, I do not see how this can't help her.  I still think Obama will win, but some of the media types are setting pretty high expectations (i.e., obama wins by 15%-20%)

by mecarr 2008-01-07 04:34PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward

If she ever did win the primary the Republicans would pounce on this moment as proof she can't handle stress, if she can't deal with the stress of a primary how would she handle a terrorist attack.  People always talk about vetting.  Well this was a gift wrapped package to McCain or Giulianni.

by Piuma 2008-01-07 04:39PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward

If the Republicans use that, then it will backfire on them as petty. It is a fact that women feel less guarded in tearing up. We live in a society where some brats on Big Brother cry like lil babies when they see their parents or sibling after just 2 weeks on the show.

I doubt society is going to look at a womam where it is natural for her to let loose some emotion after going through a stressful grind. People miss the point about the timing of her tearing up. It is not about that moment itself, but the cumulative stress she felt until that point. That question she asked just merely happened to come at a time where she just needed a little relief. More men would like to tear up but they are scared that they might look weak. Plus women are more prone to express themselves. Why not embrace the diversity of gender  behavior.

by Pravin 2008-01-07 05:48PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward

The 527s would use it.  But as with Kerry, it isn't what they say, its how the candidate reacts.  I have no doubt that Hillary wouldn't be tarred as she would fight back.

by yitbos96bb 2008-01-07 06:17PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's

It started in '72.  Muskie was passionately defending his wife, and the media said he cried (it was snow).  This was the beginning of the end for American politics, as emotion was now not allowed in the game.

by Sean Fitzpatrick 2008-01-07 04:36PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti
I think Edwards said it right.  I've heard emotion in his voice many times (about poverty, health care issues, jobs).  Hillary's getting emotional about what?  Her political circumstances?  Whether it was calculated or not, it was silly.  Sure, she's more qualified than Barack, but is that something to get choked up about?  She oughtta know by now that politics is fickle.
She's still my second choice though.  Barack is now the front-runner, but John Edwards deserves to be.
by ChgoSteve 2008-01-07 04:38PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

no about how she cares about the process. look I support someone else but don't humanize others if you do as well.

by bruh21 2008-01-07 05:30PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's

I agree with your comment about men not being permitted to be men, these days, though it is a tricky wicket and male violence is one of our social sicknesses.  It is essentially up to men to find activities in which their energy is passionate and determined rather than angry and stubbornly resentful.  And I'm not talking about watching sports either.

by Shaun Appleby 2008-01-07 04:39PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

Some of Clinton's potential undoing over this matter has to be attributed to what she showed emotion about. From the ABC transcript "she choked up responding to one woman's question about how she stays "upbeat and so wonderful. 'It's not easy,'" she said. If she had gotten upset about something that didn't have to do just with her--like dead soldiers in Iraq or families losing their healthcare and homes--wouldn't this show of emotion been viewed in a different, and potentially more positive, context? No doubt, it's very difficult for women politicians to ever show emotion. Kathleen Blanco, for instance, was largely criticized about coming to tears over the plight of hurricane Katrina victims. But at least people agreed that what she was getting emotional about was indeed tragic. How many people really feel sorry for how tough it is for politicians to campaign for the Presidential nomination?

by jeffbinnc 2008-01-07 04:42PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's

Well I have to say that as a definite non-fan of the senator, I thought the moment was quite endearing of her. She seemed sincere and honest to me, and it was the kind of display of emotion that I think people needed to see from her because at times she looks like an automaton.

IT's probably too late to make a difference, but for the first time in a long time, I truly felt sorry for her.

by need some wood 2008-01-07 04:44PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's

Well, it helps her with some women. Tom Browkaw said he talk to several young women who were put off by it.

But she's not wining those women anyway.

by Louverture 2008-01-07 04:50PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's

They just showed one of those Luntz focus groups on fox, with reactions of voters watching Hillary's emotional moment. The dials were mildly favorable but dropped noticeably when her remarks shifted to other candidates' underqualification. Overall, no one seemed moved enough by it to change their vote.

