John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Please Support the MyDD Fundraiser

John Edwards is scheduled to drop out of the race at 1pm EST during a speech on poverty from New Orleans.

John Edwards will not be endorsing "at this time" and reportedly called both Hillary and Barack to ask them to make poverty central to their campaigns and administrations. They said they would.

Isn't it amazing how the media seems to have finally discovered John Edwards now that he's leaving the race? On both MSNBC and CNN, they're talking about how he was the first to propose a healthcare plan and an economic stimulus package "even before George Bush." Makes you wonder, where the hell have they been?

Update [2008-1-30 13:6:58 by Todd Beeton]:CNN anchor: "rumor mill" is that Edwards would at some point endorse Hillary Clinton. David Gergen pushed back on that, saying it would actually make more sense for him to endorse Obama as he's been running against the status quo in Washington that both he and Obama have been making the case Clinton represents. In her response to John Edwards's decision to drop out, Clinton has been playing up their similarities, namely that both of their health care plans are universal and don't "leave anyone out."

Update [2008-1-30 13:26:9 by Todd Beeton]:CNN anchor just asked a financial reporter if John Edwards's dropping out would affect the markets. Wha-? I switched to CNN because MSNBC sucks so bad but now CNN is almost making me want to flee to FoxNews.

Update [2008-1-30 13:28:18 by Todd Beeton]:"The Democratic Party will make history. We will be strong, we will be unified and with a little backbone we will take back the White House in November."

Update [2008-1-30 13:34:7 by Todd Beeton]:"We passed under a bridge where 200 homeless Americans sleep every night. We got out and talked to them...one woman said to me 'You won't forget us will you?' To all those who are struggling, I say we will never forget you."

"This Democratic Party hears you."

Update [2008-1-30 13:38:3 by Todd Beeton]:"I am suspending my campaign for the presidency...Thanks to all the people who've come up to me in the last few days and said 'Don't forget us,' let me tell you, you almost changed my mind."

Update [2008-1-30 13:51:38 by Todd Beeton]:CNN stopped covering Edwards so I'm back to MSNBC and Tweety literally called Edwards "radical" three times. Sigh.

Tags: 2008 Presidential election, Democratic nomination, John Edwards, Poverty (all tags)

Comments

I'd be DAMN shocked if Edwards endorsed Clinton

by world dictator 2008-01-30 08:08AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

I think that Clinton is probably willing to offer Edwards more than Obama.

by kristoph 2008-01-30 08:24AM | 0 recs
Exactly!!
Obama is too OWNED by the Dem establishment that likes those lobbyists donations.
But more importantly - Obama is also owned by the media that maintains HUGE lobbying influence in DC.
by annefrank 2008-01-30 08:43AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

How much more can she offer? Supreme Court? Vice President?

by RJEvans 2008-01-30 10:13AM | 0 recs

Poverty Czar...

by world dictator 2008-01-30 10:31AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

"They're banging down the doors."

-- Strategist Joe Trippi, quoted by TPM, on Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. Hillary Clinton trying to secure the endorsement of John Edwards.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-01-30 08:10AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Oh, I got that from Taegan Goddard's "Political Wire," just for the purposes of citing sources.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-01-30 08:12AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

I don't curse online all that often, but...

Fuck the media!

If JRE had received 10% of this attention and acknowledgment while he was in the race...

-Zen Blade

by Zen Blade 2008-01-30 08:12AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

I agree; the media has been god awful unfair to all three candidates.

by ejintx 2008-01-30 08:16AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

The media has not been unfair to Obama.  Unless by unfair you mean heaping praise on him, downplaying any problems with his record as either unimportant or vaguely racist to even raise, and mercilessly attacking or ignoring his opponents.

by BDB 2008-01-30 08:18AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

You used the "media is unfair to my candidate mad libs very well."

The MSM is totally biased against _(fill in name of preferred candidate).  I mean, did you see how they ignored all that terrible stuff _(name of opposition candidate)_ did?  They are totally bought and paid for.  I will NEVER vote for _(name of opposition)_

by HSTruman 2008-01-30 09:25AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Let me put it this way: the media has put each Democrat at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to the GE.

