Jet Blue on drugs

I can't imagine a worse way to handle this than Jet Blue's CEO backing out of the Yearly Kos event with a letter that characterizes Daily Kos as being a "hateful" website:

Thank you for contacting JetBlue with your comment. We have been surprised and disappointed that the donation of JetBlue travel (10 tickets total) to a bloggers convention has been misinterpreted as support and/or agreement with a politically centered website we have absolutely no connection with.

As a company we take no stand on any political issues save those directly related to air transportation issues.

From my personal perspective the issue is quite straightforward. Our marketing team made a decision to donate 10 airline tickets to an annual convention of bloggers. JetBlue was one of 23 groups to donate items and thus 'sponsor' the YearlyKos convention. JetBlue will have no presence at the conference or any other involvement with the YearlyKos event. We have NO INVOLVEMENT with DailyKos or anything said or represented on that website.

Our workforce of roughly 11,000 consists of a huge variety of backgrounds and belief systems. I was personally completely unaware of the existence of DailyKos prior to news connecting the YearlyKos convention and thus our airline ticket donation to DailyKos. I personally have never condoned and abhor anything hateful towards anyone and am fully confident that JetBlue's crewmembers share this view.

We certainly hope that the sweeping generalizations connecting JetBlue to a political stand will be recognized as exaggeration and with no basis in fact.

Dave Barger

CEO, JetBlue Airways

This joker clearly doesn't understand he just pissed off millions of people. If I were running YearlyKos, I would promote their "sponsorship" even more, and say FU, sue us.

Anyway... no such thing as bad publicity.

Update [2007-7-20 15:58:48 by Jerome Armstrong]:
And no such thing as bad list-building, Clinton adds a petition page to "Tell Bill O'Reilly to stop smearing grassroots progressives."

Tags: Jet Blue (all tags)

Comments

Re: Jet Blue on drugs

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what he's said.  This says it all:

by Doug Tuesday 2007-07-20 11:12AM | 0 recs
No, there is.

The implication here is clear, emphasis mine:

He is implicitly giving weight to the O'Reilly/Malkin claim that the views regularly expressed on Daily Kos are "hateful" and not to be "condoned." He didn't specifically write, "whoa, you guys are totally right -- dKos is a hate site," but that was the message he was stupidly trying to send.

by Scott Shields 2007-07-20 11:19AM | 0 recs
Re: No, there is.

Baloney. ANd there is hateful stuff on DailyKOS! Haven't you been there?

After all we hate Bush and the republicans and we write that stuff all the time!

Even the diary we are talking about here can be interpreted as hateful with his diplomatic FU.

Companies try to stay out of this stuff and I think thats the way to go. DailyKos should be grateful to JetBlue for the free tickets. End of story.

by lafinur 2007-07-20 11:32AM | 0 recs
Re: No, there is.

Only a corporate shill would characterize an FU to a company as hateful. A company is not a person.

by Jerome Armstrong 2007-07-20 11:54AM | 0 recs
Re: No, there is.

Oh now I'm a corporate shill?

I mean why namecall like that?

by lafinur 2007-07-20 12:04PM | 0 recs
People get pissed at companies all the time

I wouldn't characterize anyone that tells a company off as "hateful", you tell me what kind of person would?

by Jerome Armstrong 2007-07-20 12:18PM | 0 recs
Re: People get pissed at companies all the time

I didn't say that Jerome. I said people might interpret your use of FUCK YOU as being hateful and the truth is they might regardless of whether you are referring to a company or person! In any case there IS plenty of hateful stuff on this site and on dailykos. Politics is a contact sport. Heck many of the responses to my post could be characterized as hateful.

by lafinur 2007-07-25 07:24PM | 0 recs
Re: No, there is.

Because you sounded like one.

by pioneer111 2007-07-20 12:19PM | 0 recs
Re: No, there is.

Because you're too far away to dump a drink over your head?

