MyDD Candidate Bloggers

A while back, after Chris and Matt moved onto Open Left, I mentioned an idea I wanted to try here on MyDD that would bring on committed supporters to the frontpage as authors. So next week it starts, here are the MyDD bloggers for their respective candidate:

Clinton (Monday): georgep, hwc

Edwards (Tuesday): david mizner, desmoinesdem

Obama (Wednesday): psericks, Max Fletcher

Richardson (Thursday): Trey Rentz

Dodd (Thursday): Big Tent Democrat

It's an impressive list of bloggers that we'll have. They'll each be able to make one post each on those days.  I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out. I don't have a Biden blogger, or any of the others, which is fine.

It's going to start it off with asking them all to introduce themselves by blogging why they are for their candidate; then, to assess how their candidate has done to date (ie., what's been the moments of the campaign strategy, as you see it, that standout). After the intro week, this process hopefully will be community-driven for the most part, and work in the weeks events. We'll try and post something later in each week to solicit ideas for the following week's questions/frameworks.

Just a few notes: No, they don't have to be all positive. Yes, they can have conflict and call out other candidate differences; hopefully with more wit than bite, and fair. These are going to be partisan perspectives, opinions, blog posts.

Another bit-- the original idea for this came from The Note in mid 2003 of so, when they started soliciting 'blog posts' from each of the presidential campaigns at the time to include in their morning offering. It didn't last long. Trippi was way into it, and Mathew Gross smoked the competition for Dean, and by a week or so, all the other candidates cried uncle for The Note to stop doing it. It seemed painful for Gephardt's people especially. But with decentralized supporters handling the reigns, it's worth trying in this venue, maybe original and fun, so lets give it a shot.

Update [2007-8-10 12:57:37 by Jerome Armstrong]:Transplanted Texan is going to do Biden on Thursday.

Tags: MyDD (all tags)

Comments

Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

How do you get this gig?

by Democraticavenger 2007-08-09 09:04PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

I'm under the impression the campaigns recruited their own bloggers.

by Nathan Empsall 2007-08-10 06:48AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

Wrong impression ... although BTD has been a tremendous voice (often in the wilderness) supporting the Dodd campaign when the Senator's actions merited such support.

Tim

by Tim Tagaris 2007-08-10 07:26AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

It may very with the campaigns. I was asked by the Biden campaign itself this morning, so assumed it was that way across the board. Guess I was wrong, it happens. :(

by Nathan Empsall 2007-08-10 08:36AM | 0 recs

Hey Tim:

Where's my check?

by Big Tent Democrat 2007-08-10 08:56AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

Congrats, kids.  I know you'll all do well for your candidates.

by Denny Crane 2007-08-09 09:05PM | 0 recs
Jerome, you're awesome.

You really allow support for all the candidates here.  That is rare on the blogosphere(especially for us Hillary supporters).  Thanks, I'm really excited about this.

by bookgrl 2007-08-09 09:12PM | 0 recs
so awesome it's postitively MSM!

I could be shooting myself in the foot here, but I never figured bloggers for people who sugar-coat things, so sod it.  You might notice that all your so-called "top tier" candidates get TWO bloggers, while the seasoned experts at the back of the bus only get one apiece.  If I'm wrong, my bad, and if there are reasons, well, I hope they're better than CNN's.

But you know, good for your girl Hillary.  I know she really needed the help!

by shelbinator 2007-08-10 11:32AM | 0 recs
Re: so awesome it's postitively MSM!

I'd be for two bloggers for every candidate.

by bookgrl 2007-08-10 01:16PM | 0 recs
Re: so awesome it's postitively MSM!

You misunderstand. I am better than two of any other candidate's bloggers . . .

Heh.

by Big Tent Democrat 2007-08-10 03:56PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

this is great, Georgep and hwc will do a great job.

Why was areyouready overlooked ?, ha ha

by lori 2007-08-09 09:20PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

What was the criteria , I would like to know .

by lori 2007-08-09 09:21PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

The bloggers were chosen by the campaigns themselves.

by Nathan Empsall 2007-08-10 06:43AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

Scratch that. I was asked by the Biden folks this morning, but it appears Jerome asked most of the folks himself.

by Nathan Empsall 2007-08-10 08:39AM | 0 recs
LOL!