Clinton is by far treated the worst - I don't think anyone will deny that they are unnecessarily harsh and relentless when it comes to covering her.  She would walk into the GE with public opinion all over the place and it would be hard to recover when the Republicans set in too.

Edwards is another victim, but not because they attacked - they simply ignored.  Edwards never gained the appropriate momentum to launch his campaign and be competitive, because he's been woefully overlooked.

Obama may inevitably suffer the most though - the media has handed him a free pass that has probably lowered his guard.  Wait until the Republicans attack and attack viciously.  I don't know Obama's whole life back and forward, but I'm sure Republican operatives will dig and bury him if he isn't prepared.  Ironically, because the media has been so gentle, he will inevitably have an uphill battle to fight as well.

by ejintx 2008-01-30 11:09AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Of course the MSM is discovering him now, he isn't going to be the nominee.  Now they can say nice things about him.  Just like if Clinton were to drop out they'd say nice - or at least less mean - things about her.

I could see Edwards endorsing either one, frankly.  I think he probably does like Obama's change theme.  But I also think he probably likes Clinton's partisanship and certainly she's started to sound more populist lately on economics.  I don't think either of them fits Edwards perfectly or is out of the question.

by BDB 2008-01-30 08:17AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

For what it's worth, Michael Novak says there may be a deal in the works with Obama.

by Drummond 2008-01-30 08:18AM | 0 recs

That's not a deal.

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-01-30 08:23AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Nitpick: that's Bob Novak, the right-wing political gossip columnist.  Michael Novak is the right-wing theologian and social commentator.

by RT 2008-01-30 08:27AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Do you mean ROBERT Novak. It's funny this scumbag is always being quoted as an authority by the Obamanauts.

by ottovbvs 2008-01-30 08:31AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Obamanauts? If you going to continue calling us names, at least learn how to spell, moron.

by Lawdawg 2008-01-30 08:56AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Wow, i would never expect Edwards to endorse Clinton.

by Socks The Cat 2008-01-30 08:21AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

I think that unless Edwards endorses before 2/5 his impact will be negligible.

I expect he'll be wheeling and dealing over the next few days and endorse just on Monday.

by kristoph 2008-01-30 08:22AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

I doubt it would be that late.  If Edwards is to endorse before Feb. 5 it would be done by Friday or Saturday to have more impact on late-deciders going into Feb. 5.

by georgep 2008-01-30 08:25AM | 0 recs
Re: I hope JE is about " the cause"

I am glad that JE was in the race.  If Obama had not gotten in, he would have been my first choice.

I don't think there was ever room for two insurgent candidates.

I sincerely hope that Edwards means what he says and that he is sincere in his commitment to the issues, rather than to his own personal power.  If he is sincere, I think he has to endorse Obama.  The Clintons have too much history on free trade, DLC, sucking up lobbyist money, negative campaigning, etc.

The only way to justify staying silent or endorsing HRC is a desire to back the front-runner.  His actions will say a lot about his character.  I hope I am right about JE and Elizabeth.

by upper left 2008-01-30 08:24AM | 0 recs
Re: I hope JE is about " the cause"

I don't think there was ever room for two insurgent candidates.

You are right. Now Hillary is the only candidate fighting for the average American by running against the entrenched insiders in Washington (like Leahey, Kerry, and Kennedy).

by hwc 2008-01-30 08:34AM | 0 recs
Re: I hope JE is about " the cause"

Hillary is now the insurgent candidate AND the experienced candidate of Washington?  Wow, she really IS amazing!

by HSTruman 2008-01-30 08:42AM | 0 recs
Re: I hope JE is about " the cause"

Clinton represents the Clinton wing of the republican party, which is certainly on the wane.