(By the way, if anyone from the Loofah Man's squad is watching -- that was a joke, not a threat.)

by Major Danby 2007-07-20 06:20PM | 0 recs
Re: No, there is.

That's really not very fair. Companies are not people, but they deserve a fair shake just like anyone. Regardless of what they should have done in this situation, it's pretty clear that they've been turned into a political football. JetBlue's primary loyalty is with its shareholders. And judging from JetBlue's performance lately, the shareholders aren't very happy.

I don't think JetBlue asked for any of this. I wonder what they actually knew about YKos in the first place. That is, did they really know that YKos was an overtly partisan event or did they have cursory buzzword info like "a broad gathering of grassroots dedicated to positive change for America"?

Anyway, this is a bad situation all around. The only winner I can think of in this is Bill O'. Afterall, he's the only one peddling hate.

by bowiegeek 2007-07-21 12:54PM | 0 recs
Re: No, there is.

The company's executives reacted to Bill O, and, pretty much were thoughtless in their response, or worse, were thoughtful.  In any case they implied that Dkos was as Bill O said.  It is disingenuous of you to paint Dailykos with the characterization given by Bill O.

Are you a corporate shill?  And why are you defending JetBlue in their stupidity?

by pioneer111 2007-07-20 12:23PM | 0 recs
Re: No, there is.

I do not think Jet Blue did anything wrong.

Did you not get that the first two times I wrote it?

And grow up: cut it out with the corporate shill crap!

by lafinur 2007-07-25 07:22PM | 0 recs
I agree with you.

JetBlue bought O'Reilly's smear that Daily Kos was a doing something "hateful" or was a "hate group like the KKK."  One problem with that is people like John Kerry, John Edwards, Russ Feingold, Dick Durbin, Teddy Kennedy, and many more post diaries on that site.

O'Reilly may have intimidated a financially weak airline, but FoxNews still does not have any debates.  I'd say, advantage to the good guys.

I'm likely driving anyway.  I've never flown on Jet Blue, and their cowardice ensures I never will.

by TomP 2007-07-20 11:36AM | 0 recs
A bit of textual analysis, if I may
No, this is not the most elegantly worded letter, but (IMO) it is not as bad as people here seem to make it out.

He needs to phrase this better for sure. What this is supposed to say is that JetBlue gives away tickets as Advertising, not to indicate support.

Personally, I looked at the events supported by JetBlue, (look at their website - a selection of events are listed there) and whoever makes the support decisions for them has a progressive slant.

Seems straightforward to me. Again, he's saying that JetBlue does this for Advertising, not to indicate support of a position.

Once more, he's saying that JetBlue does this for Advertising, not to indicate support of a position.

Again, seems straightforward to me. He's saying that he, personally, is clue-free in re: DailyKos. This is not that surprising, since most Entrepreneurial businessmen I have known generally have the political awareness of your average rock in areas that do not directly concern their business.

Here is his major wording malfunction. This can be read to imply that DailyKos is a hate site. However, that's not what he says, or probably what he meant. It was, however, a response to BillOus' claim that DK was a hate site. If he did not address it directly, then BillOus could have kept harping about his support of a hate site.

You see, this could also be read as denying that DailyKos is a hate site. (I admit it's hard to read it that way with JetBlue's request to have the JetBlue logo removed from the YearlyKos Sponsor's page).

It's fully possible to be down on JetBlue for that action, without faulting them for this letter (which is where I am). I'll be sending another letter to the marketing dep't, retracting my statement of support for JetBlue. But this letter is not why I'm doing that. Their actions are the reason.

Hmph. Standard ending for this type of corporate press announcement. Nope! Nothing to see here! Please continue buying our tickets! Have a nice day!

And, although they aren't a "sponsor" anyomore, I do notice that they apparently didn't ask for their tickets back. Seems that they're not *that* upset about things, after all. It's just marketing-driven drivel... sort of like the candidates who allow their press people to dictate their messages fall into.

by Vancouverite 2007-07-20 05:32PM | 0 recs
One could interpret that

as containing an additional implicit clause, to wit: "of course, we are making any sort of assertion as to whether the content of DailyKos is or is not hateful."

