Why MyDD Isn't Free

Bumped -- got lost in primary night shuffle a bit. Thanks, Matt! - Todd

Hi, I'm dipping my toe back in the water here at MyDD for a brief moment.  In June, Chris and I launched OpenLeft to explore politics in a more explicitly ideological direction.  Since we left, Todd has come on board here, and Jonathan has really put his stamp on this place.  I miss posting here, but it is a different place now, one that the two of them (and Jerome) have really created along with all of you.  They took MyDD, which if I may say so was a great blog, and have made it simply indispensable.

Now, I could go on and talk about how awesome they are, but that's not the point of this post.  Blogging the way they do, with 50K people screaming every day about how they are biased against one candidate or issue or another, while going on the road and doing interviews and constantly scanning the news, is hard.  It's really damned hard.  It's also incredibly fun, which is why they do it and why all of us are here and write diaries and whatnot.  But it doesn't really pay the bills, and it's axiomatic of our society that there's no such thing as a free lunch.

The reason the corporate media is so shitty is because it's free.  NBC and CBS and Fox News don't charge you anything for their content, because you are the product that they sell to soap companies and car companies and defense contractors.  They don't really care about the truth and they certainly don't care if you know what the truth is, because the truth to them isn't very profitable.  In fact, if NBC tells the truth about the war or the housing bubble, they may cost their defense contracting or financial services arm more money than they make in a whole year of advertising at CNBC.  You are their product, so while their content is free, it comes at the cost of systematic lying.

Blogs are different, but they are not immune from the golden rule, that he who has the gold makes the rules.  If you want Jonathan and Todd to be limited in what they can do, in the interviews they can get, in the places they can travel, then by all means keep them dependent on advertising from soap companies, movies, and progressive nonprofits.  I can assure though that content on MyDD that you consume every single day will suffer in ways you will never notice, but that will be immensely costly to all of our understanding of politics and ability to affect change.

If you believe, as I do, that quality in content is important and that it is way more expensive in the long-run to consume lies for free than to pay for truth today, drop $50 in the kitty for Jonathan and Todd. Truth, like our democracy, is only sustainable if we fight for it, and sometimes that means investing in the people who are obsessed with bringing us news, content, and often original information with a deep sense of integrity.

Let's keep this institution growing and flourishing, and together we will change the country as fundamentally over the next thirty years years as we have in the last five.

So please, throw them some coin, and thanks for letting me come back for a moment.

Tags: Jonathan Singer, MyDD, Todd Beeton (all tags)

Comments

Re: Why MyDD Isn't Free

I would drop 50 bucks in a second, or even twice that amount, if this place was dedicated to truth.  But all one has to do is look at the place to know this is the place one can come go spread falsehoods, misinformation, and outright lies.  This is a place where a lot of the space is devoted to trying to stop the lies and/or to spin one mistruth into an opposing mistruth.  I don't know what you've been reading but it is a far different impression I get coming here.

by Piuma 2008-01-29 02:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Why MyDD Isn't Free

Yes, clearly we need to be more like Daily Kos, where every day you can read 101 reasons why the Clintons are racist.

by Steve M 2008-01-29 02:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Why MyDD Isn't Free

One would hope there are more than two choices, this in its present form and DKos, as to what a place could or should be.

by Piuma 2008-01-29 02:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Why MyDD Isn't Free

Well, earlier I saw you link to a DKos diary presenting the pro-Obama spin on Rezko as the "truth," thus I figured you saw DKos as truthier than this place.

If you really want the mods to aggressively police comments for truth, particularly if we're going to follow the Obama Rules ("if Obama explains what he really meant... you MUST accept it!") then you're going to have to donate a lot more cash, I think.

by Steve M 2008-01-29 02:39PM | 0 recs
Re: Why MyDD Isn't Free

I found that particular diary which was well researched and referenced and presents the opposing opinions fairly while rebuffing them, a lot more "truthier" than the bulk of the comments in the diary here. Yes.  On the whole I don't know.

But your response and Jerome's deleted one is part of the problem here.  Anything I say is immediately represented as something to do with Obama and the attacks become personal to my character. And you can pretty much just replace Obama and me for any candidate and supporter and you have in a nutshell the modus operandi of this place.  My opinion on how websites should conduct themselves and the damage that the Intenet does daily to a concept of Truth, has been forged entirely by my participation on a site called NYFS and nothing to do with Obama.

by Piuma 2008-01-29 02:59PM | 0 recs
Re: Why MyDD Isn't Free

It is YOUR version of the truth, when in reality most of what you object to so strongly is just opposing opinions.   Obviously this site is frequented and read by a ton of people, contrary to your constant claims that it is withering away and "going to die":

http://www.sitemeter.com/default.asp?act ion=stats&site=s12mydddotcom&rep ort=33

Finally, whatever your personal opinion or gripes, it is highly unseemly to come into a well written process diary and without a modicum of respect for the hard work involved in running this site crap right into it.    If you  hate it so much here, what is stopping you from moving on and perhaps starting your own political blog?

by georgep 2008-01-29 10:50PM | 0 recs

Stoller!