Obama/Kennedy/Kerry are part of the Kennedy wing which was just resurrected .

by kristoph 2008-01-30 08:46AM | 0 recs
Re: I hope JE is about " the cause"

Ted Kennedy has forgotten more about losing Presidential campaigns than most people will ever know. Look at his track record dating back to 1972. In presidential politics, everything he touches turns to dust.

by hwc 2008-01-30 09:13AM | 0 recs
Clinton a Repug?

Please try looking at her voting record, before impugning her character.

Support Obama or Edwards, fine.  Distort HRC, NOT FINE>.

by borlov 2008-01-30 09:36AM | 0 recs
Re: I hope JE is about " the cause"

Yep. She's running as an insurgent against the tire old poobahs of the Democratic Party who have capitulated and lost to the Republicans for more than 40 years.

by hwc 2008-01-30 08:47AM | 0 recs

hahahaha

hwc, get 'em

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-01-30 08:54AM | 0 recs
Re: I hope JE is about " the cause"

Ya, the Clintons didn't triangulate all through the 90's....welfare reform, NAFTA... They have been fighting for change for all of a month now. Spin, spin, spin.  First it was experience. After IA, Clinton is now the change candidate. HSTruman was right.  Her changing political slogans are another triangulation. At least she is good at that.

by Lawdawg 2008-01-30 08:59AM | 0 recs
Re: I hope JE is about " the cause"

She's running against Bill?!?!

by greenvtster 2008-01-30 08:58AM | 0 recs
Re: I hope JE is about " the cause"

You  mean the tired wing of the party that didn't adopt Republican values, pass NAFTA, welfare reform, and declare "the era of big government is over?"

If so, gottcha and thanks for the clarification.

by HSTruman 2008-01-30 09:07AM | 0 recs
Re: I hope JE is about " the cause"

Laughable. The three senators you mention just happened to endorse Obama. How about McCaskill, a new senator who endorsed Obama. Are you willing to include Tim Johnson and Ben Nelson in this grouping?  Stop spinning, you must be dizzy.

Mudcat Saunders, a long-time advisor to Edwards, said on MSNBC that he would do everything in his power to prevent Edwards from endorsing Clinton.

by Lawdawg 2008-01-30 08:53AM | 0 recs
Re: I hope JE is about " the cause"

Was Mudcat waving his confederate flag?

by hwc 2008-01-30 09:15AM | 0 recs
Re: I hope JE is about " the cause"

Hillary should consider puting you in charge of her "lose the entire South" meeting group.  This is precisely the kind of outreach to rural and southern voters that her campaign will excell at in the GE.

by HSTruman 2008-01-30 09:23AM | 0 recs
Re: I hope JE is about " the cause"

Thanks for the unintended belly laugh.

The woman whose campaign is primarily premised on her husband being the former two-term POTUS, who has more connection than any Democrat in the country, is now the insurgent!?!

HRC may be many things: intelligent, committed, persistent, passionate, or less positively cold, calculating, and ambitious.  She is not by any reasonable stretch of the imagination an insurgent.

A RESTORATION DOES NOT EQUAL AN INSURRECTION.

by upper left 2008-01-31 04:56AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

JE isn't like the Obama nuts and thinks Clinton is satan like some of you obamanuts are trying to do ;) if he backs clinton, I'm sure it won't be "just because she's the front runner"

by werd2406 2008-01-30 08:29AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Won't happen. Nice try. Clinton certainly isn't the change Edwards has been advocating. He may not endorse Obama either, which would likely benefit Clinton.

by Lawdawg 2008-01-30 08:50AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

No, it would be because Hillary promises him a cabinet post (I hear Edwards is looking for the AG spot)

Of course he would be a fool to believe a Clinton promise.

by JoeCoaster 2008-01-30 08:57AM | 0 recs
Clinton response

Hillary has a large photo and salute to John and Elizabeth on the front page of her website:

Here is her statement and a blog where supporters can thank the Edwards:

http://www.hillaryclinton.com/blog/view/ Default.aspx?id=31856

John Edwards ended his campaign today in the same way he started it - by standing with the people who are too often left behind and nearly always left out of our national debate.