If that's what JetBlue's Prez wants to say, let him now say it openly, and then I can accept that he wasn't accepting the absurd spin that DKos is a "hate site."

by Major Danby 2007-07-20 06:23PM | 0 recs
Hillary Clinton has the most

Hillary Clinton has the most aggressive push back. They are now launching a full front page petition on behalf of dailykos. Go Hillary!! Smart!!!

If Obama does not want 'netroots', Hillary certainly won't mind taking it.
http://www.hillaryclinton.com/action/ore illy/?sc=8

by areyouready 2007-07-20 11:20AM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

There is nothing wrong with Jet Blue's stance. All companies should have that stand.

by lafinur 2007-07-20 11:28AM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

You don't work PR for JetBlue by any chance, do you?

I ask because you and the JetBlue communications team seem to be the only people who think that going from having one group of sedentary television viewers angry with you to having hundreds of thousands of activists mad at you is a step in the right direction.

JetBlue needs to be firing some flacks, because this is the most inept corporate PR operation I've seen since Exxon in the late '80s.

by Jay R 2007-07-20 12:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

I'm not even going to dignify that with an asnwer.

JetBlue is trying to be neutral and thats the way it should be. Perhaps there is a word or two in there that is wrong but nothing to merit this kind of broo ha ha. Jet Blue is not Bill O'Reilly.

If you look for enemies everywhere you will find them!

by lafinur 2007-07-20 12:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

No, they aren't.  Pulling support from one side in response to demands from another is not neutrality.

And trying to split the baby is a terribly inept public relations strategy, because it never works out well for the guy holding the sword.

by Jay R 2007-07-20 01:24PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

If JetBlue is trying to be neutral it is doing a miserable job.

"I was personally completely unaware of the existence of DailyKos prior to news connecting the YearlyKos convention and thus our airline ticket donation to DailyKos. I personally have never condoned and abhor anything hateful towards anyone and am fully confident that JetBlue's crewmembers share this view."

If he wanted to be neutral he could have just said something like "We do not mean to sponsor YearlyKos becuse we try to be politically neutral."  That would have been neutral.  Insinuating that a huge group of people is "hateful" is NOT neutral.  I don't do this kind of thing too often, but I will be writing an email to JetBlue.

by balloot 2007-07-20 08:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

You are either a corporate shill or a concern troll unilateral disarmament type.  At least I'd actually respect a corporate shill for having guts.

Stop kowtowing and being a winp and stand up to these guys.  That's all they respond to is guts.

by jgarcia 2007-07-20 12:30PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

What a hateful post. You prove my point. There is hateful stuff on this site otherwise how to explain this ridiculous attack? Shame on you.

by lafinur 2007-07-25 07:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs
If you believe JetBlue wants to be neutral then you should press them to pull their ads from FOX News.
by sephis1977 2007-07-20 02:49PM | 0 recs
Is this the same CEO who has an airline

that leaves people stranded on runways for 28 hours?

He perhaps needs to worry a little more about the nuts and bolts of running his shitty little airline than he needs to worry about pissing off O'Bullshit's 60+ demographic who doesn't fly anywhere CLOSE to the numbers of the DKos' much younger audience.

I will never ever fly them again.  Ever.

by jgarcia 2007-07-20 11:45AM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

It is diaries like this and some of the comments which will forever doom Progressive politics and their ideas to always be considered fringe.  They believe in the unfairness doctrine as long as it swings their way.  They leap to embrace superficial support if it props up their ego.  Hillary cares enough about us to take on Bill O'Reilly who cares if she voted for the War and is for NAFTA.  It's quite remarkable.

by Doug Tuesday 2007-07-20 11:49AM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

Yep, it's diaries like this and not ideological rigidity and intransigence like your comment that will doom the movement.  Good call.

by Jay R 2007-07-20 12:08PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

It's pussy surrender comments like yours that will forever cast our party into the losers that we were in 2004 and 2000.

