Thoughts About YouTube

It looks like the GOP YouTube debate is a bust.  The partisan Democrat in me is of course happy see see the GOP show it's true colors.  Is anyone surprised that most of the Republican field fears having to answer questions submitted by ordinary Americans?  But I also crave opportunities to get people reengaged in the political process, no matter what their affiliation. For that reason I'm disappointed that the Republican debate may not happen.

YouTube has given politics a much needed adrenaline boost.  From Macaca moments to candidate spotlights activists and politicians are finding new and innovative ways to utilize the power of viral video.  Much like blogging the barrier to entry is low, but short videos have a even broader reach.  YouTube is possibly the most powerful tool in an online political activist's arsenal.

Are the Republican candidates trying to neuter YouTube and it's impact?  I wonder.  But of course in the long run their efforts will only make YouTube, and those who engage in politics via viral video, even more relevant.

Tags: 2008 elections, Youtube, YouTube debates (all tags)

Comments

Re: Thoughts About YouTube

If the Republicans pull out I would like to see the Democrats do another one in their place. We actually want to debate the issues. It would be a great way to show that the Republicans are not a party of, by or for the people.

by Tommy Twolicks 2007-07-28 12:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Thoughts About YouTube

I believe GOP candidates are making huge mistake, not only by skipping this debate.

I read somewhere they planned far fewer debates than democrats. Debates and their aftermath are great free media for candidate to get introduced to the voting population. All those GOP contenders are not well known, I have no idea why they will adopt this strange strategy.

I have to say Hillary has benefited tremedously from these debates. Even as a fan of her, I was lukewarm at the beginning. But she has really 'refined' herself in the eyes of many people including me. She is now leading Rudy by 28% to 20% in a survey of who's strongest on national security. Who could believe this a few months ago? Those debates have definitely helped her a lot.

On the contrary, those GOP contenders continue to be under radar screen. It makes them look like second-tier to the general voting population.

They are really dumb.

by areyouready 2007-07-28 12:08PM | 0 recs
Re: Thoughts About YouTube

what is wrong with those people? who ever the dem nominee is they are going to demand a debate like than in the general election, they debate on fox news but can't answer questions from real voters on you tube?

by nevadadem 2007-07-28 12:25PM | 0 recs
Romney, for one, had a lot to lose
I can imagine a string of YouTube videos challenging Romney on his past statements on social issues.  And there's a lot of video on YouTube already for people to work with.  I can see him backing down.
And Giulliani might have faced a firefighter question.
It only shows that they have a lot to run from.
by psericks 2007-07-28 12:28PM | 0 recs
Broadcast?

So, I've seen a bunch on ads on CNN for this debate. Will they still air it if only a couple B-List GOP candidates show up?

What will be the fall out for the GOP from CNN/You-Tube if the GOP backs out?

by michael in chicago 2007-07-28 12:43PM | 0 recs
Re: Thoughts About YouTube

Gee, if they're too afraid of You Tube then how are they going to fight al-qaeda?

by jannakc 2007-07-28 12:51PM | 0 recs
Redstate really wants them to participate in it

http://www.redstate.com/stories/election s/2008/save_the_republican_youtube_debat e

If they're smart, they'll listen.

So odds are no republican youtube debate.

by Terryus 2007-07-28 12:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Thoughts About YouTube

I read that CNN/Google was trying to salvage it in any way possible, which raises some questions about their non-partisnship in this effort, if they are willing to bend further than they did for the Democrats, in their zeal to make sure the Republicans catch up on the learning curve alongside Democrats.

by Jerome Armstrong 2007-07-28 04:04PM | 0 recs
Mitt Romney...

criticized the "decorum" of the Democratic debate and questioned the "seriousness" of the questions. Clearly, the man is not fond of creativity so how can he be President?

The only one not being serious about the issues is him.

It's time for him to start heading back to the mansion and while he's on the road, if he wants to double Guantanamo so bad, he can do it himself, and maybe he'll remember to let the dog out to piss this time.

by pbcliberaldem 2007-07-28 06:57PM | 0 recs
Re: Thoughts About YouTube

It's gotta be said.

I've heard it said by many conservatives how Democrats were afraid of Fox News.

So this begs the question: Why are conservatives so afraid of technophiles?  Or better yet, democracy?  Anyone can send questions in to this.  It was a promising format, and while I had a few problems w/it (the many softballs, the clear Edwards hit w/the priest), I found it overall an enjoyable 2 hours.

And add into that their rejection of the NAACP forum.  I think it's far more relevant that a political party is shunning an entire ethnicity, and an entire internet phenomenon than a network who makes its living off of destroying them in the case of Fox News.

by takingbackamerica 2007-07-28 09:47PM | 0 recs
pbcliberaldem.....

I just wonder now when we'll hear Mitt Romney say it was a great debate format, and he'd be glad to participate.

This would follow his career flip-flopping pattern.

by takingbackamerica 2007-07-28 09:48PM | 0 recs
Re: Thoughts About YouTube

I scan You Tube's "most viewed" list fairly often. When you see a political or news related video here it is most often left leaning. Just yesterday, an Edward's video had 60,000 hits ranking it near the top of the list. From a partisan stand point let the GOP stay away, their schtick does just not work online. Too many informed voters.

by padcrasher 2007-07-29 08:04AM | 0 recs