John ran with compassion and conviction and lifted this campaign with his deep concern for the daily lives of the American people. That is what this election is about - it's about our people. And John is one of the greatest champions the American people could ask for.

I wish John and Elizabeth all the best. They have my great personal respect and gratitude. And I know they will continue to fight passionately for the country and the people they love so deeply.

by hwc 2008-01-30 08:32AM | 0 recs
Re: Clinton response

Most only JRE supporters I know will vote for Hillary - simply because Obama supporters have been the nastiest - creating a zillion videos smearing and mocking JRE - and accusing JRE of RACISM and SEXISM where none existed.

Plus - Obama is purely OWNED by the corporatists and Corporate Owned Media.

by annefrank 2008-01-30 08:50AM | 0 recs
Re: Clinton response

Yeah, that's why she's been fighting them.

by RJEvans 2008-01-30 09:33AM | 0 recs
Re: Clinton response

Well maybe not here - but Kossacks called Edwards and Elizabeth racist and sexist.
Didn't Matt Stoller do his part too?

ObamaBots are quick to cry RACISM over non-racist statements!
Case in point - Hillary's statement about LBJ.
Oh - and Kos called Edwards an ass after he sided with Hillary on history.

The Corporate Owned Media is ROFL at the "left" blogosphere for being duped by the most rightist Dem candidate.

by annefrank 2008-01-30 09:36AM | 0 recs
Re: Clinton response

Here's Matt Stoller's slimy diary --

http://www.openleft.com/showDiary.do?dia ryId=719

Oh - and Washington and corporate lobbyists have FUNDED Obama's political career.  He only stopped taking their bribe money in 2007 - because he knew Edwards has NEVER taken a dime from those lobbyists.

Funny -that it's OK for Obama to make a 180 on lobbyist donations - but Edwards couldn't make a change from his voting record 8 years ago without ObamaBots screaming about it.

by annefrank 2008-01-30 10:17AM | 0 recs
I'm stunned.

The best candidate running for the Democratic nomination is leaving the race.  I'm not sure what I will do February 5th when California votes.  If either Clinton or Obama promise John the Position of Attorney General, they will have my vote.  If not.....  I just don't know.

by Its Like Herding Cats 2008-01-30 08:34AM | 0 recs
Re: I'm stunned.

They can't promise him a cabinet position, not publicly anyway.  That would be illegal. You will have to read whatever tea leaves there are to see if an appointment is likely after one of them wins.

by ocli 2008-01-30 08:44AM | 0 recs
Re: I'm stunned.

It is not illegal,  Bush gathered and named his whole cabinet before the election of 2000

by Its Like Herding Cats 2008-01-31 07:28AM | 0 recs
Re: I'm stunned.

Yes!!  a plaintiffs' attorney as Attorney General would be truly HISTORIC!

by annefrank 2008-01-30 08:52AM | 0 recs

lets go to work

by desmoulins 2008-01-30 08:37AM | 0 recs
What's Edward's endorsement worth.

Something but unless you buy into the basic belief that endorsements are the be all and end all it's surely not much. How do I know that. Well ask the Edwards supporters if they would vote who he told them to. Would a Hillary hating Edwards voter support Clinton, or vice versa.  Not very likely is it. They are going to go with their own instincts and if that is true here amongst all the political junkies who hang on Edwards every word, it is ten times truer of your average voter. No doubt they both want it but we need to be realistic about what it's worth. Edwards basic voter demographic is a more reliable guide.

by ottovbvs 2008-01-30 08:38AM | 0 recs
No chance he endorses HRC

Who are his top advisors other than Elizabeth:

Trippi, who has an active disdain for Mark Penn, called out the dirtiness of the HRC campaign during the Shaheen campaign.  His background-- he opposed Bill Clinton in 92', running Jerry Brown's campaign (one that actively spotlighted the Whitewater scandal, I believe during the CT debate).