If you ran Kerry's campaign, we would have lost 49 states.

by jgarcia 2007-07-20 12:28PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

Errrr, wasn't George Soros one of the original big financiers of JetBlue?

I've flown them before.  Great airline.  Good service.  Huuuuuuge legroom in coach, which is much appreciated because I'm 6-5.  And they have the cool TV screens on the backs of all the seats, so even if you are stranded on the runway for hours, you don't care because you're narcotized by DirectTV and 20 channels of XM, all free.

by gas28man 2007-07-20 11:53AM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

Confirmed. SEC filings from April show Soros with an 11.5 percent stake in the airline.

Also, founder David Neeleman stepped down as CEO in May, but remains as Chairman. David Barger is now CEO.  I know nothing about Barger or his politics.

by gas28man 2007-07-20 12:02PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

I should add that the cool TV screens show just two news channels, IIRC, CNN and Fox.  If O'Reilly keeps it up, they should drop Fox from the channel lineup, and pick up MSNBC.

In fact, this is a way we can get involved in this.  Write to JetBlue and encourage them to drop Fox from their inflight channels, and tell'em you want Olbermann!!

by gas28man 2007-07-20 12:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

Yeah, I don't actually have a problem with JetBlue's stance (it seems pretty neutral to me), but I'm in favor of any event that helps us organize better as a movement and flex some economic muscle.  So yeah, keep stirring that pot.

by Steve M 2007-07-20 11:56AM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

It is pretty neutral, just stupid of them to add in there "hateful"-- that's not neutral.

by Jerome Armstrong 2007-07-20 12:00PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

Eh.. pardon me for addressing you Jerome but there is hateful stuff on Daily Kos... regularly. As there is on this site too! I mean just other day I wrote "Liebermann makes me want to puke" while he was speaking in Congress. That could be construed as hateful. And some of the stuff people write about Cheney, you can't tell me its not hateful?

Again forgive me but I really think you are just overeacting. Ultimately Dailykos was looking for free tickets, and they got them... I don't think they were looking for Jet Blue to validate the DailyKos site.

The main point though is: CHANGE THE NAME of the conference. Then you wouldn't have these problems. I understand thats coming.

Anyways, peace my brother peace. THere is too much hatred in the world. I will go for a walk.

by lafinur 2007-07-20 12:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

It's too broad a sweep to call a whole site hateful based on some content; and besides, my point was that it was a stupid move by a CEO to piss off millions of people by calling them hateful-- just dumb business.

by Jerome Armstrong 2007-07-20 12:17PM | 0 recs

Millions huh?

You have got to be kidding.

by lafinur 2007-07-25 07:36PM | 0 recs

"I will go for a walk."

Good.  Concern-troll hand-wringing is exactly what our side does not need right now.  Your 'tude is a Rx for losing.

by jgarcia 2007-07-20 12:54PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

Might I suggest your walk involve a lake.

by Tad 2007-07-20 01:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

Yes, it was a poor way to put things.  Maybe he was agreeing with O'Reilly, maybe he was just trying to state the truism that "hateful things are bad," but if people are getting pissed off then by definition you've engaged in bad PR.

The issue here is really quite simple.  We in the netroots are accustomed to the dynamic that if you negotiate with terrorists, and you know who I'm talking about, then you just encourage more acts of terrorism.  For example, if the right-wing blogs call out for an apology on something, and they get their way, they're just more empowered to do the same thing again and again.