Thanks. Now give us your predictions-- on the double ;)

Spot on post.

by Jerome Armstrong 2008-01-29 02:08PM | 0 recs

Like I know anything.

Romney over McCain by 34-32

by Matt Stoller 2008-01-29 02:40PM | 0 recs
Re: Why MyDD Isn't Free

i'll give u 25 bucks tonight if you put up a results thread!

by sepulvedaj3 2008-01-29 02:19PM | 0 recs

It's coming soon!

by Jonathan Singer 2008-01-29 02:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Why MyDD Isn't Free

I have long participated in a baseball forum which has a very rigid set of standards when it comes to information relating to things of importance.  If something is presented as fact which is not verifiable it is subject to being deleted.  If a person does it often in a brazen attempt to continually misinform the community, they are banned.  It is strict, but it shows a dedication to the truth and has been well worth the support of the community who understands that part of what they are purchasing with their support is a higher set of standards than set on other sites.  This place is private property which you let us on to.  The idea of a set of standards to express a sense of communal responsibility is not censorship.

by Piuma 2008-01-29 02:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Why MyDD Isn't Free

This comment was addressed to a comment by Jerome which has magically disappeared.

by Piuma 2008-01-29 02:24PM | 0 recs

thanks, matt!

by Todd Beeton 2008-01-29 02:25PM | 0 recs
Done

And while we're at it, the mechanism for taking funds via credit card works really shitty.  Three times it just crashed and all the data I'd typed in disappeared.  Which doesn't make you feel real good when the information that disappeared can be used to rip me off.

In any event, I also find MyDD (and Open Left) indispensable and certainly worth paying for.  No better political analysis anywhere.

by kaleidescope 2008-01-29 02:34PM | 0 recs
Re: Why MyDD Isn't Free

I gave a piddling amount yesterday, and have sent your terrific post + link on to many people. Hope it helps!  MyDD has become essential to me.

And it's an oasis of balance and sanity.

by susanhu 2008-01-29 03:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Why MyDD Isn't Free

Well Matt - I have a problem with some of the front pagers complete lack on integrity regarding the Clintons- i.e. posting pro-Clinton hit pieces on Obama, etc.

Fix that and you may see some more money coming in someday.

by jgkojak 2008-01-29 04:24PM | 0 recs

I have been warned.

Go Clinton.  Whoohoo.

by jgkojak 2008-01-29 07:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Why MyDD Isn't Free

I thought that was dead-on satire.

by BingoL 2008-01-30 05:06AM | 0 recs
Re: Why MyDD Isn't Free

I've been reading this blog since the 2004 cycle, and it honestly was a hell of a lot better when Jerome was a main frontpage poster.  It's been kind of painful to see the slow degeneration into some sort of Hillary suicide cult, and it's clearly going to get a lot uglier.

You've got ads all over the place; asking for money and throwing out the figure $50 seems like it takes some nerve to me.  I don't ever remember the funding problems when this was a decent site.

by mddem456 2008-01-29 11:56PM | 0 recs

Holy crap.

MyDD.com is a great site filled with lots of wild divergent positions and some trolls. Some positions I agree with, some not so much. And the trolls are well, either annoying or amusingly inept. I am uplifted when someone posts an inciteful piece, often when I agree with it, but, aw shucks and garsh, even when I don't. These sites are our way of sharing not just information but community.

Go progressives. Go left! Go team.

I clicked on the link not to discuss, but to thank Matt for supporting mydd, even in it's post-Matt state. I found instead a troll fest, "I can't support any blog that allows me to be a member! Opinions like mine can't be supported!"

So feh, be good little boychiks and stop yr whining, and if yr a troll, go home shave the bristle off that facial mole and post at a site that gets all upset by trollfugglieness.

Anyway here's my original intent.

Thanks Matt! You're a good egg! (Even if I don't always agree with you or get where you're coming from)

I imaging this place like a party where the drinks flow freely and the discussion is wild, AND a bunch of toads, cockroaches and varmints, dressed up like people, gnashing bile-filled almost opinions at us, as we roll our eyes and continue talking about pushing, developing and achieving a progressive agenda.

by inexile 2008-01-30 01:40AM | 0 recs