Mudcat Sanders.  Yeah, he's not pushing for a HRC endorsement:  http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0 108/The_Mudcat_lobby_Stop_Hillary.html

David Bonoir:  strained relationship with the Clintons after NAFTA.

by ChrisR 2008-01-30 08:39AM | 0 recs
Re: No chance he endorses HRC

I am sure Trippi and Axelrood get along really well. Not!

by kristoph 2008-01-30 08:41AM | 0 recs
Re: No chance he endorses HRC

I agree. Edwards needs to actively endorse Obama to help Obama.  Staying silent probably helps Clinton, unfortunately.

by Lawdawg 2008-01-30 08:48AM | 0 recs
Re: No chance he endorses HRC

Here's to him staying silent.

by Rooktoven 2008-01-30 09:57AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

I sincerely doubt there's going to be an endorsement. I think its petty and small to be focusing on that when he just gave a speech in which he called on all Democrats, including those supporting Obama and Clinton, not to forget the poor, the dispossessed and those who feel they have no voice.

by desmoulins 2008-01-30 08:42AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

John makes me feel really guilty to be sitting here in this office...

by Steve M 2008-01-30 08:43AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Prediction: Edwards and Gore will endorse whoever comes out of Super Tuesday as the frontrunner, if there is a frontrunner with a fairly significant lead in delegates. McCain 98% chance will be the Republican nominee. Democrats do not need a long drown out battle.

by Christopher Lib 2008-01-30 08:44AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

I am tempted to agree. But what if the spread is only 100 delegates?

by kristoph 2008-01-30 08:48AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

What he got from both Obama an Clinton right after SC was the pledge to make poverty an issue.
This question will be asked of both.
Edwards is dragging the Democratic Party kicking and screaming to where it belongs...
I heard him use the words like
"progressive in the White House."
From his remarks when speaking about recent speaking engagements "They almost made me change my mind" shows SC was the end..

I think he will be wathing the Obama/Clinton debate
very carefully.
A last thought..now was the time not after 2/5.
It is truly unknown what he would have received so it means more.
What will be covered is his challenge to Clinton/Obama...and our Party..
JRE for AG no matter who wins!

by nogo war 2008-01-30 08:47AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Very powerful, direct speech. I support Obama, but I am very thankful to Edwards--and all of Edwards supporters--for how they made taking on corporate power not only possible, but necessary, and talking about poverty necessary. Edwards gave some of the best speeches of the entire campaign, and if it was a question of domestic policy, I'd like his campaign to be writing it.

Thank you, Edwards.

by Zephyr Teachout 2008-01-30 08:47AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Me too.  He was my first choice until it was apparent he had little chance to win.  Then I switched to Hillary.

I doubt he will endorse anyone.  He may lean in some ways towards Obama, but endorsing someone who does not have plans for universal health care would be against the core of his message. I think it would be great if he stayed neutral in the name of unity.

by ocli 2008-01-30 08:47AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

You know, that's an awesome idea, to be able to wait to buy insurance until you actually need it, but somehow I sense a flaw.

by Steve M 2008-01-30 09:24AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

The reason insurance makes health care cheaper is because of the healthy people who pay into the system.  If you don't make the healthy people pay before you get injured, then it's no cheaper than having no insurance for anyone.

by Steve M 2008-01-30 09:49AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Who are you going to go with now Undies?

by kristoph 2008-01-30 08:47AM | 0 recs
Re: My Own Announcement

Thanks for your support. Knowing that we still have Democrats who will not fight to win really makes me feel warm in my heart.

by RJEvans 2008-01-30 09:36AM | 0 recs
Re: My Own Announcement

This is actually why i am supporting Hillary.  I believe all the dirt is already out there on her.  What more do they have?  The republicans hate the clintons and I believe they never stopped looking for something to bring them down.  All the baggage is out in the open, old news.  Obama, well I don't know what his background is and what the republicans will roll out.  His church alone will scare off a lot of voters.

by Scope441 2008-01-30 11:42AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Chris Matthews is now calling him a radical. The media still won't give Edwards a break.