Great line.  It deserves a recommendation.

by TomP 2007-08-10 06:15AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

I nominate Transplanted Texan to blog for Biden, if he's still around. Usually his posts focus on Katrina, and I will add are too often overlooked, but he's provided me a solid pitch for Biden.

I must ask, were the campaigns' officials bloggers invited to do this?

by domma 2007-08-09 09:35PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

He does some good posts on Katrina, he would make a good addition for Biden.

by robliberal 2007-08-09 09:38PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

Aww, thanks guys, now I feel special. :) Thanks for thinking of me.

I have been somewhat MIA from MyDD for awhile, but I was just contacted by someone at the Biden campaign, and I accepted. They'll be contacting Jerome today, I imagine.

by Nathan Empsall 2007-08-10 06:44AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

You know after tonight I don't think Richardson deserves a blogger on the front page , maybe they should scrap the pick for Richardson and give it to Hillary so she has 3 .

Another suggestion I think the number of days deserved by each candidate should correspond with polling. Since Hillary has twice a lead over Obama She deserves twice the number of days i.e. 2 days.
Edwards is in the teens so he deserves 1/2 a day , Obama in low 20's he deserves 1 day and Richardson and Dodd do not appear even within the MOE , they deserve an hr shared between the both of them.

by lori 2007-08-09 09:39PM | 0 recs

get real.

by KainIIIC 2007-08-09 10:24PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

VERY reasonable suggestions. Somehow I don't think many of the folks here will agree with you. But I can't imagine why ;-}

by DoIT 2007-08-10 04:31AM | 0 recs

This comment is silly.

by iamready 2007-08-10 07:06AM | 0 recs
bad math is still bad math

Since when did the blogosphere become the place to adopt the MSM's worst practices?  (And can you remember what Hillary's husband was polling in August of 1991?)

by shelbinator 2007-08-10 11:38AM | 0 recs
Hey, Jerome, I think you should

let a woman front page about Hillary once in a while as well.  We are her core supporters.

by bookgrl 2007-08-09 09:38PM | 0 recs
Re: Hey, Jerome, I think you should

That's a very good point.

by domma 2007-08-09 10:31PM | 0 recs
Re: Hey, Jerome, I think you should

That is an excellent suggestion!

by DoIT 2007-08-10 04:31AM | 0 recs
georgep was toiling in the MyDD trenches

Long before I ever saw you post here.

by desmoinesdem 2007-08-10 06:46AM | 0 recs
Re: georgep was toiling in the MyDD trenches

What does that have to do with what I commented on?

by bookgrl 2007-08-10 06:48AM | 0 recs
Re: Hey, Jerome, I think you should

I believe the campaigns themselves picked their respective bloggers.

by Nathan Empsall 2007-08-10 06:49AM | 0 recs
Re: Hey, Jerome, I think you should

Speaking for myself here, that is incorrect.  I was contacted by Jerome Armstrong via email.  He explained the project he had in mind and asked me if I could recommend someone else for a second Hillary-supporter blog spot.  I picked hwc because he has been rather active for a while now and provides solid posting.  I also mentioned Robliberal as a choice.   Nothing "chosen by the campaigns" about this process at all.

I have no knowledge about the other poster's affiliations, but I can vouch for myself and hwc (as he was a random choice) as not being affiliated in any way.

by georgep 2007-08-10 07:15AM | 0 recs
I am also just a volunteer

and to my knowledge, the Edwards campaign played no role in recommending me for this gig. I also just got an e-mail invitation from Jerome.

by desmoinesdem 2007-08-10 07:19AM | 0 recs
Re: I am also just a volunteer

Ok, guess I was wrong. I was asked by the Biden campaign itself this morning, so assumed it was that way across the board. Mea culpa.

by Nathan Empsall 2007-08-10 08:37AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

Good selections!  Looking forward to hearing people out.

by markjay 2007-08-09 09:38PM | 0 recs

I think this sucks, IMHO

by Bob Brigham 2007-08-09 09:39PM | 0 recs

And why is that?

by Denny Crane 2007-08-10 09:30AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

welcome aboard! really looking forward to this.

by Todd Beeton 2007-08-09 10:01PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

Thrilled that Georgep and hwc are up for Hillary.  Georgep has impressed me from the very start of coming to the site.  A tireless foot soldier, I don't know what we would do without him, he can always be counted on to defend against the blatant attacks and misconceptions Hillary is faced with- it's nice to see him getting some recognition for this, as well as hwc- I have no doubt they will both represent Hillary supporters well.

by reasonwarrior 2007-08-09 10:04PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

Yes! I'm excited to read their posts.

by domma 2007-08-10 10:21AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

Can't say I think this is a good idea, given how vituperative and insubstantial the majority of discussions in candidate diaries have been to date.