Publicly traded companies like JetBlue don't think that way.  They don't worry about what will happen if they encourage the terrorists, they just want to avoid controversy and be as vanilla as possible.  It doesn't matter that Bill O'Reilly's crusade is bullshit - they have no conceivable reason to take some dramatic "We Stand With Yearly Kos" stand.  That's not what they're about.

by Steve M 2007-07-20 01:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

It would be neutral IF AND ONLY IF there hadn't been an initial support that is now being pulled.  By caving to complaints from one side, JetBlue is inherently validating O'Reilly's screeds concerning DailyKos, which is not a neutral act for them to take.

by Jay R 2007-07-20 01:26PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

What, exactly, was pulled?  They're still donating the tickets.

by Steve M 2007-07-20 02:01PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

Their title of "sponsor," which was not insignificant.  Having corporate sponsorship of a netroots event might be corrupting/polluting, but in some senses it also served as a validation that we are a legitimate movement worthy of recognition.  We went from that to being Naziesque hate-mongers in the span of a letter.

The point I'm trying to make is they tried to split the baby and ended up with two angry sides instead of one, and a giant mess to boot.  I don't know how corporate PR works, but if this kind of screw-up happened on any campaign I've ever worked the communications team would be out the door before close of business.

by Jay R 2007-07-20 06:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

Somewhat related, the guy who blogs for Susan Collins has a post echoing claims that DailyKos is a hate site...and his post ends with "H/T Michelle Malkin."

I read it, then I needed a drink of scotch to make teh stoopid stop hurting.

by Jay R 2007-07-20 12:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

well just remember this when someone sponsors an exstreme right wing event send oberman after them.

by orin76 2007-07-20 12:13PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

actually i sent count down an email suggesting they get a list of "right wing hate groups" companies are sponsoring and read them on tv.

by orin76 2007-07-20 12:19PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

Truth be told, the JetBlue CEO is a putz.  He was woefully inept at responding to O'Reilly's obnoxious little minion outside his apartment.  Even though one could make the case that he was "ambushed", he could have refuted O'Reillys ridiculous assertions easily; instead, he appeared totally flummoxed and stammered like a child.  His behavior over the past two days indicates hasn't changed my initial impression of him.  A smarter guy could have dispensed with that nonsense easily.  The guy won't last long after this controversey.

by triggerfish 2007-07-20 12:23PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

He could have just said.. "no comment" and walked away... several times he started walking, but it seemed like he WANTED to talk to that putz...

I can't believe that guy gets paid 100,000 times more than I do!

Thanks,

Mike

by lordmikethegreat 2007-07-20 08:05PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

This is unfortunate. JetBlue allowed O'Reilly to define their support and thus destroy it. This is what O'Reilly and so many of his ilk do. It's from the Neocon play book. Page 1.

But this should really fire up the folks at YearlyKos!

Good for Hillary.

by DoIT 2007-07-20 12:44PM | 0 recs
Jet Blue on drugs?

I have to infer from this post that someone has been smokin' something, and it ain't JetBlue.

by ImaJoeBob 2007-07-20 12:51PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

For what it's worth, my experiences at DailyKos agree with the idea that it's a "hate site." The signal to noise ration there is abhorrent. Most of the comments are personal attacks.

I got an account there and made two diaries. One about some military news, and then another on some issues I had with John Edwards. Within half an hour of making a diary arguing respectfully that John Edwards was not a good candidate for President, I was banned permanently, and rather rudely by one of the moderators there, being called names and threatened with physical violence.

If DailyKos isn't a hate site, I don't know what is.

by Pope Jeremy 2007-07-20 01:03PM | 0 recs
well, I didn't read your diaries

But I've been posting there for a long time (not many diaries, mostly comments), and rarely have I even been troll-rated. I did make a bunch of Obama supporters angry with one diary, and a bunch of Clinton supporters angry with a different diary, but I would never characterize the site as "hateful."

A lot of diaries make the case for or against a candidate without the diarist getting banned.