I'm glad John and Elizabeth ran such a strong campaign and gave a voice to all of those who have had none in America.

by Progressive America 2008-01-30 08:51AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Chris Matthews is, frankly, irrelevant.

by desmoulins 2008-01-30 08:54AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

We must keep our chins up and move on now, guys and gals.  Decide among the two based on what candidate best moves the Democrats forward.

by Todd Bennett 2008-01-30 08:57AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

The idea of making Chris Matthews the first up against the wall becomes less and less radical every day.

by Steve M 2008-01-30 09:00AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Edwards made a great speech, and made Obama and Clinton move towards his point of view while he was in the race.

Now.  All you Obama and Clinton supporters.  Yeah, I'm talking to YOU.

Instead of building castles in the air ("This is good for Obama!  No, this is good for Clinton!")
why don't you all use that energy where it will do some good, and go out and work like hell for your candidate?

Just a suggestion.

by kmblue 2008-01-30 08:54AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

I have little idea of what to do.  I can not remember feeling so confused.  Make your pitch, people.

by Todd Bennett 2008-01-30 08:58AM | 0 recs
What we need to do

I'm devestated, but there's plenty to do even without this standard bearer.

As good as JE was in representing the progressive movement in the presidential campaign (and he was by far the best), that battlefront was lost months ago when the progressive movement was split between pragmatism and idealism, with idealism winning. That's no bash on Obama, just an observation that the pent up energy available to move this country forward on a progressive agenda was dispersed among two good vessels.

The most significant front is in the battles over FISA, war funding, economic stimulus handouts to the rich, and most of all, democratic primary challenges. We need to break the mold of politics in our country, and the failure of this one candidate does not mean the end. In fact, it was a positive step that we can build on. When have we EVER before heard such unabashed populism from a debate podium? Look at how far the discussion was moved from centrist to progressive this campaign! We need to build on this new baseline to cement it's foundation in place, and expand it's reaches even further by electing better Dems and challenging every single last instance of capitulation in Washington.

by greenvtster 2008-01-30 09:14AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

My only pitch would be this - please look at the issues which concern you now with an open mind.  When supporting people we often look at the others through a comparison lens, not at the stances on their own grounds.  So I would only ask you to look at Obama for what he is on his own terms.

And I would also ask you to look at the big picture, the President as inspirational leader, as someone who can bring a people's mandate to our side, as someone who can help sweep in a governing majority in the General Election, and help restore our self-image and our image throughout the world.

And lastly, here is I guess Obama's pitch, his words:

"John Edwards has spent a lifetime fighting to give voice to the voiceless and hope to the struggling, even when it wasn't popular to do or covered in the news. At a time when our politics is too focused on who's up and who's down, he made a nation focus again on who matters - the New Orleans child without a home, the West Virginia miner without a job, the families who live in that other America that is not seen or heard or talked about by our leaders in Washington.

John and Elizabeth Edwards have always believed deeply that we can change this - that two Americans can become one, and that our country can rally around this common purpose. So while his campaign may end today, the cause of their lives endures for all of us who still believe that we can achieve that dream of one America."

by Piuma 2008-01-30 09:27AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Why would he want to endorse now when he can wait until he knows who the nominee is?  They will want his endorsement just as much then as they do now and he will be with the winner and he is more likely to get what he wants....

by my nickle 2008-01-30 08:58AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

He may have dropped out to help a particular candidate.

by Todd Bennett 2008-01-30 08:59AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread
I agree, my gut is telling me he has worked out some type of deal with either Hillary or Obama.  My guess is Hillary, since after FL, i am thinking she is looking like the clear front runner.
Plus, regardless of who he supports, its clear that he was pulling support from Hillary, so why leave the race now and hurt Obama?  I am thinking he will support Hillary and be offered the AG spot.
by Scope441 2008-01-30 09:05AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

I think he is helping Hillary b/c she canceled all her interviews after State of Union....

by Zeitgeist9000 2008-01-30 09:08AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

She cancelled those interviews because all the talk was going to be about the Kennedy endorsements and the drubbing she took in SC.  She doesn't need that type of press.