But then, obviously, it's not my site.  Hope this works out better than I think it will.

by Jay R 2007-08-09 10:23PM | 0 recs
Well, I probably wouldn't be

so negative.  How about we would like some substantive diaries about the candidates?

by bookgrl 2007-08-09 10:27PM | 0 recs
Re: Well, I probably wouldn't be

Even the better diaries seem to be incubators for pie fights.  Up until now, it's mostly stayed off the front page.  Now...well, like I said, I'm hoping for better than I'm expecting.

by Jay R 2007-08-09 11:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Well, I probably wouldn't be

If I can't be negative about other candidates I might have to sob for a while. It's too much fun.

by DoIT 2007-08-10 06:31AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

There's some validity to that, but I think most of the rancor comes from a handful os posters who can't seem to mind their manners - we all know who they are, so I won't mention any names.  All of the folks who were picked for this assignment have risen above the name calling and specious claims that some around here make on a regular basis.  They're all solid people who don't write hit pieces and genuinely want to relay information about their respective candidates.

They can't control what happens in the comments on their diaries, but I'm certain that they'll all be responsible when writing their diaries.

by Denny Crane 2007-08-10 09:34AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

Where was the application form for this? I didn't see it anywhere.

by bsavage 2007-08-09 10:28PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

I received an email from Jerome asking me if I was interested in this project.  He asked me if I could recommend one other poster, so I mentioned hwc, but it could have been any number of fine Hillary-bloggers, quite honestly.

Brkgirl, I have no problem giving my spot up every once in a while for a guest blog from a woman supporter, if that sounds good to you (and if that is ok with Jerome.)  We should probably coordinate the timing of this.

by georgep 2007-08-09 10:45PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

...that should have been bookgrl.

by georgep 2007-08-09 10:48PM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

Congratulations! I'm jealous, green with envy in fact. :)

by Ernst 2007-08-10 02:02AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

CONGRATS GEORGE AND HWC...

by Kingstongirl 2007-08-10 04:03AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

Oh yeah, that would be great.  And, it doesn't have to be me at all, any of the woman supporters here would do an excellent jb.  Let's see what you guys do first.  I look forward to both of your posts.  You are both great writers.

by bookgrl 2007-08-10 07:42AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

Is this why I had an "write a new entry" button above the "write a new Diary" button yesterday?

by Ernst 2007-08-10 01:53AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

Just for kicks, how about a Gore blogger?

by azizhp 2007-08-10 02:20AM | 0 recs

This is a huge step forward.  Will this mean that Todd Beeton does not front page for Obama also?

by dk2 2007-08-10 03:28AM | 0 recs

Excellent choices all.

by DoIT 2007-08-10 04:28AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

Great idea, and generally great authors.

It never amazes me how people are never happy with what they get.  "Give Hillary two days because she has the lead."  lol

by Vox Populi 2007-08-10 05:34AM | 0 recs
for what it's worth

I would suggest having a standard line at the top of these posts to identify that the author is a partisan of a particular candidate, for the benefit especially of newcomers to the site. For example:

david mizner is MyDD's "John Edwards" blogger

While the regular frontpagers on MyDD may of course also have their own favorite candidates, clearly the regulars were not brought on board by the publisher because of these biases toward particular candidates, but despite them.  Since the editorial role of regular frontpagers at MyDD is different from the editorial role of the new bloggers, I think some sort of identifying tagline might be useful.

by Rob in Vermont 2007-08-10 05:41AM | 0 recs
Re: for what it's worth

I agree. Good point.

by Ernst 2007-08-10 07:17AM | 0 recs
Kucinich doesn't

even get honorable mention? I guess only the best-known 'brands' will get the attention here.  DK polls higher than HC on liberal/progressive blogs like DKos. Has MyDD decided we should start ignoring him now?

by GFORD 2007-08-10 06:13AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

Wow, this is great. Nice to find Hillary supporters' voice to be heard !!

by areyouready 2007-08-10 06:13AM | 0 recs
If this works

Could you throw in a "Non-Presidential Friday" sort of thing? As I've mentioned in the past, I'm worried that Senate, House, and Gubernatorial races can sometimes neglected on this site. A weekly spotlight on a different down-ticket race might help, and I'm sure you could find MyDD bloggers eager to write about their local races.