It's a large community, and like every community has a few jerks, but they do not dominate the discussion.

by desmoinesdem 2007-07-20 03:06PM | 0 recs
Re: well, I didn't read your diaries

My experience is quite the opposite, I suppose. It was the nearly instant banning after questioning John Edwards that really makes me question who runs the show over there. I didn't believe it would happen until it happened to me. DailyKos censors with a mighty fist.

by Pope Jeremy 2007-07-20 08:59PM | 0 recs
Maybe because your diary

didnt just "question" John Edwards. You wrote a hit peice full of lies you called truth and you were banned for it.

by okamichan13 2007-07-21 10:13AM | 0 recs
Re: Maybe because your diary

There was not a single lie in my post. And if there were factual errors, no mod bothered to tell me. I was just banned immediately.

I would have welcomed a correction if I was wrong about anything I posted. The fact that no one questioned any one of my points with a factual correction tells me that they were in fact true, and that DailyKos just didn't want to deal with it.

by Pope Jeremy 2007-07-21 06:22PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

I am amazed that with YearlyKos coming up with them attending, neither Obama nor Edwards have issued a statement condemning O'Reilly's comments towards Dkos and the left blogosphere.   It need not be as strong as Clinton's statement and petition page on her website are, a simple memo, even a one-liner would have sufficed.   Instead, nothing.   Why?

by georgep 2007-07-20 02:03PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

Are they ready to concede 'dailykos' to Hillary? LOL. Music to my ears.

by areyouready 2007-07-20 02:08PM | 0 recs
It's strange, isn't it?

Obama hasn't even commented on my neighbor's "W" sticker. These guys need to get with the program.

by OfficeOfLife 2007-07-20 02:21PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

Right there with you George. I have no idea why we haven't heard a word from any other campaign. This is the time for ALL Democrats to come together and stick up for and stand up with each other.

by DoIT 2007-07-20 02:57PM | 0 recs
Gee

and maybe her campaign will even start interacting on the site they are defending.

Or maybe not

Last time Peter Daod posted he said he would answer everyones' questions and left his diary 5 minutes after.

by okamichan13 2007-07-21 10:15AM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

I have no dog in the JetBlue / Daily Kos fight.  But, it does appear to me that a few of the persons posting comments should immediately seek a mental status examination.  From my professional perspective, a portion of the comments could rightfully be classfied as hate speech.

If you want to be treated as functioning, rational adults.  Act like you are.

by Lewisj 2007-07-20 02:06PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

If one of my statements is causing you to impugn my mental health condition, then you're an idiot.

If not, then perhaps you're just a sanctimonious irritant.  Either way, your comment adds nothing to the discussion.

by jgarcia 2007-07-20 02:37PM | 0 recs

ditto.

by lafinur 2007-07-25 07:33PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

Why dont we email to Jet Blue the hateful things Bill O Reilly and FOx says on their show and channel.

by jasmine 2007-07-20 02:10PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

I don't quite understand what JetBlue was going to do before that they will not do now. Everybody realizes that JetBlue was NOT endorsing the politics of YearlyKos, right? They donated 10 free tickets. That's all they ever planned to do.

by OfficeOfLife 2007-07-20 02:18PM | 0 recs
Filtered vs. Mostly Unfiltered

Yes, we should perhaps make a record of all of the falsehoods that Faux News perpetuates, and systematically email their corporate sponsors that they are explicitly in support of their right wing mis-information hate campaign.

As for DKos, the explosive popularity of blogging in general is in response to the very poor information and debate we get from MSM, and especiually Faux News.

In this regard and in our campaign to inform corporations, it should be made clear that Faux News and such undergo strict editorial manipulation and revision, whereas by its very nature, the blogosphere is an open market of ideas and information, where many viewpoints and debate is fundamental to its' existence.

by msnstd 2007-07-20 02:32PM | 0 recs

by msnstd 2007-07-20 02:32PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

Well, HRC could tell Murdoch to tell O'Reilly, herself, but I don't blame her for this opportunity to gather email addresses.

by Newsie8200 2007-07-20 05:15PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

This is a bit ridiculous. Obviously, JetBlue is no friend to Daily Kos, nor should it be--it's an airline company. And clearly it's backed away from its prior claim of "sponsoring" Yearly Kos. However, many people in the thread are reading far too much into the statement released by the CEO. It did not say that Daily Kos was a "hateful" website, or even really imply such a thing. It's merely absolving JetBlue of any sort of substantive connection to Daily Kos, which is an appropriate and justifiable PR move.