by Chili Dogg 2008-01-30 09:19AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

sorry bud -- the gist of your comment is politically accurate, but talking about "assraping" is way way out of line... post it again without that kind of stupid language and your comment will be okay

by lifelongdem 2008-01-30 02:06PM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

HAve you been paying any attention? I think what he wants is the Democratic party to make economic inequality a priority.

by desmoulins 2008-01-30 09:29AM | 0 recs

kmblue laughs

by kmblue 2008-01-30 09:01AM | 0 recs
Bye JRE and EE-You will be missed!!!

by lonnette33 2008-01-30 09:14AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

The ONLY thing that is now guaranteed is that we will be in Iraq a lot longer.

by eric the red 2008-01-30 09:27AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

I thought he gave a good speech- I especially liked the line "this son of a mill worker will be just fine"- something he has said in the debates about all of them if they lost- being just fine.

To me, he has seemed more genuine in the last week- at the last debate and in this speech, I really believed what he was saying was what he felt- he didn't come across fake like he has to me pre-Nevada.  He was more relaxed and stopped going straight into the "stump" speech on every answer.  He was more himself.  Good luck to him, I'm sure either Hillary or Obama will have him in their administration in some capacity so we'll be seeing him again.

by reasonwarrior 2008-01-30 09:28AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

I wonder what the topic of discussion was between Clinton and Edwards after the SC debate. Sneaky, sneaky...

by RJEvans 2008-01-30 09:40AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

i just find it funny.  after the sc debate, this was the big issue.  then bob novak comes out with something, and people assume that obama and edwards are locked together.  while my guess is that, if he did endorse early, it would be obama, i wouldn't be surprised to see him endorse hrc on account of the progressive movement.

by toonsterwu 2008-01-30 09:53AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

If you think that mainstream progressive ideas are "radical," then you're correct.  Otherwise, your comment is ridiculous.

What exactly about Edwards' policy ideas are you against?  Universal Health Care, which all our candidates support?  Choice?  Economic Equality?  A more progressive tax system?

by HSTruman 2008-01-30 10:02AM | 0 recs
Edwards is out, but the fight goes on

I think John really hit home during his speech when he said that he might be dropping out, but the fight goes on. The next president is gonna have a lot of cleaning up to do. The question is, what first? A friend showed me a great site called On Day One, which is run by the United Nations and is dedicated to what the next prez should do on day one. Evidently, the folks at the UN are counting Bush's 355 remaining days, too. Check out the site and contribute if you get a chance.

by Pat Healy 2008-01-30 10:02AM | 0 recs
Re: Edwards is out, but the fight goes on

I figure you spend Day One filling out insurance paperwork, just like any other job.

by Steve M 2008-01-30 10:35AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread
It's reality check time.  In less than 10 months we will decide on our Next President.  Which Dem nominee gives us or best chance for Victory?  I think its Hillary, even though everyone says she rallies the GOP to GOTV.  However, whats our alternative? Obama will not win in states like Florida or Ohio where the GOP has a slight lean.  McCain will win that election and then the MSM will now ask whether or not America is racist for backing  McCain over Obama.  Guys please just be honest with our current reality.  McCain will pull the Independents and "Regan Dems" over to his side. This leaves us with another 4 years of disparity.
What say You???
by nzubechukwu 2008-01-30 10:13AM | 0 recs
Re: John Edwards New Orleans Speech Thread

Universal health care, getting out of Iraq quickly, fair tax policies, curbing the influence of corporations in politics, reducing our dependency on oil--are "radical" ideas? Most Americans are actually in favor of these positions. But our conservative-dominated media and government want you to think those positions are radical so you'll be afraid of anyone who actually bases a campaign on them.

by jeffbinnc 2008-01-30 10:37AM | 0 recs
He is a former Senator.

I imagine that confirmation process would be pretty easy.

Although demographically, i'm not sure if he'd be the best choice, idealogically he's a home run.

by neutron 2008-01-30 10:40AM | 0 recs