Though, I do really appreciate seeing Senate2008Guru on the front page. That's a great addition, and I'd love to see more.

by Fitzy 2007-08-10 06:53AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

What's the Male-Female ratio?

by Adam B 2007-08-10 07:45AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

As far as I can tell, desmoinesdem is the only woman.

by clarkent 2007-08-10 08:04AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

That's a shame.  If "annefrank" is a woman, maybe sub her in for David Mizner?

by Adam B 2007-08-10 08:30AM | 0 recs
Yeah, wouldn't you love that?

Desmoines Dem and I are gonna have a nice good cop-bad cop routine. Guess who's who?

by david mizner 2007-08-10 08:45AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

Yeah, because you're a big fan, right?

by clarkent 2007-08-10 09:38AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

I'd like all the representation to be diverse; this was just one idea that occurred to me.  I certainly don't see the Edwards folks criticizing "anne".

by Adam B 2007-08-10 10:25AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

A great idea, and I'm looking forward to it.  I can even buy the idea that Gravel is excluded (although I like him personally), since his campaign is arguably less serious than the others.

I don't see any justification at for excluding, Kucinich, though.  He is arguably more popular than Dodd and Biden, and clearly more progressive.

by Lex 2007-08-10 08:13AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

sad to say but I agree there. kucinich has as much chance in this election as the tooth fairy has becoming secretary of the interior and santa claus making it to the head of the house judiciary committee

There are supporters for kucinich out there.  its just that they go out of touch when the ship they're sailing the antartic on, goes out of radio range past the cape of good hope.

but man, if penguins could vote...

by Trey Rentz 2007-08-10 08:40AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

If penguins could vote, we'd have a President Inhofe so that the polar bears would keep drowning. :P

by Nathan Empsall 2007-08-10 08:45AM | 0 recs
Not a chance?

There were lots of experts who said that about the dems 50-state strategy in '06.  But some people didn't listen and aren't we happy they didn't?

I reserved my support for any primary candidate, as I'm sure a lot of people do, until I watched the debates and saw more of what their positions were on issues.  I went in thinking Obama would be the guy for me but I came out thinking -- why doesn't Kucinich get a fair shake in the media?
If we write him off this early in the game, he definitely won't have a chance...the only true progressive on the slate will be pushed aside. What is it, a packaging problem?  Bad suits?  Just don't get it.

by GFORD 2007-08-10 10:15AM | 0 recs
Heh

Dodd (Thursday): Big Tent Democrat

That should be interesting.

by MNPundit 2007-08-10 08:45AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

I got most of the bloggers from the original thread, in the comments, a few others I asked for rec's from various people, but this isn't a campaign thing, and these bloggers are not representatives from their campaigns.

by Jerome Armstrong 2007-08-10 09:01AM | 0 recs
Re: MyDD Candidate Bloggers

Thanks for the clarification, and my apologies for causing confusion upthread.

by Nathan Empsall 2007-08-10 09:30AM | 0 recs
Nobody's covering Kucinich?

Why is that? He's a major party candidate just like everyone else. Why wasn't he put on the list? I think he would be another great addition!
by Brattlerouser 2007-08-10 09:31AM | 0 recs
Re: Nobody's covering Kucinich?

What evidence can you show to back that assertion up?

He's as legit as any of the others.

by Brattlerouser 2007-08-10 03:12PM | 0 recs
I don't think his campaign

would see it that way.  Sure, he's a little elf but dammit he's OUR little elf.  30 years of public service fighting for progressive causes and we dismiss him like this.  I'm ashamed of us.

by GFORD 2007-08-10 06:00PM | 0 recs