Just a Luntz focus group, so it's probably not worth too much. But, though I'd share.

by DPW 2008-01-07 04:58PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

I think it was genuine--its a sad day for the clintons.

by aiko 2008-01-07 05:04PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

She should have stopped after her initial thoughts. I believe that was genuine. But then she fell back into political mode and blew the moment.

by sndeak 2008-01-07 05:11PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton'

I prefer to see her with emotions that act like a fucking robot like shes been acting.

I support Edwards, but this wasn't his finer moment. Sometimes saying nothing is the best answer.

by bruh21 2008-01-07 05:29PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's

If Dick Vermiel can cry over every freaking minor accomplishment, I don't see why it is seen as bad for a woman to show tears. Tough athletes crying has become so commonplace.

I am one of the more cynical people here. But what I saw in the Hillary tearing up clips on TV was Hillary letting her guard down. I think Hillary could have easily controlled her emotions if she wanted to and she has done so in the past. But I think she felt that it would only help her gain some sympathy points by making herself look more human. Men and women being equal does not have to mean they have to express themselves the same way.

So I feeel it was a political decision by her to let the public see her tear up. but I don't think she had to fake it. It came from stress built up bringing her defenses down and her political instinct told her to go with the flow.

I think this will help her more than hurt her. Those who get turned off by it won't vote for her anyway.

by Pravin 2008-01-07 05:41PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's

Um Dick Vermeil was ridiculed for that on most Sports talk shows... not a good example.

by yitbos96bb 2008-01-07 06:26PM | 0 recs
Re: The Risk And Reward Of Clinton's Showing Emoti

CNN is speculating it will be James Carvelle to the rescue tomorrow.

by Piuma 2008-01-07 05:48PM | 0 recs
My Take: Premeditated and Prepackaged

Watching the tape closely, and considering the context, including all the other things that the Clinton campaign has "attempted" to do today, I firmly believe that this "emotionally released" sound bite was premeditated and prepackaged.

It looks like it was designed by her campaign to be uttered with a dash of emotion. It seems, however, that Hillary took her lines in the script right to the edge of maudlin...then probably crossed that line. Uhhhhh...no.

Additionally, her comment that "this is personal" was a direct ripoff of what Edwards said during the NH debate a few hours ago.  And, the MSM essentially wanting John Edwards to be credited with nothing in this campaign, did not report this direct ripoff.  Because....?

That part of the script that had her deliver this line:  "some of us are right, and some of us are wrong", SHOULD have been the story of this particular episode.  In particular, the media should not have spent more than a minute reporting about her tearing up (which actually was trivial), and instead, immediately thereafter, asked Hillary to detail where SHE is right, and Barack Obama is wrong.

She, and her lines, dropped a very blunt attack on her opponents, and she should have been asked to explain EXACTLY what she meant.  Instead, we got the soap opera reporting about tearing up.

The notion that a candidate on the campaign trail (whether it be a man or a woman) can say...in so many words...that I deserve sympathy, because this is SUCH hard work, and NOT receive a fair amount of scorn from the voters, is simply fantasy. When George Bush kept saying in debates back in 2004, that "this is hard work" voters, to excuse his failures...THAT deserved scorn.

As I see it, if you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen.  If you can't do the job, then get out. Kerry should have said that to Bush's face when he whined during those debates.  And that would NOT have been tone deaf, even if Bush were wearing a dress.

The ABC blog report you reference on Edwards is hopelessly biased against Edwards, suggesting that he "pounced."  How about Edwards commented?  And every word Edwards said was true. The Presidency is hard work, and grueling...which is...uhm...the truth.

If the MSM were actually reporting on Edwards as their favored candidate (as they are with Obama), then Edwards would have been contrasted to Hillary, at a moment like this following the whining, as a candidate who apparently has incredible endurance, pulling all nighters, while the reporters drop like flies and doze off, and still remaining substantially lucid.

As for Obama, really folks, he failed to comment because he is presently...uhm...in the lead, and he does not want ANYTHING to upset the ducks he has in a row. When Obama was NOT the front-runner a few days ago, in the middle of an international crisis, he decided it was a great time to attack Hillary. That should have been the time for a no comment as well, but then...well...what a difference an Iowa win, and yet another Newsweek cover (3 and counting?), can make.

by Demo37 2008-01-07 08:37PM | 0 recs