If JetBlue's statement "pisses off millions of people," that would be pretty sad IMO. However, I doubt it. Maybe a couple thousand people will be angry?

by Korha 2007-07-20 06:16PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

Whatever. JetBlue has great rates and awesome service. I'll fly on their airline whether they like DailyKos or not.

by Pope Jeremy 2007-07-20 09:07PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

Awesome service, huh?  Tell that to the thousands of stranded customers they left high and dry for days and days.  This is just another example of that awesome management skill this guy brings to the table.  Maybe it's all just purely political, as he admits in his letter.

by VizierVic 2007-07-21 05:06AM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

That's a cheap shot. That one one screw up. Anybody can screw up once.

As someone who flies on airplanes a lot, and who has basically flown on every major airline, trust me, JetBlue rocks. I can't recommend them enough.

by Pope Jeremy 2007-07-21 08:41AM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

I guess my point of view is unpopular or makes me a corporate shill, but honestly that JetBlue statement doesn't surprise me.

Corporations are cowards, plain and simple. No one should depend on them to stand up for any cause, no matter how just. They supported YKos not for the content but for the advertising. And perhaps they were foolish to not look more closely or be prepared to defend themselves in case of an attack. In any case, there was an attack. And Bill O' forced them into the horrible position of having to look like it's taking sides.

The act of advertising generally has no political affiliation. Yes, it's true that JetBlue may advertise on Fox, Logo, Current, etc. but that doesn't necessarily mean that JetBlue is a company of conservative, gay, environmentalists. As soon as its sponsorship became a matter of right vs. left, JetBlue had few options. Do they anger right-wingers who watch FoxNews, progressives on the internet, or is there a way to back out of the whole dispute? I don't think they could have won in this situation. And if that makes me some kind of corporate apologist, so be it.

by bowiegeek 2007-07-21 01:09PM | 0 recs
Re: Jet Blue on drugs

Ok seriously people.  Here's the deal.  ONE person in Marketing decided to take it upon himself to  support DKos.  He did not go through the proper channels within Marketing to get sponsorship approval.  The Marketing dept. has a sponsorship team that rigorously screens all events and groups it associates withs o that something like this WON'T happen.  They always have been and continue to be a neutral organization in that regard.

The fact that Dave Barger was ambushed outside his apartment on the Bill O. show was ridiculous given that he honestly knew NOTHING about this deal.  And I guarantee, when he got to work, he went straight to the head of Marketing to find out what the hell just happened.

His letter clearly explains the situation and in fact does one better for the organization.  Rather than hanging that individual out to dry or making a scapegoat out of him, Dave generalizes this as a Marketing error -- a true testament to the organization and culture which forgives mistakes.

I'm sure the Marketing folks will take some action against the joker who put his beliefs before the organization, but honestly, Dave did nothing wrong and is correct in trying to distance JetBlue from this type of affiliation.  JetBlue NEVER suported the DailyKos and I think they've proven they are NOT cowards given the fact that David Neeleman stepped up to the plate when everyone overreacted over the Valentine's Day debacle.

It's amazing that one guy can screw up the entire reputation of a company because he decided to do things on his own rather than go through the proper channels.  Think about it, would JetBlue honestly go into some ridiculous sponsorship NOT knowing what they were getting themselves into and especially not prepping their CEO on such a politically charged issue?!

Stop jumping to conclusions, taking sides, etc.  One guy screwed up and now JetBlue end up in a no-win situation because people see them as cowards for pulling the "sponsorship" and as political extremists for having supported this in the first place.  Years of building a solid brand thrown into jeopardy over one stupid employee's actions.  Unbelievable.

by zebraxis 2007-07-22 11:50PM | 0 recs